BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2009-04-23 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2105318

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: RPE and a minor rant
tkd.teacher - 2009-04-23 11:38 AM IOh, and for those of you with significant others, buy them something nice and unexpected since they are supporting your training, and stuff. Flowers are always good.

This is so key. I was just thinking today about how grateful I am to have my husband's support. I do most of my training when the kids are asleep, but that means I'm cutting out a lot of the alone time we used to have. He's also been understanding about the way the housework has slid down my list of priorities and the weird things I keep buying. I don't know what to get him as a thank you, but I'm sure I will think of something this weekend!

What are the rules about OWS? I know you need a partner, but is it okay just to have someone watch you from the shore? Could I go to the beach with my family and swim while my husband watches the kids? Or do I need someone paying attention specifically to me? Where can you meet people who are also looking for OWS buddies? I have a friend, but I think I may want to do more OWS training than she does.

2009-04-23 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2106181

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: RPE and a minor rant
trysprintolympic - 2009-04-23 1:26 PM
tkd.teacher - 2009-04-23 11:38 AM IOh, and for those of you with significant others, buy them something nice and unexpected since they are supporting your training, and stuff. Flowers are always good.

This is so key. I was just thinking today about how grateful I am to have my husband's support. I do most of my training when the kids are asleep, but that means I'm cutting out a lot of the alone time we used to have. He's also been understanding about the way the housework has slid down my list of priorities and the weird things I keep buying. I don't know what to get him as a thank you, but I'm sure I will think of something this weekend!

What are the rules about OWS? I know you need a partner, but is it okay just to have someone watch you from the shore? Could I go to the beach with my family and swim while my husband watches the kids? Or do I need someone paying attention specifically to me? Where can you meet people who are also looking for OWS buddies? I have a friend, but I think I may want to do more OWS training than she does.

You can have someone watching you from shore, but if something happens, it's will be however long it takes that person to notice a problem and then swim out to you. Ideally, you are swimming with a group and/or a support kayak.

If you go to the beach, you can go out to where you can still stand up (maybe chest height), and swim parallel to the shore. That way if something goes awry (cramp/whatever) you can just simply stand up.

As far as finding others, put a post in your state specific forum on here. There are always people around doing OWS.

John
2009-04-23 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2106015

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Team No DNF - FULL
zachkoe - 2009-04-23 12:26 PM I think frustration is the word of the day for me. I feel like training has been going well and then I go to my knee dr. today. I ended up with another cortisone shot and told I am not allowed to run more than 8-10mi. a week (for the rest of my life) and that he was not happy with me doing that much but he was willing to give me a small bone (i don't have a lateral meniscus on my right knee). Now they diagnosed me with tendonitis ( last month it was bursitis).
so now I have to take a few days off. hopefully everyone elses training is going better than mine.

wow, that just sucks!! I'm sorry to hear that, but it's good you've got a doctor that you can count on and who understands the need to train. Take care of you, follow the docs advice. Walking when you're 65 is much more important than triathlons now.

If running continues to be a real bugaboo, you could conceivable train primarily in swim/bike, and do team relay kind of stuff. Maybe not the ideal solution, but something to consider.

Hopefully the tendonitis will subside. And, 10 miles a week (Especially for a sprint) isn't too bad, as long as you make sure they are quality runs.

Hang in there, get better quick!

John
2009-04-23 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2068595

User image

Expert
I ran tonight and my ankles felt weak - there's just no other way to describe it. They didn't hurt, but they felt weak and did almost the whole way. What could cause this? Should I do any ankle-specific strengthening exercises? I've never heard of something like this before.
2009-04-23 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto

Got to yoga tonight. Hadn't had this particular instructor before and while she had a relaxing manner she seemed to put us in some risky positions - making my right knee hurt a bit.

So I went in the hot tub at the gym. I wasn't going to get to swim as it was and open session with kids jumping around. But I decided to give it a go and the kids (who were in their early teens) politely got out of the way when I came near them. So I'm glad I didn't give it away and not try. I made a point to thank them in front of their mom.

Gotta say, I'm looking forward to the day off tomorrow - lets hope this cold takes a leave from my head during the next 24 hours.

GOing to get out on the bike Sat.

Fi

2009-04-24 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2106846

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
trysprintolympic - 2009-04-23 6:12 PM I ran tonight and my ankles felt weak - there's just no other way to describe it. They didn't hurt, but they felt weak and did almost the whole way. What could cause this? Should I do any ankle-specific strengthening exercises? I've never heard of something like this before.

Did they hurt as well, or just feel "weak"? I've had that occasionally, and I don't know what causes it. Usually I just ignore it and it rarely happens again anytime soon. I think it's just "one of those things", but you might post it as a question in the main forum. If there is associated pain, def something to get checked out.

John

2009-04-24 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2106951

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
alexenafi - 2009-04-23 6:57 PM

Got to yoga tonight. Hadn't had this particular instructor before and while she had a relaxing manner she seemed to put us in some risky positions - making my right knee hurt a bit.

So I went in the hot tub at the gym. I wasn't going to get to swim as it was and open session with kids jumping around. But I decided to give it a go and the kids (who were in their early teens) politely got out of the way when I came near them. So I'm glad I didn't give it away and not try. I made a point to thank them in front of their mom.

Gotta say, I'm looking forward to the day off tomorrow - lets hope this cold takes a leave from my head during the next 24 hours.

GOing to get out on the bike Sat.

Fi

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the end of April and I can stop all the 2 a days that I've been doing this month. Mini taper for a sprint in mid May, and then back to a "normal" training schedule.

These challenges that abound here can kill a guy!!

John
2009-04-24 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Knee is completely fine now. Home from work with a head cold/sore throat.

John, Do you think I should take the ex's bike in the store to get fitted for me? It's only $50 and then I will know for sure what size bike I should be looking at when I'm ready to get my own. I got quickly measured last weekend at the outlet version of the same store and they said I was a 54/53. But would be good to have the proper measure up.

Fi
2009-04-24 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2108033

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
alexenafi - 2009-04-24 9:35 AM Knee is completely fine now. Home from work with a head cold/sore throat.

John, Do you think I should take the ex's bike in the store to get fitted for me? It's only $50 and then I will know for sure what size bike I should be looking at when I'm ready to get my own. I got quickly measured last weekend at the outlet version of the same store and they said I was a 54/53. But would be good to have the proper measure up.

Fi

If you are going to be riding the bike for training and/or triathlons, definitely have it fitted to you. Develop a good relationship with the LBS, they can be the best thing ever! Also, take a look around, the local tri store that I frequent has a "back room" where other triathletes put stuff they have for sale, etc. you can get some nice deals.

Also, talk to the LBS, they may eventually credit the cost of the fitting to a new bike when you decide on one.

John
2009-04-24 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2108091

User image

Veteran
Toronto
tkd.teacher - 2009-04-24 12:57 PM
alexenafi - 2009-04-24 9:35 AM Knee is completely fine now. Home from work with a head cold/sore throat.

Fi

If you are going to be riding the bike for training and/or triathlons, definitely have it fitted to you. Develop a good relationship with the LBS, they can be the best thing ever! Also, take a look around, the local tri store that I frequent has a "back room" where other triathletes put stuff they have for sale, etc. you can get some nice deals.

Also, talk to the LBS, they may eventually credit the cost of the fitting to a new bike when you decide on one.

John

Thanks John,
I spoke to the most experienced fit guy at the LBS and he suggested riding on Kyle's bike for a couple of weeks and getting the feel for it (as it's free to use) and then going in and getting a fit ($50 for half an hour - a quick fit, or $100 for an hour fit). That way I will have info to give them - like "it's feeling uncomfortable here.." etc.
If I buy it will likely be 2nd hand - unless I find a good LBS deal.

Fi
2009-04-24 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2108156

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Just thought I'd kick off the weekend with one of my favorite nostalgia type of songs. It's a song about what it takes to make it to the absolute top in a very cut throat business (rock and roll bands), by Dee Snyder, lead singer for an older (although still touring!) group called Twisted Sister. It's called "The Price", and sung as a quasi ballad.

HOW LONG I HAVE WANTED
THIS DREAM TO COME TRUE
AND AS IT APPROACHES
I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M THROUGH
I'VE TRIED,
OH, HOW I'VE TRIED
FOR A LIFE, YES A LIFE
I THOUGHT I KNEW

OH IT'S THE PRICE WE GOTTA PAY
AND ALL THE GAMES WE GOTTA PLAY
MAKES ME WONDER IF IT'S WORTH IT TO CARRY ON
'CAUSE IT'S A GAME WE GOTTA LOSE,
THOUGH IT'S A LIFE WE GOTTA CHOOSE
AND THE PRICE IS OUR OWN LIFE UNTIL IT'S DONE

TIME SEEMS TO HAVE FROZEN,
BUT THE MIND CAN BE FOOLED
AS THE DAYS PASS I DISCOVER
DESTINY JUST CAN'T BE RULED
HARD TIMES,
OH HARD TIMES,
FOR THE PRIZE, YES THE PRIZE,
I THOUGHT I KNEW

John

2009-04-24 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Things that make you go "hmmm"... Thanks for sharing!

On a different note, where are everyone's arms during the breathing part of their swim stroke? Most advice/video I see, people breathe while their lead arm is extended and their recovering arm is up. When I breathe, my recovery arm is still somewhat behind me and my lead arm is already pulling back for the body rotation (does that picture make sense?). What exactly am I missing here?
2009-04-24 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2109233

User image

On your right
Jenna, for me, it's more based on my pace.  If I'm sprinting, I'll be more into my pull with my lead arm when I get my breath.  But if it's just my regular lap pace, I try to keep my lead arm out there a little longer just so I can stay more front quadrant and long while I'm breathing.

Does that make sense, or help at all?  Most likely not as I'm such a new swimmer.
2009-04-24 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2109233

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
trysprintolympic - 2009-04-24 7:14 PM Things that make you go "hmmm"... Thanks for sharing!

On a different note, where are everyone's arms during the breathing part of their swim stroke? Most advice/video I see, people breathe while their lead arm is extended and their recovering arm is up. When I breathe, my recovery arm is still somewhat behind me and my lead arm is already pulling back for the body rotation (does that picture make sense?). What exactly am I missing here?

I'd like to see it, but it sounds like you are missing some of the glide phase of the swim stroke, and possibly not fully pulling through (Might just be a timing issue, hard to tell without a video). As I swim, my breathing occurs right as my recovery arm is coming out of the water, and my head kind of "follows" it along. As my arm gets close to entering the water, my other hand is just beginning it's pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6qIhkuzTx0

Grant hackett. You can see as he breaths, his right arm almost seems connected to his head, and as the arm comes through, so does the head. The left arm starts the pull a brief bit before the right enters the water.

John

2009-04-25 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
I did it!!! I overcame my biggest Tri fear - riding in clipless pedals. I think I had overthought it so much that the reality wasn't bad at all. If anything I found clipping them in harder than clipping them out.

Looking forward to my next ride.

Fi
2009-04-25 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2109768

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
alexenafi - 2009-04-25 1:01 PM I did it!!! I overcame my biggest Tri fear - riding in clipless pedals. I think I had overthought it so much that the reality wasn't bad at all. If anything I found clipping them in harder than clipping them out.

Looking forward to my next ride.

Fi

Congrats on that one.  I have yet to hit the actual road with my clipless yet, but I was hoping this weekend I would be able to.  Too bad it just started to thunderstorm, and it looks like this for the next 4 days. 

2009-04-25 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
i was swimming today and felt like I was sinking, just couldn't keep my hips and legs from dropping down. Never had it happen, what sort of things can I work on to help prevent this?
2009-04-25 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
That's great about the pedals, Fi! I was looking forward to getting my first real ride with them in tomorrow - but it's looking like rain here too.

As for sinking when you swim, TI teaches you to "press your buoy", by which they mean to lean on your lungs. The lungs are filled with air and act as the balancing point - when you shift your weight onto them, your hips and legs come up; when you try to balance from your core, your legs will sink. When you swim in TI form, you should feel like you are swimming downhill! Good luck, I'm still struggling with my swim stroke too!
2009-04-25 9:15 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
I hear you on the swimming.  While at the pool today, I was trying to watch a couple guys that were just flying in the pool, trying to get some sort of a hint from them as to what they were doing and I wasn't.  Talked with them a little after the workout and they were both triathletes, but they had both been competitive swimmers.

I know that if I lose the drag swim trunks (not yet ready to rock a jammer or speedo), I'll pick up a couple seconds, but I don't see how I could drop my times from where they are now (around 2:20 / 100) to hit that mystical 2:00 minute mark or below.  I've watched the videos that John has put up and I just marvel at these guys that make it look so effortless.  I've investigated some coaching around the area, but I swim at the local high school as well as the aquatic center at my alma mater. 
2009-04-26 3:31 AM
in reply to: #2110522

User image

On your right
There's no time like the present to get yourself some jammers.  I was 280 when I got mine, and while I'm sure it didn't make a big time difference (I really have no idea, as I can't even read the lap clock without my glasses on) they just feel better in the water.  Nobody will give you crap about wearing the new shorts.  Well, a set of brief style speedos may get a few odd looks, but not many people can pull that look off...

Anyhow, you might as well get them and get used to them.
2009-04-26 9:13 AM

User image

Speaking of swimming... I'm meeting with my swim coach today for the first time!  We'll see how that works out.  Hopefully she can fix this train wreck!  Everyone else having a good weekend of training?

2009-04-26 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto

Good morning everyone.

Yeah, go ahead and get the jammers. I got tri shorts. Not the most flattering look but I figure it can only get better. And you just feel more like "the business".

This cold is still around. Going to get out and run today. The storm hit here yesterday afternoon and now it's just a bit grey and a lot cooler.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Fi

2009-04-26 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
It ended up being a sensational weekend here! No rain at all! I had a great Off Day yesterday and a beautiful bike ride this morning. I did my first long ride with my clipless pedals and it was great.

Then I passed a yard sale that had an old racing bike for sale. It's a bit too big for me, but for $40 I couldn't pass it up. I'm going to see what I like better (the oversized racing bike or super-heavy MTB) this season, then I'm going to get a REAL bike after my OLY.

Hope everyone else is enjoying some sunshine!
2009-04-26 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2110351

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
trysprintolympic - 2009-04-25 5:11 PM That's great about the pedals, Fi! I was looking forward to getting my first real ride with them in tomorrow - but it's looking like rain here too.

As for sinking when you swim, TI teaches you to "press your buoy", by which they mean to lean on your lungs. The lungs are filled with air and act as the balancing point - when you shift your weight onto them, your hips and legs come up; when you try to balance from your core, your legs will sink. When you swim in TI form, you should feel like you are swimming downhill! Good luck, I'm still struggling with my swim stroke too!

Yep. I call that being "long" in the water. What I do is kind of picture "pushing" the bottom of my ribcage at the bottom of the pool a bit and then stretching my reach way out.

A couple of other things that could cause your hips to sink - inefficient kick, lifting the head too high.

John
2009-04-26 1:24 PM

User image

Just got back from my session w/ the swim instructor.  Completely exhausting.  In particular, I'm pretty sure that using a kick board and only flutter kicking is the hardest way for humans to locomote.  I'd rather walk whilst being chained to a semi-truck.  But she showed me some useful drills, so hopefully that will improve things.  Already changed the way my hands enter the water.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24