BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-04-30 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2121191

NW PA
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
What a great tribute. Smoke 'em on Sunday

2009-04-30 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)

gcoller - 2009-04-30 1:46 PM A year ago today, I lost my sister-in-law.  Today her writing is up for another prestigious award. Read her story if you wish:
http://www.glamour.com/magazine/2008/05/essay-winner-surviving-cancer

I'm going to put her name on my Tri-top on Sunday.  I'm going to do this for her, and for me (as she would have loved to see this)!

Grace - that's a very moving tribute.  Good luck in the race!

2009-04-30 3:18 PM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
gcoller - 2009-04-30 12:46 PM A year ago today, I lost my sister-in-law.  Today her writing is up for another prestigious award. Read her story if you wish:
http://www.glamour.com/magazine/2008/05/essay-winner-surviving-cancer

I'm going to put her name on my Tri-top on Sunday.  I'm going to do this for her, and for me (as she would have loved to see this)!

Grace ~ VERY POWERFUL... Thank you for sharing that with us!  Andrea was a super talented writer and her words resonate the solemn truth of such a terrible disease.  I am sorry for you and your family's loss, and it is such a wonderful tribute to Andrea to wear proudly her name as you race for you and her!  Good luck, have a wonderful race, and you and Andrea crush that Tri course!
2009-05-01 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2070412

User image

See if y'all are up for this...  in my last Mentor group, at the end of each month ~ we would post a self assessment for the past month.  A brief look at where we are, did we achieve the goals for that month, set backs, positives, or other general comments about training, racing or what ever for that month...   Here's mine, and if y'all are interested in posting, I (personally) would be interested in reading...  *cheers* To the up coming month! Let's make May anothe great month of training as we all prepare for the Tri's to come!

April, for me, started out like a house-a-fire and kinda fizzled the last week of the month... Overall, I am satisfied with my training for the month.  I am very pleased with my consistency in the water and the improvements I have been seeing the last two months.  I still need to focus much more attention on my biking (saddle time as well as intensity) and I am going to work toward that in May.  I feel my consistency in training was strong, but my balance was still a little off.  Equal ratios of each discipline... follow coached plan more closely...if only my work schedule would permit it!  I was pleased with my race this month, and I am looking forward to upcoming races!
2009-05-01 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2123285

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

My April assessment:

Was following a hyrbid Hal Higdon half-marathon training plan in advance of the Derby HM.

Then tore my left medial gastroc (i.e. "calf").  Doc said "NO RUNNING FOR YOU!" . . .  for, like, 8 weeks.

That meant no half marathon and likely no May sprint.  But it hasn't been all bad.  In the absence of running, my bike and swim volumes have picked up significantly.  On my first rides outside this year, I discovered that all the time on the trainer over the winter really helped, with my speeds averaging more than 1mph greater than similar routes at the end of last year.  I'm still slow, but slowly getting faster.

Also, more time in the pool as really helped.  My form is still terrible, and I'm still quite slow, but I shaved more than 30" of my 100m time and hoping to get under 2'/100 very soon.

A bad night of food poisoning threw one week in the garbage, but otherwise it was a very solid month.

2009-05-01 10:23 AM

User image

Master
My April Self Assessment:

I had originally planned on running a half-marathon at the beginning of April.  After feeling beyond in training I ramped up miles to quickly and really had to rest my legs (was starting to feel IT Band issue) and opt out of the half-marathon.

My swimming has been improving due to coaching but I really need more consistency in getting to the pool and willingness to push myself harder.

I think my running is back to an "improving" mode after resting and reducing mileage a bit.  Now I need to stick to my plan and run regularly while ramping up mileage.  I was really happy with my zone 2 run this week as I felt I was able to maintain a decent pace at a low level of exertion.  Legs felt tired but I was able to keep going.

For biking I have moved away from spin classes and am focusing on riding outside when I can (weekends?) and on the trainer other times.  While I feel spin classes give me a good workout I find my bike on my kurt kinetic trainer to be "more" of a workout. 

In all of my weeks my training volume did not equal that that was planned.  With work, family, etc. I am having great difficulty getting up early for my workouts (evening workouts don't work with family commitments).  On top of that we have been dealing with some emotional issues with my 10 year old that have been mentally exhausting me. 

That being said, my goal in May is adhere better to my plan and deal better with the above discussed limiters.

2009-05-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2123325

Regular
Newport Beach

April Assessment

Component:

Pro

Con

Swim

1. Back in the water
2.  each subsequent swim felt better than previous. 
3.  2 to 3 months of consistent swimming should have me back in decent shape

1. First swim very demoralizing - felt like I was drowning

Bike

1.  Added biking to workout routine

1. limited to trainer (nothing on road until mid June due to time conflicts)

Run

1.  Started walking in January; by April run/jog without stopping for 35 to 40mins (3.5 to 4 miles)

1. injury - week of 4/20
2. not setting any speed records

This last week of April has been a wash dealing with kids' health issues; looking to resume back to normal next week.  Need to keep "big picture" perspective and to continue plugging away.  Hoping that May will lead to more improvement in all three disciplines.

Thanks for the idea Justin - very useful in keeping focus and in knowing that we all must deal with competing time factors, be it family, work, injuries, etc.

2009-05-01 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

April:
After finishing the 1/2 marathon in the end of March, I wanted to focus on the run/bike/run for the Duathlon last week.  I was pleased with my performance there.  I gained a lot of strength on the bike this past winter through spin class and my fluid trainer.  I plan to ride outdoors more since the weather is starting to cooperate.  I also gained a lot of muscle strength by lifting 4 times a week at the gym. My weight workouts will decrease now so I can focus on the 3 disciplines:  run, bike, swim.  I recently joined the Y so I could start swimming again.  That is a big goal that I accomplished, just getting in the pool on a regualr basis for workouts.
Now I need to focus more on my swimming.  I need to practice swim drills and possilby get coaching on my mechanics depending on the price.
Then there are my children, husband, and occupation.  It is certainly a balancing act but I love it!  I know that I am modeling a healthy lifestyle for my girls.

2009-05-01 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran

April 2009 Goals:

Eat at 1,550 calorie threshold (+ earned calories) for one month 63%  I based this on the days I tracked and did well. I think I calculated before I was all the way through so I might be one or two percentage points off.

Strength train 2X/week (PT counts in a bind)   Average 1.8  Not bad at all!

Cardio at least 4X/week (5 would be better Average 5.5 Wow I'm happy with this.

Overall, a very solid month for me.  I am happy with myself and my effort.  I need to remember this when I'm racing...I've put in the work. There's a lot more than luck to triathloning.

May 2009 Goals:

Log calories 6/7 days/week, 7 would be better.

Cardio 5X/week, 6 would be better.

Strength 2X/week, 3 would be better.

Complete 80% of planned training.

Compete in my first triathlon.

Edited by gcoller 2009-05-01 12:27 PM
2009-05-01 12:42 PM

User image

WOW!  That's some great feedback guys!  Some very solid monthly reports/assessments.  Looks like everyone is making some great strides towards improvements.  And keeping the longer term goals in perspective, as we are just getting started with this season.  Thanks for the kind reception to this idea.

I hope everyone has a great weekend filled with racing (Grace! ~ you'll do Awesome), training, and fun ~ don't forget to squeeze in some relaxation too!  Thanks again for the motivating reads!  Keep up the great work everyone!
2009-05-01 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
- I stretched to 12K on the run.  Good for me.  Did it twice.  Third time will be on Saturday during the event I've been training for.  

- Bike workouts have been really strong.  Exceeding goals, time limits, etc.  I'm happy, coach is happy.  I've increased from 225 watts FTP to 245 watts earlier this month and judging by recent performance, the coach thinks that's going to rise again when I'm tested in a couple of weeks. 

-  Swimming with Masters twice a week, focusing on bilateral breathing, rolling side to side, the "catch" and the kick.  The coach was very complementary on Thursday when I did 1200 continuous.  Felt really strong, easy.  As he says, "Easy is faster." 

I'm feeling really good.  Loving every minute - well, most minutes.  Not so happy the first 5 minutes of the run or in a downpour with 40 mph winds on the bike.  But, what the heck?  

Edited by IceManScott 2009-05-01 1:36 PM

2009-05-01 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2123911

User image

Veteran
Thanks, Tri...I loved the idea of sharing monthly goal status.  I think it's just another great way this group works together and supports one another so well.  I rave about our group to anyone who will listen.  I truly feel we give one another a competitive edge.
2009-05-01 8:03 PM

Freeland

Bad news, my back spasims are back.  It happened last Tuesday when beleive it or not I was folding laundry.  I reached out and i toppled over like I was shot.  I finished folding and then picked up some towels to put away took 3 steps and fell over like a tree, could not move or get up.  Layed there for about 45 min and then drove myself to the emergency room.  Got a shot, muscle relaxers and Ibuprofen 800.  Will try and start my own rehab on Saturday depending.  I am mad because I had just worked out 3 days in a row and was going for a fourth before this.  I am frustrated to say the least.  Oh well what can ya do?  I will take it easy and be patient.

2009-05-01 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2124957

User image

Our thoughts are with ya...back problems are the worst; and they usually happen in the dumbest ways when you least expect them to!  Just take it slow and easy, give it time so that it can heal completely.  Good luck~and great job on the consistency before the injury... have faith that you will be back in no time!  Keep us posted!!!   

jwheat - 2009-05-01 8:03 PM

Bad news, my back spasims are back.  It happened last Tuesday when beleive it or not I was folding laundry.  I reached out and i toppled over like I was shot.  I finished folding and then picked up some towels to put away took 3 steps and fell over like a tree, could not move or get up.  Layed there for about 45 min and then drove myself to the emergency room.  Got a shot, muscle relaxers and Ibuprofen 800.  Will try and start my own rehab on Saturday depending.  I am mad because I had just worked out 3 days in a row and was going for a fourth before this.  I am frustrated to say the least.  Oh well what can ya do?  I will take it easy and be patient.

2009-05-02 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2124957

User image

Veteran
Sorry, Jwheat. That's rough.  The key to success is seems to be never giving up.  So, like you said...heal up and keep trying.  I'll say a little prayer to the back gods for you.
2009-05-03 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
I'M A TRIATHLETE!   Official times, etc. are yet to come, but here is what I have so far:

(Bike and Run times include transition times...they were not timed separately):

Swim: 5/84, 5:30 (300 Yards)
Bike: 5/93, 30:38 (9 miles + T1)
Run: 10/138, 36:45 (5K + T2)

Overall: 8/136, 1:12:53

I think the first numbers (X/XXX) are AG figures?  I am floored at how fun this was.  That is what amazed me the most.  How much FUN it was! 

Race Report is coming

2009-05-03 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2126648

User image

Master
Maryland
Congrats on your great performance in your race!! Glad you had fun too!!  You are awesome!
2009-05-03 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2126648

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Great job Grace!  You rock!

2009-05-03 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Grace, you set the bar very high.  I am proud of you.  I'm sure there was someone else very proud of you too for your effort on her behalf.  You do rock.  

The race went as well as I hoped.  I rode the 13 miles to the lake to avoid parking problems.  Ran 12K, 7.5 miles, at 10:10 pace for 1:15:47.  No speed demon but I was pleased I did that well.  That pace is what I was doing 5K at earlier this year.  So joining the running club did what I hoped.  It stretched me to be able to run farther.  Hopefully that will translate to faster 5K and 10 K at the triathlons coming up. 

I also have to get involved with another running program to build on the progress.  Unsure what that will be. 

After the race, my bike coach and I rode another 30 miles and home.  Then, today, I did 50 miles on the TT bike and another 10 on the titanium road bike.  Great weather for a change.  The TT bike still needs to be fitted better.  I have an adjustable stem coming.

Edited by IceManScott 2009-05-04 7:58 AM
2009-05-03 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2127415

User image

Veteran
Thank you everyone, and Scott - you really are the Iceman!  Great time for the run...and all that time in the saddle. Wow. So inspiring! 
2009-05-03 10:16 PM

Regular
Plano, Tx
April
April my workouts were very sporadic, I got sick twice which took me out for two of the weeks. I didn't meet any of my goals and my performance and weight probably got worse. I think this has been my worst month in a while as far as performance, eating. and general conditions.

May
I am striving to not miss any workouts this month and will be taking it a week at a time doing the 16 week sprint workout. I also plan on loosing 10 lbs this month which will not be hard as long as I eat clean. All in all my theme for this month is consistency.

2009-05-04 12:06 AM

Freeland
Thank you Grace and great job in yout tri you did.  That is awesome.  It is addicting isn't it.
2009-05-04 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2127591

User image

Veteran
OK...so update on my placings, etc. The first number is where I placed in my AG (out of 11) and the second number is where I placed out of everyone (overall 183 people).  So, I still feel great about it but see that improving my run will do wonders for my future placings.  Also...I've been burping for 2 days! Does this ever happen to anyone after a race? I think it's stomach upset?  Do I need Recoverite or some other nutritional change?  My shoulder starting hurting like crazy in the middle of my run again...then...BUUUURRRRRRP! All better. Hmmm.  You know I feel comfortable with you guys when I can bring something like this up..(literally? )
2009-05-05 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Grace: Congratulations on your Tri and I'm happy that you enjoyed yourself so much.  Another one has the bug!

All: I was thinking this morning while driving to work and realized the following:

IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EASY!

I've been dealing with a lot of things between work, family and life that are in turn making my life very stressed and hectic.  It has become increasingly difficult to workout to the degree that I would like.  But you know what?

Often its hard to get up early in the morning.  During workouts I am sometimes tired and don't want to do another Zone 4 interval or another 100Ms.  But I am starting to remind myself:

What we are all working hard for (I hope) is to improve ourselves from a mental and fitness perspective while doing something we enjoy...Swimming, Biking, Running and COMPETING.  We should all be striving to be good parents, spouses, friends, etc. while working simultaneously to achieve our other goals.  And you know what?

So, I'm going to begin reminding myself of this mantra over the next few weeks as I refocus on all the things that are important to me and I rededicate myself to overcoming the obstacles and challenges as I move towards my goals. 

HOOYA! and have great day!

2009-05-05 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks, Mitch. You're awesome...and right.  If it was easy, everyone would do it.  Instead, only us hard-core awesome-sauce folks are doing it.  It isn't supposed to be easy...but if it wasn't fun or giving me a natural high (or other mental health benefit, etc.), I wouldn't do it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  

of 28