BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-04-27 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2113558

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL!
hippotude - 2009-04-27 2:38 PM

Good afternoon everyone,

This is shaping up to be a long day for me.  I was hoping to escape the stress of TAKS test day here at school, but that was impossible (I did not get to hideout in my room like Tif).  The school day is almost over and now I get to go umpire some baseball.  Hopefully it is a good (fast) game.  I think it will be a good one...the winner makes the playoffs and the losers season is over.

Getting up early this morning makes it a long day.  The good news is the workout is done and I can come home and go to bed. 

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words leading up the the tri.  I am feeling really good about the race.

Have fun tonight and get lots of rest.

2009-04-27 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2081113

Hi all-

Monday's my rest day (at least so far as exercise is concerned.)  Monday nights I always do a mind- and butt-numbing list of errands and chauffeurring.

Sunday I rode on a bike path for the first time.  Loved it!  I think I'll try a Thursday morning solo ride there.  Sunday morning 8am there was just the right amount of traffic - help if needed, but no crowds.  The part I tried parallels a river on an old railway.  I could use some more hills, but it was SO nice not to worry about cars.  I'm terrified some cell phone user is going to swipe me.  Next task:  Find a bike trail that has some hills but few to no road crossings.

The wreck I had in college was solo, my first day on the Purdue camps - something flipped into my front wheel as I accelerated from a stop and I flew over the handle bars, bounced, and slid.  No helmet.  3 days in the hospital with a concussion.  The good thing was that it turned my whole family into helmet fanatics.  2 weeks later, my cyclist father hit gravel and uprooted a sapling with his forehead --- with no injury thanks to his new helmet.

Thanks for the fluid and gear-carrying" suggestions.  They may just make my mother's day list to give the DH (dear husband).  Has anyone tried a Camelbak?  They look hot and bouncy to me.

-Cheryl, I have tried running with thecamelback but it does bounce around quite a bit. I do use it for the ride portion though so I do not have to fiddle with waterbottles and kages.  My suggestion is to get a running belt that has 4 individual small bottles that attach to it. It spreads the weight of the water evenly and does not bounce around alot. I am still a newbie but from the 3 or 4 sprints I have done this was my experience.

I did not get out to run this morning as I planned so after work I am going to hit the gym for a run and some strength training.
2009-04-27 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2113595

User image

Expert
Chicago
lovesreading - 2009-04-27 2:55 PM

Hi all-

Monday's my rest day (at least so far as exercise is concerned.) Monday nights I always do a mind- and butt-numbing list of errands and chauffeurring.

Sunday I rode on a bike path for the first time. Loved it! I think I'll try a Thursday morning solo ride there. Sunday morning 8am there was just the right amount of traffic - help if needed, but no crowds. The part I tried parallels a river on an old railway. I could use some more hills, but it was SO nice not to worry about cars. I'm terrified some cell phone user is going to swipe me. Next task: Find a bike trail that has some hills but few to no road crossings.

Way to get outside for a ride! I'm confident you'll do well on Thursday when you venture out on your own.

You may want to check out the Routes section of BT or maybe even a site like "MapMyRide.com" for suggested routes in your area. Sometimes they'll show elevation charts, too! The Cincinnati Cycle Club also has a few scheduled organized rides you may enjoy as well! http://www.cincinnaticycleclub.org/

Edited by RunningJayhawk 2009-04-27 4:39 PM
2009-04-27 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2113801

User image

Expert
Chicago
baseballbabe - 2009-04-27 4:31 PM

-Cheryl, I have tried running with thecamelback but it does bounce around quite a bit. I do use it for the ride portion though so I do not have to fiddle with waterbottles and kages.  My suggestion is to get a running belt that has 4 individual small bottles that attach to it. It spreads the weight of the water evenly and does not bounce around alot. I am still a newbie but from the 3 or 4 sprints I have done this was my experience.

I did not get out to run this morning as I planned so after work I am going to hit the gym for a run and some strength training.

I'm a fan of the belts with multiple bottles as well. That way I can freeze gatorade in 2 bottles and put water in the other 2. My husband has a single bottle one that he prefers as well.

Have fun with the strength training, Angela!!! Think strong thoughts
2009-04-27 6:43 PM

User image

New user
Sandusky
Erin-  I struggled with figuring this out on the plan I used.  After some detailed reading and internet sleuthing, I was surprised to learned that the short times listed on my plans INCLUDED the warm-up and cool-down times!  Most of the first month, by the time I felt warmed-up, I was done.  The run times and swim times especially were short.  For instance, my first 20min "run" really was 5'walk, 10' alternating 30seconds jog/30"walk, 5' walk.   I was using a plan for non-runner, non-biker out of "Your First Triathlon" by Joe Friel  and this matched well with the beginning runner plans I found in my library.   Apparently the biggest cause of injury in runners is adding distance too fast when you start...

Wow, by the time I warmed up I would have ran 2 minutes and then had to stop.  Interesting.  I'll keep that in mind that adding distance too fast can lead to injury, but I think I'm going to warm up and then when I begin running, that is when my minutes begin.  I'm also going to listen to my body and if it feels like I'm overdoing the distance I'll switch to walking and running intervals.  We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the input!
2009-04-27 7:47 PM

Veteran
My playlist includes a lot of U2. Where the seas have no name I play twice in 1 hour. I also like techno with a lot of drum when running. Hot red Chilli Peppers, foreigner, styx, a little metallica but just 2 songs. Bon jovi, lighthouse, flight of the valkryies, JUMP_ just JUMP , eye of the tiger, star wars theme song, rock you like a hurricane. For the cool down The song I will run to you starts the cool down. then lady in red, wind beneathh my wings, and white night.

I warm up by walking, twisting, and jumping in place.

My cool down is slow jog then streaching. Most important is finding a curve on the sidewalk and standing on it and letting your heel slowly go down and up, then hamstring stretch in standing and bending one knee and keeping other leg straight, wind mills with arms and farmer streatch. For balance and streatch grab the ankle and pull up while other leg is straight. Then slow walk.

2009-04-27 8:02 PM

Veteran
THe biggest secret

In Chicago

For parking.....

Shhhhhh IT's A SECRET!!!!!!!!

Only a few people know this

Lets keeep it that way please...

Free parking in Chicago Downtown Lakefront

Save 25 dollars

The old Meigs field airport is now Park district land. it is beyond charter one pavalion on Northerly Island near the planetarium and Shedd Aquarium. As a park district there are a few free parking spots. You can park there for the day but no overnight Parking- as your car will be towed.
The old Meigs field airport is now a nature center. You can check it out as sometimes they have really cool outings like paddling lake Michigan, free rentals on snow shoes in the winters and bird watching outings.

SSSHHHHH it is a secret only locals know.

2009-04-27 10:28 PM
in reply to: #2113009

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

calimavs - 2009-04-27 9:57 AM Good morning everyone! Even though I was still sidelined from training this weekend I had a very exciting day yesterday. I went and "stimulated the economy" and bought my road bike! I wanted a beginners bike, something that isn't too fancy but that will do the job for the next few years. My husband and I decided to go to REI and I was planning on buying Novara women's bike. The sales guy took one look at me and told me that I'd have to buy a men's bike (since I'm 5'11"). So this is what I ended up with: http://www.rei.com/product/775742 I'm so excited! I also got bike shoes and clipless pedals, a helmet, a bike computer, water bottle cages and water bottles. I don't have the bike yet, we decided to upgrade some of the components so that they are all Shimano tiagra, so the REI bike shop is doing that, installing my pedals and the bike computer and switching out the men's seat for a women's seat. I should be able to pick it up today or tomorrow. When I rode the bike around the parking lot I was SHOCKED at how much more comfortable it is than my husband's bike I've been riding. Nice to finally have something that fits me correctly. I'm also going back to my favorite spin class tonight after a month off from my injury. It feels great to be back at it again!

Congrats.  It is amazing how a properly fitted bike can feel so much better.  Enjoy!

2009-04-27 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2114185

User image

Expert
Chicago
JeanetteJ. - 2009-04-27 8:02 PM
The old Meigs field airport is now Park district land. it is beyond charter one pavalion on Northerly Island near the planetarium and Shedd Aquarium. As a park district there are a few free parking spots. You can park there for the day but no overnight Parking- as your car will be towed.
The old Meigs field airport is now a nature center. You can check it out as sometimes they have really cool outings like paddling lake Michigan, free rentals on snow shoes in the winters and bird watching outings.

SSSHHHHH it is a secret only locals know.

DUDE!!!!!! That is the best secret ever!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!
2009-04-27 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2114155

User image

Expert
Chicago
JeanetteJ. - 2009-04-27 7:47 PM

My playlist includes a lot of U2. Where the seas have no name I play twice in 1 hour. I also like techno with a lot of drum when running. Hot red Chilli Peppers, foreigner, styx, a little metallica but just 2 songs. Bon jovi, lighthouse, flight of the valkryies, JUMP_ just JUMP , eye of the tiger, star wars theme song, rock you like a hurricane. For the cool down The song I will run to you starts the cool down. then lady in red, wind beneathh my wings, and white night.

I hear you on the U2 stuff (if you don't have a Vertigo tour live version of Elevation you've gotta get your hands on it...perfect for running).

Funny you should mention Eye of the Tiger as my long run ended on that song this past weekend...I completely forgot I had it on my iPod and it had me laughing the whole way home.

2009-04-27 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2113340

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

dsmallacomb - 2009-04-27 11:34 AM Hi all-- I did the High Rock Challenge this weekend on Staten Island. It was a 7.2 mile trail run( 2 person teams). Lots of fun challenges including crawling through a dark tunnel (shawshank redemption style) climbing a cargo net ladder, math problems, pulling your team on a dolly up a hill using a rope, water crossings, remembering a combination in order to open a lock later on in the race. The weather was hot but the scenery was great!! We placed 5th out of the female teams and 83 overall out of 262 teams. 

That sounds like a blast!

2009-04-27 10:43 PM
in reply to: #2113595

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

lovesreading - 2009-04-27 12:55 PM Hi all-

Thanks for the fluid and gear-carrying" suggestions. They may just make my mother's day list to give the DH (dear husband). Has anyone tried a Camelbak? They look hot and bouncy to me.

I haven't used a my Camelbak for running, only biking & hiking.  Even then it sometimes bounces more than I'd like.

But I checked their website and they do make some with added waist support that might help.  They also have some that are strickly waist/hip pack.

2009-04-27 11:03 PM

User image

Regina, Sk
Barb,
I took your advise and dove in a little deeper today.  My swim buddy today was going for 22 min or so and I got there 15 minutes before him.  Long story short, I was half done my 300 meters by the time he arrived so I kept swimming.  I tried the flutter board and the pull bouy.  Felt akward but I got a couple of laps on each in. I also tried to do one drill where you keep your arm in front till the other meets it then really concentrate on the pull.  It ended up being more of a one armed "swim, struggle, sink" and I figured the other guy was ask me if I was OK so I quit that one early.Laughing

Long story short I tried something different and logged 550 meters.  And I feel good. 
Tomorrow will be some weights.
Take care,
Alan
2009-04-27 11:08 PM
in reply to: #2114485

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

I love the playlist discussion.  I've been looking for some new ideas for music.

I usually pick out a song with a good beat and set the iPod "Genius" to pick a play list.  That way I'm not listening to the same songs in the same order all the time.  Although I like a variety of music types lately I've been more into alternative Indie bands.  Some of my favorite groups right now are:

• Kings of Leon
  • Fall Out Boy
  • Paramore
  • Frightened Rabbit
  • Switchfoot
  • Raconteurs
  • No Doubt (the old stuff)
  • Ryan Shupe & the Rubber Band (closer to a bluegrass sound but motivating & upbeat)

For cool down/stretching I usually have Cowboy Junkies, K.D. Lang, Norah Jones, Hem, Sera Cahoone.

2009-04-27 11:12 PM
in reply to: #2114532

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

boomer99 - 2009-04-27 9:03 PM Barb,
I took your advise and dove in a little deeper today. My swim buddy today was going for 22 min or so and I got there 15 minutes before him. Long story short, I was half done my 300 meters by the time he arrived so I kept swimming. I tried the flutter board and the pull bouy. Felt akward but I got a couple of laps on each in. I also tried to do one drill where you keep your arm in front till the other meets it then really concentrate on the pull. It ended up being more of a one armed "swim, struggle, sink" and I figured the other guy was ask me if I was OK so I quit that one early.Laughing

Long story short I tried something different and logged 550 meters. And I feel good.
Tomorrow will be some weights.
Take care,
Alan

Good job.  "Catch up" drill is a tough one.  I have to kick a little harder than normal to keep from stopping and sinking, especially on the breathing strokes.

2009-04-27 11:26 PM

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

Ok, I think I've finally caught up reading the posts.  Tomorrow I'll work on the training logs & inspires.

It wasn't an incredibly busy weekend but just tough scheduling.  My hubby is working a stretch of swing shifts (1-11 pm) and my son's had a cold.  Plus I had a yard project that had to get finished.  So I didn't get the race simulation in that was on the plan, oh well.  It's just a guide anyway.

The yard project included putting in over 50 little ground cover plants.  So today my buttocks are really sore from squatting.  I was able to get in a run and a strength workout (haven't done any ST for a month).  I might still be a little sore tomorrow.

I also took care of my once a year carnival food fest tonight.  The Apple Blossom Festival is the biggest event here.  This is the 90th year, it lasts 10 days and kinda takes over the town.  Two parades, daily food fair, carnival, craft fair, live entertainment every afternoon and evening.  So my son and I went down for dinner, feasted on the grease and enjoyed a wonderful local rock band.  I give myself credit for only eating a portion of what they gave me even though I hate wasting it.  But now I feel yucky and bloated.  Yes, I'll probably do it again next year.

2009-04-28 12:50 PM

User image

New user
Sandusky
I want to incorporate some strength training in to my routine. Before I started training I was doing interval workouts that combined cardio and strength, so I'm not a newbie but I wondered if anyone recommends a strength plan. 

right now I'm going to peruse some of my fitness magazines and see if I find anything.

Tonight is my first swim. I am supposed to do 20 minutes. I think I'm going to do the BT beginner swim program that incorporates for and endurance drills.  Should be interesting, but I'm looking forward to it.  I really enjoy swimming and I think my body enjoys a break from the impact of running. 

Thanks for all the great responses about music! i have some new tunes now! I don't remember if I told you the kind of music I like, but it is mostly hip-hop and a few rock tunes.
2009-04-28 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Way to push it, Alan! Before you know it, 550 will feel like a breeze! Keep up the great work, my fellow fishy!
2009-04-28 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2114562

User image

Expert
Chicago
lghays - 2009-04-27 11:26 PM

Ok, I think I've finally caught up reading the posts.  Tomorrow I'll work on the training logs & inspires.

It wasn't an incredibly busy weekend but just tough scheduling.  My hubby is working a stretch of swing shifts (1-11 pm) and my son's had a cold.  Plus I had a yard project that had to get finished.  So I didn't get the race simulation in that was on the plan, oh well.  It's just a guide anyway.

The yard project included putting in over 50 little ground cover plants.  So today my buttocks are really sore from squatting.  I was able to get in a run and a strength workout (haven't done any ST for a month).  I might still be a little sore tomorrow.

I also took care of my once a year carnival food fest tonight.  The Apple Blossom Festival is the biggest event here.  This is the 90th year, it lasts 10 days and kinda takes over the town.  Two parades, daily food fair, carnival, craft fair, live entertainment every afternoon and evening.  So my son and I went down for dinner, feasted on the grease and enjoyed a wonderful local rock band.  I give myself credit for only eating a portion of what they gave me even though I hate wasting it.  But now I feel yucky and bloated.  Yes, I'll probably do it again next year.

Sounds like the yardwork was a workout in and of itself! And I'm glad you were able to indulge at the Apple Blossom Festival, too. A huge splurge once in a while never hurt anyone!
2009-04-28 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi everyone!

Happy to report that my spin class went really well last night. Went easy with not a lot of resistance and my injury felt ok the entire time. I'm so excited because I hadn't done an hour of sustained exercise for a month!

Tonight is another upper body strength workout night and I also plan to do some exercises my doctor showed me to stretch out my groin.

Hope everyone is having a good day!
2009-04-28 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2115876

User image

Expert
Chicago
erin.kelsey - 2009-04-28 12:50 PM

I want to incorporate some strength training in to my routine. Before I started training I was doing interval workouts that combined cardio and strength, so I'm not a newbie but I wondered if anyone recommends a strength plan. 

right now I'm going to peruse some of my fitness magazines and see if I find anything.

Tonight is my first swim. I am supposed to do 20 minutes. I think I'm going to do the BT beginner swim program that incorporates for and endurance drills.  Should be interesting, but I'm looking forward to it.  I really enjoy swimming and I think my body enjoys a break from the impact of running. 

Thanks for all the great responses about music! i have some new tunes now! I don't remember if I told you the kind of music I like, but it is mostly hip-hop and a few rock tunes.

I'm fairly new to the strength training regime in my schedule, so I may not be the best source of advice for this. What my coach is having me do is 30-45 minutes a week of weight work using dumbbells. The first few weeks I started easy with 5 pound weights doing 2 sets of 12 reps. Just last week I started incorporating 10 pound dumbbells and now I'm doing 2 sets of 15 reps. We'll keep building and focusing on different muscle groups.

At first I had it in my head that it was to focus on my arms...but I've recently started incorporating a lot more workouts that benefit my core and lower body. Doing squats and lunges really give me a great workout when using weights!! It's a pleasant surprise, for sure.

My husband actually owns the Men's Health Gym Bible, so I've been using it as a reference for different exercises. I think it does a pretty good job on explaining the various techniques and what to focus on for each exercise.

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Gym-Bible/dp/1594864888/ref=sr_1_...

Let us know how the swim goes tonight, Erin!

2009-04-28 5:51 PM
in reply to: #2116362

User image

Expert
Chicago
calimavs - 2009-04-28 3:00 PM

Hi everyone!

Happy to report that my spin class went really well last night. Went easy with not a lot of resistance and my injury felt ok the entire time. I'm so excited because I hadn't done an hour of sustained exercise for a month!

Tonight is another upper body strength workout night and I also plan to do some exercises my doctor showed me to stretch out my groin.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

That's reason to celebrate!! I'm glad you were able to get a solid workout in pain-free.
2009-04-28 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Like Erin I've also been thinking about my swimming lately and I need some advice.

We can't afford to have me join a masters team right now so I'm stuck going on my own for the time being. I'm not really a newbie at swimming technique, I swam competitively as a child and because of that I can do all 4 strokes, bilateral breathing every 3rd stroke, etc.

I want to get more into doing sets and drills since I know they will make me faster, and I also want to build my overall volume. Right now I've just been swimming a straight 1,000 meters freestyle in about a half hour taking short breaks every so often and going at a moderately easy pace. I always feel like I could have done more after one of these pool sessions.

I want to do one of the BT Beginner swim programs but I'm having trouble deciding which month to start on. If I can already do 1,000 meters consistently should I start with month 2, month 3? Intermediate month 1? I looked at the distance of the beginner month 1 and 2 and I'm not sure they would be much of a challenge given that my base is already ok. I'm sort of lost as to where to start!
2009-04-28 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Good evening everyone,

Today was a bike workout and it was great.  Really pushed and finished the route in record time...would have been faster if not for the wind.  I sure am hoping for perfect conditions on race day...but in Texas you never know what the weather is going to do.

I do have a question.  After I have been on the bike for an extent period of time my feet fall asleep.  I know I probably push down more than I pull, so the last couple of rides I really consentrated on pulling up.  This helped with the numbness a little, but my toes still had some tingling...is this normal?  If not any suggestions on what I can do to prevent this from happening?

Hope everyone has a good evening.
2009-04-28 7:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Hello, all.

Sounds like everyone has some great training going on this week. Good job! I had an awesome day on the bike...maybe riding in the wind is paying off after all.

I noticed the music subject came up and wanted to share an artist with you. Her name's Garrison Starr, and 2 summers ago I had the opportunity to travel on tour with her and did some documenting with the video camera. The following link is a promo video I produced prior to the release of her last album. Check it out if you want to. I know I'm a little biased, but she's definitely a talented artist. When I listen to music while I work out, I have several of her songs in rotation...nothing is extremely "hard", but some good songs for a variety are Superhero (GREAT, GREAT song for a workout), Big Sky, Beautiful in Los Angeles, Spectacle, 40 Days, Something's Gotta Change. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D50yVdX0aLU
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 26