BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-05-27 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2113192

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed
WHERE IS EVERYONE AT POST:

Just wanted to see where everyone is at in their training?

How many weeks are you out from your next (first) race?

Do you feel like you are on target for achieving you goals?

What do you feel like you need to do to reach your goals?

2009-05-27 12:02 PM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
Well Jesse...

I'm 16 weeks away from my race.  I'm happy with how my running is going.  My biking has been improving, but I'd still like to get better.  On Sunday I went to Devil's Lake and did the bike route the race uses.  One of the hills was so big I couldn't make it all the way up, but the rest of the course went pretty well.  It is hilly, though.

I'm getting a little more concerned about swimming.  To be fair, I haven't done any of the drills, so maybe those would help.  I decided I'm definitely going to try the flippers, too. 

Also, since I haven't been putting as much time into training as I should be, I came up with a novel new schedule idea.  I'm still working out the details, but I think I'm going to do either three or four days in a row and then take a day off.  That way my days off will always be changing and I'd still be training either five or six days a week, but it won't seem like as much.  Like I said, I'm still figuring out exactly how well it will work, but I kind of want to give it a shot. 

As far as my goal of finishing the tri, I think I'm on track to do that.  I think I could probably do it now if I absolutely had to, but I would probably be dying at the end.  By the end of summer I'll be ready for it.

--
Nikki
2009-05-27 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2175878

User image

Regular
njacobs24 - 2009-05-27 12:02 PM Well Jesse...

I'm 16 weeks away from my race.  I'm happy with how my running is going.  My biking has been improving, but I'd still like to get better.  On Sunday I went to Devil's Lake and did the bike route the race uses.  One of the hills was so big I couldn't make it all the way up, but the rest of the course went pretty well.  It is hilly, though.

I'm getting a little more concerned about swimming.  To be fair, I haven't done any of the drills, so maybe those would help.  I decided I'm definitely going to try the flippers, too. 

Also, since I haven't been putting as much time into training as I should be, I came up with a novel new schedule idea.  I'm still working out the details, but I think I'm going to do either three or four days in a row and then take a day off.  That way my days off will always be changing and I'd still be training either five or six days a week, but it won't seem like as much.  Like I said, I'm still figuring out exactly how well it will work, but I kind of want to give it a shot. 

As far as my goal of finishing the tri, I think I'm on track to do that.  I think I could probably do it now if I absolutely had to, but I would probably be dying at the end.  By the end of summer I'll be ready for it.

--
Nikki

Nikki - great.  I think the riding the course several times is a great idea.  On getting up that hill.  Couple things.  1) try to hit the hill with a little more speed than you would normally 2) pedal in an easy gear - and have the bike in an easy gear before the hill starts getting hard.  3) You can gain some leg strength by doing drills in a hard gear.  So, for example, do three 2 min intervals in a very hard gear only doing like 60 cadence.  

Swimming.  Get busy!  Laughing  Fins are a great tool to get your stroke where it needs to be but by the time you are say 4 weeks out you'll want to be able to do the complete race distance in the pool with no fins and no aids.  So, get some fins/pull buoy and get to it.

I like the schedule idea.  The most important thing is to come up with something that you like, is challenging, and that you can follow!

Jesse 
2009-05-27 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2175050

User image

Regular
Boston

Hey Jesse,

I have 2 1/2 weeks to my first road race - it's just a 6K run (weird I know) - which I don't think will be a problem. I have 2 tri's this summer - 8 weeks (7/26) till the first one - 1/3 mile swim, 15 miles b, 5K run.

SWIM: I think my swim is coming along. I am up to 550M and plan to extend that to at least 1/2 mile by July. I need to get out and do some OWS soon now that the water is just starting to warm up here. (people are still wearing wetsuits in the larger lakes.) I'm gathering more ideas for drills and my next time in the pool I will extend my distance, do a longer combination of drills and more sets of intervals. I plan to have my husband tape me - hopefully he will agree to this! Wink I just signed up for a one-day OWS clinic, which a friend of mine recommended.

BIKE: I've been spinning a few times a week and ride the bike at the gym usually once a week. As far as outdoor riding, I need to get out more, but am finding this difficult b/c we have to travel to a place to ride and usually need to find someone to watch our son. Also, I want to feel more comfortable riding with the clipless pedals. I need to extend my rides to more than 15 miles.

RUN: I feel on target and am planning on doing a few more 5 miles runs and hopefully extending them a bit.

I feel that I have come a long way since I started in March. I am feeling on target. My plan is to do some OWS, longer brick workouts and extend each leg.

What are your thoughts?

2009-05-27 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2176083

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-05-27 1:11 PM

Hey Jesse,

I have 2 1/2 weeks to my first road race - it's just a 6K run (weird I know) - which I don't think will be a problem. I have 2 tri's this summer - 8 weeks (7/26) till the first one - 1/3 mile swim, 15 miles b, 5K run.

SWIM: I think my swim is coming along. I am up to 550M and plan to extend that to at least 1/2 mile by July. I need to get out and do some OWS soon now that the water is just starting to warm up here. (people are still wearing wetsuits in the larger lakes.) I'm gathering more ideas for drills and my next time in the pool I will extend my distance, do a longer combination of drills and more sets of intervals. I plan to have my husband tape me - hopefully he will agree to this! Wink I just signed up for a one-day OWS clinic, which a friend of mine recommended.

BIKE: I've been spinning a few times a week and ride the bike at the gym usually once a week. As far as outdoor riding, I need to get out more, but am finding this difficult b/c we have to travel to a place to ride and usually need to find someone to watch our son. Also, I want to feel more comfortable riding with the clipless pedals. I need to extend my rides to more than 15 miles.

RUN: I feel on target and am planning on doing a few more 5 miles runs and hopefully extending them a bit.

I feel that I have come a long way since I started in March. I am feeling on target. My plan is to do some OWS, longer brick workouts and extend each leg.

What are your thoughts?

Sounds like you are killin' it!  Laughing

I am glad to see that you really want to push beyond the distance limits of the race - and I think this is important to do really well.   For example, the more rides you have beyond 15 miles the easier 15 miles will be and the better you will feel coming off the bike.

I think you'll have the swimming down.  The OWS clinic is an awesome idea.  They will have you swimming side by side with others and hopefully you'll get to do some simulation.  Also, exchange contact information with a few of the people there so that maybe you can get together after the class with a few like minded people and do more practicing.

I think the short run race is great and it sounds like you are "on track" with your running.  How has the cadence relaxed running been going?  Have you been able to incorporate anything new into your running (like faster cadence running, etc)?  5 miles is great.  Obviously if you can get longer ones in there it will improve your cardio but 5 miles is still good considering the length of the race.

Bike:  It sounds like you already know you need the most time spent here.   I would do more hard interval sets in the gym to compensate for your lack of miles being put in on the road.  And what I mean by this is do say 4 sets of 4 min long intervals where you are really pushing it.  When you get off the bike you legs should feel tired Laughing  (and then take some protein).   And, at the very min, try to get in one long ride a week or every other week.  What I mean by this is over 15 miles - with a decent portion at race pace.   So, maybe the first week you warm up for the first 5 miles and then move into race pace.  Or if you are going to tackle 20 miles you warm up for 3 miles, then 15 miles of race pace, then 2 miles cool down.  Etc.   On the days when you can cycle outside and aren't doing a long ride then maybe do some intervals.  

I know it is difficult on the training front with the little one, the husband, and time contraints.  Maybe you can take turns as well.   If you both found a group that you liked to ride with maybe you can do it one week and he the next.  And then every third week you can get a sitter and both go (this might be a stretch but just throwing it out there).  The group rides will really improve your riding.

Just random thoughts from the peanut gallery!

Thanks,

Jesse 
2009-05-27 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2175050

User image

Orange Park, Fl

Training!!! You mean you are not going to do the race for us if we are not ready. Some mentor you are!!! Smile J/K   Training is going good, about 7 weeks out. 

Swim -  2-3 days a week. Still need work I almost alwas do swim after run or bike. I am going to start do swim first or concentrate on one workout by itself. I do good with balance during part of the workout and then goes bad. I get my mind off of the balance. As long as I keep my mind on balance I should do better.

Run - average 3-4 days for runs. Mostly 4+ miles each run and will probably top out at 9-10 miles. Fell good with run. Will start doing tempo/interval this week

Bike - 2-3 days. 1-2 days spinning and 1 day usually 20 miles or longer. usually do intervals for 1-1.5 miles and rest then same. Some rides may go up to 30+. Also training for the BikeMS tour in Oct.  which is 172 miles this year.

Overall I am happy with my progress. I just need to work more on swimming. Once that is down I believe I will do great.

Edited by Carter_83 2009-05-27 8:14 PM

2009-05-27 8:29 PM

Boston
Jesse,
You couldn't have picked a worse week to check in on...or maybe it's the best--keeping me grounded!!!

First tri is 8 weeks out - still waiting on funds to register, but so far, it's a goal to register!
I have a 3K about 4 weeks out.

Swimming is going really well. Getting to the pool at least 2X/wk. One day is my long swim (I swam 1/2 mi no problem last week!!!) and the other day I focus on technique. I am using flippers for my warm-up and cool down and have noticed a huge difference in my balance!!

Biking, I am finding this to be the toughest to get out and accomplish, but I don't feel too horrible about this leg. I have been getting out 2/3X's/wk. My longest so far is a little over 10 - definitely know I can do more than that. I will be starting to commute to work 3X/week starting the end of June. This will be 8 miles each way. I am feeling like this will help a lot, although I am a bit nervous about the afternoon ride (I will be working at a camp, high energy all day long and in the summer heat. I am thinking I will need to focus on nutrition at that point, more so than I already am)

Running .. really really trying to work on the form. I have felt a small improvement but I know this is going to be a long route and possibly the most challenging leg for me. I have been watching the video over and over - hopefully it will all start clicking soon.

This week has been crazy, I have scheduled short easy workouts in. I am moving this weekend and classes for the summer have started up. I am adapting to the new schedule and trying to balance it all, so I figure something is better than nothing.

Hope all is well!! Thanks - Christina
2009-05-28 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2177111

User image

Regular
Carter_83 - 2009-05-27 8:14 PM

Training!!! You mean you are not going to do the race for us if we are not ready. Some mentor you are!!! Smile J/K   Training is going good, about 7 weeks out. 

Swim -  2-3 days a week. Still need work I almost alwas do swim after run or bike. I am going to start do swim first or concentrate on one workout by itself. I do good with balance during part of the workout and then goes bad. I get my mind off of the balance. As long as I keep my mind on balance I should do better.

Run - average 3-4 days for runs. Mostly 4+ miles each run and will probably top out at 9-10 miles. Fell good with run. Will start doing tempo/interval this week

Bike - 2-3 days. 1-2 days spinning and 1 day usually 20 miles or longer. usually do intervals for 1-1.5 miles and rest then same. Some rides may go up to 30+. Also training for the BikeMS tour in Oct.  which is 172 miles this year.

Overall I am happy with my progress. I just need to work more on swimming. Once that is down I believe I will do great.

Carter - I wish I could race with some of you!

Where are you racing, curious?  

Sounds like you are doing good.  

A couple of things regarding swimming.  Again, if you have the opp I'll be happy to look at a video of your swim.  And second, do you have the opportunity to get some open water swims before this race?  Maybe look up a tri group like Michelle did.

Jesse 
2009-05-28 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2177141

User image

Regular
dragonfly253 - 2009-05-27 8:29 PM Jesse,
You couldn't have picked a worse week to check in on...or maybe it's the best--keeping me grounded!!!

First tri is 8 weeks out - still waiting on funds to register, but so far, it's a goal to register!
I have a 3K about 4 weeks out.

Swimming is going really well. Getting to the pool at least 2X/wk. One day is my long swim (I swam 1/2 mi no problem last week!!!) and the other day I focus on technique. I am using flippers for my warm-up and cool down and have noticed a huge difference in my balance!!

Biking, I am finding this to be the toughest to get out and accomplish, but I don't feel too horrible about this leg. I have been getting out 2/3X's/wk. My longest so far is a little over 10 - definitely know I can do more than that. I will be starting to commute to work 3X/week starting the end of June. This will be 8 miles each way. I am feeling like this will help a lot, although I am a bit nervous about the afternoon ride (I will be working at a camp, high energy all day long and in the summer heat. I am thinking I will need to focus on nutrition at that point, more so than I already am)

Running .. really really trying to work on the form. I have felt a small improvement but I know this is going to be a long route and possibly the most challenging leg for me. I have been watching the video over and over - hopefully it will all start clicking soon.

This week has been crazy, I have scheduled short easy workouts in. I am moving this weekend and classes for the summer have started up. I am adapting to the new schedule and trying to balance it all, so I figure something is better than nothing.

Hope all is well!! Thanks - Christina

Christina,

Sounds like you are doing good on swimming.   Just a few reminders to make you are working on good form elements with the flippers on.  Don't just swim (and don't kick).  So, for example really focus on your catch or balance or breathing or gliding or something while you have your flippers on.  And then when you take them off continue the nice form. Good job.  Your kick with your legs should be nothing more than a flutter kick.  My feet probably go no more than 6 - 8 inches down and up (Relaxed ankles).   The becomes easier with better balance. 

The 8 miles each way will go a long ways for sure.  With 8 weeks out you still have some time to put in the miles.  Definitely try to get in more than a 15 miles ride at least every other week.

Most people struggle with running.  There really aren't any good substitutes.  You just have to put in the miles.   Laughing  

Jesse 
2009-05-28 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2177765

User image

Orange Park, Fl

I'm racing in the Jacksonville Sprint Series #2 on July 18th. The have six sprints from May - Aug.  Jax Sprint Series and Beached Fine Art Series. They just added Atlantinc coast tri HIM and I think Oly distance in Amelia Island.  I though about that race but it is the same day as the BikeMS tour. Hopefully next year.

2009-06-01 9:17 AM

User image

Regular
I hope everyone had a good weekend.  

I did a sprint tri yesterday.  This was the anniversary of my first triathlon exactly a year ago.  I was able to take off 3+ minutes in each sport - so overall I was pretty happy.  I believe I finished 18 overall in a very competitive field.   I finished in 1:13+ and the guys that win it do it in 1:04 (ish).  So, really fast.

Racing really helps you to figure out your weak points.  And I took in a few more lessons from yesterday.  So, that is good.  I have set my goals for next year already Laughing

Jesse 

2009-06-01 9:18 AM

User image

Regular
Oh, and I woke up this morning and did a full workout.  That is how I know I didn't go fast enough yesterday.  I should have been sore   Wink
2009-06-01 2:10 PM

User image

Regular
Boston
Congrats on improving your time Jesse.

I swam 700M yesterday, did some drills. I tried to do some intervals, but the pool was getting pretty busy. My husband and I were sharing a lane and when he was done another guy (who is recovering from breaking his hip) jumped in my lane. Undecided I did video my swim (not my best - I think I wa a little tired from all the yard work we've been doing and the 700M I did before that). I spent last night trying out how to download it to BT. I figured it out, but the file won't transfer. Any ideas?

I did a 4.2 mile run today. Didn't feel loose and tried to focus on that. Will focus on that later this week.
2009-06-01 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2187161

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-06-01 2:10 PM Congrats on improving your time Jesse.

I swam 700M yesterday, did some drills. I tried to do some intervals, but the pool was getting pretty busy. My husband and I were sharing a lane and when he was done another guy (who is recovering from breaking his hip) jumped in my lane. Undecided I did video my swim (not my best - I think I wa a little tired from all the yard work we've been doing and the 700M I did before that). I spent last night trying out how to download it to BT. I figured it out, but the file won't transfer. Any ideas?

I did a 4.2 mile run today. Didn't feel loose and tried to focus on that. Will focus on that later this week.

Hey Michelle,

700M is great.  Tell your husband to gut it out next time and stay in as long as you Laughing  (JK)

As far as the video you can send to me directly if you want.  I'm not sure how large it is (lmk)?  The other option is maybe get a YouTube account and upload it.  Then you can send me the link.

2009-06-02 9:16 PM
in reply to: #2187221

User image

Regular
Boston
Hey Jesse - I sent you a PM with the link to my swim video. I got it on youtube. Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks - Michelle
2009-06-03 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2190868

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-06-02 9:16 PM Hey Jesse - I sent you a PM with the link to my swim video. I got it on youtube. Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks - Michelle

Michelle,

Thanks for posting the video.  First, I believe you have some good things going on there.

It appears to me that you were going hard for this video.  This appears to be more of an interval pace?  That is okay I just wanted to ask/clarify. 

Let me start with some bullet points (the good and the bad).  Then we can talk about what to do.  Again, I am not a swim coach, or even a great swimmer, but I think the advice will be useful Laughing

Issues:

• Good - Your arms really come around nicely.  You are pretty strong!
  • Bad – Your arms cross over your midsection.  This causes you to wiggle a little like a worm.   After looking at the video more your right arm is the primary culprit.  Your left arm crosses over just a bit sometimes. 
  • Bad - Your feet compensate for the above issue by scissor kicking.
  • Good - You keep your head down pretty well. 
  • Bad - You are breathing only every 4th stroke.
  • Good - Your flip turn was fine – it was functional and I would keep it up.  You’ll notice when you move to every stroke breathing and you have more oxygen that you’ll be able to do all flip turns.
  • Good – you aren’t sinking.  Most people’s feet sink.  Yours do not.
  • Catch – it was difficult to tell.  I have a note about it below.

Fixes

• What you need to imagine there is an imaginary line through your head all the way through your body.  And your hands shouldn’t cross over that line at any part of your stroke.   So, do some drills where you are exaggerating your arms being placed out in front of you at about 5 inches (maybe more if need be) out further than you are used to.  What I mean exactly is take your right hand and when it enters the water it should be 5 inches to the right of where you normally have it.  This might feel weird at first.  But, it will become normal after a bit.  This drill might be best served with a pull buoy or fins so you can just focus on it.  But, you can certainly do it without that.  See how this feels.  And video tape yourself a lot more (I need to do more of this myself).  What you want to see in your next video is your arms entering the water and not crossing your midsection. 
  • Breathing – Focus on doing the following.  Alternate breathe when you are swimming slow.  I mean when you first start out and you are just poking along getting lose and just starting to get in a rhythm then breathe every other stroke.  So, right side, stroke, stroke, left side, stroke stroke, right side.   Then when you start to pick it up breathe every time to your strong side (your right I take it).  When you are in a race you will most likely only breathe on your right side and you will want to do this every stroke.
  • Your kicking issue (too hard and “scissory&rdquo is just a symptom of your arms crossing over.  Once you fix that I believe that your kick will also work itself out.  What you should focus on with the kick (after you fix the arms) is just a nice little 6 inch flutter kick.   You want to focus on not scissor kicking.  You want to focus on not making too much splash on top of the water too.  You can practice this both in your normal swim stroke and with aids (kick board).  With the kick board (you might have them at your pool on the side – we do) you grab both hands on it and then just kick away to the other side.  Your focus will be on keeping your ankles loose and a nice little flutter kick.  The goal of your legs/feet in the type of swimming we do is to keep you balanced.  That is different that Olympic swimmers that also use them for propulsion.
  • Keep focusing on keeping your head down.  The further your head is down the more in balance you’ll probably be.
  • From this video it was a little difficult to tell about your catch.  But let me share something.  When you start your stroke more wide (like I suggested above) you’ll also be able to catch the water wider and this will help your speed.   Right now it looks like because you cross over your midsection a bit that your catch starts more under your body than it should.  I think you are going to see some massive improvements once you work out just this one issue.

When you work on any of these things below do them slowly (or mid speed).  You want to feel the water and feel the changes you are making.  Don’t do them at top speed Laughing

If you find a local tri group it might be worth asking some people if they know anyone with an underwater camera.  I think someone charged my like $20 to video me underwater.  It was worth it.

Good job!

Jesse

2009-06-03 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2191847

User image

Regular
Boston
Hi Jesse,
Thank you for your assessment! This is very helpful! I knew certain things were wrong like my arms crossing over, scissor kicking and wiggling etc. Yes, you are correct I was attempting to do intervals and stopped after the first one when the pool started to get crowded. As you can see, I was a little off after my first flip-turn. A 3rd swimmer was suppose to join our lane and we were going to circle swim - I was a little confused and this resulted in a LOT of wiggling. Breathing: I do most of my breathing on the right (stronger side). When doing distances - I alternate breathing on both sides and then breathe just on my right every other stroke (like you said). When I do intervals - I breathe a lot less. I've been working a lot on my breathing - I am very concious of it while swimming - I've been focusing on not holding my breath underwater. I feel pretty good about this part. My catch is definitely something I need to work on. I agree that if I stop crossing my arms over - my catch and kick will improve. I am definitely going to work on these things.

Thanks!
2009-06-03 8:59 PM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
I just had to pop in and report that I had a really good swim workout and I'm really excited about it!  Smile  I used the fins for the first time and at first I felt stupid because I couldn't really remember what I was supposed to be doing with the fins.  So I tried not to kick and focused on my arms and my breathing.  I think I've been kicking way too much, which has wasted energy and made me really out of breath.  When I took the fins off, I just kicked a little and I was able to swim ten laps.  That probably doesn't seem like a lot, but previously I've had to stop and rest after just four laps.  So anyway, I'm happy that I'm making some progress finally.

--
Nikki
2009-06-04 7:31 AM

Boston
Hey Jesse,
I am sad to say, the last week has been awful pertaining to training. I was sick and moving and exhausted. I did not get any real good training in
Now, I am recovering from being sick and trying to get my place in order .. and I am having a very hard time getting into a routine. I'm needing some motivation...
....Frustrated...
2009-06-04 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2192890

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-06-03 3:12 PM Hi Jesse,
Thank you for your assessment! This is very helpful! I knew certain things were wrong like my arms crossing over, scissor kicking and wiggling etc. Yes, you are correct I was attempting to do intervals and stopped after the first one when the pool started to get crowded. As you can see, I was a little off after my first flip-turn. A 3rd swimmer was suppose to join our lane and we were going to circle swim - I was a little confused and this resulted in a LOT of wiggling. Breathing: I do most of my breathing on the right (stronger side). When doing distances - I alternate breathing on both sides and then breathe just on my right every other stroke (like you said). When I do intervals - I breathe a lot less. I've been working a lot on my breathing - I am very concious of it while swimming - I've been focusing on not holding my breath underwater. I feel pretty good about this part. My catch is definitely something I need to work on. I agree that if I stop crossing my arms over - my catch and kick will improve. I am definitely going to work on these things.

Thanks!

The great thing about what I saw is that by just focusing on a few things should correct a lot.  And that is good.  I think just getting your arms in the water at 11 and 1 o clock will make a huge difference.   Other than when I am just mozying (when I bi-lateral breathe) I breathe every time my left arm is extended (so to my right every time).  You need the oxygen to be able to swim fast. Breathing every time to your right will also make it easier to get into a rhythm with this sort of breathing (out in, out in, out in). 

I have been lucky as I don't think I have ever had to swim in a circle.  95% of the time I have the lane to myself.  Just not that busy at my pool (knock on wood).

So, work on those few things.  Then get me another video in a few weeks (2 -3  weeks).  Then we'll see about the catch and so forth.

Jesse 
2009-06-04 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2193722

User image

Regular
njacobs24 - 2009-06-03 8:59 PM I just had to pop in and report that I had a really good swim workout and I'm really excited about it!  Smile  I used the fins for the first time and at first I felt stupid because I couldn't really remember what I was supposed to be doing with the fins.  So I tried not to kick and focused on my arms and my breathing.  I think I've been kicking way too much, which has wasted energy and made me really out of breath.  When I took the fins off, I just kicked a little and I was able to swim ten laps.  That probably doesn't seem like a lot, but previously I've had to stop and rest after just four laps.  So anyway, I'm happy that I'm making some progress finally.

--
Nikki

Nikki - that is great.  I would definitely keep using them then.  I think you used them perfectly.  I wouldn't worry about anything fancy right now.  Just put them on to help you keep in balance.  Then your stroke will improve - you'll be able to focus on correct upper body balance and stroke.  Then once that becomes part of your muscle memory swimming be a lot easier when you take the fins off.  

You are probably kicking too hard because you feel you need to in order to stay afloat.  This is just a balance issue.  Once your balance improves you'll hopefully feel the need to kick less and less.  IMO the kick of a triathlete swimmer should be pretty nill - I mean just enough to keep your balance and not really enough to propel you forward.  (This is not true for the short course tri people that finish the swim in liek 7 mins - those people are crazy).

Keep watching some of the videos I have posted of really good swimmers and try to envision yourself looking like they do when you swim.  
- where they enter their arms
-what their body position looks like
-a nice catch
-breathing

Jesse 

2009-06-04 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2194166

User image

Regular
dragonfly253 - 2009-06-04 7:31 AM Hey Jesse,
I am sad to say, the last week has been awful pertaining to training. I was sick and moving and exhausted. I did not get any real good training in
Now, I am recovering from being sick and trying to get my place in order .. and I am having a very hard time getting into a routine. I'm needing some motivation...
....Frustrated...

Sometimes there isn't much you can do in the way of being sick.   It comes on and you just have to rest.  It sounds like you are more mentally exhausted than physically exhausted.  You definitely need to dig deep and find some motivation from somewhere.  (That doesn't mean get out and do 5 miles when you sick  Laughing 

Watch some Ironman videos.  If some of these people don't motivate you (and make you cry) nothing will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vrjp2P0GlE

There are more - just search around.  I just find myself in total aw when I watch some of these.  You have to think there are people out there fighting for their lives.   Shoot, I just have to get up and do a little workout!!!

Jesse 
2009-06-04 9:32 AM

New user

Montreal
Morning everyone,

Hi Jesse-I’ve been away for a while. Haven’t been very good with sticking with my training plan over the last two weeks. I find it very hard to stay focused and motivated. I’m a little concerned that I won’t be ready for the sprint race in August. I’m not sure why I can’t find that passion I had before for training. Have you ever felt like this?

Thanks
Cheryl
2009-06-04 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2194569

User image

Regular
cher - 2009-06-04 9:32 AM Morning everyone, Hi Jesse-I’ve been away for a while. Haven’t been very good with sticking with my training plan over the last two weeks. I find it very hard to stay focused and motivated. I’m a little concerned that I won’t be ready for the sprint race in August. I’m not sure why I can’t find that passion I had before for training. Have you ever felt like this? Thanks Cheryl

Cheryl,

It's time to get motivated now!  You have less than 3 months.   That is a lot of time and not a lot of time.  It will come fast but if you can get motivated now it still gives you a lot of time to reach your goals.

You need to ask yourself:

What is the motivating factor for wanting to do this race?  Get better at something.  The challenge.  To be a role model.  Etc etc.

Why are you training?  To be better than I used to be.  To be healthy.  To stay healthy.  etc etc

Then, you really have to have a NO EXCUSES attitude when the alarm goes off in the morning.  Really re-evaluate your schedule and make sure that what you have created is something you can stick with (that was the first rule of the schedule).   If your schedule has workouts that are at times when you are already tired then you probably won't follow it.  So re-evaluate that.

Personally, I am very driven to challenge myself.  I get depressed if I am not bettering myself.  So, that negative feeling is enough to drive me (I am sure I'll have to get realistic as I get older but right now there is nothing stopping me from improvement).  My primary reason I train is to challenge myself to get better.  I really look forward to taking time off SBR.  It gives me a great sense of achievement.  I really don't have a difficult time staying too motivated.   Maybe this happens a bit when my goals are too far into the future.  I have tried to keep races within a few months of each other so that I always have something.

Jesse 
2009-06-04 10:27 AM

User image

Regular
Carter -

how are your run intervals going.  Were you able to do any yet?  How did it go?  And what did you do?

Jesse

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14