Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-12-29 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2582888

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Subject: RE: Ken D's Group - Shut

I think the YMCA offer a course like that, like I said before I am interested in that line of work but kept putting off the course until I could commit to something in the fitness feild, I think I might gear my boot camp/ running towards stay at home Mom's and during the school hour. Just about everything I have looked into are during the supper hour, or 7 pm+ well if you have kids involved in sports, or that need to eat or Dads who work long hours  that just does work!!!! even the gyms have their classes at odd time. It frustrates me!!!! 

I found there were many more programs offered in hours geared towards new moms and stay at homes, than there were for working folks, but that might differ from area to area, I live in suburbia, where there would be more of a market for the stay at homes than in the downtown core where there are more classes offered outside of "normal" work hours.  Find out what the governing agency is for where you live, (for me I have the BCRPA) that monitors certifications and ensures that instructors have done the proper education and ensure that you keep your education up to date with continued education and a mimimum amount of hours taught per year, oh and first aid/cpr.  If you are attending a bootcamp, ask your instructor how they went about being certified.  I asked mine out of curiousity, and she helped me through the entire process and gave me my 3 classes/week.  

2009-12-29 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2556282

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Okay, I have a question regarding trainer mileage/time versus road mileage/time. 

Although I have ridden bikes in the past, I've never measured distance/cadence/time on the road before.  I didn't start my bike training until mid-october when it was simply too dark for me to be riding safely on the road, so my only experience measuring my bike rides has been on the trainer.  Does anyone have any insight on how trainer times, compare to road times?  I know there are many variables, but I have to think that a 40k on the road in general can't possibly be as difficult as a 40K on the trainer?
2009-12-30 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2583174

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
corstan - 2009-12-29 9:07 PM Okay, I have a question regarding trainer mileage/time versus road mileage/time. 

Although I have ridden bikes in the past, I've never measured distance/cadence/time on the road before.  I didn't start my bike training until mid-october when it was simply too dark for me to be riding safely on the road, so my only experience measuring my bike rides has been on the trainer.  Does anyone have any insight on how trainer times, compare to road times?  I know there are many variables, but I have to think that a 40k on the road in general can't possibly be as difficult as a 40K on the trainer?

Some people say (and I've never seen a "study") that 45 minutes on the trainer is equal to 1 hours on the road.  Primarily due to the lack of coasting/stopping/etc.

2009-12-30 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2583174

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I don't know about how they compare, but I am one of those people that can't stay on a trainer for more than 1hr tops (so I have never done more than about 18mi indoors).  I know a lot of people that treat the trainer as their interval workout and just use the winter/trainer to work on speed and strength.  Then when you can get back outside all you need to work on is the endurance. 

corstan - 2009-12-29 9:07 PM Okay, I have a question regarding trainer mileage/time versus road mileage/time. 

2009-12-31 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Had to dig our group out from the bottom of the last page:-(

Have a Safe and Happy New Years Everyone!

2010-01-01 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Hope everyone had a good New Years Eve.  I spent it with my puking three year old.  We are just hanging out on the couch today.  I WILL get a run/workout in today when my husband gets home from work.  No plans this weekend so I will get in a few good workouts Saturday and Sunday too.

2010-01-01 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2587529

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-01-01 6:49 AM Hope everyone had a good New Years Eve.  I spent it with my puking three year old.  We are just hanging out on the couch today.  I WILL get a run/workout in today when my husband gets home from work.  No plans this weekend so I will get in a few good workouts Saturday and Sunday too.

Not the best of ways to ring in the New Years, hope your 3 yr old is feeling better today.  I had a very nice time last night at a good friends house, for a New Years/Surprise b'day party(for the hostess).  Her husband planned the whole thing and she hadn't a clue, he normally can't plan a bbq in the summer, so this was quite something for him.

I plan on having a rest day today, though knowing  me at some point I'll get restless and go do something anyway.
2010-01-01 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

ended up doing slug on the couch very well today, moved for a short while to go out for a bit of an indulgent meal.  Will be back on track tomorrow.

2010-01-02 6:44 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
What is everyone planning on doing in the way of races this year?  When does the season start where you are or are you year round? 
2010-01-02 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2588851

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
Mrschach - 2010-01-02 7:44 AM What is everyone planning on doing in the way of races this year?  When does the season start where you are or are you year round? 

I've got a full agenda this year. It's mixed with races and "events".  The events happen to require great fitness to be enjoyed, so I consider them in my calendar...here goes:
1. A series of three running races 2 weeks apart starting in March: a 5k, 10k, and 10 miler. Don't know if I want to run 10 miles. Maybe I will.
2.  A series of longer organized bike rides through the spring between 70 and 100 miles in length.
3.  A series of weekend fully loaded bike camping tour/trips with my wife. 
4.  July:  A mountain training weekend.  Either in North Carolina in the Mt. Mitchell area or ?Virginia/Tennesee.  Maybe Wisconsin.  Wisconsin is hilly as hell but not like the Smokey Mountains.
5.  Early August:  Tom Sawyer Sprint Triathalon.  My first.
6.  Late August:  Fully loaded and self supported Pacific Northwest bike Tour.  Portland to Seattle.  1 week.  
7.  Mid September:  Comptetive moutain Century:  Six Gap.  Dahlonega, Ga.

That's the schedule!  Now I have to work out the training for it. 
2010-01-02 9:45 AM

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
Hey you guys:  I'm looking for a good swimming program.  I see the ones offered here.  I haven't been in the pool in any capacity in 25 years, so I'm looking for something gradual, but challenging.  Any thoughts or should I just go with the program on the site just like I did on the running and had so much success??

Cheers and Happy New Year!!!

Patrick

2010-01-02 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2589059

User image

Expert
South Jersey
bassandbike - 2010-01-02 9:45 AM Hey you guys:  I'm looking for a good swimming program.  I see the ones offered here.  I haven't been in the pool in any capacity in 25 years, so I'm looking for something gradual, but challenging.  Any thoughts or should I just go with the program on the site just like I did on the running and had so much success??

Patrick
  I have not really looked at the swim plans here since my main background in any of the three is swimming.  I really don't even do much swimming anymore.  When I do, I go to www.swimplan.com for an actual swim workout.  I can't just get in the pool and swim laps without knowing what I am doing.  What is your swimming level/ability now?
2010-01-02 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2589059

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
bassandbike - 2010-01-02 9:45 AM Hey you guys:  I'm looking for a good swimming program.  I see the ones offered here.  I haven't been in the pool in any capacity in 25 years, so I'm looking for something gradual, but challenging.  Any thoughts or should I just go with the program on the site just like I did on the running and had so much success??

Patrick

This is a nice, gradual plan.  Link
2010-01-02 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-01-02 4:44 AM What is everyone planning on doing in the way of races this year?  When does the season start where you are or are you year round? 

The season here, starts around May, I am set to do the following:

My first Tri
UBC Triathalon (Olympic)
5/16/2010 in Vancouver , British Columbia

Ironmountain Triathlon (Olympic)
6/20/2010 in Maple Ridge , British Columbia

Haven't picked out a particular race yet, but will also do a 1/2 marathon sometime this year. 
2010-01-03 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Sorry I haven't been around, ended up getting sick on the 31st.  Just starting to feel better and hope to start the workouts again tomorrow.  As far as the races this year, I haven't fully planned it out.  I went through all the websites and created my own spreadsheet of every race I might possible want to do (tris, runs, bikes, swims, dus) and then I will start to narrow it down.  There are 4 tris I attempt to do every year, one in May, June, Aug, Sept.  I also will be doing a 10k run in April.  I usually do several bike rides in the spring and then just mix in random runs and other things throughout the year.  Every month beginning in April a local tri shop puts on a splash and dash (750m swim and a 2k run) for only $10 so I am going to do several of these as well. 

Patrick, I too use swimplan.  I like that it is fully customizable and the workouts are based on recent swim times that you enter. 

ps - I got my tri bike at a great price for my bday (but won't be ready until later this week)!!  and my wife got me a HR monitor...very excited!

Mrschach - 2010-01-02 6:44 AM What is everyone planning on doing in the way of races this year?  When does the season start where you are or are you year round? 
2010-01-03 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2590391

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
chichitao - 2010-01-03 6:17 AM Sorry I haven't been around, ended up getting sick on the 31st.  Just starting to feel better and hope to start the workouts again tomorrow.  As far as the races this year, I haven't fully planned it out.  I went through all the websites and created my own spreadsheet of every race I might possible want to do (tris, runs, bikes, swims, dus) and then I will start to narrow it down.  There are 4 tris I attempt to do every year, one in May, June, Aug, Sept.  I also will be doing a 10k run in April.  I usually do several bike rides in the spring and then just mix in random runs and other things throughout the year.  Every month beginning in April a local tri shop puts on a splash and dash (750m swim and a 2k run) for only $10 so I am going to do several of these as well. 

Patrick, I too use swimplan.  I like that it is fully customizable and the workouts are based on recent swim times that you enter. 

ps - I got my tri bike at a great price for my bday (but won't be ready until later this week)!!  and my wife got me a HR monitor...very excited!

Mrschach - 2010-01-02 6:44 AM What is everyone planning on doing in the way of races this year?  When does the season start where you are or are you year round? 

Sorry to hear you were sick on your b'day, but I'm sure the tri bike made up for it a bit:-)  You'll have to post pics when you get it.  You'll love the HR monitor.

2010-01-03 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2590391

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-01-03 8:17 AM Sorry I haven't been around, ended up getting sick on the 31st.  Just starting to feel better and hope to start the workouts again tomorrow.  As far as the races this year, I haven't fully planned it out.  I went through all the websites and created my own spreadsheet of every race I might possible want to do (tris, runs, bikes, swims, dus) and then I will start to narrow it down.  There are 4 tris I attempt to do every year, one in May, June, Aug, Sept.  I also will be doing a 10k run in April.  I usually do several bike rides in the spring and then just mix in random runs and other things throughout the year.  Every month beginning in April a local tri shop puts on a splash and dash (750m swim and a 2k run) for only $10 so I am going to do several of these as well. 

The stomach bug has officially hit our house too.  My oldest was sick Thursday night and Friday.  My youngest and husband got sick early afternoon and by 4 we were fighting over the bathroom.  We are fortunate and my parents took our oldest overnight.  It has been rough around here.  I said I wanted to lose weight this year but I did not need it jumpstarted with a stomach bug. 
2010-01-03 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2590591

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
That is exactly what I had.  Luckily it didn't hit me until almost midnight so I made it through my bday fine.  Sorry to hear your whole family got it.  Yeah, I dropped a few pounds as well...not the way to do it, but I'll take it now!

The stomach bug has officially hit our house too.  My oldest was sick Thursday night and Friday.  My youngest and husband got sick early afternoon and by 4 we were fighting over the bathroom.  We are fortunate and my parents took our oldest overnight.  It has been rough around here.  I said I wanted to lose weight this year but I did not need it jumpstarted with a stomach bug. 
2010-01-04 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Great article just posted here on BT.  It links a bunch of articles, programs, etc for the new triathlete.  I found good articles I had never seen before.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1918
2010-01-04 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Awfully quiet today.   Is everyone's holiday/time off over and back to the grind?  Mine is, meh.  So what are the plans for this week?  I was looking at the training programs on BT and I picked out a 16wk 3x balanced tri program (I've always been the person that just does my own plan, so I really want to stick to one this year).  My first A race is not until 6/20 so 16wks back from that puts the start date exactly on Mar 1.  So, that means I have 2 months to build up my base.  Going to work on running/biking and then pick up the swimming towards the end of Feb (and find a coach to give me a few lessons). 

The plan this week is to work out 4-5 times and I am going to attempt to do my first spin class Fri or Sat.  So my goals for the next two months are 5-6 bike/runs per week and 2-3 small at home strength training sessions. 
2010-01-04 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2593229

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
chichitao - 2010-01-04 1:18 PM Awfully quiet today.   Is everyone's holiday/time off over and back to the grind?  Mine is, meh.  So what are the plans for this week?  I was looking at the training programs on BT and I picked out a 16wk 3x balanced tri program (I've always been the person that just does my own plan, so I really want to stick to one this year).  My first A race is not until 6/20 so 16wks back from that puts the start date exactly on Mar 1.  So, that means I have 2 months to build up my base.  Going to work on running/biking and then pick up the swimming towards the end of Feb (and find a coach to give me a few lessons). 

The plan this week is to work out 4-5 times and I am going to attempt to do my first spin class Fri or Sat.  So my goals for the next two months are 5-6 bike/runs per week and 2-3 small at home strength training sessions. 

Yep, back to the grind as of today for me, lot's of upcoming projects are going to keep me very busy workwise,  trying to wrap up a couple of projects right now to make way for the new ones.  My plans for this week are to work on scheduling my own training sessions in amongst work, and teaching bootcamps, trying to fit in the half Marathon clinic I start tomorrow night with everything else going on.   Next Sunday I am signed up to start getting some swim instruction on my form and start working on some kind of swim plan.  writing and thinking about all that I have going on is a little overwhelming, but I'll make it all work, just have to plan it out in the calendar.  I need one of those food replicators they have on the enterprise, not having to worry about cooking meals would be awesome.

2010-01-04 4:34 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Sounds like everyone is back at it.

I ended up gaining 5 lbs over the holidays.  And I really don't want to go back to work.

Got out and ran this morning.  Flippin' cold out there.

What's your motivation for triathlons?
2010-01-04 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2593461

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Yep, holiday time and fun is all over for us.  My busy time at work starts today.  Once this week is over, my busy time will be at my desk and I will be able to check in much more.  This week I am all over my office and not online much.

Not sure what this week holds.  I stayed in bed this morning so need to do something after my youngest goes to bed. 

What motivates me to do triathlons?  Not really sure.  It was on my list of things to do before I turned 30.  I did my first 2 months before I turned 32.  Whatever...I still did it!  I will be honest that my main motivator was a close family member telling me I was crazy to think I could do one.  My sis went with me back in May when I got a tattoo.  She told me she did not believe I ran the entire 10 miles back in the race in March.  She told me there was no way I could ever do a half marathon, a full marathon, or any kind of triathlon.  She went to the bathroom and the tattoo artist was like "WTF is her problem?"  I told her if she did not believe I ran the whole 10 miles, she can do the run with me this March.  Shut her up real quick!!

I was hooked immediately after doing the sprint tri.  I think part of the appeal to me is the cross training.  I have incredibly flat feet and just can't run too many days in a row.  I never thought I would like running and thought my trainer was nuts when he told me to run.  More on it later but gotta run.
2010-01-04 5:11 PM
in reply to: #2593461

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
KenD - 2010-01-04 2:34 PM Sounds like everyone is back at it.

I ended up gaining 5 lbs over the holidays.  And I really don't want to go back to work.

Got out and ran this morning.  Flippin' cold out there.

What's your motivation for triathlons?

I hear you on not wanting to go back to work, I really enjoyed my 2 weeks off and being able to train whenever I felt like it...I long to be independently wealthy.  Overall, I have a pretty good job and work with really great people for the most part, so I guess I can't complain too much.

What motivates me to want to do Tri's...my husband started a marathon clinic earlier last year, I was still working through a knee injury at the time and the thought of running a marathon didn't hold any appeal to me.  I like swimming, I like biking and when injury free I enjoy running, and after reading up a bit on triathlon and seeing the many different options for distances, I looked to it as my next "goal".  So far I have been fortunate with all my friends and family being very supportive.  Though if there were a naysayer in the bunch it would motivate me to prove them wrong. 

I am loving the training and can't wait till I get to do my first Tri in May.
2010-01-04 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Motivation...I really can't remember what started it exactly for me.  I picked up mountain biking about 5 years ago and then the tour de france really motivated me to get a road bike.  After road riding for a while, i realized that I am already doing 2 out of the 3 sports (very little swimming background for me).  I entered tris as a way to stay in shape and to workout b/c I get bored easily and like variation.  I never really had that desire to be an ironman.  I am happy to be a sprint/olympic guy who gives it his all and can hopefully one day make it into the top 10% (I was in the top 18% of one but it was the same day as a popular oly and so all the fast people were there, but I'll take it!). 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken D's Group - Shut Rss Feed  

of 28