BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-12-29 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2556283

User image

Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Group - FULL!!
Garmins and Bikes??? I got a pack of hunting socks???????Laughing Sounds like everyone had a good Christmas. Still lacking motivation but will attempt a fairly structured plan starting the 3rd. I just cannot bring myself to get on a set training plan I always end up missing something and feel bad and then try making it up etc. Sorta tend to do better training by feel. I do keep my eye on the plan to make sure times and distances are close.

2009-12-29 9:48 PM

User image

Cedar Rapids
Sorry guys... I couldn't let us fall to the second page of the mentor groups!!

So, here is a general question for the group.....

Whats the one thing that motivated you to train today/lately? Habits, thoughts, standing naked in front of the mirror? 

Because I had a huge FAIL today and laid in bed for 1 hour day dreaming instead of rolling out of bed and going running. Tomorrow is a new day and I'm sure I will get up and go, but it would be nice to have new thoughts/ideas to motivate me.
2009-12-29 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2583233

Lancaster County, PA
Hey Amber - Nothing motivated me to train today....but it was my day off so that's unfair! But yesterday i was motivated because i made prior arrangements to meet a friend to ride with and tomorrow morning i'm getting my tush out of bed at 6am because i made arrangements with another friend to meet me at the gym to swim...yea....so basically i suck at all self-discipline and self-motivation. it's horrible. So what i do instead is my present self suckers my furture self in to alllll kinds of crazy things by making commitments with other people. Let's see: Sister-in-law is good for bikes, couple-friends who will run with me on Saturdays in bad weather and good weather, work friend who will lift with me AND swim with me and new friend that i just made who will ride stationary bike with me when too cold for outside.... That's all i know to do. And when i don't do this i don't train and i get fat.

I am always jealous of those who have it in themselves to fight the mornings and sleep deprivation and human tendency to sit rather than stand, etc and they really, really do it. I nod my head in awe!

For now i will continue to hunt my victims who will help me in my battle against my internal enemies!!!

And this week? So far so good. going to bed now as i have a victim lined up for early AM.... mwah ha ha
2009-12-29 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Amber871 - 2009-12-29 7:48 PM Sorry guys... I couldn't let us fall to the second page of the mentor groups!!

Whats the one thing that motivated you to train today/lately? Habits, thoughts, standing naked in front of the mirror? 

Because I had a huge FAIL today and laid in bed for 1 hour day dreaming instead of rolling out of bed and going running. Tomorrow is a new day and I'm sure I will get up and go, but it would be nice to have new thoughts/ideas to motivate me.

On vacation this week, so there's absolutely NO excuse not to train.  I've been moaning and groaning a lot lately about being tired and sore.  It's amazing how refreshed and energized one can feel when you get a good night's sleep and don't have to go to work.

Of course, next week I won't have the luxury of working out when my body is good and ready.  It'll be up at 5am and squeezing in the workout of the day.  What will keep me going then (I hope) is the constant reminders to myself that fitness is hard won, and so quick to diminish.  Sure, I might really enjoy (or even need) hitting the snooze and blowing off the day's run or work on the trainer.  But too many of those days and when I finally do get around to getting back on track, it will be like starting over.  Yep--that definitely keeps me motivated. 

Oh--and one other thing--I've always enjoyed tracking all my training.  Just knowing I've documented the effort keeps me going.  Now with this mentor group though, there is extra incentive as any one of you may be checking out my log Surprised
2009-12-30 6:28 AM
in reply to: #2583248

User image

Veteran
Enjoy the days off and good training.

I'm getting ready to head to work.  I started to log everything this month and working on nutrition too.  I check to see how you did with the week off. 

Motivators (in no particular order)

- Increasing volume and intensity without injuries that have been hindering me in the past - mostly calf pain from running.
- Remembering how bad it hurt on the run last Oly and making sure I really prepared.
- Seeing noticable improvements in some of my technique and in my fitness.

Edited by Jacklcm 2009-12-30 8:31 AM
2009-12-30 6:35 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Amber871 - 2009-12-29 9:48 PM Sorry guys... I couldn't let us fall to the second page of the mentor groups!!

Amber, thanks for the thread bump and great question!

After the Christmas holiday I was motivated to get back to it.  I had four solid days off of doing nothing but stuffing my face with food.  I get pretty restless when I am inactive for any sort of period of time so I was just itching to get back to the gym.

I had some extra motivation yesterday too.  8 weeks ago I started a swim focused block of training.  At the beginning of that block I did a 1000yd TT to see where I was at.  Yesterday I repeated the time trial to track my gains.  I knew I had a good 8 weeks and was eager to see concrete evidence of improvement.  Well I went from a 17:21 in that first week to a 16:07 last night.  Needless to say I was very happy with the result.

2009-12-30 8:32 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Amber871 - 2009-12-29 10:48 PM Sorry guys... I couldn't let us fall to the second page of the mentor groups!!

I've been training almost daily since I was in 7th grade playing football. I suppose now it's more of a "auto pilot" self-sufficient type thing.

Still, something I learned in my bodybuilding years is that sometimes taking that one day off is more important than forcing yourself into the gym.

Overtraining is hard to diagnose but very real and dangerous, especially to an endurance athlete. One of the most common symptoms (and often overlooked because it's easy to confuse with just being lazy haha) is "mental fatigue." It's hard to tell the difference sometimes between "I do not want to do this threshold ride" and "My body is telling me I need to rest/recover."

Anyways, don't think of it as failure, the body needs a lot of rest to repair itself. Just figure your next workout will be faster/stronger than it would have been.

As far as what I think on those days I want to skip / stay in bed / go out drinking / etc...
"Somewhere out there is somebody else who got up while I slept in, put on an extra layer of clothes and ran while I said "It's too cold," did that one more set of sprints when I was taking off my bike shoes, said "More" when I said "Enough" ... I'll see him at the race, he'll be in front of me."

that usually gets me up and moving
2009-12-30 11:20 AM

Lancaster County, PA
Question:

Having a very long, strong foundation in weights, it's been a very tough transition to so much endurance training. Which of course i understand 100% is necessary and i could probably do much more.... One thing that i've noticed in the past with weight training is how quickly my body responds to the high intensity lifting (high weights, shorter reps) and the increase of weights. The program that i'm following now so that i can compete in my FIRST TRIATHLON!! is all about sustained lifting (lower weights & 12 - 15 reps.) I feel like i'm not really getting stronger and after 3 months my body is not changing much. I've lost weight from the bike riding and more recently, the swimming... and of course eating correctly again (but not in the last week! UGH!) But in those 3 months, except for an increase in shoulder strength, i haven't been able to lift more with any other body part than when i started.

I quess i'm curious: does every triathlete do this? Are there some triathletes that do concentrate a little more on their weights? I am following a program for beginners from this website. The name of the program is, simply enough, Beginner Exerciser Program. I'm just finishing up month three. I have about 20 pounds to lose in addition to getting ready for my first Tri, which is May 22. I'm female.... any recommendations or thoughts?

Happy New Year!
2009-12-30 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2584118

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Jarahn - 2009-12-30 12:20 PM Question:

Having a very long, strong foundation in weights, it's been a very tough transition to so much endurance training. Which of course i understand 100% is necessary and i could probably do much more.... One thing that i've noticed in the past with weight training is how quickly my body responds to the high intensity lifting (high weights, shorter reps) and the increase of weights. The program that i'm following now so that i can compete in my FIRST TRIATHLON!! is all about sustained lifting (lower weights & 12 - 15 reps.) I feel like i'm not really getting stronger and after 3 months my body is not changing much. I've lost weight from the bike riding and more recently, the swimming... and of course eating correctly again (but not in the last week! UGH!) But in those 3 months, except for an increase in shoulder strength, i haven't been able to lift more with any other body part than when i started.

I quess i'm curious: does every triathlete do this? Are there some triathletes that do concentrate a little more on their weights? I am following a program for beginners from this website. The name of the program is, simply enough, Beginner Exerciser Program. I'm just finishing up month three. I have about 20 pounds to lose in addition to getting ready for my first Tri, which is May 22. I'm female.... any recommendations or thoughts?

Happy New Year!

I'm not sure I 100% understand what the question is, but I'll bite anyways.

Coming from bodybuilding background at 215lbs, I'll try to help if I can. (Now 150-155lbs)

It all depends on what you want.

If you want to be a good triathlete, you need to train for triathlons.
If you want to be a stronger lifter, you need to lift heavy weights.
If you want to look better, you need to fix the kitchen.

It's all going to come down to what your goals are.
Wanting to finish a tri (what distance?) - you can be deep into a lifting schedule and finish
Wanting to compete however is going to take much more time into the 3 sports... and it will not leave much time for strength training. It's hard to ride a bike for an hour or more the day after a heavy leg workout.

Care to expand a bit on your situation?
2009-12-30 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2584231

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Leegoocrap - 2009-12-30 10:08 AM
Jarahn - 2009-12-30 12:20 PM Question:

Happy New Year!

I'm not sure I 100% understand what the question is, but I'll bite anyways.

Coming from bodybuilding background at 215lbs, I'll try to help if I can. (Now 150-155lbs)

It all depends on what you want.

If you want to be a good triathlete, you need to train for triathlons.
If you want to be a stronger lifter, you need to lift heavy weights.
If you want to look better, you need to fix the kitchen.

It's all going to come down to what your goals are.
Wanting to finish a tri (what distance?) - you can be deep into a lifting schedule and finish
Wanting to compete however is going to take much more time into the 3 sports... and it will not leave much time for strength training. It's hard to ride a bike for an hour or more the day after a heavy leg workout.

Care to expand a bit on your situation?

I think Chris brings up a good point--and one that I personally am caught up in as well--deciding what you want.  I mentioned before that I'm coming to tri from a running background.  Training for running is different than training for the run in a tri.  It's hard to give up the ghost on the run training when it's what you know (and know that it works).  While muscular strength and endurance are critically important to the triathlete, having the physique and the stamina of a body builder probably won't help you much if that comes at the expense of swimming, biking and running endurance.

You've already made the commitment to your first tri in May--W00T!  You're a step ahead of me as the only races I have planned for the spring are running events.  I see my first tri as more of a late summer/early fall endeavor.  As such, I'm easing into the full blow tri-training approach by continuing to focus on the run training for now while integrating bike and swim base building.  I'm going through the same training confusion you are.  But I have the luxury of a longer prep period than you, and anticipate I'll 'get over it' in due time.  For you, it may have to be a leap of faith that the strength training you are doing right now (and whatever else you are doing in the pool and on the road) are preparing you well, and just go with it. 

2009-12-30 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2584231

Lancaster County, PA

Chris -
Good point you brought up about knowing what i want.... I want to be a super duper amazing triathlete. That's priority # 1. Priortiy # 2, because i'm very vain, i want to look good. In the past, to look good quickly, i used weights with a little cardio and ate right. Now i feel like i'm doing a a lot of cardio and little weights (still trying to eat right.) My true question was: can i do more weight lifting (as long as i still fit in the distances and time on the other disciplines that my program is calling for - which isn't much right now) without jeapordizing training..... The weight lifting doesn't hurt anything, does it?

I am registered for three sprints this year, one in may, one in July, one in September. Oly distance in '11. but i have this poundage i want gone immediately as i know swimming and running, particuarly, will benefit for that. Every pound of muscle burns so much more calories, weight training enables me to burn more calories for longer than the initial depletion from aerobics....

So you can tell where my head is - that's all i've known since HS. Ran cross-country a loooonnng time ago, nothing high-endurance except mountain biking since... Thanks for all the help!

2009-12-30 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2584415

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Jarahn - 2009-12-30 1:17 PM

Chris -
Good point you brought up about knowing what i want.... I want to be a super duper amazing triathlete. That's priority # 1. Priortiy # 2, because i'm very vain, i want to look good. In the past, to look good quickly, i used weights with a little cardio and ate right. Now i feel like i'm doing a a lot of cardio and little weights (still trying to eat right.) My true question was: can i do more weight lifting (as long as i still fit in the distances and time on the other disciplines that my program is calling for - which isn't much right now) without jeapordizing training..... The weight lifting doesn't hurt anything, does it?

I am registered for three sprints this year, one in may, one in July, one in September. Oly distance in '11. but i have this poundage i want gone immediately as i know swimming and running, particuarly, will benefit for that. Every pound of muscle burns so much more calories, weight training enables me to burn more calories for longer than the initial depletion from aerobics....

So you can tell where my head is - that's all i've known since HS. Ran cross-country a loooonnng time ago, nothing high-endurance except mountain biking since... Thanks for all the help!

Jen I think in your case to do a little more lifting probably wouldn't hurt.  To Chris's point if you're lifting so much/hard that you are very sore and unable to put in a quality endurance workout the next day then you may want to dial the lifting down a notch.

I used to lift alot before seriously focusing my endurance training on being competitive.  To be honest I don't lift as much as I probably should and when I do it's almost entirely of the low weight high rep variety with a focus on core strength.

I did find it as a great supplement to running when I first started losing weight a few years ago and don't want to totally discount the benefits of putting on muscle to lose weight. 

2009-12-30 9:50 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Jarahn - 2009-12-30 2:17 PM

Chris -

If you are serious about being the best triathlete possible, that is where your focus needs to be.

The bad(ish) news is that depending on what you think is appealing, #1 and #2 might not be totally complimentary. I thought I looked 100% better at a muscular 215lbs than I do at a bottom heavy 150lbs. I had to give up a massive chest and "big guns" for a faster min/mile (still not fast mind you)
It's difficult to be "proportionally appealing" and a good endurance athlete.  /Rant

Your question is a lot more difficult to answer than I think I'm qualified to answer, but I'll give it a go anyways, so take my opinions as just that.

Can I do more weight lifting without jeapordizing training - Maybe. If you lifting on Monday will make your run/bike/swim suffer on Tuesday or Wednesday, then it is not going to benefit goal #1.

From your logs you have spent almost as much time strength training as you have cycling, and considerably more than you have running/swimming. I'm not saying that is bad, I'm simply saying that 5 hours in November distributed in the 3sports instead of lifting would have been a better investment if being a competitive triathlete is #1. As far as burning calories goes, you will be burning quite a lot in the 3sports (not the same as muscle will burn I'll agree, but you should be building some muscle in the 3sports)

All that said, I think the next important question for you to ask yourself is "What kind of goal am I setting for myself in May?" July? September? 5-9 months is a long time, and a lot can be done, but it's not THAT long.
2009-12-30 10:06 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I am probably the last person qualified to answer this, but I have learned alot over the last several months. I went to a traithletes seminar a month or so ago and the biggest thing everyone took away is that most triathletes sacrafice strength training and stretching to get in the endurance.  When asked if someone was short on time what they would do, they would do the endurance work.  However, most people at that seminar who answered that were also all the people dealing with injuries, some so much so they missed an ironman they trained for months for . . .

Quote I took away:  "Wouldn't it be nice to put in 100% training and get more than 80% out of your races???"

So what am I trying to say:

-  Strength training is really important to help balance all the muscles and make sure our bodies are ready for all the endurance work, otherwise injuries could become a part of life
-  Core training is SUPER important --- I have noticed a significant difference just in swimming from doing core work
-  In the end, you have to get in the miles and time swimming, cycling and running

I put in maybe and hour or 2 a week in strength and core training.  There is no reason you can't have an awesome body and be a triathlete, but it is harder to carry around muscle .  However, if you continue to focus on shorter races you shouldn't have too much of a problem with lifting all the time.
2009-12-30 10:51 PM

User image

Also not the end all answer man but I did power lift for 20 years prior to getting into the tri's last year and I still think that the lifting for years helped protect against injury as I was running etc. at 284 lbs. when I started. With that being said I know you will need to focus on your SBR and cut back on your lifting and continue to go light weight high reps. Really for me just do what makes you feel comfortable. early in my training I still do alot of weight training because thats what I know as I get into my specific training I cut back significantly but never quit lifting like some people do but again that is just comfortable for me. If you work out hard it will all come out in the wash I have found.
2009-12-31 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Happy New Year fellow Disturbed275 Groupies!!!!!!!! 

2009-12-31 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2586514

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Jacklcm - 2009-12-31 12:26 PM Happy New Year fellow Disturbed275 Groupies!!!!!!!! 

LOL!  I have groupies.  Sweet!
2009-12-31 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Hope everyone has a safe, fun New Year!  Here's to a great year of training and racing in 2010!
2009-12-31 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2586685

User image

Veteran
Read your blog and you mentioned a fun bike workout for the trainer.  Can you give details.  Its looking like I'm stuck indoors here in VA for the next few days.  Now its time for VT football.  Go Hokies.

Edited by Jacklcm 2009-12-31 6:25 PM
2010-01-01 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Hey everyone, HAPPY NEW YEAR

Now for the motivation . . . . Ironman Triathlons from Hawaii on ALL day long on the US channel.

I know I am going to ride my bike today watching.  Happy training

Carrie
2010-01-01 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2587095

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Jacklcm - 2009-12-31 6:24 PM Read your blog and you mentioned a fun bike workout for the trainer.  Can you give details.  Its looking like I'm stuck indoors here in VA for the next few days.  Now its time for VT football.  Go Hokies.

That would be my football watching sprint workout.  I basically do hard intervals when certain things occur during the game.

30 second sprints for first downs, punts and sacks.

1 minute for field goals and turnovers

1:30 for touchdowns

The times are additive too so, for example, if a team gets a first down and then a touchdown before you finish the 30 second sprint you have to add the 1:30 to the time you have left.  This can get really dicey when a team is running a hurry up offense and marches down the field.

I'll be doing this workout shortly while watching the Rose Bowl.  Enjoy!

2010-01-01 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2588043

User image

Veteran
Sounds like a great way to spice up the trainer routine. Thanks.
2010-01-01 8:58 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Happy First everybody... how are you guys starting off the New Year?

3 hour recovery ride for me... Rose Bowl and all that.
2010-01-01 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2588542

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Sugar bowl for me, and a 1 hour easy ride.

Doing a triathlon evaluation tomorrow am (swim stoke analysis, run gait analysis, bit fit, etc).  Can't wait.  Will let you know if I find out anything exciting.
2010-01-02 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2588542

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Leegoocrap - 2010-01-01 8:58 PM Happy First everybody... how are you guys starting off the New Year?

3 hour recovery ride for me... Rose Bowl and all that.

Did you really spend 3 hours on the drainer?  Most impressive!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 26