BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2010-01-09 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2557655

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010!
Tomorrow starts week two of my marathon training plan.  9 miles - not too bad, but the really rough part is that its going to be 16F!  I have to make sure to lay out all my stuff tonight so I can just get dressed and go without thinking about it and get my tail out the door.  It was cold this morning too, but I ran at the gym.  Have to not psych myself out that its too cold outside while lying in a warm comfy bed.  Hopefully I'll have time to get a swim in too.  I bump up my swim yardage tomorrow to 2600 yds.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and staying relatively warm.

2010-01-09 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2605388

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
momtolucylilly - 2010-01-09 8:47 PMsilly question - where are we suppose to be adding everyone's names too??  I'm enjoying all the conversation...soaking up the wisdomLaughing
You can add them as 'friends' when you go to 'settings' and blog settings. Then they show up on your training log on the left hand side.
2010-01-09 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2605399

New user

Westmoreland County
bwingate - 2010-01-09 8:56 PM Tomorrow starts week two of my marathon training plan.  9 miles - not too bad, but the really rough part is that its going to be 16F!  I have to make sure to lay out all my stuff tonight so I can just get dressed and go without thinking about it and get my tail out the door.  It was cold this morning too, but I ran at the gym.  Have to not psych myself out that its too cold outside while lying in a warm comfy bed.  Hopefully I'll have time to get a swim in too.  I bump up my swim yardage tomorrow to 2600 yds.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

I can't drag myself out there, I need to move closer to one of you guys.  You could break down my door and drag me out there!
It is going to be a whopping 5 degrees tomorrow morning.

Keep it up, you are making me feel pretty guilty!!!

Stay warm.

Paul

2010-01-09 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2605431

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Ripper10 - 2010-01-09 9:20 PM
bwingate - 2010-01-09 8:56 PM Tomorrow starts week two of my marathon training plan.  9 miles - not too bad, but the really rough part is that its going to be 16F!  I have to make sure to lay out all my stuff tonight so I can just get dressed and go without thinking about it and get my tail out the door.  It was cold this morning too, but I ran at the gym.  Have to not psych myself out that its too cold outside while lying in a warm comfy bed.  Hopefully I'll have time to get a swim in too.  I bump up my swim yardage tomorrow to 2600 yds.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

I can't drag myself out there, I need to move closer to one of you guys.  You could break down my door and drag me out there!

Stay warm.

Paul

It takes some commitment. Go get it.
2010-01-10 4:33 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
Well, it's 7am, sitting on couch, coffee in hand, about to have oatmeal, for my 13 miler, with my running group.

As I type, I can hear the wind howling outside & the couch is exerting a strong suction effect on me!

I am supposed to be paceleader for my subgroup this morning, this usually gets me going, out of guilt!

Oh well, time to put on the tights! Something my non-running buddies continually laugh at...

Catch y'all when I return, hopefully not an ice junk!

R

PS. Bwingate, 9mile run ...very nice!

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-10 4:36 AM
2010-01-10 4:40 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
momtolucylilly - 2010-01-09 9:47 PMsilly question - where are we suppose to be adding everyone's names too??  I'm enjoying all the conversation...soaking up the wisdomLaughing
Hey Amy, what do you do today? Not taking easy too much are you?!?

As long as you keep coming in here, it is our obligation to nag you into exercise!!

R

PS. I realise it is difficult with 2 small kids. I have a 7 & 9 yo. We all have to juggle things, continuously!

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-10 4:41 AM

2010-01-10 4:48 AM
in reply to: #2605153

User image

Expert
Canada
pastoops - 2010-01-09 6:12 PMOh, and I borrowed my buddies Zipp 404 carbon wheels for my last two tri's (including the 70.3) and they are still on the bike...I'm sure he'll ask for them back...that is one thing I'm going to try to invest in this year....they are sweet....
I have been debating getting a set this season. Zipps seem to be the standard. My LBS likes HED. They carry both, but feel you get very similar quality for $500 less a set. My Tri buddies seem to be spit down the middle.

Any experience with HED?

R
2010-01-10 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2605441

Extreme Veteran
pastoops - 2010-01-09 9:26 PM
Ripper10 - 2010-01-09 9:20 PM

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

Stay warm.

Paul

It takes some commitment. Go get it.

You just have to get over the dread of what it might be like and just go crashing into it.  All that wondering and excuse making beforehand just psychs you out and give you a reason to stay in bed.  This morning it was 14F when I started.  I was a hair overdressed, but not too bad.  It was chilly for the first 10 minutes, and then I warmed myself up and was fine.  Had a turtle fur neck gaiter that went on and off as needed.

Really, once you're dressed and outside, that's 90% of the battle.
2010-01-10 9:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
momtolucylilly - 2010-01-09 8:47 PM silly question - where are we suppose to be adding everyone's names too??  I'm enjoying all the conversation...soaking up the wisdomLaughing

There's a way to put links to everyone in your mentor group into your logs.  Follow this link:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=192026

I'll be doing this later today, so you can copy this out tomorrow or late tonight for your logs.

BTW, take a look a the list and find a person or two who has dropped out and send them an inspire.  Again, something I'll be doing while watching football, and it won't be much more than just "Hey, haven't seen you in the mentor group.  How's everything going?  Even if you're not training much, why don't you post a note about what's going on.  We might be able to help with what's keeping you from training? "

Edited by bwingate 2010-01-10 9:09 AM
2010-01-10 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2605757

User image

Expert
Canada
bwingate - 2010-01-10 11:02 AMReally, once you're dressed and outside, that's 90% of the battle.
You are Wise, BW!
2010-01-10 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
Morning Peeps,

Just back from my 21.5k, long run. Miserable, cold, windy, chill-to-your-bones morning!

Glad to have it done & home to warm up!!

Hope everyone is well!

R

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-10 10:19 AM

2010-01-10 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2605654

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
[QUOTE

Any experience with HED?

R

Not yet...but I think you are correct...alot of the 'ZIPP' mystique is in the name...re: cost $$ more...
2010-01-10 3:47 PM

User image

Regular
Man been a busy weekend. I leave you guys alone and you fill 3 pages for me to catch up on LOL!!  great to see all the activity. 

Well First--- Bike Story
I rode BMX in JR high school and until I got a car in High school. After my 1st year tour overseas in the USMC I was stationed at Camp Pendeloton California for the rest of my 4 years 1987-1991.  My wife and I bought a couple of MTN bikes and I often rode it to and from work about a 15 mile round trip and me and couple of guys I worked with rode the many trails and hills on base at lunch time. I later got a used but nearly new GIANT road bike form a guy going over seas and started using it for daily ride to work and some of us did a 10 mile ride to the front gate gym worked out and rode back at lunch.  Leg workout day was a killer return ride LOL!!  Like a fool I sold the Giant to a friend when I got out of the Marines but I still have My 21 year old GT mountain bike in mint condition to this day, and still ride it althought I have not rode it alot since 2006 until recently.  As you may have seen from a few post back I picked up a older Road Bike (See pic few pages back)  Friday I put new tires, Aero bar pads, & a seat on it then Saturday took it to the LBS for a tune up and a new chain. It has old Shimano clipless pedals on it MTB size and guy gave me a set of tore up shoes with the clips on them so I also need a pare of shoes to swap the clips to then I'll be on the road.  In all I'll be out about $350.  Bike has a Crome molly frame so it is heaver than a aluminum or CF bike but still at least 10 pounds lighter than my MTB. I figure it will serve me well and may be next year i'll look at a modern update bike.

SWIM--
I have been in the water all my life my parents live on a lake and I grew up water sking so I have 0 fear of the water ...Well Fresh water that is I fish alot in both fresh and salt water and all the salt water criters have teeth LOL!!  But even though I have spent many hours in the water I have no formal swim training. So, I probably need some lessons before I can think about doing a Tri.  I plan to do that in the next few weeks.

Medical update--
The long term Inhaler the doctor gave me seemed to help I can breath much better I should be able to do some speed work now and work on making some real gains in my run instead of just strugling to survive the distance.  I ran 5 miles today and for the last mile I did several strides and actuall hit 8 minute mile pace for one 1/4 mile streatch before I did a walk recover and repeat.  This is a BIG gain I could not do that before my lungs wouldn't expand and would feel like you were frying chicken in them and id start gasping for breath and stop running that was trying to roll a 10 minute mile.  I am hoping that now if I do my part with some track speed work and keep a long weekend run in the program i can start getting my pace back instead of pluging along at 12 to 12.30 min miles.  Loosing more weight will also help. I'm still about 12 to 15 pounds off where I need to be but steadly making progress in that area. 

Races-- 
I am on the fence about what to do here. I initally thought I was going to do a 1/2 marithon, but I use to just do 5k's and i have done (1) 1/2 marithon before.  Now that the new meds may have my lungs back to working, and I have aquired a road bike, I'm thinking that I'd be better served to work on shorter speed work during the week and keep about a 10k long run on the weekend.  Ill work this in with biking and see about the swim lessons in a few weeks and just plan on getting ready for a Sprint late spring early summer.  I have a hard time just going in with the intent to strugle to finish I'd rather take a bit longer and build a good base so I know I can finish with ease.  Thought on this are welcome. 

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-01-10 3:51 PM
2010-01-10 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2605848

Extreme Veteran
GoGoGo - 2010-01-10 11:18 AM Morning Peeps,

Just back from my 21.5k, long run. Miserable, cold, windy, chill-to-your-bones morning!

Glad to have it done & home to warm up!!

Hope everyone is well!

R

I keep forgetting that you're from the great white north - so this is a real accomplishment - 21.5k ~ 13 - 14 miles.  A half-mary out on the tundra with the polar bears.  Good job.

2010-01-10 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2606198

User image

Expert
Canada
SAWFISH50 - 2010-01-10 5:47 PMRaces-- 
I am on the fence about what to do here. I initally thought I was going to do a 1/2 marithon, but I use to just do 5k's and i have done (1) 1/2 marithon before.  Now that the new meds may have my lungs back to working, and I have aquired a road bike, I'm thinking that I'd be better served to work on shorter speed work during the week and keep about a 10k long run on the weekend.  Ill work this in with biking and see about the swim lessons in a few weeks and just plan on getting ready for a Sprint late spring early summer.  I have a hard time just going in with the intent to strugle to finish I'd rather take a bit longer and build a good base so I know I can finish with ease.  Thought on this are welcome. 
Since you asked...I would not put too much emphasis on speedwork yet. If you have not been running much, recently, it is a recipe for injury, with little benefit. Your comment about building a good base is right on. I would make it a point of running consistently 3-4 times per week, at a steady pace & a weekend long run, as you are doing. If you are doing 10k on weekend, doing 5k run every second day, will start to build up a base again. as time goes you might increase to 6. I would just try to be consistent & the speed will come. When you are doing the 5-6's easily, I would add Hill training. Finally, the speedwork.

JMHO

PS. 0 fear of water...I envy you !

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-10 5:56 PM
2010-01-10 6:02 PM

User image

New user
Got back in the groove this weekend finally! Yesterday 1 mile quick warm up on the treadmill then 30 minute spin workout (I try and do what I've learned in class if there are none available that day,) and abs. Today 2 mile run, 1.1 mile walk on increasing incline then 15 mins. on the bike and abs. Tomorrow is the first day I'm going to attempt my morning swim workouts. I am NOT a morning person, but I do enjoy the pool, so I'm hoping that's a slight incentive. Now I just have to cut the crappy food out of my diet. It was sooo much easier when I lived alone! lol I've lost a lot of weight before but now I'd just like to cut about 15 off that I've gained back. Let's hope it goes well!

2010-01-10 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2606380

User image

Expert
Canada
Kristen8040 - 2010-01-10 8:02 PMGot back in the groove this weekend finally! Yesterday 1 mile quick warm up on the treadmill then 30 minute spin workout (I try and do what I've learned in class if there are none available that day,) and abs. Today 2 mile run, 1.1 mile walk on increasing incline then 15 mins. on the bike and abs. Tomorrow is the first day I'm going to attempt my morning swim workouts. I am NOT a morning person, but I do enjoy the pool, so I'm hoping that's a slight incentive. Now I just have to cut the crappy food out of my diet. It was sooo much easier when I lived alone! lol I've lost a lot of weight before but now I'd just like to cut about 15 off that I've gained back. Let's hope it goes well!
Good to see you back! Keep us up-to-date!
2010-01-10 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2606377

User image

Regular
GoGoGo - 2010-01-10 5:55 PM
SAWFISH50 - 2010-01-10 5:47 PMRaces-- 
Since you asked...I would not put too much emphasis on speedwork yet. If you have not been running much, recently, it is a recipe for injury, with little benefit. Your comment about building a good base is right on. I would make it a point of running consistently 3-4 times per week, at a steady pace & a weekend long run, as you are doing. If you are doing 10k on weekend, doing 5k run every second day, will start to build up a base again. as time goes you might increase to 6. I would just try to be consistent & the speed will come. When you are doing the 5-6's easily, I would add Hill training. Finally, the speedwork.

JMHO

PS. 0 fear of water...I envy you !

Yea I am still building milage my longest run so far has been 8 miles and I do a couple of 3 to 4 mile runs in mid week.  I have no injury problems just breathing problems up till today LOL!!  By speed work I really mean doing some stuff like 1/4 mile strides followed by few minute recovery walk repeated until you reach 3 miles or so just something to stretch my lungs a bit and keep that long run between 6 to 10 miles. I figure a couple of months of that and I'll see marked improvement. 

Fear of the water is a common thing that I never thought much about until I was in Boot camp. During water suvival training there were a bunch of recuits that were terrified to get in much less do it in full gear and stay afloat for 15 minutes.  Here is the best one... I work in the oilfield and had to take a water survival class to fly out to oil rigs on a helicopter, in the class they put you in a big metal cage that semilates the cockpiot of a helicopter and it goes down a roler coaster track crashes in a pool and flips upside down.... your job is to unbutton your seatbelt open the door adn get to the surface.  that one was a bit of a challange...I wasnt scared of the water on that one but I was a bit concerned about the water mixed with that cage and being upside down ...LOL!!

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-01-10 6:38 PM
2010-01-10 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2606442

Extreme Veteran
SAWFISH50 - 2010-01-10 7:37 PM
Fear of the water is a common thing that I never thought much about until I was in Boot camp. During water suvival training there were a bunch of recuits that were terrified to get in much less do it in full gear and stay afloat for 15 minutes.  Here is the best one... I work in the oilfield and had to take a water survival class to fly out to oil rigs on a helicopter, in the class they put you in a big metal cage that semilates the cockpiot of a helicopter and it goes down a roler coaster track crashes in a pool and flips upside down.... your job is to unbutton your seatbelt open the door adn get to the surface.  that one was a bit of a challange...I wasnt scared of the water on that one but I was a bit concerned about the water mixed with that cage and being upside down ...LOL!!

All I had to do during basic training was jump off a 10 meter tower - and that was optional.  Although I might have had to tread water and do makeshift flotation gear with my fatigues. 
2010-01-10 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2606380

Extreme Veteran
Kristen8040 - 2010-01-10 7:02 PM Got back in the groove this weekend finally! Yesterday 1 mile quick warm up on the treadmill then 30 minute spin workout (I try and do what I've learned in class if there are none available that day,) and abs. Today 2 mile run, 1.1 mile walk on increasing incline then 15 mins. on the bike and abs. Tomorrow is the first day I'm going to attempt my morning swim workouts. I am NOT a morning person, but I do enjoy the pool, so I'm hoping that's a slight incentive. Now I just have to cut the crappy food out of my diet. It was sooo much easier when I lived alone! lol I've lost a lot of weight before but now I'd just like to cut about 15 off that I've gained back. Let's hope it goes well!

You'll have more control over what you eat if you're the one who cooks.  And keep good snacks in the house and try to have those instead of the other stuff.  (Easier said than done - cookies don't stand a chance in this house no matter how much fruit and nuts are around.)
2010-01-10 7:29 PM

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga

Sorry for the delay joining in guys, I have had one heck of a busy past few days...  I will now tell you a little about my story and join in and learn from you guys.

My name is Ryan and I am 42 years old.  I am a professional fisherman by trade.  After graduating college, I worked as a Industrial Engineer for 15 years.  My company moved out of the country and to make a long story short, I started my fishing career.  I guide on Lake Lanier in north Georgia where I live and do some pro tournaments.  

I am 6-1 and about 225 pounds right now.  I was at 210 a few months back but have gained a few during the holidays.  Hush and leave me alone about it too.  :>    I can get back down to there pretty quick as I have gotten back to work.

Early last year, I was almost 300 pounds.  The fishing everyday and lack of exercise just blew me up.  I have been working for over a year now to get myself back in shape and had lost 90 pound at one point.  My ideal weight is somewhere around 200-210 pounds.  I am a decently thick person in the chest and upper body.  As far as I know, I am 100% healthy.  I have had my blood work and physicals done every year and as of a few months back, no problems.  

In the fall, I did a sprint event here in north GA which was my first Tri.  I actually did it with a fishing client of mine who invited me to do it.  He has done a few.  I had been biking and running most of the year to lose weight so I thought I would give it a try.  I trained a month or so for the swim and basically "winged" it.   I did fine on the bike and run but the swim about killed me.  Haha

So, to shorten this story, I am signed up for the 70.3 event in mid May in Orlando.  It is something that I have always wanted to do and now is the time.  I have started my "training" but I am not on any kind of plan.  I would love for someone to help me set up a basic plan where I can understand what I need to do.  I don't have a big problem with motivation but just knowing the "right" routine is something I do have a problem with.  

I am very strong on the bike and I am getting a little better on my feet as I shrink but my swim technique is not that great.  I believe that is the discipline that I need the most work at.   

So, thats the dime tour.  I don't know anything about this sport and basically have a bunch of questions.  I bought a bike last year and like it but still have some equipment questions.   I am working on a basic plan for myself for the next few weeks including biking, swimming, running, strength training and even a little yoga.  But I am sure it is a feeble attempt at best..

My loves are my family (wife-Sherri, Son-Shane(13), Jake-(8),Tonya-(24) , College Football (War Eagle) and Music.   

Please help me.   And thanks for letting me be a part of your team..

2010-01-11 5:01 AM
in reply to: #2606538

User image

Expert
Canada
Welcome Ryan,

Sprint ----> Half Iron Whooohh. That is a lofty goal!

Swimming is my nemesis. Many triathletes use "total immersion" as a method for the swim. It is efficient in open water & doesn't stress leg kicks, which Triathletes like, because it saves your legs for the bike & run. There is some info in the swim section of BT on this.

I have also found a lot of useful info on "mr smooth" If you google it, it gives a lot of detail about freestyle stroke, etc.

Have you run a Half Mary or longer?

R

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-11 5:04 AM
2010-01-11 7:32 AM

User image

Regular
Ryan

What do you mean Bass Fishing won't keep you in shape. KVD and Mike Ike always look skinny to Me LOL!!  I Bass fish quite a bit also, have all my life.  Fished many of our great Texas Legendary lakes.  Grand parents lived on Toledo Bend. I have fished Fork. Rayburn, Choke Canyon It is Hot right now lots of 9+ pounders caught on that lake It is better than Amistad but not quite as well known.  Does Lanier have Hydrilla or is it a structure lake?

Like you I need to start swimming and get some lessions I'm sure that is going to be my problem spot in this whole Tri deal. 
2010-01-11 8:47 AM

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Well, lets just say that guiding 60 hours a week does nothing for the figure. Haha... Lake Lanier is a very deep clear water lake. We have mostly spotted bass so we dont see a bunch of big largemouth..Go, I know the HIM is a lofty goal but I am like that. I have always challenged myself and this is a very doable goal. My main goal on this race it just to finish it all. In time. I have been up-ing my running lately and I believe I am going to try the ING half marathon this spring. I should be able to finish it as I have been running a decent amount. i will wait until February to commit.I purchased a bike last year and would like to get a "computer" for it. Id like something very simple. Speed and distance are the most important. Any suggestions? My bike is a road bike and I am having the local bike shop put the tri bars on it soon. Since I do most of my riding close to home, I wanted the safety of the road bike. It has been very cold in north Georgia over the past week or so but it will warm up later this week. I look forward to getting outside and riding. I have only ridden my stationary bike over the past few weeks. I know I need trainer for it but I have not looked into that either..

Edited by LanierSpots 2010-01-11 8:48 AM
2010-01-11 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2607101

User image

Regular
I recomed the Garmin 305 It will do run and bike as well as Heart rate. They have a bike mount kit for it as well as a cadenance atachment if you want that also.  there is a bike mount kit for it if you want that or you can just weare it on your wrist while you ride.  After your workout you can upload you data to your PC in all it is a great tool and can be used for both run and bike.  I have had mine for a couple of months and love it.  I can take off on a run in a direction I have never been before and know how far I have gone at any given moment GPS is great.  I dont think it Has a depth finder attachment though you'll still need your Lowrance for that  LOL!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  

of 35