BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scottt's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2010-01-20 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2558214

User image

Murrieta
Subject: RE: Scottt's Group - Closed
Well sorry I have been not posting for so long, work has taken over and I have been super busy.  I haven't trained for a week and I feel like crap.  I am gonna hit the spin class tonight and get back in gear.  I think nutrition has been tough for me, I haven't been taking a lunch and of course I end up eating bad while on the run.  I don't have a lot of time to eat at work, what are some good tips/ideas to eat better on the run.  My lunch box stays in my patrol car so I have access during the day.  Anyone have good snacks they buy that are tasty yet healthy?

2010-01-20 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2624056

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

I'm curious about what we should be focussing on first.  I've heard it's cadence - but in order to get the cadence up to some of those levels it means - for me - being in the small ring.  When outside I find switching to the smaller ring and keeping my cadence high works well for uphills and doesn't thrash my legs - then I switch in to the bigger gears for the downhills.  But on a trainer - for an hour ride - is it better to start on the middle ring and have a lower cadence and work on bringing it up?  Or find a comfortable gear where you can get to a 90-95rpm cadence and then over time gear up to the bigger rings?

Marcia,

Unless you are specifically working on POWER/STRENGTH, do whatever is necessary to keep you cadence 85-95 rpm.  During a workout, it would not be uncommon to need to shift to keep it either hard enough or easy enough to maintain that cadence.  Obviously, this is a workout and there is such a thing as "too easy".  HR would be a good gauge of intensity.  My next tip will speak specifically to Workout Intesity.

Yes to taper.  I feel a bit lazy, as my longest run this week is 4 miles.

I like your PLAN...sticking to the plan.

Edited by Scottt 2010-01-20 11:36 AM
2010-01-20 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2624181

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

divndrt - 2010-01-20 9:31 AM Well sorry I have been not posting for so long, work has taken over and I have been super busy.  I haven't trained for a week and I feel like crap.  I am gonna hit the spin class tonight and get back in gear.  I think nutrition has been tough for me, I haven't been taking a lunch and of course I end up eating bad while on the run.  I don't have a lot of time to eat at work, what are some good tips/ideas to eat better on the run.  My lunch box stays in my patrol car so I have access during the day.  Anyone have good snacks they buy that are tasty yet healthy?

Some of the better items out there, when it is necessary are:

McDonald Grilled Classic Chicken w/ no mayo- 370 cal/4.5g fat/32g protien  (if you skip the fries)
Jack in the Box Grilled Chicken Strips- 370 cal/6g fat/43g protien  (more protien than we really need)
Jack in the Box Chicken Fajita Pita- 326 cal/6g fat/23g protien
Jack in the Box Chicken Teriayaki Bowl- 693 cal/6g fat/27g protien (you can cut calories by doing easy on the rice)
and various salads at most fast food joints.

If you can't handle a sandwich without condiments, ketchup and mustard are not bad if used in moderation.

Edited by Scottt 2010-01-20 1:46 PM
2010-01-20 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Point
divndrt - 2010-01-20 9:31 AM Well sorry I have been not posting for so long, work has taken over and I have been super busy.  I haven't trained for a week and I feel like crap.  I am gonna hit the spin class tonight and get back in gear.  I think nutrition has been tough for me, I haven't been taking a lunch and of course I end up eating bad while on the run.  I don't have a lot of time to eat at work, what are some good tips/ideas to eat better on the run.  My lunch box stays in my patrol car so I have access during the day.  Anyone have good snacks they buy that are tasty yet healthy?

Hi Damian,

I drove truck for 18 years about 12 years ago before I started driving a desk. I managed to put on a lot of weight there and had the same problems eating right. I can tell you what ever is in that lunch box needs to be healthy the only problem is healthy isn't always easy to eat or at least that was my problem then.  I learned to hate cold sandwiches Smile. to this day I try to stay away from a cold lunch. Sorry I don't have any recommendations I wasn't very successful in that regard. I just know if its there it will be consumed.
2010-01-20 1:01 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
divndrt - 2010-01-20 12:31 PM I think nutrition has been tough for me, I haven't been taking a lunch and of course I end up eating bad while on the run.  I don't have a lot of time to eat at work, what are some good tips/ideas to eat better on the run.  My lunch box stays in my patrol car so I have access during the day.  Anyone have good snacks they buy that are tasty yet healthy?

My daughter is a snacker and doesn't like sandwiches !! That combined with all the food allergies makes packing a lunch a challenge.  The grocery stores here seem to cater to the time-challenged sort - not sure if its the same there but here are things I put in her box - most of which you can buy in individual containers.
-single portions of cottage cheese  or yogurt
-buy a container of trail mix or nuts and eat a handful
-applesauce/fruit
-humus & flatbreads kit (spicy humus is yummy)
-pre-cut celery & baby carrots (sometimes you can get them with a little dip)
-cheese strings
-granola bars (careful on this one - some are really high in calories/fat etc)
-tuna & crackers kit

For myself I cut up a bunch of veggies at the beginning of the week and throw them in a baggy each day (carrots, celery, peppers, tomatoes etc.).  I tend to eat a lot of soup - most coffee shops sell it so - Tim Hortons drive through woo hoo! 

Good luck with it!

2010-01-20 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2623992

User image

Veteran
Central Point
kimmax - 2010-01-20 8:24 AM Geez!  We're always on page 2!

I just add this page to my bookmarks/favorites in my browser and re mark it when we get another page or to then its always handy and I don't have to go looking for it. I'm lazy.Smile

Edited by ckallpoints 2010-01-20 3:27 PM

2010-01-20 9:28 PM

User image

Once again my life took precedent over training having to put down my 16 year old dog. I did manage to do some yoga in the morning and then ride the bike, but my mind was just not in it due to the impending task my wife and I had to do. It was so sad to lose a loyal friend who trusted us until the end. R.I.P. Cleo
2010-01-21 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2625512

User image

zexx9 - 2010-01-21 3:28 AM Once again my life took precedent over training having to put down my 16 year old dog. I did manage to do some yoga in the morning and then ride the bike, but my mind was just not in it due to the impending task my wife and I had to do. It was so sad to lose a loyal friend who trusted us until the end. R.I.P. Cleo

Sorry for your loss, it must be a hard thing to do. A dog is always a close friend and family member. 
2010-01-21 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Jason,

I'm really sorry for your loss.  Sounds like you have some great memories.

2010-01-21 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2626410

I combined Scott's words to make sense of this bike speed workout. Maybe someone will find it useful.

Attachments
----------------
spin.pdf (92KB - 13 downloads)
2010-01-22 5:48 AM
in reply to: #2624188

User image

Master
TORONTO
Scottt - 2010-01-20 12:34 PM

I'm curious about what we should be focussing on first.  I've heard it's cadence - but in order to get the cadence up to some of those levels it means - for me - being in the small ring.  When outside I find switching to the smaller ring and keeping my cadence high works well for uphills and doesn't thrash my legs - then I switch in to the bigger gears for the downhills.  But on a trainer - for an hour ride - is it better to start on the middle ring and have a lower cadence and work on bringing it up?  Or find a comfortable gear where you can get to a 90-95rpm cadence and then over time gear up to the bigger rings?

Marcia,

Unless you are specifically working on POWER/STRENGTH, do whatever is necessary to keep you cadence 85-95 rpm.  During a workout, it would not be uncommon to need to shift to keep it either hard enough or easy enough to maintain that cadence.  Obviously, this is a workout and there is such a thing as "too easy".  HR would be a good gauge of intensity.  My next tip will speak specifically to Workout Intensity.

I am a *total* knob!!  All you ever read is how you have to be 90+rpm which on my trainer always seems so difficult - and when I say difficult - I'm talking heart racing, sweat pouring effort in the smallest chain ring.  I just figured I sucked and was too embarrassed to say anything.  A friend who races and sold me the trainer keeps encouraging me "You'll get better just keep the cadence up regardless of the gears" and so finally I broke down and told him, "I suck! I'm riding in the smallest gear and dying!?" to which he asks "What tension do you have it on?" "Huh?"  Too embarrassed to ask him about it I keep just mumble "Ya I'll have to check it".  TENSION??? On the TRAINER??  So this morning I inspect and I see what could be a lever but can't move or turn it.  Half way through my workout - sweat dripping, heart rate at over 170, rpm barely at 90, chain in smallest rings - I dismount and explore again and well looky here!  If I pull OUT I can TURN.  I have been riding in the toughest gear since I bought the thing.  Lowered it two settings and poof!  FLYING at 95 and cooling down.  DOH!

2010-01-22 11:55 AM

User image

Those using the BT plans do you all do the weights and core work listed. What would be the alternatives I can do at home with just dumbells. Squats I can do and I am doing step ups instead of the Leg Extension.

Period AA
Sets 1-2
Reps 12-15
Speed Slow
Recovery 1-1.5'
PLUS Core #1 - 2x

ExerciseSetsMin repsMax repsMin Wt. (kg)Max Wt. (kg)
LEGS 2 Leg Squats21215

BACK Bent-Arm Pulldown21215

LEGS Leg Press21215

BACK Seated row21215

LEGS Leg Extensions21215

LEGS Hamstring curl21215

2010-01-23 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2628216

kimmax - 2010-01-22 5:48 AM
Scottt - 2010-01-20 12:34 PM  I have been riding in the toughest gear since I bought the thing.

stop it with the bragging

;-)  :-

2010-01-23 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2630199

User image

Master
TORONTO
Bachelor Reform - 2010-01-23 8:45 AM
kimmax - 2010-01-22 5:48 AM  
I have been riding in the toughest gear since I bought the thing.

stop it with the bragging

;-)  :-

Ya right!  Just think of how much bragging I'll be able to do when I'm in the middle ring!!!

Edited by kimmax 2010-01-23 8:07 AM
2010-01-23 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2629014

In general I think theres are good dumbell or resistance band alternative to the weighted or natulis versions.

hamstring curl 'alt'
-standing leg curls
-situate a dumbell between your calves or ankles and curls(if you don't have a bench you can hang btwn 2 chairs )

pulldown 'alt'
- pull ups of wider grip variety
- if you were hanging off a cliff the ability to do a pull up trumps a pull down.

seated row 'alt'
-back extensions

leg press and squats are the same movement at a different angle?  correct me if wrong

2010-01-25 6:19 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

I'm lagging a week in the 5-in-5 - down only 1 vs. 2 - was making great progress and then went off the tracks with a couple of dinner parties and work-hosted luncheons Frown  Today's another day though and my healthy lunch is packed!!

Missed a couple of workouts last week too.   Trying not to feel too disappointed but one of them was my long run so that one is more difficult to put behind me.  It's another busy week but hoping to squeeze everything in.

Have a good healthy week all!

PS - hope your marathon went well Scott!!

2010-01-25 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Point
One of the benefits of having a lot of weight to lose is it comes off pretty quick at first 324 today -4 from last week.

Edit: Did I just say its good to be fat? Undecided

Edited by ckallpoints 2010-01-25 12:25 PM
2010-01-25 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Thanks for the inspires and encouragement...

Well, went very well.  Very tough effort, especially miles 22-26.

3:29:15        Race report here:  Carlsbad Marathon

I did qualify to Boston.

Now I just have work on being able to walk up and down steps again.

2010-01-25 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Sorry for being so quiet. Really if you knew me you would know that's not the real me.
Anyway. I'm back on track. Have a friend who's a ultra-marathoner/adventure racer who's helping me with my program - specifically to train smarter. Not just the long and slow that I did last year but more interval work.
I'm not swimming until March/April so will do 4run/2bike one week and then 4 bike/2 run the next. Will see how it goes.

Tonight I'm doing 10min warm up, then 5 mins with 3 mins acitve recovery - times 4. With a 10 min cool down.

Heading to NZ in March to take care of my Dad's ashes and will do a sprint tri while I'm down there.

Edited by alexenafi 2010-01-25 1:01 PM
2010-01-25 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2633490

User image

Well done on meeting both your goals in the marathon Scott. That is a great pace to keep. Hope you are managing the stairs a bit better today. Hope you are are taking a day or two off. 

Well  done also Marcia thats 2 lbs from last week, think positive and Craig that is some going.

After the first week of my 12 week Sprint plan, I kind of missed a few workouts between scheduling and weather. Swimming is improving and running going strong.

I feel I can speed up my cycling and improve my endurance I do feel a little tired after 20k on the bike. I think I need to work on my cadence 90 -100 rpm just does not feel natural yet so I loaded up ipod with songs at 90 - 100 b.p.m. maybe that will help me keep up my rpm without staring at the monitor and allow me to watch the road ahead of me. 

I used a free program call  MixMeister BPM analzer to send the song's speeds to itunes. 

Edited by jforrest 2010-01-25 3:52 PM
2010-01-25 6:20 PM

User image

Expert

172 this morning.

I'm in a serious lull but there are reasons, I just need to work on not having them affect my training.

I hope everyone is doing well and apologize about being so quiet. With the stuff I've got going in conjunction with having limited internet access at work I've got little time for being chatty. I hope that changes as I feel out of touch!

2010-01-26 3:45 AM

Nice to read some of use are doing very well!  

I just had a really lousy workout, ugh! I nee to take my stretching regime more seriously. Time to eat turkey meat loaf, drink glass of wine, and sleep. 

(if you so-calers go to paso robles the dark star zin is not too bad)
2010-01-26 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Realizing I need an earlier goal than June I have decided to do a 8.4 Fun Run in Auckland, NZ and a sprint triathlon in Tauranga, NZ while I'm down there.

2010-01-26 11:31 PM

User image

Well after driving my dad home (8 hrs) and then flying home I did miss my week-end work-outs except for a little yoga to stretch the old back. Today I brought my rollers and performed a 20 minute session in the living room. It is time to up the intensity a bit!!!
2010-01-27 1:59 AM
in reply to: #2635755

alexenafi - 2010-01-26 2:50 PM   You're in or you're out

Is that a Klumism?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scottt's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18