BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-01-07 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2601678

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED
zeefraugtries - 2010-01-07 6:42 PM I just have to brag a little right now....

I posted this on my logs, but basically I set a new PR at Crossfit tonight!

We had a hero WOD tonight, "Diane" (hero WOD is a benchmark workout, one we can measure against time after time for improvement) and it was supposed to be a rest day today for me, but since this workout as my very first real CF workout 8 weeks ago when I started, I wanted to see how much I had improved.

I increased my deadlift weight from 62 lbs to 83 lbs and dropped my finish time a by 12 seconds. What I'm excited about is the increase in weight and well, I know I finished faster, but I also know that I have to work on my form on my handstand pushups off the 20" box.

Now if I can only brag about a new PR for swim/bike/run.......

Thanks for listening.

Nice work! it feels good doesn't it to come so far in such a short time?? amazing what you can do when you set your mind (and body) to it!! Yahoo for you!

2010-01-07 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
zeefraugtries - 2010-01-07 8:42 PMI just have to brag a little right now....

We had a hero WOD tonight, "Diane" (hero WOD is a benchmark workout, one we can measure against time after time for improvement) and it was supposed to be a rest day today for me, but since this workout as my very first real CF workout 8 weeks ago when I started, I wanted to see how much I had improved.

I increased my deadlift weight from 62 lbs to 83 lbs and dropped my finish time a by 12 seconds. What I'm excited about is the increase in weight and well, I know I finished faster, but I also know that I have to work on my form on my handstand pushups off the 20" box.

Thanks for listening.
Brag away...that is great.....now that I understand what you did
2010-01-07 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2577385

User image

Veteran
OK downloading songs to my shuffle...any suggestions.... I like all types of music....from Rage against the Machine to Allman Brothers...to classical....to blues....and Jazz....anybody have any suggestions on classical .....I know there is some great stuff out there that would be great while working out....using my daughters laptop....she has 10,000 songs....some great stuff...and some real strange alternative music.....
2010-01-07 9:21 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Vivaldi's "Spring" would be good on the classical front I think. Personally I've been enjoying the double-disc "Return to the Valley of the Go-Gos." Yes, those Go-Gos.

I downloaded a bunch of stuff from iTunes over the holiday... I'll dig up a playlist. My daughter's contribution (she's 9) that's actually a lot of fun: the Vinyl Shakerz French XXL remix of One Night in Bangkok.
2010-01-08 4:51 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Was talking to my trainer last night about crossfit.  It sounded interesting. I know some of you use it.  Can you tell me a little about it?

2010-01-08 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
zeefraugtries - 2010-01-07 7:42 PM I just have to brag a little right now....

Thanks for listening.

Sharon,

That's FANTASTIC!  To improve that much on such an important lift is just great. Congratulations!!

2010-01-08 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
So-what's everyone up to for the weekend??
2010-01-08 3:23 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
10 miles on Saturday (longest I've ever run except the half, but the 9 last week went well) and the first class for my heart-rate-based half-century bike training program on Sunday (indoors on spinning bikes). The instructor is good - I'm looking forward to it, and will be nice to be inside after shuffling through the snow on Saturday I expect. Others?
2010-01-08 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Going to shoot for 1200 swim maybe tonight still...we will see if I make it to the Gym...then bike 1 hour  at least tomorrow inside on the Expresso bike...... going for the long trail run Sunday supposed to get up to a balmy 35, need to get mileage in for 1/2 marathon in May...shoot for 7 miles Sunday.......

I was having doubtful thoughts about all this before I went to bed last night...negative..."why am I doing this and all" ....way to deep....have to stop thinking.....be like Forest Gump and just do it......
2010-01-08 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey ....what do all you northerners know about putting screws in you sneakers for running on snow and ice...I have a trail run at the end of the month ...and heard that people put screws instead of YakTraks...anybody heard about this.... I have a few screws loose in my head I can use.....
2010-01-08 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2603938

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
bfwhitt - 2010-01-08 10:49 PM Going to shoot for 1200 swim maybe tonight still...we will see if I make it to the Gym...then bike 1 hour  at least tomorrow inside on the Expresso bike...... going for the long trail run Sunday supposed to get up to a balmy 35, need to get mileage in for 1/2 marathon in May...shoot for 7 miles Sunday.......

I was having doubtful thoughts about all this before I went to bed last night...negative..."why am I doing this and all" ....way to deep....have to stop thinking.....be like Forest Gump and just do it......

Its normal to have negative thoughts at times especially when the time of year makes training hard and you feel like you are not doing enough. Last 2 days have been frustrating for myself with lack of training. plenty of time still for the half marathon. enjoy the run sunday

2010-01-08 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2602208

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
jogo - 2010-01-08 4:51 AM

Was talking to my trainer last night about crossfit.  It sounded interesting. I know some of you use it.  Can you tell me a little about it?

I'm your Crossfit gal! I got into it 8 weeks ago to try to get back to working out. You can go back to my logs and read about my experiences indepth.

This is from the Crossfit Journal:

CrossFit is a core strength and conditioning program. We have designed our program to elicit as broad an adaptational response as possible. CrossFit is not a specialized fitness program but a deliberate attempt to optimize physical competence in each of ten recognized fitness domains. They are Cardiovascular and Respiratory endurance, Stamina, Strength, Flexibility, Power, Speed, Coordination, Agility, Balance, and Accuracy.

The CrossFit Program was developed to enhance an individual’s competency at all physical tasks. Our athletes are trained to perform successfully at multiple, diverse, and randomized physical challenges.

That is a definition of what the program is. Each affiliate gym is different because of the coaches and what they are certified in. Our gym is small and basically we start with a general warmup, then there is a strength component that usually comprises of practicing our Olympic lifting moves like deadlifts, cleans and snatches. Then we move onto the WOD (Work Out of the Day)...that usually lasts between 5-15 minutes. 

I've been crossfitting for 8 weeks and I have seen definite strength gains. I have not seen any gains in speed like running but that's because I haven't been doing any speed work. There are other branches of Crossfit like Crossfit Endurance where they focus on speed drills for swim/bike/run...and I hear it's very effective. 

I know people who have seen improvements in other areas just by doing crossfit. I may not be running 9 min miles,  but I do feel like my running endurance, even though it's not fast, has to be helped by the fact that I'm a lot stronger in my arms and legs. 

There are lots of websites out there about Crossfit. You can just google it or just ask me more questions.

I am a believer in Crossfit and I do enjoy it.  

2010-01-08 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2603938

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
bfwhitt - 2010-01-08 4:49 PM Going to shoot for 1200 swim maybe tonight still...we will see if I make it to the Gym...then bike 1 hour  at least tomorrow inside on the Expresso bike...... going for the long trail run Sunday supposed to get up to a balmy 35, need to get mileage in for 1/2 marathon in May...shoot for 7 miles Sunday.......

We're all there with you.

Frankly, I have thoughts like that a lot. I think it's just the competitive side in all of us and it's how we strive to be better and at times, it just gets a bit overwhelming and doubt settles in. We just need to remember that we do this for health and to make ourselves better. I get way competitive and sometimes I let it get in the way and I beat myself up for not doing better or being stronger. That's why it's good to be part of a community like this because we need each other and we need encouragement.

I appreciate all of you for being here.

Have a great day tomorrow!!!!
2010-01-08 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
If life works out and pipes stay unfrozen, then the plan is to go to the gym and do a bike/run/swim at the gym. Today was a real doozy and right now I need to decompress. But hopefully tomorrow will be a more normal day. I also need to take my car in for a service as well.

Temps are supposed to be in the low teens again and well, I'm leaving the pipes open and hopefully things will be better tomorrow.

2010-01-09 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Z-thanks for the crossfit info.  It sounds interesting.  I will talk to my trainer more about it.

My goal for the weekend, move my body.  My trainer is calling me so I will bike this weekend.  I would like to say I would run but I am not sure what kind of shape I am in so it will be a run/walk of some sort at some time.  My big goal is to evaluate and come up with a training plan.

Daughter's surgery is on Monday.  I am very nervous. I have never had a surgery and none of my kids have never had a surgery where they keep you overnight (they've had wisdom teeth and stuff like that).  I am going to be a wreck.  You would think being an advanced practice nurse for 23 years would make this easier, it just makes you more aware of all that could happen.  I watched a Grey's Anatomy marathon last night and that was the WRONG thing to do, in a wine drinking state where I could not rationalize as well as I normally would.  Please forgive my breakdowns the next couple of days.  Thank you to everyone.  You guys have been so so supportive and I love getting the inspires.  I promise when life settles, you will all be inspired back. 

2010-01-09 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2604727

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
jogo - 2010-01-09 4:01 PM

Z-thanks for the crossfit info.  It sounds interesting.  I will talk to my trainer more about it.

My goal for the weekend, move my body.  My trainer is calling me so I will bike this weekend.  I would like to say I would run but I am not sure what kind of shape I am in so it will be a run/walk of some sort at some time.  My big goal is to evaluate and come up with a training plan.

Daughter's surgery is on Monday.  I am very nervous. I have never had a surgery and none of my kids have never had a surgery where they keep you overnight (they've had wisdom teeth and stuff like that).  I am going to be a wreck.  You would think being an advanced practice nurse for 23 years would make this easier, it just makes you more aware of all that could happen.  I watched a Grey's Anatomy marathon last night and that was the WRONG thing to do, in a wine drinking state where I could not rationalize as well as I normally would.  Please forgive my breakdowns the next couple of days.  Thank you to everyone.  You guys have been so so supportive and I love getting the inspires.  I promise when life settles, you will all be inspired back. 

Your are right we are all here to support you and help you through the next few days. Dont worry about letting the heart out its your child having an op I would be the same if it were one of my girls. Its natural to be nervous. How is your daughter coping with it all. Is she taking it in her stride or a copy of her mother.

all the best for monday

Biking is great for a bit of stress relief especially if it is across some beautiful countryside. you will be able to escape for a short time. Enjoy it

2010-01-09 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2604154

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
zeefraugtries - 2010-01-08 6:32 PM
bfwhitt - 2010-01-08 4:49 PM Going to shoot for 1200 swim maybe tonight still...we will see if I make it to the Gym...then bike 1 hour  at least tomorrow inside on the Expresso bike...... going for the long trail run Sunday supposed to get up to a balmy 35, need to get mileage in for 1/2 marathon in May...shoot for 7 miles Sunday.......

We're all there with you.

Frankly, I have thoughts like that a lot. I think it's just the competitive side in all of us and it's how we strive to be better and at times, it just gets a bit overwhelming and doubt settles in. We just need to remember that we do this for health and to make ourselves better. I get way competitive and sometimes I let it get in the way and I beat myself up for not doing better or being stronger. That's why it's good to be part of a community like this because we need each other and we need encouragement.

I appreciate all of you for being here.

Have a great day tomorrow!!!!

Yep! I second that! It is really good to have a community here that understand and support the endeavors. Most people not involved in this, look at you like you are an idiot for spending the time training and obsessing over the training/racing/researching that we do. We all have doubtful days, but overall I bet you are feeling good about what you are accomplishing and aspiring to accomplish this year and beyond. Keep up the good work and know that this group is behind you!
Have a good weekend all!
2010-01-09 4:42 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Hi kids.  Was on the road 14 hours yesterday.  Last 4 hours in some sloppy conditions.  Needed to work a little to get the house back under control.  Yikes.  The BIL was dog sitting or the dogs were sitting him.  I guess number one dog got sick and puked and pooped all over.  So we were washing and scrubbing all kinds a things. 

Gotta take some time and get caught. 

Tomorrow I need a weight.  Yikes.  I'm a little afraid myself.   Grandma Shirley cooks well and likes to feed us all kinds of things. 

BE careful on the t-mills I ran off the right side watching the Jets run down the right side line. 
2010-01-09 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2604727

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
jogo - 2010-01-09 10:01 AM

Don't you worry about us. Take care of yourself, your family and your precious daughter. All will be fine here when you get back.

Thoughts and prayers go out for this next week especially for Monday for surgery. It's never easy going into surgery, especially when you're a mom, no matter how much experience you have in the medical field...perhaps even worse (as you're experiencing) because you know more!!

BTW...I LOVE Grey's Anatomy!!!!

2010-01-09 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

ok, so I am working on getting my head out of my a$$.  I chose my training plans to begin next Monday.  Jan. 18 would be 20 weeks before my 1st tri and with the surgery and flying off to Florida on Thursday to Sunday for a work meeting, I would be good with that one.  I chose the 3x/week balanced 20 week sprint.  I know I will only swim 2x/week so I will exchange a run so it will be a 2-3-4 plan for me.  After that my olympic, my A race, is 9 weeks later so I chose the 8 week balanced lifestyle which is actually a 9 week plan.  I am excited now.  I will move my body every day this week to get ready to start training.  Woo Hoo!!! 

2010-01-09 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Sorry team...had planned for a gym workout today, but life got in the way.

The plan is to do the workout tomorrow.

No worries...pipes did not freeze again, however, didn't sleep much last night due to prepping the house for the cold temps. Temps were down to 15 degrees, which we are not prepared for in the South. No hot water today until after 3 p.m. The previous owner thought he was a home builder, which he is not (he replaced the electrical and plumbing himself without a permit, something we found out AFTER we bought the house).....and we have a tankless water heater which does not do well in cold weather.....thus, the issues today and probably until well into next week as we are to go into the teens every night until Tuesday or so. And how many more weeks of winter do we have left?

We love our house....it's our dream house, but we've already had to redo the electrical this summer, replace a gate and replace the furnace this year....and everything was done by this wiseguy before we bought it a year ago.

Hey...at least the pipes are okay...for now...he redid the plumbing too!!!!! Oy vey!!!!!!!!!

2010-01-09 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2605229

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
jogo - 2010-01-09 5:09 PM

ok, so I am working on getting my head out of my a$$.  I chose my training plans to begin next Monday.  Jan. 18 would be 20 weeks before my 1st tri and with the surgery and flying off to Florida on Thursday to Sunday for a work meeting, I would be good with that one.  I chose the 3x/week balanced 20 week sprint.  I know I will only swim 2x/week so I will exchange a run so it will be a 2-3-4 plan for me.  After that my olympic, my A race, is 9 weeks later so I chose the 8 week balanced lifestyle which is actually a 9 week plan.  I am excited now.  I will move my body every day this week to get ready to start training.  Woo Hoo!!! 

Great job!!!! Isn't it great to know what your training plan is? I still have to figure out my tri training plan.

Sounds like you're in a good place, got your plan together, got your mojo up and running again...it's going to be a great week!!!!!!!!

Woo hoo back at ya!!!! Double woo hoo!!!!
2010-01-10 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Weight is posted in my log.  I am surprised I lost anything.  I have done a lot of emotional eating since Tuesday when my trainer told me that I didn't have to give up red wine to be clean and healthy.  Red wine is a trigger for me to eat, especially at night.  I went home Tuesday, poured myself a glass of wine, and that started my resolution downfall.  Resolutions are meant to break and restart but at least they get me thinking about the changes that I could make to be healthier.  I will try to eat healthier this week.  Its already off to a good start.  I am going to go move my fat butt now.  I'll check back in later.  Happy Sunday Everyone and Happy Training today!!!

2010-01-10 9:25 AM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Great job, Jo! With everything going on, that's especially impressive. 204.4 for me (down about 4), reminds me to go post in my log.

Edited by HNewman 2010-01-10 9:28 AM
2010-01-10 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
You nailed it Jo.  The important thing is to stop the backslide early and get back on plan.  Two steps forward and one step back will still get you where you want to go. 

Seems to me your introspective look at what caused the bump in the diet says a lot about you.  It would be so easy to tell yourself, "I failed, I can't do this."  Taking the time and having the courage to look at why we failed at something, making a change to the plan, and executing that plan is how people succeed.  You've got this.  I have no doubt you've got this!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19