BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group-2010 Vintage CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2010-07-12 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2577496

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group-2010 Vintage CLOSED
My first race, this Saturday.  It is a short race, I am really just wanting to practice the transitions from swim to bike and bike to run.  I am gonna take it somewhat easy, the last thing I want is to get hurt this far into my IM training.  My swim is only 500 yds.  Should be a quick swim, and it is warm, so no wetsuit, just tri-shorts.  Let us know how your race goes.

2010-07-13 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2975133

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
discipleguideservice - 2010-07-12 9:24 AM My first race, this Saturday.  It is a short race, I am really just wanting to practice the transitions from swim to bike and bike to run.  I am gonna take it somewhat easy, the last thing I want is to get hurt this far into my IM training.  My swim is only 500 yds.  Should be a quick swim, and it is warm, so no wetsuit, just tri-shorts.  Let us know how your race goes.

I will.  You too. I curious to read your impressions on your first one.
2010-07-15 7:05 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Good luck both of you on the races this weekend! 
2010-07-17 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Just woke up from a little knap after my first race.  Not used to getting up at 4:30 am.  Placed 60th out of 170 (9 out of 18 in my age group).  Did the sprint race (800yds/12m/5k) in 1:20:17  Not so fast, but a great experience. I learned a lot, now on to the IMKY.
2010-07-18 12:11 AM
in reply to: #2987235

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
discipleguideservice - 2010-07-17 2:23 PM Just woke up from a little knap after my first race.  Not used to getting up at 4:30 am.  Placed 60th out of 170 (9 out of 18 in my age group).  Did the sprint race (800yds/12m/5k) in 1:20:17  Not so fast, but a great experience. I learned a lot, now on to the IMKY.

Sounds like a decent time actually.  My race was (400yds/11m/5k) and I finished 1:04:35.  It was a good race overall for me.
2010-07-18 6:12 AM
in reply to: #2987668

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
FYI... regarding my race.  I thought I'd share some things that I used which I've practiced in training and helped a lot.

1. I used bilateral breathing and sighting during my swim which gave me more flexibility and confidence in the water.
2. I rode my bike and ran without socks.  I didn't have to deal with socks in transition.
3. I left my cycling shoes clipped in and just slipped into them after gettign going on the bike and then slipped out of them before jumping off the bike.  My transition times have improved significantly with this and also going sockless.
5. I forced my cadence up on the run off the bike.  This seems to have helped get me going faster and keep the pace up on the run
6.  I almost forgot, I also used Yankz shoe laces on my running shoes to allow me to just slip on the shoes without having to tie them.

I have to say that this was my best race so far.  I was very happy with how I did and feels like my training is paying off.  I also noticed that my transitions were very fast compared to others who entered the T areas before or at the same time as me.  Although I don't have an exact timing, I'm sure that my transitions were between 30 seconds and 1 minute. 

Enrique

Edited by ecpasos 2010-07-18 6:13 AM

2010-07-18 6:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
My first transition was 1:52 and my second transition was 1:12.  I am sure I can make that a lot quicker in my next sprint, although for the IronMan race I am doing, I think I will actually take a little longer.  Of course 3 1/2 minutes means alot in a sprint, but not so much in a 15 hour IM.   I can't imagine riding 112 or running 26 w/out socks.  In fact I plan to change socks after the ride before the run just to make sure they are completely dry again to avoid blisters.  As for the bike shoes, I think personally I can clip in faster than trying to put my feet into the shoes on the peddles because they tend to turn upside down.  I am sure that everyone has a style that works for them.  Glad your race went well. I am happy with my race, and I believe that next summer that distance may be what I do mostly.  As for this year... 6 weeks to IMKY.
2010-07-18 10:35 PM
in reply to: #2988424

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Yeah, I'm sure an IM distance requires different needs such as socks and a much different nutrition plan.  Stuff I won't need to think about for a while still.   

Wow, 6 weeks to the IM?  That is coming up fast.  Very exciting!

2010-07-19 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2987738

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
ecpasos - 2010-07-18 6:12 AM FYI... regarding my race.  I thought I'd share some things that I used which I've practiced in training and helped a lot.

1. I used bilateral breathing and sighting during my swim which gave me more flexibility and confidence in the water.

It's good to have this option.  I practice breathing on both sides and usually breathe bilaterally during the race as well. 

2. I rode my bike and ran without socks.  I didn't have to deal with socks in transition.

True.  I can ride without socks, but the couple of times I tried running without them, I got some nasty blisters.  A few seconds in transition is << than a hobbled run. 

3. I left my cycling shoes clipped in and just slipped into them after gettign going on the bike and then slipped out of them before jumping off the bike.  My transition times have improved significantly with this and also going sockless.

M-dot events don't allow AG'ers to do this (only the pro's can start with shoes already clipped into the bike).  It CAN be faster, but doesn't always work that way.  Practice a lot ahead of time if you're going to do this.  A couple of cautions with this:  If the pavement is hot, don't try to run barefoot before/after the bike (especially important after the bike).  Also, coming back in, you can slip your feet out of the shoes and pedal "on top" of your shoes.  But...you must be careful...it'll cost you more time if you lose a shoe coming in than if you simply ride in regularly...sometimes a volunteer will pick up a detatched shoe and reunite it with the bike, but it isn't guaranteed.  (Leaving the shoe on the ground can be a penalty or cause another athlete to crash, so don't consider it an option.

5. I forced my cadence up on the run off the bike.  This seems to have helped get me going faster and keep the pace up on the run
6.  I almost forgot, I also used Yankz shoe laces on my running shoes to allow me to just slip on the shoes without having to tie them.

I have to say that this was my best race so far.  I was very happy with how I did and feels like my training is paying off.  I also noticed that my transitions were very fast compared to others who entered the T areas before or at the same time as me.  Although I don't have an exact timing, I'm sure that my transitions were between 30 seconds and 1 minute. 

Enrique
2010-07-20 12:42 AM
in reply to: #2989508

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
McFuzz - 2010-07-19 7:47 AM M-dot events don't allow AG'ers to do this (only the pro's can start with shoes already clipped into the bike).  It CAN be faster, but doesn't always work that way.  Practice a lot ahead of time if you're going to do this.  A couple of cautions with this:  If the pavement is hot, don't try to run barefoot before/after the bike (especially important after the bike).  Also, coming back in, you can slip your feet out of the shoes and pedal "on top" of your shoes.  But...you must be careful...it'll cost you more time if you lose a shoe coming in than if you simply ride in regularly...sometimes a volunteer will pick up a detatched shoe and reunite it with the bike, but it isn't guaranteed.  (Leaving the shoe on the ground can be a penalty or cause another athlete to crash, so don't consider it an option.

I didn't know this about M-dot events.  Good information.
2010-07-23 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2991593

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I'm thinking about getting some aero bars for my roadie.  I probably wouldn't buy them until after this season is over, but just thinking ahead.  I've been getting faster on the bike without them, but I'm sure I'll hit some plateau at some point.  That's when I'll probably decide to get them. 

Do you any of you have your bikes equipped with some? Any advice is appreciated.

I've read that the shorter ones, like Profile Design Jammers are the way to go with road bikes, but I'm not sure.  I was thinking of getting some from REI since their return policy is so incredibly awesome.  (I returned a Polar HRM watch 6 months after fully using it.  They gave me full credit to buy a Garmin)

2010-07-23 7:43 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
I Ebay'd a Profile Design "Century" bar and put it on my old road bike back in 2006.  I liked the loop as it gave me a number of different hand positions, and I like the aerobars for long, leisurely rides because it takes a lot of pressure off your hands. 

Since you probably aren't going to change out the shifters to bar-end, you can use either regular or looped (like the Century) aerobars. 

I've got some Oval Concepts "jammer" bars on my Javelin road bike and they aren't nearly as comfortable as the Century bars were.  They're similar in that the bends give you something pretty close to a loop, but I have a hard time getting comfortable in them.  They had different spacers and mounting options and I haven't played with them to see if I can tweak them and make them more comfortable. 
2010-07-26 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3001368

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I saw some Century bars on ebay the other day for very little cost.  I may go with something like that.  Thanks for your perspective.
2010-08-04 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Last year I was sitting on couch with my wife watching one of our favorite TV shows, Biggest Loser.  It was a special edition called "Where are They Now?"  In 2005 Matt Hoover won the show, then gained a bunch of weight back and then decided to an Ironman as part of the journey to loose all the weight for a second time.  As I was watching, I said to myself,  If that guy could do an IM, I could do it. 

So as I was stuffing my fat  face at christmas dinner I announced to my wife that I was going to do an IM in the comming year.  Of course I was overweight and out of shape so she just told me "sure thing dear, go for it (lol)"  but once I made a commitment to myself and actually purchased a gym membership, I was 10 toes in. 

I did not know where to even start, so I started to search online, and of course that is how I found beginnertriathlete.  Not so sure how it could help me, I started searching for online coaching, and that is when I found the mentoring program.  I asked Mike to join the group so that I could not just back out.  With no-one to be accountable to but myself, I know I would have just quit within a couple of months.

As I started training, I listened to the advice of Mike who has done it himself, and I trusted him.  "I am not a coach" He told me more than once, but if I just stuck to the plan that I would make it.  Of course in the beginning I showered him with dumb questions, and he graciously and patiently answered ever single question.  Some questions he answered with questions of his own, but of course part of the journey to such a monumental task as IM is answering the question in your own mind, "Why do I want to do this".

I sort of figured out that it was a combination of things in my life.  I was 37 years old 6' tall and tipped scales close to 200 lbs.  I was fat, lazy and out of shape.  I never knew what a beer gut I had until recently I saw some photos of myself last summer (wow! I was turning into my dad).  I knew I wanted to get into better physical condition, and I also wanted to add something big and unique to my bucket list.  I figured this one time event would fit the bill.... little did I know how this journey would change the landscape of my life.

Funny thing about the human body, it craves what you give it.  Give it ice cream it just wants more ice cream.  Give it vegetables and excercise, befor long, twinkys make you sick, and you can't wait to get back on your bicycle after work.  This journey has change me not only physically, but mentally as well.

After 8 months of hard (and I do mean hard) traing ( as much as 18 hour per week) my race weight looks to be 180.  May seem a little large for a triathlete, but I am 6' tall and have pretty wide shoulders.  I have dropped 3 inches off my waist, and gained two inches around my arms.  My best friend just told me that the biggest change he can see is in my shoulders.  I have ripped muscles I did not know my body had.  I knew professional swimmers looked like this, but did not think it was possible for me to look like a real athlete.  I am no body builder, but let's just say that some guy in a bar might think twice about picking a fight with me now.

Contrary to my original plans, this journey does not end with IMKY at the end of August.  Quite the opposite... this is just the beginning for me.  I have found a life long passion, and next year my wife plans to join me.  So I just thought I would take a minute to publicly thank Mike for all the time he has spent mentoring me as a beginning triathlete.  I could not have done it without you Mike, you have helped to change my life, and for that I remain eternally greatful.

I know the 2010 race season is quickly comming to and end, and I can only hope that those who have inspired me to be all I can be continue to be my inspiration and friends for many years to come.

Josh
[email protected]
(260) 243-1001

Thanks also to Enrique, and especially Laura for all you inspiring messages over the past 6 months.  Please find me on Facebook by me email address [email protected]
2010-08-05 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3024365

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Thanks for sharing this Josh.  I find it amazing that in a relatively short period of time you've gone from no training and a beer gut to participating in an Ironman!!  It's an honor to be associated with someone like you.  I am inspired myself. 

I'm glad to hear you're looking at this as a long term endeavor. I'm of the same mind.  I'll be rooting for you on race day.  It will be tough, but I'm sure you'll make it!!

Best,

Enrique

PS> I'll add you on FB when I next log in.  You're the first fisherman/hunter friend I have

2010-08-06 6:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Josh- Congratulations on your journey!

I like you watched that very same show last year about Novemberish? I was pondering IM b/c a tri/running friend was in for IMFL. So randonmly on a Saturday afternoon I happened to be indoors doing nothing (weird), watching TV (even weirder), and came across the Ironman Hawaii championships. Watching the various people and what they overcame to complete Ironman I decided that day I would do it.  It just so happened that there was one in my town (Sandusky) at Cedarpoint (big amusement park), so I didn't have to go far. 

Now I had been in pretty good shape:5 marathons, 1 50K, 1 50mi, and many half mary's I knew if I wanted to do it I could. It was really hard to convince my husband that it was a good idea (mainly financial but also it was an ironman).  So before I signed up in February. I started training. No bike, couldn't swim, and even my running was terrible (hip problems).  We went to St. Maarten the first 2 weeks of January.  While there I biked for an hour everyday in the workout room and swam at least 20min a day.  I ordered a wetsuit, and got on BT.  Having no idea how to train I (THANKFULLY) found Mike and he really has helped me tremendously along the way.  I couldn't do it w/out his knowledge and help. 

Josh, Enrique, and Wally- It brightens my day when I see the awesome inspires you leave.  There is a sense of commraderie (sp?), even if it is over the internet.

Over the last few months and many hours of training I am coming into the home stretch of this endevour.  There are days I love it, and there are days I think "what the hell am I doing?"  But overall it has been a great learning experience.  I don't know what my future tri goals are but I'm sure that it won't stop w/ two races.  Thanks again to all who post here!  One day I hope we can all meet up.  Maybe at a race?

2010-08-09 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3026815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Good post Laura.  Thanks for sharing too.  It's so interesting to hear how people just make a decision and then do it.  It is truly AMAZING what you are doing!!  I'll be rooting for you from California on race day!! 

Personally, I actually can't remember when I made the decision to do a tri.  I wish I could, but actually for me it wasn't a big decision, but more of a next step after all the running and biking I've been doing over the years.  It wasn't until later that doing an Ironman "someday" became a goal (probably 2 yrs from now).  I think I saw the 2009 Kona Ironman replay and got excited about it.

What really motivates me and pulls on  the old heart strings is the idea that my kids are influenced by all of the achievements I make (marathon, triathlon, etc).  I like to think that I'm setting a bar for them to try to go over.  That gets me going and many times keeps me going.  

I just did a kids triathlon with my oldest (7 year old) on Sunday.  What a blast that was.  

Anyway, Josh/Laura best of luck on the upcoming big events.  I also hope along with Laura that someday we'll wind up at the same event.  There aren't any Full Ironman events in California so I need to travel somewhere to get in one. I'm open to locations.   Although my wife is partial to tropical locales.

2010-08-09 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
I say we all meet up to race at Kona in two years?  Any takers?  That means you too Mike.
2010-08-10 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3033421

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
discipleguideservice - 2010-08-09 9:11 PM I say we all meet up to race at Kona in two years?  Any takers?  That means you too Mike.

Unlikely.  Check out PennState's thread.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=221415&start=1

2010-08-10 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3033842

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
How about Ironman Cozumel? Side note: I actually lived in that area for about a year. It is really beautiful.

Edited by ecpasos 2010-08-10 10:15 AM
2010-08-13 4:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
i second ironman cozumel... I was actually thinking that as well! 

2010-08-14 7:09 AM
in reply to: #3041384

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
That would be great you guys, unfortunately I can't run such a big race that time of year.  From Oct-Nov I am working too much out of town to train.  My racing all has to be done befor Oct.  Let me know if you guys all decide to do something earlier in the year.  JK
2010-08-14 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3043479

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
How about Vineman in July? Mike's already planning that one.
2010-08-14 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3043711

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
I can do that, you guys let me know.  I have another friend from NE Indiana that may be in for that one also.  I think there is special pricing ... like 3 for 2.  If we could get six that might work out great.
JK
2010-08-14 8:18 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Josh's bib number for IMKY is 1730! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group-2010 Vintage CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11