Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-03-05 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2578417

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: sbreaux's group CLOSED!!!
uh....sorry! Everytime I submitted it gave me an error. Whoops!

2010-03-05 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
2010-03-05 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Scott - Thanks for the article. . . Very useful!  I'm still trying to figure out my training since I'm mostly run-focused right now and just doing the bare minimum w/low intensity on the bike (not swimming at all; I'm saving that for recovery after the marathon).  Those are all good points to think about once I start focusing on HIM training!

David - Go for it!  It'll be a good indicator of your improvement when you do your main race 2 months later!  Plus you'll know what to expect with race logistics/transitions when you do your A race!
2010-03-05 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
OK....I bit the bulllet! I am now signed up for the Ballantyne Tri in July! This should help me get over the "what the hell am I doing" look prior to my "A" race in Sept!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice!
David
2010-03-07 7:03 PM

User image

New user

Those are great points regarding intensity and volume. 

Last time I trained for the marathon I only thought about volume.  It was fine because I had never run more than an hour before so I needed to prove to myself that I could run for 10, 15, 20 and finally 26.2 miles.

This time however, I've spent some time (once a week) really focusing on speed, doing intervals.  What I've found is that i've taken almost 2 minutes per mile off my pace.  I feel like I'm actually running now rather than shuffling.

I'll need to try to do the same when I start to get serious about the bike in a couple weeks.

I'm assuming that bike intervals should probably work the same way as my run ones.

I know the weather here has finally dried up a bit and it looks like the rest of the country was nice.  I hope everyone had a nice weekend with some good workouts in it.
2010-03-08 2:39 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Thanks Scott, it's a really interesting article - I have a HR monitor but haven't set it up yet, I really must. I too have found that doing running intervals has helped with my speed and I've now joined a swim squad and am hoping that it'll do the same for my deplorable swimming. I plan to get some DVDs and work on my bike trainer to improve my cycling speed over the winter. It's just turned into Autumn here but you'd never guess, still very hot.David, well done on signing up for the tri. I agree that it will really boost your confidence for your main event.Daisyx

2010-03-10 3:49 PM

User image

Aurora, CO
OK...it is now official.  I sent in my entry form w/ check today for the Metro Brokers Triathlon to be held on June 4th (three days after my 43 birthday).  Now I am committed to try something that I truly never thought I would ever be able to do. 

Unfortunatly my partner of 17+ years is scheduled to be out of town that weekend, so I will be going at this Triathlon alone.  Not really sure how I feel about that ~ A little scared I guess, but still excited at the same time and very glad to have my BT friends behind me.Smile

Randy
2010-03-10 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2719434

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Congrats Randy, you'll do great. 

2010-03-10 10:47 PM

User image

Expert
scooter4867 - 2010-03-10 3:49 PM OK...it is now official.  I sent in my entry form w/ check today for the Metro Brokers Triathlon to be held on June 4th (three days after my 43 birthday).  Now I am committed to try something that I truly never thought I would ever be able to do. 

Unfortunatly my partner of 17+ years is scheduled to be out of town that weekend, so I will be going at this Triathlon alone.  Not really sure how I feel about that ~ A little scared I guess, but still excited at the same time and very glad to have my BT friends behind me.Smile

Randy

Yay, congrats!!  You'll do great.  Can't wait to hear how it goes
2010-03-11 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
The hard part is over...you signed up (big step for me too)!
Congratulations Randy you are going to do Awesome!
2010-03-11 9:26 AM

User image

New user

Great stuff Randy.  Now it's all about having fun.

2010-03-12 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Ok, guys. . . I've been trying to figure out the rest of my racing season.  So I'm currently training for my first marathon on April 24.  I'd originally planned to do my first half ironman on July 18th (with a sprint & an olympic in May & June respectively just for fun).  Then I found out my cousin's getting married the day before my race, and it looks like I won't be able to do that race.  So instead I'll do one on July 31st, which is two weeks later.

Now, I've been contemplating doing the Chicago marathon.  That's Oct 10.  Do you think that's too much?  That's a little over 2 months after my HIM.  My marathon training has been going fine so far, and a bunch for my friends from my training program have already decided to do Chicago (though they've all already done marathons before, and they're not planning any HIMs).  But 2 of my sisters are doing Chicago, so it'd be fun to do it with them.  And it's hard to resist since the date of the race is 10.10.10.  I don't know if all that will be overly ambitious, but I don't want to miss out on registration because it's filling up fast
2010-03-12 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2723562

User image

Aurora, CO
Sounds like a lot to me.  But what do I know ~ 3 Sprints in one year sounds like a lot to me.  All I can say is that you do what you feel is right and what is going to make you happy.  Life is short, so enjoy it to it's fullest.  Good Luck Laughing
2010-03-12 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2723685

User image

Expert
scooter4867 - 2010-03-12 4:12 PM Sounds like a lot to me.  But what do I know ~ 3 Sprints in one year sounds like a lot to me.  All I can say is that you do what you feel is right and what is going to make you happy.  Life is short, so enjoy it to it's fullest.  Good Luck Laughing

Thanks Randy!  I'm just trying to figure out if I'll be burned out by the end of the summer! 

Last year, I did a sprint in May, an oly in June and 2 in August. . . Then a half marathon in Sept and another one in November.   So really, I'm just trading in the two August Oly's for an HIM and the 2 half marathons for a full (the May sprint & the June Oly are the same races I'm planning on doing again this year).  And adding a spring marathon.  Hrmmmmm.

Geez, typing that out does sound a little crazy.  I'm definitely going to have to mull it over. Tongue out

But if anything, I could ditch the shorter races and only do the 2 marathons and the HIM.  The main reason I want to do them because my friends are.  I could just as well volunteer instead of racing.  But I kind of want to do them to get in the practice of packing for the race and doing the transitions under race conditions. . .

Oy, I keep going back and forth about everything!
2010-03-12 5:11 PM

User image

New user

Does Chicago sell out?

If not, I'd probably not commit to it until after the HIM once you see how you're going to be feeling.
2010-03-12 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2723816

User image

Expert
miguelthai - 2010-03-12 5:11 PM Does Chicago sell out?

If not, I'd probably not commit to it until after the HIM once you see how you're going to be feeling.

Yeah, it usually sells out by April or may, but people are saying it'll sell out sooner this year since it's on 10.10.10.  I would have wanted to wait until at least after my first marathon, but people are telling me to do it sooner rather than later if I'm even considering it.

I may just register for it and then decide later whether I will do it.  Unless I convince myself not to do it, in which case I'd save myself $135!

2010-03-12 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2723562

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
yogachic - 2010-03-12 2:18 PM Ok, guys. . . I've been trying to figure out the rest of my racing season.  So I'm currently training for my first marathon on April 24.  I'd originally planned to do my first half ironman on July 18th (with a sprint & an olympic in May & June respectively just for fun).  Then I found out my cousin's getting married the day before my race, and it looks like I won't be able to do that race.  So instead I'll do one on July 31st, which is two weeks later.

Now, I've been contemplating doing the Chicago marathon.  That's Oct 10.  Do you think that's too much?  That's a little over 2 months after my HIM.  My marathon training has been going fine so far, and a bunch for my friends from my training program have already decided to do Chicago (though they've all already done marathons before, and they're not planning any HIMs).  But 2 of my sisters are doing Chicago, so it'd be fun to do it with them.  And it's hard to resist since the date of the race is 10.10.10.  I don't know if all that will be overly ambitious, but I don't want to miss out on registration because it's filling up fast

The only I see is timing.  You will probably need a few days to recover from your HIM.  That leaves you maybe 7-8 weeks until your marathon.  With roughly three weeks of taper, that doesn' give you a lot of time to increase your run mileage from your probable long run during HIM training of 11-14 miles to a decent marathon long run of 17-20 miles.  Just something to think about.   You could probably do a 15, 17, 20 mile three week build after your HIM, then taper, but you're likely not to be at your best for Chicago.  
2010-03-12 10:59 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
I think you will be gutted if you don't do it, even if you won't be at your best.  Especially as your sisters and friends are - they'll be talking about it for so long and it'll be tough on you if you've missed out.  If it sells out fast, will there be a wait list?  Then if you just don't feel up to it, you could pull out, let someone else have your slot and volunteer.  
2010-03-15 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the input guys.  I really think I'd feel bad missing out if I don't do the race, so I think I'll register and train for it, knowing that I may not be at my peak for it.  A lot of the people I'm training with now are doing the summer marathon program, and if they follow the same schedule they're following now, I think I should be able to mesh the HIM and marathon training together.

Maybe this weekend I'll mess around with trying to figure out a training plan and see what's feasable.
2010-03-23 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
The Chicago Marathon just sold out today!  I'm so glad I freaked out last week and registered.  Even if I'm not my best for the race, at least I have the option of doing it if I want.  Whew!!

How's everyone's training going?
2010-03-23 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2743702

User image

New user

yogachic - 2010-03-23 2:36 PM The Chicago Marathon just sold out today!  I'm so glad I freaked out last week and registered.  Even if I'm not my best for the race, at least I have the option of doing it if I want.  Whew!!

That's great you got signed up.  You can always back out later if need be (but hopefully not).

Training for me is going well except I completely bonked during the race this last weekend.  I don't know what happened but at mile 12 I was tired and started walking and could never get it together after that.  I did finish, but it just wasn't how I wanted it or expected it to happen.

I'd love to figure out what it was so that I don't repeat it.  My body feels like it could run 12 miles easy off the couch so I'm just a bit dumbfounded as to why I fell apart on race day.  It hasn't happened before.

Good thing is that I'm really just chalking it up to "Oh well, there'll be more" and went out this morning and had a nice swim.

Anyone else ever "bonked" and figured out why?

2010-03-24 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2744207

User image

Expert
miguelthai - 2010-03-23 9:26 PM
yogachic - 2010-03-23 2:36 PM The Chicago Marathon just sold out today!  I'm so glad I freaked out last week and registered.  Even if I'm not my best for the race, at least I have the option of doing it if I want.  Whew!!

That's great you got signed up.  You can always back out later if need be (but hopefully not).

Training for me is going well except I completely bonked during the race this last weekend.  I don't know what happened but at mile 12 I was tired and started walking and could never get it together after that.  I did finish, but it just wasn't how I wanted it or expected it to happen.

I'd love to figure out what it was so that I don't repeat it.  My body feels like it could run 12 miles easy off the couch so I'm just a bit dumbfounded as to why I fell apart on race day.  It hasn't happened before.

Good thing is that I'm really just chalking it up to "Oh well, there'll be more" and went out this morning and had a nice swim.

Anyone else ever "bonked" and figured out why?

Oh no!  Sorry to hear, but I'm glad you finished!  I have a friend that did LA as well, and he said he overheated and had to back off on his pace around mile 16.  Was unusually hot or something?  I've never bonked since my longest race so far has only been an olympic tri, so I have no clue Undecided

Glad that you're not letting this derail you, though!  I think that's another reason why I wanted to do another marathon this year. . . in case this first one doesn't go so well, I've already committed to doing another Wink
2010-03-24 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
hey Micheal, sorry about the race but I love your attitude, next one I'm sure you'll play a blinder.

Things have been exciting here in Perth, we had an amazing storm with 150km winds, mini tornadoes and hail stones the size of golf balls.  All the windows on the North side of our house have been smashed to blazes.  Our roof gave way and we had a deluge through our hall, down the steps and into our lounge.  It was the first rain for 3 months so the water was filthy as it slid from two roofs to the point of entry.  The whole place smells like a wet dog and my floorboards are all spongy but nobody was hurt and everything is fixable.  Our car is all dimpled like a golf ball.  Luckily hot dry weather has been forecast for the next week.  Training is taking a bit of a back seat as I clean up and stay in the house waiting for tradies to call.  Logging all the leaf sweeping though Wink
2010-03-25 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2746759

User image

New user

daisymouse - 2010-03-24 7:33 PM hey Micheal, sorry about the race but I love your attitude, next one I'm sure you'll play a blinder.

Things have been exciting here in Perth, we had an amazing storm with 150km winds, mini tornadoes and hail stones the size of golf balls.  All the windows on the North side of our house have been smashed to blazes.  Our roof gave way and we had a deluge through our hall, down the steps and into our lounge.  It was the first rain for 3 months so the water was filthy as it slid from two roofs to the point of entry.  The whole place smells like a wet dog and my floorboards are all spongy but nobody was hurt and everything is fixable.  Our car is all dimpled like a golf ball.  Luckily hot dry weather has been forecast for the next week.  Training is taking a bit of a back seat as I clean up and stay in the house waiting for tradies to call.  Logging all the leaf sweeping though Wink

Wow!  That's terrible news about the house and car, but glad to hear everyone is ok.  Gotta love Australia.  If the things in the water and the creepy crawlers on land don't get ya, there's always the golf ball sized hail.
2010-04-15 3:48 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Hi Gang

How's everybody doing?  Feel like I've lost my mojo over the last month; tri season here has finished for me and it's school holidays so I have my son at home.  All my club training sessions are geared towards the people who are doing the HIM in a few weeks and the sessions are a bit fierce for me.  I'm off to the UK in 5 weeks time, for a month so will be able to only run, which is kinda good as my next race is a running one, either 14k or a half-mary, depending on how the hip holds out.   Has everyone's season started yet in the top half of the world?

House-wise, we are still having consequences from the storm, need new carpets and my car has been written off due to the hail damage (but this is a good thing).  As I type, guys are on the roof but the most horrible thing was the poor possum who crawled into the wall cavity to get away from the hail and expired there.  We only realised when a nasty niff started to appear.  I still reckon I'm lucky though - this was a once in a century storm and I got to witness it. 

Hope everyone's well
Daisy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » sbreaux's group CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 9