Other Resources Challenge Me! » The Epiphanies (Team 2) - January Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-01-05 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2596575

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Subject: RE: The Epiphanies (Team 2) - January Challenge
GoGoGo - 2010-01-05 9:37 PM

A bike trainer is a little different, you can't fall off!  

I found a way! Awhile back, I almost took out my two front teeth as I went head-first into the handlebars. Just as I hit the handlebars, I broke my fall - and also broke a finger. So I ended up with a smashed lip and a broken finger. I looked really good. LOL

Yeah, Ms. Coordination. That's me. LOL

2010-01-05 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2596584

User image

Expert
Canada
D001 - 2010-01-05 10:45 PM
GoGoGo - 2010-01-05 9:37 PMA bike trainer is a little different, you can't fall off! ��
I found a way! Awhile back, I almost took out my two front teeth as I went head-first into the handlebars. Just as I hit the handlebars, I broke my fall - and also broke a finger. So I ended up with a smashed lip and a broken finger. I looked really good. LOLYeah, Ms. Coordination. That's me. LOL
Oh boy, OK you can fall off. But it's not easy!!!Must have been a mechanical difficulty...couldn't have been you!
2010-01-05 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2596588

User image

Champion
Taser-World
GoGoGo - 2010-01-05 9:49 PM

GoGoGo - 2010-01-05 9:37 PMA bike trainer is a little different, you can't fall off! ��
I found a way! Awhile back, I almost took out my two front teeth as I went head-first into the handlebars. Just as I hit the handlebars, I broke my fall - and also broke a finger. So I ended up with a smashed lip and a broken finger. I looked really good. LOLYeah, Ms. Coordination. That's me. LOL
Oh boy, OK you can fall off. But it's not easy!!!Must have been a mechanical difficulty...couldn't have been you!

Nah. It was me. LOL

I can't remember what I was trying to do. Get onto the bike, I think. LOL

2010-01-05 11:06 PM
in reply to: #2582747

User image

Veteran
Just got a 30 min trainer ride in. man i forgot the fan and boy did i sweat so good.  gym for weights and tread mill workout tomorrow.
2010-01-05 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2596218

User image

Veteran
Atlantia - 2010-01-05 3:11 PM Are you kidding, no way am I going to the gym in January. The lap lanes are way too crowded. And I hear you on the people who walk and read magazines. In full makeup. And talking on the cell phone whilst there, wtf? I always feel really out of place at the gym, until I get into the water, and then I'm so in my own head and trying not to drown that I don't notice I'm being passed by some octogenarian doing the breast stroke. If I win the lottery I am so installing an Endless Pool. I guess I should buy a house first. Yeah, that's my lotto list: 1. buy house 2. install endless pool 3. hire hot pool boy 4. enjoy

My application for Pool Boy
1) Im willing to relocate
2) I will keep the endless pool in ship-shop-shape for you
3) I'm good looking and will keep you honest with your workouts by doing them with you because I also tri.
4)I have a good personality (so I have been told)
5) since we are going to be racing in different gender categories there is no serious compeition between us in the races and we can have fun.

2010-01-06 1:03 AM
in reply to: #2596631

User image

Expert
D001 - 2010-01-05 10:12 PM
GoGoGo - 2010-01-05 9:49 PM
Nah. It was me. LOL I can't remember what I was trying to do. Get onto the bike, I think. LOL

Damn Dee, if you can fall of the trainer just trying to get on, I don't feel so bad about my misadventure with the rollers!

You're being coy though, someone probably tased you, right? I have a feeling you only give as good as you get! Tongue out

2010-01-06 1:06 AM

User image

Expert
So not only did I miss BT for 24 hours thanks to my first day at the new job, I also missed a swim workout. Not to fear, I will catch up for challenge purposes, but I am sitting here at 2am wide awake and desperately wishing for a 24 hour gym again!! I am envious of those who can workout whenever they can/wish.

Ok, off to check up on our spreadsheet... How is everyone doing?!
2010-01-06 1:49 AM

User image

Expert

So we're looking really great! If there are a couple of trends, I would say that we need to get into the pool!! And no judgement from me because I'm one of the biggest offenders, but there are a few of us who have swim goals with no workouts.

Also, make sure you put your workouts in the spreadsheet! If you're doing the work, you want to make sure you take the credit. Let's get some huge numbers in there by the end of the week and take the other teams by storm!!

2010-01-06 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Good Morning team!

Knees a bit creaky today after yesterdays long run, so I'll rest today from running. I am hoping to get my bike set up on the trainer, I can't believe it's taken me so long do do this! In all actuality down here in the south we still get decent riding days but not recently, so I'm getting my little station set up and will do a wee bit of a work out. Have to go out of town on business for Thursday and Friday, so those days will probably be a wash.

Have a great day everyone!
2010-01-06 7:39 AM

Uxbridge
Morning all! Sad to report I hurt my back 2 days ago. I have been in a drugged stupor since.I am not changing my goals just yet. I feel better today and will see my PT tommorow. Once I get a better idea of what I can do I will let you all know. I may try a swim tonight if I feel good.
2010-01-06 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2597057

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
mav - 2010-01-06 7:39 AM Morning all! Sad to report I hurt my back 2 days ago. I have been in a drugged stupor since.I am not changing my goals just yet. I feel better today and will see my PT tommorow. Once I get a better idea of what I can do I will let you all know. I may try a swim tonight if I feel good.

Bummer!! Rest up and feel better soon!

2010-01-06 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
mav - 2010-01-06 8:39 AM

Morning all! Sad to report I hurt my back 2 days ago. I have been in a drugged stupor since.I am not changing my goals just yet. I feel better today and will see my PT tommorow. Once I get a better idea of what I can do I will let you all know. I may try a swim tonight if I feel good.

Oh, no! Get well soon.
2010-01-06 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I just got another run in today. Boy my calves are hurting when I got up those hills. It was just barely snowing and it wasn't sticking, it was so pretty.

As for the pool boy, it seems there is enough interest that rather than wait for me to win the lotto, we could probably pool our money and all get one together. And we've even had our first application! It'll be like a time share, but with relocating eye candy!
2010-01-06 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Hi Team!

Just checking in!  Since I just joined the team, I guess I should update everyone on what I've been doing.  I started marathon training last week, and Fri (New Year's Day!) was a 6-mile tempo run = 2 miles easy, 2 miles tempo, 2 miles easy.  Sunday was my long run, and it was my longest outdoor run (9 miles) since my half marathon in Nov. . . And I was running in windy, 5-degree whether the whole time! 

I didn't think the 9-miler was too bad, but then on Monday I had to cut short the lifting workout I had planned because my legs were really sore Undecided  So, instead I opted to just stretch and foam roll out my legs.  Unfortunately, that puts me slightly behind on my January goal of 10 hrs of strength training.

Last night was a speed session on the treadmill since I didn't feel like battling the cold & wind again.  I logged a total of 3.75, so I'm right no track for my run goal of the month.
2010-01-06 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
PLanning on weights and a running workout.
2010-01-06 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2597545

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
yogachic - 2010-01-06 8:07 AM Hi Team!

Just checking in!  Since I just joined the team, I guess I should update everyone on what I've been doing.  I started marathon training last week, and Fri (New Year's Day!) was a 6-mile tempo run = 2 miles easy, 2 miles tempo, 2 miles easy.  Sunday was my long run, and it was my longest outdoor run (9 miles) since my half marathon in Nov. . . And I was running in windy, 5-degree whether the whole time! 

I didn't think the 9-miler was too bad, but then on Monday I had to cut short the lifting workout I had planned because my legs were really sore Undecided  So, instead I opted to just stretch and foam roll out my legs.  Unfortunately, that puts me slightly behind on my January goal of 10 hrs of strength training.

Last night was a speed session on the treadmill since I didn't feel like battling the cold & wind again.  I logged a total of 3.75, so I'm right no track for my run goal of the month.

Not knowing your experience level, just a little word of caution.  Be careful with the speedwork.  In fact, many marathon plans avoid this form of work all together.  I prefer to still do speedwork, but I only do one form of speedwork per week (tempo, hills, or intervals).  I also make sure I have a rest day preceeding the workout.

Just my two cents....  I'll get off the soapbox now

2010-01-06 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
mav - 2010-01-06 5:39 AM Morning all! Sad to report I hurt my back 2 days ago. I have been in a drugged stupor since.I am not changing my goals just yet. I feel better today and will see my PT tommorow. Once I get a better idea of what I can do I will let you all know. I may try a swim tonight if I feel good.

Sorry to hear about the injury.  Not being 100 percent right now too, I can feel your pain (figuratively and literally).  I was almost in a depressive funk from not being able to do the workouts I wanted to do.  I can't believe how addictive exercise can be!

I've been experimenting with trigger point therapy the last couple days and have had measurable success.  This method seems to work much better for me than the foam roller.
2010-01-06 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2597027

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
blujay65 - 2010-01-06 5:28 AM Good Morning team!

Knees a bit creaky today after yesterdays long run, so I'll rest today from running. I am hoping to get my bike set up on the trainer, I can't believe it's taken me so long do do this! In all actuality down here in the south we still get decent riding days but not recently, so I'm getting my little station set up and will do a wee bit of a work out. Have to go out of town on business for Thursday and Friday, so those days will probably be a wash.

I actually like the trainer.  I tend to be much more task specific on the trainer and achieve a really targeted workout in an hour.  Not to mention, it allows me to squeeze that extra workout that I would otherwise miss when I'm alone with the kids.
2010-01-06 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2598331

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
brick94513 - 2010-01-06 2:07 PM
blujay65 - 2010-01-06 5:28 AM Good Morning team!

I actually like the trainer.  I tend to be much more task specific on the trainer and achieve a really targeted workout in an hour.  Not to mention, it allows me to squeeze that extra workout that I would otherwise miss when I'm alone with the kids.

I guess I go back and forth on it. I tend to get bored easy so I must have a good movie to watch. Unfortunately I nixed it today, knees just achy enough that I don't want to mess up my run training, so I did a core workout instead.
2010-01-06 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2598310

User image

Expert
brick94513 - 2010-01-06 2:00 PM

Not knowing your experience level, just a little word of caution.  Be careful with the speedwork.  In fact, many marathon plans avoid this form of work all together.  I prefer to still do speedwork, but I only do one form of speedwork per week (tempo, hills, or intervals).  I also make sure I have a rest day preceeding the workout.

Thanks!  No worries about the soap box Wink  Any and all advice/ opinions are welcome!  This was actually something I debated on when I was trying to choose my marathon plan....

The one I decided to go with is the FIRST marathon training plan for people running their first marathon (http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm) at the suggestion of an ultrarunner/triathlete I know.  Her reasoning was that the plan only called for 3 runs a week, which is a lot less than most other marathon plans, so it'd be easier to incorporate into my HIM training.  You're also supposed to cross-train (or take easy runs) 2-3 days a week... so right now I'm lifting on my cross training days, and will start adding swim/bike workouts into my schedule starting in Feb. 

The only issue is that the 3 runs are all hard runs (1 interval, 1 tempo, and 1 long run).  I know they caution beginners against doing speedwork, but I'm not exactly sure if I'd be considered a beginner or not... I've been running off & on for two years, and I did a sprint, 3 olys, and 2 half marathons last year.  Not sure if that's enough to not be a beginner?  Also, the plan tells you the pace you're supposed to run at, based on your 10k race pace.  So hopefully I won't be running so fast that I'd injure myself.

So anyways, long story short, I AM kind of worried about all the speedwork, too.  I'm definitely watching it, though, which is why I'm taking extra steps to make sure I'm stretching/foam rolling/resting/recovering as necessary! Smile
2010-01-06 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2598536

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
yogachic - 2010-01-06 1:06 PM
brick94513 - 2010-01-06 2:00 PM

Thanks!  No worries about the soap box Wink  Any and all advice/ opinions are welcome!  This was actually something I debated on when I was trying to choose my marathon plan....

The one I decided to go with is the FIRST marathon training plan for people running their first marathon (http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm) at the suggestion of an ultrarunner/triathlete I know.  Her reasoning was that the plan only called for 3 runs a week, which is a lot less than most other marathon plans, so it'd be easier to incorporate into my HIM training.  You're also supposed to cross-train (or take easy runs) 2-3 days a week... so right now I'm lifting on my cross training days, and will start adding swim/bike workouts into my schedule starting in Feb. 

The only issue is that the 3 runs are all hard runs (1 interval, 1 tempo, and 1 long run).  I know they caution beginners against doing speedwork, but I'm not exactly sure if I'd be considered a beginner or not... I've been running off & on for two years, and I did a sprint, 3 olys, and 2 half marathons last year.  Not sure if that's enough to not be a beginner?  Also, the plan tells you the pace you're supposed to run at, based on your 10k race pace.  So hopefully I won't be running so fast that I'd injure myself.

So anyways, long story short, I AM kind of worried about all the speedwork, too.  I'm definitely watching it, though, which is why I'm taking extra steps to make sure I'm stretching/foam rolling/resting/recovering as necessary! Smile

I would be interested in hearing opinions on this plan.  In doing some quick research, it seems so contrary to other plans on the market.  Like you said, even though you are only running three times a week, the intensities of those runs are very high.  The distance and pace of the long run each week without the supporting weekly mileage stands out to me.  I was under the impression that your long run should be no more than 40-50 percent of your weekly mileage.  But, then again, I'm by no means an expert in this field.

Please don't take any of this the wrong way.  I'm not trying to bash.  I just would hate to see you get hurt.  Plus, I'm always craving new knowledge.

2010-01-06 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Just got the weight session as well as a 16 min run in.  wanted to go longer but my left butt cheek cramped.  oh well only 4 min short of goal time. will make it up 30-60sec at a time.
2010-01-06 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2598613

User image

Expert
brick94513 - 2010-01-06 3:29 PM
I would be interested in hearing opinions on this plan.  In doing some quick research, it seems so contrary to other plans on the market.  Like you said, even though you are only running three times a week, the intensities of those runs are very high.  The distance and pace of the long run each week without the supporting weekly mileage stands out to me.  I was under the impression that your long run should be no more than 40-50 percent of your weekly mileage.  But, then again, I'm by no means an expert in this field.

Please don't take any of this the wrong way.  I'm not trying to bash.  I just would hate to see you get hurt.  Plus, I'm always craving new knowledge.

No offense taken at all!  I'd love to hear opinions as well, and also would hate to see myself get hurt!  I had this plan recommended to me by a friend in my tri club who uses it for her races as well (she does ultras as well as HIM's and IM's), but I'm definitely open to hearing what other people think about it too.

Edited by yogachic 2010-01-06 4:36 PM
2010-01-06 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2598769

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
yogachic - 2010-01-06 5:36 PM

brick94513 - 2010-01-06 3:29 PM

No offense taken at all!  I'd love to hear opinions as well, and also would hate to see myself get hurt!  I had this plan recommended to me by a friend in my tri club who uses it for her races as well (she does ultras as well as HIM's and IM's), but I'm definitely open to hearing what other people think about it too.

Let me preface by saying that I only attempted to train for a marathon once, got up to about 16 miles as my long run in training, and then had to bag the race for other reasons. My take is this: you are not a beginner runner, not by any means. But you are a beginner marathoner, and that makes a lot of difference. Proceed with caution.
2010-01-06 5:19 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Hello fellow Pips,

Did a resistance workout today. Had a short bike ride & fast 20 minute run after.

Feelin' groovvyy!

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-06 5:34 PM
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » The Epiphanies (Team 2) - January Challenge Rss Feed  

of 24