BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-02-01 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2583522

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED
Tip of the day, February 1

BodyGlide

FYI, this is a product that is used to prevent chafing. I generally only use it during races. In training, I try to toughen up the areas of skin that might rub. But in a race, when you are starting out wet and also possibly wearing some gear you don't usually wear and go longer than you usually go, you can rub your skin bloody. If you've ever run the second half of a 5K with your arms flapping like wings to avoid rubbing your pits completely raw on the seam of your top, you know it's worth it for a stick of BodyGlide.  Can be purchased at cycling store, most race expos, and sometimes even Sportsmart or Dick's.

Coming tomorrow: Speedy wetsuit removal

2010-02-01 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2646087

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: My first swim lesson
Avoneer - 2010-01-31 6:36 PM

dajotkjo - 2010-01-31 8:38 PM I didn't learn to swim until I was in college because in order to graduate, I had to pass a swim test. I haven't done much swimming since then and that was almost 20 years ago (Really?). Anyway, after a month of frustration with my front crawl, I finally signed up for private lessons and it was worth it. I learned so much in 30 minutes. I have homework for this week when I go to the pool on Tuesday and Thursday. I have 3 more sessions to go. I was lucky to have and understanding and competent instructor.

Good for you - go get em!

It's taken me nearly 3 months to get from no crawl and struggling with breathing to do 18 lenghts none stop.

Pat...

Thanks Pat. What part of England are you from? My in-laws are from Blackpool. The farm that my father in-law grew up in is now part of the Blackpool zoo.
2010-02-02 11:10 AM

New user

Hi, I was born and bred in Manchester, but moved to hilly Yorkshire 10 years ago (probably good for Tri training, but some might disagree)!

Both are within 50 miles of Blackpool and my dad has a yacht just off the Blackpool coast.

It's a small world.

Anyway, I have a tip for the day (hope you don't mind Alice):

Anyone who used to ride mountain bikes and progressed to a road bike and clipless pedals and doesn't seem to have made much progress recently, have a go on a mountain bike again - you'll be shocked at how efficient road bikes, clipless pedals and yourself have become.

Pat ;-)

2010-02-02 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2649957

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Avoneer - 2010-02-02 12:10 PM

Hi, I was born and bred in Manchester, but moved to hilly Yorkshire 10 years ago (probably good for Tri training, but some might disagree)!

Both are within 50 miles of Blackpool and my dad has a yacht just off the Blackpool coast.

It's a small world.

Anyway, I have a tip for the day (hope you don't mind Alice):

Anyone who used to ride mountain bikes and progressed to a road bike and clipless pedals and doesn't seem to have made much progress recently, have a go on a mountain bike again - you'll be shocked at how efficient road bikes, clipless pedals and yourself have become.

Pat ;-)

Awesome!!! Now I can save my wetsuit tip for tomorrow! Sweet!

Wow, that is a small world you guys!
2010-02-04 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the day, Feb. 4

Wetsuit removal

Should you be lucky enough to get a triathlon wetsuit (I asked for one for my birthday one year - just one gift everyone could go together for) you will definitely need to practice getting out of it fast in T1 (the transition from swim to bike).
You can unzip it while running to T1.
You can get your arms out and pull it down to your waist, also while running.
You can get your goggles and cap off while running.

Then when you get there, pull it down to your calves, as far as you can (while standing!) and then step on it with one foot while jerking your other foot up. Like a kid gets out of their pants. Step step step. Keep alternating, fast, until it's off.
This is something to practice. If you have trouble, you can put a lubricant on the bottoms of the legs, but search the BT forums first. Some people claim certain things, like Pam spray, or vaseline, will damage your wetsuit.

I have personally never used a lubricant on my suit. But I have ankle zippers, so that helps.
2010-02-05 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the Day, Feb. 5

Don't get too caught up in other people's plans, food and equipment.

Obviously at the beginning of taking up triathlon, it's easy to get sucked up into every gadget and learning about expensive bikes, and eating crazy space food.

I have a lot of gadgets now, and a tri bike, but that's only after 9 years of doing this.
I raced for many, many years on a road bike I bought used from a Masters swim teammate for $300.

Also, I tend to get caught up in articles in tri magazines or posts on here about how much to eat or drink during longer races.
Two things to think about:
1) The makers of gels and sports drinks want you to buy more product, so they are going to advise that you consume a lot of it.
2) My husband, because he is male and weighs more than me, frequently burns TWICE as many calories as I do on the same run, running right next to each other and starting and finishing together.

So when someone says that you should eat a couple gels and a clif bar on the bike, you have to think about who you are, and how many calories you might really need.  For anything under 2 hours, you really don't need anything but some water. And you can get away with just a sports drink for an Olympic.

I was getting pretty bad stomach issues trying to keep up with what I was "supposed" to be eating, but as it turns out (shock of shocks) everybody's different.

2010-02-07 11:12 AM

New user

Thanks for that Alice - should save some of us some pennies.

Pat...

2010-02-07 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2656504

New user

ahohl - 2010-02-05 7:58 AM Tip of the Day, Feb. 5

Obviously at the beginning of taking up triathlon, it's easy to get sucked up into every gadget and learning about expensive bikes, and eating crazy space food.

I have a lot of gadgets now, and a tri bike, but that's only after 9 years of doing this.
I raced for many, many years on a road bike I bought used from a Masters swim teammate for $300.

Also, I tend to get caught up in articles in tri magazines or posts on here about how much to eat or drink during longer races.
1) The makers of gels and sports drinks want you to buy more product, so they are going to advise that you consume a lot of it.
2) My husband, because he is male and weighs more than me, frequently burns TWICE as many calories as I do on the same run, running right next to each other and starting and finishing together.

So when someone says that you should eat a couple gels and a clif bar on the bike, you have to think about who you are, and how many calories you might really need.  For anything under 2 hours, you really don't need anything but some water. And you can get away with just a sports drink for an Olympic.

I was getting pretty bad stomach issues trying to keep up with what I was "supposed" to be eating, but as it turns out (shock of shocks) everybody's different.

Thanks Alice for this tips! I am one who gets caught up in getting all the gadgets and having not even done my first outdoor TRI, i have been talking to my wife about getting a TRI bike - she's like "Ohhhh Jeeeeeeeeze, here we go again!" .  Well, I got a trek1500 road bike and have had for about 2 years now.  Based on your advice, I think I will stick with this bike for a little while.  My wife thanks you  

Adrian
2010-02-08 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2656504

User image

Regular
ahohl - 2010-02-05 8:58 AM Tip of the Day, Feb. 5

Thanks Alice.  Lots of sound advice.
2010-02-08 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
How was everyone's weekend? We had quite a bit of snow here, so my typical outdoor run was replaced by a session of pulling my kids up and down on the streets on sleds. My son wanted to go fast in circles, so I got some speedwork in on our little cul-de-sac.
Fun!
I think I got a blister from running in my boots, though!

My trainer ride was good, but I think I have learned my lesson for good this time - I HAVE to do this in the morning before everyone wakes up. I did it during naptime, and the kids woke up. Dh was on duty, but he had studying to do, so he kept them out of the room I was in, but didn't have time to set them up with something to do. So they proceeded to dump teeny tiny sequins all over my daughter's carpet in her room. Sigh. Then I had to get mad at them and everything. I should have just gotten up at 6 when I woke up anyway.
2010-02-08 3:40 PM

New user

At least all the snow has gone here in the UK and it's just cold and wet.

Did my 1st brick tonight.

After my 12 mile commute home on the bike, I went straight out for a 2 mile run.

Please tell me the 1st 5 minutes gets easier!

As far as running goes, is it ok to do 2 weekly run sessions straight after my bike ride then something longer and less energetic at the weekend?

Thanks,

Pat...

2010-02-08 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2662034

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Bricks DEFINITELY get easier.

And yes, it's a good idea to do a long slow run on the weekend. Your schedule sounds good. If you do two bricks a week, you'll be in terrific shape!
2010-02-08 9:09 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: The weekend was like a flat soda.
My youngest daughter started the common cold train that finally reached my station and I felt like crap. The smart thing to do would have been to rest, so what did I do? I opted to go bike riding in the rain. Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong. Our Sat bike ride was thwarted by clips that were left behind. My husband loaded up the truck with everything except the clips. The realization was made once we got to the park. We went back home to get the clips but had lost 45 minutes in travel time and our sitter had to be gone by a certain hour. My husband chose a subdivision nearby that is very hilly. I am a novel cyclist with clips: the hills and I were not a good combination. I had my inaugural falls, 2 of them, trying to make it to the top of the hill and not being able to clip out fast enough. I had the sense to keep close to the lawns so I fell on soft lawns. My husband said I looked cute falling with my bike. I didn't feel cute. But now I know how it feels to fall and I'm not scared of falling on the right side. My swim lesson on Sun was just as fulfilling. I couldn't breathe well because of my cold so I was out of breath the entire time. I really questioned my sanity in signing up for a tri as I was blowing bubbles in the pool. Today was much better and I hit the pool tomorrow morning. Alice, I saw your training blog entry regarding pulling your kids on a sled. Wow, you are the woman. When i grow up I want to be like you :-)
2010-02-09 1:33 AM

New user

Been there done that....

If i'm poorly, I find the best thing is to do some indoor stretching/yoga or play on the Wii - makes you feel like you've accomplished at least something and without any negative training benefits in the big scheme of things.

And I hope the bubbles in the pool were from your mouth/nose ;-)

Pat...

2010-02-09 2:37 PM

New user

Found a bit of inspiration for you all (if you haven't seen it already):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCYCPaDXT90&feature=PlayList&p=31D6FC8D61AF50CE&index=2

And the one that made me start training - Team Hoyt -  warning it's very powerful, emotional and humbling (and tearful, even for us blokes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRvsO8m_KI

Pat...

Edited by Avoneer 2010-02-09 2:46 PM
2010-02-10 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2662502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: The weekend was like a flat soda.
Denise, that sounds like a rough weekend, sorry to hear it but as you say at least you are now comfortable (or at least as comfortable as possible) falling.

The weekend was pretty mellow for me, an hour swim on Saturday and nothing on Sunday - the weather has been pretty gnarly here - lots of snow - (I was in Alice's neck of the woods on Friday and was hopeful to meet her and her family after work but unfortunately that was when the weather started to roll in and my husband and I were unable to get out that way - sorry Alice!) I went for a run in the snow yesterday - nothing fast by any means because the snow was as deep as the middle of my calf in places but it was very pretty as it kept snowing while I was running. My training has been off the last couple of weeks because things have been a little nuts at home and with work but I am hoping to find my groove again soon. I will hit the treadmill at lunch and hope to swim and spin tonight (provided the Y doesn't close early). Snow, snow, go away!

2010-02-10 11:49 AM

New user

You'll soon find your groove - the dark nights etc. don't help.

I found running in the snow late evening very eerie/magical at the same time.

Pat...

2010-02-10 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Hey Denise - Sounds like you worked through a rough workout weekend and made it through!
I'm curious, when you say you left your clips at home, what do you mean? The pedals? or the shoes? Surely you don't remove the cleats from the shoes each time, right?

It definitely takes some falling down to figure out the whole clipping in, clipping out thing.
Quick tip - don't start out from a stop when headed up a hill. I fell over several times doing this, because I didn't have enough momentum to get my pedal up to the top and get clipped in before coming to a stop and falling over.

DDiamond - My dh mentioned that you were trying to make it and I got all excited, but yeah, the snow was nasty. I hope you had a good time at the comedy show!

I've been plugging along, mostly indoors. My Tuesday run was supposed to be outside, but snow hit us again and work let out early, so I stopped by the Y to run on the treadmill instead.

I also got a great tip from my Masters coach today at swimming. He said to try to concentrate on relaxing my arm recovery while making my other arm work really hard at pushing the water. I tried it, and WOW. All my hand entry issues disappeared. In fact, I felt like I was just lifting up my arm and setting it down gently again and letting my momentum push my hand into the water. CooL!
2010-02-10 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Thanks Pat for the links!
I know quite a bit about Team Hoyt, but I hadn't seen that video. I definitely got a little teary!
2010-02-10 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2666182

User image

Regular
ahohl - 2010-02-10 2:46 PMHey Denise - Sounds like you worked through a rough workout weekend and made it through!
I'm curious, when you say you left your clips at home, what do you mean? The pedals? or the shoes? Surely you don't remove the cleats from the shoes each time, right?I left the shoes at home.
2010-02-11 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2666929

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Ah, the shoes. That makes sense.

This really does all get easier. Every time I change up my routine or go to a new pool, I forget something or take something out on deck with me that I don't need, or leave something in the locker room.
Same with running and biking.

It takes me forever to set up the trainer in the basement the first few times each winter. Ugh!

It does get better and better, and soon enough you'll find yourself coming into transition, already clipped out and thinking about your strategy for getting your helmet off faster!

2010-02-11 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the Day, Feb. 11

Making trips and errands work for you.

Frequently, when the weather is nicer, my husband and I will take turns driving the kids, car and bike rack to a place while the other rides there. Then we switch on the way home.  For example, my husband's grandmother's house is a good ride destination - out in the country, good mileage, decent roads, some hills.  So on the way there, I will drive with the kids, a change of clothes for him, the bike rack, my bike, and my bike gear.

He will ride there.

When he gets there, his clothes are in the car. He puts his bike on the rack and I take mine off. Then I ride home.

Something to think about as you are planning out how to fit in those longer sessions this spring and summer.

Cycling is definitely the most time intensive!
2010-02-11 1:27 PM

New user

Ooooo - I like that one - although mine would be ride there and sleep as a passenger on the way back!

Pat...

2010-02-11 3:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Dumb question - what is a brick workout, I have seen this referenced on many places in the site but haven't asked, so I am asking you all as my trusted groupies who will just smile and tell me what it is...

PS. Alice I seem to find myself traveling through Columbus with my little one quite frequently  on my way to and from Knox County to visit family so hopefully one of these trips I can give you all a little notice and actually swing in to meet you...
2010-02-11 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2668495

New user

ddiamond - 2010-02-11 3:09 PM Dumb question - what is a brick workout, I have seen this referenced on many places in the site but haven't asked, so I am asking you all as my trusted groupies who will just smile and tell me what it is...

PS. Alice I seem to find myself traveling through Columbus with my little one quite frequently  on my way to and from Knox County to visit family so hopefully one of these trips I can give you all a little notice and actually swing in to meet you...

How I understand it is... its when you do one workout immediately following with another workout. 

Adrian
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12