BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-02-19 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2682806

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: RE: Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full
That is always best to find out what you're in for...LOL Wink.  The "Peach Challenge" is what you see on you Log screen, Whenever you log a training exercise, or some training for that day it will change to peach or a close variation. Basically no days without some sort of training.  So are you in?? or up for a challenge??

Edited by scott1223 2010-02-19 9:41 PM

2010-02-19 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2682973

User image

Los Angeles
scott1223 - 2010-02-19 8:33 PM That is always best to find out what you're in for...LOL Wink.  The "Peach Challenge" is what you see on you Log screen, Whenever you log a training exercise, or some training for that day it will change to peach or a close variation. Basically no days without some sort of training.  So are you in?? or up for a challenge??

Ok, I'm and it will be a challenge as I know I am out of town for a wedding the firest weekend in march. maybe the hotel has a gym.
2010-02-19 10:06 PM
in reply to: #2682668

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-02-19 4:50 PM Hey Dan,

How about a Peach challenge for March.  See how many days you can go in Peach for March. Training something everyday!  What does everyone think?? 

I'd be in.  Everyone will just need to make sure not to push too hard...I know I tend to do that.
2010-02-19 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2682672

User image

Davenport, IA
SteveyD - 2010-02-19 4:53 PM Evening chaps. I've really been hitting the work outs hard this last 2 weeks
Still concerned about my running though, i get a pain at the back / top of my left leg just below the hip area, talked to a couple of the bt medic sthey gvae me a few suggestions and im going to get a trip to the GP in order, although i know he wont help becauseh es not a great GP :|

Also i was thinking about entering a race earlier in teh season, in may, however it would mean i only get 2 weeks of outdoor pool /suit training  due to pool not opening til mid may :\
http://www.fritton-lake-triathlon.co.uk/ would go for super sprint. Its also reasonably nearby

It'd be tough on 2 weeks of swimming, but as long as you'd have fun I would do it.
2010-02-19 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2683005

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Just as long as you do something, even walking.  Can be as easy as situps and pushups, just add something to your training log.  As Dan said nothing excessive.

Dan, you should have to do double since your the most experienced...LOL   I am going to sign up this weekend for a Sprint June 27.  It is a little longer that a normal one, but my friend who talked me into the Sprint in August asked I sign up for this one also. 

2010-02-20 12:13 AM
in reply to: #2587085

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Had an amazing 2 hour ride outside today. Unbelievably great weather. Off to go skiing at Silver Star with the family tomorrow. Thankfully it's a rest day. lol Have a great week end.
Whato

2010-02-20 12:58 AM
in reply to: #2683094

User image

Los Angeles

have fun Whato,

I have to tell you that I keep reading the "homines" in your signature a homies then realized the words kinda mean the same.  lol (i know I am just weird)

2010-02-20 4:53 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
just got up and the sun is shining! Its still only 2 degrees outside but its at least sunny, going to try and get a ride in an hour or so, hopefully any ice will have melted.
2010-02-24 7:08 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
So how is everybody's week going?  Mine is off to a decent start.  Had some hard workouts already.
2010-02-24 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2690063

User image

Los Angeles

doing good so far this week, I actually made it in to the pool. Woo hoo! Question does it matter what stroke you use? I think the freestyle stroke is prefered but, I get tired or, thrown off my rhythm in the middle of the pool, and I roll over and do the back stroke . (Which is much cooler looking that trashing about like a shark attack) My goal is to do all 500m freestyle but, I can only make it about 1 1/2 laps right now. Am I sabotaging myself by doing this or what?

2010-02-24 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2690690

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Work is interfering with my training, need to find a job that pays for my training and supports me.  Is that too much to ask?  I will be doing a modified workout this evening and a run on Fri.

Bonnie, I know it is difficult as I am finding out myself.  I am hoping to get to the pool at least 2-3 times a week to improve.  I am just going to keep practicing and like with my running, will find it easier.

Is everyone in for the "Peach Challenge"??

2010-02-24 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2690889

User image

Los Angeles
I'm in for the challenge.

I know finding time for training can be tough, I call my job what I do to finance, the rest of my life. 
2010-02-24 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2690690

User image

Davenport, IA
BonnieB - 2010-02-24 11:04 AM

doing good so far this week, I actually made it in to the pool. Woo hoo! Question does it matter what stroke you use? I think the freestyle stroke is prefered but, I get tired or, thrown off my rhythm in the middle of the pool, and I roll over and do the back stroke . (Which is much cooler looking that trashing about like a shark attack) My goal is to do all 500m freestyle but, I can only make it about 1 1/2 laps right now. Am I sabotaging myself by doing this or what?

I can't remember, is your swim in open water or in a pool?  Freestyle is the preferred stroke for two reasons, speed/efficiency and ability to site.  If you're on your back it's going to be much harder to tell where you're going.  Personally, I would keep working on my freestyle as much as possible.  Backstroke is going to be really hard in a race, especially when you add in all of the other people who will be around you.  If they have technique classes at your pool, or if there's a local swim/tri club that can help you work on form, that would seem to me to be the way to go.
2010-02-24 11:38 PM
in reply to: #2691040

User image

Los Angeles
Sprint_DA - 2010-02-24 12:00 PM
BonnieB - 2010-02-24 11:04 AM

I can't remember, is your swim in open water or in a pool?  Freestyle is the preferred stroke for two reasons, speed/efficiency and ability to site.  If you're on your back it's going to be much harder to tell where you're going.  Personally, I would keep working on my freestyle as much as possible.  Backstroke is going to be really hard in a race, especially when you add in all of the other people who will be around you.  If they have technique classes at your pool, or if there's a local swim/tri club that can help you work on form, that would seem to me to be the way to go.

it is a lake swim for the August at Hansen dam(if they ever open up registration) or there one at Venice beach is ocean swim(yikes). There is an L.A Tri club I will check out their website for swim info.
2010-02-25 5:19 AM
in reply to: #2692194

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Bonnie, I will tell you the swim class I am taking is very good. They are very patient with me as I am the one who needs extra attention...swims like a rock...lol.  Anyway I would check out a swim technique class if you can find one.
2010-02-25 11:26 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Where is the Peach Challenge?

2010-02-26 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2694556

User image

Davenport, IA
Whato - 2010-02-25 11:26 PM Where is the Peach Challenge?

I was thinking we could just do it in our thread here.

Starts Monday...you all ready?
2010-02-26 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2695764

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
I am in... just got the aero's attached on the bike this am.  Now my bike looks like a real Tri bike.  Going for a spin (on the drainer) after work to see how they feel.  

How was skiing Whato?  Sounds like the conditions were good.
2010-02-26 9:22 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Hi Scott the snow was awesome! Had some of the best skiing of my life. My son is now faster than me and I can't catch him. I didn't start skiing until I was 26. One of the guys (a good friend) that was with us this trip almost made the Canadian Free Style team a few years back. Boy could he ski! He was helping Liam a lot and by the end of day three it was all over. Liam is now just way too fast for me.

I'm in for the peach challenge! I figured out what it was. lol  
2010-02-27 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2696488

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Whato, Sounds like the conditions were fantastic!  Glad to see you are in for the challenge.  My biggest one will be the swim. Need to get to the pool more to find my rhythm in the water.  Skiing is an awesome leg workout even if your son beats you...Wink

Dan,  need advise on a new bike computer.  In taking my bike over to the LBS it fell over and broke the piece where the zip tie holds it to the fork.  It was an older Vetta computer anyway but wanted to wait until the Vetta broke. Looking for a wireless one, with candence and possibly HR.  Any advise??  Thanks.

March "Peach Challenge"  how many days of peach can you do??
2010-02-27 11:19 AM

User image

Los Angeles

I so excited, I found a scaq Swim 101 - Intro to Masters clinic, and they some classes that are actually at times i came make and I made to the pool 2x this week. I am really somuch happier when I am on track.
Raining buckets today, so a good workout at the gym is in order. Smile 

Ready to meet the peach!

2010-02-27 12:54 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Giddy up on the swim lessons Bonnie!
2010-02-27 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2696806

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-02-27 8:57 AM Whato, Sounds like the conditions were fantastic!  Glad to see you are in for the challenge.  My biggest one will be the swim. Need to get to the pool more to find my rhythm in the water.  Skiing is an awesome leg workout even if your son beats you...Wink

Dan,  need advise on a new bike computer.  In taking my bike over to the LBS it fell over and broke the piece where the zip tie holds it to the fork.  It was an older Vetta computer anyway but wanted to wait until the Vetta broke. Looking for a wireless one, with candence and possibly HR.  Any advise??  Thanks.

March "Peach Challenge"  how many days of peach can you do??

I'm a sucker for my Garmin 305 with the cadence meter.  Time, distance, heartrate, pace, speed, can plan workouts into it, can upload it straight into your logs here.  I wouldn't trade it for the world.  Plus you can use it on the run, too. 
2010-02-27 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2696488

User image

Davenport, IA
Whato - 2010-02-26 9:22 PM Hi Scott the snow was awesome! Had some of the best skiing of my life. My son is now faster than me and I can't catch him. I didn't start skiing until I was 26. One of the guys (a good friend) that was with us this trip almost made the Canadian Free Style team a few years back. Boy could he ski! He was helping Liam a lot and by the end of day three it was all over. Liam is now just way too fast for me.

I'm in for the peach challenge! I figured out what it was. lol  

Sounds awesome!  I'm missing my normal weekend of skiing in Colorado this year, kinda bummed out about that.
2010-02-27 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2696935

User image

Davenport, IA
BonnieB - 2010-02-27 11:19 AM

I so excited, I found a scaq Swim 101 - Intro to Masters clinic, and they some classes that are actually at times i came make and I made to the pool 2x this week. I am really somuch happier when I am on track.
Raining buckets today, so a good workout at the gym is in order. Smile 

Ready to meet the peach!

That's awesome Bonnie!  You'll be amazed how much even some basic coaching will help your speed and efficiency.  Enjoy your workout!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  

of 12