BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri for fun - Full up, closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-01-14 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2587664

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Tri for fun - Full up, closed
Anyone else????? Anyone? Anyone?

2010-01-14 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2613961

I have 10 and if I learn to delegate better-probably 15.  Going to go swimming at the Wellness Center. 

p.s. my husband has been ordered by the doc to lose 20 pounds to help lower his blood pressure and his cholesterol.  He is 6'2" built like a football player-probably 250 now. 
He started exercising over vacation(Christmas).

2010-01-14 2:26 PM

Hey...that is a golden opportunity for YOU to train lots, Nichi....doctors orders!! Your husband can accompany YOU

Yup, I find its all about prioritizing and putting household jobs onto the kids or just not doing them. So far, the "clean house police" have never visited my house, although I prefer a tidy and dog hair free house. But the flack I get is mostly when I DO clean!! No one else seems to mind grimy, so I am the bad guy when I want things cleaned/tidied.

SO...I decided...I will do only my laundry(kids are 12 and 13). When the others get short on clothes, I am MORE than happy to help them out but the it is their laundry duty, not mine. Same with food shopping...unlike common belief, the frig does not restock itself. So, I have stopped always doing the groceries. If we run out of milk, someone need to buy some more. I make sure there is salad stuff and enough in the way of staples in the house to get by and food to make healthy dinners on the nights I am not working...beyond that, the husband and kids have to figure grocery shopping into their routine. And since I just stopped doing so much...things DO get done.

In the process, I have ALOT more time and alot less guilt.

My mom would not approve if she could see me heading out on my bike with the house needing attention( my mom passed more than 5 years ago but I really miss her!)...but guess what...the dust bunnies are still there when I have time to get to them

Funny how life works out....
2010-01-14 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2614080

HI Team, people who motivate me.  I remember watching the Hoyt video before I decided to do triathlons and they certainly are motivating! 

I have a friend who does marathons and has lost 60 pounds while running.  She encourages me a lot in my exercising endeavors.

Another person is a former classmate of mine who was diagnosed with stage 3 esophageal cancer on 9/9/09.  He was given a 25% chance to live.  He has gone through 6 weeks of chemo and radiation, major surgery, and is now taking another series of chemo to keep the cancer from coming back.  He is cancer free!  I ran in the rain for an hour this fall on his behalf.  When I run, I think of other people that can't even get out and do it, but would like to and  that helps to get me going.  Oh, this person also has 6 kids(2 under 5) .   

My mom was also diagnosed with cancer when she was 42 which is my age.  I want to be as healthy as possible and I know that exercising is one part of the equation.  My mom was also diagnosed with breast cancer at 58.  She is cancer free today. 

My 5 year old, " Mommy, when are you going to get something else than 3rd place?"  I have only 3rd place medals and an 11th place medal.

Nichi

2010-01-14 3:38 PM

I have only finisher medals...so your little one should be very very proud of her mama. 3rd place is AWESOME!
If they had medals for one of the slowest, I would earn one ... but I am out there and enjoying it. Plodder, I am .... but healthier for it
You are an inspiration to those you stand for Nichi...good job!

Edited by arny 2010-01-14 3:39 PM
2010-01-14 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2614372

User image

Regular
Binghamton
nichip - 2010-01-14 2:33 PM

HI Team, people who motivate me.  I remember watching the Hoyt video before I decided to do triathlons and they certainly are motivating! 

I have a friend who does marathons and has lost 60 pounds while running.  She encourages me a lot in my exercising endeavors.

Another person is a former classmate of mine who was diagnosed with stage 3 esophageal cancer on 9/9/09.  He was given a 25% chance to live.  He has gone through 6 weeks of chemo and radiation, major surgery, and is now taking another series of chemo to keep the cancer from coming back.  He is cancer free!  I ran in the rain for an hour this fall on his behalf.  When I run, I think of other people that can't even get out and do it, but would like to and  that helps to get me going.  Oh, this person also has 6 kids(2 under 5) .   

My mom was also diagnosed with cancer when she was 42 which is my age.  I want to be as healthy as possible and I know that exercising is one part of the equation.  My mom was also diagnosed with breast cancer at 58.  She is cancer free today. 

My 5 year old, " Mommy, when are you going to get something else than 3rd place?"  I have only 3rd place medals and an 11th place medal.

Nichi

You bring a good point...those who can't get out and do what we all do.  When we lived in Washington good friends of ours middle son, the same age as our middle son got diagnosed with leukemia and  ended up having to go in two times and got through chemo and radiation twice.  he had 2 bone marrow transplants...he is only 9 now.  He is currently cancer free...but the family still stays conneted to the children's hospital where there spent the better part of 18 months. 

Just the other day, the mom (Vikki) called us and said there is a 10 year old boy that has been in the hospital for about a year and for some reason his parents have not been around much....I guess the poor little guy was up most nights crying and just a few days ago he told the nurses that he might as well just die because nobody thinks he is important.  He basically gave up his will to live.  Our kids heard this and sent him cards and my daughters class each made a card for him.  The nurses were hoping to fill his room with cards so he could see how special and important he was.....I say was because he passed away last evening.  For some reason this story has hit me really hard.  I have been thinking about the little boy - Steven most of week and when i got the email today I fought to hold back the tears at work. 

I am sharing just because I think this is something else that motivates me...the fact that I can do what I do.  The fact that God has blessed me with the ability and means to train and compete in a triathlon. 

Sorry for my ranting and hopefully you all understand.  Not sure what you all believe in regards to a higher being, but whatever you belief please ask for help for Steven's family through these difficult times.  Steven just finished his triathlon, but now his family must finish theres...without a teammate!

2010-01-14 9:30 PM

User image

frozen north till Spring
Depending on the week I have 10 one week and 15-20 the next
2010-01-15 5:44 AM

User image

Expert
About 10-15 per week. 
2010-01-15 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2614864

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
leclerc457 - 2010-01-14 5:11 PM

nichip - 2010-01-14 2:33 PM

Nichi

You bring a good point...those who can't get out and do what we all do.  When we lived in Washington good friends of ours middle son, the same age as our middle son got diagnosed with leukemia and  ended up having to go in two times and got through chemo and radiation twice.  he had 2 bone marrow transplants...he is only 9 now.  He is currently cancer free...but the family still stays conneted to the children's hospital where there spent the better part of 18 months. 

Just the other day, the mom (Vikki) called us and said there is a 10 year old boy that has been in the hospital for about a year and for some reason his parents have not been around much....I guess the poor little guy was up most nights crying and just a few days ago he told the nurses that he might as well just die because nobody thinks he is important.  He basically gave up his will to live.  Our kids heard this and sent him cards and my daughters class each made a card for him.  The nurses were hoping to fill his room with cards so he could see how special and important he was.....I say was because he passed away last evening.  For some reason this story has hit me really hard.  I have been thinking about the little boy - Steven most of week and when i got the email today I fought to hold back the tears at work. 

I am sharing just because I think this is something else that motivates me...the fact that I can do what I do.  The fact that God has blessed me with the ability and means to train and compete in a triathlon. 

Sorry for my ranting and hopefully you all understand.  Not sure what you all believe in regards to a higher being, but whatever you belief please ask for help for Steven's family through these difficult times.  Steven just finished his triathlon, but now his family must finish theres...without a teammate!

Thanks for sharing. What a tough situation. My dad is my inspiration truly for doing triathlons. He was diagnosedwith cancer when he was 39 and lived to be 41 before passing away. When he was diagnosed he was extremely obese and also an occassional smoker. I used to be overweight (obese) and as much as I love my dad, I don't want to die like that. I wanna see my kids grow up and be with my family. There is a lot in life I can't control but my health is something that I can sure affect either negatively or positively. So compete I do.

As a side note, one of the consolations I had after Dad passed away is that he didn't have to suffer through treatment anymore. The other is that I know he is in Heaven and much better off than we are. I can't wait to join him someday.
Scott
2010-01-15 10:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Well for the next part of your workouts,I would like you to take a look at the races you are doing that you consider your "A"races. WHat do you want to accomplish?Is it to win? Is it to finish? Is it a certain time? Is it to just keep a certain pace?? WHatever it is. Be specific about your goal (s). Alsoas you look at your goals I want you to consider your strengths and weaknesses.What are they specifically. Swimming isn't as good an example as saying that you need to work on breathing, sighting or your stroke...or maybe it is just comfidence. Whatever it is. Obviously from here we can start building meaningful workouts with purpose and direction. I hope this is coming together the way you want. If you have questions along the way please ask. Whatever works.I am just here to help.
2010-01-16 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2616905

Regular
FYI - sierratradingpost.com is having 50% off today and has lots of triathlon related gear for cheap!

Good timing on that question Scott, I have been getting ancy to pick out my races and get my plan started. That's todays quest, to figure out which races I will commit to.

2010-01-16 10:04 PM

User image

Expert
Races:
5/8/10  5/3 RiverbankRun "A"  25k- got a 2:06 last year for my first try,  shooting for sub-2hrs this year
6/27/2010  Block 58 Sprint Tri- "B"
7/11/2010  Grand Haven Tri-OLY "A" - trying to be in top half of my AG
8/7/2010 Fremont Sprint Tri "B"
10/10, 10/17, or 11/7/10  Marathon "A" (either Grand Rapids, Chicago, or New York)- Goal will be 3:30-3:35

I will probably a couple of 5ks in there as well, but I will decide those as my schedule unfolds.
2010-01-18 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Just wanted to let everyone know about a great Triathlon Symposium taking place in Indianapolis on March 13th.  I have gone to this the last 2 years and it's outstanding.  They have great guest speakers and there is a 60min indoor tri, a 6K 2 person relay race, 3 person stationary bike time trial, swim/bike/run assements programs and a ton of guest speakers.  I know this sounds like a plug for this event but I am not involved with it in anyway.  It's just an outstanding seminar for triathletes.  Scott Tinley was the guest speaker the first year.  It really got me motivated a couple years ago but the injury bug hit me and I was only able to do one sprint that year.  Having a 3rd child last year limited my racing to just running.  So this is the year.  Third time is a charm. 

In any case, here is the website if you are interested. http://www.racelistings.com/register/events/flyer.asp?ID=1113
2010-01-18 4:50 PM

re:races
I have tried to scheduele one per month...there were 2 months that have no road-run events or open water swim events that I can afford/get to. But other than that, it is monthly(to keep my butt off the couch, mostly~!).
The only event that matters falls at the end of August -- that is my "A" event
Happy training...
2010-01-18 8:07 PM

User image

Regular
Binghamton
I am planning on doing 3 sprints, one in April, May and June.  I found an Oly Tri in mid August that I would love to do but we will have to see how I am doing. 

Since i have never done one yet, I think they are all A as I want to do as good as i can.  My first on is a 400 yard swim, 8 ,mile bike and 5 k.  If i can finish in less than 1 hr 15 min i will be stoked!!  If i can complete the oly i will be excited!!!
2010-01-19 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Well honestly I have been holding off responding because we started with 10 people but it looks like we are at about half strength. So off we go anyway.

When looking at your training as it relates to your races, I personally like to work backwards. I put my A races down on a calendar for starters. I then know that the week before is going to be a taper week down to race day and the week after is basically a reverse taper. Two weeks before an A race you do not want to schedule any major workouts or huge long runs etc. From here your workouts should grow by about 10% for three weeks. The fourth should be a recovery week. I figure a recovery week is the same as week 1 plus 5%.

Let me put this a different way. Workouts should go in four week cycles. Week one at your current level, Week two is week 1 plus 10%, Week three is week 2+10%, Week 4 is week 1 +5%. Then week 5 starts the cycle over again Where the intensity is your previous week 1+10%. So the intensity would be by weeks - Week 1 - 0 (baseline), Week 2 - +10%, Week 3 - +20%, Week 4 - 5%, Week 5 - 10%, Week 6 - 20%, Week 7 - 30%, Week 8 - 15%, etc etc.

These seems difficult to explain in text so if I need to make this clearer please tell me.

Also at this point does anyone have any questions that you want help answering?? Please feel free to ask. So how is training going??

Scott

2010-01-19 2:55 PM

Hey Scott: I was wondering the same thing about the numbers. But I think it is like that in January for alot of folks. I notice this at spin class, too. At the start of Jan, I can barely get a bike and have to call really early am to reserve. But later on in Jan only the most popular classes are filled, and then by March...they run with empty bikes.

I don't want to be one of the only ones posting, so I often delay in response but I still check in very regularly...self conscious even on-line(silly but true).

Training went well over the weekend, but crummy the past two days...I have lots of things I want so much to accomplish, but no idea how to get there. I am, as we speak, wondering about online coaching. The kids are both swim racers and hubbie has done Ironman, too...so I am surrounded by successful athletes who seem to find it easy. My sedentary "hefalump" body rebels when I ask it to go too fast...I think my transmission is stuck!!(laughing). Anyway....

After I do my two 12 hour nights now, I am determined to get back to better training...

Here are the things I dream about accomplishing in the next 2 years
1. half marathon in under 2 hours(may 2010)
2. Ironman Penticton (and see the finish in dusk -- not complete darkness)
3. half marathon in fall 2010 in under 1:45
4. long term...100km in november one year...it is the "Haney to Harrison" and is a relay but also a solo option if support vehicle provided by runner.

I have been with BT for 2.5 years but still feel like I am a beginner in that I have lost SO much fitness and gained so much wt, that I have to start over again....argh!!

Hopefully we will get some others posting soon as the "busy-ness" of life slows down a bit
Ann
2010-01-19 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2622478

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Scott,

I am the same way as Ann.  I look at the website a lot but don't always post.  I really enjoy reading everything but don't always want to be the first to respond.   I put my A races in my signature.  Honestly, I would be happy if the only race I finished this year was the HIM.  I really love to run so running races will always be something I will do but the HIM is what will test my limits.  I'm not a swimming and will be really happy if I can get out of the water alive.  I would love to average 20mph on the bike and let the run just happen and enjoy it. 
2010-01-19 4:18 PM

Hey John:
Those are awesome goals. And I am totally with you on the times/speeds.

I went into IMC 2008 with those speeds and had an AWESOME day.

And...you know, about the swimming... I abhor the pool...my kids race and have certain poolside behaviours that I don't approve of so I can't swim at the same time....which limits already limited pool time and causes some friction, to say the least. BUT ~~ I LIVE for those long heavenly swims in the lakes.

Have you ever been swimming out on the lake on a gorgeous sunny day and just watched how the sun shines through the water to create underwater rainbows? Have you listened to the sound your hand makes on entry when it goes in smoothly and you know you are swimming well(ie calmly,not necesssarily fast....I do everything slowly -- laughing -- it's true...but I do get there...eventually). Or how about that feeling that you get when you calm yourself and listen to the even-ness of your breathing...it is hypnotic BUT you have to put yourself in that mindset. I can' t do it in the pool but I love those long swims outdoors. AND learning to find that calm place totally helps when you go into the water with a mass start(Ironman 2009 was 2500 mass swimmers start). Just learning to find that calm place in your mind makes those longer swims much better. I used to dread swimming, but once I got a perfect wet suit and learned to love the lake swims, things were way better. I do my time in the "people bucket"(the pool) in order to cherish my time in the lakes.

Hang in there with the swims!! It is totally worth it
2010-01-19 7:13 PM

User image

frozen north till Spring
i haven't really decided on which tri's to do there is one in august i want to do

i want to run the Disney world marathon next year

i have looked on the one website for this years calendar but nothing for 2010 yet
2010-01-19 7:19 PM

User image

frozen north till Spring
having computer issues i'll post more tomorrow

2010-01-19 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Ann,

You talk about swimming the way I talk about running.  No matter whats going on in my life, I can put on my running shoes and everything slips away.  Stress, fear, and even colds.  I love the sound that snow makes when it crunches under my feet or being completely alone in the early morning hours running by myself. 

Swimming has never felt that way.  Open water swims are even worse.  Stroke, stroke, breath, stroke, stroke,breath, stroke, don't die, stroke, breath, crap mouth full of water, stroke, cramp, breath.  But I understand what you mean. 
2010-01-19 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2622910

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Disney is a great marathon destination.  Mile 13-18 are boring and through the back roads with little support but it's really awesome everywhere else.  You come back into the park around mile 18 and the park is open by then.   Huge crowds cheering you on.  My favorite was running through animal kingdom.  When my kids get older, I plan on doing the goofy challenge. 

2010-01-19 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2622973

User image

Regular
Binghamton
ARGH!!!  work was crazy today...i could not sneak away for a run at lunch and after work had kid stuff!!!  homework and a sick one!

Hopefully i can swim tomorrow at lunch...then i have hockey at night. 

This week seems to be a struggle to get any workouts in....it is only tuesday and it is driving me nuts!!!

It is funny...you guys talking about running or swimming...that's how biking is for me....i can get on my bike and just ride....at least until i hit a wall...then i just wish i was home! 

It is amazing to see how running is starting to get easier....i ran Sunday a full 5k outside and i did not mind it...i was tired but enjoyed it way more than on the dreadmill! 

As far as swimming goes....well yesterday i swam a full 200 yards without stopping and it seemed that i was in a groove and felt like i could keep going...i didn't as I am following the 0-1650 swimming plan and didn't want to overdue it.  next week it is a straight 400 yards which is the disatance for my first tri!!!  I am just about being able to complete the distances for my first tri...which is in april...then i can work on getting faster!!!

any pointers on running faster....
2010-01-19 9:24 PM

We would be perfect to the a tri as a team!! We have one that loves each discipline...all the better to inspire each other and all the others too.

Cycling is my limiter...I love it....but I am so slow!!

Hang in there on the days when the workouts don't fit in...we are ultimately parents and family members first
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri for fun - Full up, closed Rss Feed  

of 21