BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-01-31 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2645623

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL!

Great job Lovey!!!!!!   I couldn't even imagine doing 13.1 miles right now.  You did great!! 

2010-01-31 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2600896

User image

Arcata, CA
Lovey, great job!  Your race report has really encouraed me for my 5k run next Saturday. You truly are a star!!!!!!!!!!
2010-01-31 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Tough stuff Lovey!! I can only hobble through 8 miles right now and no way would I finish out in the snow. GREAT JOB!!

Laura--you are officially signed up for the ironman Y challenge. Will have to get your address at the end of the month for the t-shirt. I ordered a medium--if that's not okay, let me know soon. The funny thing is I didn't know your real name so you are enrolled as Enkidu Kat

We tried out the Onalaska Y and I like it better than LaCrosse. They have a big water slide and a game room for the kids and an indoor track around the fitness center.

According to the Y:

Spinning or group cycling class 45 minutes = 12 miles bike
30 minutes = 8 miles bike

Swimming 2.4 miles = 4224 yards or 84.5 laps in a 25 yard pool length
YMCA water exercise class = 8.5 laps

Running can be done on the treadmills, outside with group runs, or laps on the indoor track (10.5 laps = 1 mile)

OR the ellipticals with mileage can be counted as well.

How are your legs Anne?? How is your husband's back?? Do I need to road trip to Ohio to fix you guys up?
2010-01-31 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
The husband- improving! Was able to do some laps, and today rode on the computrainer. He will do another shot to continue the healing in another week. We are very encouraged.

His best tri bud was over last night, and he has a coach and is training for an Ironman....Mike had a hard time and got pretty grumpy talking about it.

My legs are sore today- man I must have twisted just about everything from the waist down! BUT I am fine. I rode a nice, long, slow ride on my regular trainers today- I will run tomorrow.
So our challenge- just for this Forum- is that some of us are choosing to do the HalfIronman mileage or Full Ironman mileage this month.

Again, for the Full, see above posts; just split all that in Half if you are doing the half distance. I'm going for the HIM- we'll see how close I get to the Full distances. Maybe that will push me to get back in the pool once a week!

Phoenix, oh I would love to have a chiropractor just hop on in. I normally like to get adjusted post-birth to help the hips and pelvis back into place. I used to work for a chiropractor- loved him. During my pregnancy with my oldest daughter he would adjust me @ T5 to alleviate morning sickness. So awesome.
2010-01-31 4:07 PM

User image

Arcata, CA
Thanks Phoenix!  A medium t-shirt will be great.  I'm laughing so hard at you enrolling me as Enkidu Kat   I'll pm you my address, and I will need yours as well to send you the $5 fee.  I am looking forward to this, I think it may be just the jump start I am needing.
2010-01-31 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Question:

I have my major triathlon, Iron Girl Women's Sprint on August 22nd. Its a .62 mile swim (1100 yds), 17.5 mile bike and 3.4 mile run. Its longer tham most sprint.

I plan to do a sprint in June or July to help boost my confidence. I had 4 to choose from but eliminated two because I would have to overnight it or drive 2 to 3 hours to get there the morning of the race. Now I am left with two:

The Celebration Sprint on June 27th - Its a .62 mile swim (1100 yds), 17.5 mile bike and 3.4 mile run. Its the same race directors and exact course as Iron Girl except that this race is coed.
This is a lake swim with both hilly bike and run courses.

The new INAUGURAL Washington DC Triathlon on June 20th. - .8k swim, 20k bike and 6.7k run.
In miles that's .50 mile swim, 12.4 mile bike and 4.2 mile run. This race is organized by the same group who organize the very big and very popular Nations Triathlon. The swim and bike are a little shorter but the run is longer. This is a river swim, flat bike course with 180' turns and run course that's supposed to be mostly flat but has two steep climbs.

Would it be better to do a race (Celebration) on the same course as the one I will be doing?
Would it be better to try a different race for a fresh start?

Does it matter or am I just freaking out?
I was waiting for the new tri details before I made my decision.

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-01-31 10:21 PM

2010-02-01 6:07 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Lovey,  I would think that you should look for a smaller sprint to start with in June before the August "A" tri.  Both of the ones you listed seem a bit ambitious.  The same course one I would avoid because of the coed factor. That will give a whole different feel to the tri, very competitive those boys are.  The other one is a little better but still a little longer than a regular sprint.  Have you gone to www.trifind.com to see if there are any others that might be around.  If not, I'd go for the second one that you listed. 

2010-02-01 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
How big is the river? Is it a smaller tributary, or a major river? I ask because a lake swim is much better for a beginner, or someone trying to get their confidence up, than a river swim. In a river swim you have to contend with currents, and often debris. Not so in a lake.

I also would search for something smaller, even a mini-tri at a local Y, before your "A" race.
2010-02-01 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
If you can't find a smaller race to start with then, I would do the one that is the same as the Iron Girl.  That way you are already familiar with the course and know what to work on etc.  What one person describes as rolling hills could be monster mountains (I've been there) and just the general feeling of knowing where you are going to be putting your stuff etc, would make me feel more relaxed when it came time for my "A" race.  Even though it's co-ed I would do it with just a "I'm here to get relaxed and figure everything out attitude, ignore the boys!"

I'm back from a week of skiing in Colorado.  On our flight home Saturday, I was making plans to get right back into training.  I had big intentions of getting up and going for a run on Sunday and swimming this morning.  I was going to get right back into it.  Unfortunately my body had other plans, I don't know if I picked up a bug or if it was something I ate, but by Sunday morning I was up with the stomach flu.  By the afternoon I was able to keep things down, but have not eaten much and am feeling really weak today.  I spent most of yesterday sleeping and came into work today, but I'm still allowing myself some time off to relax.  I ate breakfast this morning, but still feel drugged out and dizzy.  Hoping another night of some good sleep and I'll be back to normal.  (The best laid plans ugh!)

I'm thinking I'll try to join you on your HIM for the month plan.  The swimming and running  I should be able to fit in, but I don't have a trainer and definitely won't be getting outside to bike.  We do have some spinning and recumbant bikes at the gym, so I'll try doing the 45 minutes = 12 mile thing.  Our spin bikes are located in a small hallway with a tv (no classes or anything) and the tv only has a VHS tape connected to it.  I've been looking on eBay for a spinning tape, but most of them are DVD's.  I did find one but they wanted more in shipping than they did for the actual tape. 

2010-02-02 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Hi ladies!  I'm back from my trip to New Orleans and headed to Pittsburgh tomorrow.  Oh the life of an admissions counselor!

I didn't get much done in my week away as my logs will show- but the program we put on was a huge success and that's what matters most.  I hope to get back into my program today- I had a long travel day on Sunday and was super groggy and stuffy yesterday. 

There were some questions about running in snow. I suggest Yak Traks.  They are like chains for your shoes- you can use them hiking as well.   

I love the idea of the HIM challenge. I think I'll do that as I've got a lot of travel coming up.  And the BIG news is that I am an auntie!  My BF's sister had her baby Friday- 10lbs, 8 oz, 22 inches.  We hope she plays for the Bears someday   We are headed to see her next weekend in SF. 

Looks like everyone has been doing well keeping up with their workouts. I'm proud of you gals!
2010-02-02 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Quick notes before my oldest gets home from school and everyone wakes up from naps....

Today was one of those days where NOTHING has gone as planned. I'm currently waiting for the baby to wake up from a very long nap so she can eat and I can get on the bike. Any workout today will be a HUGE accomplishment!

My oldest has bronchitis and a sinus infection. The baby got 3 shots today and one oral vaccine and she is HUGE, so very long at 24.5 inches it is not even on the chart! And she is 13 and a half pounds!!! And the two and a half year old moved into a booster seat today- I cried a little- she is getting so big!

Okay, I have to go clean my family room before everyone wakes up/gets home. This week is just crazy for us....

I'll try to hop on here later and post a list of who is doing our challenge, and what distance they picked.

2010-02-02 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I remember mine kids when they were babies. My 11 year old was 8lbs 3oz and 22.t inches long at birth. He was at 13lbs at 6 weeks. He was so tall and big he moved from an infant seat to the next size at 6 months.
2010-02-03 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
3 days late....but here we go:

February FancyPants Mentor Group Challenge: Ironman or HalfIronman distances
complete the swim, bike, and run distances in one month

Ironman Distance Participants:
2.4 mile swim (84.5 laps in a 25 yd pool)
112 mile bike
26.2 mile run

phoenix
enkidu (Laura)
Jo

Half Ironman Distance participants:
1.2 mile swim (42.25 laps in a 25 yd pool)
56 mile bike
13.1 mile run

Lovey
Anne
kziemer
Ginny
Ali
Cynthia

Remember the hints from Phoenix's Y:
Spinning or group cycling class 45 minutes = 12 miles bike
30 minutes = 8 miles bike

Swimming 2.4 miles = 4224 yards or 84.5 laps in a 25 yard pool length (1 lap is down and back)
YMCA water exercise class = 8.5 laps

I swim in a 25 meter pool, so for me, 1650 meters=1 mile

Edited by AKR18 2010-02-04 7:49 AM
2010-02-03 8:33 AM

User image

Raleigh, NC
I'll do the half ironman challenge!

I'm actually going to be a good bit behind because of this stupid snow.  North Carolinian's don't know what do with it!

The first day that it was safe to get out on the roads was Monday night...so I drove to the Y for my 6:30 spinning class and as I walk in the greeter tells me they are closing in 30 minutes!  I figure that my class my still be meeting, but no such luck.  I was so bummed that I didn't even try to work out like I should've.  I just went on home.

Now last night I made up for it with a cycle class and a 1400yd swim, but I still feel like a bum for not having worked out Fri-Mon.  Ah!
2010-02-03 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Ali, I added you the HIM list.

I packed my swim bag, got a bottle pumped and ready, and then realized today was not the day to try and take the 2 month old to the Y child care so I could swim- she's running a low fever and is cranky after vaccinations yesterday. So, maybe tomorrow??? I will get to run indoors ON A TREADMILL this weekend - we are staying at a hotel Friday and Saturday night down in Cincinnati, visiting family.

I need to get this childcare thing figured out...>I need to run more than I am right now in order to build up for the two marthon relays. And Mike is back to training, so our morning schedules are crazy.

Hope everyone else is having a good week!
2010-02-03 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2651867

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I am in the HIM challenge. I know I will most likely exceed the HIM swim and run just not confident about the bike part. If half way thru the month, I am close to finishing the HIM challenge, can I move to the IM challenge? Or just aim for it, at least?

2010-02-03 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Lovey- you can always aim for the IM distance. I just wanted to stick everyone under an area to get us started.
2010-02-03 10:40 PM

User image

Master
Anne, put me down the the HIM... if I were starting the month healthy I'd think, no prob, I can reach that and more, but I'm still fighting this cold and will be on vacation of 11 days, so I'll aim for the half and see where I get.  Likely I'll miss the bike goal unless there is a spinner at the condo.  Should (knock wood) be healthy soon and able to meet the other two goals.

-Cynthia
2010-02-04 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Hey Gals-

I'm going to disappear for a few days- we are leaving tomorrow morning for a long weekend in Cincinnati. I have an edlerly grandma to visit, then my nephew's second birthday party, and lots of visits with family and friends. I am still hoping to get a few workouts in- bike and run- as we will be staying at a hotel. But, it may just end up being time off with the family.

I ran today on a treadmill in my friend's basement. It is hard to convince myself to drag both kids to our Y just for one swim per week; add in the idea that I need to run more, and I'm panicked. I am trying to convince my husband to buy me a used treadmill from Craigslist. WIsh me luck- we are lowballing all the ones pretty badly so I'm doubtful. But it sure would be nice to have the option of running OR biking during naptime.

Everyone have a good weekend!
2010-02-04 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
FORGOT....

The husband says HFP racing is doing women's tris on Saturdays before the main races on Sundays. Most of these are a mini-sprint, but it's nice because it is recognizing that a lot of women do not enter this sport because the racing with the men can be tough. I also like the shortened distance because it will introduce tris to a lot of people and hopefully get them into the sport. I'm planning on doing the mini women's on the Saturday before Maumee Bay (a relay I'm doing on Sunday).

I also got Mike working on a training plan. I feel totally sunk and lost trying to plan for these two relay distances- I basically need a 10k plan that I can adapt.....he told me I have to run 3 days a week and I went YIKES....How am i going to do this????
2010-02-04 4:46 PM

User image

Arcata, CA

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can someone explain shifting gears on a bike to me?  It may be a silly question, and I mean, I know how to physically change the gears but when should I choose to be in each gear?  What gear should I be on when I'm going up a hill vs. down a hill?  I've just been leaving it in gear whatever and riding with it, but I assume it would be advantageous to understand the gear shifting process.  HELP!

2010-02-05 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2655783

User image

Master
I am by no means a bike expert, but what I understand is that you should shift gears to try to maintain your cadence at the same rpm.  So pick your crusing gear that has your RPMS high and comfortable.  Then when you hit an uphill, shift to an easier gear to keep your legs moving and vice versa on the downhill.

I'm open to being corrected   but that's my basic understanding of the system.

I checked a couple biking books out from the library last year and picked up a few odds and ends of useful knowledge just poking through them.  parts of the books were way beyond my interest level, but other bits helped me understand that two-wheeled contraption.

-Cynthia
2010-02-05 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2651762

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
Add me in for the Ironman challenge, please
2010-02-05 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2652441

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
I remember putting up the baby swing next to the Nordic Track when my kids were babies.  It would buy just enough time for a short workout
2010-02-05 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I am no expert either but here goes.

The gear shifters on the left operate your three big gears at the front of the bike, usually 1-2-3. Some bike, like road bikes just have 3 markings or dots. 1 is your easiest and the smallest of the three.

The tight gear shifter, usually 1 thru 6, 1 thru 7 or 1 thru 8 operate the small gears on the back of the bike. If your bike has 1 thru 7 on the right shifter like my hybrid, you will have 7 gears in the back. 1 is the easiest and its the biggest of the 6, 7, 8 gears you have in the back

So 3 big gears up front, 7 in the back gives you a 21 speed bike. 1 is the easiest and it gets harder as you go up.

SMALL GEARS (back): After setting your big gear, this is where you do most of your adjusting until so you can get a comfortable riding pace.

BIG GEARS (front): You don't change the front 3 gears as often. Most people are in gear 2 most of the time.
If you are going up a hill, you need less resistance. Use gear 1 in the front while adjusting the back gears down until you find a comfortable pace. If you are spinning too fast because the hill is not so steep, keep the front gear at 2. I ride hills
If you are on a flat road, you need more resistance. You can either 1)ride in your 2nd front gear and adjust the back gear to a higher number OR 2) change the front to gear 3 and adjust the back gear to a lower numer. I usualy do option 2.

Go out and ride and practice changing your gears.

NOTE:
DO NOT change both gears at the same time, change one side, pedal a few strokes to make it click then change the next side.

DO NOT do extreme gears (my name for it), you can either cause a kink in your chain or drop your chain. Extreme gear is when you are in your easiest gear on both fron and back (1 and 1) or your hardest gear front and back (3 and 6/7/8) at the same time. If you have a 21 speed bike and you are in the front gear 1, then the lowest on the back gear should be 2 or higher.

I hope I helped and didn't confuse you more.

Lovey

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  

of 29