BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2010-04-29 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2772633

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full
I can currently run a 5K in about a 12 minute Pace, I am able to run a mile in under 10:00 which was a big deal for me since I have always hated running.   Since training I have only put in about 7-8 runs, before I decided to do Tri I was using elliptical for cardio and biking when warm.  I am pretty new to working out in general (I have been lazy for about 10 years), but need this to help me stay healthy for my kids.

I have not timed myself going all out for 5K yet and was wondering what a realistic goal for a 5K distance should be for me.  I would like to think by the time I get to my event in July I could cover 5K in 30:00 minutes but don't want to set the bar too high and fail.  At the same time I don't want it to low.  I have not trained for anything like this before and don't know what to expect.

I see some impressive paces in your training logs and makes me wonder what I may potentially be able to do by year's end.  Not expecting to run up front for sure.  

Not sure there is an actual question in there somewhere but but looking for general thoughts about setting pace goals for a very new runner.

2010-04-29 7:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Thanks Warren.  Hopefully my first fall will be in my driveway with no one looking.  That being said I am sure my 2nd and 3rd will be at a busy intersection with lots of eyes on me.
2010-04-29 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2827244

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
My first fall was my first time out with the pedals.   I was in front of the house, clipped in the left foot but had the pedal at the bottom, so obviously I was not moving.  Lifted my right foot and clipped right in.  Yup, forgot that I to be moving in order not to fall.  In super slow motion I went down to the left - landed right in the middle of the street with both feet still clipped in.  Luckily I live on a pretty quiet street so there were no cars and it was on a weekday so there were no witnesses.

I badly bruised both shins/calves/thighs on various components and parts of the bike including the water bottle holders.  I also managed to bruise my palms and forearms as I twisted landed with both arms down. 

I was lucky not to have broken anything.  About a week later, I was out on bike ride our town hosts each year.  We stopped to help someone who had a flat.  I unclipped my right foot, left foot still clipped in.  I turned to look over my left shoulder and down I went again.  Bruise on bruise.  Not that I learned my lesson after two tries,  I was out on a bike path with my son who asked me to stop for a second.  Got stopped and unclipped my right foot, left one still clipped in.   Looked over my left shoulder but luckily this time was able to get my left foot unclipped as the bike went down - more bruises on bruises.  I think I had bruises for close to two months.

It has been a while now that I have not fallen but I get heart palpitations every time I have to stop.  I unclip way in advance and always make sure that if I have one foot clipped in that I turn to look over the shoulder that is not clipped in.  I hope I never wipe out again but am not so cocky to think I won't.  Just hope that when it happens I don't get hit by a car or break something.
2010-04-29 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2827250

User image

NH
chmoore2 - 2010-04-29 7:58 PM I can currently run a 5K in about a 12 minute Pace, I am able to run a mile in under 10:00 which was a big deal for me since I have always hated running.   Since training I have only put in about 7-8 runs, before I decided to do Tri I was using elliptical for cardio and biking when warm.  I am pretty new to working out in general (I have been lazy for about 10 years), but need this to help me stay healthy for my kids.

I have not timed myself going all out for 5K yet and was wondering what a realistic goal for a 5K distance should be for me.  I would like to think by the time I get to my event in July I could cover 5K in 30:00 minutes but don't want to set the bar too high and fail.  At the same time I don't want it to low.  I have not trained for anything like this before and don't know what to expect.

I see some impressive paces in your training logs and makes me wonder what I may potentially be able to do by year's end.  Not expecting to run up front for sure.  

Not sure there is an actual question in there somewhere but but looking for general thoughts about setting pace goals for a very new runner.

It's tough to make goals too far out when you're starting out.  You can really improve quickly, or you may run into issues which could slow your training.   Also remember that 5k in July will be after a swim and a bike.  It's very different to run a 5k after a 800 yard swim and a 16 mile bike.  Or do you mean the 5k run only event in June?

I wouldn't worry too much about having a goal time for your first tri - just have fun and give it all you have.  Or as the date gets closer, maybe do a race (or near race) distance bike/run brick and see how you feel.  That will give you a reasonable target.
2010-04-29 7:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
How many days do you think I should wait to be pain free before I start adding walking back into my workouts?  Notice I said walking since I figure I have to be able to do that for a while without pain before I can even try running again.
2010-04-29 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2827250

User image

Master
chmoore2 - 2010-04-29 6:58 PM I....

Charlie,
I agree that is it hard to set goals on your first time, especially after the swim and bike. My advice-go out and run it. Try to save a little for the end, you want to feel good at the finish. I know that I prefer having a little left rather than not being able to run to the finish.

Learning to pace yourself will take time.

That being said, if you get consistent in your running, I don't see why you can't do a 30 min 5k. Just be careful to avoid injury on the way there and train smart! 

2010-04-29 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2827300

User image

Master
Fechter99 - 2010-04-29 7:37 PM How many days do you think I should wait to be pain free before I start adding walking back into my workouts?  Notice I said walking since I figure I have to be able to do that for a while without pain before I can even try running again.

Randi,
I am not sure WHICH will cause less pain, running or walking. I get sore walking in the Disney parks.
I would say if you have 2 or 3 days pain free, you can give it a go. However, do the stretching and some kind of active warm up first.
I personally like to to squats to warm up my legs, just 10 or so to get the juices flowing! 
2010-04-29 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2827333

User image

NH
eliwashere - 2010-04-29 9:04 PM  However, do the stretching and some kind of active warm up first.
I personally like to to squats to warm up my legs, just 10 or so to get the juices flowing! 

x2.  My ART guy got me doing active warm up before running, and it made a huge difference.  It's not a big drawn out process, but just a few minutes to do some dynamic stretches and get your muscles warm like Eli says.

And after reading all the training plans and winter workouts, I also spend a lot more time warming up and cooling down during my actual training runs/rides/swims.
2010-04-30 6:07 AM
in reply to: #2827440

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
wbayek - 2010-04-29 10:28 PM

x2.  My ART guy got me doing active warm up before running, and it made a huge difference.  It's not a big drawn out process, but just a few minutes to do some dynamic stretches and get your muscles warm like Eli says.

What specific things do you do for active warmup?
2010-04-30 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
My first time failing to clip out was on a hill. I was quickly losing momentum and realized that I needed to stop to walk. Then I realized that I needed to take my feet out of the pedals in order to stop, then I saw the ground coming up...almost too much to think about before I hit the ground. I did a big ride about 10 years ago and was so afraid of repeating myself on an infamous hill that I clipped out at the bottom and walked up.

As for how long to rest your shins...walking is a great start - but the second it starts to hurt - back off. x2 on the active warm-ups...the more you stretch your calves, the better it will feel.
2010-04-30 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2827685

User image

NH
Fechter99 - 2010-04-30 7:07 AM
wbayek - 2010-04-29 10:28 PM

What specific things do you do for active warmup?

I do about 10 lunges per leg, then 10 forward kicks where I touch my toes at about chest height to stretch hamstrings, then 10-20 steps running in place with exaggerated kick backs to stretch quads,  then 10 weird ones where I lift my knee and then move it to the outside (to activate ITB and hip/buttock muscles), and then another weird one where I walk on the inside and outside of my feet (for ankle flexion).  I have ankle and ITB issues, so those last few are specific to my issues but probably wouldn't cause problems.

The idea of the stretching isn't really to "stretch" in the classic sense, but just to get the legs warm and "wake them up" after they've been tightening due to either sleeping or sitting on my butt at work.

2010-04-30 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2828134

User image

Master
I used the Core performance and core performance endurance books from the library to get good ideas about active warmups and stretching.
I think they are hugely helpful, and have some nice basic warmups to do. I think they call it "movement prep" 
2010-04-30 4:23 PM

User image

NH
If anyone has any soft tissue problems, check the AthletesTreatingAthletes link out.  Leigh, my Pt and coach, is starting a website with lots of great stuff about how to help you understand soft tissue issues and keep yourself training and off the sidelines.
2010-04-30 5:16 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Another good run today!  I got some new shoes today, my first real running store fit to me shoes!  They are Mizuno something or anothers (Wave rider 12), and feel very good.  A little soreness on the outside of my foot that went away after about 15 min.  probably a part of the break in period. 

I got biopsy news back and for test #1 the news is good, no lymphoma as of now, one more test to go then the ultimate good news.  I will probably know next Wednesday for sure.  This time is really aggravating because I can't wait to get back in the pool!  Everybody is looking great!  Keep up the awesome work!

Dave.

Edited by outlawdave316 2010-04-30 5:32 PM
2010-04-30 7:09 PM

User image

NH
Awesome news Dave. We'll keep you in our prayers. Let's hear more good news Wednesday!
2010-04-30 10:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Good News Dave,   Been thinking of you.  Hopefully the news next week is as good.

2010-05-01 8:08 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Great news Dave. Glad the shoes worked out too! We'll be thinking positive thoughts for Wednesday.

Have a great weekend all!
2010-05-01 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Very good news, Dave. Best thoughts going forward!

I finally got out for a long ride on my bike!! It wasn't the best ride, but it was a good start. I hope to get a 9 mile run in tomorrow, but it will be hard as we're celebrating my MIL's birthday.

Enjoy the weekend, everyone!
2010-05-02 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Hey All,
How is the weekend going?
Got in an extra long ride yesterday and then spent the rest of the day prepping and priming my daughters room at our new place. Nice recovery stairs to the apt.
Nothing so far today, but not giving up yet. Maybe a swim later if I can figure out who can watch my daughter.

How are the rest of you doing this weekend? 
2010-05-02 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
This weekend has been pretty full for me.  Saturday I coached a kindergarten Soccer game, my son score 2 goals and was thrilled.  This is a fun time to coach them as there is no pressure on me the coach.  Just need to make sure they are having fun.

After that my eldest son celebrated his 8th birthday with a bunch of friends at an indoor skate park.  I would bet my house they all slept well last night.

Then my youngest played the last. part of his Triathlon by playing a T-ball game in the evening.  (soccer, skateboarding, and baseball).

Saturday is my scheduled rest day, not sure I could have trained even if I wanted to.

Today I put my running shoes on and ran pretty hard for me.  Did 3 miles, at an 11:45 pace which includes my walking warm-up and cool down.  The middle of the run was 2 10 minutes miles, first one straight, the last part I sprinted for 1 minute than walked/ran for 2:00.   Pretty happy with that.

I then through in a couple of quick 4 mile rides to go back and forth to my son's 2nd T-ball game of the weekend.

Officially tired now.

Hope everybody is having a great weekend.
2010-05-02 3:52 PM

User image

NH
Sounds busy Charlie, in a good way.  I did a longish ride to the beach yesterday and then a run off the ride.  The run felt great which surprised me a little.  On the bike I worked on actually using the aerobars out in the world.  It went well on the roads with nice shoulders,  but I still stay on the hoods or drops on the windy country roads which I typically ride on.

I'm not sure if I'll get anything in today, I'm hoping a run later.  It's been a crazy weekend, with a close friend going through a totally random tragedy.

It's also beastly hot in New Hampshire today - it's actually over 90 even now at 5 PM!  Crazy.  I leave for a golf vacation tomorrow, so I really want to get a run in today and an early ride before I go.

2010-05-02 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Eli - I'm sure the daughter will appreciate the room...I just wish I could figure out how to count DIY and housework as workout time.

Charlie - your weekend sounds great! Hope all the kids had fun.

Warren - you too! Nice brick work. Enjoy the golf.

Saturday, I got a great bike in outside (for the second time this year), with the disappointment of a repeat of a bike issue I have been having since I started doing triathlons. (which ultimately means I need a new bike...but it's not in the cards until the end of this year/early next year). Saturday after the bike ride we had opening season for my daughter's softball team (my husband is the coach), and then off to horseback riding lessons (I got to take the dog for a run during the lessons - which I always enjoy).

Today, just got a quick run in...trying really hard to taper before next weekend's race - but it's hard for me to stop driving myself.

Hope all is well and everyone is healthy.
2010-05-02 7:18 PM

User image

Expert
I rode Saturday and ran today. I did 8.4 miles outdoors in my new shoes with taped toes and lots of bodyglide on the instep of my right foot with much success! No blisters or pain at all. The toes were white and puffy from not being able to breathe the whole time, but no harm done. I think these shoes will do the trick!

Ugh. I don't feel like going in to work tomorrow...
2010-05-02 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2831915

User image

Master
trysprintolympic - 2010-05-02 7:18 PM  
Ugh. I don't feel like going in to work tomorrow...

x2 
2010-05-03 4:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
No workouts for me this weekend, just work around the house but that's okay.  Shins are doing good, just a bit of an achy feeling so I am still taking it easy because even lots of standing/walking seems to hurt after a while. 

It was definitely too hot out there for a bike ride - over 90 and humid all weekend.   Hopefully I will be able to get a decent ride in on Wednesday when I am off.  Today my older son gets his braces on lower teeth so that messes up my morning.  Maybe if the weather clears up,  he and I can go for a ride after his appointment.

I should have taken advantage of not being able to sleep and went to the gym but no one would know where I was so I don't like doing that.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full Rss Feed  

of 25