BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-04-25 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
Congrats in the AG win!!!

That is a SUPER fast pace for a 5k in a tri. Well done!

2010-04-25 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2814863

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Mike... that is superb!  

Quick note to say that my race went well this morning.  Had to leave early so not sure how I did in placing (this is not something that I typically have to think about... lol), but generally a good race.  1.27 something was the time and it was a pretty challenging course with some good hills and in wet conditions.  I'll have a better sense when I find out my relative positioning... first time doing this course, so I have nothing to compare with.  Bike felt strong (for me), run was okay considering I did 8 miles yesterday.  Swim was a good experience for a pool swim (no log jams for me), but I don't think it was one of my better swims. 

Race report after I see the results on line.  Would you believe I forgot my Garmin, so I have no idea what my splits were (and that was kind of an interesting experience... just did it and didn't think about the pace).

Have a good Sunday everyone... I'm off to a recital and then this week's course starts.

-Stu
2010-04-25 7:26 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Fat, drunk, and stupid...

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Animal House

"Fat, drunk, and jet-lagged is no way to taper for a race."  - Mark

Like Michael, I am now back as well.  I took the kids across the country to spend a week in CA. We went to the SD Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Disneyland, etc...  Though I probably walked 5 miles a day, I was definitely in vacation mode and ate / drank more than I normally do.  I haven't dared a scale yet, but it wouldn't surprise me to see 4-5 extra pounds...

When I planned today's 5k race, I thought that I would be over the jetlag from yesterday's flight.  Silly me...

I did manage to break 29 mins, but it wasn't pretty.  At least it was a good warmup for my first tri in 2 weeks. 

I'll work on my race report later tonight. 

Also, Phil, great job on passing the century mark!!!
Mike, congratulations to you, too!

- Mark

2010-04-25 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
After seeing the final results, I'm much happier with my performance.   Overall I was 85 out of 318 and 69 out of 176 for men.  This is a vast improvement over last year.  Swim is still my relative strength, but my bike segment was only 10 positions lower than swim (swim was 49th, bike was 59th).  I've never been anywhere near that before.  Also was 11th in T2 finish... lol.  If this had been a lake swim and I hadn't run 8 miles yesterday, I feel certain I would have moved up 10 or 15 places.  But no worries... this was a really strong race for me.  I've never finished in the top half of the male finishers and I easily accomplished that in this race.  Not too bad for the old guy - a great way to start race season for my 50th year!  Cool beans!

Here is the race report.

I know I've said it a few times before, but I really appreciate all the advice and support on here.  It's made a big difference in my performance.  Thanks all (and especially Michael).

-Stu

Edited by juneapple 2010-04-26 7:14 AM
2010-04-25 8:18 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great job racers!

Beautiful here today. Ride, yard work, nap, more yard work....cookies

Randy

2010-04-26 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Stu, great race report. Outsourcing transitions sounds like a terrific idea to meSmile.  You really cranked it on the bike- 18.5 mph over 15 miles in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mtns is hammering.  Nice work!! 

2010-04-26 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Great race Stu. Outsourcing T1! that's too funny. I hear of outsourcing at work almost daily, but at a sports event that's a first.
18.5M/hour on bike, can't wait to see what you'll do with clipless.

With everyone starting their races I'm itching to get my first one in, unfortunately I have to wait till June.
2010-04-26 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hello everyone.  Congrats to all racers!

I ended up offline this weekend for my Dad's combined 70th birthday and retirement party, for which I had to cook.

I'm combing through the posts right now...
2010-04-26 2:22 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Well, the race reports and comments all made me really smile.  I love to see preparation paying off. You guys are awesome.

I'm in taper mode now.  I did a 'reminder' OWS on Saturday and my last long run yesterday.  Unfortunately, I spent something like 16 hours total on Friday and Saturday on my feet cooking a fancy French meal for 30 people (for my Dad's combined 70th birthday and retirement party).  As a result, my bum knee has acted up.  I really felt it at the end of the run yesterday.  I'm desperately hoping that staying off it this week will lead to good things on Saturday....

I successfully pawned all of the rich French food onto family members, so at least I won't have that around the house to tempt me all week!

2010-04-26 3:47 PM

User image

Veteran
DC
Mark, nice work on tackling the 5K jet lag and all. 

Thanks to all for your kind words and encouragement.  It's great having a group to share achievements and training with.

Mike
2010-04-26 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Great racing everyone! Reading all the race reports is getting me all geeked up for my first outdoor tri. Got a 4 mile run in this morning followed by a swim. My second swim session back was pretty good. Being thinner and wearing tri shorts really makes a difference.  

Michael, you'll be happy I'm getting in a 2 hours on the bike tonight per your advice. I'm a little concerned, but it makes sense to cut back on the run a little and add a long ride.  

Phil

2010-04-26 5:21 PM
in reply to: #2808885

User image

Expert
StlPhil - 2010-04-21 10:25 PM Well, signed up for a tri. I guess it counts it's at a local rec plex. A 500m swim (pool), 21 mile bike ride and 5 mile run on June 20th. Excited, but a little nervous. The 5 mile run following the bike is a little concerning. I thought I mis-read it at first look. I was thinking it was a 5k, but it's 5 miles. Better start doing some bricks.

Got a 10k run in this morning and bike this evening. Still having problems getting to the pool. That needs to change. Especially now.

BTW Crushed the 100lb. mark today 223.7. Next stop 185. Actually, cutting back on my running miles has really helped. It's made my apetite easier to manage.

Phil

That is awesome! Congratulations.
2010-04-26 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2814863

User image

Expert
Stone Cutter - 2010-04-25 11:06 AM Good morning all,

Well my first triathlon was a success- I won my AG!  I was thinking I might be able to crack the Top 5 if I raced it, but no way did I think I was going to win.  Two things happened: one; I ran a lot faster than I'd expected to, and two; I caught a huge break in that there were no super fast guys in my age group.   I think my final time was in the high one hour, one minute range with a 300m swim at about 5:50, the 11 mile bike at just over 20mph, and my '5k' (it was shorter than 3.1 miles) pace at about 6:50/mile. My transition times were those of a first timer (high).   Last year my time would probably have gotten me fifth in my age group...I guess the speedsters moved up or stayed home this year. 

I will post a race report once the results are posted online (I was too excited about winning to have written down my times).  One thing I will note now- pool races are a real challenge.  Even though this was a 50m pool, there were still plenty of log jams.  Also, running in a triathlon is incredibly different than regular running...my legs felt really heavy and odd for the first 1/2 mile+.

Now it's time to heal up the shins and calves so that I can start a long-term, injury-free period of training.  To say that I'm hooked on triathlon would be an understatement!

That's awesome! Great job.  Impressive time on the 5k
2010-04-26 5:34 PM

User image

Expert
Stu- great race! I love the idea of outsourcing T1. It could save me a heck of a lot of time!
2010-04-26 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Hey guys- sorry for the absence.
Your race reports are all incredibly inspiring!

Went to ortho on Friday. He still has no answer for the nerve tenderness in my foot. xray confirmed that I did break my toe a few weeks ago. He gave me clearance to start the elliptical next week. I can start doing a little running in 2 weeks.

So for now, I'm still doing a little biking, some swimming and the pool running. I'm not sure how this is going to affect my season. There's a race in early August that I want to do ( did it last year). It's the most challenging of the courses I've ever done- so I'll see if it's possible.

One thing I've noticed with my bike...All winter long I used my flat bar Coda. Now I've switched to the road bike, and it seems like a different set of leg muscles are fatiguing faster. Does that make sense? Or, is it just because I've been off the bike for 5 weeks?
2010-04-26 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2818053

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slow turtle - 2010-04-26 6:41 PM

One thing I've noticed with my bike...All winter long I used my flat bar Coda. Now I've switched to the road bike, and it seems like a different set of leg muscles are fatiguing faster. Does that make sense? Or, is it just because I've been off the bike for 5 weeks?

Probably both.  5 weeks is enough time to get de-trained a good bit.  The good news is that it takes less time to get it back than it took to get there in the first place. So with consistent training, you'll be back to where you were in no time.

There could be a significant enough change between the two that there are also muscular differences, or (more likely), differences in how the muscles have to fire to compete the task.  In the latter case, it isn't so much that you are using different muscles but that they are being asked to work in a way that is unfamiliar.  This is actually a brain thing, not a muscle thing.  Good news here is that the brain catches on, especially if it's a task that it had to do before (as in, last season) -- with consistent training it'll have those muscles firing like a well-oiled machine in no time.

2010-04-26 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My tri bike feels very different from my road bike - my legs feel different.

Stu - What are your problems with T1?

I had a great weekend. I got 4 bike rides in and a brick. Sunday was a hard interval type group ride (TOUGH STUFF) followed immediately by a 3 mile brick. I was able to average ~6:40 on the run but I was slowing quickly. Then Sunday afternoon I did another hard group ride and I was punished. I only brought 2 gels with me and ended up with > 50 miles. I was gone by the end. I told the guys thanks for the ride and I just drifted home.

I enjoyed it all but it was not smart. oh, wll.

I had a good open water swim tonight! Second OWS of the year. Yes the half IM was the first OWS for the year. Also not smart.

james
2010-04-26 8:40 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Race report
I finally found time to write up my race report from yesterday:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=205320

BTW, does anyone else use tart cherry juice as their training drink of choice?  As I battle hypoglycemia, this is the only beverage my body tolerates (other than water / milk).  In addition to being a low-glycemic drink, it has an added side benefit of being anti-inflamatory.  If you can get past the tartness, I highly recommend it.

- Mark
2010-04-26 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2818320

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
microspawn - 2010-04-26 9:22 PM My tri bike feels very different from my road bike - my legs feel different. Stu - What are your problems with T1? I had a great weekend. I got 4 bike rides in and a brick. Sunday was a hard interval type group ride (TOUGH STUFF) followed immediately by a 3 mile brick. I was able to average ~6:40 on the run but I was slowing quickly. Then Sunday afternoon I did another hard group ride and I was punished. I only brought 2 gels with me and ended up with > 50 miles. I was gone by the end. I told the guys thanks for the ride and I just drifted home. I enjoyed it all but it was not smart. oh, wll. I had a good open water swim tonight! Second OWS of the year. Yes the half IM was the first OWS for the year. Also not smart. james

I wish I could've had your weekend.  I needed to this weekend, but instead was cooking the entire time.  Oh well, I don't guess it would have made much different in my race -- I just really wanted a long bike.

Yes, those group rides can be fantastic training.  I resisted riding with others for a long time, but I'll now recommend it to anyone.  It is a great time and great training.  I've been riding occasionally with a local elite triathlete and although my guts get turned inside out every time I do it, I glad every time for the opportunity.  Wish I could do it more.

OWS sure is fun isn't it?  I really do prefer it to the pool.  I'm hoping to get out for more this year.  I did one last Saturday morning, but it involved a 30 minute drive there and back, illegally jumping a fence (yes, I had visions of 'Local Man Arrested; see Metro Section for details'), 6:30am, and high winds, so it wasn't the ideal situation.  Even so, I preferred it to the pool!
2010-04-26 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2818349

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Race report
OneFastMule - 2010-04-26 9:40 PM I finally found time to write up my race report from yesterday:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=205320

BTW, does anyone else use tart cherry juice as their training drink of choice?  As I battle hypoglycemia, this is the only beverage my body tolerates (other than water / milk).  In addition to being a low-glycemic drink, it has an added side benefit of being anti-inflamatory.  If you can get past the tartness, I highly recommend it.

- Mark

Way to go Mark!

Oh, and standing in line at Disney Land definitely counts as training -- mental toughness training!
2010-04-26 10:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Lots of action in this forum tonight.

Well I snuck out of work early thinking I would do a run before picking up daughter at daycare but then decided on doing the swim instead. I had a good swim, I've been out of the pool for too long and just getting back into it slowly. Hope to get three days in this week. This evening went out for a run, but not before a long struggle to get the girls to bed. I was hoping to get out by 8:30 but ended up going at 9:30. By that time I was ready to give up and not go out. Thanks to my wife for stating that it's only 9:30, I gave myself a few minutes to think about it and decided I should go. Well, this run was suppose to be an easy run for about 20 minutes. It turned into a frustration run starting at about .5 miles where I started picking speed and just kept going for about 2 miles. The only thing that stopped me was the excrutiating pain I had under my ribs. I'm not going to spill out everything that was going on in my head, but lets just say that this season is not going the way I pictured it.

Hopefully I can get to the gym tomorrow night and do a bike session on stationary, if not I can walk to the basement a do a core workout plus some leg excercises.

Good night!
Sylvain

2010-04-26 10:54 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Trying to catch up on all the action.  Computer has been having MALWARE and ADWARE Issues.  Stu and Stone Cutter wonderful outcomes on the racing.  I agree with Michael (I think I read this or am I imagining) it is great to see all the progress this group is making and read the reports on the races.  I think the support and accountability has definitely help us all.  Thanks!!!  Guess what???  WE ARE JUST GETTING STARTED!!!!  MUCH MORE RACING TO GO. Smile
2010-04-26 11:23 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I am hoping to sign up for my June 6th Olympic Tri this evening.  Next best thing to being there (at least at this point).  I have been trying to set a total time goal and am looking at 1:40:00 area.  Just not sure how my body will react to the distance all at one time.   Individually I can tune into a overall time for each event, but together just not sure.

I am thinking at least a 27 min. swim (that is a 1:39 - 1:40/100); 3 min or less T1; bike 1:15 (19.50 Average); 2:00 min or less T2; 55 min or less 10K.  That puts me at about 2:42 Olympic Tri Total Time.  I'd like to think I could post a faster time so I am pushing for a 2:40 which means my bike needs to be more in the high 19's range (gain of approx. 2 min) and my run faster about by a min. (8:45 pace) which I believe I can do maybe faster.

2010-04-27 6:52 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Good morning everyone!

Sylvain, I've had some 'frustration runs' too.  Usually work is somehow part of the cause.  I don't know about training value, but they sure can be therapeutic!

What's on tap for today?

Swim and an easy bike for me.  Slept 9 hours last night.  Isn't tapering wonderful?
2010-04-27 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2818834

User image

Veteran
DC
I'm heading to the pool in five for an easy swim.

Brian, did you sign up for your Oly? 

Hope everyone has a great day.

Mike
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40