Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-05-18 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2801642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Subject: RE: Brian's group - FULL

I believe the trainer is going to be better than one at your gym.  Just because the geometry is the same, since it's the same bike. 

As far as pedals go:  I have had 3 pair.  The first two were the first two clipless styles made.  They definitely had their problems, and that's probably why they aren't on the market anymore.  I have been riding LOOK pedals since 1997  and don't have any complaints.  Neither do I have any comparison to other pedals on the market today.  There are probably some that have cleats that are easier to walk in.

I finally got one of the tests done that Brian asked for at the beginning of the group.  It took a while to find a good place to fit it into the training.  5 mile bike time trial - 24.42 mph.  Now, I just got to get the gumption to do 5K run.  ugh.  I am nursing a rotator cuff injury so I really don't want to do any all out 100m swim TT.

2010-05-19 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Rod - Nice job triathlete.  That sounds like an awesome and memorable way to cross the finish line.
2010-05-19 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2866514

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Ditto what Ray said about the trainer ... riding your bike is much better than riding anything else.  If you have to do it inside then set-up your bike in front of the TV and watch a movie or you can use a portable DVD player if you have to do it somewhere else (Steph wont let me ride in the house so I have to train in the garage ).  The winter rides on the trainer were the driving force to doing Netflix.

Place a towel underneath your bike ... trust me on this!

As far as pedals, try: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1033541_-1_20000__400048.  Pretty good deal on a set of pedals and cleats at >$50.00.  If you do not have a Performance Bike around you then take your pedals, bike and cleats once received to a local bike store to have them mount the cleats to your cycling shoes and attach the pedals.

They might charge ~$15-20 ... but it will be worth it as the cleat placement on your bike sole is super, triple-dog important.  Also, it can be really easy to strip the threads on your pedal crank ... and that is not good!

outtashape momma - 2010-05-18 4:06 PM I have a few questions.  Which is better to workout on a bike trainer or the reality bike at the gym? Also how do you simulate hills and such on a bike trainer?  I have been looking into getting some clip pedals which brand do you all recommend? I have just regular bike pedals.

Thanks!
Amber
2010-05-19 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2863556

Regular
Augusta, GA
No Brian, that time trial wasn't a PR, but it was pretty close. Last fall I ran a 5k in 26:30. I am going to try to run at least one 5k this summer for fun to see where I am this year.

Edited by bdroppleman 2010-05-19 9:58 AM
2010-05-19 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
You can't really simulate hills on a trainer (at least realistically).  You can change gears on a trainer to increase the pedaling resistance which certainly helps develop those muscles but it still isn't the same thing.  Use your workouts on the trainer to focus on endurance and form and then try to get out on the roads once a week. 

Hulu.com is great on trainer rides if you have a laptop.  I set up shop in the garage so my curious son doesn't try to poke at the stationary spinning wheel and I would be bored out of my mind if I didn't use either hulu (which is still free) or netflix on demand on my laptop.
2010-05-19 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2866514

Regular
Augusta, GA
Amber, These are the shoes I have and they're great for tri because of the velcro straps at top--fast off and on in transition zone. Plus, a small donation is sent to Susan B. Komen Found. They were on sale at my local bike shop. I paired them w/reasonably priced Shimano pedals my bike shop recommended. To me a comfortable pair of shoes was the #1 issue so I went w/an inexpensive pedals. But on a serious student budget, I got my first pair of shoes/pedals mail order from nash.com for next to nothing and they were comfortable enough while I was figuring out if I was going to stick w/tri (which I didn't due to a move, a new job, marriage, babies, life!).

outtashape momma - 2010-05-18 3:06 PM I have a few questions.  Which is better to workout on a bike trainer or the reality bike at the gym? Also how do you simulate hills and such on a bike trainer?  I have been looking into getting some clip pedals which brand do you all recommend? I have just regular bike pedals.

Thanks!
Amber

2010-05-19 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2868146

Regular
Augusta, GA
2010-05-19 2:09 PM

User image

Regular
Ok sorry guys I'm back! Just a bit busy with school at the moment.

Rod - Congratulations on your triathlon! That is such a cool moment! And don't feel bad about the run - my first few triathlons were horrible on those transitions and it's still tough. It's just great you did it!

Question: so I have a sprint triathlon this Sunday and then my Olympic length the following Sunday. How much should I be tapering this week for the sprint length? I know what I'm supposed to do for the Olympic length more or less, but the sprint triathlon's not in my training plan. 
2010-05-19 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2868945

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Kind of hard to prescribe a one-size-fits-all approach to this but generally speaking I wouldn't taper for the Sprint at all but take it easy the next day with 'active recovery' late in the following afternoon or early evening through a light swim, embarrassingly s-l-o-w run/fast walk, or small chain ring spin on the bike. 

Since the Oly is your "A" race then the week going up ought to start with some short but intense workouts in each discipline (e.g. Monday = swim with sprints in the middle 2 laps of a 100, Tuesday = run with strides, Wednesday = spin with wind sprints + over-cadence).  The later part of the week should have one of the disciplines done in >20 minutes (warm-up, sprint, cool down) ... and then nothing the day before but hydrating and staying off your feet.

IronCowgirl - 2010-05-19 3:09 PM Ok sorry guys I'm back! Just a bit busy with school at the moment.

Rod - Congratulations on your triathlon! That is such a cool moment! And don't feel bad about the run - my first few triathlons were horrible on those transitions and it's still tough. It's just great you did it!

Question: so I have a sprint triathlon this Sunday and then my Olympic length the following Sunday. How much should I be tapering this week for the sprint length? I know what I'm supposed to do for the Olympic length more or less, but the sprint triathlon's not in my training plan. 
2010-05-19 9:28 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks Brian! Guess that means I shouldn't wimp out on my workout tonight even with the rain :D

2010-05-21 12:58 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Still here
Laptop is back up and running so I have logged in my missing workouts. I am still not allowed in the water yet. i know this is going to do some damage, but I will have to make up for it on my bike and run. I noticed a lot of talk about HR monitoring. Sounds as if I should become HR savvy. Does it really improve your performance that much? I have been taking it all in with the bike/clip petals and other gadgets. I am just hesitant on buying anything extra until I actually commit and complete a triathlon. However, if any of these things will truly make it easier for me then I would consider it. 

2010-05-21 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2872819

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: Still here
Glad that hte computer is back up and running.  Do not worry about the HR monitor for now ... just go on perceived rate of exertion (RPE).  With 10 being throw-up and 1 being asleep, your exercise should be int he 6-8 range for now.

Heal up so that you can get in the water ... but also be mindful not to 'over-do' it too much - especially on the run - as you ramp up your volume.

Cheeks - 2010-05-21 1:58 AM Laptop is back up and running so I have logged in my missing workouts. I am still not allowed in the water yet. i know this is going to do some damage, but I will have to make up for it on my bike and run. I noticed a lot of talk about HR monitoring. Sounds as if I should become HR savvy. Does it really improve your performance that much? I have been taking it all in with the bike/clip petals and other gadgets. I am just hesitant on buying anything extra until I actually commit and complete a triathlon. However, if any of these things will truly make it easier for me then I would consider it. 
2010-05-21 8:03 PM

User image

Nashville, TN

How long does the fatigue last?  I do well when I am not working and working out, but in order to reach my goal by august I have push through it. It is more of a mental fatigue than body faitgue.  I am sure the fact that i work some nights does not help that Frown.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Amber

2010-05-22 11:15 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Right with ya!
Amber, I am so with ya on the mental fatigue! What a mind game! It is so hard for me to transition from mommy to workout mama vs. mommy to give-me-a-break-I-just-wanna-sleep! But you are doing great!
2010-05-23 4:24 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Mental fatigue like "...I am so tired from working out that I am not sure how to tie my shoes" or mental fatigue like "...OMG, if I have to pry my rear from that bike seat from one more long ride I am going to go nuts"?

If the former then try some light 'active recovery' exercise as it will flush out all the accumulated gunk in your muscles (which, I believe, sends a signal to the brain that you are tired). If the latter, then as my coach used to say to me "...suck it up, princess"!   
2010-05-23 11:06 PM
in reply to: #2876227

User image

New user

brian - 2010-05-23 2:24 AM Mental fatigue like "...I am so tired from working out that I am not sure how to tie my shoes" or mental fatigue like "...OMG, if I have to pry my rear from that bike seat from one more long ride I am going to go nuts"?

If the former then try some light 'active recovery' exercise as it will flush out all the accumulated gunk in your muscles (which, I believe, sends a signal to the brain that you are tired). If the latter, then as my coach used to say to me "...suck it up, princess"!   

That's what I need to hear! I need to write that and post that to the coffee maker.

2010-05-24 2:35 AM
in reply to: #2876227

User image

Nashville, TN
brian - 2010-05-23 4:24 AM Mental fatigue like "...I am so tired from working out that I am not sure how to tie my shoes" or mental fatigue like "...OMG, if I have to pry my rear from that bike seat from one more long ride I am going to go nuts"?

Thanks Brian!  Yeah... it is probably more of the "suck it up Princess!"  I laughed all morning about it.  It was great!
Thanks
Amber
2010-05-24 2:53 AM
in reply to: #2877363

User image

Regular
Haha I think I'm in the same boat Amber!

-Erica 
2010-05-24 9:38 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
It is hard starting out.  Your "life schedule" is not used to your "work out schedule", so there is some acclimation that has to go on.  But keep with it as after two of consistently scheduling your workouts the two schedules seem to meld together ... and hopefully that is when things will fall into place.

Edited by brian 2010-05-24 9:40 AM
2010-05-24 12:11 PM

User image

Regular
I had quite the weekend. I thought I'd share one of the funnier happenings with you guys.

So it seems I had a little run-in with a trampoline Friday at midnight or so that resulted in this:

(ok I had trouble getting a picture here. Is it possible to insert a picture if it's in a file instead of having a URL?) Just imagine a beat-up looking face here.

Consequently, when I had my sprint triathlon yesterday everyone assumed I had taken some dramatic fall off my bike. Hey, I got pegged as hard-core at least! I really need to come up with a good story... :D
2010-05-25 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2878367

User image

Veteran
Ouch! Those trampolines are dangerous! In Jersey there are more hospital visits for under 18s from trampoline accidents than any other cause. I haven't seen the stats for university students but maybe its the same? Smile

Edited by Rod1 2010-05-25 11:06 AM

2010-05-25 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2880673

User image

Expert
Rod1 - 2010-05-25 12:04 PM Ouch! Those trampolines are dangerous! In Jersey there are more hospital visits for under 18s from trampoline accidents than any other cause. I haven't seen the stats for university students but maybe its the same? Smile

I'd bet that the percentage of injuries for university students would be the same......think alcohol AND a trampoline.  I tried jumping from someone's deck to the trampoline below once (13 ish) and ended up biting through the skin below my bottom lip.....good times.  I'm sure everyone at the tri was thoroughly impressed with you continuing the race after your "bike accident". 

On another note, my long swim meet is over and I think work will get back to normal, so.....I'm back!  Hopefully, I didn't lose too much run or bike fitness in the last week since I've got less than 2 weeks before my first HIM and it isn't a very forgiving course.  Thank you to everyone for the "inspires".  I haven't been posting but I've been reading stuff from my phone.
2010-05-25 5:37 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
The list of stupid things I did in college would fill a long afternoon.  That said, the smartest thing I did was to marry my college sweatheart, Stephanie.  We just got back from a 5 day trip to the beach sans kids ... and remembered why we got married in the first place 16 years ago.

That said, back in front of a computer with internet access and will be on the prowl for a-w-e-s-o-m-e training this week.  We are almost to the mid-way point of our Spring Session here so we need to make the best use of the weeks we have amassed as momentum going forward.

To that end, please take a look at the goals you established at the beginning, list them in a post here and then give everyone a status report ... be sure to emphasize what troubles you the most.  This will help us focus on our goals and hone in on whatever we can do to overcome the hurdle that is immediately in front of you.

Lastly, end your post with what you like the most about exercising (... and, no, you cannot say "When it is over!" )
2010-05-26 5:18 AM
in reply to: #2881852

User image

Veteran

Five days with no kids. Wow. I can't imagine that. Our kids stayed with friends for my 40th birthday (a year ago), it was the first full night my wife and I had been without kids in seven years (I guess that's the cost of living approximately 10,000 miles from your extended family). I had forgotten how long and leisurely breakfast can be!

So given time zone differences I guess I'm up first...

Goals - OK I didn't actually write down any concrete goals. But broadly they were (for the season) complete the five Jersey Triathlons (each longer than the last culminating in Olympic distance late august). There were no speed or time aspirations, although I now find myself calculating my "expected" finishing times prior to the races, and establishing times that I am "happy", "happier" and "delighted" with. In the build up to this I am doing the BT 2X balanced 16 weeks "Sprint" training programme, and will shift into the same "Olympic" programme post the Sprint Triathlon.

I guess the surprise to me has been that my running speed is relatively so much slower than those I am competing with. But actually my running speed is up some 10% - 20% from when I started training in February, and there was no "time or speed" in my goals. However I already find myself working on 2011 goals - and faster run times will definitely be in there! The largest negative and toughest thing I have found with training, is that I am finding it causes lower back and neck to stiffen (hence there is a lot of Yoga scheduled in my week - which is an added time burden I hadn't counted on). This in itself doesn't bother me, except that it does for me reduce quality of sleep and sometimes leads to really bad nights, it also means I won't schedule in exercise for evenings after work, which means earlier mornings than otherwise. Overall manageable with lots of Yoga, but am open to suggestions! (I am yet to try a deep tissue massage, but will soon).

Overall achievement of goals is on track, and I am really enjoying it a lot. We'll see if that remains the case as the volume of the Olympic training schedule picks up.

Best thing about exercise. That's a tough one, nine times out of ten (so far) I really enjoy the training sessions and look forward to them. Probably the best thing, (and I never set out to do Triathlon for this reason), is the changes in my body. I've lost 5kg since February, have a considerably(!) flatter stomach, feel more toned, my wife tells me I look and seem younger, and I generally feel fitter than I think I ever have.

I'm slightly concerned this exercise stuff could become addictive!

2010-05-26 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Goals -

1. stay injury free.  This is harder than I thought it would be.  I am not allowing myself to do any unnecessary "playing" (trampolines, skiing, chasing children, etc....)  Being a big ole kid, this has been hard for me.  Luckily, my wife reminds me to be good.  Also, I have been plagued with lots of nagging aches and pains.  (strained rotator cuff, sore shoulders, ankle pain, and now inflamed ITB)  Each has caused me to back of of training a bit, or at least alter it.  I feel I am a little behind schedule right now, but not too much.  Most of the pain seems to come from running long slow miles.  When I am running sub 8:00 I have no discomfort at all.  Historically, most of my training has been hard intervals.  I have never done this much LCD work.  I think it changes my gate running that slow, and puts stress on areas not used to it.

2.  IM in Sept.  If I can manage the first goal, I believe I can manage the second goal.  I probably won't hit my time goal.  But I believe that if I can make it to the starting line, I can make it to the finish line.

The most frustrating thing is dealing with an aging body and having to baby it along.  The most rewarding thing is seeing some of my old speed come back to me.  I am feeling stronger in cycling and swimming than I thought I would.  Running is still lagging quite a bit though.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13