BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-01-05 1:02 AM
in reply to: #3256657

User image

Expert
Denver Area
Subject: RE: owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED

Last couple QOTDs (I think)

I've a WS Cannondale Synapse, blue w/ yellow and yellow handle wrap...it's pretty, her name is Harmony, she needs new wheels tho'.

For 2011 I'm aiming for Pelican Fest Sprint mid May, then Loveland Lake to Lake Oly June-ish, though I haven't signed up for either yet.  My husband is hoping to do Loveland also...we shall see, we shall see.

2011-01-05 9:01 AM

User image

New user

Madison
I have a question...for those of you that have completed a sprint and/or oly...

I am so emersed in triathlon training.  I am reading books, magazines, working out and feeling like I can do anything lol.  I start my all focused tri training on Monday in a beginner tri program at my gym.  My question is, is it feasible to do a sprint and oly in the same year for your first year? 

My first sprint is end of Feb, then there is another sprint I'm doing in August with a friend in maryland.  Now there is another tri in June and I'm wondering if it is feasible, assuming my training goes well to do an oly in June.  My hesitation is this would be my first open water/outdoor tri so then I was thinking maybe do the June a sprint and then find another one in July or maybe even Sept (but may be too late) for an oly????

I was originally planning to do Feb Sprint, June Sprint and August Oly but the AUgust tri I'm doing is a destination tri now with a friend who wants to stick to the sprint tri's and we are doing it together for fun..... 
2011-01-05 10:02 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Let's change up our question of the day a little.  It's time for you to ask some questions!

Question of the Day

What questions do you have regarding swimming?  Let's talk about swim training, open water swimming, and anything else regarding swimming.

2011-01-05 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3278552

User image

Elite
far northern CA

AdaBug - 2011-01-04 11:02 PM

Last couple QOTDs (I think)

I've a WS Cannondale Synapse, blue w/ yellow and yellow handle wrap...it's pretty, her name is Harmony, she needs new wheels tho'.

For 2011 I'm aiming for Pelican Fest Sprint mid May, then Loveland Lake to Lake Oly June-ish, though I haven't signed up for either yet.  My husband is hoping to do Loveland also...we shall see, we shall see.

Oh yeah!  I forgot to tell you the names of my bikes!  My tri bike is Raven because she is black and fast and sleek.  My road bike is Goldilocks because she is gold and juuuussssttt right!

2011-01-05 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3279113

User image

Elite
far northern CA

melmarie80 - 2011-01-05 7:01 AM I have a question...for those of you that have completed a sprint and/or oly...

I am so emersed in triathlon training.  I am reading books, magazines, working out and feeling like I can do anything lol.  I start my all focused tri training on Monday in a beginner tri program at my gym.  My question is, is it feasible to do a sprint and oly in the same year for your first year? 

My first sprint is end of Feb, then there is another sprint I'm doing in August with a friend in maryland.  Now there is another tri in June and I'm wondering if it is feasible, assuming my training goes well to do an oly in June.  My hesitation is this would be my first open water/outdoor tri so then I was thinking maybe do the June a sprint and then find another one in July or maybe even Sept (but may be too late) for an oly????

I was originally planning to do Feb Sprint, June Sprint and August Oly but the AUgust tri I'm doing is a destination tri now with a friend who wants to stick to the sprint tri's and we are doing it together for fun..... 

You COULD do an oly during your first year of tris if you just want to complete the distance without worrying about your finish time.  I WOULD NOT do the oly as your first open water swim race.  1500 meters is a BIG jump from a sprint length swim.  In my opinion, stick with the sprint distances this year but train for the oly distance if you have the time available for increased training.  You will enjoy the sprints much more.

2011-01-05 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Ah, swimming. Hoping to add that back in next week.  If I've been away from it for, oh, I don't know, a year, Smile is it best that I should just get in and swim, or set some workouts? I usually just set a distance goal.

Question: What is considered a classic Oly distance? The race I think I will do in June (did it in '08) is called a sprint, but the distance is .9 swim, 18 bike, 6.2 run.

2011-01-05 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3279741

User image

Elite
far northern CA

aquinn - 2011-01-05 10:12 AM Ah, swimming. Hoping to add that back in next week.  If I've been away from it for, oh, I don't know, a year, Smile is it best that I should just get in and swim, or set some workouts? I usually just set a distance goal.

Question: What is considered a classic Oly distance? The race I think I will do in June (did it in '08) is called a sprint, but the distance is .9 swim, 18 bike, 6.2 run.

An official oly distance is 1500m swim, 40K bike, and 10K run.

As for swimming, there are a number of things you could do depending on your skill starting point.  I like the program 0-1650 in 6 weeks.  It worked for me in the past.

2011-01-05 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3279295

User image

Expert
Denver Area

owl_girl - 2011-01-05 9:02 AM

Let's change up our question of the day a little.  It's time for you to ask some questions!

Question of the Day

What questions do you have regarding swimming?  Let's talk about swim training, open water swimming, and anything else regarding swimming.

I like swimming. I love love love open water, it is SO FUN!

2011-01-05 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3280307

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Wow, that's a great site! It makes me want to get into the pool now! Thanks for sharing! I shall begin next week. Wish the pool was open on the weekend this weekend but I won't complain because the hours are 4-8 every weeknight through January and that is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what their hours usually are!
2011-01-05 5:52 PM

New user

I havent posted in a while - 
I have a trek 7.5 - I keep looking at getting a new bike but I just cant stomach the price until I'm REALLY sure this is for me.

Oh, I love swimming too, especially in the lake (not a fan of salt water swimming) my concern with the swim is the wetsuit. I bought one last year and it fits well, but I just cant get comfortable in it, my body position is off with it on - I feel too "floaty" has anyone else had that problem??

My first race will be a repeat of the sprint tri I did last year, it is a pool swim (too cold to swim outdoors here in May). This year I'm hoping to do much better than last year plus add more races (and distance) to my schedule! 
2011-01-05 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3280690

User image

Expert

I never feel too floaty- always too sinky!  Tomorrow night we have planned to go to the pool for the first time...in a long time.  Sigh. 

Got a trainer ride and 10 minutes of yoga in so that was good. 

2011-01-05 9:14 PM

Regular
Wow! I'm a little overwhelmed with all the posts!! We're a chatty group! I just got through all 10 pages.

I'll try to answer a few past questions of the day, and try to stay on top of the forum from here on out...

Location: Southern Vermont - I noticed someone mentioned a Tough Mudder race, and we have one coming to our area in May. Perhaps I'll look into it.

Favorite discipline: Running because it's the easiest for me to get motivated for. I get a little nervous on the road biking, and definitely need to put more volume in there. And... hate swimming. I do plan to look into some swim lessons in the next few months. I do not have a pool that is nearby or convenient, but there is a huge one near Dartmouth where I work, so I will have to try to plan some time there. I live quite a ways away.

Bike: Specialized Ruby, no aerobars yet. Never really named her...

2011-01-06 10:08 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Good morning!  What are your plans today?  I will be pushing the stroller on a 4.5 mile run.

2011-01-06 10:13 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Question of the Day

How do you deal with childcare so you can train?

I use gym childcare for running, swimming and teaching Spinning classes.  When the weather is nice, I pushe the running stroller.  My husband takes care of watching him while I am on the trainer or on long runs and bike rides.  I am very thankful that I have such a supportive husband who loves to run and cycle as well.  He understands my need to exercise every day.

2011-01-06 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3281068

User image

Elite
far northern CA

vtgirl - 2011-01-05 7:14 PM Wow! I'm a little overwhelmed with all the posts!! We're a chatty group! I just got through all 10 pages. I'll try to answer a few past questions of the day, and try to stay on top of the forum from here on out... Location: Southern Vermont - I noticed someone mentioned a Tough Mudder race, and we have one coming to our area in May. Perhaps I'll look into it. Favorite discipline: Running because it's the easiest for me to get motivated for. I get a little nervous on the road biking, and definitely need to put more volume in there. And... hate swimming. I do plan to look into some swim lessons in the next few months. I do not have a pool that is nearby or convenient, but there is a huge one near Dartmouth where I work, so I will have to try to plan some time there. I live quite a ways away. Bike: Specialized Ruby, no aerobars yet. Never really named her...

Can't miss a day around here!

2011-01-06 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3280690

User image

Elite
far northern CA

megardiner - 2011-01-05 3:52 PM I havent posted in a while - 
I have a trek 7.5 - I keep looking at getting a new bike but I just cant stomach the price until I'm REALLY sure this is for me.

Oh, I love swimming too, especially in the lake (not a fan of salt water swimming) my concern with the swim is the wetsuit. I bought one last year and it fits well, but I just cant get comfortable in it, my body position is off with it on - I feel too "floaty" has anyone else had that problem??

My first race will be a repeat of the sprint tri I did last year, it is a pool swim (too cold to swim outdoors here in May). This year I'm hoping to do much better than last year plus add more races (and distance) to my schedule! 

Like anything, you just need to practice swimming in your wetsuit so you are comfortable with positioning.  Do you have a triathlon/swimming specific wetsuit or are you using one intended for diving and surfing?

2011-01-06 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3281986

New user

I have a triathlon specific wetsuit. I do need to practice more with it... 

Finding time to exercise where it fits into family routine has been challenging. I am a physician and I often work longer hours and I came to realize after the birth of my 3rd child that time for exercise was increasingly limited (it was so much easier to get away before we had the 3rd!!) - so I now get up before 5am every day to work out (when everyone is still asleep). Fortunately I have friends who are crazy enough to meet me at 430 or 445 to ride or run or swim in the lake in the summer.. 
2011-01-06 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Run done.  Hope to bike on trainer before catching belated birthday dinner with a friend. Will the celebrations never cease? Smile

Parenting and training: my boys are now 9 and almost 12.  They are in the place where if my husband is in town at work, I can go out for an hour run. Still, the biking (outdoors) and the swimming (because it's in the next town over and I can't have the cell phone in a pool) are trickier. Still, I do also find, in many ways, it's just as important to maintain a presence in the house with tweens as it is with babies and kiddos.....just because I can leave them more doesn't mean I always should. I try to be very mindful of when I do. In a town full of Iron athletes--some grounded and some addicited- I don't ever want to become someone who lets training for anything come in the way of being a mom. I've seen too much of it.
2011-01-06 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3281964

User image

Expert
Denver Area

owl_girl - 2011-01-06 9:13 AM

Question of the Day

Unlimited KidsClub at GloboGym is pretty convenient usually and getting to know the young women who work there makes it more comfortable. 

We've yet to check out the local rec center, kinda missing the rec center we just moved away from.  Otherwise The Man takes over when I'm away a long time, which hasn't happened at all since Baby E arrived.  :/ 

I've also taken advantage of friend's offer to watch bigger kiddo for long bricks, seems so long ago now.

2011-01-06 5:57 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
I know the recipes were posted a few days ago but you guys have to try this.  I made it tonight and it was so good.

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups leeks, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
1 teaspoon salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, peeled, diced medium
1 large parsnip, peeled, diced medium
8 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, diced medium
1 cup dry quinoa
1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 bunch kale (about a pound), rough stems removed, torn into bite sized pieces

Herb blend:
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
1 teaspoon dried majoram
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
Fresh black pepper, to taste

Preheat a 4 quart soup pot over medium high heat. Saute leeks and garlic in oil with salt for about 3 minutes, or however long it takes you to prep your carrot and parsnip. Add carrot and parsnip, along with the herb blend, turn heat up to high and saute for a few seconds.

Add vegetable broth, potatoes and quinoa. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes, until potatoes and quinoa are tender. Add kale and beans, and stir frequently until kale is wilted. Cover and simmer on low for 5 more minutes. Taste for salt

When you serve you may want to add a little lemon juice or a splash of balsamic vinegar or hot sauce - whatever your thing is. Or you may not.

This serves 8 and can be adjusted up or down if you prefer. I’d recommend making a big batch as it’s great the next day and froze well in an air-tight container for me.

2011-01-06 5:59 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Question of the Day

This is one of my biggest obstacles.  We live in a city where we have no family and my husband travels all week so most of the time it is me an 4 kids 4 and under.  I use the childcare at the Y and I hire a siiter.  It gets expensive to hire a sitter bit when I start IM training next month there is really no option.  I do have a trainer for my bike at home which I loathe to use but it's there as a last resort.

2011-01-06 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3282449

User image

Expert
Denver Area

aquinn - 2011-01-06 11:34 AM I don't ever want to become someone who lets training for anything come in the way of being a mom. I've seen too much of it.

THIS.

precisely why I didn't get up at 5 this morning (it was only to get a jump on the day), the baby was too snuggly, our three breathing noises were too sweet, that's quality.

2011-01-06 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3283234

AdaBug - 2011-01-06 7:07 PM

aquinn - 2011-01-06 11:34 AM I don't ever want to become someone who lets training for anything come in the way of being a mom. I've seen too much of it.

THIS.

precisely why I didn't get up at 5 this morning (it was only to get a jump on the day), the baby was too snuggly, our three breathing noises were too sweet, that's quality.

What fantastic things to say. Makes me happy to read them.

I know I've been missing days, sorry!

Recipes for my kid: He'll eat anything in soup! Tonight we had a chicken, veggie and rice soup. No recipe, just boiling the bones of a mostly eaten chicken for broth and meat, pull out the bones and skin (I added an extra chicken breast for more meat).

Then saute onion, garlic, celery, and green beans. When they look delish add salt, pepper, bay leaf, can of diced tomatoes and the chicken and broth, bring to a boil, let cool a bit, add rice, bring to another boil until rice is good and enjoy!

Regarding my bike: Um, it's the purple kind. It's a hybrid I bought from a local bike non-profit. I hope to get a road bike in the next year or so. I don't love the bike I have, yet don't hate it enough to motivate me to the LBS.

Swimming questions: I just need time in the pool. Our Y shortens the lap hours during the school year, so I haven't been since the summer.

First race of 2011: Tough Mudder April 9th! I may find my way into a 5k or sneak into the sold out 10k before then, but that's the first race I'm training for.

Child care: I am SO, SO lucky that I have full time day care but only a part time job. But my husband works crazy hours and we don't have family nearby, so it's still hard to get in some long workouts. I'm trying to get my Y to offer Sunday Child Watch so I can get in a swim. Biking I'll worry about when it's warmer outside.

Additional blathering: I did a 5k on New Year's eve and I smashed my old PR by over two minutes! And this was seven minutes faster than my time a year before! I am so, so stoked by this. I never thought I could be this fast (okay a 27:16 5k might not be amazing to everyone, but it's HUGE to me). Part is the physical strength from training, but a big part is the mental toughness of knowing that I can push my body harder, that my lungs might feel like they will implode, but they really won't.

2011-01-06 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3283234

User image

Elite
far northern CA

AdaBug - 2011-01-06 4:07 PM

THIS.

Ah yes!!!  Beautiful!!!

2011-01-06 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3283397

User image

Elite
far northern CA

TheGoGoGoes - 2011-01-06 5:50 PM
AdaBug - 2011-01-06 7:07 PM

THIS.

What fantastic things to say. Makes me happy to read them.

I know I've been missing days, sorry!

Recipes for my kid: He'll eat anything in soup! Tonight we had a chicken, veggie and rice soup. No recipe, just boiling the bones of a mostly eaten chicken for broth and meat, pull out the bones and skin (I added an extra chicken breast for more meat).

Then saute onion, garlic, celery, and green beans. When they look delish add salt, pepper, bay leaf, can of diced tomatoes and the chicken and broth, bring to a boil, let cool a bit, add rice, bring to another boil until rice is good and enjoy!

Regarding my bike: Um, it's the purple kind. It's a hybrid I bought from a local bike non-profit. I hope to get a road bike in the next year or so. I don't love the bike I have, yet don't hate it enough to motivate me to the LBS.

Swimming questions: I just need time in the pool. Our Y shortens the lap hours during the school year, so I haven't been since the summer.

First race of 2011: Tough Mudder April 9th! I may find my way into a 5k or sneak into the sold out 10k before then, but that's the first race I'm training for.

Child care: I am SO, SO lucky that I have full time day care but only a part time job. But my husband works crazy hours and we don't have family nearby, so it's still hard to get in some long workouts. I'm trying to get my Y to offer Sunday Child Watch so I can get in a swim. Biking I'll worry about when it's warmer outside.

Additional blathering: I did a 5k on New Year's eve and I smashed my old PR by over two minutes! And this was seven minutes faster than my time a year before! I am so, so stoked by this. I never thought I could be this fast (okay a 27:16 5k might not be amazing to everyone, but it's HUGE to me). Part is the physical strength from training, but a big part is the mental toughness of knowing that I can push my body harder, that my lungs might feel like they will implode, but they really won't.

Wow!!!  That's a MAJOR improvement!!!  You should be super proud of that 5K time!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14