Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2011-01-24 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3317412

User image

North Carolina
Subject: RE: Tri Curious - CLOSED
mbasta - 2011-01-24 7:05 AM
kkvane - 2011-01-22 3:09 PM I'm attaching my current training plan (haven't gotten the training log up an going yet). I chose this one because I needs something that works up slow, but it's really really testing me. I did make a couple small adjustments as to rest day and days off  of running activities. Wondering if it ramps up too fast? Should I switch to the 5K plan that was posted on here earlier? Any input/suggestions would be warmly welcomed! Thanks!

I just formatted my computer and I don't have the office package installed yet so i can't view it. is there any chance that you can copy/paste the text? Thanks!

Here goes ;-) :

Every Tuesday = Yoga
Every Thursday = Rest Day
Every Sunday = Walk

Week One

Monday
One Walk 10 minutes. Next 6 minutes alternate running 1 minute and walking 1 minute. Walk 4 minutes. Stretch.

Wednesday
Walk 10 minutes.
Next 8 minutes alternate running 1 minute and walking 1 minute.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch.

Friday
Walk 8 minutes. Next 10 minutes alternate running 1 minute and walking 1 minute.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch.

Saturday
Walk 6 minutes.
Next 12 minutes alternate running 2 minutes and walking 2 minutes.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch.  

Week Two

Monday
Walk 10 minutes.
Next 10 minutes alternate running 1 minute and walking 1 minute.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch

Wednesday
Walk 10 minutes.
Next 12 minutes alternate running 1 minute and walking 1 minute.
Walk 3 minutes.
Stretch.

Friday
Walk 10 minutes. Next 12 minutes alternate running 2 minutes and walking 1 minute.
Walk 3 minutes.
Stretch.

Saturday
Walk 8 minutes.
Next 15 minutes alternate running 2 minutes and walking 1 minute.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch.  

Week Three

Monday
Walk 10 minutes.
Next 10 minutes alternate running for 1 minute and walking for 1 minute.
Walk 10 minutes.
Stretch.

Wednesday
Walk 10 minutes.
Next 15 minutes, alternate running for 1 minute and walking for 1 minute.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch.

Friday
Walk 10 minutes.
Next 15 minutes alternate running 2 minutes with walking 1 minute.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch.

Saturday
Walk 5 minutes.
Next 21 minutes, alternate running for 2 minutes and walking for 1 minute.
Walk 4 minutes.
Stretch.

Week Four

Monday
Walk 5 minutes.
Next 20 minutes alternate running for 3 minutes and walking for 1 minute.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch.

Wednesday
Walk 4 minutes.
Next 24 minutes, alternate running for 5 minute and walking for 1 minute.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch.

Friday
Walk 4 minutes.
Next 24 minutes alternate running 5 minutes with walking 1 minute.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch.

Saturday
Walk 5 minutes.
Next 22 minutes, alternate running for 8 minutes and walking for 3 minutes.
Walk 3 minutes.
Stretch.  

Week Five

Monday
Walk 5 minutes.
Run 10 minutes.
Walk 5 minutes.
Run 5 minutes.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch.

Wednesday
Walk 5 minutes.
Run 12 minutes.
Walk 3 minutes.
Run 5 minutes.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch.

Friday
Walk 10 minutes.
Run 15 minutes.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch

Saturday
Walk 6 minutes.
Run 18 minutes.
Walk 6 minutes.
Stretch.  

Week Six

Monday
Walk 5 minutes.
Run 20 minutes.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch.

Wednesday
Walk 5 minutes.
Run 22 minutes.
Walk 3 minutes.
Stretch.

Friday
Walk 3 minutes.
Run 25 minutes.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch

Saturday
Run 30 minutes.
Stretch.

2011-01-24 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3317407

User image

North Carolina
mbasta - 2011-01-24 7:01 AM
kkvane - 2011-01-22 1:43 PM
mbasta - 2011-01-21 8:17 PM Happy weekend everyone!

How are you all doing? What are your plans for the weekend? How are you feeling about your current training plans?

We can use our team space for chatting about more than just training. Feel free to come by and post, this is your space.

Same to you, Melissa! No huge plans for the weekend. Some work, some homework, and some housework. ;-) We are going to dinner at friends this evening, so that should be fun. Food and chatting....

The sprint I'm signed up for is 250m swim, 20K bike, and 5K run (in September 2011). So far, I'm working on a couch-to-5K run/walk program I found on Women's Health Magazine. It starts really slow (I need that) and works up. I'm finishing up week 2 (out of 6). I'm up to running(wogging) 2 minutes at a time, but it is really kicking my butt. I would (maybe should?) slow down, but I'm already only going an average of 3mph. Ack. I thought I was walking at least that fast and some wogging would make me faster, but it doesn't appear so. Ugh. Should I keep pushing and hope/plan that it will get better/easier, or slow down to a snail's pace and hope I get faster? I have to finish the tri in 2 1/2 hours, so I'm kinda freaked about that....

I've also started slowly working on my swimming. Working more on trying to get the breathing to flow right now than actual form, etc. I looked at the swim tips here on BT, and have been doing the "bobbing" breathing practice.

Not working on the bicycle right now. I regularly ride 7-12 miles during the spring/summer, so I'm not worried about that part. I'll wait til the weather gets better to start working on that outdoors.

I guess I'm feeling okay about things at the moment. I'm already doing more running than I ever have before. I'm just kinda looking at that 2 1/2-hour time limit and fretting...

Hope the weekend is going well for everyone!!!

the bobbing exercise is a great start to water breathing! Just remember, start breathing out the nose before touching the water, while in the water, and until your nose exits the water. As long as air is coming out water can't go in.

Thanks for the tip and the encouragement on the time as well. I guess I'll see if I can slow down some more (already feels like I'm crawling) as I'm always out of breath. But then, just walking as fast as hubby/dog can get me out of breath. It's always been an issue for me... I'm still plugging along though - not giving up! ;-)
2011-01-24 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3317429

User image

North Carolina
mbasta - 2011-01-24 7:20 AM I am starting my new training program today! Finally the bronchitis is clear!

Here's the plan today:

-Cycle 50 minutes

Bike ME
Muscular Endurance
WU: 15'
MS: 5x3' w/ 1' RI  
#1 End at low Zn 3
#2 End at middle Zn 3
#3 End at upper Zn 3
#4 End at lower Zn 4
#5 Build to Zn 4 in first 45s and hold
CD: 15'

-Strength train 20 minutes

The trouble is that I can't remember how to read all of the cycle info jibberish...This part specifically "MS: 5x3' w/ 1' RI"   I'm going to check my tri training book.

Yay for feeling better!! I hope the workout went well for you. Did you figure out the code? Looks like Greek to me. ;-)
2011-01-24 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3319267

User image

North Carolina
northernorchid - 2011-01-24 8:22 PM Hey ladies -- had to take a day off today.

Apparently sub-zero runs kill your throat; I suspect I have some sort of extreme cold dehydration or frostbite in the back of my throat. Hurts to go outside

On the upside, I was chatting to Mr. Wonderful today and my voice sounded all throaty and "Phoebe from Friends"-y, haha. Wonder if I could convince him to do a tri? He bikes to work anyway...hm...

Anyway, temperature is coming up to 0 tomorrow (yay!) so I'm thinking a swim and a run.

Also, anyone have any details of spin/cycling shoes?

Yikes! That sounds painful. Ugh. Hope you get thawed out soon. My husband rides to work pretty much every day other than wintertime. Told him daughter and I were doing the tri and did he want to set the goal, too? He said sure....so he's doing it with us as well. One big happy, panting, sweaty family. Ha! :-)
2011-01-24 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3317401

Veteran
mbasta - 2011-01-24 3:55 AM
Threejs - 2011-01-21 8:47 PM
mbasta - 2011-01-21 5:17 PM Happy weekend everyone!

How are you all doing? What are your plans for the weekend? How are you feeling about your current training plans?

We can use our team space for chatting about more than just training. Feel free to come by and post, this is your space.

GO PACKERS!!!!!!!!Laughing

How did they perform?

Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!
2011-01-24 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3319317

Veteran
kkvane - 2011-01-24 5:51 PM

Apparently sub-zero runs kill your throat; I suspect I have some sort of extreme cold dehydration or frostbite in the back of my throat. Hurts to go outside

On the upside, I was chatting to Mr. Wonderful today and my voice sounded all throaty and "Phoebe from Friends"-y, haha. Wonder if I could convince him to do a tri? He bikes to work anyway...hm...

Anyway, temperature is coming up to 0 tomorrow (yay!) so I'm thinking a swim and a run.

Yikes! That sounds painful. Ugh. Hope you get thawed out soon. My husband rides to work pretty much every day other than wintertime. Told him daughter and I were doing the tri and did he want to set the goal, too? He said sure....so he's doing it with us as well. One big happy, panting, sweaty family. Ha! :-)

That's pretty cool...A family event!!

2011-01-25 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3319267

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

Cold is hard on the throat, but make sure you're still hydrating just like you would in summer. many people think because it's cold they don't need to drink. I know it can be hard because the body doesn't seem to want it so much! I try to drink a few sips every 10 minutes to help regulate my intake.

Someone else may have tips about cycling shoes, in the mean time head over to the "Gear Reviews and Questions" area of the forum. You can read existing threads or you can add your own.
2011-01-25 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3319287

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
kkvane - 2011-01-24 8:38 PM
kkvane - 2011-01-22 3:09 PM I'm attaching my current training plan (haven't gotten the training log up an going yet). I chose this one because I needs something that works up slow, but it's really really testing me. I did make a couple small adjustments as to rest day and days off  of running activities. Wondering if it ramps up too fast? Should I switch to the 5K plan that was posted on here earlier? Any input/suggestions would be warmly welcomed! Thanks!

I just formatted my computer and I don't have the office package installed yet so i can't view it. is there any chance that you can copy/paste the text? Thanks!

Here goes ;-) :

Every Tuesday = Yoga
Every Sunday = Walk

Week One

Monday
One Walk 10 minutes. Next 6 minutes alternate running 1 minute and walking 1 minute. Walk 4 minutes. Stretch.

Wednesday
Walk 10 minutes.
Next 8 minutes alternate running 1 minute and walking 1 minute.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch.

Friday
Walk 8 minutes. Next 10 minutes alternate running 1 minute and walking 1 minute.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch.

Saturday
Walk 6 minutes.
Next 12 minutes alternate running 2 minutes and walking 2 minutes.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch.  

Week Two

Monday
Walk 10 minutes.
Next 10 minutes alternate running 1 minute and walking 1 minute.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch

Wednesday
Walk 10 minutes.
Next 12 minutes alternate running 1 minute and walking 1 minute.
Walk 3 minutes.
Stretch.

Friday
Walk 10 minutes. Next 12 minutes alternate running 2 minutes and walking 1 minute.
Walk 3 minutes.
Stretch.

Saturday
Walk 8 minutes.
Next 15 minutes alternate running 2 minutes and walking 1 minute.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch.  

Week Three

Monday
Walk 10 minutes.
Next 10 minutes alternate running for 1 minute and walking for 1 minute.
Walk 10 minutes.
Stretch.

Wednesday
Walk 10 minutes.
Next 15 minutes, alternate running for 1 minute and walking for 1 minute.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch.

Friday
Walk 10 minutes.
Next 15 minutes alternate running 2 minutes with walking 1 minute.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch.

Saturday
Walk 5 minutes.
Next 21 minutes, alternate running for 2 minutes and walking for 1 minute.
Walk 4 minutes.
Stretch.

Week Four

Monday
Walk 5 minutes.
Next 20 minutes alternate running for 3 minutes and walking for 1 minute.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch.

Wednesday
Walk 4 minutes.
Next 24 minutes, alternate running for 5 minute and walking for 1 minute.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch.

Friday
Walk 4 minutes.
Next 24 minutes alternate running 5 minutes with walking 1 minute.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch.

Saturday
Walk 5 minutes.
Next 22 minutes, alternate running for 8 minutes and walking for 3 minutes.
Walk 3 minutes.
Stretch.  

Week Five

Monday
Walk 5 minutes.
Run 10 minutes.
Walk 5 minutes.
Run 5 minutes.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch.

Wednesday
Walk 5 minutes.
Run 12 minutes.
Walk 3 minutes.
Run 5 minutes.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch.

Friday
Walk 10 minutes.
Run 15 minutes.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch

Saturday
Walk 6 minutes.
Run 18 minutes.
Walk 6 minutes.
Stretch.  

Week Six

Monday
Walk 5 minutes.
Run 20 minutes.
Walk 5 minutes.
Stretch.

Wednesday
Walk 5 minutes.
Run 22 minutes.
Walk 3 minutes.
Stretch.

Friday
Walk 3 minutes.
Run 25 minutes.
Walk 2 minutes.
Stretch

Saturday
Run 30 minutes.
Stretch.

Thanks for posting this for me. I don't know when the office package will be installed and I didn't want to keep you waiting.

I see nothing wrong with this program. Why don't you finish it up then choose one from BT to import into your training log? There are many ways to reach the finish line!
2011-01-25 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3319306

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
kkvane - 2011-01-24 8:46 PM
mbasta - 2011-01-24 7:01 AM
kkvane - 2011-01-22 1:43 PM
mbasta - 2011-01-21 8:17 PM Happy weekend everyone!

Same to you, Melissa! No huge plans for the weekend. Some work, some homework, and some housework. ;-) We are going to dinner at friends this evening, so that should be fun. Food and chatting....

The sprint I'm signed up for is 250m swim, 20K bike, and 5K run (in September 2011). So far, I'm working on a couch-to-5K run/walk program I found on Women's Health Magazine. It starts really slow (I need that) and works up. I'm finishing up week 2 (out of 6). I'm up to running(wogging) 2 minutes at a time, but it is really kicking my butt. I would (maybe should?) slow down, but I'm already only going an average of 3mph. Ack. I thought I was walking at least that fast and some wogging would make me faster, but it doesn't appear so. Ugh. Should I keep pushing and hope/plan that it will get better/easier, or slow down to a snail's pace and hope I get faster? I have to finish the tri in 2 1/2 hours, so I'm kinda freaked about that....

I've also started slowly working on my swimming. Working more on trying to get the breathing to flow right now than actual form, etc. I looked at the swim tips here on BT, and have been doing the "bobbing" breathing practice.

Not working on the bicycle right now. I regularly ride 7-12 miles during the spring/summer, so I'm not worried about that part. I'll wait til the weather gets better to start working on that outdoors.

I guess I'm feeling okay about things at the moment. I'm already doing more running than I ever have before. I'm just kinda looking at that 2 1/2-hour time limit and fretting...

Hope the weekend is going well for everyone!!!

the bobbing exercise is a great start to water breathing! Just remember, start breathing out the nose before touching the water, while in the water, and until your nose exits the water. As long as air is coming out water can't go in.

Thanks for the tip and the encouragement on the time as well. I guess I'll see if I can slow down some more (already feels like I'm crawling) as I'm always out of breath. But then, just walking as fast as hubby/dog can get me out of breath. It's always been an issue for me... I'm still plugging along though - not giving up! ;-)

Slow and steady and it will come. Try not to pick on yourself about the speed. I was running so slow one day several months ago that an elderly lady shuffling down the sidewalk laughed at me... It's just part of the process!
2011-01-25 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3319313

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
kkvane - 2011-01-24 8:48 PM
mbasta - 2011-01-24 7:20 AM I am starting my new training program today! Finally the bronchitis is clear!

Here's the plan today:

-Cycle 50 minutes

Bike ME
Muscular Endurance
WU: 15'
MS: 5x3' w/ 1' RI  
#1 End at low Zn 3
#2 End at middle Zn 3
#3 End at upper Zn 3
#4 End at lower Zn 4
#5 Build to Zn 4 in first 45s and hold
CD: 15'

-Strength train 20 minutes

The trouble is that I can't remember how to read all of the cycle info jibberish...This part specifically "MS: 5x3' w/ 1' RI"   I'm going to check my tri training book.

Yay for feeling better!! I hope the workout went well for you. Did you figure out the code? Looks like Greek to me. ;-)

I did figure out the code! Actually, I need to give my BT friend the credit, I sent her an inspire asking for translation.

I had to do 3 minutes at the 5 heart rate zones listed, starting with a 15 minute warm up (WU) and finishing with a 15 minute cool down (CD).
2011-01-25 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3319370

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Threejs - 2011-01-24 9:20 PM
mbasta - 2011-01-24 3:55 AM
Threejs - 2011-01-21 8:47 PM
mbasta - 2011-01-21 5:17 PM Happy weekend everyone!

GO PACKERS!!!!!!!!Laughing

How did they perform?

Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!

Hehehe I don't watch sports and there's a big grin on my face for not knowing.

2011-01-25 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3319370

User image

New user

are you from wisconsin? if so where? i am from south east area :]

YAY PACK!

2011-01-25 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3256872

User image

New user

I have been away for awhile but I am back.

I was having some "blues days" and didnt really get to the gym. I took a cycling class last night though and it felt great! My membership is almost up at the swimming facility and I just overdrew on my bank account (GRR having no money!!!!) I graduated about two years ago and I am still living the life of a poor college student... paycheck to paycheck. which are quite small compared to the cost of living in alaska.

The cycling class felt fantastic and it really boosted my motivation!

Kari- so sorry to hear about your loss. When I read that, I got goosebumps. Absolutely devastating. I hope you are holding up alright.

Im glad to be back in the blog and will do my best to keep working out and eating right as well as posting! I havent gone out for a run yet but will hopefully stir up the motivation tomorrow.  Juneau is starting to get light again... and I feel myself as well as the city coming out of the winter rut.

"i never regretted a workout i finished" i love this mantra :]
2011-01-25 6:17 PM

Regular
Kari - I am so sorry to hear about the friends and their loss. My heart goes out to them.

No run yesterday, put on my running stuff, laid down with my kid to put him to sleep and ended up waking at 11pm. Whoops. However, one of the best night's sleep I've had in a long time. So it was worth it, I think.

Today:
Swam 40 minutes
4 x 25 drills (catch up, V, chicken, fingers)
1 x 100 pull buoy/paddles
1 x 200 pull buoy/paddles
1 x 200 front crawl !!!!!!
4 x 50 front crawl as fast as I could go - full disclosure even though I'm sure it's pathetic - 70 seconds for a 50
4 x 25 kick

800 yds

I'm pretty happy with the 200, it felt good. I want to add on 50 each time I swim or 100 per week, until I hit the 800 mark. Do I need to worry about practicing much beyond 800 at this point? I just want to know that I can complete the tri distance, then maybe work on whittling down the time?

I'm still taking too much time at the wall which is frustrating. I'm at the wall for at 2 breaths. And I'm so clumsy launching off, it's ridiculous.
2011-01-25 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3319853

User image

North Carolina
mbasta - 2011-01-25 8:20 AM
kkvane - 2011-01-24 8:38 PM

Here goes ;-) :

Every Tuesday = Yoga
Every Sunday = Walk

Week One.......

Thanks for posting this for me. I don't know when the office package will be installed and I didn't want to keep you waiting.

I see nothing wrong with this program. Why don't you finish it up then choose one from BT to import into your training log? There are many ways to reach the finish line!
Thanks for taking a look at the plan. That's a great idea to start up a BT program at the end of this one. It's also really nice to know it's okay to be slow. ;-) Learning lots from you guys - it's great!
2011-01-25 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3321422

User image

North Carolina
kwynnc - 2011-01-25 7:17 PMKari - I am so sorry to hear about the friends and their loss. My heart goes out to them. No run yesterday, put on my running stuff, laid down with my kid to put him to sleep and ended up waking at 11pm. Whoops. However, one of the best night's sleep I've had in a long time. So it was worth it, I think. Today:Swam 40 minutes4 x 25 drills (catch up, V, chicken, fingers)1 x 100 pull buoy/paddles1 x 200 pull buoy/paddles1 x 200 front crawl !!!!!!4 x 50 front crawl as fast as I could go - full disclosure even though I'm sure it's pathetic - 70 seconds for a 504 x 25 kick800 ydsI'm pretty happy with the 200, it felt good. I want to add on 50 each time I swim or 100 per week, until I hit the 800 mark. Do I need to worry about practicing much beyond 800 at this point? I just want to know that I can complete the tri distance, then maybe work on whittling down the time?I'm still taking too much time at the wall which is frustrating. I'm at the wall for at 2 breaths. And I'm so clumsy launching off, it's ridiculous.
My mom always says, you wouldn't fall asleep like that if you didn't need it. I tend to agree and still use that excuse when I can get away with it. Glad you got rested up and looks like you had a great workout today!

2011-01-25 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3321289

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
rachelann31 - 2011-01-25 5:26 PM I have been away for awhile but I am back.

I was having some "blues days" and didnt really get to the gym. I took a cycling class last night though and it felt great! My membership is almost up at the swimming facility and I just overdrew on my bank account (GRR having no money!!!!) I graduated about two years ago and I am still living the life of a poor college student... paycheck to paycheck. which are quite small compared to the cost of living in alaska.

Kari- so sorry to hear about your loss. When I read that, I got goosebumps. Absolutely devastating. I hope you are holding up alright.

Im glad to be back in the blog and will do my best to keep working out and eating right as well as posting! I havent gone out for a run yet but will hopefully stir up the motivation tomorrow.  Juneau is starting to get light again... and I feel myself as well as the city coming out of the winter rut.

Welcome back! I was worried when I checked your last log in date. When experiencing blues and not working out at least come here and chat a little. Build a team of contacts with like minds and your training will come along, even with a shaky start.
2011-01-25 8:37 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
kwynnc - 2011-01-25 7:17 PM Kari - I am so sorry to hear about the friends and their loss. My heart goes out to them. No run yesterday, put on my running stuff, laid down with my kid to put him to sleep and ended up waking at 11pm. Whoops. However, one of the best night's sleep I've had in a long time. So it was worth it, I think. Today: Swam 40 minutes 4 x 25 drills (catch up, V, chicken, fingers) 1 x 100 pull buoy/paddles 1 x 200 pull buoy/paddles 1 x 200 front crawl !!!!!! 4 x 50 front crawl as fast as I could go - full disclosure even though I'm sure it's pathetic - 70 seconds for a 50 4 x 25 kick 800 yds I'm pretty happy with the 200, it felt good. I want to add on 50 each time I swim or 100 per week, until I hit the 800 mark. Do I need to worry about practicing much beyond 800 at this point? I just want to know that I can complete the tri distance, then maybe work on whittling down the time? I'm still taking too much time at the wall which is frustrating. I'm at the wall for at 2 breaths. And I'm so clumsy launching off, it's ridiculous.

Good job with the swimming! As I mentioned before I'm no swim expert, so hopefully one of our swim team mates can help more here. What i do know: if you're constantly out of breath on the sidelines you're fighting the water. Slow it down and glide more. Go to the article section on BT and read the swimming series. I think there are 5 months (1 per month) worth of training sessions and advice for new swimmers. I think that these articles are free for non-paying members but I'm not sure. Let us know if it's not the case so we can help some more.

Here is a popular website: http://www.swimsmooth.com/

Focus on technique and less on speed to begin with. Speed will come with time.
2011-01-25 8:59 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Here is a fantastic swimming resource with information for beginner to advanced swimmers. http://www.swimsmooth.com/

I'm just using the change in font and colour like an announcement so that the team members who don't visit the board as much will hopefully catch it.
2011-01-25 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3321275

Veteran
rachelann31 - 2011-01-25 2:20 PM

are you from wisconsin? if so where? i am from south east area :]

YAY PACK!

I am from MN. And no, I was not happy when Brett Favre joined the Vikings
My husband's family is from Milwaukee so of course our kids are Cheeseheads....
2011-01-25 9:16 PM

Veteran
kwynnc - 2011-01-25 4:17 PM Kari - I am so sorry to hear about the friends and their loss. My heart goes out to them. No run yesterday, put on my running stuff, laid down with my kid to put him to sleep and ended up waking at 11pm. Whoops. However, one of the best night's sleep I've had in a long time. So it was worth it, I think. Today: Swam 40 minutes 4 x 25 drills (catch up, V, chicken, fingers) 1 x 100 pull buoy/paddles 1 x 200 pull buoy/paddles 1 x 200 front crawl !!!!!! 4 x 50 front crawl as fast as I could go - full disclosure even though I'm sure it's pathetic - 70 seconds for a 50 4 x 25 kick 800 yds I'm pretty happy with the 200, it felt good. I want to add on 50 each time I swim or 100 per week, until I hit the 800 mark. Do I need to worry about practicing much beyond 800 at this point? I just want to know that I can complete the tri distance, then maybe work on whittling down the time? I'm still taking too much time at the wall which is frustrating. I'm at the wall for at 2 breaths. And I'm so clumsy launching off, it's ridiculous.

I am impressed!  I am dreading getting in the pool so this is very motivating for me.  Thanks!

2011-01-25 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3321602

Veteran
mbasta - 2011-01-25 6:33 PM
rachelann31 - 2011-01-25 5:26 PM I have been away for awhile but I am back.

Welcome back! I was worried when I checked your last log in date. When experiencing blues and not working out at least come here and chat a little. Build a team of contacts with like minds and your training will come along, even with a shaky start.

We took a family vacation to Alaska last summer: Seward for Mountain Marathon to watch it - not do it , Anchorage and of course Denali.  One of our favorite family vacations.  Got arms length away from a moose and her 2 babies (on the bike path in Anchorage). All three teenagers agreed they would like to go back some day!
2011-01-25 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3321609

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kwynnc - 2011-01-25 7:17 PM
Today: Swam 40 minutes
4 x 25 drills (catch up, V, chicken, fingers)
1 x 100 pull buoy/paddles
1 x 200 pull buoy/paddles
1 x 200 front crawl !!!!!!
4 x 50 front crawl as fast as I could go - full disclosure even though I'm sure it's pathetic - 70 seconds for a 50
4 x 25 kick
800 yds I'm pretty happy with the 200, it felt good.
I want to add on 50 each time I swim or 100 per week, until I hit the 800 mark.
Do I need to worry about practicing much beyond 800 at this point? I just want to know that I can complete the tri distance, then maybe work on whittling down the time? I'm still taking too much time at the wall which is frustrating. I'm at the wall for at 2 breaths. And I'm so clumsy launching off, it's ridiculous.

1) Swim Workouts:

Beginner Swim Workouts: Endurance, Form and Speed
These workouts are all designed for beginners and range in length from 400m to 1200m
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Beginner Swim Program: Month 1
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

2) My philosophy:

When swimming "as fast as you can," don't sacrifice form. If your technique falls apart, it won't help you later. The goal is to "swim as fast as you can, using good technique."

"Horizontal = good. Vertical = bad." The more horizontal you are, the less 'effort' you need to move through the water.

3) Also, I calculate your workout today as 900 yds:
4 x 25 = 100
1 x 100 = 100
1 x 200 = 200
1 x 200 = 200
4 x 50 = 200
4 x 25 = 100
--------------
900 yds

4) Adding on 50 yds per session (100 yds per week) sounds reasonable.

2011-01-26 5:44 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Thanks Dee!

How is everyone's training this week coming along? I did my planned training sessions on Monday (cycle + strength). I felt lazy Tuesday and didn't train, now I will pay today because I am catching up on yesterday's sessions and doing today's (swim, bike, run, strength). I recommend doing the training when it appears on the schedule rather than deferring it. This isn't such a big deal at this time because it's all on the lighter end of difficulty, just time consuming. I have the day off and will get all of this done this morning before I let myself stray into other activities.
2011-01-26 6:42 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Goal Setting

I am a huge believer in goal setting and wanted to share some tips with the team. To set goals you need to take your hopes and refine, analyze and organize them. Go through the following questions to create achievable goals. I recommend writing down your responses. There may be more than one answer for number 1, if so use a separate section of the paper for each.

1- What do you want to achieve?
2- Reword this in a concise (1-3 sentences) statement. Make the statement specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and give a time frame for completion.
3- What specifically can you do to achieve this goal? Write 3 action steps. (These are the rungs on the ladder leading to your goal.)

Take the document you just produced and put it somewhere that you will see it often and be reminded of what you want to achieve and what you need to do to get there.

I have a goal setting worksheet that organizes this process neatly. If anyone wants a copy send me a private message with your email address. I would post it here but the document is too large for BT.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Curious - closed Rss Feed  

of 26