BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-12-28 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3256949

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred Doucette 2010-12-28 5:40 PM

2010-12-28 5:49 PM

2010-12-28 6:19 PM

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED!

AHHH! Saddles-something I am trying to figure out right now.  Rode a Cobb V Flow Max for about a year and liked it fine.  Could ride up to 2 hours with no problems but would have a little numbness and sometimes some chafing on longer rides. Got an Adamo Road after my HIM in early November and have been trying to work with it since then.  No problems with chafing or numbness but I just cant quite get it right.  As people point out you are on your sit bones so there is a break in period for your sit bones (actually the tissue over them) to build up a tolerance to the pressure.  My cycling volume is down but I have still had my share of soreness. I keep making minor adjustments to try to find the magic spot.  Not sure I will go with the Adamo or go back to the Cobb.  I have a fitting on Thursday and need to decide which saddle to take.   With the Adamo my butt is more comfortable in aero position as the saddle feels uncomfortable when riding upright. The Cobb was more comfortable when riding upright but fine in aero as well.  

What saddle does everyone use?

Randy

2010-12-28 6:26 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
I am using my stock quintana roo saddle.  I have close 2800 miles this year and I have yet to cuss the saddle.  My longest was only 80 miles, but I feel I will be able to do more.  Are you wearing good cycling shorts?  I wear desoto 400 mile shorts on most of my rides and they are nice.
2010-12-28 6:30 PM

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
For those of you looking for some other running data software, Sport Tracks is free and has a pretty robust set of features.  I use it from time to time, but WKO+ shows me most of what I need minus all the visuals and I like to keep all my workouts in there to monitor TSS, CTL, etc.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/
2010-12-28 6:30 PM

Master
South Alabama

Patrick-I have the DeSoto 400 mile shorts as well.  I really like DeSoto products.  Saw in your bio you did Iron Star?  I was a ways back from you at 5:27.  It was a chilly morning for a swim wasn't it?

Randy

2010-12-28 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3265121

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-28 3:49 PM So there is a thread in tri talk about 'does being a triathlete define who you are?' what do you folks think? Does it define you or is it a really big part of your identity? Do most of your friends know that you are a triathlete etc? Thoughts?

Yes, it absolutely defines me.  And who doesn't love telling people that you're a triathlete?
2010-12-28 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3265159

2010-12-28 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3265148

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
slornow - 2010-12-28 4:19 PM

AHHH! Saddles-something I am trying to figure out right now.  Rode a Cobb V Flow Max for about a year and liked it fine.  Could ride up to 2 hours with no problems but would have a little numbness and sometimes some chafing on longer rides. Got an Adamo Road after my HIM in early November and have been trying to work with it since then.  No problems with chafing or numbness but I just cant quite get it right.  As people point out you are on your sit bones so there is a break in period for your sit bones (actually the tissue over them) to build up a tolerance to the pressure.  My cycling volume is down but I have still had my share of soreness. I keep making minor adjustments to try to find the magic spot.  Not sure I will go with the Adamo or go back to the Cobb.  I have a fitting on Thursday and need to decide which saddle to take.   With the Adamo my butt is more comfortable in aero position as the saddle feels uncomfortable when riding upright. The Cobb was more comfortable when riding upright but fine in aero as well.  

What saddle does everyone use?

Randy

I have a V-Flow Max on the way here now.  Tried the Adamo Race and it's too wide for me.  I've been riding a Fizik and don't like it for more than about an hour.  I have a Selle Italia on my roadie and just did 2.5 hours on it this weekend and felt great.  May look into another SI race saddle of some sort if the Cobb doesn't work out.
2010-12-28 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3265148

2010-12-28 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3264787

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Catwoman - 2010-12-28 12:25 PM Can we discuss pedals next? Swimming & Aqua jogging completed for the day. 1:10 bike left on the schedule for this afternoon.

I'd like some opinions from any Speedplay users as well.  I have SPD SL pedals and can't seem to clip in w/o looking at my feet all the time.  And I almost bailed taking off at an intersection on an uphill the other day Embarassed

2010-12-28 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3265169

2010-12-28 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3265159

Master
Montgomery, Tx
slornow - 2010-12-28 6:30 PM

Patrick-I have the DeSoto 400 mile shorts as well.  I really like DeSoto products.  Saw in your bio you did Iron Star?  I was a ways back from you at 5:27.  It was a chilly morning for a swim wasn't it?

Randy

The wait was very cold for me.  I did not bring my sandles so my feet were cold from the damp ground. 

I may wear my desotos for IMTX so maybe the big pad will get me some bouyancy points. 
2010-12-28 6:40 PM

Master
Baltimore
I liked my Adamo road so much sitting up I got on for my road bike and it solved all my issues there too. As for the race, it was horrible sitting up. Gave me saddle sores on the trainer. The Cobb didn't provide enough pressure relief for me. Sending it back.
2010-12-28 6:43 PM

2010-12-28 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3265121

Master
Highlands Ranch
I thought about this the other day...after mentioning at work on my pending post-work run would be followed by a swim, length dependent on how the office day ended, one co-worker asked me "what, are you training for something again?"
I nearly answered "no, this is base building - the 20 week plan starts in late March" but instead opted for "just mental health exercise".  In the moment it seemed easier than the conversation about choosing to do a long distance event again, the amount of time and effort, etc. etc.
Along the same lines is the conversation where some one brings up "that thing you did in Boulder, dude your an IronMan"   "No, actually that was only 70.3, which means I'm not an IronMan..."
It's a lot simpler and easier for me to say "I like to swim and bike, and sometimes that includes doing some running as well"

2010-12-28 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3265158

Master
Highlands Ranch
Does the Sport Tracks capture cadence data?  I couldn't find it in their pages, the 15 seconds I clicked around there
2010-12-28 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3265177

Master
South Alabama

TriPatrick - The wait was very cold for me.  I did not bring my sandles so my feet were cold from the damp ground. 

I may wear my desotos for IMTX so maybe the big pad will get me some bouyancy points. 

My T1 at Iron Star was 5+ minutes as I did not want to freeze on the bike. I could have eaten breakfast in that amount of time!    Turned out to be a beautiful day once it warmed up a bit. 

I raced in the new DeSoto Liftfoil this summer.  It is a one piece suit with a pad that is a smaller version of the pad in the 400 shorts. Very comfortable in the olympic distance races I did.  The pad has a little buoyancy but not much. 

Randy

2010-12-28 7:28 PM

Master
Cobb V Flow Max saddle, De Soto tri shorts and Look pedals over here. I wore the DeSoto 400 mile shorts during my last IM. Since then I've switched to a DeSoto? tri short with a thinner pad.

If you decide to go with a Cobb saddle the customer service is great. I had a few questions regarding the setup of my saddle. John Cobb helped me (over the phone) fine tune a few adjustments to make the new saddle match the previous saddle position.

Which Look pedals would you recommend? I have Look Keo pedals. The main problem is that the pedals tilt backwards. Since I don't leave my bike shoes clipped on during races this is a problem. It takes a few seconds to get my foot in the right pedal. On my road bike (with an older Look setup) this isn't a problem.

I also need to practice mounting and dismounting the bike with my shoes attached.
2010-12-28 7:36 PM

Expert
A couple of things:

I use a Specialized Avatar saddle and like it pretty well. My LBS has a sit bone tester to see how far apart your sit bones are and it helped my choice on a saddle. I haven't ridden a lot of saddles but the Specialzed Toupe that I had was light but very hard. I had thought about an Adamo but it was a lot of money to "try" something out. I've also heard great things about the Cobb saddles and how they have great customer service.

I use Shimano SPD-SL peddles and I like them. They seem to have just the right amount of float for me and I can get in and out of them pretty easily. I do have to look at them every once in a while to get into them. The speedplays look like they would be easy to get into but there isn't much contact area with the shoe. I have never used them though.

I don't think that doing triathlons defines me. I would say that it is something that I do and I spend a lot of time training for it. It also is something that I talk to people about mainly because I have lost a fair bit of weight over the last year and people are always asking me about my weight loss. I'll tell them it's because I'm training for triathlons. I would say that my personality defines me more than triathlons.

I might be looking at getting a tri bike in the next month. I haven't even started looking in person but I have a couple of good triathlon shops here in Phoenix that have a great selection and customer service. They also have very good bike fitters working there. We have a few pros who live and train here and they get their bikes fitted at Tribe Multisport. I will have a budget so it should be interesting to see what I can get for the money and what will work best for me. I'll let you know when I start to look.

What things were important when you were out shopping for a tri bike? I know fit will be #1 but what about components, aero bars, wheels? I would like some feedback from people that have gone through the same shopping experience.

Off to do my training for the day.
2010-12-28 7:38 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

WOW!, you guys have been busy Wink

I purchased an Adamo saddle over the summer and I am very happy with it. It is SO much more comfortable then the other saddles I have tried(5) (Steve, you can try out a couple that I have if you want). I agree that they are not as comfortable in an upright position but that hasn't been an issue as of yet. I suppose in an IM I will be sitting up a lot more? (Fred is that pretty much the case for most people?).

Regarding pedals, what does everyone think about road vs mountain bike cleats/pedals?  Like I said in an earlier post I started out with mountain bike pedals and cleats for spin class and I have never changed. I am often told by the people at the bike store that I would be better off with road shoes due to the larger area of the cleat.  I really like being able to clip in an out easily and on either side. When I was watching the racers mount their bikes at IMAZ there were A LOT of people who had trouble clipping in. I don't know if that was nerves, the road cleat or a combination of the two .

2010-12-28 7:56 PM

Master
South Alabama

Shimano SPD/Ultegra pedals for me.  Only clip in type of pedals I have ever used.  Never really thought of trying anything else-but who know what the future may bring.

Randy

2010-12-28 11:54 PM
in reply to: #3265255

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Steve - Does the Sport Tracks capture cadence data?  I couldn't find it in their pages, the 15 seconds I clicked around there

That would depend on whether your bike pc captures that data.  If yes, then it will be displayed in SportTracks.

phxphotog - 2010-12-28 5:36 PM A couple of things:

What things were important when you were out shopping for a tri bike? I know fit will be #1 but what about components, aero bars, wheels? I would like some feedback from people that have gone through the same shopping experience.

Off to do my training for the day.

I was in a pretty remote area w/ no bike shops within a 2 hr radius when I got mine.  I bought it online, never having ridden a tri bike before.  Or a road bike, for that matter.  I used the Competitive Cyclist aero fit calc, found a bike at a good price, w/ decent reviews and a couple key measurements that were of the correct length and pulled out the plastic.  I would NOT recommend this method.  After having the bike for awhile, and actually going into some bike stores and seeing other brands, talking w/ store staff, etc, I regretted the purchase I made.  I have a Kestrel w/ Ultegra components, which I think is fine, but I would have probably chosen another bike because I just don't like the PD cockpit on it and I think there are some better bikes out there for me.  I've even swapped out the extensions for something different and still don't love it.  To do it over again, I'd get something from an LBS.

It's hard to give specific advice on what to look for beyond fit w/o knowing your price range, but you're in good shape being in Phoenix for sure.  Some big name tri companies around there.  If you're looking for something below $2k, then your component choices and wheel selection will be much more limited than if you have a $7-8k budget.  I'd research the bike brands online that interest you then compare the bikes in the store and see which you like the most.  Are you looking to podium at your races?  Do you want to 'look cool' on the bike or have a high bling factor?  Many factors will play into what you finally decide on.

Edited by shmeeg 2010-12-28 11:56 PM
2010-12-29 12:50 AM
in reply to: #3265205

Denmark
StMaas - 2010-12-29 2:03 AM Does the Sport Tracks capture cadence data?  I couldn't find it in their pages, the 15 seconds I clicked around there

I use it with a forerunner 305 and edge 500. I have the cadence sensor, and sporttracks shows the cadence data.
2010-12-29 12:52 AM
in reply to: #3265154

Denmark
TriPatrick - 2010-12-29 1:26 AM I am using my stock quintana roo saddle.  I have close 2800 miles this year and I have yet to cuss the saddle.  My longest was only 80 miles, but I feel I will be able to do more.  Are you wearing good cycling shorts?  I wear desoto 400 mile shorts on most of my rides and they are nice.

I'm riding the QR stock saddle to, and it is killing me. I have a adamo saddle coming in for test in a couple of weeks. We have a dealer here that lets you try it before you buy it. Im looking forward to that.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 76