BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2011-01-26 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3257607

Regular
Corona
Subject: RE: Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full
I hear that! I'm a pronator and all the shoes aren't very appealing. So I went with the Nike Lunarglides in one of the brightest color combo's I'm ok with wearing.

Foggy you're the man. I wish I had the time to hit 4 or 5 races this year. With a new job, house, and baby on the way I'm running out of time day by day. I might just live vicariously through your race reports for this year. If I could have it my way I'd do a tri every month.

Deisel, thanks for those trainer workouts. I'll hit that up tonight.

2011-01-26 11:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
I have a saddle bag somewhere, I just have to find it...otherwise, it will be added to my shopping list. I already have irons, but I do need CO2 stuff, I will look into getting better tubes, tires, etc. (I've always been sorta crazy about having extra bike supplies--I've got extra tires and tubes for all of my other bikes--and those ones I've only punctured once in 10 years!). Beyond that I have a floor pump already. Since I have to get a new helmet and upgrade the pedals to clippable ones I'm going to have to get a shopping list together.
I took my new running shoes out today, did walking/running...they feel Great! I've got a wonderful park full of running/walking trails that surrounds my work, so I think I am going to try to go running out there every Weds/Sun.
2011-01-27 10:47 AM

User image

Expert

Right now, we are focusing on getting you to your first race, and in my opinion, there is a progression to racing, the standard is usally:

First Season : Sprint
Second Season : Olympic
Third Season : 70.3
Fourth Season : 140.6

I have seen too many people finish their first sprint and next thing I hear is that they want their next race to be an Ironman. I dont encourage this, do I think anyone can follow this plan, yes I do, but too often it leads to burn out or injury and they leave the sport for good. It takes a time for your body to get use to that kind of base that is needed to finish a 140.6.

I am also a believer that everyone has their "distance" By no means does everyone have to do an Ironman, once you cross the finishline of any race, at any distance, you are a triathlete for life, NO ONE can take that away from you, EVER. I prefer doing Olympic Distance, its the distant that I excel at. Yes, I am doing an Ironman this year, for the dumb reason to say I have done one.

I found this article, just for informational purposes, just to get an idea of how to plan for an Ironman if you ever decide to do one. 

Actually, this is a good article for everyone, just ignore the word "Ironman"  and replace Ironman with "triathlon" all together while reading it and you will see how it fits into your goal this year.

Who Dares to Chase Their Dreams? A Beginners Guide to Ironman

For those first timers out there Ironman is an inviting challenge to take up - there are many traps for new players however so make sure you plan well and set appropriate goals early.

First step is make the goal more than doing a certain time or beating another person. Finishing the event should probably be your number one goal and there are few people who I would recommend having a more difficult main goal and stick to it!

Expand and flesh out your goal, be a bit more specific about what you want to achieve. When you get 75% through the event and it's starting to hurt you'd better have a good reason for finishing, for completing the job and staying focused on task. Also make sure you know why you are doing it. Have a good reason for taking up the challenge.

Make one of your goals to enjoy the PROCESS. If you have not already, visit the Breath4CF website (www.breath4cf.co.nz) and read Tracey's training dairy, it's a real example of embracing the process on the way to Ironman. Tracey is an example of how to get your moneys worth, and I don't mean that because it took her 15hr and 46min!

Another thing to remember is to stick to your original goal and don't get sucked into meeting other people's expectations. As you start training, uninformed people will start to ask you what sort of time you will do and if you can beat some other person. Don't go there... it's way cool just to finish your first Ironman. I think that's one of the beauty's of Ironman, everyone is a winner. A friend of mine doing his first Ironman put the added pressure of breaking 10 hours in his FIRST attempt, he ended up walking a fair bit of the run. After the race he needed a good dose of reality - Dude you FINISHED Ironman!

Goals for First Timers at Ironman

1) Finish (that's huge in itself)
2) Enjoying getting fitter and becoming an 'Athlete'
3) Enjoy the process of preparing for Ironman
4) Work on becoming more efficient in each sport (Technique!)
5) Work on becoming fitter and more robust

Some examples of good reasons for taking up the challenge include:

1) Daring to chase your dreams
2) To find out what you are capable of physically and mentally
3) To learn the power of commitment and determination
4) Doing something for your personal satisfaction
5) Becoming a role model for your family and/or Friends
6) Learning about the process of reaching difficult long term goals
7) Striving to achieve something personally difficult & challenging

Make it something that really pushes your buttons, you'll find it comes back to help you on race day and helps get out the door on those really tough times training too!

Deal with the mirage of other competitors

You cannot control how fast anyone else races. Don't go there. If you want to beat someone else the most important thing to do is focus on your own training and your own race on the day. That will give you YOUR best time and ultimately the greatest chance to beat someone else. In Ironman someone can be 20min ahead at 25k in the run and fall over. There were heaps of people who finished the bike ahead of me at this years Ironman New Zealand who I didn't pass because they DNF.

Develop appropriate, logical mid term goals

You need to bust the goal up into mid term goals that step progressively towards your big goal event. Without an appropriate set of mid term goals you are likely to over train, train hard at the wrong time, and ultimately miss the window of opportunity for the event. It is well known that 6 weeks working on an area is enough to see good improvements, especially if you are just starting out. It's also well known that if you go too many weeks focused on something without a break, there is risk of going stale or losing sight of your goal. I find 10-12 weeks to be ideal, especially if you are new to the game. This is one of the reasons that the Taupo (approx 12 weeks out) and Tauranga (approx 8 weeks out) 1/2 Ironman events are so well placed for Ironman New Zealand. The harder bit is what to do before summer. I recommend that you work with a coach and set some intermediary goals as these will form the basis for your approach.

As a general rule our coaching group at Endurancecoach.com use the following:

6 months out - either a 2hour run or a 4hour bike ride, Swimming 1km / 0.6 miles with ease. Can include a 1/2 Marathon, Swim Skill focus for the non swimmers or a long bike ride

4 months out - 2 hour run, 4 hour bike ride, 2km / 1.2 mile Swim. Can include a 1/2 Ironman but the 2hr/4hr run/bike rule is more important. From my experience more people have problems if they have done a 1/2 Ironman but not met the 2hr/4hr rule, than those who skip doing a 1/2 Ironman.

6 weeks out - 3 hour run, 6 hour bike ride, comfortable swimming 3km / 1.8 miles

4 weeks out - Bike/Run half distance TT, another 6 hour bike ride.

The best investment you can make in your Ironman experience is getting a good coach. I cannot emphasis enough how much a professional knowledgeable experienced coach can make to your Ironman experience, seriously consider this if you're thinking of giving Ironman a go. Compared to the total cost of doing Ironman money spent here is peanuts.

Group Training Essential

At EnduranceCoach.com have also found that utilizing a group approach at key times is also of great value. Our two training camps before Ironman NZ were very effective this year and are timed to meet our 6 week and 4 week pre race goals. Our participants found it very easy to get the sessions done. Indeed generally the biggest challenge was getting people to hold back enough, which we managed this year.

Socially the 'boot camps' were also great. Shared common goals and experience, athletes learning from athletes, and direct coach input. Plus it was a lot of fun! If you are going to train for Ironman, you need something like this, so it's either attend an appropriate 'boot camp' or manufacture your own with other Ironman athletes or roping in some training buddies for the key sessions, runners, and or cyclist you know are valuable for this!

Don't ignore or underestimate the value of support from friends and family (used loosely in this context). Work colleagues may also bear the brunt of increased workloads, while you embark on this quest - make sure you consider this. It's the time that's committed which is the issue, especially in the final 2 months. Once you have developed your goals, check that they are compatible with your realistic available time (travelling to the race venue for training and entering other events along the way, up to 20 or 25 hours per week PLUS down time because you are shagged). You should do a time and financial budget. If it's not compatible, revisit your goals or you need to find a way to increase the available resource (time or finance). Thinking about this now and sorting it before you ramp up the training is a very effective way to improve your final outcome! Include strategies to ensure stability in other areas of your life - business, relationships, and get buy in from your key support people around you.

Right then who among you dares to chase their dreams?

Edited by TriDiesel 2011-01-27 10:51 AM
2011-01-27 11:06 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-27 12:23 PM

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Honestly , when I read the article you posted, I chuckled a little. I am doing a mini (aka super sprint) distance triathlon for my first, but I plan on doing a couple sprints later on this year. For next year, I am contemplating a Mountain Bike Triathlon and some 50 miler mtn bike races, plus a sprint or two....when I have discussed doing this stuff with my husband, he asked if I would be planning on an Ironman eventually; I told him that it was NOT going to happen--I will be happy with sprints, maybe just an olympic WAAAYY down the road...for me, thats enough. I guess I'm somewhat abnormal, right?
I will happily cheer on and encourage anyone who does want to do them; I will also be in awe of them and inspired by them, but for me, I'm happy just being able to do the little races.
2011-01-28 6:58 AM

New user
the thoughts of an ironman both scare and inspire me.  part of me would like to do one, the other part doesnt know if i can take that much mental torture.  the mental training is the hardest for me, if i break down mentally, its all over.  i have an oly planned for the end of this season, but im not committed to it.  if i do well in the sprints, i will go for it.  next year i will add an oly earlier in the season.  i dont think i will be ready for a 70.3 next year, but that is a definite goal for me in the next 2-3 years.  if i do an ironman, i would like to do it before im 40....which gives me 7 years. 

2011-01-28 10:17 AM

Regular
Corona
My plan is to volunteer at IMAZ this year and sign up and ATTEMPT to do it next year. I'm using this season as a base for next year.

The minute I heard of Ironman was a few years ago and immediately wanted to do it...try it. So now my plan is for next year. If I can get my bike up to speed and feel comfortable with my fitness level it's 100% on.

That's why I'm part of this group. I need info and help on the bike to strengthen that leg. I saw big daddy's bio and figured this is a good place.
2011-01-28 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3326759

2011-01-28 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3326782

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
FoggyGoggles - 2011-01-28 8:24 AM Agreed with the posts above. I actually had a long conversation with a person who's ran about two dozen marathons over the last 10 years. I've known her for a few years but never asked "what was your time, or did you win?" I always assumed that she just kicked arse and was going for the podium every outing. Not even close! She goes for the finish line every time. Her goal is to finish without walking! I was in a total dumbfounded state... especially when I asked her what her typical pace was: 9:30 / mile. Wow! Completely changed my way of thinking: train to finish!

Foggy

Yup, thats exactly where I stand. As someone who is pretty out of shape; for me, the triathlon is something to complete right now--once I do, then it will turn to completing a sprint, and after that, maybe then it will be time to work on gaining speed and actually competing.
2011-01-31 12:52 PM

New user
ughhhh!!!!  i STILL havent signed up for any of the tris on my schedule.  what is my deal????  why cant i commit????  i know i just have to DO IT!!!

last week ended up being a kind of lazy week by tri training standards.  funny how working out 5 days a week somehow seems slackin!  but i was beginning to feel a little burnt out and knew i needed to back off a little before it turned into full blown burn out!!!  i experienced it last year and now know the early signs!!!

i really need to find a swim coach or get a lesson or two.  i am clearly doing something wrong.  my right shoulder was KILLING me last night.  i know its a stroke problem, i just cant feel what im doing wrong.  i know a lot of it has to do with my stupid unilateral breathing.  (which BTW, i tried to work on yesterday but didnt go so well). 

2011-01-31 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3326782

Expert
FoggyGoggles - 2011-01-28 11:24 AM Agreed with the posts above. I actually had a long conversation with a person who's ran about two dozen marathons over the last 10 years. I've known her for a few years but never asked "what was your time, or did you win?" I always assumed that she just kicked arse and was going for the podium every outing. Not even close! She goes for the finish line every time. Her goal is to finish without walking! I was in a total dumbfounded state... especially when I asked her what her typical pace was: 9:30 / mile. Wow! Completely changed my way of thinking: train to finish!

Foggy

Maybe 5% of the field at a race is actually racing to win, the other 95% of the field is racing against themselves. These races are a personally journey and goal. Something they want to do so they can prove something to themselves, to push themselves outside their comfort zones and become something they only dreamt about. If you happen to watch Kona on TV, you dont remember much about the pros, it was the age groupers that captured your heart.

2011-01-31 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3331131

Expert
laurabs24 - 2011-01-31 1:52 PM ughhhh!!!!  i STILL havent signed up for any of the tris on my schedule.  what is my deal????  why cant i commit????  i know i just have to DO IT!!!

last week ended up being a kind of lazy week by tri training standards.  funny how working out 5 days a week somehow seems slackin!  but i was beginning to feel a little burnt out and knew i needed to back off a little before it turned into full blown burn out!!!  i experienced it last year and now know the early signs!!!

i really need to find a swim coach or get a lesson or two.  i am clearly doing something wrong.  my right shoulder was KILLING me last night.  i know its a stroke problem, i just cant feel what im doing wrong.  i know a lot of it has to do with my stupid unilateral breathing.  (which BTW, i tried to work on yesterday but didnt go so well). 

Just pay for the race, its easy and painless, and you WILL thank yourself later on that you did.

Are you allowing yourself a recovery week? Training should consist of 3 weeks hard, one week easy. You cant go hard all the time. I am tired and next week is my easy week and I am looking forward to it. 

In my opinion, a swim lesson is one of the best return on investment for swimming
2011-01-31 2:30 PM

Expert
Monday Morning Motivation 

Chipping away. My entire life, this has been the only approach I’ve known for attacking my goals. I’ve just naturally come to visualize the obstacles that lay before me, standing in the way of my success in tangible, terrestrial terms and to see myself as a steady, forward-driving force that just incrementally pushes against the barriers and roadblocks, hammering away at the walls. One day at a time, one positive thought at a time, one productive action at a time for as long as need be. It’s not sexy or flashy and it sure isn’t glamorous, but paying dues never is. I’ve felt much pain in the past year, come to see hardship and negativity and cynicism. I’ve seen people broken and beaten and heard the voice of doubt and despair loud and clear. I’ve handled it all in the same way I always have, with dogged determination and uncompromising optimism, no matter how frustrated or weary I’m left by the grind on any given dreary day. Roll over and die or roll on. That is the only choice that remains, and there is no kind of choice at all. Methodically, decisively, confidently, with a chip on my shoulder that would crush an elephant, I remain defiantly resolute. My masterpiece in mind, my chisel in hand. Chipping away.

Edited by TriDiesel 2011-01-31 2:31 PM
2011-01-31 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3331131

2011-02-01 10:00 AM

Regular
Corona
Amen to that foggy. I grew up a surfer so I had the "surfer stroke" and my wife use to laugh at me because I was winded after 25 meters. She straightened me out and after working with me for the last year I can swim a few miles. The most important thing she taught me was to be as streamlined as possible and SLOW DOWN. Once I did that I was finally able get my breathing under control and focus on drills and my stroke. I'm glad I have her.
2011-02-01 10:17 AM

Veteran
YAY! I'm cleared by my doctor to resume normal activities. So recovery from surgery is complete. I'm headed to the gym for swim,bike, and run. Time to see how much fitness I lost with 12 days off.

2011-02-01 10:22 AM

Expert
What seems to scare or worry most triathletes is the swim, and my theory vs everyone else theory on swimming is way off. I was a swimmer as a youngin, so I swam on teams alot all the time, my theory for training is to swim 125% of your race distance, why swim 2500-3000 if your race is just 500 yards long in a sprint, but I see the other side of the fence, because not everyone came from a swimming background and the swim is probably the most "dangerous" part of the race, they feel more at ease by doing alot of swimming.

The old saying goes with racing, survive the swim, pace the bike, hammer the run
2011-02-01 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3333015

Expert
bscoles1 - 2011-02-01 11:17 AM YAY! I'm cleared by my doctor to resume normal activities. So recovery from surgery is complete. I'm headed to the gym for swim,bike, and run. Time to see how much fitness I lost with 12 days off.

Congrats on getting the clear to get back into it

Now, ease back into it, you wont be able to pick off where you left off, so take it easy and stay in Zone1/2 pace till your legs and lungs are feeling back up to par.
2011-02-01 10:32 AM

Expert
Once it gets closer to race day, everyone should head out and practice open water swimming. OWS is a whole different animal then swimming in a pool. You dont have the nice line to follow, the water is murky and visablitly is low. Its still swimming, but for some reason it freaks people out because of the above mentioned items. By going out and practicing OWS, you will know what to expect from the lake/river on race day. When you go out and practice, stay in waste deep water till you feel more confident on swimming in deeper water. I will find my swim clinics notes and pass them on, read them, maybe consider printing them out  and saving them

On the lighter side, HERE is a funny video that after your first tri, you will fully appreciate and love
2011-02-01 9:40 PM

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Great video :D
I recently joined a local triathlon club, and it has a few coaches involved to train--if you can afford them (I cant...); however, I found out today, one of the coaches is leading an 8 week sprint triathlon training class at a local gym--its basically $228 for the entire class if you're a nonmember (which I am--its a private 'country-club' style gym $$$$$) In any case, the classes/training are 2 nights a week (running, swimming, biking, and weight training plans are created for each participant), with added consultation for nutrition---I'm thinking this is a great deal! So, I'll be calling the coach in the next couple days, and most likely joining...What do you all think--good deal?
2011-02-02 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3334497

2011-02-02 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3334497

Expert
kgore - 2011-02-01 10:40 PM Great video :D
I recently joined a local triathlon club, and it has a few coaches involved to train--if you can afford them (I cant...); however, I found out today, one of the coaches is leading an 8 week sprint triathlon training class at a local gym--its basically $228 for the entire class if you're a nonmember (which I am--its a private 'country-club' style gym $$$$$) In any case, the classes/training are 2 nights a week (running, swimming, biking, and weight training plans are created for each participant), with added consultation for nutrition---I'm thinking this is a great deal! So, I'll be calling the coach in the next couple days, and most likely joining...What do you all think--good deal?

Does that include access to the gym for training as well on non class days? A coach is going to run around $100+ a month, that doesnt include training space. I would talk with him, make sure his style fits your training needs, then its worth it. Keep us updated on how it went
2011-02-02 9:46 AM

Expert
New Trainer Workout 

Warm-up

5-10 minutes

Ride comfortably within the range of Zone 1 to 2 intensity or an easy, aerobic warm-up

10 minutes

5 x (30 second with the right leg doing most of the work, 30 seconds where the left leg does most of the work, 60 seconds with both legs working to form smooth, relaxed circles)

12 minutes

4 x (both legs working for 30 seconds at 90 rpm, 30 seconds at 100 rpm, 30 seconds spinning at more than 100 rpm (keep your fanny from bouncing off of the bicycle seat with controlled, high speed spinning), recover with 1:30 of easy spinning)

Main Set (20-30 minutes)
Repeat the set below 2 or 3 times:

2 minutes

Zone 2 intensity (recover with easy spinning in Zone 1 for 2:00)

1 minute 30 seconds

Zone 3 intensity (recover with easy spinning in Zone 1 for 1:30)

1 minute

Zone 4-5a intensity (recover with easy spinning in Zone 1 for 1:00)

30 seconds

Zone 5b intensity, powerful riding seated or out of the saddle standing (recover with easy spinning in Zone 1 for 0:30)

Cool Down

8-13 minutes

At a low resistance, spin easy at Zone 1-2 intensity

2011-02-02 9:47 AM

Expert
How has been stuck in this massive storm? I have had no snow but tons of freezing rain and my city is an ice rink right now

Edited by TriDiesel 2011-02-02 9:47 AM
2011-02-02 9:56 AM

Expert

8 Tri-Training Tips to Help Plan Your Season

By Gale Bernhardt
For Active.com

Have you been daydreaming, looking forward to the summer racing season? If you are a new triathlete, you might be asking, "How can I get in shape for a triathlon?"

If you raced last season, your dreamy thoughts may ask: "What should I do different this season? How can I get faster? How can I go farther?"

If these questions are on your mind, know that the same training principles guide the plans for addressing either question, whether you're a beginner or seasoned triathlete.

The deeper we look into a training plan for an individual sport, we'll find further refinements of the training principles. For example, the details of the plan for an athlete doing his or her first triathlon are different from the details of the plan for an experienced athlete trying to get faster.

The plan for a beginning triathlete is different if the athlete is fit, compared to the plan used by a currently hibernating athlete. Of course, the training plan for an Ironman-distance event is different than for an Olympic-distance event.

The old saying "The devil is in the details" holds true for training plans. When working with the devil in your training plan, keep in mind the following training principles:

1. Individual and progressive overload must be applied to achieve physiological improvement and bring about a training change. A widely accepted rule of thumb is to increase annual training hours or annual volume by 10 percent or less.

2. Training volume can be defined as the combination of frequency and duration. When assembling your training plan, annual training volume is one piece of the puzzle. Broken down, the monthly, weekly and daily training volumes are as important as annual volume. Establishing your personal training volume based on what "the pros do" is faulty logic. Your personal training volume, to bring about physiological improvement for you, should be based on your personal profile, past training volume, current lifestyle, goals, the number of weeks you have to train before your key event, and your response to training.

3. The duration of your longest workout may or may not be the length of your goal race. It is common for beginning and intermediate sprint and Olympic-distance triathletes to include a bike ride in their training that totals the length of time estimated for them to complete their event. This is seldom the case for Ironman-distance athletes.

4. Depending on your current fitness, race goals and available training time, the frequency of workouts scheduled will vary. Some athletes will work out only once per day while others workout twice or more times per day. Frequency also applies to the number of workouts per week. Not only is workout frequency important, but so is frequency of rest.

5. Individual response to training does vary. Given the same training plan, individuals using that plan can make improvements at different rates and can have varying gains in overall fitness. This means there is not a single magic-bullet training plan that is right for everyone.

6. The duration and frequency of workouts vary with each particular training block and with the intensity of individual workouts. Intensity can be measured as heart rate, pace per 100 yards, pace per mile, miles per hour, power output and rating of perceived exertion, to name a few methods. The appropriate training intensity minimizes the risk of injury while achieving the goal pace on race day.

7. The mode of training becomes more important as race day approaches. For athletes utilizing a year-round approach to training for triathlon, aerobic cross-training in the early training blocks is appropriate. For example, northern-latitude triathletes often use cross-country skiing workouts to bolster endurance. As the athlete approaches triathlon race day, training that is specific to the triathlon (swimming, cycling and running) becomes more important than generalized training. In other words, the specificity of training becomes more important.

8. Goal-oriented triathletes must consider rest and recovery as critical training components. Performance gains are made when the body has a chance to repair and absorb the training workload.

Whether you are looking to do your first triathlon or improve your results from last season, if you haven't mapped your plan for success, now is a good time to get rolling.

In your design, consider the training principles outlined in this column. Haphazard training brings hit and miss results.

While a carefully thought-out and executed training plan does not guarantee a personal best this season, the chances for a well-timed peak performance are much better with a plan than without.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 15