Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2011-03-04 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3258876

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED
Hey Brian, I forgot to give you congrats on your swims. Those are good numbers. Swims in that range depending on size of the event will put you in the front of pack/front of middle. Which puts you in a good position for the remainder of the day. BUT beware of the runners, they'll get you every time.Yell

2011-03-04 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Good Morning,

I hope the week is going well for everyone.  I just wanted to take a moment to tell everyone how much I have been enjoying preparing for my first tri.  It has been a blast to start cycling having never done that before and then getting back in the pool after 23 years.  With work, my rides are on the weekends, but I have been trying to get in the miles as I can.  Generally 15-20 miles each time.  Slowly working up the distance.  The good thing about the roads around me is that they are not flat.  Plenty of rolling hills for the challenge.

The swimming is getting better and better.  I am feeling more relaxed now and under better control with the breathing.  This morning I went 1200 yds in 24:11.  That was pretty good for me as this was my first workout where I decided to go the entrie distance without breaks.  I could have gone more, but I had to get ready for work.

Next event for me is a half marathon on March 20 and then the sprint tri on April 9.  5 weeks to go.

Hope everyone has a great Friday.

2011-03-04 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3382419

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Hi Brett, good to hear from you. You are know experiencing a lifestyle change due to the training, the anticipation of competition and a healthier you. Just keep things in perspective, enjoy your improvements and you'll enjoy many years of endurance sports. A comment you made about having to get ready for work is reality for all of us. And it is what prompted me to adopt  my sig line " do what you can when you can" is all we can really expect........... Unless my wife agrees to let me resign my lifelong occupation and allow me to train full time, have weekly messages and..>>>>>>>>>>>>wakes up from day dream. Tongue out Ok I'm back. Anyway enjoy and have a great weekend.
2011-03-04 1:52 PM

User image

Arnold, MD

Hey Everyone,

It looks like everyone in the group is doing well. Its very uplifting to see the messages and progress people are making, especially those who were/are nervous (you all seem to be getting more and more confident as the weeks go on)

Just a quick update... I am out of comission swimming and running until mid april. Had my first PT appointment today - it hurt a bit, but the Therapist is very nice, she does tri's and also has a shoulder injury she is nursing back to health. I am able to do some strength training in the legs, and can do light stationary/indoor bike as long as I am not bouncing the shoulder around too much. Now its really time to get that trainer going.

Again, I love the updates and really like to hear and follow along with those that are improving. Seems as if the groups swimming is getting so much better. Anyway - keep at it everyone. I will let everyone know how I am doing and will brag about my 1/(arm in sling) trainer rides I expect to be doing the next few weeks.

- Vin 

2011-03-04 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3382333

User image

tri/tbay - 2011-03-04 8:40 AM Hey Brian, I forgot to give you congrats on your swims. Those are good numbers. Swims in that range depending on size of the event will put you in the front of pack/front of middle. Which puts you in a good position for the remainder of the day. BUT beware of the runners, they'll get you every time.Yell

Roy,

Thanks for the "pat on the back".  I am pretty excited on how everthing is coming together.  Looking at the times for the run in my sprint, I know the runners are going to eat me up.  Especially if I have to cut back significantly due to the achilles issue.  I will still have a great time smilling ear to ear as I am being passed by someone running a 7min/mi.

Brett,

I know what you are talking about.  I too am having a blast training.  Great swim!

Vin,

Good to hear from you.  Speedy recovery.

Have a good weekend all,

Brian

2011-03-05 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3383272

User image

Good afternoon,

Today quick laugh:

I decided to take a different route on my ride this morning due to the 20mph north winds today.  I ran over some glass and thought "I better stop to find out if I have a puncture". As I slowed down to a stop I remebered that I am still clipped  in.  I had no chance.  I tipped over, luckily on the grassy shoulder, and slid about 15' down the borrow ditch.  Two cars gave me a honk, as I was wrestling with my bike to get unclipped.

I guess I now have my first biking "badge of honor".

Have a good weekend,

Brian

2011-03-06 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3384054

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
bjflynn - 2011-03-05 2:18 PM

Good afternoon,

Today quick laugh:

I decided to take a different route on my ride this morning due to the 20mph north winds today.  I ran over some glass and thought "I better stop to find out if I have a puncture". As I slowed down to a stop I remebered that I am still clipped  in.  I had no chance.  I tipped over, luckily on the grassy shoulder, and slid about 15' down the borrow ditch.  Two cars gave me a honk, as I was wrestling with my bike to get unclipped.

I guess I now have my first biking "badge of honor".

Have a good weekend,

Brian

Nice going Brian and welcome to the club. It's amazing that people that don't realize what just happened dont' think to ask if you need assitance. Glad your OK.
2011-03-06 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Good Evening,

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I was very happy that the rain moved out of the area this morning, although I only took my little guy to the beach. Anyway, 6 days until my 1st Triathlon! Let the butterflies in the stomach begin. My training this week will be scaled down a notch, but I think I will be trying to get as much swimming in as possible just so I know that I can finish. My coach is going to time me on Tuesday. I think I am second guessing myself and still debating whether or not to use the wetsuit. I wasn't going to do any personal training this week and I am also debating whether or not to do the boot camps. I am in the dark about the week before a tri, as to how much training should still be going on. HELP!!! Thanks Courtney

2011-03-07 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3385431

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
buc20 - 2011-03-06 7:57 PM

Good Evening,

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I was very happy that the rain moved out of the area this morning, although I only took my little guy to the beach. Anyway, 6 days until my 1st Triathlon! Let the butterflies in the stomach begin. My training this week will be scaled down a notch, but I think I will be trying to get as much swimming in as possible just so I know that I can finish. My coach is going to time me on Tuesday. I think I am second guessing myself and still debating whether or not to use the wetsuit. I wasn't going to do any personal training this week and I am also debating whether or not to do the boot camps. I am in the dark about the week before a tri, as to how much training should still be going on. HELP!!! Thanks Courtney

HI Courtney, ah the moments before the first event. You are probably already feeling a bit anxious I would guess. This is normal, so don't worry about that. As to how much training you should do this week, training from an aspect of gaining of fitness isn't going to help the week of an event. So don't be tricked(by your mind) that your not in shape for the event. Usually the week of is the taper week, which is a reduction on volume leading up to the event. If your personal training gets you sore at all I would not recomment it, but if your comfortable maybe a session early in the week and thats it. I don't lift any weights usually the two weeks prior to an event. Boot Camp I would pass this week if I were you.

Remember the week of an event you should not be stressing the system but preparing the system to race. So don't overdue anything, rest and eat well. And this goes for all of the group, don't worry if the week of you gain a couple of pounds max, kind of normal since you've reduced your volume and your staying more hydrated. But watch your calories and don't overdue it on eating. You don't want to put on a bunch of weight the week of.

Courtney what is your reluctance on wearing the wetsuit?

I'll see if I can find out what the water temperature is at the pool.
2011-03-07 7:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Hey Roy,

Thanks! Whew! Yeah about the wetsuit I just got it and have not practiced swimming in it, but I guess no time like the present right? The Y pool is VERY Heated and I would probably pass out if I attempted to swim with the wetsuit. I guess I could go out to the beach and swim around for a bit and check it out since my training isn't taking up time this week. Also another question- probably silly- but should I buy a chip timing belt? I read that some people buy because they dont like the ones given out. Just didn't know I guess it is a preference thing. Thanks Again for all your help and guidance. Courtney

2011-03-07 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3385854

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
buc20 - 2011-03-07 8:14 AM

Hey Roy,

Thanks! Whew! Yeah about the wetsuit I just got it and have not practiced swimming in it, but I guess no time like the present right? The Y pool is VERY Heated and I would probably pass out if I attempted to swim with the wetsuit. I guess I could go out to the beach and swim around for a bit and check it out since my training isn't taking up time this week. Also another question- probably silly- but should I buy a chip timing belt? I read that some people buy because they dont like the ones given out. Just didn't know I guess it is a preference thing. Thanks Again for all your help and guidance. Courtney

You can wear for at the pool for a few hundred yards, in fact I would recommend it just so you understand what is going to happen while wearing it. You'll get faster and swimming will seem a hole lot easier because your hips are raised and your in a more streamlined body position. Rinse it good after you wear it to get the chlorine out of it. If you haven't had it on yet, you should do so. It is going to be tight, but shouldn't feel like it is strangling you. Although it might even with a correct fit feel like that the first time on. When you get in the water there should be a small amount of water that enters the suit, imagine a small layer between you and suit. It shouldn't feel like the gate opened and a flood occurred.

The chip timing strap for the most part are OK, some are better than others. I wouldn't worry about it.

2011-03-07 12:18 PM

User image

Arnold, MD

Courtney,

Get in that wetsuit asap... just like Roy said... do a couple of hundred yards in the pool, and if you can, see if you can get it on at the beach - just get wet with it, and then see what it feels like swimming. It will seriously help your confidence on raceday. You might have heard this, but wetsuits will help you float, so they really are great for weaker swimmers.

Many first time tri folks have never swam in their suits, you dont want to be there on race day if you dont have to. (If you do thats fine, but if you have the time and place to try it out before - do it) My last new wetsuit I wore on a small local sprint for the first time... (MISTAKE!) - the neck was too tight and I had trouble breathing. I had to stop / tread water, stretch it out like 4 times during the race, then I decided to just unzip the back at the neck... letting in excess water which slowed me down but at least I could breath.  After going through my post race eval, one of the big take aways was... never swim with a new untested wetsuit at a race. I had all the time in the world to try it out before and didnt because I was lazy.

- V

2011-03-07 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Roy and Vin,

Thanks so much for the warning. I guess I kind of forgot that I should try it out. It's the NERVES!!!HaaHaa! Well I am taking it to my swim lesson tomorrow morning and then I am going to the beach with some girlfriends and our kids. I need the open water experience as well since I have an Olympic in April. I will let y'all know how it felt tomorrow. Thanks Again and have a great night. Courtney

2011-03-08 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Ok so today my coach was going to time me doing 450yds without the wetsuit. Well, everything was going good until 200 yds when I just couldn't catch my breath. I think I psyched myself out. So we decided let's do something different with training today. So she taught me the correct breaststoke, so that I have a resting stroke, and then we did flip turns and open or touch turns. At the end I did swim 450yds in 9:22, not real happy but it is under 10:00. Trying to put a positive spin on it. So then I changed into the Wetsuit and WOW! Um... I can just glide right thru that water like nobody's business. I swam 300 yds and felt fine, so I plan on going to the Y tomorrow night and swimming the 450 with the wetsuit on and see my time.That will be my last workout until Saturday  I only had an issue with the velcro neck catching on my hair but with alittle adjustment it fit and felt perfect. So, I agree with the wetsuit helping my hips stay up, when I swim with the pull bouy I can swim longer and stronger. Thanks Again Guys! I will post my time tomorrow. Courtney
2011-03-09 6:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Alright Courtney glad your getting the chance to feel the difference with/without the wetsuit. Swim life is much easier with one on. Funny thing about that, for those who grew up swimmers and getting that natural feel for the water putting on a wetsuit is the equivilent to wearing a straight jacket for most of them. And they'll resist wearing one in our area, so you can see it becomes a great equalizer in this sport. So when you go to your events and you see the ones on the front line with no wetsuit they(the swimmers) are easy to spot. Try to resist using your rescue stroke if you can, and also this is a time trial start event you'll go in the water every few seconds apart from the next. You are not racing them, swim you own pace and that first lap or two take it easy, stay relaxed fined your breathing pattern and swim at a comfortable pace. You are already to going to be excited about the event which will elevate your heart rate a bit already and it is easy to peg your HR in the first minute of a swim and then the struggle begins, so take it easy find a rythym that will work for you.

Also the forcast for the weekend is a cool morning, your going to have a wet tri outfit on after the swim, so bring a long sleeve top to wear on the bike if you feel like you'll need it and maybe some lightweight gloves.

But mostly do this event to learn, have some fun and enjoy crossing that finish line with a huge smile.
2011-03-09 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3389634

User image

You are not racing them, swim you own pace and that first lap or two take it easy, stay relaxed fined your breathing pattern and swim at a comfortable pace. You are already to going to be excited about the event which will elevate your heart rate a bit already and it is easy to peg your HR in the first minute of a swim and then the struggle begins, so take it easy find a rythym that will work for you.

Roy, 

That was timely advice.  I was wondering about swim strategy for my event last night.  That makes sense.

Training:

I have decided not to do any runs this week, and try to nurse my sore achilles back from the brink.  Yesterday I did some strength training in the morning and had a good swim, 2,150 total yards, in the afternoon.   This morning I rode the trainer for 70min, looking back at my logs I am slowly but surely getting my HR up on the trainer.  I think the problem is a lack of concentration throughout the ride.  I am starting to recognize the loss of concentration sooner and get cranking.

Hopefully I can get back to runnning soon.

Courtney,

I am envious of your upcoming race.  Mine is still 5 weeks out.  Good luck, you will do great.

Have a good day all,

Brian 

2011-03-09 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Brian good to hear form you, the swim start is always an anxious moment or two or three depends on how many people are banging into you. But from just a swim on your own start like Courtney is doing its important to find a rythym and go. In mass starts in a lake or ocean finding that rythym may not happen for a couple of hundred yards or so depends on the size of the event. So yes a swim strategy is important to have and try to stay with it, sometimes its the outside factors that can interupt those plans.

Have you had any discomfort on the bottom of your foot where you are feeling the achilles pain? The aggrevation from Plantars Fasciitis is often felt on the bottom of the heel or up into the ankle/achilles area. Message the bottom of your foot and see if you have any tender areas, this might be the problem. Running is the culprit. Just a thought.

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-03-09 9:11 AM
2011-03-09 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3389872

User image

Roy,

Thanks for the tips.  My first race is a TT type of swin and the one in June is an OWS.  If I think about either of them too hard I start to get a bit anxious, which is probably not the a good idea this far out. 

I think it is definitly the Achilles.  The soreness is about 1.5" above where the tendon attaches to the heel.  There is vey little swelling associated with it, but is slightly tender when I sqeeze the tendon at that location.  I had a bit of a grinding or creeking sensation last week in the same area, but that has pretty much gone away.  Hopefully with ice and rest from running I will be back to training for all three soon. 

I did massage the bottom of my foot and I do not have any tenderness.

Brian

Edited by bjflynn 2011-03-09 11:41 AM
2011-03-09 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Ok so the timed swim in the beginning didn't go as planned again. I think I am not warming up enough and getting the heart going at a steady pace where I feel comfortable. After about 400 yds warm up I timed my 450 yds and came in at 9:00. Would it be wrong to warm up at the hotel in the morning pre-race or is that a no-no? What am I saying this is supposed to be fun and I am letting my competitive side come out and ruin it! Wetsuit felt good only issue again was some velcro ripping some of my hair again, but other than that, I am happy with it. I just need to keep thinking have fun, its just a swim,bike,run! Thanks again, courtney
2011-03-10 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3391141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
buc20 - 2011-03-09 9:32 PM Ok so the timed swim in the beginning didn't go as planned again. I think I am not warming up enough and getting the heart going at a steady pace where I feel comfortable. After about 400 yds warm up I timed my 450 yds and came in at 9:00. Would it be wrong to warm up at the hotel in the morning pre-race or is that a no-no? What am I saying is this is supposed to be funWink and I am letting my competitive side come out and ruin it! Wetsuit felt good only issue again was some velcro ripping some of my hair again, but other than that, I am happy with it. I just need to keep thinking have fun, its just a swim,bike,run! Thanks again, courtney

OK, lets see. There will probably be some warm up time allowed at the pool the morning of the race, so that might be a good time to warm the muscles. But this brings up a good point, there are races that no warm up is allowed and you have to be prepared for that. i.e. at Florida 70.3 at Disney last year no warm up allowed and I'm sure there are plenty of others. I see people use pull cordz to warm up the swim muscles prior to the race start. So something to think about. Courtney 9:00 for the 450 is fine swim like that this weekend. As for you hair getting in the velcro, no worries you'll be wearing a swim cap. Have you ever had one on, it can feel a little strange and tight but you will not have any hair getting in the way. Most triathlons require caps of different colors to differentiate groups. Not sure about this weekend with a pool swim but always will be the case in open water swims.

2011-03-10 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Roy,

Thanks! Yeah I did have a swim cap on it is just alittle piece of hair that gets caught but I probably didn't have it adjusted right. I will make sure I do on Saturday. Just resting up here on out. Going to the Strawberry festival today, after the Monsoon clears out. Hey, if any of you like extreme challenges Tough Mudder is coming to Tampa in Dec 2011. http://toughmudder.com/events/florida/ I signed up for Saturday Dec 3rd, 10:40 am wave! 12 miles and 21 obstacles!!!!!!! Have a Great Day!!!! Courtney

2011-03-10 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Ok good so your ready to go. Went to the Strawberry Festival on Sunday, stayed for The Judds. They were good and a very entertaining show. I do have to confess I had two dietary transgressions at the Festival. I had a corn dog and a Funnel Cake, at least the Funnel Cake was split between my daughter and my wife and I. I have probably not had a corn dog in 10 years, man was it good. Funnel Cake 4-5 years, man was it good too. Oh well I'll train harder to make up for it, NOT!!!!!

2011-03-11 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3391889

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

tri/tbay - 2011-03-10 11:49 AM Ok good so your ready to go. Went to the Strawberry Festival on Sunday, stayed for The Judds. They were good and a very entertaining show. I do have to confess I had two dietary transgressions at the Festival. I had a corn dog and a Funnel Cake, at least the Funnel Cake was split between my daughter and my wife and I. I have probably not had a corn dog in 10 years, man was it good. Funnel Cake 4-5 years, man was it good too. Oh well I'll train harder to make up for it, NOT!!!!!

Funnel Cakes.  Oh those are my weakness too.

The wife and I have a big ride this weekend.  100 miles.  Wish us luck.

2011-03-11 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
I haven't had the pleasure of riding a century yet, some day. Be careful and have fun. Had a good trainer session yesterday did the following:
10 min small ring
3x3 min at max sustained effort with 4 min active recovery
35 min steady tempo at 85 rpm or above
10 min easy

Busy weekend ahead for me, work then play golf with the mens association. At some point in the afternoon I'll try to get the planned run 7 miles in. Have a ride planned for Sunday.  Oh yea there is some yard work in there somewhere.

Have a great weekend everyone,

2011-03-11 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Good Afternoon,

In Bartow for the Tri tomorrow. Roy, yeah I wasn't bad at the Strawberry Festival, just had some whipcream and strawberries split betweeen 6 of us!3 adults 3 toddlers!  I sooooo wanted to try the Red Velvet Funnel Cake but couldn't bring myself to it!  I am slowly going Gluten Free and I baked my first loaf of GF Bread yesterday. It came out awesome if I do say so myself :0) Not allergic to Gluten just like the way everything tastes so far.

Sean Good Riding on the 100 miles this weekend!

Brian- Congrats, on your "Badge of Honor" so to speak! I hopefully won't be revisiting any of that this weekend!

Anyway, just waiting to go get my packet and then they are having a Pasta & Pizza Dinner for us and a First Timer meeting. I am drilling it into my brain to relax when I go for the swim. A nice, easy pace to get me to the finish! Um..... THANK GOD I HAVE A WETSUIT!!!! Brrrrrr!:0)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17