BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-01-20 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3312061

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
syscrash - 2011-01-20 5:40 PM Ok...how about what bike to ride on the trainer?  I've got a roadie and a tri bike.  I'm leaning towards the tri bike. I mean why would I train on a different bike than I'd race on?  On the other hand, a guy I work with who does tris is telling me to be careful so I don't wear it out. Not that I'm ever going to get over this cold, but if I did... :P  See my logs on the whole health issue...argh....patience

I use my road bike on the trainer with aero bars.  Have it set up as close as possible to the dimensions as the tri bike.  I really only take out the race bike for the long weekend rides and races.

2011-01-20 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3311851

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
clewis38 - 2011-01-20 4:11 PM

All, I'd like your opinions on speed/interval workouts for the run.  What seems to suit me best is to do intervals of 3 min at increased pace (about 6:15 pace) followed by 2 min of recovery pace (about 9:00 pace).  So that means each interval is 5 min.

In preparation for my HIM in March, I'm doing interval work once per week (the other run days are hills and long run), and I've been doing a 5 min warmup, then 4 intervals (of 5 min each), then a 5 min cool down.  So here's the question...is it better to train up for the race by (a) increasing the number of intervals, (b) increasing the duration of each interval, or (c) increasing the pace of each interval?

Currently, my non-technical, non-coached plan is to do (a)....use the 6:15/9:00 pace but over time increase the number from 4 to eventually 7 or 8...but I'm open minded.  What do you guys think?

All I've got to say is HOLY HAULING!!!  That reminds me of Macca talking about holding a 5:45 pace for the first ten miles in Kona.

Unfortunately I can't give any advice.  I can't do intervals because of achilles issues so I do even bother looking at that part of training plans.  Hopefully that will change this year!

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2011-01-20 6:42 PM
2011-01-20 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

New user
I determined my FTP using a 20 min ride as part of a series of tests for VO2 max, etc. on my CT.

My FTP came out as 201.

My ride tonight was 60 mins  3x10 intervals at 200W avg.  10 min spin between at 150w.

2011-01-20 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3312057

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
jamiej - 2011-01-20 4:39 PM Holy post explosion. Is everybody bored at work or something? My workout today was a 1 hr bike with 2/3 of that being at threshold watts. It was very, very tough but I felt pretty darn good the entire time. So to touch on questions/comments: @Dan-----nice job working in your HR zones. As you get more comfortable in your target race HR zone start to mix in 5-10'/hr of Z3/Z4 work (1',2', 5' intervals, even several 30sec is good) @Jerry---have you determined your FTP? That is critical to power training. If you did, how did you test and what was the result? @Dave---I don't see any problem breaking up the workouts. Last year I did several broken long runs (2 a days and a few 3 a days) just b/c life interfered and I wanted to get the mileage in. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. @Jennifer------welcome back. I thought maybe you went somewhere else. RPE is great but I would strongly recommend a cheapie HR monitor. You can get them all over the place. I've seen them at Target, Walmart etc. You don't need anything fancy at all. Just something that gives you a HR number and maybe a timer. Polar, Timex and Garmin are good brands. It seems like most people use HR so if you are interested in buying one and opinions I would post that to this group. Just my opinion. @Brien----welcome back to health! @Radar----did we ever get a first name for you. My opinion on spin classes is that they are better than nothing. Spin class/trainer---- I prefer trainer. Ultimately go to/use what will keep you cycling through the winter. If you are so bored on the trainer that you don't use it then that's a problem. If not, trainer is the better choice b/c you do the training that YOU need to do on the bike that you will race and in the position in which you hope to race. I strongly recommend a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. They are expensive but they are worth it. The ride quality is night and day to a cheapie trainer. Been there, done that. @Cody----I like the answers that Dan and Dave gave you. For me, I've always used increase mileage to increase my speed. During IM training I run 40-50mpw at about 7:40. When I run a HIM in the middle of this training I can usually do 1:28 ish. So for me, many miles at a slower pace increases my ability to run fast. I'm doing actual speedwork for the first time and am basically just doing 4-6 1 mile repeats with 1 minute rest in between. This group is really coming on strong now! Keep up the interaction. Everybody has different experiences and methods so please share. Jamie

Jamie...Question about "threshold" watts.  Not having a power meter, I am curious how that is tested/calculated.  Also, how would some using HR determine their threshold?  Is that just a specific HR zone & which one? 
2011-01-20 10:20 PM
in reply to: #3311851

User image

Thanks for all the great thoughts on this.  I think I'll try each of these out over the next few weeks and see which one "feels" like it'll get me most ready for the race.  I've been doing the invervals mostly just to break out of the rut of running always at an 8 min pace.  So far it's worked, since my long runs (~10 miles) have come down to an overall pace of about 7:45.  Thats about the speed of the run of my last HIM, but this time I'm hoping to average 7:15.  We'll see. Laughing

I started as a runner, so that's always been my most comfortable of the 3 events.  Where I really need help is on the bike.  I know it takes a while to build the base, but after more than a year of consistent riding, I'm still way slower than I'd like to be.

2011-01-21 2:48 AM
in reply to: #3312374

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
JBougher - 2011-01-20 8:47 PM

I determined my FTP using a 20 min ride as part of a series of tests for VO2 max, etc. on my CT.

My FTP came out as 201.

My ride tonight was 60 mins  3x10 intervals at 200W avg.  10 min spin between at 150w.

Sounds good. Just wanted to make sure you did the FTP so you knew how much power to throw down while training. I'll assume that you are following a program of some sort to raise it. When you are working at threshold you should feel pretty much like puking.

Jamie

2011-01-21 2:55 AM
in reply to: #3312420

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
sbsmann - 2011-01-20 9:14 PM

jamiej - 2011-01-20 4:39 PM Holy post explosion. Is everybody bored at work or something? My workout today was a 1 hr bike with 2/3 of that being at threshold watts. It was very, very tough but I felt pretty darn good the entire time. So to touch on questions/comments: @Dan-----nice job working in your HR zones. As you get more comfortable in your target race HR zone start to mix in 5-10'/hr of Z3/Z4 work (1',2', 5' intervals, even several 30sec is good) @Jerry---have you determined your FTP? That is critical to power training. If you did, how did you test and what was the result? @Dave---I don't see any problem breaking up the workouts. Last year I did several broken long runs (2 a days and a few 3 a days) just b/c life interfered and I wanted to get the mileage in. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. @Jennifer------welcome back. I thought maybe you went somewhere else. RPE is great but I would strongly recommend a cheapie HR monitor. You can get them all over the place. I've seen them at Target, Walmart etc. You don't need anything fancy at all. Just something that gives you a HR number and maybe a timer. Polar, Timex and Garmin are good brands. It seems like most people use HR so if you are interested in buying one and opinions I would post that to this group. Just my opinion. @Brien----welcome back to health! @Radar----did we ever get a first name for you. My opinion on spin classes is that they are better than nothing. Spin class/trainer---- I prefer trainer. Ultimately go to/use what will keep you cycling through the winter. If you are so bored on the trainer that you don't use it then that's a problem. If not, trainer is the better choice b/c you do the training that YOU need to do on the bike that you will race and in the position in which you hope to race. I strongly recommend a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. They are expensive but they are worth it. The ride quality is night and day to a cheapie trainer. Been there, done that. @Cody----I like the answers that Dan and Dave gave you. For me, I've always used increase mileage to increase my speed. During IM training I run 40-50mpw at about 7:40. When I run a HIM in the middle of this training I can usually do 1:28 ish. So for me, many miles at a slower pace increases my ability to run fast. I'm doing actual speedwork for the first time and am basically just doing 4-6 1 mile repeats with 1 minute rest in between. This group is really coming on strong now! Keep up the interaction. Everybody has different experiences and methods so please share. Jamie

Jamie...Question about "threshold" watts.  Not having a power meter, I am curious how that is tested/calculated.  Also, how would some using HR determine their threshold?  Is that just a specific HR zone & which one? 

There are several tests to determine threshold. Two of the most popular are:
A) 2X20' (2'). Take the entire 42' effort and the avg watts is threshold. You could also take your HR over the 42' and use that as max HR.
B) 1X20 Take 95% of that for FTP/Max HR

The gold standard is 1 hour all out. For most, including me, that test is way too daunting to perform every 4-6 weeks.

The effort is a bit tricky. It really needs to be all out. It really, really hurts. "I feel like puking" kind of hurts. The trick though is to hold back just a very little bit so you don't die at the end of whichever test you use. It takes some practice to nail each test. You should be sucking wind, slobbering and unable to talk during the test. Threshold workouts are definitely NOT the time to practice nutrition/hydration!

Jamie
2011-01-21 3:00 AM
in reply to: #3312604

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
clewis38 - 2011-01-20 11:20 PM

Thanks for all the great thoughts on this.  I think I'll try each of these out over the next few weeks and see which one "feels" like it'll get me most ready for the race.  I've been doing the invervals mostly just to break out of the rut of running always at an 8 min pace.  So far it's worked, since my long runs (~10 miles) have come down to an overall pace of about 7:45.  Thats about the speed of the run of my last HIM, but this time I'm hoping to average 7:15.  We'll see. Laughing

I started as a runner, so that's always been my most comfortable of the 3 events.  Where I really need help is on the bike.  I know it takes a while to build the base, but after more than a year of consistent riding, I'm still way slower than I'd like to be.

Hey Cody. If you started as a runner and your bike is holding you back then winter is the perfect time to focus on the bike. Ride a ton at and above your HR zone/watts. Base is important but, unlike running for me, the only way I got faster on a bike was to train faster on the bike.

jamie
2011-01-21 5:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
1 hr trainer ride for me this morning before work. ~50% @ threshold and the rest @ HIM pace. May run later but it's supposed to be really cold today so we'll see what happens.....

Jamie
2011-01-21 8:25 AM

User image

Windsor, ON
Was going to head out for a run but it is pretty cold this morning.  Going to try after work.

I have a question about bike saddles.  Right now I have a Selle Italia T1, and have used it since last year, with varying degrees of discomfort.  I feel like I cannot get comfortable while aero in it recently.  I am thinking about getting an Adamo Road or one of the Cobb Saddles.  Does anyone have any experience with either of these or advice about them?
2011-01-21 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Well, went to the pool this AM after not being there for over a week, plus recovering from what I believe to be food poisoning, not the flu.  So I backed up my yardage a little from 1100 to 900 to get reacquainted.  Felt good so I guess I didn't lose much in my off time.  I'll be back at the pool Sat & Sun to play catch for what I've missed.

I came prepared to do a 30 min run on my lunch break today, but like Jamie, it's suppose to be cold with 25 MPH winds so I don't know if I'll wimp out yet or not..LOL 

2011-01-21 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3312972

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Danrl88 - 2011-01-21 9:25 AM .  I am thinking about getting an Adamo Road or one of the Cobb Saddles.  Does anyone have any experience with either of these or advice about them?

I used the Adamo Road last season and really like it, but it seems better for aero use.  I went on a couple rides with a local club and I had to stay on the base bar for alot of the ride (they frown on aerobars..lol) and whenever I was on the base bar for extended period, I started getting numbness in "that" area.  But, I was fitted for aero so that's probably why.

I think I'll be trying the Cobb Max for my new Jamis tri bike this year and see how that one works.
2011-01-21 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3312972

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Danrl88 - 2011-01-21 9:25 AM

Was going to head out for a run but it is pretty cold this morning.  Going to try after work.

I have a question about bike saddles.  Right now I have a Selle Italia T1, and have used it since last year, with varying degrees of discomfort.  I feel like I cannot get comfortable while aero in it recently.  I am thinking about getting an Adamo Road or one of the Cobb Saddles.  Does anyone have any experience with either of these or advice about them?

I did 2 years with the Adamo race and loved it. It wore out so I picked up a Cobb V flow max. I did this b/c Cobb has a 6 months guarantee with 100% money back. You may want to double check that but I'm sure it's still in place.

I found the saddles pretty much interchangeable. Great for aero use. I'll never use a 'normal' saddle again. Would rec the Cobb b/c of its money back guarantee for 6 months.

Jamie
2011-01-21 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jamie- do you have room for one more?? Thanks!! Sam in Lafayette, IN
2011-01-21 10:52 AM

User image

Windsor, ON
Ray & Jamie, thanks for the replies. The Cobb saddles do have the 180 day guarantee, which was what attracted me in the first place. But I found a new Adamo Road from sunristri for 108...the Cobb v-flow plus I was looking at was 149.99. So I was leaning towars the Adamo because of the price.
2011-01-21 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3313367

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
I used the Adamo race. It is a very hard saddle but I liked that. The Adamo road looks a little more padded but I've never been on one. The vflow max is much more soft. I liked that too. In the end, I just like the split rail saddles period. If you've never used the split rails and find that you absolutely can't stand it then the Cobb may be worth the extra 50 bucks just for the piece of mind that you can return it.

Tough call.

Jamie

Edited by jamiej 2011-01-21 11:08 AM

2011-01-21 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
ALL:

Any objections to letting one more into the group (nuttysami123)? I know I closed it earlier and don't want to p.o. anybody by letting one more in. I don't mind, if you don't.

Jamie
2011-01-21 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3313411

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Run at lunch?  NOT!  With 30 MPH gusts being recorded, it's just not appealing.  Man I hate winter..lol

jamiej - 2011-01-21 12:07 PM ALL: Any objections to letting one more into the group (nuttysami123)? I know I closed it earlier and don't want to p.o. anybody by letting one more in. I don't mind, if you don't. Jamie

I don't have a problem.

2011-01-21 11:19 AM

User image

Bike question.  I read alot about people wanting to have the lightest gear possible in order to be faster.  I'm not out for speed.  Doesn't it make more sense to throw a bulkier saddle on your bike that increases comfort during the ride rather than to use these hard little things that end up wreaking havoc on your privates?  We mountain biked for 4 days in Aruba, and on day three, they had to bring me a new bike because mine wasn't shifting properly.  The new bike had a different saddle (bigger and softer).  The difference in comfort was so profound that we all fought over who got to ride the new bike on the last day.

BTW, am I really the only woman in this group?  Was there a female only HIM/IM group that I missed or is it really that rare for a woman to do these events?

Jennifer
2011-01-21 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3313452

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
diamondgirl1973 - 2011-01-21 12:19 PM Bike question.  I read alot about people wanting to have the lightest gear possible in order to be faster.  I'm not out for speed.  Doesn't it make more sense to throw a bulkier saddle on your bike that increases comfort during the ride rather than to use these hard little things that end up wreaking havoc on your privates?  We mountain biked for 4 days in Aruba, and on day three, they had to bring me a new bike because mine wasn't shifting properly.  The new bike had a different saddle (bigger and softer).  The difference in comfort was so profound that we all fought over who got to ride the new bike on the last day.

BTW, am I really the only woman in this group?  Was there a female only HIM/IM group that I missed or is it really that rare for a woman to do these events?

Jennifer

Jennifer - The weight difference between saddles will be irrelevant especially when it comes to comfort.  Being comfortable on the bike will ensure you get through the ride pain-free and be ready for the run.   Last year I used a hybrid bike with aerobars and road tires.  The bike weighed in at almost 28 lbs but I was comfortable and still did really good bike splits..usually top 20 overall.
2011-01-21 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3313474

User image

Ray-
     I've never weighed it, but my bike must weigh less than that because I can do bicep curls with it   I bought the bike used, and I guess it does have a men's racing saddle on it.  I guess I need to start scoping out women's gear...

2011-01-21 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jennifer- if the group will have me, then I'm also female and we can represent!
2011-01-21 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3313443

User image

Extreme Veteran
RVachon - 2011-01-21 11:16 AM Run at lunch?  NOT!  With 30 MPH gusts being recorded, it's just not appealing.  Man I hate winter..lol

jamiej - 2011-01-21 12:07 PM ALL: Any objections to letting one more into the group (nuttysami123)? I know I closed it earlier and don't want to p.o. anybody by letting one more in. I don't mind, if you don't. Jamie

I don't have a problem.

I'll second....
2011-01-21 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3312977

User image

Extreme Veteran
Was too cold for anything here.  Was going to run or swim, but just couldnt get out of the house this morning. 

Supposed to do 10 to 12 mile run this weekend.  Will be a challenge doing it indoors.  There is an indoor 1/8 mile track I could use, but thats a lot of laps!  Doesnt look like Outside will be an option anyway!  All I know is I have to finish by noon on Sunday.
2011-01-21 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you everyone!! So, about me- this is the beginning of my fourth season tri's.. I started with Sprints.. then did sprints and oly.. then last year, moved up to the HIM distance. This year I'm doing Muncie 70.3 as my A race. I want to get better, meaning faster. I don't really train with others (my preference) and I think that joining this group will help me improve as we can shoot thoughts and ideas off of each other.
I come from a non-athletic background. At one point, about 13 years ago, I weighed in at a whopping 224#! I've gotten that under control, started running about 12 years ago and have never looked back. As a runner- I've done all sorts of things- including 6 half marys.
Currently, I'm doing Jorge's winter cycling plan. I'm in week 7 of it. My official season training plan starts on 1/31 and I think I'm going to see Jorge's plan through the end for the cycling part of things.. good idea or not??
Again, thank you for taking me on and I look forward to chatting with everyone!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40