BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-05-02 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

So I found the resources published by Dr. Skiba and he has a quick article on strength training and the polymetrics (including some good polymetric exercises to do): http://www.physfarm.com/inside/articles_running_plyometrics.html

I didn't want to copy and paste here, thinking about possible copywrite violations etc...anyone a lawyer and know if I can do that if I credit him?

2011-05-02 8:33 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Thought I'd weigh in on the stretching. I have heard that static stretching is not recommended, also. Because of the warming up first, then stretching bit,etc., some people may not do it. I almost never stretch. It is probably important for flexibility and soreness. The few times I have stretched with my trainer didn't seem to really help compared to my "not stretching" workouts and stretching has always been very uncomfortable for me. 

Excited for you about your wedding, jseigs! Would love to have a gun to go around and "buy" stuff with!! 

2011-05-02 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Great information on strength training!!

For me, strength training would be for personal reasons more than for racing reasons. I have very weak shoulders (always have) and as soon as I hit the water I can definitely feel it. I'm talking within the first 200-300 yards, I can feel the fatigue and soreness. This was always an issue for me in my swimming years, so I gave up any hope of becoming a butterflier and switched to distance and backstroke. I also have a weak core, but I blame that on giving birth!

Since I have been taking spin since January, I can certainly feel my endurance has much improved! So for the next 3 months I will focus more on endurance training, and maybe add a few days of strength training when I can fit it in. It seems like the off season is an appropriate time to do that, based on your comments. Thank you!!

Nicole, I don't have any technical information to give you on HRM's, but I LOVE mine! It's one of those 'I don't leave home without it' things!

2011-05-02 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3475655

User image

New user

South Jersey
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - Open

First time in a mentor group of any type.  I have to say, thank you all - I came looking for information and have found motivation!  I was going to catch up on emails yesterday, only had an hour and a half of free time in between family outings.  After clicking on a few training schedules and seeing you all out there moving, I got myself out for a bike ride and first brick ever...wow, that felt strange.

@Randy - Thank you for your post on what to expect race day.  Very insightful, the fewer surprises the better so I can just focus on doing the best of my ability.  I did a small brick yesterday, taking your advice...need to practice that much more.  The Sprint is OWS, I need to get out there.  I attempted it last year and couldn't swim, it was pitiful.  I spent most of the winter teaching myself to swim, so I'm excited to see how that translates out in the current.

@khharms - I'm not crazy about weight training either, but I found an hour class at my local gym that targets every major muscle group in the body.  I try to do this 1-2 times a week, and only started recently.  The group atmosphere is a great motivator.

@jsiegs - I need to invest in a proper bike.  It sounds like you just did this recently, can you share your wisdom.  I probably have to prove to my husband that I'm sticking with this before he will consent to the purchase but would like to be prepared when the time comes. 

@djb45 - I've struggled with running speed most of the 6 years I've been running.  I can add miles but once I start pushing the speed aliments arise.  I'm really trying to listen when my body starts aching more than it should after a hard run and back off for a week or two.  When frustrated I remember an old quote, ".... That which grows fast withers as rapidly; and that which grows slow endures." 

@chuggar99 - It took me 1-2 months to get the bilateral breathing down.  Hang in there, it comes with practice...lots of it.  While training, I plan on practicing the best form possible, come race day I'm doing whatever gets me the fastest.  Good Luck!

To everyone new, Welcome! 

2011-05-02 9:30 AM

Just from a running background's perspective - I rarely stretch. Especially if you do longer distance running (HM, marathon, ultras), you're actually physiologically more efficient if you're less limber. Of course, it apparently hurts you on the bike (back and hamstring flexibility is a good thing) and leave you more liable to be injured, so take it how you will.

I think the general consensus now is to never do static stretching. On the dynamic side, I tend to do plyometric drills (high knees, butt kickers, bounds, lunges, skips, karaoke, etc) that suffice about once per week. I do core workouts primarily (pushups, planks, as much as possible on those inflatable balls).

A question on the plans... if you have a strong aerobic base and are much stronger in one area than another, what's the best way to develop a plan if you can't afford a coach?

Thanks!

2011-05-02 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3477094

User image

New user

South Jersey
On stretching:  Completely agree with not stretching "cold" - If you stretch before, I'd be careful.  I pulled a quad BEFORE a soccer game, trying to warm up in a rush for a game.  We need two ladies on the field or forfeit the game, so I had to play on it...not good, I was out a while after that.  

2011-05-02 9:40 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Great group!

jsiegs-Joe-Baltomore
slornow-Randy-Fairhope, AL
cbrookhart-Christy-Baltimore
Hubbie-Beth-?
nmladic-Nicole-Oak Park, IL
djb45-Debbie-Rowlett, TX
khharms-Karla-Katy, TX
PnkHxC81-Kevin-Las Vegas
[email protected], FL
Savage8778-Nick-Jacksonville,FL
MattCan-Matt-College Place, WA
dughgoue-Doug-Cincinnati, Ohio
smoothiebar-Adam-Portland, ??
catherinern-Denver, CO
gwied-Glenn-Ames, IA
wangersinc-Xaio-NYC
chugger99-James-Manchester, UK
JoyDeh-Joyce-Port Republic, NJ

I think that is everyone.  Correct me if I have worng or inacurate info.  I need to update my friends to add our recent arrivals.

Randy
2011-05-02 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

This is kind of relating to the training plans, but mostly shows my craziness.  I use a plan that uses RPE.  I'm a nerd and I like numbers.  I use HR to help me figure out my RPE.  I do a lot of my bike rides on a trainer.  Again, I need numbers, so I got a cadence sensor for my Garmin.  I've used it for about a month.  I have been so dissapointed in my rides on the trainer.  So much so that I have actually quit in the middle of rides.  I was struggling to get to 15 mph.  I felt my RPE was 9 and I wasn't going more than 14mph.   Last night I discovered I didn't have the correct wheel size set in my Garmin.  So, because I rely so much on numbers, I didn't listen to my body and I ruined several rides.  That said, I stopped my ride(and my Garmin) today at 30 min to move my seat, got back on and rode for about 20 min before I realized I forgot to push start

Christy

2011-05-02 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3476970

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-05-02 7:23 AM

After that I'm meeting up with my fiancee at Bed Bath and Beyond to continue adding to our registry.  Surprisingly, I don't mind that...give me the scan gun and I go crazy.  My fiancee gets a little annoyed since she has to go back afterwards and take off all the ridiculous stuff I added when she wasn't looking.

Your fiancee is a smart lady.  I didn't think to go back and take off stuff.  I've spend the last 8 years getting rid of stuff my husband put on our registry.

2011-05-02 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3477630

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-05-02 12:15 PM

This is kind of relating to the training plans, but mostly shows my craziness.  I use a plan that uses RPE.  I'm a nerd and I like numbers.  I use HR to help me figure out my RPE.  I do a lot of my bike rides on a trainer.  Again, I need numbers, so I got a cadence sensor for my Garmin.  I've used it for about a month.  I have been so dissapointed in my rides on the trainer.  So much so that I have actually quit in the middle of rides.  I was struggling to get to 15 mph.  I felt my RPE was 9 and I wasn't going more than 14mph.   Last night I discovered I didn't have the correct wheel size set in my Garmin.  So, because I rely so much on numbers, I didn't listen to my body and I ruined several rides.  That said, I stopped my ride(and my Garmin) today at 30 min to move my seat, got back on and rode for about 20 min before I realized I forgot to push start

Christy

Please don't take this the wrong way, but comparing road speed to trainer speed is a mistake.  They don't line up at all.  It is more useful to compare trainer speed to trainer speed (and even then, things like tire pressure and how hard you tighten the wheel can change things).  If you want to compare inside to out, you'll need to use Power, HR or RPE.  RPE is often skewed inside (as is HR) because you lose the 15-20 mph headwind and you get heat loading.  The solution is the best fan you can find...then get two of them!  Seriously, good cooling inside can't be stressed enough.  Even with that, you'll probably find that an hour inside is harder than an hour outside because you lose those starts and stops, coasting breaks etc that you get outside (that's a good thing!).  If you're like me and training for a HIM where the temps were 100F and humid last year, you can ditch the fan and get some good heat adaptation in the winter (I heard Jordan Rapp trained in his bathroom with the heater on while preparing for IM AZ).

ETA: different trainers will also have viariability between them.  It is dangerous as well to compare outside rides as well.  The wind plays a huge factor in overall speed, as does the terrain.  This is why power is such a popular tool on the bike - a watt is a watt regardless of what your speed or HR is.

Edited by jsiegs 2011-05-02 12:26 PM
2011-05-02 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3477639

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-05-02 12:17 PM
jsiegs - 2011-05-02 7:23 AM

After that I'm meeting up with my fiancee at Bed Bath and Beyond to continue adding to our registry.  Surprisingly, I don't mind that...give me the scan gun and I go crazy.  My fiancee gets a little annoyed since she has to go back afterwards and take off all the ridiculous stuff I added when she wasn't looking.

Your fiancee is a smart lady.  I didn't think to go back and take off stuff.  I've spend the last 8 years getting rid of stuff my husband put on our registry.

I was "testing" our Amazon registry (which we didn't end up using) with a $7,000 bike.  She noticed Cry

2011-05-02 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3477799

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-05-02 12:23 PM
cbrookhart - 2011-05-02 12:15 PM

Christy

Please don't take this the wrong way, but comparing road speed to trainer speed is a mistake.  They don't line up at all.  It is more useful to compare trainer speed to trainer speed (and even then, things like tire pressure and how hard you tighten the wheel can change things).  If you want to compare inside to out, you'll need to use Power, HR or RPE.  RPE is often skewed inside (as is HR) because you lose the 15-20 mph headwind and you get heat loading.  The solution is the best fan you can find...then get two of them!  Seriously, good cooling inside can't be stressed enough.  Even with that, you'll probably find that an hour inside is harder than an hour outside because you lose those starts and stops, coasting breaks etc that you get outside (that's a good thing!).  If you're like me and training for a HIM where the temps were 100F and humid last year, you can ditch the fan and get some good heat adaptation in the winter (I heard Jordan Rapp trained in his bathroom with the heater on while preparing for IM AZ).

ETA: different trainers will also have viariability between them.  It is dangerous as well to compare outside rides as well.  The wind plays a huge factor in overall speed, as does the terrain.  This is why power is such a popular tool on the bike - a watt is a watt regardless of what your speed or HR is.

I didn't realize there as that much of a difference between speed outside and using a trainer.  Good to know.  My HIM is in WVA at the end of June.  Guessing it will be hot, but I don't think I'll train with a heater on.  I'm hoping to be able to get outside more often in the weeks to come.

Edited by cbrookhart 2011-05-02 12:37 PM
2011-05-02 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Greetings all!Recap of the last few days for me:1. Started to use the log on here to really embrace the experience. 2. I don't have time to skim through and see who posted the TriPower website, I did a 2500 meter workout and felt great. My form is really coming along on sync with my rhythm nicely. 3. Being in Florida, I never really thought of getting a bike trainer, but with rainy days and winter here (yes, it does get cold and dreary in Florida). I've noticed two types of trainer:" fluid" and a roller. What so you suggest, and specifically a model that is used. I like the idea of a roller type where I can still focus on balance/form on the bike. A truly stationary trainer seems troublesome as you could develop bad habits if you use a trainer more often that being on the road. Would only be using this maybe Once a week, but adding another day of saddle time is hard to squeeze in, and I hate riding in the dark or low light conditions.
2011-05-02 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3477809

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

I was "testing" our Amazon registry (which we didn't end up using) with a $7,000 bike.  She noticed Cry

That is HILARIOUS!! Laughing

2011-05-02 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3477809

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Great minds think alike. I did something very similar when we did one registration. Hubby didn't go for it though...have to keep the Mrs. happy.
2011-05-02 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3477873

User image

Master
South Alabama
Wedding registry...I've got a story.

My wife is from a small town in Alabama.  When we got married 20 years ago there was no internet to speak of and the closest department type store was 85 miles from her hometown.  We registered at the local Ace Hardware for small kitchen appliances and such.  The store carried everything from refrigerators to shotguns and all that lies in between.  Well....we got several duplicates and it is just hard to justify keeping 3 crockpots so we returned several gifts and had a nice store credit. I can't remember everything we bought with the credit but I do remember some nice tools and such making it home.  Always thought it would have been funny to use the credit for a new lawn mower, a shotgun and a few boxes of shells......thats the way to start a solid marriage......at least in Alabama. 

Randy

2011-05-02 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Can we go back to the nutrition talk for a minute?  I got some Hamme Perpetuem today.  I normally use HEED, I figured for my race I'd try the Perpetuem so I am going to try it out during a few training rides.   Anyone tried them both?  Did you notice a difference?

I also saw a thread on Triathlon Talk about taking Imodium before a race. I have stomach issues during the run and I've thought about taking something but I'm worried about it being safe.  I realize you are not doctors (well, i'm assuming you're not, maybe you are.) so i'm not looking for medical advice, just wondering if anyone has tried it and how it worked out for you.

2011-05-02 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3478304

User image

New user

I was on a long ride today (60 miles) and it got me thinking about nutrition aswell. What do people use on rides? What is hamme perpeteum and heed?

James

cbrookhart - 2011-05-02 9:56 PM

Can we go back to the nutrition talk for a minute?  I got some Hamme Perpetuem today.  I normally use HEED, I figured for my race I'd try the Perpetuem so I am going to try it out during a few training rides.   Anyone tried them both?  Did you notice a difference?

I also saw a thread on Triathlon Talk about taking Imodium before a race. I have stomach issues during the run and I've thought about taking something but I'm worried about it being safe.  I realize you are not doctors (well, i'm assuming you're not, maybe you are.) so i'm not looking for medical advice, just wondering if anyone has tried it and how it worked out for you.

2011-05-02 5:09 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

My race this weekend was awesome! I dropped over two minutes off my previous best time and finished the 12K in 49:06. I ran past the 10K point 10 seconds under my 10K PR time as well. Ended up finishing 360th overall out of 50,611 and 16th in my AG. 

Swimming for about an hour this evening and doing some yoga. Yoga is about as much as I do with strength training. I will do pushups and planks and all that stuff but I rarely use something other than just my body weight as resistance. My main focus is core strength and muscle flexbility so Yoga provides both of those needs very well. The foam roller is my best friend! I spend at least 15 minutes a day on that. My IT Band has not been a problem at all since I started doing that.

Good luck with the training everyone!

2011-05-02 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3478304

User image

Master
South Alabama
cbrookhart

I have a bit of a sketchy stomach and have used Immodium before many races up to HIM with no problems. 

Randy
2011-05-02 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3478428

User image

Master
South Alabama
MattCan - 2011-05-02 5:09 PM

My race this weekend was awesome! I dropped over two minutes off my previous best time and finished the 12K in 49:06. I ran past the 10K point 10 seconds under my 10K PR time as well. Ended up finishing 360th overall out of 50,611 and 16th in my AG. 

Great job Matt!
Randy

2011-05-02 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3478428

User image

New user

South Jersey
Way to go Matt!!!
2011-05-02 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
@Matt...great job in your race. Very impressed with your running skills!
2011-05-02 8:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Great race, Matt!
2011-05-02 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3478333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
chugger99 - 2011-05-02 4:15 PM

I was on a long ride today (60 miles) and it got me thinking about nutrition aswell. What do people use on rides? What is hamme perpeteum and heed?

James

cbrookhart - 2011-05-02 9:56 PM

That should say Hammer, not Hamme.  Oops.  Hammer is the maker of Heed and Perpetuem.  They are sports drinks.  Perpetuem is used for longer training and races.  At least that's what the package says.  Right now I'm trying out different things, trying to find out what works best.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56