BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-05-17 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3503005

User image

Gaithersburg
Subject: RE: Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL!
Ick!  Lumbar stuff always freaks me out! Hope the pain patch continues to work and you mend quickly!

2011-05-17 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3504563

User image

Gaithersburg
Wow!!  What an awesome race!  I am very impressed.
2011-05-17 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3436046

User image

Gaithersburg

Had a super busy weekend with my wife walking in her master's graduation ceremony.  We had family and friends in town until yesterday, so all my training ended up being bagged.  Then I overslept and missed my swimming lesson this morning - grrr... I'll probably go for a run tonight, to make up for this missed run this weekend and swim tomorrow morning instead.

2011-05-17 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3504563

Ontario, Canada

wannabefaster - 2011-05-17 4:07 PM Here is my race report from Knoxville. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... It took me long enough to get to it. The time is a PR for me on a significantly more difficult course than my previous olympic races. Overall very happy with this race and now I have a gauge where my fitness is and where I need to go.

What a great report!!  I enjoyed reading every bit of it.  And CONGRATULATIONS on the PR!!!

2011-05-17 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
Had my first decent run this afternoon since I did a decent job of spraining my ankle at the beginning of March, ran / walked about 3 miles and hours after still no pain or stiffness. Hopefully I can start adding running to my regular training schedule.
2011-05-18 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3505015

User image

Champion
Nice job all around everyone! looks like people are making some great strides and the season is really kicking off!

I was thinking, we are all (myself included) doing a lot of reporting on how our day went but not going much past that, and thought it would be fun to get a more in depth talk going on some area of training, whether its nutrition, run/bike/swim workouts/theory, race strategy, etc.

IF anyone has a topic they want to talk about we'll dive into that first and go from there!

2011-05-18 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3505878

Ontario, Canada

newbz - 2011-05-18 11:12 AM Nice job all around everyone! looks like people are making some great strides and the season is really kicking off! I was thinking, we are all (myself included) doing a lot of reporting on how our day went but not going much past that, and thought it would be fun to get a more in depth talk going on some area of training, whether its nutrition, run/bike/swim workouts/theory, race strategy, etc. IF anyone has a topic they want to talk about we'll dive into that first and go from there!

Well, since I'm just getting into this I'd be curious to know about what people eat before and what fuel they use during the race.  I know what I need to race 42kms on skates but a tri obviously takes a lot more energy and a bit of advice in this regard would certainly help me with my training.  

2011-05-18 4:12 PM

User image

Veteran
I usually eat some sort of oatmeal or cereal, don't forget about nutrition during the race too. I enjoy GU, Clif blocks, and stinger waffles. Just make sure that the first time you try something out isn't a race day!
2011-05-18 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3506747

Ontario, Canada

jaclynembry - 2011-05-18 5:12 PM I usually eat some sort of oatmeal or cereal, don't forget about nutrition during the race too. I enjoy GU, Clif blocks, and stinger waffles. Just make sure that the first time you try something out isn't a race day!

When I race inline my breakfast is peanut butter on whole wheat bread (one slice) & a banana.  While I'm skating I'll eat a few clif blocks & drink a mix of water/gatorade (about 8 ozs), but that's it.  GU and any of the gels sit like lead in my stomach when skating.  But I assume skating is much easier than a tri.   

I've never heard of stinger waffles.  Will have to see if I can buy them in Canada to try out.  

Edited by Jewel22 2011-05-18 4:23 PM
2011-05-18 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
I know that you can buy them on amazon.com, they are pretty yummy and give you decent fuel. I would definitely recommend trying them out. 
2011-05-18 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3506785

User image

Champion
Pre-race will depend on a few things:

-How long the race is. This will effect how fast you'll be going and thus how much you can stomach. longer races you can/should have a bit more than shorter

-How well you handle food.

-How far ahead you are going to eat.

A smaller normal breakfast is fine, toast, banana, bagel, cereal, etc.
Just keep it simple and something you are used to and you'll be fine.

As for in race fueling, without going over the top in detail, it again depends on a few things.
How well trained you are
How long you plan on being on course

For most people, in an event lasting 1-2 hours, you'll need very little fuel. after 1:30 or so, you should start taking in a small amount of cal.

In a race lasting in the 2-3hr range, a few hundred cal is plenty (remember most people store enough to around 1.5-2hr of work without fuel).
In an event like this you are not trying to replace everything you are burning off, but rather simply keep all cylinders firing and working well.

My typical rule of thumb for a starting place is events under 2 hours, very little fuel or maybe 200 cal tops. 2-3 hours around 200-300 tops. over 3 hours i start upping the intake to 200 per hour, over 4 hours and i'm sitting on long course fuel (which for me is around 300 or just over per hour).

I'll get most of this in a race in the form of gel, and a small amount from a drink. I prefer to keep my cal separate from my drink so that i can tailor fluid intake to match my needs and not be tied to drinking a certain amount to get my fuel down.

In training though i've taken poptarts, candy, leftovers, red bull, coke, and many many other things with me as fuel, races though i tend to stick to gel as its the easiest to carry on the bike. the run i simply live off teh course and take whats there.
Most of this applies to half IM racing for me though.
The olympic distance is the first distance most hsould look at taking anything in cal wise, and at the faster end of that distance you'll start cutting back a lot.

2011-05-18 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3506981

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Agree with everything Newbz just said, especially that last paragraph, and I'll add personal, anecdotal stuff...

I don't handle solid food on race day.  In fact, I visit the toilet and get rid of all the solid food I had the day before on race day.  I take the approach that my "fueling" begins a minimum of 7 days before the event.  Lots of water, lean proteins, good sugars.  Basically, for one week I eat like I should all the time.  Race day?  Maybe some orange juice on the way to the race.

And that's about as much as I worry.  Most of my events have been, and will be "shorter" distances.  I also typically race in a muggy, hot climate.  Solid food in 100% humidity and 90+ temps feels terrible in my stomach.  So for short, hot races, it's all about cold water... most of which I pour over my head.  I hydrate ahead of time, and focus on staying cool.

In my opinion, people way over think nutrition for anything under a half iron man.  You need water to quench thirst and keep you mentally sane, but other than that, just eat right and drink lots of water leading up to the event and you'll be fine.

2011-05-19 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3507305

User image

Champion
totally agree with that.

My typical pre-race food for a shorter race is two pop-tarts on the way there. fast, easy, and things my body can use while wroking harder.

Don't make it more complicated than it is and find what works best for you.

in short course races (sprint/olympic), nutrition is such a tiny/non factor that its a very very small part of the package.
2011-05-19 9:12 AM

User image

Gaithersburg

I have two questions...

How should I develop a race strategy?  I've read things suggesting I should practice, but I'm not sure how to do that on my own...  I'd like to practice somehow because my confidence of completing the race is extremely low right now.

As far as equipment/clothing on the day of - what would you consider to be the minimum necessary?  I'm specifically trying to figure out the whole tri-suit/tri-shorts thing and whether I should get one...

2011-05-19 9:21 AM

Good Morning All!

My leg pain from the lumbar is sooo much better today!  I have not backed off training at all and I am starting to get my race mind set going.

My wife is a RD, CNSD, LD (Dietician) she has really be a great help for me from my weight loss journey to triathlons.  I have lost 97# over the last 24 months and just started tri's last year.  I a comfortable with my diet that consist of just good, basic, and healthy food choices. ( I really miss double cheese burgers LOL).  Here a couple of rules that I adhere to:  If it comes through a drive through window, don't eat it.  If it is advertised on TV, should probably should not eat it.  Eat an apple 20 minutes before your meal.  It is fiber and water and really assist in portion control.

My limited prerace intake is normally a breakfast of waffels and my normal pot of coffee.  Since the knee surgery I am only supposed to do sprints.  In my opionion if you need "supplements" for a 1-2 hour race you may want to rethink your training and adjust accordingly.

I hope everyone has a PB day!

Jeffrey

2011-05-19 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3507841

Ontario, Canada

Just curious Jeffrey ... what do you refer to/consider "supplements"?

Edited by Jewel22 2011-05-19 9:33 AM

2011-05-19 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3507832

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
nickgn71 - 2011-05-19 9:12 AM

I have two questions...

How should I develop a race strategy?  I've read things suggesting I should practice, but I'm not sure how to do that on my own...  I'd like to practice somehow because my confidence of completing the race is extremely low right now.

As far as equipment/clothing on the day of - what would you consider to be the minimum necessary?  I'm specifically trying to figure out the whole tri-suit/tri-shorts thing and whether I should get one...

What sort of things are you talking about with the suggested practice?

As for necessary equipment...

Swim suit or tri shorts
Goggles
A bike and helmet
running shoes

You can certainly do a tri in any swim suit, even baggies if that's all you got.  Jammers would probably work, but mine are.. umm... cut for swimming.  Not sure how much anyone behind me on the bike would appreciate the view.  I bought a discounted pair of DeSoto tri shorts a few seasons ago.  Trained in them a some (mainly wear bibs on the bike), wore them in a few races.  They serve as a great base layer under tights if it's cold for a run or ride.  I got a free tri team kit for being an officer that I use for racing only, so that was a cheap option
2011-05-19 11:15 AM

User image

Champion
nickgn71 - 2011-05-19 8:12 AM

I have two questions...

How should I develop a race strategy? I've read things suggesting I should practice, but I'm not sure how to do that on my own... I'd like to practice somehow because my confidence of completing the race is extremely low right now.

As far as equipment/clothing on the day of - what would you consider to be the minimum necessary? I'm specifically trying to figure out the whole tri-suit/tri-shorts thing and whether I should get one...

As far as clothes, a tri suit, or tri-top and shorts are what you would want. If you only race sprints and are ok racing in it, a good swim suit works too.
which you pick is up to you, your price range, and what you are comfortable in, but outside of maybe an ironman, you should be (or it'll be easier) to race the whole thing in one outfit.

For someone who is not racing every weekend, or not training in them ALL season long, a good pair of tri shorts will last you a season. trisuits are more for race only, but again it will last you the season.

As far as race strategy, you need to find a few things first. What are your goals? expectations? how does your current fitness line up with those? You take a look at what you are better at, what is a weakness, and go from there.
Say you are a weak swimmer, good cyclist, poor runner. You get through the swim comfortably, dont kill yourself, and push the bike a bit more, or something like this.
Through your training you should have an idea here. Let me know and I can provide a bit more help.
2011-05-19 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3507841

User image

Champion
jeffrey71 - 2011-05-19 8:21 AM

Good Morning All!

My leg pain from the lumbar is sooo much better today! I have not backed off training at all and I am starting to get my race mind set going.

My wife is a RD, CNSD, LD (Dietician) she has really be a great help for me from my weight loss journey to triathlons. I have lost 97# over the last 24 months and just started tri's last year. I a comfortable with my diet that consist of just good, basic, and healthy food choices. ( I really miss double cheese burgers LOL). Here a couple of rules that I adhere to: If it comes through a drive through window, don't eat it. If it is advertised on TV, should probably should not eat it. Eat an apple 20 minutes before your meal. It is fiber and water and really assist in portion control.

My limited prerace intake is normally a breakfast of waffels and my normal pot of coffee. Since the knee surgery I am only supposed to do sprints. In my opionion if you need "supplements" for a 1-2 hour race you may want to rethink your training and adjust accordingly.

I hope everyone has a PB day!

Jeffrey

Congrats on the weight loss and i'm glad things are feeling better!

As far as supplemts, I too would like to know what you mean? Are we talking some form of calories, or something else?
In a two hour race it may be benificial to take in some cal. For example a typical olympic race would take me right around two hours, and i'll take in around 200 cal on the bike. My body at that time range is going to preform better with a bit of extra intake, and when it comes to a race i'm going to do everything possible to get the best out of my body i can. In a two hour training session, i'm probably not going to worry about it.
2011-05-19 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3508173

Ontario, Canada

Thanks for all the input regarding fueling for training and racing a tri.  Like I said I've got the fuel down for my inline races but was concerned about the extra energy required for a tri.   It sounds like what I do for inline will transfer into tri training.

newbz - 2011-05-19 12:19 PM Congrats on the weight loss and i'm glad things are feeling better! As far as supplemts, I too would like to know what you mean? Are we talking some form of calories, or something else? In a two hour race it may be benificial to take in some cal. For example a typical olympic race would take me right around two hours, and i'll take in around 200 cal on the bike. My body at that time range is going to preform better with a bit of extra intake, and when it comes to a race i'm going to do everything possible to get the best out of my body i can. In a two hour training session, i'm probably not going to worry about it.

newbz, I agree with you when it comes to racing.  I do everything I possibly can as well even if it means eating a few clif blocks for that little energy when push comes to shove.  Usually the outcome of an inline race depends on who has the most kick left at the 300 or so meter mark.  It's about the sprint at the end.  If I don't have it, then I lose placement.  There can be as few as 3 or 4 of us or as many as 20 of us sprinting to the finish and the difference between 1st place and 20th place can be a few seconds.  So, if the clif blocks help me, both physically and probably more importantly, mentally, then I'll eat a few.

2011-05-19 5:23 PM

New user

There seem to be two schools of thought with regard to using your legs for swimming.  One is that you should use your legs to fullest to propel yourself and you will go faster and get to the bike quicker.  The other side is you should save your legs for the bike and the run and using them to go faster in the swim will slow you down in the bike and the run.  I am assuming the answer is somewhere right in the middle but I wanted to get thoughts on what everybody does when they are racing.

2011-05-20 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3508856

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
vb06199 - 2011-05-19 5:23 PM There seem to be two schools of thought with regard to using your legs for swimming.  One is that you should use your legs to fullest to propel yourself and you will go faster and get to the bike quicker.  The other side is you should save your legs for the bike and the run and using them to go faster in the swim will slow you down in the bike and the run.  I am assuming the answer is somewhere right in the middle but I wanted to get thoughts on what everybody does when they are racing.

They need to close down the school that is saying you kick to your fullest to propel yourself along.  That's just plain wrong.

Read this:  http://www.swimsmooth.com/kick.html
2011-05-22 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3510290

Ontario, Canada

sesh - 2011-05-20 2:52 PM
vb06199 - 2011-05-19 5:23 PM There seem to be two schools of thought with regard to using your legs for swimming.  One is that you should use your legs to fullest to propel yourself and you will go faster and get to the bike quicker.  The other side is you should save your legs for the bike and the run and using them to go faster in the swim will slow you down in the bike and the run.  I am assuming the answer is somewhere right in the middle but I wanted to get thoughts on what everybody does when they are racing.

They need to close down the school that is saying you kick to your fullest to propel yourself along.  That's just plain wrong.

Read this:  http://www.swimsmooth.com/kick.html

What a great link.  Thanks for posting it.

2011-05-22 10:06 AM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN

got up early before the hub's did and I took my two dogs for a nice quiet 45 minute ez jog in the woods near our house before it heated up and became a sauna (it was anyway)...came home with 7 ticks between the 3 of us...I love nature but I sure wish it'd stay in the woods...ha ha ha.

I have my long swim workout and weight training my legs this afternoon, my first sprint tri is next Monday....yikes!!!

2011-05-22 10:41 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
nickgn71 - 2011-05-19 10:12 AM

I have two questions...

Race strategy. It is funny that I rarely think of it in that abstract of a way, but I know that I do have a race strategy.

Mine:

Swim comfortably and stay within myself. I know I am not a fast swimmer but instead concentrate on moving up to middle of the pack. The goal is to get out of the water feeling like I have a lot of energy left.

Bike hard but not so hard that my legs will be shot for whatever run awaits me. Obviously this takes some of the practice you are talking about. If you haven't practiced getting off of a bike and running, you should do so. I remember my first triathlon I had never done this bike to run transition in practice (first time on race day-not good). For the first mile I thought I was going to have to drop out of the race. By the last mile I was running nearly my open running race splits. Now that I know that the legs will feel better about a mile in, it doesn't scare me so much to feel those "heavy"legs. Your practice will also involve figuring out what pace you can go on the bike and still run. This will vary quite a bit depending on the race distances--a sprint tri is very different than a HIM/IM. As you get more fit, you can go faster on the bike with it taking less of a toll.

Run. It is wise to run the first part of the run distance in a very controlled manner. Pick a pace that you know you can sustain for a while. As you get further in to the run, your body should be giving you feedback as to how things are going--(Are my legs cramping or do they feel good? Am I breathing hard or not? Does my heart feel like it is racing or are things comfortable?) Once you have the answers to this, you can speed up or slow down. Jesse Thomas, who just won the wildflower HIM distance race, blogged that he took several (short) walk breaks to get things under control. If it's ok for a pro to walk, it's ok for you or me to walk too.

Lastly, your race strategy will vary based on your goals. If your goal is to finish, slow down and enjoy it. Going so hard that you blow up and don't finish sabotages your goal. If your goal is to get on the podium, then things get different. You are willing to go to the edge of your fitness and risk a blow up. There have been races where I really want to get a PR out of them and I am willing to risk a DNF in the pursuit of the goal time. That is an acceptable outcome. It would still be fun for me because I am pursuing my goal and recognize the possible outcome. These are two extremes. Most people will fall somewhere on the continuum of finish to podium. Your goal might be an 1:45 sprint. Figure out what goal your fitness can support and then go for it.

Very wordy. Hope it helps.

Jason

Edited by wannabefaster 2011-05-22 11:33 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  

of 14