General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Zones: 220-Age - the TRUTH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2006-02-02 8:12 AM
in reply to: #237705

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: HR Zones: 220-Age - the TRUTH!
Very true! 2 seasons ago when I began training for Tris I was using my HR every time I was in the pool. (Following the TTB) I was so concern with HR ALL the time that I was paying little attention to my technique. (Big mistake)
Now I train based on T-pace (per my coach's advice) and I know by feel what my easy, steady, hard and very hard paces feel like. I can focus on what I am supposed to accomplish on each lap and I am not breaking my stroke while trying to see what my HR is. (Plus if you really want to know what your HR is, you can always use the good old 6 sec method at the end of a lap).
Finally how many times we heard the “train like you race” phrase (Specificity). IMO why train based on HR zones while during a race most people won’t be paying attention to their HR monitor until they exit the water…

2006-02-02 8:43 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Mike R –
I am not sure if this question belongs to this thread but, it definitely has to do with training intensity.  I know that each workout we do in one sport will carry on some benefits into the other two. But in your experience is there a way to roughly estimate how much?

This past Sunday I PR at a half Mary by more than 10 min from my previous one and it was surprising for me as I didn't do any specific work for it, and I was able to sustain a fast pace on my zone 3 relatively comfortable (with the exception of a minor issue that I rather prefer no to discuss )
Anyway, I haven’t done much running (I’ve been battling calves injuries) and almost zero speed work, or LT runs. In the past 3 months I ran: Nov 4 hrs, Dec 9 hrs, and Jan 9 hrs all at zone 1-2; however for the same months my volume and hard sessions for biking and swimming were a lot! Now I am assuming I am also seeing benefits from my previous year of training but I am almost 99% sure that this big jump in performance was due to the hard LT sessions on the trainer and even the long time I’ve been spending in the pool.  Any thoughts?

2006-02-02 10:06 AM
in reply to: #337108

User image

Extreme Veteran

<<<Anyway, I haven’t done much running (I’ve been battling calves injuries) and almost zero speed work, or LT runs. In the past 3 months I ran: Nov 4 hrs, Dec 9 hrs, and Jan 9 hrs all at zone 1-2; however for the same months my volume and hard sessions for biking and swimming were a lot! Now I am assuming I am also seeing benefits from my previous year of training but I am almost 99% sure that this big jump in performance was due to the hard LT sessions on the trainer and even the long time I’ve been spending in the pool.  Any thoughts?>>>

Mike made this comment I liked: 

<<<Endurance, Strength, Race Speed - the three components to going faster - and there you have it. The 'secret' to training unvielded right before your eyes ;-) >>>

I'm curious how many years of base training you had built up to now? Maybe you had built the base you needed for endurance and strength and your workouts these last 3 months helped you focus on speed, even if it wasn't specifically in the run, there would still be crossover benefits; increased Vo2, etc.

It would seem to me that Mike focuses on the first two parts of the equation here on BT because that is where the majority of us can see improvements and keep us healthy. Otherwise, we all want to train like we are more advanced than we are and do to much too soon. But that's just an 'educated' guess from a guy pretty new to this whole thing.

2006-02-02 11:47 AM
in reply to: #337085

User image

, Texas
amiine - 2006-02-02 8:12 AM

Very true! 2 seasons ago when I began training for Tris I was using my HR every time I was in the pool. (Following the TTB) I was so concern with HR ALL the time that I was paying little attention to my technique. (Big mistake)
Now I train based on T-pace (per my coach's advice) and I know by feel what my easy, steady, hard and very hard paces feel like. I can focus on what I am supposed to accomplish on each lap and I am not breaking my stroke while trying to see what my HR is. (Plus if you really want to know what your HR is, you can always use the good old 6 sec method at the end of a lap).
Finally how many times we heard the “train like you race” phrase (Specificity). IMO why train based on HR zones while during a race most people won’t be paying attention to their HR monitor until they exit the water…

IMHO, this exact same argument can be used for running & cycling against using an HRM during training.

The reason I use a HRM is to ensure that I'm going EASY enough. I do use my HRM in the pool, but only check either after a set, or will glance at it the wall every 400 or so meters if doing a long, continuous swim) just to be sure that I'm in the right zone. If not, I'll take a bit of a break to let my HR come down and go again. I don't obsess over it and I'm not thinking about it over technique. Although, I will have sets where my focus is to swim slow and efficient to maintain a low HR.

It's really the same idea as to how I use it for run/bike training.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that my HRM can download the HR data to my computer. I can, after the workout, look at my HR throughout the workout and decide how I may need to change my training for the next session getting it more inline with my goals, or validating that my training session was what I had intended.

Edited by camy 2006-02-02 11:51 AM
2006-02-02 12:04 PM
in reply to: #337108

User image

Boulder, Colorado
amiine - 2006-02-02 6:43 AM

Mike R –
I am not sure if this question belongs to this thread but, it definitely has to do with training intensity.  I know that each workout we do in one sport will carry on some benefits into the other two. But in your experience is there a way to roughly estimate how much?

This past Sunday I PR at a half Mary by more than 10 min from my previous one and it was surprising for me as I didn't do any specific work for it, and I was able to sustain a fast pace on my zone 3 relatively comfortable (with the exception of a minor issue that I rather prefer no to discuss )
Anyway, I haven’t done much running (I’ve been battling calves injuries) and almost zero speed work, or LT runs. In the past 3 months I ran: Nov 4 hrs, Dec 9 hrs, and Jan 9 hrs all at zone 1-2; however for the same months my volume and hard sessions for biking and swimming were a lot! Now I am assuming I am also seeing benefits from my previous year of training but I am almost 99% sure that this big jump in performance was due to the hard LT sessions on the trainer and even the long time I’ve been spending in the pool.  Any thoughts?

Jorge - I haven't seen any studies on this but obviously, aerobic training is aerobic training - you could jump up and down for 2 hours and you would still get 'some' benefit, it just wouldn't be specific to triathlon. Riding a bike is a lot like running in terms of cadence - and working your lungs - but I don't have a definitive answer for you in terms of %.

What happened to you,  I do see all the time with athletes - sometimes we even call it 'recovery' :-)

2006-02-02 12:06 PM
in reply to: #337194

User image

Boulder, Colorado
UtahMan - 2006-02-02 8:06 AM

<<>>

Mike made this comment I liked: 

<<>>

I'm curious how many years of base training you had built up to now? Maybe you had built the base you needed for endurance and strength and your workouts these last 3 months helped you focus on speed, even if it wasn't specifically in the run, there would still be crossover benefits; increased Vo2, etc.

>>>Good points UTMan.

It would seem to me that Mike focuses on the first two parts of the equation here on BT because that is where the majority of us can see improvements and keep us healthy. Otherwise, we all want to train like we are more advanced than we are and do to much too soon. But that's just an 'educated' guess from a guy pretty new to this whole thing. 

>>>Right again, BUT even with an Elite, his biggest limiter will be his aerobic base, not his LT. By building up the aerobic base, we can build a bigger foundation - and then an even better ability to put more stress on the system and recover to be even stronger and then race faster.

2006-02-02 12:08 PM
in reply to: #337286

User image

Boulder, Colorado

camy - 2006-02-02 9:47 AM
amiine - 2006-02-02 8:12 AM Very true! 2 seasons ago when I began training for Tris I was using my HR every time I was in the pool. (Following the TTB) I was so concern with HR ALL the time that I was paying little attention to my technique. (Big mistake)
IMHO, this exact same argument can be used for running & cycling against using an HRM during training. The reason I use a HRM is to ensure that I'm going EASY enough. I do use my HRM in the pool, but only check either after a set, or will glance at it the wall every 400 or so meters if doing a long, continuous swim) just to be sure that I'm in the right zone. If not, I'll take a bit of a break to let my HR come down and go again. I don't obsess over it and I'm not thinking about it over technique. Although, I will have sets where my focus is to swim slow and efficient to maintain a low HR. It's really the same idea as to how I use it for run/bike training. EDIT: I also wanted to add that my HRM can download the HR data to my computer. I can, after the workout, look at my HR throughout the workout and decide how I may need to change my training for the next session getting it more inline with my goals, or validating that my training session was what I had intended.

>>All good points, thanks.

2006-02-02 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas
Could someone give me a hand. I did the LT for myself last night and came up with an Average HB/M of 169 but I haven't been able to find the percentages needed for each zone. Can someone either supply them for me or plugg my 169 results in so I know where I stand?

Thanks

X
2006-02-02 1:32 PM
in reply to: #337399

User image

Boulder, Colorado

x_caliber50 - 2006-02-02 11:25 AM Could someone give me a hand. I did the LT for myself last night and came up with an Average HB/M of 169 but I haven't been able to find the percentages needed for each zone. Can someone either supply them for me or plugg my 169 results in so I know where I stand? Thanks X

see attached

Attachments
----------------
HR Zones.xls (18KB - 238 downloads)
2006-02-03 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas
Thanks Mike.
2006-02-07 3:25 AM

User image

2006-02-10 3:10 PM

Veteran
Grapevine, Texas
I have a question about doing the LT tests, both for running and cycling. I see that we can do them inside as well as outside which I will consider doing both to see the variances, if any. My question is though on doing the tests outdoors. I live in a relatively hilly area. We're not talking the Rocky mountains or anything remotely close to that, but just a lot of rolling hills. And, there are stop lights too. Should I try to find a stretch of road that is somewhat flat and not a lot of traffic or stoplights when doing the cycling LT test? Or, do hills really not play a factor here? My HR definitely goes up when climbing the hills, so it's possible that needs to be factored into the training zones, yes?

I also have a question on the run portion of the test. I'm not running on the roads much these days due to a small case of shin splints in my right leg. I've been pool running and doing the elliptical machine. I figure my first run back outside should not be an LT test as HR could be fairly elevated and give me skewed results for training zones. When is a good time to do an LT test for the run portion? Wait a few weeks after some good run sessions back?

Thanks Mike!!!
2006-02-10 3:15 PM
in reply to: #343274

User image

Boulder, Colorado

trigirl74 - 2006-02-10 1:10 PM I have a question about doing the LT tests, both for running and cycling. I see that we can do them inside as well as outside which I will consider doing both to see the variances, if any. My question is though on doing the tests outdoors. I live in a relatively hilly area. We're not talking the Rocky mountains or anything remotely close to that, but just a lot of rolling hills. And, there are stop lights too. Should I try to find a stretch of road that is somewhat flat and not a lot of traffic or stoplights when doing the cycling LT test? Or, do hills really not play a factor here? My HR definitely goes up when climbing the hills, so it's possible that needs to be factored into the training zones, yes? I also have a question on the run portion of the test. I'm not running on the roads much these days due to a small case of shin splints in my right leg. I've been pool running and doing the elliptical machine. I figure my first run back outside should not be an LT test as HR could be fairly elevated and give me skewed results for training zones. When is a good time to do an LT test for the run portion? Wait a few weeks after some good run sessions back? Thanks Mike!!!

Kim  - you are right on target. There could be a variance from inside to outside and there will be some issues with the hills/stoplights. So, if you can find a nice flat 7-10 mile stretch of road without stop lights (signs), traffic, etc then you are better off.

On the run - yes,  wait until you have a few weeks of running under your belt before attempting a test.

I hope this helps.

2006-03-30 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
this was just waiting for a bump . . . (sorry mike!)
2006-04-03 10:49 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
2006-04-28 9:48 PM
in reply to: #387300

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Bump for the newbies...

2006-04-29 8:08 AM

Expert
Salisbury
2006-05-18 4:34 PM

User image

Bump,

Good luck with your Oly this weekend Mike!!!

2006-05-18 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio

Two questions as I am an endurance sport newb.

#1 What in the heck is BUMP?

#2 I am just starting to get into the HRM type of training.  My head is spinning form all of the info that gets floated around out there.  Can you suggest something that I can use as a bible of sorts to help figure all of this out, refer to over time, etc?  Everyone I talk to (trainers at the gym) contradict each other and I honestly believe they say things for their own benefit to feel intelligent.  Any help would be appreciated.

2006-05-18 8:00 PM
in reply to: #427792

User image

buckeye66 - 2006-05-18 5:55 PM

#2 I am just starting to get into the HRM type of training.  My head is spinning form all of the info that gets floated around out there.  Can you suggest something that I can use as a bible of sorts to help figure all of this out, refer to over time, etc?  Everyone I talk to (trainers at the gym) contradict each other and I honestly believe they say things for their own benefit to feel intelligent.  Any help would be appreciated.

The first queston I can handle,,,,,, I just did that to take this thread from the back of the list and to put it to the front so people like yourself could see it without having to do a search....

2006-05-18 8:00 PM

User image

buckeye66 - 2006-05-18 5:55 PM

The first queston I can handle,,,,,, I just did that to take this thread from the back of the list and to put it to the front so people like yourself could see it without having to do a search....

The second is a  bit trickier, I would suggest that you go to the first page on the thread and read what Mike Ricci has to say on the subject.  There is a lot of good info on this thread from him and others that should help confuse you.

Edited by crusevegas 2006-05-18 8:03 PM

2006-05-18 8:16 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Funny your should mention "bible"...there is a book called the Triathlete's Training Bible that goes into detail on all things related to training including setting HR zones and properly using them to work through a season long periodization plan.  Periodization is just a concept of varying your training volume and intensities in a systmatic way through the season to build different aspects of your fitness and ultimately prepare you fo your big races.  Mike Ricci has some good articles on his website about HR training.  I put together my own summary version mostly stealing from Mike and a couple other sources. 

Heart Rate Training:

Heart rate monitors are a relatively inexpensive tool that can be used to help guide our training. The old saying "no pain, no gain" is only partially true. Sure, there are times when you need to push yourself into that discomfort zone and it may even become painful (in a good way of course Smile) But the majority of triathletes and endurance athletes should be spending a significant amount of their training developing a solid aerobic base rather than logging copious tempo runs and interval sessions at the track. Yes, these workouts have a time and place but they also have a relatively high cost in terms of recovery. They are best used sparingly during the build and peak phases of training. As triathletes I think we collectively have a problem of being too motivated to push our limits. Chances are even an "easy" run is typically at too high of an intensity to serve the purpose (developing base or recovery) unless we have something to guide us. Enter the heart rate monitor...There is no cheating when that display strapped to your wrist is telling you exactly how hard you are really pushing.

One of the most confusing things about using a heart rate monitor during training is to establish heart rate training zones. Google "heart rate training" and you'll find a lot of different opinions about how to set up training zones. A number of formulas have been developed to estimate training zones based around maximum heart rate…Age-Adjusted Method, Karvonen Formula, Leger Formula, MAF Method…but these formulas are estimates at best and can be 20, 30, even 40 beats off for a given individual. A much more precise method for establishing training zones is to base the zones around the lactate threshold, sometimes called anaerobic threshold (AT). Lactate threshold is the highest intensity at which your body can recycle lactic acid as quickly as it is being produced. As endurance athletes knowing our LT is extremely important for both training and racing. A well-trained athlete can sustain LT intensity for 60-75min before overloading their body. Lab testing of LT is the most accurate method for establishing zones but many athletes either can’t afford this type of clinical testing or don’t have access to facilities with the necessary equipment. Luckily, there are ways to estimate your LT by performing field tests that require nothing more than a heart rate monitor. Many coaches have found that the field test method produces results that are very consistent with lab testing and have concluded that field tests are a perfectly acceptable alternative.

Testing Protocol:

Make sure to warm up well for 10 to 15 minutes before starting out. The field test is going to be an individual time trial of 30 minutes. The effort should be very hard, but not so hard that you slow down at the end, think race effort of about 10k running or 30k bike time trial effort. It's best to do this on a track in order to control for hills and avoid changes in effort that could be associated with external factors such as traffic. Another good option is to find a 5k, 8k or 10k race (which ever you think would be closest to a 30min all-out effort). This can actually produce better results since you have the motivation of the other runners to keep you going. Again, the goal is to go as hard as you can sustain for the entire 30min without slowing and finish with nothing left in the tank.

Start the time trial and make sure to press the start button on the heart rate monitor. After the first 10 minutes press the lap button and press the lap button again at 30 minutes. Cool down 5 to 10 minutes easy. The average heart rate over the last 20 minutes is your lactate threshold estimate.

This same protocol applies to the bike as well. It's important to test both the bike and run because you will have different LT valkues for each. As a general rule of thumb, your bike LT will be ~10bpm lower than your run LT but this could vary from 5-15bpm so it's best to test and make sure. For the bike I think it's even more important to perform the test on a trainer or closed course (think time trial) unless you can find a stretch of road or loop that you can ride hard for 30min without any stops or slowing for traffic and turns. Some people will argue that testing on a trainer isn't ideal because you race and train outside. I agree that the trainer isn't ideal but I believe that the control over your testing conditions and focus you can have on a trainer outweighs the negatives of not being outside. If you do use a trainer be sure to have a big fan directly in front of you to help cool your body. 

Training Zone Descriptions (from Mike Ricci, D3Multisport)

Zone 1 – This is considered aerobic and a very easy effort. So easy, that you feel guilty.
When to use Zone 1: Recovery days.
Training Range as a Percentage of LT: Thirty-five or more beats below LT.

Zone 2 – This is an easy effort but not quite as easy as Zone 1. This may be twenty-five beats lower then LT.
When to use Zone 2: Long rides and runs.
Training Range as a Percentage of LT: Twenty-five beats below LT.

Zone 3 – In this training zone you are neither LT, nor aerobic. This zone should be used for longer training sessions only, such as ½ Ironman and Ironman training.
When to use Zone 3: You may use this during Ironman training sessions or you may creep into this zone at the end of long rides or runs.
Training Range as a Percentage of LT: Fifteen beats below to the edge of LT.

Zone 4–5a - This is a training zone that is called LT, or lactate threshold.
When to use Zone 4-5a: These are the workouts that are our ‘hard’ session during the week. The Master’s swim workout, the track workout, or the spin class – these are all LT workouts. Studies have shown that training at, or below, LT creates the greatest benefit as it allows the body to recover quicker then if we train above LT.

Zone 5b - This zone is still LT but it is above LT and it hurts like heck! It could mean five to ten beats above LT. Too much training here leads to over training according to Joe Friel.
When to use Zone 5: Not often, but if you do, this would be at the end of a long hard set.

Zone 5c+ In this zone you are going all out for a very short period of time. According to Friel, this zone, in general, has limited benefit for the multisport athlete. The exception is those who are lacking the capacity to develop muscle mass or recruit fast twitch muscle fibers.

When to use Zone 5: Seldom, but if you do, they are short fast explosions. The recovery time between these intervals may be long, and a few days will be needed after one of these sessions to help the body recover.

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/determinezones.html 

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/beinginthezone.html 

buckeye66 - 2006-05-18 8:55 PM

#2 I am just starting to get into the HRM type of training. My head is spinning form all of the info that gets floated around out there. Can you suggest something that I can use as a bible of sorts to help figure all of this out, refer to over time, etc? Everyone I talk to (trainers at the gym) contradict each other and I honestly believe they say things for their own benefit to feel intelligent. Any help would be appreciated.

2006-05-18 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio

OKay, I just read the whole thread and I am swimming in confusion.  Damn this tri stuff.

I used the formula to start but found what I would percieve as zone 2 to be around the 135 mark even though it should be at 120.  Zone 3 to be at 145 and Zone 4 at 155.  At least based on what my thinking is(who knows if this is right).  What really confuses me though is if I push my self on a nice long hill and hump it up the hill my HR will shoot up to the 155-160 area and be back down to the 120ish range within 10-15 seconds.  Seems like it should take longer to return as I am pretty new to this endurance stuff and not in great cardio vascular shape.  I can feel a little burn on the hill, but push through it and it does not stay unless I hit another hill but then gone again.  I have excellant strength in my legs(in terms of ability to move weight in the gym) but not for endurance sports.  Am I just a screwed up mess or should I continue to follow the HR training and I will see improvement?  To be honest I have not been doing the HR training very long but pictured things going differently when comparing perceived effort vs. HR Zone

2006-05-19 7:20 AM
in reply to: #427819

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Buckeye - have you done the LT Test? Once you do that, you'll have solid numbers. Its like reading a manual on how to drive a car. It doesn't mean much until you actually get out there and see what it's actually like. So, try to get the test done ASAP, field or lab and then you'll have some real numbers to work with. For most of us- the talk test works fine for Zone 2. I nice easy pace that you will allow you to to have a conversation with your running partner (or with yourself like I do). :-) - IF you are running and you can't speak in FULL sentences, you are running too hard IF you are trying to run Zone 2 range. I hope this helps.

Mike

PS - thanks Cruse on the race and Joel - your version is solid. I guess I should update my version at some point huh? ;-)

2006-05-19 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Thanks for the feedback Mike and others.   I will give it a try in a few weeks since my first tri is in 2 weeks.  Seems like something that I would not want to do so close to my tri unless I can get it in this weekend.  THanks again
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Zones: 220-Age - the TRUTH! Rss Feed  

of 24