Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2012-01-02 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3944639

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: THE SLAYER RULES-CLOsED for xmas

and this is a cut and paste of my annual goals from the ga forum so sorry if some of you read this already. i think its a worthy post for discussion purposes:

On the whole, I learned, lived, raced and trained a lot in 2011 and hope to improve myself as a triathlete and person in 2012! Look forward to being a part of your journeys too. In fact, I am taking the coaching course in Feruary to give back more to y'all and be there for the kids too. I really don't see making a .01$ from it but you never know....

I am learning that I am more of a social trainer so I'd like to keep making efforts to connect with my regulars and new folks to train with. You guys are making my social network expand in ways that make me very happy.

Annual goals for 2012 are to hit at least 300,000 swim yards (and swim 150 times avg 3x/per week), 6000 bike miles (avg 500 per month minimum), and 2400 run miles (avg 200 mi per month). This would mean no injuries of significance and lots of consistent training.

Racing preparation needs to be more chill this year in terms of obsessive compulsiveness; therefore, I probably don't need to be expecting lots of PRs but solid races nonetheless. Basically, the game plan is to always keep close to HIM fit, and fire it up as races approach. 

I really want to get the DreamTeam youth tri club up and running, and continue to involve my kids in the sport. On that note, I would like to see my mentor thread develop and be helpful as well as contribute to Ga BT forum and my other BT friends as much as possible.

I also want to mention there are at least 2 full marathons on the schedule. I may try to have fun with them and push the pace a bit, but won't hold myself to it and I really don't need to BQ again for my ego. 

Likewise, I intend to explore ultras a bit and see how they feel in terms of future directions. Running, which is truly one of my weapons, seems to be thriving with the high volume and low intensity approach. Its fun running trails and just runnign my natural pace. I'd like to see how far this comfortably takes me.

I'm fine with my biking data at the HIM distance, but I would like to get more consistently focused with the swim improvement so I intend to get more time in the water and with a swim coach as possible.

I think its time to start to moderate food and drink consumption again as my training volume seems to jump up to my caloric intake volume. I have become somewhat of an Athletic Bulimic. Thats not really cool. 

Even though there are some things I'd like to do that I intend to do (i.e., TTT, England Triathlon, etc.), the only significant long term athletic goal I have now is to get some revenge on the IM distance. That will probably have to wait until 2013. Everything else athletic-oriented is secondary to that goal.

2012-01-02 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA

Glad to hear that everyone is having a good start to the year, Im going to live vicariously through that.  My year is starting with an IT Band that isnt playing nice and a trip to the ER for my wife, who took a nose dive on the dance floor and needed some stitches.  Guess we need to work on the balance drills this month...

On a serious note, Im planning on going swim heavy the next couple weeks in hopes of finding some type of feel in the water.  Since Im swimming like a rock these days, Im just looking to get in some hours and build up the swim endurance.

2012-01-02 8:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Thanks for the tips, guys.  I haven't done the fist drill in a long time.  I'll have to work on that.  On Wednesday, I start swimming with my new masters' team and I hope that helps. It's supposed to be a good one.  It's become (and has been) painfully obvious that I don't swim enough when swimming on my own.
2012-01-02 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Just got done with 4 mile run/walk on the treadmill at planet fitness. so glad I went...things got busy today but I got my gear together and went over just after 9:30 PM.

The fist swim sounds great, but I'm afraid I'd drown trying to complete the other drill kate mentioned...LOL

2012-01-02 10:45 PM
in reply to: #3967356

User image

Regular
Spokane
Worked through a 5 mile jog and 2000 yard swim today.  I'm still feeling pretty sick.  I never knew how hard it is to swim with a head cold. Maybe by next week I won't feel like an anchor
2012-01-03 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Today is v v windy in Glasgow, the lights went off 4 times during the swim session this morning and I have little hope of flying down south for work as it currently stands so I did a swim:run brick session to free me up for a potential drive!

2012-01-03 2:23 PM

User image

Elite
SE

good work on the cold workouts! seize the moments. they add up in the end to good race results. i did a trainer z2 1.5 hour bash. well not really a bash.

ill ask again, who wants under the microscope first? step right up! we all are going under it to force us to think and get alternative perspectives on who we are as triathletes, where we are going, etc.

2012-01-03 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
I know I shouldn't get excited... but I weighed myself Jan 1 morning and have already lost 5 pounds!!

Shows you what can happen when you watch what you eat, don't eat junk food/high calorie food and exercise a bit.

2012-01-03 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3968654

User image

Veteran
phatknot - 2012-01-03 3:23 PM

ill ask again, who wants under the microscope first? step right up! we all are going under it to force us to think and get alternative perspectives on who we are as triathletes, where we are going, etc.

Why not, I'll go first if you like.

2012-01-03 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3968996

User image

Elite
SE

I really like that richtherunner!  Lets discuss Rich everyone. I will try to go fetch his original posts and we can discuss who he is and what he is doing right.

EDIT TO PASTE:

Name: Richard

Story: I am a mid pack age grouper, in the 50-54 age category. I took up running in early 2005 (no prior history of running) as a way to keep the weight off. I had lost about 60lbs in the prior 6 months thanks to the South Beach Diet. I started with a 10K clinic with a goal of running the company 10K charity race on July 1st. Ran my 1st race (10K) on May 1st, then another 10K on May 29th and had done another two races before my goal race. As you can tell I became hooked pretty quickly.

I am also a certified Marathon coach and have couched 3 1/2 Marathon clinics and one Marathon clinic in the last few years.

Up until today, I have completed 100+ running races and 17 tri's of various distances up to 1/2IM.

Family Status: Married for 20 years (but together for 29), no kids. Wife is very supportive, but has asked lately "what is missing in your life that you feel you need to do a full IronMan?"

Live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Current Training: Maintenance mode. Bike 2hours a week (indoor), swim 3 times a week, run 5 times a week, maintaining about 20K max distance on Sundays. Will be starting more bike sessions in the new year.

This Years Races: Goal race was Steelhead 70.3, had a great race, however the swim was cancelled. Also completed 1/2 Marathon, 30K (around the bay) and a Marathon where everyone in the group I was coaching completed and met their goals.

2012 Races: My goal for 1012 is complete Florida IM (managed to get a spot) with a goal of finishing in about 15hrs or less. And will likely complete a couple of Olympics and maybe a 1/2IM in the run up to November.

Weightloss: As mentioned at the begining lost a lot of weight before starting to run. Still maintain about a 185/190 weight. Would like to be 175ish though and am sure that will come this year.

What needs work?: The swim is my weakest leg. Have started to get more comfortable in the last 9 months, but still not very fast.

Looking forward to being in the group and having a lot of fun over the year.

EDIT to add; WTG on the weight loss TC117!

Edited by phatknot 2012-01-03 5:51 PM
2012-01-03 5:53 PM

User image

Elite
SE
Rich tell us what you are doing again to prep for IMFL in 11/2012. What races are leading up to it, what kind of plan or coach are you using, what equipment issues are you having, who you are training with, if your wife is on board, how are you improving your swim and losing the weight (So Beach?)? Color it in a bit and we can go from there.

2012-01-04 7:08 AM

User image

Veteran

Ok here goes:

To prep, am doing the free 16 week IM plan from BT site. Will do it twice, as there is plenty of time. As mentioned in my bio, I am a mid to back packer, not fast and definitely not going to win any awards, however am doing this to chalenge myself.

Swim:

Swim, on my own, 3 times per week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings). Always start at 5am as it is quiet and the gym opens at that time, so first one in the pool. Monday's will be medium distance - 1.5Km to 2Km. Wednesday is planned for alonger distance - 2Km to 3Km and later in the plan to get to 4Km. Friday is shorter swim (1K), but increased intensity to improve speed. Friday is also followed by an hour of Yoga.

Bike:

Started 2hr indoor Computrainer group rides on Saturday mornings followed by 20 minute run off the bike. This started at beginning of November. There is also an option to take the next 2 hour session too, to bring it to a 4 hour ride. I will be starting additional indoor rides during the week (At least 2 more). Some Saturdays I plan to do a 30 minutes swim before the ride to get used to biking after a swim.

Once the snow stops and the temps warm up a little (end of March, early April), I will take to the roads and start doing longer rides.

Run:

Running is planned for Tuesday Mornings (6Km-8Km), Wednesday evening usually around 6Km - 10Km, with hill training and speed work. May run on Thursday mornings too, if feeling good. Friday evenings is a group social run always the same 6Km's. Sunday morning will be the long run, usually 16Km up to 25Km, but increasing to 32Km later in the training. All runs will be outside.

Typical training will be 3 weeks build up and 1 week recovery, where volume and intensity will be reduced to about 50% of the previous weeks. The build up weeks will increase by about 10 to 15% each week.

Support and coaching:

My wife is supportive, but doesn't participate, so a lot of the training will be alone. However I have a couple of friends who I can ride with and work with on the runs. One friend is also doing IMFL and has competed in 3 others IM's so far and she will be helping me with the training.

Nutrition:

As for the nutrition, I am continuing with Phase III of South Beach. I am starting to monitor and note the foods that I eat and how that translates into the  workouts. I have noticed that a couple of days on the bike in November felt hard, however the next week, with a harder course, it was a breeze, so I am starting to take note of intake to see what works for me. My goal is to be 170lbs to 175lbs by race day. Currently at 190lbs.

Races as Prep:

I have a couple of running races during the spring, Around the Bay 30K and Angus Glen 10Miler. In June there is an open water swim that has a 1K, 2K or 4K race, I plan on doing the 4K this year.

In summer, there are a couple of half IM's in my vicinity that I am looking to do at least one of, if the timing works out. I also plan on doing a couple of sprints, just to practice the transitions.

This looks like it's a pretty full calendar for the next 11 months, but if I can keep this up and get the nutrition right, it should be an amaing year.

2012-01-04 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3969986

User image

Elite
SE

Where exactly are you located?

That looks pretty darn solid. The indoor training will be perfect for the flat bike course at IMFL where you are constantly pedaling. Stay aero as much as possible.THe OWS will be crucial too as thats one of the toughest elements of the IMFL course (the surf and chop). The run is completely flat but your background in running should have you ready for that.

I'd like you to discuss a few things:

You state "Typical training will be 3 weeks build up and 1 week recovery, where volume and intensity will be reduced to about 50% of the previous weeks." and I would ask how come you do this? Is it what works for you or just what is prescribed?

What will be your race day nutrition?

I think the longer bikes will be critical for you. OThers can chime in too!

2012-01-04 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3970378

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
phatknot - 2012-01-04 10:52 AM

You state "Typical training will be 3 weeks build up and 1 week recovery, where volume and intensity will be reduced to about 50% of the previous weeks." and I would ask how come you do this? Is it what works for you or just what is prescribed?

I do a similar 3 weeks on/1 week off, although I dont reduce my recovery week to 50%.  For me, its a "seems to work", although Ive never tried anything different, like going with 10 day "weeks".  I havent put enough thought into the logistics of how it works, but I wouldnt be opposed to trying it at some point in the future if anyone has experience with it.

2012-01-04 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran

I'm very glad to see everyone's positive attitude in new year. Mine is however dropped plenty and I have to complain... like someone hit the switch on January 1st, lots of things turned against me. Working under lot of stress, not being able to train at all. Personal issues as well. Thinking of how much positivism I planned for this year, I hate it so far Frown

Things not going according to plan. Oh well...

2012-01-04 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Rich,

I'll probably see you down at IMFL as I am planning on going down to volunteer and sign up for 2013 (if the world doesn't end DEC 21...according to the History channel, LOL)

I wold suggest riding in aero position as much as possible and working core and back muscles as you will be in aero position all day on the bike. No elevation besides a couple of causeways.

Nutrition is one of the key elements when going long. I did a Lake Placid training ride and didn't eat much at all the day before and it was torture and I was like no way I can complete this race. Went back again month later for training 2 and felt so much better after eating right leading into that ride.

I have a few clients in Toronto and probably schedule a trip up to see them (Kinross Gold/Cambridge Mercantile) in April or May will see if you want to meet up when I enter the Northland.

Best,
Tom

2012-01-04 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3970378

User image

Veteran
phatknot - 2012-01-04 10:52 AM

Where exactly are you located?

That looks pretty darn solid. The indoor training will be perfect for the flat bike course at IMFL where you are constantly pedaling. Stay aero as much as possible.THe OWS will be crucial too as thats one of the toughest elements of the IMFL course (the surf and chop). The run is completely flat but your background in running should have you ready for that.

I'd like you to discuss a few things:

What will be your race day nutrition?

I think the longer bikes will be critical for you. OThers can chime in too!

I'm located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

When I started running the clinic followed a 3 week build up in intensity/endurance and then a week of recovery. I.e. not as long and not as intense. It has worked for me in all my training, including when training for the Goofy a couple years ago. I like the idea of having a slow down week as it gives my body a chance to recover, get caught up with sleep and other "chores" etc.

Aero is definitely something I am working on. The indoor rides are a great opportunity to practice and get used to the feel. Yoga is helping with the core and once the additional poundage is reduced from the middle it will feel easier (no more hitting the stomach with both legs).

2012-01-04 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego

I had an awesome morning!  Rode 45 min on the drainer, 15 minute transition run.  Then I had my first swim with my new masters' team.  I was pretty nervous but it was awesome!  1.5 hour swim, 4000 yards.  Kicked my azz big time but I feel great now!  The coach was super friendly and helpful and the other people were really nice.  This is exactly what I've been looking for.  I am much slower than I used to be.  My 500 time trial was 11:01.  Ugh!  Lots of room for improvement.  

I'll weigh in on Rich in my next post.

2012-01-04 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3970679

User image

Veteran

TC117 - 2012-01-04 12:37 PM Rich, I'll probably see you down at IMFL as I am planning on going down to volunteer and sign up for 2013 (if the world doesn't end DEC 21...according to the History channel, LOL) I wold suggest riding in aero position as much as possible and working core and back muscles as you will be in aero position all day on the bike. No elevation besides a couple of causeways. Nutrition is one of the key elements when going long. I did a Lake Placid training ride and didn't eat much at all the day before and it was torture and I was like no way I can complete this race. Went back again month later for training 2 and felt so much better after eating right leading into that ride. I have a few clients in Toronto and probably schedule a trip up to see them (Kinross Gold/Cambridge Mercantile) in April or May will see if you want to meet up when I enter the Northland. Best, Tom

Sounds good!

2012-01-04 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3969986

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego

I am NOT friends with BT right now. It keeps logging me out after I click submit.  Grrrrr.

I posted my comments in red.

richtherunner - 2012-01-04 5:08 AM

Ok here goes:

To prep, am doing the free 16 week IM plan from BT site. Will do it twice, as there is plenty of time. As mentioned in my bio, I am a mid to back packer, not fast and definitely not going to win any awards, however am doing this to chalenge myself.

Are you planning on doing the plans back to back?  I would do week 1 twice, then week 2 twice, etc.  That way you won't peak twice.  Maybe you already plan on doing that.

Swim:

Swim, on my own, 3 times per week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings). Always start at 5am as it is quiet and the gym opens at that time, so first one in the pool. Monday's will be medium distance - 1.5Km to 2Km. Wednesday is planned for alonger distance - 2Km to 3Km and later in the plan to get to 4Km. Friday is shorter swim (1K), but increased intensity to improve speed. Friday is also followed by an hour of Yoga.

If you can self-motivate and improve on your own, that's great.  I cannot.  A masters' team can help if you're socially motivated or need some coaching or just need more fun.

Bike:

Started 2hr indoor Computrainer group rides on Saturday mornings followed by 20 minute run off the bike. This started at beginning of November. There is also an option to take the next 2 hour session too, to bring it to a 4 hour ride. I will be starting additional indoor rides during the week (At least 2 more). Some Saturdays I plan to do a 30 minutes swim before the ride to get used to biking after a swim.

Once the snow stops and the temps warm up a little (end of March, early April), I will take to the roads and start doing longer rides.

As long as you get some long outdoor rides in once it warms up, you're golden here.

Run:

Running is planned for Tuesday Mornings (6Km-8Km), Wednesday evening usually around 6Km - 10Km, with hill training and speed work. May run on Thursday mornings too, if feeling good. Friday evenings is a group social run always the same 6Km's. Sunday morning will be the long run, usually 16Km up to 25Km, but increasing to 32Km later in the training. All runs will be outside.

Typical training will be 3 weeks build up and 1 week recovery, where volume and intensity will be reduced to about 50% of the previous weeks. The build up weeks will increase by about 10 to 15% each week.

Curious about the 3 week build, 1 week recovery. I've never done that with running, but it sounds smart.  Have you done this before?

Support and coaching:

My wife is supportive, but doesn't participate, so a lot of the training will be alone. However I have a couple of friends who I can ride with and work with on the runs. One friend is also doing IMFL and has competed in 3 others IM's so far and she will be helping me with the training.

Maybe you could spoil your wife a bit now so she's more on board with the heavy training later on.

Nutrition:

As for the nutrition, I am continuing with Phase III of South Beach. I am starting to monitor and note the foods that I eat and how that translates into the  workouts. I have noticed that a couple of days on the bike in November felt hard, however the next week, with a harder course, it was a breeze, so I am starting to take note of intake to see what works for me. My goal is to be 170lbs to 175lbs by race day. Currently at 190lbs.

You'll be a skinny bit%$ in no time!  What do you eat/drink during training?  Time to start working that out now.

Races as Prep:

I have a couple of running races during the spring, Around the Bay 30K and Angus Glen 10Miler. In June there is an open water swim that has a 1K, 2K or 4K race, I plan on doing the 4K this year.

In summer, there are a couple of half IM's in my vicinity that I am looking to do at least one of, if the timing works out. I also plan on doing a couple of sprints, just to practice the transitions.

This looks like it's a pretty full calendar for the next 11 months, but if I can keep this up and get the nutrition right, it should be an amaing year.

You're going to be great!

2012-01-04 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

Rich

I think overall, the plan looks great. The only thing I may see is the 50% dropoff in training. If you have done this before and it works, I would say go for it. My "off" weeks tend to be only a few less hours but less intense. 

Also, running appears to be your strength make sure you get that bike time in. A strong bike leg makes for a much better run. I think the computrainer classes will really get you off on the right foot with this.

2012-01-04 2:34 PM

User image

I would recommend training with others. It's easy to skip sessions if your doing them on your own. If your out training with someone you don't want to let them down. My best results came when i was running with the local club
2012-01-04 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3971121

User image

Veteran

silverback25 - 2012-01-04 3:34 PM I would recommend training with others. It's easy to skip sessions if your doing them on your own. If your out training with someone you don't want to let them down. My best results came when i was running with the local club

Agreed, pretty much the only "alone" training is the swim, everything else usually involves others. So I get the social as well as the moral support.

2012-01-04 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3971210

User image

Elite
SE

This is the SLAYER mentor thread. We don't want no excuses. Just get the work done!And feel free to turn on the mentor at any point for not walking the walk. I havent swam yet this year! But I am dropping some weight and getting some bike run in.

Solid day Ashley! You are right. Spoil the sig other now and it pays off later.

I am on board for IMFL 2013 as my return to the big time so I may see y'all there, if not in 2012 for volunteering. The issue I may have is Sav ga mary is the same day and MRs Slayer wants some revenge on that course. I promised her I would go back with her.

We still need to know what race day nutrition will look like for Rich. Rich, do you want to ask us anything about your training. This is a great opportunity to get some feedback from a bunch of regular folks with no certifications but plenty of knowledge.

Who is up next?

2012-01-04 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3971619

User image

Veteran
phatknot - 2012-01-04 8:14 PM

We still need to know what race day nutrition will look like for Rich. Rich, do you want to ask us anything about your training. This is a great opportunity to get some feedback from a bunch of regular folks with no certifications but plenty of knowledge.

Who is up next?

Normal pre-race breakfast of Oatmeal. For my Marathon's I have stuck to Gel's (Gu), but feel I need to try some other stuff for IM. Will probably need at least 200cals per hour on the bike, and then maybe the same for the first half of the run. Most of this will be worked out during training and from advice from you guys etc. I know I will be taking in a lot of water too as I tend to sweat a lot.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » THE SLAYER RULES-FULL Up Rss Feed  

of 46