of 34

2012-04-17 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4155830

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Becoming Sober
BellinghamSpence - 2012-04-17 11:46 AM
RushTogether - 2012-04-16 5:48 PM

Thank you all for sharing your stories, it has really been an eye opener to me....

I would love to say that I am still going strong with my streak, but I'm not.

I went on a 3 day drinking binge...I don't know why...I can't explain it.

I'm on day 2 sober, I just got back from a meeting...I got up and spoke today...it was one of the biggest releases I have ever felt in my life.  I also found another sober triathlete at my meeting, and he is going to be my sponsor..

It wasn't easy for me to come in here and tell you that I slipped up...I feel as though I let you all down, and for that I am sorry.

But, I will try again....

Remember you are Human, things happen.   There are setbacks and missteps.   It's up to you to get back on that sober horse/bike and get and keep that streak going.

The best thing you did was admit the failure.  They happen.   Takes a big man to admit something like that on COJ.   

If I may ask,  did you get into a situation where you were around booze or did you go out and find it.   Reason I ask,  I walked through my grocery store and through the wine section, but I didn't buy any bottles.   Thought about it, but used the excuse of my colon problems to not inbibe.

Remember to take it a day at a time.  When the urge happens, do something else.

Is drinking alcohol and smoking tobacco the same type of addiction?  I just remember a class in HS that a teacher talked about physiolocgical and psycholgical factors.

Oh I walked out and found it...no doubt about that.

2012-04-17 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4056558

User image

Elite
Nice! Own it!
2012-04-17 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4156609

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri
RushTogether - 2012-04-17 3:40 PM
RushTogether - 2012-04-16 5:48 PM

Oh I walked out and found it...no doubt about that.

rigorous honesty,   

2012-04-18 11:01 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Well I too have had a set back unfortunately. It I am still fighting. My dad passed away last week and my grief has been overwhelming. I'm back in scotland and my dads funeral is on Friday and there's a wake afterwards in a pub. I'm dreading it. It there will be more than enough people there that don't drink and that will help.....So all in all I had a few pints on Thursday night with some friends, it was more social but I still drank end of story. I should probably look into grief councelling.
2012-04-18 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4158173

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

Triathlynne - 2012-04-18 11:01 AM Well I too have had a set back unfortunately. It I am still fighting. My dad passed away last week and my grief has been overwhelming. I'm back in scotland and my dads funeral is on Friday and there's a wake afterwards in a pub. I'm dreading it. It there will be more than enough people there that don't drink and that will help.....So all in all I had a few pints on Thursday night with some friends, it was more social but I still drank end of story. I should probably look into grief councelling.

So sorry about your dad.  Now time to deal with life.  We're here for you, hang in there...

2012-04-18 11:38 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Triathlynne - 2012-04-19 12:01 AM Well I too have had a set back unfortunately. It I am still fighting. My dad passed away last week and my grief has been overwhelming. I'm back in scotland and my dads funeral is on Friday and there's a wake afterwards in a pub. I'm dreading it. It there will be more than enough people there that don't drink and that will help.....So all in all I had a few pints on Thursday night with some friends, it was more social but I still drank end of story. I should probably look into grief councelling.

This is probably a good idea regardless, if you can do it.

Again ... my most loving thoughts and prayers are with your family and you particularly.

It may help to focus on good times you had with your dad and good things about him during the funeral services and wake to take a bit of the focus off drowning your pain.

I'm so sorry, love. There aren't any shortcuts here, and there isn't anything I can tell you that you don't know ... like alcohol MAY only delay but probably then magnify the pain.

I'm here for you. We're here for you.

2012-04-18 3:14 PM

User image

Expert

Triathlynne - 2012-04-18 11:01 AM Well I too have had a set back unfortunately. It I am still fighting. My dad passed away last week and my grief has been overwhelming. I'm back in scotland and my dads funeral is on Friday and there's a wake afterwards in a pub. I'm dreading it. It there will be more than enough people there that don't drink and that will help.....So all in all I had a few pints on Thursday night with some friends, it was more social but I still drank end of story. I should probably look into grief councelling.

*hugs*

We can do this!!!

2012-04-20 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4155110

User image

Denver, CO
annie - 2012-04-17 7:44 AM

Thanks all for your stories and your lives.  It truly is inspiring.

And thanks RushTogether for the last sentence in your last post:  "But, I will try again...."

X1000. I'm so moved by reading all your stories. Thank you for your honesty and humility. (((lots of hugs)))

2012-04-20 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4155830

User image

Denver, CO

Is drinking alcohol and smoking tobacco the same type of addiction?  I just remember a class in HS that a teacher talked about physiolocgical and psycholgical factors.

Yes. Addictions are associated with your brain's production of dopamine by the brain. You take a drink/drag/hit, get a rush of dopamine, the pleasure center of your brain registers it, and you get "rewarded" for your action. After a while, it takes more of whatever substance/activity (it can be gambling, sex, drugs, alcohol, shopping, whatever) for the reward to register. And unfortunately, even though your conscious brain doesn't want to imbibe, that pleasure center is a powerful thing. We get the same feelings when we eat, have sex, exercise, or do anything that feels good. With addictions, for some reason, there is only 1 thing that becomes the primary source of that dopamine production. Some people's brains are more prone to addictions due to genetic differences (hence family histories of alcoholism). Replacing an addiction with a *variety* of things you enjoy is key.

Unfortunately knowing all this doesn't necessarily help people conquer their addictions. Behavior modification is definitely part of the process but so is the determination to stay sober and having support to do it. And sobriety is always a learning process. Sometimes you do hit bumps in the road. Reframing them as learning experiences rather than failures can really help.

I talk all day long with smokers struggling to quit and hear that even the determination isn't enough sometimes. I talked to a guy yesterday who's been trying to quit for 10 years. He has had 2 surgeries for throat cancer and knows smoking is killing him. He told me he'd cut off his legs if someone told him that would help him quit smoking.

Healing and loving thoughts to all of you grappling with your addictions. You have so much courage and strength, even if it might not feel like it sometimes.

2012-04-20 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4081001

nray66 - 2012-03-05 10:21 AM

Congrats on taking steps to better your life.  One of my inspirations is a guy named Todd Crandell and Racing for Recovery. (www.racingforrecovery.com)  I knew Todd in high school and he was as messed up as the video below talks about.  Todd was over the top.  He found his way out through triathalons as a way to stay focused.  He has now raced in IM's and Ultras around the world.  Team Racing for Recovery is an on-line support group to help.  Something to at least check out.  Although based in Ohio, Todd helps people all over the place.

ESPN did a segment on Todd several years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgmDMEaZlwE&feature=player_embedded

A documentary, Racing with Demons, was just recently released.  This is a trailer:

www.racingwithdemons.com

https://www.facebook.com/#!/Running.with.Demons

Congratulations.  Sometimes, when I was feeling down, watching Todd's video's helped me to know that if he could come back from where he was that I could do it too.  Thought I would forward it along.

Just perusing threads....that video gave me some goosebumps! I hardly ever drink but it is because growing up both of my parents are alcoholics and I've seen first hand what it does. I know I can't go down that path. This video was awesome though and I will share it with others! My vice is food and that one is pretty tough to curb too.

2012-04-23 3:13 PM

User image

Expert

How we all doing out there?

I am going for a long bike ride tomorrow with my sponsor, pretty excited about that!!

2012-04-23 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4167925

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
RushTogether - 2012-04-23 3:13 PM

I am going for a long bike ride tomorrow with my sponsor, pretty excited about that!!

Doing great! I am close to my 9 year mark!  Amazing how time flies!  I am racing this weekend, so I am getting ready for that!  

2012-04-24 6:23 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
RushTogether - 2012-04-23 3:13 PM

Tyler, that is awesome!!  A sponsor that you can train with???  WIN-WIN!!!  Glad to hear you are doing well!!!

2012-04-24 6:37 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Doing great!

Was blessed to be able to cook dinner for 100 yesterday for my Home Group's 50th anniversary, and I'm racing this weekend and the weather is supposed to be beautiful.

Life Is Good.
2012-04-24 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4163208

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
laffinrock - 2012-04-20 11:45 AM

Yes. Addictions are associated with your brain's production of dopamine by the brain. You take a drink/drag/hit, get a rush of dopamine, the pleasure center of your brain registers it, and you get "rewarded" for your action. After a while, it takes more of whatever substance/activity (it can be gambling, sex, drugs, alcohol, shopping, whatever) for the reward to register. And unfortunately, even though your conscious brain doesn't want to imbibe, that pleasure center is a powerful thing. We get the same feelings when we eat, have sex, exercise, or do anything that feels good. With addictions, for some reason, there is only 1 thing that becomes the primary source of that dopamine production. Some people's brains are more prone to addictions due to genetic differences (hence family histories of alcoholism). Replacing an addiction with a *variety* of things you enjoy is key.

Unfortunately knowing all this doesn't necessarily help people conquer their addictions. Behavior modification is definitely part of the process but so is the determination to stay sober and having support to do it. And sobriety is always a learning process. Sometimes you do hit bumps in the road. Reframing them as learning experiences rather than failures can really help.

I talk all day long with smokers struggling to quit and hear that even the determination isn't enough sometimes. I talked to a guy yesterday who's been trying to quit for 10 years. He has had 2 surgeries for throat cancer and knows smoking is killing him. He told me he'd cut off his legs if someone told him that would help him quit smoking.

Healing and loving thoughts to all of you grappling with your addictions. You have so much courage and strength, even if it might not feel like it sometimes.

Thanks for the reply, I stopped smoking back on 1 June 02.  I remember that breaking the habit of when you smoked was one of the keys.  Everytime the urge came to smoke, brush your teeth, go for a walk, do pushups...

Edited by BellinghamSpence 2012-04-24 10:49 AM
2012-04-24 12:49 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Good. Haven't had anything since I arrived back in Scotland and don't intend to either. Went swimming today at my old pool. It's 50M of pure bliss it was closed when I was here last year. Loved it.

2012-04-24 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4169998

User image

Melon Presser

Triathlynne - 2012-04-25 1:49 AM Good. Haven't had anything since I arrived back in Scotland and don't intend to either. Went swimming today at my old pool. It's 50M of pure bliss it was closed when I was here last year. Loved it.

It's good to see you enjoying your natural habitat and even better with a clear head. Love you HEAPS and prayers for you and your family. {{{MELON PRESS}}}

2012-04-24 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4169998

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

Triathlynne - 2012-04-24 12:49 PM Good. Haven't had anything since I arrived back in Scotland and don't intend to either. Went swimming today at my old pool. It's 50M of pure bliss it was closed when I was here last year. Loved it.

Awesome!  I biked 15 miles before work today and ran/walked a couple miles during lunch today...  You're right, it was pure bliss..

2012-04-24 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member
I think I might need help. For years, I have occassionally abused alcohol to the point where I was royally hungover the next day and filled with guilt over my behavior. But then I also had some periods of time where I gave it up so I could "detox" my system, and then maintained reasonable behavior with alcohol after that.

The last few months, the abuse has been ramping up. I can find a million reasons why -- job stress, medical stress, blah, blah -- but everyone can. I'm sick of reasons.

I took a new job a little over a month ago and I was hoping to have a fresh start. No more sitting at my desk in misery after drinking too much the night before. No more calling in "sick" because I'm too dizzy to sit up. But in the month at my new job, twice I've had to go home in the middle of the day to nap because I was hungover. Today I called in and said my daughter was sick and I would be in at noon so I could sleep some more. And there's been a couple additional days where I've felt like crap but sucked it up and made it through the day anyhow.

I am not going to call myself an alcoholic. I am not going to AA - not today, anyway. I am not swearing off. But something has to change. I guess I just needed a place to say all that. I've been reading this thread with interest and thought it would be a good place to start. Thanks for listening.
2012-04-24 3:41 PM

User image

Expert

If you think you might need help, then you probably do.

There is nothing wrong with asking for help...But one thing I have learned, is that you have to want the help..

2012-04-24 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4170444

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

smarti - 2012-04-24 3:06 PM I think I might need help. For years, I have occassionally abused alcohol to the point where I was royally hungover the next day and filled with guilt over my behavior. But then I also had some periods of time where I gave it up so I could "detox" my system, and then maintained reasonable behavior with alcohol after that. The last few months, the abuse has been ramping up. I can find a million reasons why -- job stress, medical stress, blah, blah -- but everyone can. I'm sick of reasons. I took a new job a little over a month ago and I was hoping to have a fresh start. No more sitting at my desk in misery after drinking too much the night before. No more calling in "sick" because I'm too dizzy to sit up. But in the month at my new job, twice I've had to go home in the middle of the day to nap because I was hungover. Today I called in and said my daughter was sick and I would be in at noon so I could sleep some more. And there's been a couple additional days where I've felt like crap but sucked it up and made it through the day anyhow. I am not going to call myself an alcoholic. I am not going to AA - not today, anyway. I am not swearing off. But something has to change. I guess I just needed a place to say all that. I've been reading this thread with interest and thought it would be a good place to start. Thanks for listening.

This alone would make me seek out some sort of help.  I went through my insurance and started some counseling.  this led me to A.A. Meetings.  I didn't want to go to meetings at first, now I look forward to them.  

Maybe you should just make a phone call.  A.A. was started by one alcoholic choosing to talk to another alcoholic about it.

2012-04-24 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4170547

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
SoberTriGuy - 2012-04-24 3:44 PM

smarti - 2012-04-24 3:06 PM I think I might need help. For years, I have occassionally abused alcohol to the point where I was royally hungover the next day and filled with guilt over my behavior. But then I also had some periods of time where I gave it up so I could "detox" my system, and then maintained reasonable behavior with alcohol after that. The last few months, the abuse has been ramping up. I can find a million reasons why -- job stress, medical stress, blah, blah -- but everyone can. I'm sick of reasons. I took a new job a little over a month ago and I was hoping to have a fresh start. No more sitting at my desk in misery after drinking too much the night before. No more calling in "sick" because I'm too dizzy to sit up. But in the month at my new job, twice I've had to go home in the middle of the day to nap because I was hungover. Today I called in and said my daughter was sick and I would be in at noon so I could sleep some more. And there's been a couple additional days where I've felt like crap but sucked it up and made it through the day anyhow. I am not going to call myself an alcoholic. I am not going to AA - not today, anyway. I am not swearing off. But something has to change. I guess I just needed a place to say all that. I've been reading this thread with interest and thought it would be a good place to start. Thanks for listening.

This alone would make me seek out some sort of help.  I went through my insurance and started some counseling.  this led me to A.A. Meetings.  I didn't want to go to meetings at first, now I look forward to them.  

Maybe you should just make a phone call.  A.A. was started by one alcoholic choosing to talk to another alcoholic about it.

x2 to this.  Don't hit rock bottom before you get help.  I am not saying you will, and I do not know your whole situation.  I think the one thing that was the kicker for me was finally getting to step #1 admitting I was powerless over the addiction and my life had become unmanageable.   

2012-04-24 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4170444

User image

Elite
Cleveland
smarti - 2012-04-24 4:06 PM

I think I might need help. For years, I have occassionally abused alcohol to the point where I was royally hungover the next day and filled with guilt over my behavior. But then I also had some periods of time where I gave it up so I could "detox" my system, and then maintained reasonable behavior with alcohol after that.

The last few months, the abuse has been ramping up. I can find a million reasons why -- job stress, medical stress, blah, blah -- but everyone can. I'm sick of reasons.

I took a new job a little over a month ago and I was hoping to have a fresh start. No more sitting at my desk in misery after drinking too much the night before. No more calling in "sick" because I'm too dizzy to sit up. But in the month at my new job, twice I've had to go home in the middle of the day to nap because I was hungover. Today I called in and said my daughter was sick and I would be in at noon so I could sleep some more. And there's been a couple additional days where I've felt like crap but sucked it up and made it through the day anyhow.

I am not going to call myself an alcoholic. I am not going to AA - not today, anyway. I am not swearing off. But something has to change. I guess I just needed a place to say all that. I've been reading this thread with interest and thought it would be a good place to start. Thanks for listening.

Thank YOU for sharing.
The good news is that you do NOT have to live like this any longer.
Like you suggested, reasons are really just premeditated excuses. There is no such thing as a reason to drink - NONE.

People sometimes compare themselves to the stereotypes of the guy living under a bridge and what not and think "I'm not THAT bad"... but that is just something you haven't gotten YET. What you are going through, the broken promises to yourself, the saying "I'm NOT going to do that again tonight", "crap, it's noon and I'm hungover as hell - again"... are all things that almost all of us go through at some point.
For me, it was at my last job, and the last three years of my drinking. I was what you'd call a "functional drunk/alcoholic". Basically, that just means that my drinking hadn't yet progressed to the point where I physically HAD to have it around the clock. Had I kept drinking, however, that WAS waiting for me - no two ways about that. It is a progressive disease, it absolutely NEVER gets better.

My average day was something like this:

Wake up late... have MAYBE enough time to take a bird-bath in the sink and splash on some cologne and deodorant so I won't smell like a brewery and rush out the door, driving like a madman. Get to the office and sneak in the back door and rush to my desk - hoping nobody sees me; then sit down at the desk and look furiously busy like I'd been there all morning. The whole time I'm fighting the urge to throw up with a sour stomach and a wee bit of those nervous shakes that you get with a really good hangover. Just gotta keep my head up off the desk. Around 11:30, I'd be feeling good enough to go get some food in me, and some fluids to help re-hydrate, but I'm now firmly convinced and telling myself "there's just no way in hell I'm doing that again tonight". By 3:30, I'm feeling a bit better - the headaches are gone, the stomach isn't as sour, but I'm still telling myself that it's not going to happen again. At 5pm I'm leaving work, driving home almost white knuckled and still intent on not drinking again, my car nearly auto-pilots itself to the Convenient at the end of my street... and I would go in and get a 12-pack of this, or a couple of bottles or wine, or a 12 pack of some other kind of beer. I'd mix it up, because then I was a connoisseur, not a problem drinker, lol! I'd take it home and further delude myself into thinking that there wasn't a problem by taking care of the domestic stuff first... kinda clean the house, let the dogs out and feed 'em, etc... and it wasn't until after ALL of that was done that I'd allow myself to open the first one. Once I did that, though, it was pretty much all over. I would drink until I ran out or passed out... and if I ran out early enough I'd sometimes run out and get more. Wash, Rinse, Repeat every day for years. The weekends were worse.

You don't have to call yourself anything, and you don't have to go anywhere... just know that if you decide that you want help, there are places that you can go to find it - without judgment, without question, and with open, accepting arms. That is what AA is. It is just a bunch of people that have already been where you are walking, and they can show you the way out. They can show you that there is always Hope for a better life without drinking.... and it is truly amazing at how good it gets.
2012-04-24 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4170596

User image

Elite
Cleveland
ecozenmama - 2012-04-24 5:17 PM

x2 to this.  Don't hit rock bottom before you get help.  I am not saying you will, and I do not know your whole situation.  I think the one thing that was the kicker for me was finally getting to step #1 admitting I was powerless over the addiction and my life had become unmanageable.   

Exactly - Your "Bottom" is what you CHOOSE it to be. You have to be ready to make that choice, however.
2012-04-24 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4170610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member
Thank you so much for telling your story. It is very much like my thought process somedays.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Becoming Sober Rss Feed  

of 34