BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-04-30 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4180200

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE
Jenheaslip - 2012-04-29 9:19 PM

We can donate anytime this coming week? That's awesome that you are running for the Cancer Society!

Jen, yes, I have until 5/6 to get to my goal.   Thanks!

2012-04-30 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4123663

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I picked up Amanda Beard's book  "In The Water They Can't See You Cry" today.  I'll post a review of it when I'm done.  I read Dara Torres' book last year and found it quite entertaining.
2012-05-01 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Found this article today on the USA Triathlon website:

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/articles/kick-for-swim-050112.aspx

Good stuff on the purpose of the kick in a swim and some good drills.

2012-05-02 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4185010

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Just read that yesterday, good article. I am going to try some of the kicks and the heel raises you suggested now that my calves are almost back to normal. And I hope to try the wetsuit again - with BodyGlide - Friday.

mcgilmartin - 2012-04-30 8:44 PM

Found this article today on the USA Triathlon website:

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/articles/kick-for-swim-050112.aspx

Good stuff on the purpose of the kick in a swim and some good drills.

2012-05-02 5:07 PM

User image

Trying to make sure I'm "tapered" for this weekend's ride. We did a tri and then a road run on Saturday, so this is a very easy week. Hope all is well and everyone is doing great!
2012-05-02 5:10 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
It's been pretty quiet lately... we seem to go in spurts here

2012-05-02 10:00 PM

User image

Regular
WI

Have a question about zone 2 training.

The gym I belong to started a tri-training group.  I've worked with the trainer that is leading the group - he's actually the guy responsible for me getting into this whole thing.  He's working on becoming a USAT coach, but isn't certified yet. 

The workouts are pretty challenging, but most of the runs and bikes are in zone 2.  Today's run was as follows:

5 min WU
33 min Zone 2
7 min Zone 5a
5 min Zone 2
Cool down

At this point in my training would it be more beneficial to do LT intervals?  Or should I be spending more time in Zone 2?  The plan is programed to peak for a race in mid June.  Unfortunately, my training logs aren't the most accurate for the past 2-3 weeks. 

I guess I don't feel very challenged or productive with Zone 2 work, even though I know it's necessary.  I'm running 11-12 minute miles when I can go and peel off 8-8:15 miles at 10K pace. 

2012-05-03 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4187439

User image

phyre-

This is a great question, Zone 2 vs. Tempo runs.

My answer (being a half decent runner once upon a time), is that it depends...

If your race is a longer distance (half iron, iron), I would focus on more Zone 2 workouts with a few dedicated Tempo runs, maybe 1 every 2 weeks.  The tempo runs should peak in distance about 3-4 weeks before your race, depending on how much you like to taper, and at 2/3rds the race distance.

If it is a shorter race (sprint, olympic), I would definitely have a good tempo run EVERY week at approx. 0:15-0:30/mile slower than race pace, and at 100% to 3/4 race distance

In my own opinion, the shorter the distance the more important tempo runs are.  Distances of 10K or 5K are simply easier distances to run.  Almost everyone can train for 9-12 weeks and finish a 5k, no matter what shape you start in.  That being said, training for these distances doesn't require running a lot of miles, so the miles that are run should be quality miles.  You can train for a fast 5k with your longest run being 4 miles; less miles equals less recovery.  This means you can put in a higher percentage of hard miles.  For example 3 out of 10 miles per week (3 runs per week, 2 @ 3miles, 1 @ 4 miles)

At longer distnaces you need to build a lot of base and just check every few weeks on your speed to have an estimated finishing time.  If you find that your tempo run speed isn't where you want to be, then replace the tempo runs with fartlek or track work.

Unfortunately, you don't have many weeks left of training before your race.  I would stick with your training plan because changing it drastically could bring on injury.  Evaluate how well your training plan worked, and adjust as needed for next time.

2012-05-03 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Christian-

I agree with Aaron.  The purpose of all the time in Z2 is really to build your base fitness, although it seems like your base might be beyond the challenge at this point.  Still though, in the interest of preventing injury you might want to lay off too much time in the LT area.  Of course I'll add a caveat here since I haven't seen the whole plan: ask your trainer about incorporating a tempo run into your training plan every week.  Maybe you can swap out 1/2 of that Z2 time for more speedwork?  I'd be curious what he says.

Like Aaron said, you can always go through after your June race and change around what didn't work for you.  Another thought- rather than doing that workout which is too easy- what about additional time in the pool instead?  I'm thinking that's your weakest sport, right?  It's always a good idea to work on your weakest sport if you have limited training time, although in this case it sounds like you aren't getting challenged enough- same dilemma though.

Let us know what happens!

2012-05-03 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4188067

User image

Regular
WI

Thanks guys.  I was thinking along the same lines as you two.  I realize there's a difference between thrashing myself every day, fluffing up workouts with a lot of junk miles and good, productive workouts. 

We have a group workout tomorrow night, so I will definitely be asking the coach about adding some more speed work. 

2012-05-04 10:10 PM

User image

Round Rock

Got my first Tri this Sunday. Looking forward to it.

It is a Super Sprint called "The Rookie" that I am doing as a shake down to learn prior to doing my target Sprint Tri on my 50th birthday.

Now after training for all these weeks I think i can complete it (not focused on competing yet).

Will let you all know how it goes. I have definitely appreciated all the race reports that have helped give me in sight in to how to prepare mentally for the challeng.

Edited by katartizo 2012-05-04 10:44 PM

2012-05-05 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4191834

Winnemucca

That's great. I was planning on competing in my first triathlon on June 3 but have decided that I need to work on my swimming endurance (which is a big reason a chose to participate in this team) so I have opted to compete in a few duathlons earlier in the year and hopefully I will be ready to compete in a sprint triathlon in the next few months.

Today is my 37th birthday and I went on a ten-mile run this morning. I haven't been active in this discussion since joining this team but it is a really good tool and can help me quite a bit.

Best of luck on Sunday.

2012-05-05 6:05 PM

My goal this week is to do 1 hour of interval training a minimum of 4 times, plus one pilates class and 1 weight session.  Swimming has come to a halt - it is FREEZING here today!  It only 13C (55F) here this morning and I am hiding under my bedspread trying to get warm.  Just about to head out to the water for a run/walk in the sun though - that will warm me up.

2012-05-05 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4192390

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Happy birthday! And the run was a great gift Smile

triathletetraining30 - 2012-05-04 4:18 PM

That's great. I was planning on competing in my first triathlon on June 3 but have decided that I need to work on my swimming endurance (which is a big reason a chose to participate in this team) so I have opted to compete in a few duathlons earlier in the year and hopefully I will be ready to compete in a sprint triathlon in the next few months.

Today is my 37th birthday and I went on a ten-mile run this morning. I haven't been active in this discussion since joining this team but it is a really good tool and can help me quite a bit.

Best of luck on Sunday.

2012-05-05 9:09 PM

User image

Rode a century today...I'm beat. Tough course, crazy headwinds, horrible chip-seal road and 92+ degree (F) temperatures... I saw people waiting for the SAG wagon with less than 5 miles to go...brutal! Going to go to bed - I'm exhausted!!
2012-05-05 9:13 PM

User image

Round Rock

mmez - Congratulations on your century! way to lead the way for the rest of us!

2012-05-06 1:55 AM
in reply to: #4192852

mmez - 2012-05-06 1:09 PM Rode a century today...I'm beat. Tough course, crazy headwinds, horrible chip-seal road and 92+ degree (F) temperatures... I saw people waiting for the SAG wagon with less than 5 miles to go...brutal! Going to go to bed - I'm exhausted!!

Your craziness is totally inspiring!

2012-05-06 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4192852

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

mmez - 2012-05-05 8:09 PM Rode a century today...I'm beat. Tough course, crazy headwinds, horrible chip-seal road and 92+ degree (F) temperatures... I saw people waiting for the SAG wagon with less than 5 miles to go...brutal! Going to go to bed - I'm exhausted!!

I BOW TO YOU, Oh great Mariah!  Congratulations- what an accomplishment!

2012-05-06 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4192390

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
triathletetraining30 - 2012-05-05 2:18 PM

Best of luck on Sunday.

Hey Justin- glad you posted.  First, Happy Birthday!  Secondly, glad you had a good run.  We're a friendly group, feel free to post away with questions, everyone is happy to help.  Best of luck in your training.

Matt

2012-05-06 4:19 PM

User image

DANG! Downloaded my Garmin info and found that the ride yesterday was short by 3.5 miles...so sad Guess I will have to make another attempt at doing a Century ride (well, once the memories from this one fade enough for me to have the desire to want to even look at my bike again)!
2012-05-06 9:48 PM
in reply to: #4193617

User image

Round Rock

mmez - 2012-05-06 4:19 PM DANG! Downloaded my Garmin info and found that the ride yesterday was short by 3.5 miles...so sad Guess I will have to make another attempt at doing a Century ride (well, once the memories from this one fade enough for me to have the desire to want to even look at my bike again)!

Sounds like what is said about having babies. Can't stand the thought of having another until you forget what labor was like with the last birth

2012-05-06 11:51 PM

Did an hour of interval training in the beautiful Venman Bushland National Park this morning.  A lovely start to the Labour Day holiday.  The rain we have had lately made for interesting detours off the track into the bush to keep my feet dry as newly formed creeks crossed the path.  No snakes out today sunning themselves on the path either, so that was a relief (I may have said a little prayer that I wouldn't come across a snake).  So different from running on the walkways at the river and bay.  Not as harsh on my ankles so I found that I was able to run further this morning - although that could be also due to my hopefully increasing fitness and shrinking waistline.  Maybe a little from column A and a little from column B...

I think I will add a run in the bush to my weekend training, so nice to get out into nature and fresh air.

2012-05-06 11:55 PM

mmez - 2012-05-07 8:19 AM DANG! Downloaded my Garmin info and found that the ride yesterday was short by 3.5 miles...so sad Guess I will have to make another attempt at doing a Century ride (well, once the memories from this one fade enough for me to have the desire to want to even look at my bike again)!

Mariah,

Where I live you made it over a century!  96.5 miles is about 155 km!  Thats a really long way, so in my book you well and truly made it  Smile.  Such an inspiration.

2012-05-07 6:44 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Congrats Mariah, what an accomplishment and a great milestone.

I recently made the same decision as Justin, to put off the first tri, which I had planned for May 12. I'm really eager to do one actually, but since I am having issues with the wetsuit and still fall over on the bike, it's probably better to wait a bit. Smile Money is also very tight right now with a summer vacation coming up along with preschool summer tuition and summer camps, so when I put the two together I decided to wait. We would have to pay for the tri and a hotel and maybe dog boarding. These things can be expensive!

All the tris coming up here in the mountains have long bike segments with really big hills so it will be a while until there's another chance. I did find one in SC and one in Tenn. not too far away that I could do June 23 or 24, so that's the new target date I guess. 

Sunday I took my longest ride yet, 20.5 miles with some decent hills, and it took me 1:40 LOL I only fell over twice, once when I couldn't unclip in time executing a tight circle and once when I was taking a break with my left leg down and forgot that I hadn't unclipped the right side. Whoops. One day I'll figure this out!

2012-05-07 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

mmez - 2012-05-06 3:19 PM DANG! Downloaded my Garmin info and found that the ride yesterday was short by 3.5 miles...so sad Guess I will have to make another attempt at doing a Century ride (well, once the memories from this one fade enough for me to have the desire to want to even look at my bike again)!

I saw your Garmin data- well done!!!!!

I wouldn't sweat the 96.5 miles not being 100.  Granted, it's a nice round #, but I'm willing to bet your Garmin was off a bit.  Did you check with other riders to see what their GPS listed the mileage as?  Regardless, it's a huge accomplishment.  You did great, Mariah

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  

of 25