General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2012-09-21 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
tasr - 2012-08-01 12:50 PM Hi All,

This will be the 3rd IMLP for me.  I love this course and have trained here a few times.  In 2013 my goal is to improve my overall time from 2010, the last time I raced this course.

I have a few years of experience with Triathlons, so any questions I will try to answer. 

So questions for the group.

1. Is this your first IM?
2. Have you done LP before?
3. What are your goals for the 2013 race?
4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc&hellip

1. LP will be my 8th Ironman. My first of 2 for 2013. WI will be my second hometown race that I cannot ever pass up.  

2. I have never have done LP, but really am looking forward to it, and I have heard great things about the course.

3. Goals - well Finish is always #1 and time goals - 11:XX:XX

4. Housing but I am reading the responses and going to book something soon. 

I still have 1 more Ironman left this year, and I cannot wait.  Safe Training everyone. I hope to meet up with some of you in July.

Nicole

Edited by FredsRider 2012-09-21 7:55 PM

2012-09-22 4:54 AM
in reply to: #4414341

Regular
gatjr33 - 2012-09-17 10:33 AM When I get to the run, I always walk hills of any real magnitude, to avoid burning matches.  I am playing with the idea of a run 8, walk 2 type of plan as well.  I will not run a fast 26.2 on my best day, so this type of strategy is appealing because 1) it breaks up the monotony and 2) would seem to be self regulating.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  

A quick sprint tri tomorrow, and 2012 is done and looking forward to 2013! 

Well, I would have to say that I do have some experience with the walk/run as it pertains to the marathon portion of an IM. I have ran several marathons but never did it in a walk/run fashion. However, Lake Placid is a different beast. On a good day, I can click through a few miles before I am reduced to a walk/run strategy. I follow it loosely, by trying to run from aid station to aid station. I walk the station (and sometimes more) and then try to run again. Needless to say, there is more and more walking as the race goes on. I too have walked a few hills in the process to save my energy for the flats. I know the course pretty well and I just accept this as my strategy. If I feel great, I run more. It becomes something that I manage based on how I feel. In any event, I have never ran the entire marathon. It is important to have a strategy going in.

Thank you for the thoughts; the self regulating nature of the strategy appeals to me as well.  I hope that general fitness would get me running through at least the first half of the marathon running more or less continuously, and perhaps further.  It would make sense that if I start with the 8/2 from the start, I can go deeper into the marathon.  A sub five marathon would make me really happy, particularly if I felt strong during it.  Has anyone heard of any studies about how much competitors actually run during a marathon in an IM (or IM vs 26.2 solo would be even better!)?  

Enjoying my week off from workouts, and the annual week of gluttony with food as well!

2012-09-22 6:53 AM
in reply to: #4422910

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
runninirish - 2012-09-21 5:47 PMAnybody use an Endurance Nation training plan? Or have any experience with them? Looking over my options...that is high on my list right now.
I've been looking at EN for the past couple of months (watched the race execution DVD the other day) and chatted with them a bit. Also started doing their preseason training plan this week. I really like their philosophy and plan to go with them for IMLP.
2012-09-22 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4421046

User image

Colchester, VT

I also stayed in Saranac this year. It was a very easy drive to LP, and on race day the shuttle service was great. I'm staying in Saranac again next year, but at a different hotel. The year I stayed at The Hotel Saranac. It was $193/night, but I think it got left back in time. This year I'm staying at Saranac Lake Inn. They have a four night minimum (Hotel Saranac has three). Most of the hotels in LP have 5-7 night rentals, and my research showed that home rentals required a week minimum.  A house would be nice, but I live in Vermont, so not looking to stay for a week.

FELTGood - 2012-09-20 5:18 PM

NEED ADVICE:  I am going to IMLP next year and I am searching for houses for my family but other that looking at LP, what other neighboring towns should I be searching that is still reasonably close to LP?   I heard, and correct me if it's bad info but if you stay closer to saranac lake , that road is still open till you get real close than you should shuttle in?   also I am presuming if you stay anywhere east of LP the roads will be closed so family will be stuck in LP till the night?

any input would be appreciated...i am looking at adirondack rentals by owner and wondering how far away from LP I can go without being too far

if you can share your experience, especially if you rented a house...thanks Scott

Edited by novitt 2012-09-22 4:14 PM
2012-09-23 3:45 PM

Regular
Brighton MA
What half is everyone doing leading up to the IMLP? I have a few in mind in the northeast in June. Want to hear what has worked in the past with you guys, or maybe something i missed
2012-09-23 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Well, I 'was' planning on Hunter Mtn for my tune up half, but since that is no longer an option, I'm thinking Rev3 CT, or patriot half. Which ones did you have on the radar?

2012-09-23 4:22 PM

Regular
Brighton MA
same as you, the Hits would have been perfect. cheap tune up half ironman. I was thinking patriot man because i live in boston, but have heard its flat. and rev3 quassy, its close to my parents back home and can probably stay there without paying for lodging. plus the hills on quassy ive heard are pretty challenging. so im strongly leaning toward rev3 quassy
2012-09-23 8:50 PM

Regular
I am doing Quassy, and really looking forward to it.  Everything I have read about the race fits well with prepping for IMLP.  The hills on this course are of a different nature (seems similar to IMWI) but still a great challenge.  Mooseman used to be an option (I am near Boston), but is no more.  The weather is always the wildcard for early June in the Northeast, so you really can't go wrong or right!
2012-09-24 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4423505

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
novitt - 2012-09-22 5:13 PM

I also stayed in Saranac this year. It was a very easy drive to LP, and on race day the shuttle service was great. I'm staying in Saranac again next year, but at a different hotel. The year I stayed at The Hotel Saranac. It was $193/night, but I think it got left back in time. This year I'm staying at Saranac Lake Inn. They have a four night minimum (Hotel Saranac has three). Most of the hotels in LP have 5-7 night rentals, and my research showed that home rentals required a week minimum.  A house would be nice, but I live in Vermont, so not looking to stay for a week.

Just noticing this. I'm in Burlington. Two weekends ago, I biked down to Charlotte, took the ferry over and rode the flat portion of the course up to the Port Kent ferry back to Burlington. I realized that taking the ferry right from Burlington ... doing one loop of the course ... and then returning would give me about 90 miles, with one full loop of the course. I plan to be doing that a few times once roads are clear in the spring. I'll be sure to keep you posted to see if that's anything you'd be interested in doing.

Had a gorgeous ride up and down Smuggs Notch on the Jeffersonville side on Saturday.  

2012-09-24 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4424087

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

espejo09 - 2012-09-23 4:45 PM What half is everyone doing leading up to the IMLP? I have a few in mind in the northeast in June. Want to hear what has worked in the past with you guys, or maybe something i missed

I won't be doing a half. I'll try to get in at least one more Olympic in the Spring, but they start late up here. I'll have to see how they fit with the training program. But I'll be jumping right from the Oly distance to the full IM.

2012-09-24 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4421168

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
JMoney - 2012-09-20 6:55 PM

FELTGood - 2012-09-20 5:18 PM

NEED ADVICE:  I am going to IMLP next year and I am searching for houses for my family but other that looking at LP, what other neighboring towns should I be searching that is still reasonably close to LP?   I heard, and correct me if it's bad info but if you stay closer to saranac lake , that road is still open till you get real close than you should shuttle in?   also I am presuming if you stay anywhere east of LP the roads will be closed so family will be stuck in LP till the night?

any input would be appreciated...i am looking at adirondack rentals by owner and wondering how far away from LP I can go without being too far

if you can share your experience, especially if you rented a house...thanks Scott

I stayed in Saranac (Right on Flower Lake, it's right there on the corner of I think Rt3 and 86).  If you are not going to stay right in LP then I would stay to the Saranac Lake side of LP.  86 going into LP is open all the way into town.  I had my little ones come back and forth a couple time through out the day.  The only downside of staying outside of LP is that the race day you would end having to park at one of the lots and get shuttled in since Parking is very limited within the LP town.  My MIL did all the back and forth and didn't have any problems.  Race morning it was clear sailing (Though I'm an early person so I was there right before transition opened up).  I had the wife drop me off right in town and she went to one of the lots and got shuttled in.  Saw here about 30 mins after she dropped me off.  Enough time for me to get into transition and set up the bike and last minute check for my transition bags.  One other downside that I didn't think of was after the race was over.  My support crew didn't go in to transition to get my bike so I did afterwards along with all the bike and run bags.  It was a little walk to get back to the car since I was pushing the bike along with me.  But if you have family get your gear while you are out on the run, then it shouldn't be a problem.  It takes about 17 minutes to get to LP from Saranac (not that I timed it or anything ).  if you stay on that side you will end up going back and forth a few times so you will get the lay of the land pretty easily.   

This has pretty much been my experience as well for a number of years.

2012-09-24 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

espejo09 - 2012-09-23 4:45 PM What half is everyone doing leading up to the IMLP? I have a few in mind in the northeast in June. Want to hear what has worked in the past with you guys, or maybe something i missed

Doing Zofingen Long Course (Duathlon) May 19; I want to use June for training and not recovering from Quassy/Patriots.

2012-09-25 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4425096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
I did Placid last year and chosse not to do a 1/2 IM before the race. I took the weekend and went up to Placid and trained that was far more benifical then racing a 70.3
2012-09-25 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4424702

User image

Colchester, VT
BernardDogs - 2012-09-24 9:36 AM
novitt - 2012-09-22 5:13 PM

Just noticing this. I'm in Burlington. Two weekends ago, I biked down to Charlotte, took the ferry over and rode the flat portion of the course up to the Port Kent ferry back to Burlington. I realized that taking the ferry right from Burlington ... doing one loop of the course ... and then returning would give me about 90 miles, with one full loop of the course. I plan to be doing that a few times once roads are clear in the spring. I'll be sure to keep you posted to see if that's anything you'd be interested in doing.

Had a gorgeous ride up and down Smuggs Notch on the Jeffersonville side on Saturday.  

I'm in Colchester. Good to know that route right from the Ferry. I'm currently in marathon mode, so no long bikes for me, but I have started Jorge's winter bike training program, which is being done on my trainer.  I would most likely be interested in riding that loop next spring.  Good for you for tackling the Notch. I should, but....

2012-09-25 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4426198

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
novitt - 2012-09-25 9:30 AM 

I'm in Colchester. Good to know that route right from the Ferry. I'm currently in marathon mode, so no long bikes for me, but I have started Jorge's winter bike training program, which is being done on my trainer.  I would most likely be interested in riding that loop next spring.  Good for you for tackling the Notch. I should, but....

Yeah ... I'm primarily run-focused now as well. I'm doing the Philly marathon ... 7 weeks out, I think. But these are the days we wait for on the bike! I can't not ride in VT during the fall. I'll keep you posted if/when we get some ADK rides going in the spring.

Edited by BernardDogs 2012-09-25 2:08 PM
2012-09-25 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
I was planning Mont Tremblant 70.3 as my tune-up half, but I waited too long and missed the boat and it sold out.  Instead, I'm doing Syracuse, which is on the same day.

2012-09-26 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4424098

User image

New user

Clifton Park, NY

What happened to HITS hunter mtn?  I must have missed something?

And to add to the group:
1. Is this your first IM? 2nd, Did IMFL 2011
2. Have you done LP before?  No, but rode the bike course once so far
3. What are your goals for the 2013 race?  Still just want to finish in time
4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc&hellip
I live not too far away and would love to get together for some daytrips/weekends to train on course

2012-09-27 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois

Not planning a 1/2.  Instead I am doing a training weekend up in Wisconsin.  Considering doing a Metric Man...2.4km swim, 112km bike, and a 26km run that weekend.  I think mentally, that would be solid.  Treat it like a workout at IM pace...see if my nutrition works, etc.  Will take a bit of planning...but there are no 1/2 close by at that time.  Read about the metric man workout in Gordo's book "Going Long".

2012-09-28 7:13 AM

Andover

I found this great video for IMLP 2012 on youtube. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83jwhf9NjoA&list=PLF176383E904855EF&index=5&feature=plpp_video

2012-09-28 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4431351

User image

Extreme Veteran
runninirish - 2012-09-27 10:57 PM

Not planning a 1/2.  Instead I am doing a training weekend up in Wisconsin.  Considering doing a Metric Man...2.4km swim, 112km bike, and a 26km run that weekend.  I think mentally, that would be solid.  Treat it like a workout at IM pace...see if my nutrition works, etc.  Will take a bit of planning...but there are no 1/2 close by at that time.  Read about the metric man workout in Gordo's book "Going Long".

That is a heavy WO; you are going to need some extra time to recovery from that WO.

2012-09-28 6:45 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
I'm doing St. George 70.3 in May.  It's a little early, but not a lot of 70.3 options out in CO/UT until July (we'll be lucky if the water in St. George is over 55 that time of year).  Anybody else on here west of the Mississippi?

2012-09-30 8:01 AM

Regular
Brighton MA
That YouTube video is unreal. I've watched 3-4 times already. They have a couple good ones. IMCDA , IMLOU a few others. Full circle has me hooked! After watching IMWI I want that to be my next ironman
2012-10-04 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
runninirish - 2012-09-27 10:57 PM

That is a heavy WO; you are going to need some extra time to recovery from that WO.

You think it would be worse than racing a HIM? I did manage to find a half on June 19...thinking about that as well.
2012-10-05 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4441487

User image

Extreme Veteran

runninirish - 2012-10-04 8:33 PM runninirish - 2012-09-27 10:57 PM

You think it would be worse than racing a HIM? I did manage to find a half on June 19...thinking about that as well.

I find hard to have two good races in a row (for me at least) so I prefer to put my efforts in two or three races that are well apart time wise so I have enough time to recovery/heal from my previous race.

As I said before I think June is a key month for training so I don't like the idea to taper/recovery for a race that is that close to MY A race.

Again, Everybody is dif and if you feel that you need the metric or HIM to get ready for LP then go ahead and do it!

Gluck!

2012-10-05 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Anyone here use the QT2 System Training/Coaching service for IMLP before?  I'm looking for some feedback on how well it worked for you, how much time (weekly average or at peak) was put into your training effort, and what would you do differently if you had to do it again.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59