General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-07-08 2:43 PM
in reply to: rquinn23

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Originally posted by rquinn23

Originally posted by SEADOCHA

I was just debating on the aero helmet if it's over 85. Maybe I will just wear it backwards

So, serious question on the aero helmet, to wear in Louisville, or not to wear? I still have to try mine out on a 5 hour ride in the heat to make sure I am cool enough, but I've heard differing opinions on aero helmets in the hills. What do you all think?

Also, what kind of things happen "the morning after," as far as the event goes? I've heard something about getting finisher gear, picking up special needs bags, etc. I have to get on the road to head home fairly early, but didn't want to miss anything important. I know about the awards and Kona slot roll down, but I don't think I'll be that high up in age group standings to have to worry about that.

Thanks! 7 weeks, people....7 weeks!!!

In 2011 I wore an aero helmet and didn't feel like it made my head any hotter than a road helmet so I plan on wearing an aero helmet again. My new aero helmet is hot pink so now my peeps will be able to spot me on the bike.

I took off the morning after the race and will do the same this year so not sure about the morning after activity. I live in South Georgia so I have to hit the road early

2013-07-08 7:51 PM
in reply to: jillian_o

User image

Regular
Akron
I want a hot pink aero helmet! Mine is only white . MEH! O well!

I'm curious about the swim. I've only done one IM before and that was Lake Placid. Do you think I should expect to be a tad slower because I won't have a wetsuit (assuming everything goes smooth)? I thought my swim went well last year. I am a few seconds faster at 100's this year and I will be wearing a swimskin. I hope I'm not too much slower. Ahhhh, the anxiety builds! PRESSURE! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! I'M CRACKING! HELP! I NEED TO TRAIN! LOL ARGHHHHHH!
2013-07-08 7:58 PM

User image

Regular
Akron

I was just debating on the aero helmet if it's over 85. Maybe I will just wear it backwards

So, serious question on the aero helmet, to wear in Louisville, or not to wear? I still have to try mine out on a 5 hour ride in the heat to make sure I am cool enough, but I've heard differing opinions on aero helmets in the hills. What do you all think?

Also, what kind of things happen "the morning after," as far as the event goes? I've heard something about getting finisher gear, picking up special needs bags, etc. I have to get on the road to head home fairly early, but didn't want to miss anything important. I know about the awards and Kona slot roll down, but I don't think I'll be that high up in age group standings to have to worry about that.

Thanks! 7 weeks, people....7 weeks!!!

At IMLP we woke up at like 4:30 the next morning (ughhh) and got in line for finisher's gear by maybe 5:30. There was about 40-50 people in line. We couldn't wait to get our finisher jacket! Also, when you go to the expo before the race they have a bunch of gear and stickers that just say the race name. AfFTER the race is completed a good portion of the goodies (shirts, stickers, etc) have the race name, plus it says "finisher". Spend wisely! Do you want your stuff to say IMKY or do you want your stuff to say IMKY finisher!!! Damn marketers! I was kinda ticked off they did that. I only knew about the special jacket. After we shopped they opened up a tent and had breakfast for the athletes. I then went and sat on a park bench and watched all the athletes hobbling around. I think I fell asleep on that bench too.lol
2013-07-08 8:39 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

I'm curious about the swim. I've only done one IM before and that was Lake Placid. Do you think I should expect to be a tad slower because I won't have a wetsuit (assuming everything goes smooth)? I thought my swim went well last year. I am a few seconds faster at 100's this year and I will be wearing a swimskin. I hope I'm not too much slower. Ahhhh, the anxiety builds! PRESSURE! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! I'M CRACKING! HELP! I NEED TO TRAIN! LOL ARGHHHHHH!

Just for reference; my swim time at LOU (1:07) was three minutes faster than LP (1:10). Actually, of all 4 of my IM swims, LOU was the fastest AND the only one that was non-wetsuit. LOU is a fast swim. The point to point helps ALOT.

I have to say, though, that I do not like the wet-suit (almost went without it last year at LP).
2013-07-09 8:55 AM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

Regular
Akron
Originally posted by marathongirl11

Just for reference; my swim time at LOU (1:07) was three minutes faster than LP (1:10). Actually, of all 4 of my IM swims, LOU was the fastest AND the only one that was non-wetsuit. LOU is a fast swim. The point to point helps ALOT.

I have to say, though, that I do not like the wet-suit (almost went without it last year at LP).

That makes me happy to hear that! I think I've gotten a lot quicker as well, so that should help . Lol. We will see what happens at musselman this wknd. I'm focusing on the swim for this race
2013-07-09 2:33 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Can anyone point me to any good references on how to prepare my "special needs" bags and such? Will that be in the Athlete Guide? I've never done an IM distance, only 1/2 IM. Thanks in advance.

2013-07-10 8:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally posted by davidamitchell

Can anyone point me to any good references on how to prepare my "special needs" bags and such? Will that be in the Athlete Guide? I've never done an IM distance, only 1/2 IM. Thanks in advance.

Anything you would like to have 64 miles into the bike to get you through the rest of the ride, everyone is different in terms of what they like to put in there. Me personally, I put an extra tube and CO2, chamois cream, sunscreen, and an small can of Starbucks Espresso shot. Those are the things I personally would like to have halfway through a 112 mile bike ride.

Edited by jillian_o 2013-07-10 8:13 AM
2013-07-10 1:13 PM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

Chicago, IL
Originally posted by marathongirl11

LOL ~ that would be a sight!!

Anybody here doing Racine in a few weeks?

Yup. Racine will be my 2nd HIM, and Louisville will be my 1st IM.
Up until about a week ago, I was focused purely on Louisville. This week I've found myself getting a few butterflies for Racine.
I was a little worried about it being only 5 weeks prior to the full-IM, and I haven't really scheduled a taper. I've got a 6hr bike on Saturday, then a 3hr run on Sunday. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me too bad on the 21st.
2013-07-11 8:02 AM
in reply to: davidamitchell

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

For my bike special needs, I am planning on putting in a spare tube and CO2, some extra nutrition, and then some salt a vinegar chips and a coke. Chips and a coke are my absolute favorite thing to have on a long bike ride.

I am still trying to figure out what to put in my run special needs.
2013-07-11 11:30 AM

User image

Regular
Akron

Last year I put band aids and something to eat in case I needed something different than what was on the course. My friend had extra shoes that he switched into. Last year they said you might not get the bag back at Placid. I wouldn't put too much in them. These are "just in case bags" to me.
2013-07-11 11:30 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
do you guys think you swim faster in a wetsuit or with out?

2013-07-11 3:21 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
I think I am faster in my sleeveless because of the buoyancy, but it might just be less effort required. It's pretty close, but I'm less gassed after the wet-suit swim.

Another question, is Powerbar Perform the official sports drink they will be serving on the course at bottle exchanges and on the run? I wanted to try what I might use on the course. I'm probably over thinking/stressing things at this point but I want to be prepared.

Thanks.

2013-07-11 5:28 PM

User image

Regular
Akron

I think I am faster in my sleeveless because of the buoyancy, but it might just be less effort required. It's pretty close, but I'm less gassed after the wet-suit swim.

Another question, is Powerbar Perform the official sports drink they will be serving on the course at bottle exchanges and on the run? I wanted to try what I might use on the course. I'm probably over thinking/stressing things at this point but I want to be prepared.

Thanks.

I think it's still the drink. I would highly recommend trying it out not. Not so great tasting, but it's tolerable. I do the lemon lime flavor. Much better than the mango
2013-07-11 6:01 PM

For those doing muncie I will be camping next to the start at the campground site 126. I have a tan suburban with Illinois firefighter plates if u want to stop and say hi.
2013-07-11 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4409635

User image

The ironman drink is what they handed out when I did ironman Texas last month so I am pretty sure it will be the same. I can't stand the stuff it taste horrible to me. I just make sure I have a packet of efs so I can mix me up a bottle every hour.
2013-07-12 11:37 AM
in reply to: firefighterwes

User image

Chicago, IL
I have some questions about transition/special need bags, for anyone who's familiar:
I've only ever raced in tri's where everything I need for the bike and run is placed under my racked bike.
For Louisville, based off what I've read in the race reports, it sounds like volunteers hand you your bag in T1 and T2.

So my questions are -
1. Do we need to pack a separate bag for T1 and T2 or does everything go in the same bag?
2. Also, are our special needs bags returned to us at the end of the race, or are its contents lost forever?

I'm getting a little nervous. I won't be arriving in Louisville until Friday evening, and I'd like to make sure I'm as prepared as possible by the time I leave Chicago.

2013-07-12 12:18 PM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally posted by pmtaylor621

I have some questions about transition/special need bags, for anyone who's familiar:
I've only ever raced in tri's where everything I need for the bike and run is placed under my racked bike.
For Louisville, based off what I've read in the race reports, it sounds like volunteers hand you your bag in T1 and T2.

So my questions are -
1. Do we need to pack a separate bag for T1 and T2 or does everything go in the same bag?
2. Also, are our special needs bags returned to us at the end of the race, or are its contents lost forever?

I'm getting a little nervous. I won't be arriving in Louisville until Friday evening, and I'd like to make sure I'm as prepared as possible by the time I leave Chicago.

2 separate transition bags, you will have a T1 bag and a T2 bag. The special needs bags will be lost forever so don't put anything valuable in there
2013-07-12 12:59 PM

User image

New user

So my questions are -

Check out the athlete guide on the IMLOU website--it's from last year, but from what I understand most everything (except the run course) will be the same. It has a ton of great specific information, especially for first-timers (I'm one and have read it a couple of times for sanity!). Also, the guide indicates that all athletes must check in by Friday, and I think it closes at 5:00 pm, so if you're going to be later than that you have to contact the race organizers and get special permission. Again, I'm a newbie, but this is what last year's schedule indicated. Bike check in is Saturday.
2013-07-12 1:40 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

Check out the athlete guide on the IMLOU website--it's from last year, but from what I understand most everything (except the run course) will be the same. It has a ton of great specific information, especially for first-timers (I'm one and have read it a couple of times for sanity!). Also, the guide indicates that all athletes must check in by Friday, and I think it closes at 5:00 pm, so if you're going to be later than that you have to contact the race organizers and get special permission. Again, I'm a newbie, but this is what last year's schedule indicated. Bike check in is Saturday.

Oh boy. THANK YOU for pointing out the 5pm check-in. I completely missed it.

I emailed a race coordinator, and was told that you MUST check-in by 5pm on Friday. No extensions.
Man, that could've been terrible.
2013-07-12 2:36 PM

User image

New user

Oh boy. THANK YOU for pointing out the 5pm check-in. I completely missed it.

I emailed a race coordinator, and was told that you MUST check-in by 5pm on Friday. No extensions.
Man, that could've been terrible.

Good! I'm glad I responded--I was worried about making it in time on the drive from Florida, so my wonderful husband offered to drive my bike up on his own while I (and my mom) fly up on Friday, arriving at noon. Even that makes me nervous--I told my mom that as soon as we check into the hotel we are heading straight to athlete check-in!
2013-07-17 8:45 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
so who has been getting some training in this dang gone humidity/ heat??? bring it on!

2013-07-18 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

so who has been getting some training in this dang gone humidity/ heat??? bring it on!

Training in Philadelphia here. It sucks.
2013-07-18 7:40 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas

The South Georgia heat is extreme!
2013-07-18 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

I had two hours on the bike followed by a 2.5 hour run yesterday. It was the first real hot and humid day in Atlanta. I was suffering the last 30 minutes!

FYI, the Athlete Guide is out on the Ironman site...Getting close now!
2013-07-18 9:20 AM
in reply to: scottyr7

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Been taking advantage of it as best I can down the Jersey shore! Long ride/run coming this weekend. Good times!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15