General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-07-18 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4801918

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
I been enjoying the training in the heat and humidity here in Dallas. Don't want it to get me like it did @ ironman Texas.

2013-07-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: firefighterwes

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, Tx
Originally posted by firefighterwes

I been enjoying the training in the heat and humidity here in Dallas. Don't want it to get me like it did @ ironman Texas.

Dude that day was brutal compared to the weather during training.
2013-07-19 7:30 AM
in reply to: JAngell

User image

Question for all of you. Was reading the athlete guide and (if I read it correctly) it stated that only the pro's can have their bike shoes clipped in during the transition in/out..........is this accurate/enforced?

Little over 5 weeks, getting excited!

Have a great day!
2013-07-19 8:57 PM
in reply to: champcommish

User image

Louisville, KY
Originally posted by champcommish

Question for all of you. Was reading the athlete guide and (if I read it correctly) it stated that only the pro's can have their bike shoes clipped in during the transition in/out..........is this accurate/enforced?

Little over 5 weeks, getting excited!

That's right. Age group athletes are not allowed to clip shoes in before the race and it's strictly enforced. Bike shoes must be packed in your T1 bag.

Just talking to the wife about how close the race is. Few more good, solid weeks of training then back off for the race. It will be here before we know it! I'm pumped!

Happy training!

Kevin
2013-07-20 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4807665

User image

Yea had a good 85 mile ride yesterday and 16 mile run today. I only have 2 more weeks till taper. I can't wait til race day so I can get my days back from solid training.
2013-07-20 6:45 PM
in reply to: firefighterwes

User image

Veteran
Getting ready to put my gear together to ship with bike, which has to be dropped with Tri Bike Transport next weekend. Is there even the very smallest possibility the race will be wetsuit optional? I know it will be warm, but I did Texas last year and wore my sleeveless. I am not one to overheat, and although I am more than ready to do the distance without, if it is possibility I might consider using it. Should I go ahead and pack it, or use the space for something else>

2013-07-20 8:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
So....is it ok to bag the mandatory athlete meeting since I'll be with my 3yr old son and family will be arriving on Saturday? Just worried he won't make it through. Will someone care to post a recap of the meeting on Friday night?

Edited by japewang 2013-07-20 8:55 PM
2013-07-20 10:37 PM
in reply to: #4409635

User image

I went to the one in Texas and I don't think it was worth my time. No new info and they don't check to see if you really attended so I'm sure skipping would be no problem. I am sure someone could post if anything import is said that's not on the race website. Just my take on it.
2013-07-22 2:13 AM
in reply to: weissjaz

User image

Originally posted by weissjaz

Getting ready to put my gear together to ship with bike, which has to be dropped with Tri Bike Transport next weekend. Is there even the very smallest possibility the race will be wetsuit optional? I know it will be warm, but I did Texas last year and wore my sleeveless. I am not one to overheat, and although I am more than ready to do the distance without, if it is possibility I might consider using it. Should I go ahead and pack it, or use the space for something else>

I really don't want to be responsible for you leaving your wetsuit at home but Ironman Louisville has never been wetsuit legal. I live here, rode the bike course today and it was 90 degrees when I started running. I really don't expect it to be wetsuit legal.
2013-07-22 11:04 AM
in reply to: Calvin386

User image

Regular
Akron
Had a crappy wknd of training after my long run on Friday so I'm changing up my plan a tad. How many hours will you guys top out at and how long is your taper?
2013-07-22 12:22 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

New user
Originally posted by SEADOCHA

Had a crappy wknd of training after my long run on Friday so I'm changing up my plan a tad. How many hours will you guys top out at and how long is your taper?

I also had a crappy week / weekend of training (basically I skipped a bunch of sessions and had a terrible long run)...but I'm just going to keep on with my training plan. I don't think the missed sessions will cause me to have a problem picking up where I left off. My plan (I'm following Fink's Be Iron Fit competitive 30 week plan) has peak training at 20 hours--that will include a 6 hour ride/1 hour run brick, and a 3 hour long run. Then it's 3 weeks of taper, though the first week is still at 14 hours of training. Are you changing your plan to try to get more in or less? From everything I've read and advice I've received (this is my first IM), we should not try to "catch up" or make up missed sessions, just trust the plan.

Good luck! 5 weeks!!!

2013-07-22 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4809775

User image

I will top out at about 16 hours 4 weeks out from the race.
2013-07-22 6:27 PM
in reply to: rquinn23

User image

Regular
Akron
Originally posted by rquinn23

Originally posted by SEADOCHA

I also had a crappy week / weekend of training (basically I skipped a bunch of sessions and had a terrible long run)...but I'm just going to keep on with my training plan. I don't think the missed sessions will cause me to have a problem picking up where I left off. My plan (I'm following Fink's Be Iron Fit competitive 30 week plan) has peak training at 20 hours--that will include a 6 hour ride/1 hour run brick, and a 3 hour long run. Then it's 3 weeks of taper, though the first week is still at 14 hours of training. Are you changing your plan to try to get more in or less? From everything I've read and advice I've received (this is my first IM), we should not try to "catch up" or make up missed sessions, just trust the plan.

Good luck! 5 weeks!!!

I don't really have a plan to be honest. I've just been increasing my runs by 10% every week and increase my cycling. I cut back on all 3 sports every 4th week or if I need more rest. I had a certain number of long rides I wanted to hit, but think I will still be okay.
2013-07-23 9:06 AM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
On the Facebook group for this race it seems a number of people plan on carrying their phone on them for the bike and run in order for family and friends to be able to track them in real time. Since its clear that the race rules prohibit phones I will not be doing this. Just not worth the risk of a DQ to me after all I have invested in the race. Opinions?
2013-07-23 11:06 AM
in reply to: jillian_o

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jillian_o On the Facebook group for this race it seems a number of people plan on carrying their phone on them for the bike and run in order for family and friends to be able to track them in real time. Since its clear that the race rules prohibit phones I will not be doing this. Just not worth the risk of a DQ to me after all I have invested in the race. Opinions?

Sorry to butt in (but I am an IMLOU past participant!) but my phone would not hold a charge with GPS tracking for more than 4-5 hours. I've tried it before with Map My run. Drains the battery like crazy - I think 4 hours of riding drained it from 100% to less than 30%. Maybe those people have superman batteries?

I would never risk it. I'm kind of a rule stickler and am mildly annoyed that people in a race I'm not even doing are talking about this

2013-07-23 11:13 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by jillian_o On the Facebook group for this race it seems a number of people plan on carrying their phone on them for the bike and run in order for family and friends to be able to track them in real time. Since its clear that the race rules prohibit phones I will not be doing this. Just not worth the risk of a DQ to me after all I have invested in the race. Opinions?

Sorry to butt in (but I am an IMLOU past participant!) but my phone would not hold a charge with GPS tracking for more than 4-5 hours. I've tried it before with Map My run. Drains the battery like crazy - I think 4 hours of riding drained it from 100% to less than 30%. Maybe those people have superman batteries?

I would never risk it. I'm kind of a rule stickler and am mildly annoyed that people in a race I'm not even doing are talking about this

You are a finisher!!! Go ahead and butt in all you want!

I am a rule stickler as well, any convenience is not worth being DQed to me, I have invested too much time and money into this adventure to be DQed.

Side note, even if I tried to do this, my Samsung Galaxy S3 would die either on the bike or in the beginning of the run

2013-07-23 11:15 AM

Originally posted by lisac957

I'm sure other phones have similar apps, but the iphone can be tracked via "Find my iPhone" without anything running in the background. I think as long as the phone is turned on, it can be tracked. That said, mine will be sitting in my hotel room on race day.
2013-07-23 11:56 AM
in reply to: jkintn

User image

Veteran
Hola Louiville Peeps!

Only a few more weeks! 2 more hard bricks for me (with a week in between) and then a 2 week taper will lead me to the starting line. I have a 6 hr ride this Saturday followed by a 1.5 hr run. Then a final long brick in 3 weeks with a 3.5 hr bike and a 3 hr run will end my training and start the taper.

Amazingly the biggest training issue where I am (upstate SC) is getting in the heat and humidity training I need. Usually SC has no problems giving us all the heat and humidity we can stand but my long brick 2 weeks ago was in spitting rain and 70 degree temps. Awesome weather for a long brick but probably not what we will see in KY. Oh well. I suppose if those are the only problems I encounter in training I will be doing quite well.

Happy final push to everyone out there. Be safe and have fun!!
2013-07-23 12:34 PM
in reply to: jkintn

User image

New user
I agree that it's not worth the DQ risk. I will gladly pay the $30 to rent the GPS tracker (myathletelive, I think?) so my family can follow me on course. I don't need any extra distractions or worries--I am already worried enough about drafting penalties, as it seems like the course has a tendency to get crowded in a few places. Those who have done this before, what are your thoughts on that (accidental drafting, not intentional).
2013-07-23 12:46 PM
in reply to: rquinn23

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Originally posted by rquinn23

I agree that it's not worth the DQ risk. I will gladly pay the $30 to rent the GPS tracker (myathletelive, I think?) so my family can follow me on course. I don't need any extra distractions or worries--I am already worried enough about drafting penalties, as it seems like the course has a tendency to get crowded in a few places. Those who have done this before, what are your thoughts on that (accidental drafting, not intentional).

I wouldn't worry about accidental drafting. Last year, early on the bike (still on River Rd) I was actually given a warning. They could have easily just given me the penalty, but I believe they take course conditions into account.
2013-07-24 3:11 AM
in reply to: #4810828

User image

See you guys there. I have been doing my rides on the bike course the last 3 weeks. I will ride it one more time 3 weeks out. With a 1 hour run to follow. It's getting close!

2013-07-24 12:03 PM

User image

New user

Naperville, Illinois

....just joining....so reading some of the prior posts.  I know from tracking friends in their IM's that there are some great free aps for smart phones to track the athletes, so there really isn't a need  for the athletes to carry anything other than their race chip.  Both "IronTrac" and "IronMobile" work really well and provide updates throughout the day (they're not perfect, but most of the time they provide timely info). 

Separate issue....this is my second Full Iron Distance race and will be my first event where I don't have family and friends along for support.....so this could be a very long day for me (because having your own cheering section for the whole race is pretty awesome - I know, I'm spoiled).  I'm not very fast on the bike, so tend to be one of the last ones in.......will there be spectators still out on the bike course late in the day?  [anyone have spectators coming that want to adopt me for the day??? lol]

Also, I plan to be as close to the front for the swim (so I can be sure to make the swim/bike cutoff).

2013-07-24 12:09 PM
in reply to: quinnpenny

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by quinnpenny

....just joining....so reading some of the prior posts.  I know from tracking friends in their IM's that there are some great free aps for smart phones to track the athletes, so there really isn't a need  for the athletes to carry anything other than their race chip.  Both "IronTrac" and "IronMobile" work really well and provide updates throughout the day (they're not perfect, but most of the time they provide timely info). 

Separate issue....this is my second Full Iron Distance race and will be my first event where I don't have family and friends along for support.....so this could be a very long day for me (because having your own cheering section for the whole race is pretty awesome - I know, I'm spoiled).  I'm not very fast on the bike, so tend to be one of the last ones in.......will there be spectators still out on the bike course late in the day?  [anyone have spectators coming that want to adopt me for the day??? lol]

Also, I plan to be as close to the front for the swim (so I can be sure to make the swim/bike cutoff).

The timing chip/Ironman tracker (which all other apps pull from unless you rent a GPS) is notorious for not providing information accurately. I think every race I've tried to track someone the whole system shuts down for hours at at time, or the splits are clearly wonky (showing AGers riding 40mph for a split or something), or simply not updating ANYONE's information for hours and hours at a time - even the next day they are not updated and have shown finishers still out on the bike course, grrr. It's consistently unreliable in my experience. Just FYI!

I am slower on the bike and at this race in 2011 the crowds were pretty thin on the 2nd loop. Still spectators but not nearly as many. So soak it all in on the first loop and use it to propel you forward on the 2nd

2013-07-25 1:59 AM

User image

Is anyone planning to go out and scout the bike course as a tune-up ride in the days leading up to the race? I'll be arriving in Louisville on the Tuesday before the race, picking up my bike at FedEx and assembling it the following day, then hoping to get out and scout some of the course on Thursday or Friday.

If anything I just want to ensure my bike is in good mechanical order, but I know for sure I can get a better feel for the course on two wheels instead of behind the wheel of a rental car.
2013-07-25 2:01 AM

User image

Is anyone planning to go out and scout the bike course as a tune-up ride in the days leading up to the race? I'll be arriving in Louisville on the Tuesday before the race, picking up my bike at FedEx and assembling it the following day, then hoping to get out and scout some of the course on Thursday or Friday.

If anything I just want to ensure my bike is in good mechanical order, but I know for sure I can get a better feel for the course on two wheels instead of behind the wheel of a rental car.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15