BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-06-08 3:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Was planning on doing a bike today after I had a small relapse on my inflammatory condition Thursday morning.

Just had a major thunderstorm come through here....let's see if it clears up and how humid it is afterwards. Unfortunately a thunderstorm doesn't cool the air around here, usually just makes it steamier. Will take it easy today if I go out to see how body reacts.

Edited by johnthecat 2013-06-08 5:28 PM

2013-06-08 5:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by johnthecat

Was planning on doing a bike today after I had a small relapse on my inflammatory condition Thursday morning.

Just had a major thunderstorm come through here....let's see if it clears up and how humid it is afterwards. Unfortunately a thunderstorm doesn't cool the air around it, usually just makes it steamier. Will take it easy today if I go out to see how body reacts.

I plan to ride today too , but im filled with excuses not to I just feel lazy. I have been staring at the dark clouds like you said, for the past two hours would have been done by now. i'll try again tomorrow.

Edited by strykergt 2013-06-08 5:05 PM
2013-06-08 6:32 PM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Hi I am new to triathlons and beginnertri forums so I decided to look for some help.

NAME: Aaron

STORY: I was in track throughout all of high school and mainly participated in the 800 and mile. After graduating I joined the Army and now I am currently attending Iowa State University. Without track or army my life felt a void, so a friend told me about the ISU triathlon team. I hesitantly joined due to my lack of swimming skills. I have participated in local 5k, 10k, and half-marathon races but have never done a triathlon. I enjoy the workouts but I still do them by myself in the wee hours of the morning before work/class. This has left me feeling pretty isolated and unsure about what I am doing in my training.

FAMILY STATUS: 21, single, and living by myself with my pet fish Bruce.

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing a summer training schedule given to me by the team coach via trainingpeaks but the coach does not do well to work with all of the individuals of the team so I am looking for some guidance. Roughly 10-12 hours a week.

WEIGHTLOSS: It wouldn't hurt me to gain a few pounds but my clean eating keeps me at optimal race weight.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Dam to Dam 20k, and I am signed up for Rockford Tri, Bluff Creek Tri, and Hy-Vee Tri. (all olympic distance)

GOALS: PR, not look like a fool in my first oly tri, perhaps do a 70.3 or 140.6?
2013-06-09 12:29 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by wenceslasz Question: I'm having trouble running after I get off the bike. So, how can I get stronger off the bike? I've considered riding easier but I'm not very fast on the bike either so I'm not sure how to balance the two so I don't die on the run in my Olympic.
Partially to bump, as I'm no expert, so hopefully others will chime in.  But my $.02:

I think the easy answer is more bricks, but in my opinion bricks don't actually make you stronger off the bike, they just get you kind of used to the feeling.  For me no matter how many bricks I do the strange feeling in my legs doesn't really go away any quicker, I just get used to dealing with it.  So if your problem is that you can't run at all when you get off the bike, because your legs feel too weird and you mentally don't feel like you can run, then maybe bricks are the answer.

But it sounds more to me like you're saying your legs are too tired when you finish the bike.  In that case I think the answer is harder bike and run sets (just don't injure yourself).  Sprint intervals or hill sets in your run training and tt intervals or hills in your bike training.  And then, as you note, don't kill yourself on the bike.  But the way to get stronger on the bike and leave the bike feeling less dead is to add in more strength, and the same goes for the run.

2013-06-09 4:32 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by wenceslasz Question: I'm having trouble running after I get off the bike. So, how can I get stronger off the bike? I've considered riding easier but I'm not very fast on the bike either so I'm not sure how to balance the two so I don't die on the run in my Olympic.
Partially to bump, as I'm no expert, so hopefully others will chime in.  But my $.02:

I think the easy answer is more bricks, but in my opinion bricks don't actually make you stronger off the bike, they just get you kind of used to the feeling.  For me no matter how many bricks I do the strange feeling in my legs doesn't really go away any quicker, I just get used to dealing with it.  So if your problem is that you can't run at all when you get off the bike, because your legs feel too weird and you mentally don't feel like you can run, then maybe bricks are the answer.

But it sounds more to me like you're saying your legs are too tired when you finish the bike.  In that case I think the answer is harder bike and run sets (just don't injure yourself).  Sprint intervals or hill sets in your run training and tt intervals or hills in your bike training.  And then, as you note, don't kill yourself on the bike.  But the way to get stronger on the bike and leave the bike feeling less dead is to add in more strength, and the same goes for the run.

SO you want to run faster in triathlon? get stronger on the bike. So X 2 with Joe on this.

You have to ride a controlled race. It's not easy to do. up your bike fitness, then take "something off" compares to what you have been doing during the race, end up with same bike splits that you have been achieving, but then be able to run cause you did not burn out your legs
2013-06-10 6:24 AM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Originally posted by oriolepwr

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

SO you want to run faster in triathlon? get stronger on the bike. So X 2 with Joe on this.

You have to ride a controlled race. It's not easy to do. up your bike fitness, then take "something off" compares to what you have been doing during the race, end up with same bike splits that you have been achieving, but then be able to run cause you did not burn out your legs

Yup, I'm going to have to x3 on the getting stronger on the bike and bricks as well. The stronger you get on the bike, the less of a drain it will put on your run performance. As for bricks I like to do one after every bike workout, even if it is just a quarter mile. It's good to get a feel of how to run on tired legs. In the past few weeks I've been slacking a bit with this and it showed in my race yesterday..

2013-06-10 8:12 PM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Expert
Hammond
Omg- I found ya'll. It has taken me forever to learn the new site and find you guys. Well I haven't been able to search daily or anything but I was totally thrown when I finally did check in and it was the new site, new groups etc.

I've finally come to accept that for now I will mostly be lurker status, but I hope I'm still welcome. I really do want to keep up with you guys and stay in touch because I'm determined to get back into training and tri's but for now it's just not the most realistic.

I will give a quick version of my story for all the new friends I haven't met yet in the group.

My name is Shelly. I am married to my dh for the last 23 years and we have 3 earth angels (not)- Marissa-21, Brayden- 20, and Claire- 10, and one heavenly angel Aubrey Anne- bornstill 2001. I am a three time cancer survivor and basically took my health for granted for 40 years despite that. I finally realized that I needed to shape up or I just might end up shipping out ( with my history ) and so I started on a path to become more healthy. I started eating better and walking with my dh who was very supportive of my efforts. This in turn lead to a 50 pound weight loss and a desire to do a triathlon. I joined here, started training and did my first tri in May 2011. It was awesome. I've done a few more since and still love it. Unfortunately, I also have some pretty nice heart valve issues from my cancer treatments and things on that front are worsening. I also just have typical life issues with having a ten year old and a 20 year old boy (lots of grey hair there) and training has just had to take a back seat for now. I still run ( jog) a few times weekly, and either ride my bike or spin a few times weekly. I just haven't been able to fit in the swim training and it's my toughest portion so tri's are out in the short term. I am not done with them by a long shot. I have loved being with these guys since the group opened and I want to stay in touch.

Really will do my best to be more active, but definitely going to lurk frequently if that is ok.

Shelly

P.S. For any of the originals---I FOUND CUCUMBER GATORADE!!! OMG- Dave if you are around- I love it! We bought three cases and had to go to four grocery stores to get that much. My dh loves it also so we wanted to stock up before we headed home. We were on vacation in Houston.

2013-06-10 8:25 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

@Ransick

I remember you ask me how i can fix my Aerobottle problems:
1.)leaking and splashing from the refill openings and straws.
2.)Clanking sound it makes.
3.)Moving of the bracket out of position.

Here's a link of what i did.

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/nightspawn/library/Aerodrink?sort=2...

If you have any questions let me know.

Cheers

Carl

Thanks! Is it working?
2013-06-10 8:28 PM
in reply to: TomsTri-ing

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by TomsTri-ing

Hi ALL,

Sorry I have been AWOL since early May. It started well, then went totally down hill, with out a bike.

Hamstring acted up on a run in Pittsburgh on May 6th. So stared to take a week off so I didn't make it worse.
Then, sometime over Mother's day weekend my brother passed away. I didn't find out until that Tuesday. So, I lost that week.
At the same time my girlfriend and I broke up because of all the stress. We are currently trying to see if we can make it work, she takes all my tri pictures.
Hence, the depression and stress of the new job was taking its toll.

Today, I finally ran 2 miles, 1 month later. 7 weeks to my next Tri.

Dave (Bro) I'm so sorry to hear about your job, but we talked about it a while back. I wish the best in finding one soon. I also hope you saved the Cucumber Gatorade from the failing refrig.

So, here I am again, back in the saddle.

Great to see new faces and Toad is back.

Tom

Rough month man. Glad you are back at it though. Hang in there.
2013-06-10 8:31 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Originally posted by Sammeg

Originally posted by Sammeg

My name is Ted(although my kids call me Toad), I’m 45, married for 19 years and have twin 11 year old girls. Basically I’m hitting the reset button and starting my training over. My last race was an Oly in September of 2011….well that’s not completely true, I did a 5k Zombie mud run 2 weeks ago….does that count?

Last year I was training(inconsistently of course) for the Marine Corps Marathon when I gave in to Morton’s Neuroma and deferred my entry to 2013. Shortly after that, Hurricane Sandy started tracking up the east coast…of course I mocked the strength of any storm named Sandy and made multiple “Grease” references. I believe, purely out of spite for my insolence, the storm took direct aim at lower Manhattan and devastated my company’s DataCenter. Soooooooooo, being as my role is running Distributed Systems operations, I spent the next 8 months rebuilding our Data Center and Disaster Recovery environment requiring relocating myself(not my family) to NJ during this period.

I’m up 20 lbs since October and have done essentially no training. I have a couple of sprints, and a tough mudder on the calendar. I’m also beginning Hal Higdon’s Novice Marathon plan in 3 weeks for MCM at the end of October. Realistically, my goal is consistency, recovering my fitness, dropping from mid 190’s to mid 170’s and staying healthy.

BTW, I see my old friend Grandpa Dave is in this group who shares my hate of the Yankees and Love of Vizslas.

TED!!!! happy to see you here! :-)

OMG you and me both need to get on TRACK, I have weight to lose and a marathon to gear up for as well. You have been through ALOT! MCM you WILL DO THIS!!!!

Ok Grandpa Dave needs to go to bed now. you kids try and not make too much noise now. ;-)

Major suckage on the job Dave but you have an amazing support system and a great perspective on things, and hey you could always start cooking again Mr. White.

MCM is a carrot dangling in front of me but not sure how realistic based on my current fitness. We'll see.

Oh YES right... I feel the need to cook... where the Hell is Jesse?

Thanks Ted :-)

Hey MCM you can do it. Training starts now. you know? same with me. Let's be diligent and make sure to log every run. Let's both accomplish the weight loss and the Marathons together .

Actually my first thought on the job front is becoming a "Bounty Hunter" and I don't mean looking for REALLY strong paper towels.

SO first I need a cool name, then a theme song.

It's possible I had too much to drink, while creating this plan. dunno

Dog always works for a bounty hunter name :-). You might need some ink though.
2013-06-10 8:38 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by wenceslasz

I had a phenomenal swim today. I went out for my 6th swim and my swim buddy wanted to swim the full length of the lake so we started out at an easy pace to warm up and after we reached the far shore we turned around and decided to swim at our own pace back to our start.

It was actually quite neat swimming across the middle of the lake well away from the shore. The water was calm and a really nice temp (about 64F). I got to the far shore about two minutes ahead of my buddy. He timed the distance on the return trip and we swam .785mi/1.26km in 26:30 which means I was under 25 minutes for a sub 2:00/100m - quite exciting for me.

In total we swam 1.57miles/2.53km in under an hour.

Question: I'm having trouble running after I get off the bike. So, how can I get stronger off the bike? I've considered riding easier but I'm not very fast on the bike either so I'm not sure how to balance the two so I don't die on the run in my Olympic.

Awesome swim! To run better off the bike requires more bike fitness. It also helps to throw a mile or two run in after as many rides as you can. Pay attention to your pace and feel. I remember feeling like my legs were gumby like and I couldn't catch my breathe yet I was running fast (for me) due to the high cadence I maintained off the bike.

2013-06-10 8:48 PM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles

Hi I am new to triathlons and beginnertri forums so I decided to look for some help.

NAME: Aaron

STORY: I was in track throughout all of high school and mainly participated in the 800 and mile. After graduating I joined the Army and now I am currently attending Iowa State University. Without track or army my life felt a void, so a friend told me about the ISU triathlon team. I hesitantly joined due to my lack of swimming skills. I have participated in local 5k, 10k, and half-marathon races but have never done a triathlon. I enjoy the workouts but I still do them by myself in the wee hours of the morning before work/class. This has left me feeling pretty isolated and unsure about what I am doing in my training.

FAMILY STATUS: 21, single, and living by myself with my pet fish Bruce.

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing a summer training schedule given to me by the team coach via trainingpeaks but the coach does not do well to work with all of the individuals of the team so I am looking for some guidance. Roughly 10-12 hours a week.

WEIGHTLOSS: It wouldn't hurt me to gain a few pounds but my clean eating keeps me at optimal race weight.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Dam to Dam 20k, and I am signed up for Rockford Tri, Bluff Creek Tri, and Hy-Vee Tri. (all olympic distance)

GOALS: PR, not look like a fool in my first oly tri, perhaps do a 70.3 or 140.6?

Welcome Aaron! I graduated from Iowa State way back in 1988 :-). Didn't get into triathlons until I was in my forties so you have a great head start. Don't be shy about asking questions,
2013-06-10 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond

Well guys/gals

Yesterday I completed 102 mile bike ride virtually only with "spinning" classes and much experience as prep. (Chain-dropper barely made it through, was making a weird noise around mile 85-102 not sure what it is yet)

Today I became unemployed,
My 12 year old daughter Announced a female "change of life" OMG BTW
My 11 year old daughter produced a 20 page report on possible job opportunities and "down sized" homes waiting for me when I got home
My wife tells me how happy she is for me. Happy?? she is incredibly supportive.

I've had a ton of touching messages/phone calls of support/ I am a bit overwhelmed. today.

Oh and my fridge broke. and needs to be replaced.

Now I have always used training as a way of dealing (medicating?) with stress, and such. Soooo

I already have 7+ hours in this month. I am motivated.. and well more time to do it.

So if you are going to beat my training time, you are really, REALLY going to have to want it badly.

I may even sign up for a 70.3 afterall.

Dave
Sorry to hear about your job. The only thing I can add is that dh has been laid off three times in our marriage and each time ended up leading to better employment opportunites with the final so far taking him to his current job which has been a complete Godsend. One of the layoffs took place during my first pregnancy and another was in the middle of my breast cancer diagnosis and treatment ( along with me being out of work) Stressful doesn't even come close to describing it. But like I said, each time led him in better directions in the long run. The short run wasn't always the best but God always provided and took care of us. It really does all work out.

Don't know if you're religious or Catholic and if not please don't take offense as I only mean to help. St. Cajetan is the patron saint for employment and his novena is very powerful.

Good luck and sounds like you have a great support system which really is what matters,

Shelly
2013-06-10 8:58 PM
in reply to: fitmomma2010

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by fitmomma2010

Omg- I found ya'll. It has taken me forever to learn the new site and find you guys. Well I haven't been able to search daily or anything but I was totally thrown when I finally did check in and it was the new site, new groups etc.

I've finally come to accept that for now I will mostly be lurker status, but I hope I'm still welcome. I really do want to keep up with you guys and stay in touch because I'm determined to get back into training and tri's but for now it's just not the most realistic.

I will give a quick version of my story for all the new friends I haven't met yet in the group.

My name is Shelly. I am married to my dh for the last 23 years and we have 3 earth angels (not)- Marissa-21, Brayden- 20, and Claire- 10, and one heavenly angel Aubrey Anne- bornstill 2001. I am a three time cancer survivor and basically took my health for granted for 40 years despite that. I finally realized that I needed to shape up or I just might end up shipping out ( with my history ) and so I started on a path to become more healthy. I started eating better and walking with my dh who was very supportive of my efforts. This in turn lead to a 50 pound weight loss and a desire to do a triathlon. I joined here, started training and did my first tri in May 2011. It was awesome. I've done a few more since and still love it. Unfortunately, I also have some pretty nice heart valve issues from my cancer treatments and things on that front are worsening. I also just have typical life issues with having a ten year old and a 20 year old boy (lots of grey hair there) and training has just had to take a back seat for now. I still run ( jog) a few times weekly, and either ride my bike or spin a few times weekly. I just haven't been able to fit in the swim training and it's my toughest portion so tri's are out in the short term. I am not done with them by a long shot. I have loved being with these guys since the group opened and I want to stay in touch.

Really will do my best to be more active, but definitely going to lurk frequently if that is ok.

Shelly

P.S. For any of the originals---I FOUND CUCUMBER GATORADE!!! OMG- Dave if you are around- I love it! We bought three cases and had to go to four grocery stores to get that much. My dh loves it also so we wanted to stock up before we headed home. We were on vacation in Houston.

Welcome back Shelly!
2013-06-10 10:35 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Thanks for your advice Joe, Dave, Waffles and Mike. I was beginning to think that bricks were a part of the solution but your answers about improving my bike fitness to run better certainly makes good sense. I've been trying to run more consistently but I'll try doing bricks 3X/week from now on.

On Friday or Saturday I heard rumours about my Olympic this weekend and today I got confirmation that they've cancelled the race. I was all psyched to do it and looking forward to it. So I've got that "let down" feeling.

I'm looking at another Olympic event in Vancouver this September to replace the cancelled Oly. It involves a saltwater swim which should be interesting.

2013-06-12 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Here are the June stats as of this morning for those that I have access to:

SwimBikeRunTotal Time 
Wenceslasz8121.71 159.419.56 16:16:50Holy smokes man, you're killing it
oriolepwr -- 142.70 25.30 13:26:13 
strykergt -- 111.76 35.01 13:16:03 
Fresno_Joe 3850 79.31 40.80 12:35:32 
iLOVEwaffles 8700 137.90 16.00 11:12:06Great race this last weekend, blazing fast!  race report?
knighton 6273.6 82.26 25.47 11:04:11 
SuperClydesdale -- 136.10 12.60 10:51:22 
mbehr1983605040.237.05 7:13:05 
cayrip -- 20.77 30.90 6:40:31 
kent2233 -- -- -- 5:40:00IMLP in just over a month!  How do you feel?
cadnams -- 62.26 4.97 4:48:00 
DaDooRunRun -- 35.5 18.58 4:44:14 
lesandtj 1093 82.74 3.08 4:36:52Couple bike workouts you didn't log time for or you'd be higher up
johnthecat -- 21.09 5.91 2:27:19 
Toms Tri-ing -- 20.30 2.10 2:02:48 
ransick -- -- 9.00 1:32:43 
Sarah73 -- -- 7.50 1:08:30 
Ybeal ------ --  
TRIal_of_miles-------- 

Good start to the month, all.  I need to get out there and train more but I'm either getting sick and/or just mentally exhausted.  All I want to do is sit on the couch and eat ice cream, no motivation to work out.  Still trying to go through the mtions so I don't fall too far behind.  But my wife and daughter are both sick so I'm probably starting to myself.  Keeping fingers crossed.  I really need to get out on the bike more but it is so hard to fit it in between work, family, and it being 110 degrees here after lunch.  No excuses, got to get out there more.

Also, I'm starting to think this group is allergic to swimming...

2013-06-12 12:43 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Thanks for your advice Joe, Dave, Waffles and Mike. I was beginning to think that bricks were a part of the solution but your answers about improving my bike fitness to run better certainly makes good sense. I've been trying to run more consistently but I'll try doing bricks 3X/week from now on.

On Friday or Saturday I heard rumours about my Olympic this weekend and today I got confirmation that they've cancelled the race. I was all psyched to do it and looking forward to it. So I've got that "let down" feeling.

I'm looking at another Olympic event in Vancouver this September to replace the cancelled Oly. It involves a saltwater swim which should be interesting.

Man if your problem is running and cycling , only if we are both in town with you ill ride with you and run with you to trade for your swimming lessons, i guess your faster on water compare to land its just a matter of time, being a terrestrial you will catch up on running ang cycling!!!!

Great Job!!
2013-06-12 2:31 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
So I'm off on anything but walking for the next two weeks per Dr. orders. Need to get my lower back and neck back in order before he wants me to do anything strenuous. This last relapse sure pulled a thing on my back again. Not feeling too bad though considering, but better take it easy as I've had enough of these relapses.
2013-06-12 3:50 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Pearland,Tx

So I'm off on anything but walking for the next two weeks per Dr. orders. Need to get my lower back and neck back in order before he wants me to do anything strenuous. This last relapse sure pulled a thing on my back again. Not feeling too bad though considering, but better take it easy as I've had enough of these relapses.

oh you have issues with your back and neck.... When your ready to get your roadbike or tribike make sure you get a pre-fitting by a pro before you buy a bike. Theres a pro fitter in town who is not connected to any shop and his foremost concern is physical safety of the rider... everyone in town recommend
Tad Hughes. .. i got burned twice by our LBS... Tad Hughes will fit you before and after you get your bike. Hope for your speedy recovery ... like you said take it easy.
2013-06-12 8:05 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Hey Ted, welcome back!

Dave, so sorry to hear about the job....there's no way ill be able to catch up with your training numbers now! Keep your chin up

Tom, you have a lot going on. Sorry to hear about your brother, and about the gf situation. This is when you really need the exercise, good stress relief, but also probably the last thing you want to do, I get that

I really have to get back on track, I've been slacking...bikes in for service for insane squeaking that I can't stand, so I can procrastinate on riding until next week good news, kids are going to sleep away camp next week, woo hoo!

Yvonne
2013-06-12 8:38 PM

User image

Colorado Springs, Colorado
All right so a few people have asked about a race report for my first race of the season, haven't ever written one before so I guess I'll just start at the beggining!

This past Sunday I ran the Grand Rapids Triathlon Olympic distance race. The weather was a little muggy being around 77 F and 80% humidity, the water temp was a cool 71. My race started at 8:15, but with the sprint and half-iron distances going before us the transition area closed at 6:45 effectively ruining my bike warm up. Luckily I brought an extra pair of shoes to warm up with so I was able to get an easy 2 in with some strides and stretching afterwards.

After I got my wetsuit on we were moved over to the lake to start our race. The gun went off and I started off strong, getting a solid lead over most of the others, definitely top 5 after 200m. After that I slacked with my sighting and did it every 15-20 strokes, each time I realized I was veering a little to much to the left. Throughout the first 700 meters I was zig-zagging and losing ground, I decided at the turnaround just to find someone and stick with them no matter what. I recognized my buddy who also has trouble sighting so we swam side by side the rest of the way to shore(I struggle with drafting in open water). I came out in just under 25 minutes, a few shy of my goal, but I wasn't too bummed since it was my first OWS of the year.

The T1 in this particular race is a little bit long, probably 350-400 meters from the water to the bike-out. There were some wetsuit strippers 20m in but I decided to do it myself by my bike because I didn't feel like carrying my wetsuit so far. After I got to my bike I tried taking my wetsuit off standing up but it wasn't cooperating so I had to sit down and yank it off, after that I dried off my feet and put on socks and my cycling shoes(had a bad experience sockless once, wasn't in the mood to attempt it again). After I got my shoes on I grabbed my bike and hobbled over to the bike-out.

The bike leg was definitely the best leg of the race for me. With all my running injuries and bad pool hours at my school I had been biking A LOT over the winter and was excited to see how I improved. Unfortunately I noticed as soon as I hopped on my bike I lost my GUs I taped on the bike so I was stuck with just water for the next hour. The first 2 miles were finding my legs after the swim, kept a decent cadence of 100. After that I dropped down to 90-95 and upped the gear, pushing around 22mph until the turnaround at 12. After the turnaround I realized I had the wind at my back! So I pushed 24-25mph for the next 6-7 miles until it started to get hilly. My legs started to give out on me so I increased my cadence again and held it around 20mph for the rest of the bike. My bike split was a 1:10:30(others have said it was 1-1.5 miles too long), but it destroyed my previous best of 1:12 from the last year regardless.

In T2 I missed my bike rack and ended up running 20-30ft past it and had to carry my bike back. I easily got my shoes off and my running shoes on though so that went well.

The run I didn't really know how I would fare. Two and a half months ago my tibial stress fracture came back so I took two months off of running, and got back into it two weeks before the race(I waited until 2 days before the race to register to see if I had any pain at all, I didn't). Knowing my run endurance wouldn't be all there I decided to take it easy for the first half and pick it up the second half. The heat/humidity at this point was getting pretty bad and I was sweating buckets so I took as much nutrition as I could the first 2 miles to try to make up for the lack of GU on the bike. It took about 3 miles to get into my groove, which went with my plan perfectly... What I didn't plan on was a huge 200m long hill at mile 4! Ten steps in my quads and hammys cramped up so I speedwalked up the hill, afraid if I kept running up it I would cramp up even worse. At the top I knew the rest was flat so I started running again, increasing my cadence and trying to loosen up. Thankfully they had bannanas at the next aid station half a mile up which probably saved my run because after I ate it my legs loosened up a bit. I kept up my pace to the finish throwing down a 42 minutes 10k(which people have said was .25-.5 miles long). With the heat and how I felt on the run i was not expecting to go that fast, but I am very pleased with it.

My time was a 2:21:XX which was over 10 minutes off my goal pace, but I am satisfied with how I performed on all of the individual events.

Oh and for the next 4-5 hours I felt horribly nauseous, I'm guessing dehydration or electrolyte imbalance because that's what usually happens to me. So anyone who has any tips for race nutrition would be fantastic!

2013-06-12 10:20 PM
in reply to: iLOVEwaffles

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Strykergt - I'm just lucky to be comfortable in the water. Before 2012 I hadn't done any swimming in over 40 yrs (other than playing at the beach or snorkeling). I would think Erik (Waffles) would have more info on swimming. I'm also lucky to live near Okanagan Lake (4km/2.4mi away) a great swimming lake (no weeds, sand bottom, clear visibility and only one Ogopogo monster)

Johnthecat - Hard luck on the relapse. Annoying/frustrating for you I'm sure. Were you prescribed any kind of therapy to help with your healing?

Erik - Thanks for your report it was an interesting read. I find race reports inspirational plus you can learn a lot from them. Your time was pretty phenomenal to me. My best guess for my time in an Oly would be about 3:30:xx.
I'm not very knowledgeable on nutrition but on my long rides I put carbopro and nuun (electrolyte) in my water plus I eat honey stinger waffles and/or chopped up pieces of Clif Bars (12g protein size) and bananas when available. For running I'm not sure yet but I know "coke" is popular.

I also read in someone's race report for an IM that they put a "salt n vinegar" bag of chips in his special needs bags and found it a really nice treat. Salt n Vinegar may be more of a Canadian thing but on chips or "chips"(French fries) is great.
2013-06-13 9:16 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Johnthecat - Hard luck on the relapse. Annoying/frustrating for you I'm sure. Were you prescribed any kind of therapy to help with your healing?

Very annoying. This has been going on since January. All started with an ear infection. Doctor says it's post viral and body goes in full inflammatory response trying to fight virus but apparently body keeps going over the top. Overall it seems to be getting better but with every relapse the inflammation spreads into my back causing all kinds of back aches, tingling, radiating and other weird neurological symptoms. I'm taking an NSAID daily and the Neurologist had put me on a 10 day steroid program twice so far which seems to clear up the inflammation but doesn't seem to last in the long run. I just hope that this virus eventually fully clears out and everything goes back to normal. In the meantime I'm trying to handle the symptoms as much as possible with the medication, rest and chriopractor for back adjustments and muscle relaxation.
2013-06-13 10:48 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Very annoying. This has been going on since January. All started with an ear infection. Doctor says it's post viral and body goes in full inflammatory response trying to fight virus but apparently body keeps going over the top. Overall it seems to be getting better but with every relapse the inflammation spreads into my back causing all kinds of back aches, tingling, radiating and other weird neurological symptoms. I'm taking an NSAID daily and the Neurologist had put me on a 10 day steroid program twice so far which seems to clear up the inflammation but doesn't seem to last in the long run. I just hope that this virus eventually fully clears out and everything goes back to normal. In the meantime I'm trying to handle the symptoms as much as possible with the medication, rest and chriopractor for back adjustments and muscle relaxation.

Hang in there. Back pain really sucks.
2013-06-14 11:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Wow John. that's a lot of issues from an ear infection. It sounds as though you're doing all you can to get rid of it but it still sounds unreasonably persistent.

I hope you get better fast.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41