BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-05-28 2:31 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
New wheels! Vilano Tuono. It is a cheap entry level road bike but it should be way faster than my mountian bike! Can't wait to get out on it this weekend!

2014-05-28 2:52 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Jeakins New wheels! Vilano Tuono. It is a cheap entry level road bike but it should be way faster than my mountian bike! Can't wait to get out on it this weekend!

Sweet! You will be amazed at the difference! Might as well go budget to begin with because once you get going....(see Alex's bike) and you will be cashing in your empties to support your tri habit!

Where did you get it from? I am looking for and inexpensive road bike for my son and it seems even the used ones cost a bundle!

Have you biked the Canmore/Banff trail? Great trail to do especially in the morning when it is less busy!

2014-05-28 3:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Jeakins New wheels! Vilano Tuono. It is a cheap entry level road bike but it should be way faster than my mountian bike! Can't wait to get out on it this weekend!

Sweet! You will be amazed at the difference! Might as well go budget to begin with because once you get going....(see Alex's bike) and you will be cashing in your empties to support your tri habit!

Where did you get it from? I am looking for and inexpensive road bike for my son and it seems even the used ones cost a bundle!

Have you biked the Canmore/Banff trail? Great trail to do especially in the morning when it is less busy!

Yes I know! You can spend from about $300 which is what I paid for my new ride to many thousands! I got it from amazon.ca which I think is the only Canadian company that offers the Vilano bikes. Then I had a LBS finish the build & tune for another about $50.

I haven't done the Canmore/Banff trail but I have done many in Calgary. The loop around the Glenmore Reservoir (15 km) is nice and you can repeat as many times as you like. But again go early before it is too busy. I get a pretty good work out on my ride home from work which is 13 km with an elevation increase of about 200 m. Going to work is a breeze for the record!

Edited by Jeakins 2014-05-28 3:21 PM
2014-05-28 3:23 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

In case anyone missed this in the triathlon talk section...people were walking by my office looking at me strange as I was laughing...

I have recently made a mistake in my life, and I offer my story to you, that you may learn from my error. It all started, as many things do, with me having trouble s***ting.

No, I was not constipated; this was not a regularity problem but a matter of technique. It seems my -hair had grown to such a length that tiny grogans were constantly getting tied up in the matted jungle between my cheeks. It led to much frustration, with me KNOWING that I still had something to drop, but unable to shake the tenacious turd loose from its butthair dwelling. Eventually I would have to do two things: either reach down with some paper and try to pinch off the lingering loaf (which required careful precision to avoid smearing the creature all over my rear, especially since I had no way of seeing what I was doing) or just go for broke, start wiping, and hope that I could remove all the leftover fecal matter before the toilet paper reached its Can't-Be-Flushed threshold.

I was contemplating this problem, when I had what seemed at the time to be a bright idea. "Hey! This is my butt and my butt-hair, right? So why don't I just eliminate all the hair, and then my grogans will flow out like beer from a keg!" I said to myself. It is a statement that will go down in history with a lot of other regretted statements. "How many Indians could there be?" said by General Custer. "Looks like a good day for a drive!" by JFK. "There! America On-Line now has complete Usenet access!" by some idiot system tech. Such was my anal shaving idea.

I performed the operation that night, with a cheap disposable razor and a towel to sit on. Starting from the bottom, and shaving from the crack to the cheeks, I began the arduous process of ridding my of hair. Occassionally, I would have to clean the razor of accumulated hair and miscellaneous slime, which I did by wiping it on the towel. Slowly, my twin mounds and the between-ravine began to resemble the hairless cheeks of a newborn baby. Finally, I wiped the razor one last time, and surveyed my work. The towel was covered with a pile of hair. My was smooth as ivory. I smiled, satisfied, thinking my troubles were over.

Little did I know.

I now have a great respect for anal-hair. Like everything in this world God created, it has its mighty purpose in existence. It was only after I had removed it that I started to learn how much I had been taking it for granted. For one, it provides friction. I learned this the next day, when I walked out into the sun heading for class. After climbing two flights of stairs and starting to sweat, I started to notice something unpleasant. The sweat was accumulating in my crack, and was causing the unpleasant sensation of my two asscheeks sliding past each other with every step. I thought about going to the bathroom and wiping it off, but had to get to class. Eventually, I thought, it would dry.

Unfortunately, it did dry, but only after mingling with the microscopic s**t- molecules lingering around my brown starfish. When I stood up after class, my cheeks were stuck together with a slimy sticky s**t/sweat combination. As I made my way back to my dorm, it started to itch. God-DAMN, did it itch! Felt like a swarm of ants was making its way up and down my crack. Fighting to keep from jamming my hand down there and scratching away, I rushed back to the dorm.

Unfortunately again, this exertion caused me to sweat, and when I finally reached my room, my cheeks were sliding back and forth against each other like a pair of horny cane-toads. I quickly dropped my pants, and attempted to dry my off by sticking it in front of a fan and spreading my cheeks. As I pulled the two mounds of flesh apart, a horrible stench burst free and filled the room. Every dog within a 4 block radius started to howl. I had it worst of all, as the ripe aroma of festering s**t/sweat went into the fan and blew back into my face. I fought to keep from heaving. And as I sat there, fighting vomit, my cheeks spread and dripping, with the concentrated aroma of my body odor mixed with the tangy smell of my own s**t blowing right into my face, I had only one thought: "It will be like this until the hair grows back. Weeks."

Later on, trying to deal as best I could, wiping my at every opportunity, I discovered another wonderful use for -hair - ventilation. I attempted to launch a fart, only to have it get stuck between my asscheeks. Apparently, with no hair, the two pink twins can get vacuum sealed together, and the result was a frustrating fart that slid up and down between my cheeks like a lost gerbil.

As if that wasn't enough, I am now enduring further torture. As anyone who has ever shaved anything knows, when hair is first growing in, it comes in as stubble. Imagine your having the texture of a brillo pad. Well, that is what I am dealing with now. It is a hellish torture, and there are many times when I just look out the window and contemplate why I shouldn't just jump out and get it all over with in one fleshy splat, rather than endure this constant agony.

Friends, DON'T SHAVE YOUR -HAIR!

not my work, posted on another forum and I just copied and pasted

2014-05-28 6:07 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Veteran
Oh my gosh that was funny.
2014-05-28 8:25 PM
in reply to: randym95

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks for posting that.

2014-05-28 8:31 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I think my tri coach was trying to kill us tonight. I did 30 min in the pool this afternoon working on breathing to my weak side and on form. Went to swim tonight and we did 300 wu followed by 15 x 100 on 10 sec rest. Every single 100 was in the high 1:40s to low 1:50s. I already moved up a lane and now I was 150 yards ahead of the fastest guy in my new lane. She is putting me in a new one on Monday now. She fixed my form with breathing. It is causing me to be more balanced in the water. Same effort just faster times. In 2 weeks I am setting an hour with her to dig deeper into my form. If I could get to 1:30s by Sept I think I will hit my 1 hour goal no problem.

That was just the swim. Off to the track next. We did 10 runs up the bleachers then 20 squats then 1/2 mile on the track....repeat 4 times. All of that followed by a mini core boot camp. Absolutely brutal workout.
2014-05-29 8:58 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by Burd I think my tri coach was trying to kill us tonight. I did 30 min in the pool this afternoon working on breathing to my weak side and on form. Went to swim tonight and we did 300 wu followed by 15 x 100 on 10 sec rest. Every single 100 was in the high 1:40s to low 1:50s. I already moved up a lane and now I was 150 yards ahead of the fastest guy in my new lane. She is putting me in a new one on Monday now. She fixed my form with breathing. It is causing me to be more balanced in the water. Same effort just faster times. In 2 weeks I am setting an hour with her to dig deeper into my form. If I could get to 1:30s by Sept I think I will hit my 1 hour goal no problem. That was just the swim. Off to the track next. We did 10 runs up the bleachers then 20 squats then 1/2 mile on the track....repeat 4 times. All of that followed by a mini core boot camp. Absolutely brutal workout.

That's quite a workout.  Makes my 1 hour jog this morning seem like a walk in the part. 

2014-05-29 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Burd I think my tri coach was trying to kill us tonight. I did 30 min in the pool this afternoon working on breathing to my weak side and on form. Went to swim tonight and we did 300 wu followed by 15 x 100 on 10 sec rest. Every single 100 was in the high 1:40s to low 1:50s. I already moved up a lane and now I was 150 yards ahead of the fastest guy in my new lane. She is putting me in a new one on Monday now. She fixed my form with breathing. It is causing me to be more balanced in the water. Same effort just faster times. In 2 weeks I am setting an hour with her to dig deeper into my form. If I could get to 1:30s by Sept I think I will hit my 1 hour goal no problem. That was just the swim. Off to the track next. We did 10 runs up the bleachers then 20 squats then 1/2 mile on the track....repeat 4 times. All of that followed by a mini core boot camp. Absolutely brutal workout.

Slacker...

2014-05-29 9:55 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

thor: That was hilarious.

Jeff nice bike

did torch run for special Olympics today. Longest run since my stress fracture. Could only make it 6.5 miles before I tapped out for a 20 min break then finished 2 more. Not happy about that at all. Looks like I see a lot of running in my future......

To be fair the course if VERY hilly but still it should have been an easy run at the pace we were going.

2014-05-29 12:37 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Slacker...

Reading this I realise how soft I am on myself.

2014-05-29 12:56 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I am currently trying to convince parents/inlaws that Garmin is the gift for 19th wedding anniversary...matching 910's...

Although the new Tom Tom is intriguing. Heart rate monitor built into watch...no strap around chest.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_ca/products/your-sports/tomtom-multi-sport-cardio-gps-watch/white/index.jsp

2014-05-29 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

I am currently trying to convince parents/inlaws that Garmin is the gift for 19th wedding anniversary...matching 910's...

Although the new Tom Tom is intriguing. Heart rate monitor built into watch...no strap around chest.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_ca/products/your-sports/tomtom-multi-sport-cardio-gps-watch/white/index.jsp

While I love my 910xt to pieces I may be selling it for the new Polar V800. Someone at practice last night showed it to me. I had been looking at it and finally saw it in person. That thing does everything. I like the smart coaching on it and the fact it keeps track of your training load for recovery so you don't over train. Big selling point for me since I always want to go overboard and train too hard. It has all the features of the Garmin and then some. It has all of the addons the Garmin does down to the new power pedals coming in June. It's actually a watch I can wear all day and track my calories through the whole day not just a workout. If I am spending that much money it would be nice to actually be able to use it as a watch also. The features are to numerous to list but check out dcrainmakers review on it. Only problem is it's so new there will be a ton of firmware updates for the next few months. Worth a look at the least.

http://www.polar.com/us-en/products/maximize_performance/running_mu...
2014-05-30 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

So it's been a rough week. Both my kids are sick and it's at the point where both my wife and I are up with them. All I managed this week so far is a session on the trainer a 3.8 mile run and a 45 minute swim. My half is in 16 weeks on Sunday. Am I screwed??
2014-05-30 7:37 AM
in reply to: Brodzki

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Life sometimes gets in the way, especially when you have kids. If I remember correctly you have pretty good base for fitness as well as a swim background?? 16 weeks is fine, you just need to be consistent on your training from now on.

Originally posted by Brodzki So it's been a rough week. Both my kids are sick and it's at the point where both my wife and I are up with them. All I managed this week so far is a session on the trainer a 3.8 mile run and a 45 minute swim. My half is in 16 weeks on Sunday. Am I screwed??

2014-05-30 8:06 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Life sometimes gets in the way, especially when you have kids. If I remember correctly you have pretty good base for fitness as well as a swim background?? 16 weeks is fine, you just need to be consistent on your training from now on.

Originally posted by Brodzki So it's been a rough week. Both my kids are sick and it's at the point where both my wife and I are up with them. All I managed this week so far is a session on the trainer a 3.8 mile run and a 45 minute swim. My half is in 16 weeks on Sunday. Am I screwed??

Gotta agree, even though I have no experience with the training loads needed for a half.

My wife had sudden surgery at the start of this month. A big 4 day gap in my training logs can testify to that. Just treat it like a recovery week. You can get a ton of work done in 16 weeks.

2014-05-30 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Happy Friday!! Had a great swim this morning. Hoping to sneak out for a run at lunch time permitting. May has been a great rebound month of training for me. Probably my best month in over a year. Still catching up to where I was last winter...damn I hate getting old.

On the bright side I believe Charles and David are on tap to race the HIM this weekend. Good luck gentlemen. Make sure you have a cold celebratory drink(s) waiting at the end!!

2014-05-30 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I am laying out the June Challenge for those who need a little push to train. Let's make it 28 S/B/R workouts in 30 days. That would be 7 workouts/week.

Minimums:

Swim:15 minutes.

Bike:30 minutes.

Run:20 minutes.

As long as you hit the minimums, bricks count as 2.

S/B/R only. One exception ...if you drink a dozen cans warm coors lite in one sitting, I will count that as 8 workouts. Of course if there is no video, it didn't happen...

Remember log your workouts and check in weekly!

Who is in?

2014-05-30 8:18 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
2 things

1) Can you guys give me some help in setting my expectations. I have my first sprint distance race in 8 days and have always been hoping to break 2 hours (750m, 30km, 7.5km).

I am am lucky to break 2mins per 100m swimming and the swim ends with a 300m run to T1 before you go over the timing mats. 16 or 17 mins for the swim and then 2 mins to run up to T1.

Biking is hard to measure. This mornings commute was 9.7km in 19 minutes. So I know I can sustain 30kph (18.6mph). So hope to go under an hour.

My half marathon pace is about 5:19 per km and my 10k pace about 5:09. So I hope to cover the 7.5km in about 39 mins.

Swim and run to T1 = 19mins
T1 = 2mins
Bike = 60 mins
T2 = 2 mins
Run = 40mins

Total = 2hrs 4 mins

I so much want to beat 2 hours but that really means not making any mistakes. Am I off my nut thinking this is possible?

2) Where is out glorious leader? And how did the interview go?
2014-05-30 8:51 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by badmo77a

Gotta agree, even though I have no experience with the training loads needed for a half. My wife had sudden surgery at the start of this month. A big 4 day gap in my training logs can testify to that. Just treat it like a recovery week. You can get a ton of work done in 16 weeks.

I'm going to agree with everyone else at 16 weeks out you still have plenty of time to train and make up for any lost ground.

2014-05-30 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

It is always difficult to figure out a time as there are so many variables involved. Shoot for under 2 hours. Weather and terrain can make a huge impact on your race. I have run identical races expecting to improve greatly but came out only slight ahead due to brutal winds. Wind, rain, hills, people(especially swim starts) can cause you issues.

If it were me I would shoot for under 2 hours but understand that variables out of your control could cause you to go over 2.

Good luck!

As for David, he is busy drinking beer at all the breweries/brewpubs with fellow BDAS member Charles while tapering for their HIM this weekend.

Originally posted by badmo77a 2 things 1) Can you guys give me some help in setting my expectations. I have my first sprint distance race in 8 days and have always been hoping to break 2 hours (750m, 30km, 7.5km). I am am lucky to break 2mins per 100m swimming and the swim ends with a 300m run to T1 before you go over the timing mats. 16 or 17 mins for the swim and then 2 mins to run up to T1. Biking is hard to measure. This mornings commute was 9.7km in 19 minutes. So I know I can sustain 30kph (18.6mph). So hope to go under an hour. My half marathon pace is about 5:19 per km and my 10k pace about 5:09. So I hope to cover the 7.5km in about 39 mins. Swim and run to T1 = 19mins T1 = 2mins Bike = 60 mins T2 = 2 mins Run = 40mins Total = 2hrs 4 mins I so much want to beat 2 hours but that really means not making any mistakes. Am I off my nut thinking this is possible? 2) Where is out glorious leader? And how did the interview go?

2014-05-30 8:58 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

I am laying out the June Challenge for those who need a little push to train. Let's make it 28 S/B/R workouts in 30 days. That would be 7 workouts/week.

Minimums:

S/B/R only. One exception ...if you drink a dozen cans warm coors lite in one sitting, I will count that as 8 workouts. Of course if there is no video, it didn't happen...

Who is in?

I'm in!  My plan calls for 38 or so workouts so I should be good to go.

2014-05-30 9:28 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

It is always difficult to figure out a time as there are so many variables involved. Shoot for under 2 hours. Weather and terrain can make a huge impact on your race. I have run identical races expecting to improve greatly but came out only slight ahead due to brutal winds. Wind, rain, hills, people(especially swim starts) can cause you issues.

If it were me I would shoot for under 2 hours but understand that variables out of your control could cause you to go over 2.

Good luck!

As for David, he is busy drinking beer at all the breweries/brewpubs with fellow BDAS member Charles while tapering for their HIM this weekend.

Originally posted by badmo77a 2 things 1) Can you guys give me some help in setting my expectations. I have my first sprint distance race in 8 days and have always been hoping to break 2 hours (750m, 30km, 7.5km). I am am lucky to break 2mins per 100m swimming and the swim ends with a 300m run to T1 before you go over the timing mats. 16 or 17 mins for the swim and then 2 mins to run up to T1. Biking is hard to measure. This mornings commute was 9.7km in 19 minutes. So I know I can sustain 30kph (18.6mph). So hope to go under an hour. My half marathon pace is about 5:19 per km and my 10k pace about 5:09. So I hope to cover the 7.5km in about 39 mins. Swim and run to T1 = 19mins T1 = 2mins Bike = 60 mins T2 = 2 mins Run = 40mins Total = 2hrs 4 mins I so much want to beat 2 hours but that really means not making any mistakes. Am I off my nut thinking this is possible? 2) Where is out glorious leader? And how did the interview go?

Weather forecast is good. High of 22c and we start early so it should be cool. There can be a strong prevailing wind but it is an out and back course with lots of right angled turns so wind assist vs wind against should be 50/50. Both bike and run are virtually flat. So my awful climbing ability on the bike should not be tested.

I forgot about the out of town "taper". :-)
2014-05-30 9:36 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by podemma

Minimums:

Who is in?

Probably out of range for me. Although I do need a push.

1) Most of my rides to work are just about 20 minutes. I can extend them on the way home but not on the way in. So half my riding would not count to the total.

2) Straight after my sprint on the 7th I am focusing on a 10k on June 24th where I must crush my sister-in-law at all costs i am hoping to PR. So I will be going over to a more run focused plan for 2-3 weeks.

Still temping though. I will see what I can do.
2014-05-30 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

2 bikes equal 1 completed workout.

Consider yourself in.

Originally posted by badmo77a
Originally posted by podemma

Minimums:

Who is in?

Probably out of range for me. Although I do need a push. 1) Most of my rides to work are just about 20 minutes. I can extend them on the way home but not on the way in. So half my riding would not count to the total. 2) Straight after my sprint on the 7th I am focusing on a 10k on June 24th where I must crush my sister-in-law at all costs i am hoping to PR. So I will be going over to a more run focused plan for 2-3 weeks. Still temping though. I will see what I can do.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51166 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.