Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2007-02-25 2:49 PM
in reply to: #633528

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Betsy's Group - FULL
Hello lovelies,

I hope you had a good week of training! Keep pushing!

I'm sitting in my apartment on that wonderful long run high, munching on saltines (MMMmm, post run goodness!) and icing my IT band. I have a few running/injury related questions:

1. What tricks do you use to keep from simply spending the entire day sleeping and eating (like I do) after a long run? What are good energy/recovery foods/drinks?

2. What should I be doing post-run for my IT-band? Icing? Motrin? Stretching?

Keep it up! Our group is awesome!

2007-02-25 4:51 PM

User image

Welcome back, Jessie. Good to hear your training is going well and is fun!

Possum, YES, snow shoveling is an awesome workout--I do speak from experience. I posted yard work a couple of times; snow shoveling should definitely be there.

Christina, I know what you mean. I've somehow had more success this go around with not sleeping/lazing the day away after a big workout. I guess what's worked for me is planning something to do later in advance so I know I'll have only an hour or two rest and then I gotta get up and do it. Also, I just read that it's good to add a little protein to your after-workout snack--helps with muscle recovery. So maybe a little peanut butter on your Saltines?

By the way, I read that and lots of other great stuff in a book called, "The Woman Triathlete". It was chock full of good information. I think the author/editor is Gandolfo or something.

I was going to go over to the Amgen Tour of California today but got scared off by the rain, crowds and traffic...maybe next year. Leipheimer was in the lead after that previous stage--does anyone know him?

Still have a short bike ride, short run (BRICK!) and a core workout planned for today.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Rene
2007-02-25 5:23 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: ---
Welcome back Jessie and I know we all understand. You're right, school is your priority right now and there are many opportunities for tris in the futer.

On a sadder note, I found out this weekend that a childhood friend of mine was just diagnosed with breast cancer and it's already spread to her lymph nodes. She's 37 years old and has an 8 year old little girl and 5 year old little boy. I was so angry when I heard....cancer is all around me right now with friends and family effected. This gives me that much more motivation to not only compete in the Danskin but kick butt! I'm now participating in honor of my Mom, my dear childhood friend and my manager from a previous company who is dieing of Hodgkins disease. June 10th is my day to battle this disease on their behalf.

I encourage everyone to support and donate to organizations that provide research for a cure to cancer. I make an annual donation to the Susan G. Combs breast cancer foundation and you can find out more by visiting their website. To all women out there, PLEASE have an annual mammogram and PLEASE take the time each month to conduct a self exam. Shelly, the friend I mentioned above, found her cancer by a self exam. She's a stage 2 right now but had she let it go just 1 more month, her prognosis would not be that good.

Blessings to all and happy training this week!

2007-02-25 8:48 PM
in reply to: #702558

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-02-25 11:35 PM
in reply to: #702473

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

cbirchrun - 2007-02-25 3:49 PM Hello lovelies, I hope you had a good week of training! Keep pushing! I'm sitting in my apartment on that wonderful long run high, munching on saltines (MMMmm, post run goodness!) and icing my IT band. I have a few running/injury related questions: 1. What tricks do you use to keep from simply spending the entire day sleeping and eating (like I do) after a long run? What are good energy/recovery foods/drinks? 2. What should I be doing post-run for my IT-band? Icing? Motrin? Stretching? Keep it up! Our group is awesome!

2 idears... on your post long run activities---> keep moving until you are ready to really rest. I usually get in & do the whole shower thing... then I try to keep myself in motion w/ a series of errands/house cleaning/shopping.... whatever ... until i'm truly ready to nap or goto bed.... i don't sit unless i'm ready to really wind down.  otherwise.. it's super easy to lay arnd all day & just munch until meal times.  I don't like having a lay arnd day because i feel like i've wasted my day and my body feels so cramped up when i do get up. .... on the 2nd ?.. for IT-Band stretching... i once had a trainer (who was also a chiropracter) show me a good stretch... similar to what you see a ballerina do at the wall bar... stand about a foot out from a bar/wall/mantle/ chair for support .. cross your left foot over your other ankle and stretch your outreached left arm overhead toward the wall/chair/bar... the it band stretch comes from keeping your pelvis square and facing straight fwd and slightly arching your back be sure to stand tall. switch and do the other side... also if you have a fitball... lay on it in a backbend position and feel the most wonderful stretch ever.

ibuprofen can't hurt either. not sure about  ice or heat.

2007-02-26 5:27 AM

2007-02-26 10:52 AM

Yeah! I did my first BRICK! And it wasn't so bad...

Ended up heading over to the Amgen Tour of California final stage held right here in my town. We got there after the race was over was over but were able to ride down the race course while they picked up the cones. No traffic--how great is that?! Even caught the end of the festival--nice to be among tons of fellow biking enthusiasts. When I got home, I went right into the run. I walked for the first five mins before crossing a busy street and getting into my run, so that probably helped in the transition--a luxury I won't have on race day. I also ran longer than usual so that felt great.

What an awesome feeling after a recent low point. Next week, I'm going to try a swim/bike transition. I love this!

Rene

2007-02-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: #702415

2007-02-26 2:09 PM
in reply to: #703572

Champion
Wisconsin
betsy - 2007-02-26 1:56 PM
possum - 2007-02-25 2:00 PM

dear coach betsy,

does shoveling snow count as cross training? Heck YEA!

ok, so take a look at my logs, and tel me truthfully how soon I could be ready to do a marathon (assuming good health, and no other tris to distract.) I am sure that you can

The one I ran in 99, I was 30 lbs lighter, 8 years younger blah blah, but I ran/walked it in 4:20 and change . Faster than my marathons

Thi sis all hypothetica, of course.. No it is not

Am I still fired?

you are now on probabtion. You will be off proabation when you answer the question HOW SOON COULD I BE READY?

-your biggest nightmare. 

2007-02-26 10:35 PM

Hey Y'all - Boy, there has been so much news going on with everyone!! Please know that I am thinking of you and am cheering for y'all - sorry I haven't been motivating everyone!

Work is killing me and I had a mini-breakdown yesterday, which is so unlike me! I AM BACK AND BACK WITH A VEGENCE!!

Betsy - Congrats on being selected for the Snickers team! THAT IS SO AWESOME!! And congrats on you 1/2 Marathon! Have fun in Vegas!

Eric - to our "boyfriend" - call me when you get some Cards tickets!!

Hope everyone is getting the clipping in and out o.k. - just try to REMEMBER while you are on your bike that you are clipped in. Sounds wierd, i know.

WHO IS THIS POSSUM PERSON?? Welcome to our group!

Jessie - keep pushing through Senioritis!! You can do it!!

Stacey - sorry to hear about your friend! It is awesome that you are competing in the Danskin race!

I hope everyone is doing good and had a great weekend - we had GORGEOUS weather (minus the bad weather on Saturday afternoon) and it looks like it is going to continue to be awesome!!

Carrie
2007-02-27 7:38 AM

Champion
Wisconsin

HI, sorry, I am possum, and betsy has been unofficially pestering bullying helping me get back on track as a runner. She recommended I join your group, and so I have been hanging around, but not yet ready to taint such fine people with my mediocrity!

So here goes, a proper intro:

NAME: Hollis

STORY:
I am trying to get myself back into healthy shape- I was a college athlete, ran a marathon, have done a pile of little tris, but I am now a sloth, and can't seem to get past the feelings of self loathing and depression about how badly I have "let myself go" SO I am thinking of having a new goal, which is a marathon this year. We'll see.

FAMILY STATUS: I have a partner, and 2 imperfect but loveable dogs. Desperately want babies that are human

CURRENT TRAINING: Sporadic

LAST YEAR'S RACES: a sprint, 2 olys, a 15K run, a few aquathons, and a few 5ks, all slow, all miserable.

WEIGHTLOSS: I don't want to talk about it, there hasn't been enough, and it's becasue I have no discipline. When I ran my marathon in 1999, at age 27, I was 104 lbs. Now at 35, I hover around 135.

Edited by possum 2007-02-27 7:38 AM

2007-02-27 7:08 PM

Hey Girlfriends.....Wow we added another woman......my dreams are coming true. I think when my wife gets home from work I am going to tell her we have to buy another king size bed so we all can fit......lol.

Ok I have had a busy weekend, between friday and monday I worked 65hrs. And yesterday I got my butt kicked at work. At 5pm a person came home to find a car running in the garage for 10hrs. That started the windfall of my evening. Two patients in the home and we ended up sending two cops and a fireman to the hospital. Moral of the story.....buy a Carbon monoxide detector for your home. And a half hr of sleep during the night did not help either. But I made into the gym today.......yeah for me.

Possum welcome to the group. Lift up your head cause you are in our group and we all work together here as I am sure you have noticed. SO welcome to our family. I just had my physical at work last yr this time I was 262....now 241. Soooooooo if you want it do it......a song that lifts me up while working out by Switchfoot.......Dare you to Move.....listen to the words and go with it.........

I hope all of you listen to it .....it motivates me.....its how one feels when you find someone inside of yourself. So I may be goofy......but whatever works......

Any who.......I have missed you guys this past weekend............OHHHH and I do have cubs tickets.....lol.....maybe I should have asked my wife before I invite all my girlfriends.......lol.......but ohhhh well........

xoxoxooxox for now...........Eric

2007-02-28 9:12 AM

Champion
Wisconsin
Thanks Eric!  Hopefully I'll get to a gym class this afternoon and a short run. Gotta earn my keep!
2007-03-01 11:39 AM

Champion
Wisconsin
so yesterday I actually ran AND did core. I am getting the hang of this. Just spent some time going to all your blogs and checking out your hard work.  What a great group! Everyone do 10 pushups and 10 crunches tonight and log them so betsy will be impressed when she gets back!
2007-03-01 9:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

welcome to the club Possum no worries, you've got all that experience under your belt I'm sure that once you're in a reg. training pattern you will hit your goal weight/or desired physique... afterall I was just reading my galloway book on running today which stated quite clearly, that your body responds faster if you exercised as a child or adult... once you're in a regular routine of exercising again... (as compared to someone who's been sedentary all their life, etc.).... so see you alrdy have a head start! anyways... I need to go add you to my faves list .

Bets... I havvvvvvvvvvvvve to say it... "what happens in Vegas...."... ok.. now don't try to B.S. us with a run down of shows and dining experiences... we wanna hear all the details hehheehhee jk

it's allllllllmost Friday everyone !

Edited by ifocus 2007-03-01 9:47 PM
2007-03-02 9:02 AM

Regular
Welcome Possum!

Ladies and Gent,

I am SOOOOOO NERVOUS for Saturday's race. Yeah, it's just an Aquathlon hosted by my team, but it's my first swim race ever... I just want to survive it and get to the run.

I don't want to get too competitive about it, or I'll raise my expectations higher than they dhould be for someone who's only been swimming 3 months and then I'll get disappointed and I won't have any fun. I think, for tomorrow, my goals should be:

1. have fun,
2. finish,
in that order.

If I can't run the 3 mile leg because of my IT band, that's fine. I would much rather participate in next weekend's Tucson Tri with a steady knee.

Thoughts? Motivational quotes? Shared experiences? Kind words?

Thanks group,

<3 Chris

2007-03-02 10:06 AM

Regular
Chris, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Just remember to relax, get into your zone and keep your pace. I had my best swim ever yesterday (after only 2 months of swimming) and it finally all came together. Betsy told me it would eventually click and it did. You can do it, just have confidence and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

I agree, save that knee for next weekend when you really need it.

Here are some awesome words of inspiration that I read in my morning devotional....
"Perseverance is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with absolute assurance and certainty that what we are looking for is going to happen." Oswald Chambers.
2007-03-02 12:05 PM
in reply to: #708753

2007-03-02 12:06 PM

2007-03-04 4:23 PM
in reply to: #708753

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

Go Christina go! sorry I'm late on cheering you on with your Aquathlon... but... I just read the post.. SO.. maybe i will cheer you on in recovery :p . hope everyone is having a great wknd. let us know how it went.

question for the group and our leader: Does anyone have experience with training with hand paddles?  I'm on the fence about buying some... not sure if it would be of benefit to a beginner or not.  Looking at some Finis on ebay this wknd.

2007-03-04 6:18 PM
in reply to: #710904

2007-03-04 6:59 PM
in reply to: #703597

2007-03-04 7:55 PM

Champion
Wisconsin
welllll, today's run was pretty cool.  I actually felt like a runner today. BUT, I worry more about injury than anything else, I want to work hard but I DO NOT want my ITB to act up.  Maybe I'll just  add  5 or so minutes to my long run each week and once I get to about a 13 miler I can plan for real?  That's me coaching myself. Dangerous.
2007-03-04 8:12 PM
in reply to: #711080

2007-03-04 10:08 PM

Hey y'all, hope everyone is doing good! Did everyone have a good weekend??

Chirstina - how was your race???

I found out on Friday that my first race just got moved two weeks earlier. And then, today, I had a VERY bad wreck on my mountain bike. This was my first true ride on trails (and sadly I have had Rocky, the mountain bike, for almost a year). I had a few "crashes" on the way out and did really good coming back. And then, at the VERY END there was a buried branch, my front tire slipped and BAM - my knee hit the branch which had a point to it. I am now sitting here with a cut up knee that is swollen and blue. FOOEY!! I am pretty upset about it b/c I hate being hurt/sick. Matt was there and helped me - actually I think I scared him pretty bad b/c I hit the ground screaming in pain and crying uncontrollably.

Sorry for the venting, but I am hoping everyone will learn a very valuable lesson - WEAR KNEE PADS!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Betsy's Tri-BAMFs Rss Feed  

of 27