BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2007-01-26 11:10 AM
in reply to: #645139

Regular
TX
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL
I am about 8 weeks away from my first Sprint. I swam a mile this morning, and plan to do a brick tomorrow with a 10-15 mile ride and a 35-50 minute run. The plan I am on has swims and runs bricked together, but no bike to run, so I am going to start putting a few of these in as I get closer to race day. I can tell by getting off my bike that it will be interesting going straight to a run. Any tips on how to make this transition better?

2007-01-26 11:22 AM
in reply to: #668949

User image

Veteran

JLarge,

The dismount and then into a run is a fun experience the first time you do it. I know that at my first Try-a-Tri last year, I came off and was, I thought, running fairly fast to the transition, but my wife kept yelling at me to run. It was a challenge as your legs are like lead. It took me a good 1km on the run to get loose enought to feel good again, at that was after only a 10k bike. After 20k (when I did my first Sprint), it was a little more challenging.

I have heard, but not tried it yet, that if, before you dismount, you pedal backwards about 20 times this will get your muscles a little looser. It would be interesting to try. I guess it would work that you would coast in toward the dismount point of the bike, and the last 100 metres or yards, you would do the fast back pedalling. Don't forget that you also need to time it so that you have enough time to get out of your pedals before you reach the dismount line.

If you try it, let me know how it feels?

2007-01-26 12:36 PM

Searcy, AR
JLarge - 2007-01-26 11:10 AM

I am about 8 weeks away from my first Sprint. I swam a mile this morning, and plan to do a brick tomorrow with a 10-15 mile ride and a 35-50 minute run. The plan I am on has swims and runs bricked together, but no bike to run, so I am going to start putting a few of these in as I get closer to race day. I can tell by getting off my bike that it will be interesting going straight to a run. Any tips on how to make this transition better?

If you've never done it before, it's very disorienting. Think of it as running on stilts...tall, rubbery stilts. During my first race, I got off the bike and was running beside it through the transition area. I remember thinking to myself, "I hope I don't lose my balance, because if I do, I'm gonna bite it hard." I was running with all of my weight on my bike. Not a good practice. Anyway, the "back peddling" exercise sounds like good advice. I'm gonna have to try that.
2007-01-26 1:07 PM

User image

JLarge - 2007-01-26 11:10 AM

My only suggestion is practice. My workout doesn't have the swim to bike bricks, so I know I'm going to have to do a few of those before race day. But, I do bike to run bricks once per week because I've heard that is the tough one.

Benson
2007-01-26 3:59 PM
in reply to: #668936

User image

Finally got in an outside run today, ran about 3 1/2 miles. Tomorrow I'll probably do a short brick and then a lift. Sunday I'll take off. Other than that I'll go out one night and devote the other to academics. Does anyone have any big/fun plans???
2007-01-26 7:18 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
JLarge - 2007-01-26 9:10 AM

Speed up your cadence (take smaller steps unitl you warm up!). You will see a difference!

2007-01-26 7:20 PM

User image

Pro
MY LAST WEEKEND OF MOVING!!!!!!!!!! THE MOVERS CAME TODAY, AND SO I HAVE BOXES EVERYWHERE. Tomorrow I have to drive about 2 hours to catch dinner w/ in laws, and my nieces play. Then Sunday my wife is flying to IOWA, so we will spend the morning together, then hoping to get out on the bike maybe 40 miles or so, but we will see how many boxes I can unpack!!!!!
2007-01-28 7:30 AM

Searcy, AR
I did it! I ran 5 miles for the first time ever! It took me 48:17 to do it but I did it. So, now I know I can do it. I only need to add one more mile and I'll be ready for my Oly and 1.5 for my half mary relay. I'm a little stiff this morning, but nothing like I thought I would be. All I know is that God was moving my legs, I was just along for the ride.
2007-01-28 12:24 PM
in reply to: #670207

User image

dustyken - 2007-01-28 8:30 AM

I did it! I ran 5 miles for the first time ever! It took me 48:17 to do it but I did it. So, now I know I can do it. I only need to add one more mile and I'll be ready for my Oly and 1.5 for my half mary relay. I'm a little stiff this morning, but nothing like I thought I would be. All I know is that God was moving my legs, I was just along for the ride.

That is awesome!! I still remember the first time I ran my first 3mi, 5mi, and half marathon. It's a great feeling of accomplishment, isn't it? I had my own mini-milestone this AM and swam my first continuous 500m. Don't know how I jumped from a weak 100m to 500m, but the endurance and form are coming around.
2007-01-28 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran

Well, I completed the Robbie Burns 8k (5m) race this morning. See the race reports for more details.

Was a cold run, with snow, but I am pretty happy with my time etc.

2007-01-28 2:37 PM
in reply to: #670395

User image

Veteran

mdelder - 2007-01-28 1:24 PMI had my own mini-milestone this AM and swam my first continuous 500m. Don't know how I jumped from a weak 100m to 500m, but the endurance and form are coming around.

That's a great achievement. Keep it coming!

2007-01-28 3:36 PM
in reply to: #670483

User image

richtherunner - 2007-01-28 2:36 PM

Well, I completed the Robbie Burns 8k (5m) race this morning. See the race reports for more details.

Was a cold run, with snow, but I am pretty happy with my time etc.

Great job Rich. I can't imagine running with it 19°F outside. I get a headache when I run and it's in the 40's. I think I'll stick to the 95°F heat here in Houston.

Benson
2007-01-29 11:56 AM

User image

Pro
Never fails that plans don't alway go as planned. Everything went as planned until it came to working out!!!!!!!!!!

I got a late start on Sunday afternoon--- Too Late for a long bike (plus my dogs had been couped up all weekend while we were unpacking boxes). So I decided a little Sunset Hike would be in order. Round Trip 5.5 Miles Elevation Gain 2200 feet, Weight of Pack: 42lbs! VIEWS: PRICELESS.

(Sunsets.JPG)

(PPOOCCHH.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Sunsets.JPG (6KB - 56 downloads)
PPOOCCHH.JPG (45KB - 44 downloads)
2007-01-29 1:29 PM
in reply to: #671416

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

Steve!!!  Your dogs are beautiful!!  What are their names?

I bet the hike was all worth it for those views.  Do you have all of your boxes unpacked?  Being a former Navy family, I can relate to moving and packing/unpacking.  I don't envy you there!  Take care...  ~Jan

2007-01-29 4:31 PM
in reply to: #671571

User image

Pro
jlough - 2007-01-29 11:29 AM

Steve!!!  Your dogs are beautiful!!  What are their names?

I bet the hike was all worth it for those views.  Do you have all of your boxes unpacked?  Being a former Navy family, I can relate to moving and packing/unpacking.  I don't envy you there!  Take care...  ~Jan

That is Bailey (yellow) and Kona (Chocolate). They are my best buddies! As far as packing goes, I have put a hold on that. My wife flew to Iowa yesterday for work, and I DON'T DARE START PUTTING AWAY THINGS W/OUT HER KNOWING WHERE EVERYTHING GOES! NOR HANG ANY PICTURES!
2007-01-29 4:35 PM
in reply to: #671904

User image

That is Bailey (yellow) and Kona (Chocolate). They are my best buddies! As far as packing goes, I have put a hold on that. My wife flew to Iowa yesterday for work, and I DON'T DARE START PUTTING AWAY THINGS W/OUT HER KNOWING WHERE EVERYTHING GOES! NOR HANG ANY PICTURES!

Smart man!!

2007-01-29 4:55 PM

User image

Ah the bachelor life...haha jk
2007-02-01 6:14 AM

User image

Veteran

Last night did almost 6k run in 34 minutes with my running group. Felt good and the Achilles behaved. The temperature was about -8c and the sidewalk in some places was icy and hard snow. It forced us slow the pace a little, which was not a bad thing at all.

Tonight I have the dentist and then a drink with some fellow runners who are also training for tri's so will be discussing their plans for the year. I asked my wife to some out too, but she said no "... as all you'll be talking about is running and swimming and biking, so boring!" Oh well, one day I hope to get her more involved. She did a couple of races last summer (a 5k relay with me (2.5k each), and a 10k, which she planned on walking, but ended up running/walking and finishing in 1h 18m which is amazing for a smoker).

Have a good day everyone.

2007-02-01 6:39 AM
in reply to: #675073

User image

richtherunner - 2007-02-01 6:14 AM

Last night did almost 6k run in 34 minutes with my running group. Felt good and the Achilles behaved. The temperature was about -8c and the sidewalk in some places was icy and hard snow. It forced us slow the pace a little, which was not a bad thing at all.

Tonight I have the dentist and then a drink with some fellow runners who are also training for tri's so will be discussing their plans for the year. I asked my wife to some out too, but she said no "... as all you'll be talking about is running and swimming and biking, so boring!" Oh well, one day I hope to get her more involved. She did a couple of races last summer (a 5k relay with me (2.5k each), and a 10k, which she planned on walking, but ended up running/walking and finishing in 1h 18m which is amazing for a smoker).

Have a good day everyone.

Hmmm... a relay. I've been looking for a way to get my wife more involved in my training. Maybe that's the way to do it.

Benson
2007-02-01 7:46 AM
in reply to: #675073

Searcy, AR
I agree. I wish my wife shared this sport with me. I originally got involved so that I could take better care of myself. Now, I'm just obsessed with tri. She went to my first race with me and enjoyed hanging out with other BTer's families, but I would really like to get her involved in competing in some sort of activity that would promote healthier living. Maybe a 5K relay would be a good idea, if they had those around here.

And to richtherunner:

richtherunner - 2007-02-01 6:14 AM

I got one word for you: HARDCORE! Man, you are insane (and I mean that as a compliment). I live in Arkansas and today the state is shut down because we got about 1 inch of snow. So, getting my butt outside to run in the snow will never happen. I almost froze my butt off yesterday when a co-worker asked if I wanted to run with him. I experienced something new yesterday: being hot and cold at the same time. Weird. Anyway, you're a bigger man than me. Take care everyone.
2007-02-01 7:52 AM
in reply to: #675140

User image

Veteran

I got one word for you: HARDCORE! Man, you are insane (and I mean that as a compliment). I live in Arkansas and today the state is shut down because we got about 1 inch of snow. So, getting my butt outside to run in the snow will never happen. I almost froze my butt off yesterday when a co-worker asked if I wanted to run with him. I experienced something new yesterday: being hot and cold at the same time. Weird. Anyway, you're a bigger man than me. Take care everyone.

You know, as long as you dress appropriately (dress for about 10 degrees warmer than it really is), you will be fine. I ran 20k last year in -30c windchill and it didn't feel bad. Just slathered on the vaseline to the exposed bits to combat against frost bite and don't stand around too much and your fine. Watching your step for icy patches is more of an issue. It beats running in 30c+ humid temps (and I have done that too).

2007-02-01 10:01 AM
in reply to: #675145

User image

Pro
richtherunner - 2007-02-01 5:52 AM

You know, as long as you dress appropriately (dress for about 10 degrees warmer than it really is), you will be fine. I ran 20k last year in -30c windchill and it didn't feel bad. Just slathered on the vaseline to the exposed bits to combat against frost bite and don't stand around too much and your fine. Watching your step for icy patches is more of an issue. It beats running in 30c+ humid temps (and I have done that too).

THEY HAVE TREADMILLS THAT ARE INDOORS, AND WARM!?? Great job though
2007-02-01 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Canyon, TX
I'm so ready for it to quit snowing and blowing here. I've got to get outside!

My basketball season is almost over (I'm a junior high teacher/coach) and track will follow shortly thereafter. I'm ready for track. I coach the distance runners and either run with them or ride my bike alongside them during our workouts. A great excuse to be outside and working out!
2007-02-02 3:47 PM

User image

Veteran

What's everyone's plans for the weekend?

Mine: a Toastmasters training session tomorrow morning, then over to my Brothers to help him move stuff in preparation for moving to a new house.

A run on Sunday morning - probably venture for a 10 or so k (maybe more depending on who is there and the distances they choose), then will endeavour to go for swim in the afternoon. Then my bottle of wine on Sunday evening  in prep for Monday back to work.

Have a good weekend every one.

2007-02-02 4:36 PM
in reply to: #677483

User image

richtherunner - 2007-02-02 3:47 PM

What's everyone's plans for the weekend?

Mine: a Toastmasters training session tomorrow morning, then over to my Brothers to help him move stuff in preparation for moving to a new house.

A run on Sunday morning - probably venture for a 10 or so k (maybe more depending on who is there and the distances they choose), then will endeavour to go for swim in the afternoon. Then my bottle of wine on Sunday evening  in prep for Monday back to work.

Have a good weekend every one.

Sounds like a full weekend, or at least a full Saturday! Unfortunately, I have a BUNCH of exams this upcoming week so I'll run and lift tomorrow and lift on Sunday. Other than that I will be studying or watching the superbowl.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 21