BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 42

2007-06-11 12:55 PM
in reply to: #839058

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's Group - CLOSED
I'm pretty sure BOP is back of pack, and DFL is dead f-ing last... or something similar.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.

Well, I might be crazy - but I found an oly this saturday not too far in CT so I registered. Here we go again - 7 days later! This time around I'll have a few more tubes and won't touch the wheels before the race.

I really feel like I need to get back in the game as quickly as possible!
http://www.patgriskustri.com/index.htm

Rob

2007-06-11 2:23 PM
in reply to: #839193

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

rperissi - 2007-06-11 1:55 PM I'm pretty sure BOP is back of pack, and DFL is dead f-ing last... or something similar. Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. Well, I might be crazy - but I found an oly this saturday not too far in CT so I registered. Here we go again - 7 days later! This time around I'll have a few more tubes and won't touch the wheels before the race. I really feel like I need to get back in the game as quickly as possible! http://www.patgriskustri.com/index.htmRob

Yes...BOP=back of pack     DFL= dead f'ing last

That is awesome about the oly this weekend!!!! You rock for finding one again so quickly!!! Good luck!!!!!

2007-06-11 2:24 PM
in reply to: #804244

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

Posted my race report!!!!!!!

2007-06-11 5:01 PM
in reply to: #837112

User image

Medusa_Ann - 2007-06-09 10:47 AM Hopefully you folks that are competing today are kicking some butt, or at least having a great time (that's why we are doing this, right??)!! I'm in California this weekend and haven't been online to see how everyone is doing....I did go running this morning at least! I am being given a bike--so if anyone has opinions on a good entry level road bike, let me know. I don't know my budget yet but probably not too expensive. It will be faster than my mountain bike, though, no matter what. My local bike shop is family-run and full of cute young boys, which to an old mama is pretty fun! They are all really nice, since their mom and dad are there running the store. Another question--many of the tri books I have been reading (everything I can get my hands on at the library) talks about heart rate monitors. How many of you use them, and do you find them as awesome as the books say they are? And if you find them useful, what type do you use? Final question, I promise--if you are busty, where do you put the monitor? (More on that in my log)....

Awww.. the heart rate monitor talk... get one and use it.  Its the best thing you will ever do for your tri training!  (But that is my opinion).

2007-06-11 5:04 PM
in reply to: #837123

User image

Kazho - 2007-06-09 11:05 AM Oh! I have a question as well. I have a bit of a phobia about water. Yea, I can even get myself freaked out in the pool. One of my biggest problems is water up the nose. I can be in the groove swimming right along, get some water up my nose and bam, it can make me stop. Would it be detrimental to practice with nose plugs until I get my stroke down, or is there some uber secret method to keep water out of my oversensitive nose?

Don't feel bad about the water thing.  I had a panic attack, in the pool, at my first tri.  I also had a panic attack at the tri I did in April.  It happens, but I spend enough time in the water to know what to do when I get panicked.  The best advice I can give you is swim swim swim.  The more comfy you are in the water, the better off you will be.  On race day, you will be nervous anyway, so you shouldn't have to be freaked out about getting in the water.

Swim, swim, swim!!!

2007-06-11 5:12 PM

User image

Deep breath... and here we go...

For all of you that would like to use a HRM, you need to establish your proper training zone... Mike Ricci, the oh-so-fabulous BT coach has a MASSIVE thread on this very topic.  Do a forums search and look for the thread called "220 - age, The Truth" (or something like that...)

To sum it up, when you are training for endurance sports you first need to establish a strong level of base endurance.  You do this by training at a heart rate (which is directly related to intensity) that is low enough to keep your body aerobic.  When your HR gets too high your body starts to produce lactic acid and that causes fatigue.  Fatigue is bad to a triathlete.

In order to determine your HR zones, you need to do an LT test for the sports you will be training for (biking and running).  The bike test is usually just a time trial of 30-40 minutes, but the run test is a bit more complicated.  It consists of a 10 minute warm up, followed by 20 minutes of steadily increasing speed until you are going all out.  When your done you should have nothing left in the gas tank.  You should take the average HR for those 20 minutes and use that as your Lactate Threshold.  There is a formula that you can use that will calculate your training zones...  I can provide that if you need it.

2007-06-11 5:13 PM

User image

Congrats to all you cats that can now call yourselves a TRIATHLETE!  You guys just ROCK!
2007-06-11 5:18 PM

User image

Ok guys... no more Shark Week on the Discovery Channel.  I am hereby forbidding you all from watching shark week.... go ride your bike instead.

You hear me??? NO SHARK WEEK!

2007-06-11 11:03 PM
in reply to: #839769

User image

Expert
Nobody read Fristriguy's negative race report. He did awesome! When I figure out how to write mine (If I ever do), I will say how he was so focused on his bike that he did not even respond to my childish antics when I was yelling at him and Marmadaddy when they were dueling on the mountain...Tomorow I get to see the bill from the LBS, if I bent my back rim or not...YIKES!
2007-06-12 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Here's a really cool picture of Yubi (from our Spring group) finishing her triathlon on Sunday in Puerto Rico - it's the first pic you'll see.  You can read more about her recovery from injury in her logs.

http://www.trimalangos.com/

2007-06-12 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
As a little prep for my triathlon, I'm going to volunteer at the Pittsburgh Triathlon in July.  They're putting me in the transition area so I can get a good view of the routines there.  That should be cool!

2007-06-12 2:59 PM
in reply to: #841207

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

willie05 - 2007-06-12 2:47 PM As a little prep for my triathlon, I'm going to volunteer at the Pittsburgh Triathlon in July.  They're putting me in the transition area so I can get a good view of the routines there.  That should be cool!

That is such a good idea! I wish I had had the chance to do that before my race. I'll bet you'll learn a lot...not to mention doign a good deed by helping others through their tri.

2007-06-12 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Biking question for you all....what's a good MPH? I don't have any sort of comparisons so I don't know how I am doing in general. I know it depends on hills, weather, bike, rider fitness etc, but just wondering what sort of pace people are striving for.

Does it matter more how far you go vs how hard you work (like riding hills vs a long flat ride)? I try to fit both into my week to make sure I cover all bases. I know my speed is slow now due to my bike being a heavy mountain bike (and with occasional bike trailer in tow), but I am hoping to have a road bike soon in order to become more competitive. I also try to keep my cadence pretty consistent, although I don't know the RPMs since I don't have a computer (yet)!

I read the article about biking that was posted on BT yesterday and worked on my form, and I think it made a huge difference in my ride this morning. What is "average" MPH in a triathlon? I know there will be a wide range of answers, but that's why I enjoy the forums here!! Any bike tips to share? I used to do time trials, but that was over 20 years ago and bike technology has changed. Thanks everybody! It's fun reading all the race reports now that race season is getting into full swing. I am considering doing a tri earlier than the end of August, as it seems so far off and I want to get into the game!
2007-06-12 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
bike mph

15 to 17 and you're moving along at a decent clip.

Above 23 to 25 you're screaming along and probably going downhill. Lance Armstrong averages 33 on the flats in the Tour De Lance, if that gives you any idea.

And, I have a thigh burning hill by my house, and if I'm staying at 7 or 8 going up it, I'm thrilled. (And, my heart rate monitor is beeping frantically at me at the top...usually I'm around 95% of my heart rate when I get there.)
2007-06-12 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
I agree with those.  Have a look at the Race Report forum - you learn a lot from everyone's experiences, plus the times and speeds are listed.  You'll see that the speeds are all over the place.
2007-06-12 6:48 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
So what are shark fin drills??

2007-06-12 7:01 PM
in reply to: #839769

User image

Expert
triOK - 2007-06-11 5:18 PM

Ok guys... no more Shark Week on the Discovery Channel.  I am hereby forbidding you all from watching shark week.... go ride your bike instead.

I have swam with sharks and intentionally offered them bloody food underwater with no injuries They are scared and would be nowhere near the nonsense of a mass open water swim...
2007-06-13 6:53 AM
in reply to: #841810

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
gator22 - 2007-06-12 8:01 PM

I have swam with sharks and intentionally offered them bloody food underwater with no injuries They are scared and would be nowhere near the nonsense of a mass open water swim...

That can't be right - I saw Jaws.

Laughing

2007-06-13 7:16 AM
in reply to: #841796

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

erhoffma - 2007-06-12 7:48 PM So what are shark fin drills??

This is an easy glide type drill so you can concentrate on what your arm is doing without getting low on breath. 

Swim on your side with your lower arm extended straight in front of you (or slightly pointed down for balance).  Take a couple breaths and rotate your head under so that your looking at the bottom.   

Slowly pull your top arm up alongside your body with your elbow sticking straight up, and your hand relaxed and in the water.  When your hand reaches your goggles, return it back to your side and rotate back up for a couple breaths, then repeat.

Usually I do one length on one side, and return on the other side.  This is also a great way to work on being able to breathe on both sides if you can’t already.  

Once your comfortable with that, you can try the finger drag drills.  This is essentially a regular swim stroke, but leave your fingers in the water the whole way as it goes from your hip to your head, then slice it into the water as normal.  This will also keep your elbow up, but will seem very natural after the shark fin drills. 

Hope that helps!  Fire away with any other questions!Smile

Edited by willie05 2007-06-13 7:16 AM
2007-06-13 8:37 AM
in reply to: #842149

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
willie05 - 2007-06-13 7:53 AM
gator22 - 2007-06-12 8:01 PM

Ok guys... no more Shark Week on the Discovery Channel. I am hereby forbidding you all from watching shark week.... go ride your bike instead.

That can't be right - I saw Jaws.

Laughing

That can't be right because I saw SHARK WEEK! 

2007-06-13 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Once your comfortable with that, you can try the finger drag drills. This is essentially a regular swim stroke, but leave your fingers in the water the whole way as it goes from your hip to your head, then slice it into the water as normal. This will also keep your elbow up, but will seem very natural after the shark fin drills.

Why do you want to drill with shark fin drills or the finger drag drills? I don't understand how this is beneficial.

2007-06-13 9:33 AM

User image

Avg bike speed is different for everyone.  There are lots of things that come into play here when you look at bike speeds.  For example:

The bike: road, mountain, tri, cruiser.  Wheels, aerobars, fit, position, aerodynamics, weight, rider (see below).

The engine (rider):  Power to weight ratio, fitness level, strength, form, position, male or female.

The terrain:  Elevation, flat or hills

There are tons more things here, but its hard to compare bike speeds with someone without taking into account all of the above factors.

I know my capabilities and I know the terrain I ride on.  I try to avg at least 20 mph.

2007-06-13 9:34 AM
in reply to: #842394

User image

grnidone - 2007-06-13 9:28 AM
Once your comfortable with that, you can try the finger drag drills. This is essentially a regular swim stroke, but leave your fingers in the water the whole way as it goes from your hip to your head, then slice it into the water as normal. This will also keep your elbow up, but will seem very natural after the shark fin drills.
Why do you want to drill with shark fin drills or the finger drag drills? I don't understand how this is beneficial.

It teaches you to keep your elbows high during recovery.  This is valuable in an OWS.

2007-06-13 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
It teaches you to keep your elbows high during recovery. This is valuable in an OWS.

*sigh*
OK. What's 'recovery' again? And OWS means......?

Is there a dictionary at beginner tri that will tell me all of these little pieces of information? There needs to be. Especially for the 500 acronyms.

< later > I just wrote to the management and requested a glossary. I feel better now.

Edited by grnidone 2007-06-13 9:47 AM
2007-06-13 9:45 AM
in reply to: #842418

User image

I believe "recovery" when referring to swimming, is when the hand/arm is coming from the back to the front after it has "done the work" of pulling during the stroke..

OWS = Open Water Swim

For an interesting read on factors that influence bike speed/performance there's a good article over on cervelo's site (cervelo makes bikes).

http://www.cervelo.com/content.aspx?m=Engineering&i=Aerodynamics

Rob
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 42