BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-02-14 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1103805

Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Open For a Few More
Hi Waterdog/Tim

You may remember me from Runnersworld forums Triathlete where I post as Cyndr04

Anyway If you are accepting new members to your group I would love to join in.

Some background info for the group:

I'm 44 and moved back to my home state of CA after many years in Wyoming and then Ohio. I just got a new job and will be moving to San Luis Obispo (Central California Coast) in the next month.

I have only done one tri in my life which was a sprint tri in 2006. I don't think it was the toughest field but I finished top 10 in my age group. No races last season due to moving/lack of funds. This year I hope to do a sprint or two in Spring, and olympic or two in late summer/Fall. Right now I am just building my base currently running about 6-8 miles, riding 25-35 miles, and I just got back into the pool this past week (focusing on drills and will work up to longer bouts of freestyle!

Running- I'm not very fast but I have run ever since I was a Sophmore in college. I completed the Big Sur Marathon in 2005 and hope to do it again in 2009.

Biking: My transportation as a kid. I think this is my best event. I replaced my circa 1981 30 lb + road bike with a modern road bike last spring! since I moved back to California I have been doing lots of hills in the Santa Monica mountains (so glad I have a triple!). I plan to ride with the local bike club when I move so this should be good for mileage.

Swimming: Grew up with a swimming pool in the back yard didn't really swim (as in trying to have good technique and cover any distance) until I decided to do that tri two years ago. I spent much of last year on TI drills and this has really helped. I still have a lot to learn but I have improved a lot and feel much more relaxed and efficient in the water.

I also enjoy alpine skiing, horseback riding, snowboarding, kayaking, camping, and backpacking. I like to do well in races but also don't take myself too seriously. Having fun is the most important thing!

2008-02-14 9:33 PM
in reply to: #1213493

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Mukluk - 2008-02-14 6:56 PM Hi Waterdog/Tim You may remember me from Runnersworld forums Triathlete where I post as Cyndr04 Anyway If you are accepting new members to your group I would love to join in.

Hey Cyndy, I sure do remember you

Glad to see that you made it over from RWOL. I think you will find more than a few friendly faces here at BT. (Susan, Carol, Tom, Donato, James, Jess and Jessi all post regularly here) I think everyone is using their same Monikers here.

Trisha and Jill have accounts here but don't post much.

If you look along the left side of my blog, you will find links to everyone's blogs. I am sure they would be happy to hear from you.  

Welcome to the group

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-02-14 9:35 PM
2008-02-14 9:58 PM

New user

Hey Tim, if you are still open to newcomers I'd like to join your group.

I'm extremely fresh to triathlon competitions, not really new to a multi sport environment. I've never competed in a triathlon before. I'm 22 and have been in the Marine Corps for almost 4 years so, so I'd say I'm at least a little above average as far as fitness goes. We do lots of mixed sport training sessions, and many high endurance activities, so my major limiter is just getting used to these specific sports and learning the process of triathlons. I'm limited in my race selection, being in Morocco, and want to test myself to an extreme limit, so I've selected the IronMan Western Australia (12/7/08) as my major race, and the Half Iron Man Monaco (9/7/08) to prepare for it this fall.

I'm in good shape on the bike and running, I do a couple of each type of work out a week, normally doing between 20 and 50 miles on the bike, and 3-8 mile runs.

Swimming is not so easy for me, I've never done much with it and am working on building up good endurance for it now.

I'm following Joe Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible to start my training plan, and from reading his books and talking to people, not a single person advises going from no triathlons to an Iron man in one season. So I am aware that this will be an extreme challenge, and I have every intention of living up to it.

If you'll take me I'm looking forward to working with your group.
2008-02-14 10:24 PM
in reply to: #1213656

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

serzkawpoije - 2008-02-14 7:58 PM Hey Tim, if you are still open to newcomers I'd like to join your group.

Welcome Wes

Sounds like some agressive goals but definitely not unheard of. If you check out this blog:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=19823

This is my friend Global and he (And His Wife) went from the couch to his first Full Ironman last season. The great news is that your coming from a very good base of fitness and so have a big head start.

oh, and if your getting some good mileage  out of TTB, also look at "Going Long", also co-written by Friel. (With Gordo Byrn) I got a lot of good info from both of these  books when I prepared for my first IM last year.

2008-02-14 10:30 PM

New user

Thanks Tim

I've got Going Long as well and have just recently began using it to help refine my training. I have no official plan set yet, but since I should still be in a transition/prep period I am okay with that. Basically I'm just working the most on saddle time, and trying to get some good runs and swims in each week too.
2008-02-14 10:38 PM

Fullerton, CA
Hello! I would like to join your group before the door slams shut!
I'm a 58 yr old grandmother. I have 3 daughters, ages 38, 25 and 21; 2 grandchildren ages 9 & 5, 2 cats and 5 chickens. I'm currently retired or unemployed depending on whatever spin is convenient, so I have a fair amount of time to train. I have done 2 sprints and 4 Olys. In my most recent Sprint (LA Area Danskin) I managed to place third, after someone got DQed. That came as a surprise a couple weeks after the race when I recieved a $75 coupon in the mail. Anyways, my goal for this year is to place in the top 5 in my age group in the WildFlower Oly. I have re-trained myself to swim using the TI method (book and video). I'm pretty lousey at running. I have rather short legs and heal spurs. Last year I was only able to start training for the run the last few weeks before WildFlower. This year, I have the heal spurs under pretty good control (I got prescription orthotic inserts, and I make sure to stretch my calf muscles thoroughly after every workout).
I pretty much stayed in shape this winter, but did put on about 12 pounds. I would like to take off 15-20 lbs, but I can't seem to get inspired to count calories, protein, carbs & fat. I've been hoping it would go away on its own if I just train a lot and don't over eat. (That works for my husband.) It worked for me when I was 48. I've started training with one of the BT Olympic training programs, its a pretty vigourous program, but I forget the name of it. Right after I started, I messed up something in my right shoulder moving our couch, so I had to make some modifications to lay off swimming for awhile. It still bothers me right after a swim or bike ride.
I would also like to do a Danskin Sprint this year (possibly the Chicagoland one-my nephew is getting married in Chicago a weekafter that race), and maybe the Big Kahouna in Santa Cruz. Kind of short on $$ due to my employment status. When I was working, it was hard to find time to train. Now I have time to train but the entry fees look knid of steep.
OK. Hope I didn't bore you with too many details.

Linda Vician

2008-02-14 10:49 PM
in reply to: #1213695

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

serzkawpoije - 2008-02-14 8:30 PM Thanks Tim I've got Going Long as well and have just recently began using it to help refine my training. I have no official plan set yet, but since I should still be in a transition/prep period I am okay with that. Basically I'm just working the most on saddle time, and trying to get some good runs and swims in each week too.

Sounds to me like your definitely on top of things

2008-02-14 10:52 PM
in reply to: #1213709

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

LJVician - 2008-02-14 8:38 PM Hello! I would like to join your group before the door slams shut! I'm a 58 yr old grandmother.

Welcome to the group Linda

Wildflower is a really great race. (I have done both the Olympic and the Long Course) Should be great fun this year although I am very dissapointed to be missing it this year. have also heard great things about Big Kahuna.

I think you will find a lot of BT folks doing both of these races this year. (Always nice to know folks at the race)

2008-02-14 11:00 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Wow how is yuor group not fill up! If I was mentoring my own group I would have been in here!!!!

You guys have an awesome mentor

2008-02-14 11:21 PM
in reply to: #1213745

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
kaqphin - 2008-02-14 9:00 PM

Wow how is yuor group not fill up! If I was mentoring my own group I would have been in here!!!!

Thanks Cat

We lost a few folks early in the process and decided to open it up for a few more. Your always welcome to come over and hang out any time

2008-02-15 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1213745

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
kaqphin - 2008-02-14 11:00 PM

Yeah, Cat - those of us who've been hanging around for a while knew to snap this guy up! 

Just wanted to put my quick welcome out to the new folks in the group - glad to have you here!

2008-02-15 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Big welcome to Linda, Cyndy and Wes

Maybe hold out for one or two more folks if that is OK with everyone.

I see the Introduction Forum is getting quite Chatty so maybe one or two of them will wander over to the Mentor Forum and sign up.

2008-02-15 12:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
The more the better. We need to liven up our postings a bit.

So here I am sitting sick and waiting for some of this crap to get out of my lungs so that I can hit the road with a vengance again and i am thinking..... Yeah a bad thing to do. Warning Random Thoughts Ahead

Running/Bike fitness is the key to a good IM. We spend the most time in these 2 areas then nutrition, then electrolytes then swimming. It is like a warm up to the real race. I wonder if there was a increase in the length of the swim if there would be a bigger push to decrease swim times or increase swim fitness......

Running - mid/fore/heal striking... . I have read a bunch on the topic and have decided that i am undecided. I understand the mechanics of forefoot strikes and the decrease road resistance, I have even ran a couple miles with my mind focusing on my foot strikes.....believe it or not my times dropped on just regular run by 15 - 40 seconds a mile with what seemed to be no increase in exertion..... was this just my mind or did it help my for,???? i dont know but my calves paid the price and hurt for 2 days after the run. (not so much that I could not run but enough to know that there would be no way I could do that for 26 miles with out proper training.)

Bikes... Why is that this is most peoples fav leg???? is it the speed? the freedom, or just the fact that you dont have to work as hard on a bike to have an "average speed" as you do to have an "average run" time. I do love my bike and am going to kill myself on it over the next few months in hope to ride my way to a decent run, even bought a new set of tires and a new helmet to help with a better aero position.

Nutrition on the bike and run of a full IM... I am still in the dark and have to start messing with this. I would like to live off the event on the run... I dont mind packing some food on the bike but I dont want to have to rely on a special needs bag so i am not sure what to do... I cant tolerate any type of protien in a drink... bloats me so I am guessing that I will be stuck with GE or something of the sort for my whole day.

I warned you ... random thoughts!
2008-02-15 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1214617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

baggyman - 2008-02-15 12:34 PM The more the better. We need to liven up our postings a bit. So here I am sitting sick and waiting for some of this crap to get out of my lungs so that I can hit the road with a vengance again and i am thinking..... Yeah a bad thing to do. Warning Random Thoughts Ahead Running/Bike fitness is the key to a good IM. We spend the most time in these 2 areas then nutrition, then electrolytes then swimming. It is like a warm up to the real race. I wonder if there was a increase in the length of the swim if there would be a bigger push to decrease swim times or increase swim fitness...... Running - mid/fore/heal striking... . I have read a bunch on the topic and have decided that i am undecided. I understand the mechanics of forefoot strikes and the decrease road resistance, I have even ran a couple miles with my mind focusing on my foot strikes.....believe it or not my times dropped on just regular run by 15 - 40 seconds a mile with what seemed to be no increase in exertion..... was this just my mind or did it help my for,???? i dont know but my calves paid the price and hurt for 2 days after the run. (not so much that I could not run but enough to know that there would be no way I could do that for 26 miles with out proper training.) Bikes... Why is that this is most peoples fav leg???? is it the speed? the freedom, or just the fact that you dont have to work as hard on a bike to have an "average speed" as you do to have an "average run" time. I do love my bike and am going to kill myself on it over the next few months in hope to ride my way to a decent run, even bought a new set of tires and a new helmet to help with a better aero position. Nutrition on the bike and run of a full IM... I am still in the dark and have to start messing with this. I would like to live off the event on the run... I dont mind packing some food on the bike but I dont want to have to rely on a special needs bag so i am not sure what to do... I cant tolerate any type of protien in a drink... bloats me so I am guessing that I will be stuck with GE or something of the sort for my whole day. I warned you ... random thoughts!

Random, but good ones, Chris.  And I agree - we need to get our postings up a bit.

As far as forefoot strike, I agree with you.  I've read a bit about it, tried the whole Chi running thing, and started having knee pain that I'd never had before in 10 odd years of running.  What I took out of it was keeping weight forward and incorporating my torso/arms into my run stride.  I try to focus on that now, rather than worrying about what part of my foot is striking.

The bike... I don't know why the bike is so many people's favorite part.  I'm not a true "biker" yet, but I do recognize that I seem to have more than typical speed for a relative newbie, so I'm trying to use that.  I think that a lot of bikers get into triathlon (because they've already crossed the major bike purchase threshold), so you have a disproportionate percentage of passionate bikers vs. the other sports' enthusiasts.

I've read several IM race reports (just because I find the idea of it fascinating, even though I don't know if I'll ever get to that level myself), and I wonder if reviewing some of those might not be helpful for beginning to get an idea of different nutritional plans and how they worked/didn't in the race setting.  I really look forward to seeing how it goes for you, Chris, and hope you feel better soon!

2008-02-15 1:57 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Great stuff Chris

FWIW: I am a forefoot striker (Quite obvious in my running photos) and it definitely does save me from some grief because I am also an under-pronator. (It takes a bit of the running stress off of my shins)

But, it does make me more prone to Metatarsalgia and also Metatarsal Stress Fractures. (Especially if I let my shoes go flat) Something that Pfitz recommends is that if you running form is a bit wonky, (Epecially the stride) try a bit of barefoot running. (I do a bit of this and it does help)

I am personally not a big fan of messing with running form simply because what you have is what works for you and your bio-mechanics.

As for race nutrition:

My initial approach to race nutrition was forged in marathon training and was totally and completely inadequate for long course triathlons. I could be casual about it with the Oly but I bonked at mile 11 of the run in my first HIM. (Warm Flat Cola saved me that day)

What I figured out works best for me is this:

Water: Bike Bottle An Hour (Or Cup every water stop)
Food: 1 Clif Bar Every Hour
Carbs: 1 Gu every 30 minutes (Or 4 Miles, which ever comes first)

If my intensity goes beyond my LT on the run, I will usually switch to Gu every 15 minutes or 2 miles. (Usually 2 miles comes first in an HM

This approach worked very well for me at LP last year and I plan on using it again for CdA and Cal 70.3.

The funny thing is, I now use this plan for marathons and my friends think I am nuts eating that much out on the course. (On friend of mine does marathons on nothing but a few sips of water at the half way point but her best time is 2:47)

One of my training partners suggested something very interesting for LP last year. She said to plan for my nutrition to not work and throw a bunch of alternatives in my SN bags. If things go well, it will feed the homeless. If not, it will save my bacon.

The idea is to stash something that is totally different from what you normally race and train with. I put Fig Newtons and Apple Juice in my bag but never ended up needing it. My Nutrition worked well for me.  

2008-02-15 3:51 PM

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Subject: Thanks Krisitn!

Ok, thanks for the kick in the pants Kristin. Embarassed (See my log today)

When things go well its all "look what I've done", but when things don't go so well, I've got nothing but excuses. Yea, I haven't felt so good... kinda had a little cold with a cough... kinda felt run down... have the winter indoor cabin fever feeling (frumpy).

ENOUGH! Kristin is right! (see inspire me post today)

Momentum works both ways, and just like physics, it moves faster on the way down! You're right, I've been struggling. I could say, "Life" is getting in the way, but THE TRUTH IS...

Are you ready?

I suck at prioritizing my time. I procrastinate and I'm lazy.

However, I want so bad to not burn out and make it. I don't know why its such a struggle. Anyway, thanks for the constructive criticism. Like Elton John said... I'm Still Standin'.  (Does that date me a little?) Sealed

2008-02-15 6:44 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Have a great weekend everyone.

Hopefully everyone has Monday off and can take some extra time for themselves.

Train Well

2008-02-16 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1215128

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
Subject: RE: Thanks Krisitn!
VooDreu - 2008-02-15 3:51 PM

I suck at prioritizing my time. I procrastinate and I'm lazy.

You are SO not alone at sucking at prioritizing.  I had a huge list of workouts to do this week that Coach sent out on Sunday.  7 in 7 days.  Doesn't sound too unreasonable.  But then life gets in the way, I get lazy, and I push it all off until the very last minute.  So now I am sitting here at day 7, with a 2500 meter swim (my first, I'll have you know-- I will be like Gumby at the end), a 60 minute high intensity bike, and a 90-minute bike with hills still left to do.   Now, I am going to brick a swim and a short bike in about a half hour here, but I really think the 90 minute ride is going to fall  by the wayside.  Ugh!!  If I had not taken Monday off and done a spin class, I would not be in the predicament I am in right now.  So frustrating......my race in April is going to kick my rear, so it doesn't help that I'm 7 weeks out and skip a workout.

Anyway, just had to vent!  Glad to see more faces here.  We should try to keep it lively!

So, does anyone have any good brick or two-a-day recommendations?  I've only ever done bike-run and swim-run, although since I work at night, swim-bike, run-bike, or run-walk will probably be the only things I'll be able to do given the very limited amount of sunlight left after work.  Can you actually get meaningful workouts in if you go twice a day?  Does the 2nd one get the shaft and have to be low intensity?  Would love to hear how you guys make it work....

Have a great weekend.

2008-02-16 10:48 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

At the end of the day, we can only do what we can within the confines of our other life commitments.

sometimes, (For me anyway), the urge to stay in bed or sit on the couch is just a subtle reminder that I may need some downtime. For me anyway, training is not the only thing in my life that requires recovery time.

As for two-a-days and Bricks, let me go dig up Going Long. There are some great indoor workouts in the book that I have used when time becomes a factor.

2008-02-17 11:50 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Bricks and Doubles

Most all of my bricks are really just transition runs after a good ride. I have done a few cycle sessions before a planned run, but this is usually a recovery technique. (To shake the legs out)

As for doubles; I am usually doing 2 disciplines every day. I typically have a morning and an evening workout slot and the key for me is to insure proper recovery from the morning session when heading into the evening session.

Also making sure the evening session does not impact the following morning's session. After doing doubles for a while, the body seems to get the idea and 8 hours is plenty of time to recover.

Here are a few brick workouts that I use: 

10 Mile Easy Spin on the bike: 10 Mile General Aerobic Run
30-50 Mile Moderate Effort Ride: 8 Mile General Aerobic Run (First 2 @ Recovery)
5 Mile Moderate Effort Ride, 2 Mile Moderate Effort Run. (Transition back to bike and repeat)

50-100 Mile Ride: 5 Mile Transition Run (Recovery Pace Run)

Indoor Brick Workouts from Going Long:

Session 1: 

Run: 30 Minutes (Recovery Pace + Strides)
Bike: 120 Minutes (60 Easy, 60 Steady)
Run: 45 Minutes( 15 Recovery, 15 General Aerobic, 15 Recovery)

Session 2: 

Bike:45 (Progression from Easy to Mod-Hard)
Run: 30 (Progression from Recovery - General Aerobic)

Repeat this Cycle as many times as you wish

Session 3:

Bike: 60 Minutes Steady Effort
Run: 30 Minutes General Aerobic
Bike: 45 Minutes Steady Effort
Run: 20 Minutes General Aerobic

Repeat the progression and increase intensity with each cycle

I think the hardest part of bricks and doubles is insuring that it does not impact the following day's planned workout. If I do find myself in a situation where I hit a workout too hard and I am not ready for the following day, I will not hesitate to rework my plan. (Either bag the workout or convert to active recovery)

Hope this helps

2008-02-17 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

Tim--

Thanks for posting that!  It looks like your "breakthrough" workouts are standalones.....and your aerobic, somewhat easier workouts are the ones you can double up on.

I stupidly did a tough 1-hour spin class followed by a 2500 meter swim set (the latter was a breakthrough session for me) yesterday morning, and I was useless in the water.  Much slower than usual, my knees ached, and I barely made it through.  Today, I felt sluggish and weak.  Live and learn, I suppose.

This week's challenge will be fitting everything in when I have to go to DC for 5 days and live out of a hotel!

Have a good Sunday....and thanks again for the post.

2008-02-18 12:55 PM
in reply to: #1216981

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
mtngirlincali - 2008-02-17 12:05 PM

This week's challenge will be fitting everything in when I have to go to DC for 5 days and live out of a hotel!

Good luck with your business travel and "On The Road" training

2008-02-18 12:57 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Week 7: 2008

So how did everyone's week go

Hopefully most everyone has today off and is getting an extra bit of rest and maybe also a bit of training in.

Weclome again to our new group members. I will post an updated set of links later today when I get back from my ride.

Question of the Week:

What brand of Running Shoes and Socks do you wear?

Hope everyone has a good week

2008-02-18 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1218455

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Subject: RE: Week 7: 2008

I'm working today... but I don't mind.  My poor son probably does - he's off school and I didn't make any plans for him, so it's a very mellow day where he plays/reads and I work.

Shoes/socks...  I have messed around with several different shoes, and then last November I did something that I highly recommend for anyone who's had any recurrent leg/low back issues (which I had - years of low back issues, from the time I was in college playing vball and actually had it checked out by an ortho).  I went to a tri/running shop and had a gait analysis done. 

I have a leg length differential of 9 mm which has never, from the ortho through various PTs and chiropractors, been diagnosed.  I also had thought for years that I pronate, but that has actually changed over time and I now supinate on one side (likely due to the leg length issue).  So the stability shoes I was using weren't working at all for me.  I'm now in old school Adidas Boston Classics with arch inserts and a lift on one heel and I feel like a new woman.  No more back pain, no issues with my IT band - seriously, it's been like a miracle.

For socks, I prefer Smartwool.  I never realized what a difference socks could make until I started running longer distances and getting blisters.  There's a reason people swear by wool!

I had a great weekend of training and am feeling back on track.  Hope everyone else is doing well, too! 

2008-02-18 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1218455

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Week 7: 2008
Week was bad bad bad. Ended up with the flu and that put the stop to all training. Was couch ridden for 3 days unable to muster the strength to even get the remote. I am feeling somewhat better but now i think i have bronchitis.. bad cough.

On the bright side I did do the Chandler sprint, the only way I wasnt going to do it was to be in the hospital.

200y swim 10.5 mi bike and a 2.5 mile run.

ended 1st in my age and 7th overall with a time of 50:38

swim was 4:25 (with run to transition)
bike was 28:08 (with 2 transitions included)
run was 17:03

I wish i was a better runner. Missed the top 5 awards by 1:30 and there is a ton of improvment area in my run times.
But all in all it went well esp since I had a hard time breathing the whole way
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14