BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-08-11 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3038471

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
tri808 - 2010-08-11 9:24 PM
DirkP - 2010-08-11 3:46 PM

12 mile run slated for Friday with a 50 mile ride on Saturday.  What's everyone else have on the training agenda?

Going for a 9ish mile run soon. 

Also have a 100 mile ride planned for Saturday.  In order to eat 300 calories per hour as David suggested, I planned a couple stops through the McDonald's drive through along my route.  JK.

LOL He said 300, NOT 3000. 

100 miles seems crazy to me but I am sure I will get there sometime so, "never say never" I guess.

2010-08-11 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

what?  Big Mac, fries, and a large coke is 300 calories right?  LOL

My plan is to bring 2 cliff bars (500 total calories), 3 packs of shot bloks (630 calories), 2 GUs (200 calories) and 3 packets of gatorade mix (225 calories).  I plan to be out for 6 hours, so that's about 260 per hour.  I'll also have a 500 calorie post ride recovery drink in a cooler in my car.

What's funy is that I could drive 100 miles and it would probably cost me the same amount of money in "fuel".
2010-08-11 11:20 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Of course, every super sized meal from McDonalds is low cal as long as you order it with a DIET coke... and extra ranch dipping sauce 

Running 5 miles tomorrow
Doing some kind of swim Fri
1st 10K on Sat
Repeat of 38 mile bike ride that killed me last week on Sun

J-Have fun on your 100 mile ride!

Edited by jpbis26 2010-08-11 11:21 PM
2010-08-11 11:34 PM
in reply to: #3038564

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
tri808 - 2010-08-12 11:17 AM what?  Big Mac, fries, and a large coke is 300 calories right?  LOL

My plan is to bring 2 cliff bars (500 total calories), 3 packs of shot bloks (630 calories), 2 GUs (200 calories) and 3 packets of gatorade mix (225 calories).  I plan to be out for 6 hours, so that's about 260 per hour.  I'll also have a 500 calorie post ride recovery drink in a cooler in my car.

What's funy is that I could drive 100 miles and it would probably cost me the same amount of money in "fuel".

500 calorie post ride recovery drink?  They have those here in Japan too - 1 liter cans of beer. 
2010-08-11 11:36 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Anyway, I just did a 7.5 km run in weather that sounds identical to Dirk's.   I'm off to the pool soon to get in 1500 meters or so.   I have a couple more days of training before my taper starts - last tri of this year is on Aug 22.
2010-08-12 2:28 AM

User image

Finished my 9.2 mile run.  It was really the first time I just ran blind without looking at a watch.  It was kind of nice.  I actually used my garmin 500 cycling computer to track my time, but just put it in a ziplock bag and in my pocket. 

I ran kind of slow without any motivation, but I think my legs were still trashed from yesterday's interval session and last weekend's sufferfest on the bike.  Still managed 10:22 miles...which is about what I was shooting for all things considered.

2010-08-12 6:41 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
My main goal is IM Lake Placid 2012.  I need someone with experience to help me get my run times down without getting injured.  I'm working on that slowly now, but feel like I'm missing key points, which I chock up to pure lack of experience.  Could I train myself to finish the race by that point?  Probably, but it won't be pretty.

I know that if I can get my run times down, I can also look at being a pretty good age group contender, which is my second goal.
2010-08-12 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Woooohoooo! 100 pages!!!!

For this weekend's training - not sure yet. Steve (Hubby) has been out of town all week so I have had to suffer on the trainer.  He gets back tonight but immediately has a "reception" to go to followed by a weekend conference followed by a week long trip starting Sunday to AK. So..... besides watching the kiddos and working - looks like I am stuck on the trainer til school starts. not happy! Plus my next tri is on Sept 11 and I was really wanting to get my volumes up before then - it looks like I am going to have to chalk this tri up to gaining experience - doubt I will have any PR's.

2010-08-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3038846

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
jgerbodegrant - 2010-08-12 6:41 AM My main goal is IM Lake Placid 2012.  I need someone with experience to help me get my run times down without getting injured.  I'm working on that slowly now, but feel like I'm missing key points, which I chock up to pure lack of experience.  Could I train myself to finish the race by that point?  Probably, but it won't be pretty.

I know that if I can get my run times down, I can also look at being a pretty good age group contender, which is my second goal.

Wow - you're going for an IM!!! I think I would get a coach especially if I was not only wanting to complete but compete in an IM. I think if nothing else it would help you stay motivated and keep you "honest". Whether to go for the $100 or $250 coach, I guess it depends on how much you think you will need him/her. IMHO though it seems you get a lot more coaching for the more expensive coach for the price.
2010-08-12 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3038752

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
tri808 - 2010-08-12 2:28 AM Finished my 9.2 mile run.  It was really the first time I just ran blind without looking at a watch.  It was kind of nice.  I actually used my garmin 500 cycling computer to track my time, but just put it in a ziplock bag and in my pocket. 

I ran kind of slow without any motivation, but I think my legs were still trashed from yesterday's interval session and last weekend's sufferfest on the bike.  Still managed 10:22 miles...which is about what I was shooting for all things considered.

J - good luck with your 100 miler this weekend! 

I always enjoy running with everything turned off (especially when trail running) and sometimes I am surprised with my times being better than I thought they would be.
2010-08-12 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3038752

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tri808 - 2010-08-12 3:28 AM Finished my 9.2 mile run.  It was really the first time I just ran blind without looking at a watch.  It was kind of nice.  I actually used my garmin 500 cycling computer to track my time, but just put it in a ziplock bag and in my pocket. 

That sounds awesome to me.  I thought you were sticking to biking for the summer?

2010-08-12 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3039793

User image

jgerbodegrant - 2010-08-12 7:38 AM
tri808 - 2010-08-12 3:28 AM Finished my 9.2 mile run.  It was really the first time I just ran blind without looking at a watch.  It was kind of nice.  I actually used my garmin 500 cycling computer to track my time, but just put it in a ziplock bag and in my pocket. 

That sounds awesome to me.  I thought you were sticking to biking for the summer?

I am...but I'm trying to also transition to marathon training.  My 112 mile bike race is on Sept 5th...so my bike focus is almost over.  I'm just trying to get my base miles in this month (around 20-25) so I can transition into marathon training in September.

Running is my clear weakness...so I think a December marathon will give me incentive to put more miles in.  I did the same marathon last year...but this year I'm not concerned about how fast I do it. I just want to put in miles to help prepare me for my HIM in June 2011.
2010-08-12 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3039478

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
robingray_260 - 2010-08-12 11:14 AM
tri808 - 2010-08-12 2:28 AM Finished my 9.2 mile run.  It was really the first time I just ran blind without looking at a watch.  It was kind of nice.  I actually used my garmin 500 cycling computer to track my time, but just put it in a ziplock bag and in my pocket. 

J - good luck with your 100 miler this weekend! 

I always enjoy running with everything turned off (especially when trail running) and sometimes I am surprised with my times being better than I thought they would be.

I always think about doing this but I can never convince myself to leave the watch at home.  I have heard a lot of people say it really takes the pressure off to just run.  I seem to always have to be training and can't let it go.  I may try a couple of runs like this after I am done with my marathon but I am not going to make any commitments because I know how I am.

2010-08-12 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
When to talk last night that my running group had. Really good! Guy talked about preventing injury, proper recovery,stretching before & after running, icing, showed us how to use a foam roller on major muscles in the legs. Def learned some good stuff. Looks like I'm gonna have to start showing up to running group more often

I missed the running group when I was out of town and haven't been back since due to deciding to ride with friends instead during that time. But I figure I'll be ok if I go every other week, as I've been pretty good at consistently running during the week on my own or with Jamie.

Got a new jogging stroller off of craigslist. I would love to have a BOB (believe me I could talk about baby strollers like some guys on this site talk about tri bikes), but I just can't justify spending the money. Even the ones on craigslist are like $250. But I got a decent Baby Trends one (paid $50) and it rides pretty smooth & is somewhat compact.

Still looking for a bike trainer. I've been checking craigslist for a couple months with no success. Why do people think you'll by their used stuff for so much money? Anyhow, I've met some more local cyclists, think I'm gonna start asking around. Hopefully, I 'll get something soon. I'm in the same situation as Robin. I'm home a lot with the kids by myself. I could get in a workout during my kids naps or after their bedtime if I had a trainer.
2010-08-12 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3038846

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2010-08-12 7:41 AM My main goal is IM Lake Placid 2012.  I need someone with experience to help me get my run times down without getting injured.  I'm working on that slowly now, but feel like I'm missing key points, which I chock up to pure lack of experience.  Could I train myself to finish the race by that point?  Probably, but it won't be pretty.

Dude, you have 2 years to prep for that race.  You have plenty of time to get some serious training and knock the crap out of those times.  I don't think your run times are horrible anyway.  Sure they could improve but that's just some hard work and I think you said you were going to add some runs to your weekly schedule just a while ago.  Like David said, if you ramp your mileage up each week you WILL get faster by default.  One good thing about the coach, and you pointed this out already, you may be less likely to overtrain and injure yourself by using a coach.

As far as the pretty thing, I think 2 years is a long way out.  Enough out that you could be very respectable in your AG.  I thikn the bigger question is...........Are you trying to Kona qualify?  If so, the coach might be an absolute necessity since you have not done an IM before.

2010-08-12 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3040874

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2010-08-12 6:34 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2010-08-12 7:41 AM My main goal is IM Lake Placid 2012.  I need someone with experience to help me get my run times down without getting injured.  I'm working on that slowly now, but feel like I'm missing key points, which I chock up to pure lack of experience.  Could I train myself to finish the race by that point?  Probably, but it won't be pretty.

Dude, you have 2 years to prep for that race.  You have plenty of time to get some serious training and knock the crap out of those times.  I don't think your run times are horrible anyway.  Sure they could improve but that's just some hard work and I think you said you were going to add some runs to your weekly schedule just a while ago.  Like David said, if you ramp your mileage up each week you WILL get faster by default.  One good thing about the coach, and you pointed this out already, you may be less likely to overtrain and injure yourself by using a coach.

As far as the pretty thing, I think 2 years is a long way out.  Enough out that you could be very respectable in your AG.  I thikn the bigger question is...........Are you trying to Kona qualify?  If so, the coach might be an absolute necessity since you have not done an IM before.

Thanks man, I appreciate the optimism.  I am not trying to Kona qualify, although it would be nice...it's not really a goal of mine right now.  I am more or less trying to find someone to teach me and guide me through all the important things that I would have to learn myself.  Unfortunately I don't have the time to read enough on the subject.  If I could drop weekend overtime at work, then I could fit it in.  Right now the money is all too worth it with house hunting. 

I have added some more running into my weekly schedule and will continue it more after Timberman 70.3.  My goal in the "off season" is to ramp up my run mileage.  I want to take some time off the bike and out of the pool...at least a few weeks...so that I look forward to getting back on the bike and back into the pool. 

2010-08-12 9:33 PM

User image

LOL...you sound just like me.  I'm planning for an IM in 2012 as well (unless I win the Kona lottery in 2011...).  I know run fitness does not happen overnight...so 2 years is not that long IMO to get from where I am now (3:58 open marathon)...to where I want to be (3:30 open marathon).  If all I did was run...then yeah, that's plenty of time.  But throw in hours in the pool and on the bike and it gets a bit tough.

2010-08-13 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3040864

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
jpbis26 - 2010-08-12 5:28 PM When to talk last night that my running group had. Really good! Guy talked about preventing injury, proper recovery,stretching before & after running, icing, showed us how to use a foam roller on major muscles in the legs. Def learned some good stuff. Looks like I'm gonna have to start showing up to running group more often

I missed the running group when I was out of town and haven't been back since due to deciding to ride with friends instead during that time. But I figure I'll be ok if I go every other week, as I've been pretty good at consistently running during the week on my own or with Jamie.

Got a new jogging stroller off of craigslist. I would love to have a BOB (believe me I could talk about baby strollers like some guys on this site talk about tri bikes), but I just can't justify spending the money. Even the ones on craigslist are like $250. But I got a decent Baby Trends one (paid $50) and it rides pretty smooth & is somewhat compact.

Still looking for a bike trainer. I've been checking craigslist for a couple months with no success. Why do people think you'll by their used stuff for so much money? Anyhow, I've met some more local cyclists, think I'm gonna start asking around. Hopefully, I 'll get something soon. I'm in the same situation as Robin. I'm home a lot with the kids by myself. I could get in a workout during my kids naps or after their bedtime if I had a trainer.

Yep, the trainer (as much as I hate it) is a necessity for me.  Otherwise, I would be running in place or doing a video of some sort (which to me sounds even worse). My trainer is not an expensive one and I think for what you are wanting you don't need a fancy one either. I wonder if used trainer prices will go down now that summer is over or up b/c a lot of people rely on them in the winter? Maybe you should check out websites from cheaper online bike stores (such as Bike Nashbar or Performance Bicycle) to see if they have any 2010 clearance models.
2010-08-13 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks, Robin! I will look on those sites.
2010-08-13 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3041858

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jpbis26 - 2010-08-13 10:35 AM Thanks, Robin! I will look on those sites.

I got my "drainer" off craigslist.  The guy was asking $100 but I got it for $80.  It is a low end model too, but it has been serving it's purpose when I have had to use it.  David has has some killer workouts for the drainer.  They have really helped by bike speed and endurance.

I just got my long run for the week in, 12 miles in 1:43:27 (8:37 avg.).  This felt really good today.  The first mile was a little bit difficult but  that is the norm while I am trying to get into a groove.  I had 2 pretty slow miles but I had to alter my route because the path I was running on was getting some repairs done.  I had to kinda feel my way through for about a half mile and do a little bit of walking because I was along side some R/R tracks in the stones.  Then I had kind of the same thing on the way back but that time was a bit faster because I knew where I was going.

I really enjoyed this run today!  I am not really sure why, it just felt good.  Sometimes you just feel it I guess, even though it's not fast or anything, it's just a groove or something.  I didn't feel the "high" I sometimes feel but I could tell it wasn't far away.

50 mile ride tomorrow.

2010-08-14 9:59 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Dirk, that's a legit run my man.  If you could sell me some of that talent, that would be great, thank you.

2010-08-14 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Just finished my 1st 10k (1:06:32). DFL, but Dirk was right, I was able to run the entire thing (even if some of that running was at a walking pace ). I liked having the HR monitor because it helped me pace myself. Overall, I'm really happy about it.
2010-08-14 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3043623

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jpbis26 - 2010-08-14 12:06 PM Just finished my 1st 10k (1:06:32). DFL, but Dirk was right, I was able to run the entire thing (even if some of that running was at a walking pace ). I liked having the HR monitor because it helped me pace myself. Overall, I'm really happy about it.

I knew you could do it!  Just a little bit of determination and commitment and it all works out.  Keep that training going and you can have an awesome 10k next year at the same race if you choose to do it.  I think you could be under 10 min. miles next year, easy!

Johnathon, if I could sell some of the little talent I have it would be very expensive.  You probably should stick to the coach, he'll be much cheaper. LOL

I just had my longest ride ever.  52 miles in 2:54:45 for a 17.9 avg.  I am pleased with my effort.  I tried not to push hard since it was an additional 10 miles farther than I have ever ridden and I had my long run yesterday.  My legs are a bit sore from the run but nothing much more than usual after my long runs.  The ride had some rollers (for around her) in it that I wasn't expecting but they had little effect on the ride.  The total climbing, according to the mapping, was 705 feet mostly in the middle of the ride.  I am pretty envious of some of you who have some hills to work on.  Oh well, it's northern Indiana.

2010-08-14 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Great Job w/ your 10k Jackie!!!  I agree by next year you will have no problem doing that same run in under an hour.

For my run today I was able to run 5 miles in under an hour for the first time ever in a workout! Now if I can just get some consistency in my running routine!
2010-08-14 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3043647

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
DirkP - 2010-08-14 11:32 AM
jpbis26 - 2010-08-14 12:06 PM Just finished my 1st 10k (1:06:32). DFL, but Dirk was right, I was able to run the entire thing (even if some of that running was at a walking pace ). I liked having the HR monitor because it helped me pace myself. Overall, I'm really happy about it.

I knew you could do it!  Just a little bit of determination and commitment and it all works out.  Keep that training going and you can have an awesome 10k next year at the same race if you choose to do it.  I think you could be under 10 min. miles next year, easy!

Johnathon, if I could sell some of the little talent I have it would be very expensive.  You probably should stick to the coach, he'll be much cheaper. LOL

I just had my longest ride ever.  52 miles in 2:54:45 for a 17.9 avg.  I am pleased with my effort.  I tried not to push hard since it was an additional 10 miles farther than I have ever ridden and I had my long run yesterday.  My legs are a bit sore from the run but nothing much more than usual after my long runs.  The ride had some rollers (for around her) in it that I wasn't expecting but they had little effect on the ride.  The total climbing, according to the mapping, was 705 feet mostly in the middle of the ride.  I am pretty envious of some of you who have some hills to work on.  Oh well, it's northern Indiana.

Great job with your ride Dirk! I hope to get up to that kind of mileage someday!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105