General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-04-12 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
I know this has been talked about some.  So forgive the repeat.  However, I have made a bit of a mistake.  I bought (great deal 135 new) the xterra vortex 3 full suit months back.  It felt good on out of the water. however, after 2 swims I now feel the stiffness in the shoulders of a cheaper suit.  I spent 50 minutes in a open water swim tonight and feel like I got out of the gym with an intense shoulder workout.  Like many i am somewhat fed up with the constant outflow of $.  I have a good fit in my xterra vortex 3 sleeveless.  I swam 2 short 30 minute swims last year at CDA in this suit.  Cold bit not miserable.  However, I did not spend the 1:45 that I will spend in it this year.  Those great ones that have done this race multiple times - am I asking for trouble not renting a "good" full suit for the race?  I am thinking of wearing the sleevless and buying the sleeves talked about earlier.  Thanks in advance for the input.

2011-04-12 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3443301

User image

Elite
SE
can you call them and explain your issue and see what they say to do? it may be worth a shot as i think they are big on customer service.
2011-04-12 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3443301

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

kstater39 - 2011-04-12 8:37 PM I know this has been talked about some.  So forgive the repeat.  However, I have made a bit of a mistake.  I bought (great deal 135 new) the xterra vortex 3 full suit months back.  It felt good on out of the water. however, after 2 swims I now feel the stiffness in the shoulders of a cheaper suit.  I spent 50 minutes in a open water swim tonight and feel like I got out of the gym with an intense shoulder workout.  Like many i am somewhat fed up with the constant outflow of $.  I have a good fit in my xterra vortex 3 sleeveless.  I swam 2 short 30 minute swims last year at CDA in this suit.  Cold bit not miserable.  However, I did not spend the 1:45 that I will spend in it this year.  Those great ones that have done this race multiple times - am I asking for trouble not renting a "good" full suit for the race?  I am thinking of wearing the sleevless and buying the sleeves talked about earlier.  Thanks in advance for the input.

I'll forgive you bringing up the discussion again if you'll indulge me the same questions I asked last time.  Are you 100% positive you:
1) have the correct size, and
2) took the time to put on the suit correctly?

Those would be the first two places I would look.  If your discomfort is in the pool, I'd also try in an OW swim as well... it's possible the suit is getting scrunched up (undoing what you were careful about when you put it on correctly) when you do your turns and then tugging in the shoulders.  It might work out well with a steady effort without all the summersaults.

Agree that Xterra might be willing to help you out.  It also might just be a matter of making a training adaptation, as with anything else.  When you first make a positive correction to your swim stroke it might feel uncomfortable and even be slower... but as you rehearse it the efficiency increases and eventually you don't feel it and it's faster.  IMO even the entry level suits available today (if fitted properly and donned properly) offer sufficient shoulder flexibility to as not pose a real problem.  YMMV, of course.

2011-04-12 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3443441

User image

Veteran
Dallas
JoshKaptur - 2011-04-12 8:54 PM

kstater39 - 2011-04-12 8:37 PM I know this has been talked about some.  So forgive the repeat.  However, I have made a bit of a mistake.  I bought (great deal 135 new) the xterra vortex 3 full suit months back.  It felt good on out of the water. however, after 2 swims I now feel the stiffness in the shoulders of a cheaper suit.  I spent 50 minutes in a open water swim tonight and feel like I got out of the gym with an intense shoulder workout.  Like many i am somewhat fed up with the constant outflow of $.  I have a good fit in my xterra vortex 3 sleeveless.  I swam 2 short 30 minute swims last year at CDA in this suit.  Cold bit not miserable.  However, I did not spend the 1:45 that I will spend in it this year.  Those great ones that have done this race multiple times - am I asking for trouble not renting a "good" full suit for the race?  I am thinking of wearing the sleevless and buying the sleeves talked about earlier.  Thanks in advance for the input.

I'll forgive you bringing up the discussion again if you'll indulge me the same questions I asked last time.  Are you 100% positive you:
1) have the correct size, and
2) took the time to put on the suit correctly?

Those would be the first two places I would look.  If your discomfort is in the pool, I'd also try in an OW swim as well... it's possible the suit is getting scrunched up (undoing what you were careful about when you put it on correctly) when you do your turns and then tugging in the shoulders.  It might work out well with a steady effort without all the summersaults.

Agree that Xterra might be willing to help you out.  It also might just be a matter of making a training adaptation, as with anything else.  When you first make a positive correction to your swim stroke it might feel uncomfortable and even be slower... but as you rehearse it the efficiency increases and eventually you don't feel it and it's faster.  IMO even the entry level suits available today (if fitted properly and donned properly) offer sufficient shoulder flexibility to as not pose a real problem.  YMMV, of course.

I've done 4 OWS thus far in my full and I'm totally fine with it now.  The trick for me was to make sure I get the sleeves pulled up my wrist 2-3 inches and to get that extra slack all the way up to my shoulders.  I did that for my last two swims and I'm totally fine with it.  I only knew sleeveless for 2 years so the adjustment for me, I think, was more mental.  Plus, I bought the most flexible suit I could find.  The ever so fragile Vendetta.   

2011-04-12 10:50 PM

Master
, California

IMO even the entry level suits available today (if fitted properly and donned properly) offer sufficient shoulder flexibility to as not pose a real problem.  YMMV, of course.

I agree with this.  The biggest difference in most of the pricey suits is that they have thicker neoprene in the legs to help with your position in the water.

Also agree with what 3Aims just wrote.  Work from the ankles up to your waist on the legs and then work those sleeves up a bit above your wrists.  That'll get you a little roll of slack in the suit to work upward and increase freedom of motion in your shoulders. 

2011-04-12 11:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA

Figured it was high time I started making some kind of effort in the swim part of this endeavor. 

So, tonight I went to the pool and did a nice comfortable 3300 yards in 55:50 (all I could get in before the pool shut down) and was pretty happy with that considering I've swam less than 10k yards in the last 4 months. 

That pace puts me at around 1:12 for the 2.4 (yes, I'm aware there are lots of other factors in open water, but in races  tend to be faster anyways) and I'd be perfectly stoked with a time like that.

Woot.

2011-04-12 11:58 PM
in reply to: #3443128

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

I don't know if any other Seattle-area people have seen probcast.com, but it's a website run by the UW Atmospheric Sciences department.  

Thanks for the great link!  I see it's even got some help for me down here in Olympia.

Brad

2011-04-13 6:29 AM

User image

Regular

So I am off to NOLA 70.3 tomorrow (with a stop in Dallas first). I am very excited for this race. I did it last year, and I will feel much better having done a race before IMCdA. Once I get back, 1 week of rest/recovery and then the work begins again! For those of you doing NOLA, have a great race

2011-04-13 7:11 AM

User image

Elite
SE

Good luck to all you racing NOLA this weekend! Please don't injure yourself when the big show is getting oh so close. Remember this is a long training day; not an A race.

2011-04-13 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA

thanks for the advice.  Will try some more swims.  However, I know the fit is close on the rest of my body.  I did pull the sleeves up and try to give the shoulders as much room as possible on both swims.  If, things do not work out with the suit - would love those locals or multi racers to just give me the warm fuzzy or the don't do it on the sleeveless.  Thanks again

Ben

2011-04-13 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3443903

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
kstater39 - 2011-04-13 9:07 AM

thanks for the advice.  Will try some more swims.  However, I know the fit is close on the rest of my body.  I did pull the sleeves up and try to give the shoulders as much room as possible on both swims.  If, things do not work out with the suit - would love those locals or multi racers to just give me the warm fuzzy or the don't do it on the sleeveless.  Thanks again

Ben

Making sure the wetsuit is on correctly is critical to a proper fit. I was embarrassed to go into the local tri store and ask if my current suit fit to find out that I was never putting in on properly. If you do not have it pulled up all the way to your groin, and make sure the legs are on properly, you will never have enough room in the arms and shoulders. Now that I know how to put it on right, I know that a larger suit would just be too big.

Try and find some good youtube videos on putting on wetsuits and practice pulling it up right on the legs. It will make a world of difference.

2011-04-13 11:26 AM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
I'm working in Manhattan next week...anyone know about good/local pool options?
2011-04-13 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3444371

User image

Elite
SE

How about the Hudson river!?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_River

2011-04-13 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
2011-04-13 12:24 PM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT

Good luck Lea and everyone else racing NOLA or another race this weekend!

I'll be doing a HIM in Lake Mead.  I'm looking at a cold swim a hilly ride and a hot run. Squeee!  I know it's a training day and not a "race" day, but I'm excited to do an OWS and have my tri bike out on the road.

I also imported my training logs here, so if you've tried to stalk me before and were disappointed feel free to take another look.  My blog page isn't pretty yet, but most of the data is there (I lost my sports data, but I think I'm ok with that).  The logs include my training for IMCDA last year.  I would consider my training plan for last year the "self-coached athlete's trying not to flirt with midnight and finish smiling" plan.

2011-04-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3443784

User image

Veteran
Dallas
phatknot - 2011-04-13 7:11 AM

Good luck to all you racing NOLA this weekend! Please don't injure yourself when the big show is getting oh so close. Remember this is a long training day; not an A race.

4:59:59 or bust!!!!!!

2011-04-13 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
kstater39 - 2011-04-13 8:07 AM

Ben

I'm 6'2 and weigh 170 pounds.  I wear a MLO sleeveless (X2 Pro) and a MLA full (Vendetta).  I tried the MLO full and it was too tight.  Traded up one size and it made a huge difference for me.  I'm totally fine with my new suit...although it's really fragile.  Three uses and an equal number of aqua seal spots later. 

2011-04-13 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3444832

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
3Aims - 2011-04-13 3:13 PM

phatknot - 2011-04-13 7:11 AM

4:59:59 or bust!!!!!!

Get it!
2011-04-13 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3444843

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA

I'm 6'2 and weigh 170 pounds.  I wear a MLO sleeveless (X2 Pro) and a MLA full (Vendetta).  I tried the MLO full and it was too tight.  Traded up one size and it made a huge difference for me.  I'm totally fine with my new suit...although it's really fragile.  Three uses and an equal number of aqua seal spots later. 

thanks man, just got off the phone with xterra and I am going up to a long.  hopefully that will solve the problem.  I am similar weight just 3 inches shorter so hopefully going from m to m long will solve it.  I am confident its not how i put it on.
2011-04-13 9:01 PM

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
kstater39 - 2011-04-13 7:07 AM

Ben

By the end of June the local families are taking their kids to the lake to play in the water.  It is not uncommon to see a little kid in a swim diaper slashing around in the water and not thinking a thing about the cold. 

So, what's the difference between a triathlete and a little tot in a diaper?  They are both going to pi$$ themselves in the water but the triathlete is going to worry about the water temp for months while the kid just gets in and plays. 

It somewhat comes down to a mental thing.  If you want to swim in a sleeveles then you can.  But if you get in the water convinced that you're going to be cold then you probably will be.  I have even see a few guys go without a wetsuit but that's just nuts.  I've had more people tell me that they overheated in their full suit with cap and booties then have said they froze in a sleeveless. 

IMO, the wax earplugs are a must to keep the cold water our of your ears no matter what type of suit you swim in. 

(6 time sleeveless IMCDA finisher)

2011-04-13 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3445552

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
T in Liberty Lake - 2011-04-13 7:01 PM
kstater39 - 2011-04-13 7:07 AM

Ben

By the end of June the local families are taking their kids to the lake to play in the water.  It is not uncommon to see a little kid in a swim diaper slashing around in the water and not thinking a thing about the cold. 

So, what's the difference between a triathlete and a little tot in a diaper?  They are both going to pi$$ themselves in the water but the triathlete is going to worry about the water temp for months while the kid just gets in and plays. 

It somewhat comes down to a mental thing.  If you want to swim in a sleeveles then you can.  But if you get in the water convinced that you're going to be cold then you probably will be.  I have even see a few guys go without a wetsuit but that's just nuts.  I've had more people tell me that they overheated in their full suit with cap and booties then have said they froze in a sleeveless. 

IMO, the wax earplugs are a must to keep the cold water our of your ears no matter what type of suit you swim in. 

(6 time sleeveless IMCDA finisher)

I used to swim in that lake all summer long every summer as a kid.  Now I'm a big wuss.  I swam last weekend in 55 degree water and it wasn't too bad...maybe because I've been masochistically practicing in 46 and 47 degree water.

2011-04-13 11:29 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
The last big thing I've been dreading about training is starting open water swimming when the great location we have in SW Denver opens on May 7, with the temp probably around 55. I plan to swim 3800m in there twice a week from when it opens until the race - if that doesn't get me ready, nothing will. Swimming in that lake is my favorite workout, at least once it gets to a non-sadistic temp.

I'd also like to offer good luck to all the NOLA 70.3 folks this Sunday - I am so looking forward to the weekend down there and racing in what look to be awesome conditions.
2011-04-14 9:11 AM

User image

Seattle, WA

One more big "good luck" to everyone with 70.3s coming up!  I'm feeling a bit jealous.  After all the training so far, I'm pretty sure I would destroy my time from last year.

Maybe I should plan a solo HIM in the next week or so, just to put my theory to the test.

2011-04-14 3:10 PM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
Ok; so, I have a 5hr ride slated for Sunday on the torture - um, I mean training schedule. Supposed to stay in z1/z2 on a flat to rolling course. I know the risks of over training on the run, but what about on the bike? If I can still make a quality workout on Monday, does it matter if I spend a significant amount of time in z3/z4z/z5 working some local hills (still assuming that I'm in the saddle for 5hrs)?
2011-04-14 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
MY COACH IS TRYING TO KILL ME!  I think I will send him a gift certificate for a weekend at a resort to see if it will make up for whatever I did to deserve this.  I think I asked for it.  5 hour ride with 8 intervals of 12 minutes in z4 with 7 minutes rest between and a "nice easy" run after.  Who in the @ell runs a nice easy run after that (maybe a nice easy crawl is better)!!  Got to love him.  Went pretty good overall.  Amazing what we can do at this point.  I only wish I had a little natural athletic ability to sprinkle in the mix!!!
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171