Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 125

2024-02-06 5:18 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
^^this!

2024-02-06 7:12 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Actually, the real goal is leave my 21-year-old daughter in the dust (still...for now LOL...she's put in a ton of running mileage the past year or so but still doesn't have that running form/efficiency and has no idea how to run fast for a long time). 

Small victories.

2024-02-07 8:37 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Another 4am morning run for me, followed nearly immediately (had to drive to the pool and change) by a 2800yds swim (4200c). Both felt good. Actually, the swim, which was a bunch of 100s all out with stroke counting--called the golf set (at least by my coach)--was quite fun. The "game" is to swim two 50s all out, counting your strokes. Then swim 100 all out, with a lower time/stroke count than double the 50s. We did that 4 times, then a 200 golf--each set separated by an ez 100. It was a beast of a workout, but somehow also fun, despite me not being able to count that early in the morning. I screwed up the count on every set somehow.

Also learned a great lesson in reading the directions on gatorade this morning. I've started to take gatorade or infinit for my second workout in a back to back, regardless of the duration. I think I'm running out of steam a bit sometimes because I think of the two sessions as separate, instead of as a single unit. So, for a 40' run and a1:15 or so swim, I wouldn't need any fuel, because I have sufficient glycogen stores, but for a 2:05 or so workout, I would certainly take fuel with me. This morning I was in a bit of rush after my run, because I faffed about before the run drinking coffee and doing crosswords until I almost was going to be late to swimming. I didn't read the directions on the new gatorade powder I bought and ended up mixing two scoops of power with 24oz of water, instead of the 64oz it should have been. Anyway...it was a bit chewy! But, on the up-side, I felt really good during my swim (sugar high) and I'll have absolutely no trouble reaching my 4000 calorie goal for the day (500 calories of gatorade!).

Hope everyone is having a great day!
2024-02-07 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Another 4am morning run for me, followed nearly immediately (had to drive to the pool and change) by a 2800yds swim (4200c). Both felt good. Actually, the swim, which was a bunch of 100s all out with stroke counting--called the golf set (at least by my coach)--was quite fun. The "game" is to swim two 50s all out, counting your strokes. Then swim 100 all out, with a lower time/stroke count than double the 50s. We did that 4 times, then a 200 golf--each set separated by an ez 100. It was a beast of a workout, but somehow also fun, despite me not being able to count that early in the morning. I screwed up the count on every set somehow. Also learned a great lesson in reading the directions on gatorade this morning. I've started to take gatorade or infinit for my second workout in a back to back, regardless of the duration. I think I'm running out of steam a bit sometimes because I think of the two sessions as separate, instead of as a single unit. So, for a 40' run and a1:15 or so swim, I wouldn't need any fuel, because I have sufficient glycogen stores, but for a 2:05 or so workout, I would certainly take fuel with me. This morning I was in a bit of rush after my run, because I faffed about before the run drinking coffee and doing crosswords until I almost was going to be late to swimming. I didn't read the directions on the new gatorade powder I bought and ended up mixing two scoops of power with 24oz of water, instead of the 64oz it should have been. Anyway...it was a bit chewy! But, on the up-side, I felt really good during my swim (sugar high) and I'll have absolutely no trouble reaching my 4000 calorie goal for the day (500 calories of gatorade!). Hope everyone is having a great day!

That sounds like hell.  LOL  The all-out stuff destroys me in the pool, but I like the focus on stroke length because it works on your economy.  I did something similar today (but only 25s!!  ).  2500 total for me and that was a bit of a slog.  VO2 max biking at lunch which went way better than last week.  Off to the airport for work travel this afternoon so the Marriott gym will be my friend at 5:15 AM the rest of the week.  I"m not on the hook at night for entertaining anyone so it should be early bedtime so I'll survive.

I've also screwed up the Gatorade mix.  I prefer it watered-down a little (like 2/3 strength) so when I put too much powder in it I almost threw it back up. 

2024-02-07 1:00 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Actually, the real goal is leave my 21-year-old daughter in the dust

Now this is a goal we can all get behind!

Athletic domination of offspring for the win.
2024-02-07 1:09 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen. Yup, 100% agree you have to treat your double workouts as a single session as far as fueling goes. I think I mentioned it before, but have a look at https://saturdaymorning.fit/to help workout a fueling plan. I used the app building up for my 70.3 last year and found it very helpful. You don't have to follow the instructions religiously but it definitely pointed me in the right direction

@Mike, Hope your hotel has a decent gym. Other than the early early workouts enjoy the trip.

This week is so far so good for me. An hour easy ride on zwift last night and up again for another 45 minute foundation run this morning. I was a bit tired last night, so think I'll move my 3rd ride to the weekend, and have an easy night tonight. But we will play it by ear.

Keep up the good work BDAS'ers

2024-02-07 1:52 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

@Mike, Hope your hotel has a decent gym. Other than the early early workouts enjoy the trip.

What are you talking about? He said he was doing them at 5:15! :D
2024-02-07 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove
Originally posted by bulfrog @Mike, Hope your hotel has a decent gym. Other than the early early workouts enjoy the trip.

According to Gretchen I'm sleeping in.  And the type-A wackos at my hotel will have the treadmills filled up (5 of them) by 5:30 AM at the latest.  Gym isn't too bad, just small so tough to do core work and stuff without getting stepped on.  I've seen way worse.

2024-02-08 12:48 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by drfoodlove
Originally posted by bulfrog @Mike, Hope your hotel has a decent gym. Other than the early early workouts enjoy the trip.

According to Gretchen I'm sleeping in.  And the type-A wackos at my hotel will have the treadmills filled up (5 of them) by 5:30 AM at the latest.  Gym isn't too bad, just small so tough to do core work and stuff without getting stepped on.  I've seen way worse.

Yes, but unlike Gretchen we don't all get up to start training 45 minutes before going to bed and then do somewhere between a half and full iron distance worth of SBR before breakfast.

Kids these days, just wouldn't believe it.

I've had 4 days in a row of pre breakfast workouts, starting between 530 and 6. Gentlemens hours according to some, but I'm happy with a little step back towards morning workouts.
2024-02-08 12:54 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Went for my first swim of the year today. Uggh. 2 months out of the pool = swim fitness all gone.

Cut it short at 750m as fatuige had my form was all over the place. And there's no point practicing terrible form. I'm sure it'll come back over the next few weeks.

Still, first week with Swim, Bike and Run in it since my 70.3 in December. Back to pretending to be a triathlete.

I also pre booked some accommodation for Ironman NZ 2025. Taupo isn't the biggest town, and the family suitable places can sell out a long way in advance. Hopefully I guessed the date right. Only 55 training weeks to go. Haha.
2024-02-08 5:13 PM
in reply to: #5287876

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning 90’ interval ride and then later in the day I did a 49’ fast finish run and a trash can fire of a strength training workout. This session had everything from missing dumbbells to that gal who sat on one machine for 10’ (I timed her!) between sets, to me just flat forgetting my training program at home. It wasn’t pretty, but it is done.

For a hot minute I thought about signing up for a HM on Saturday, but then I remembered this was the race I vowed I’d never do again. Last time I did it (2017) they ran out of water completely and did nothing to get more. I did seven miles with no water before I hit a station that has some (but no cups). At that point, I didn’t care—put my head under the spout and drank right from the cooler. They also used to have the race on a nature preserve. Now it has the race starting at the local instructional airport and running on roads I normally ride on. It is a pretty well traveled road and doesn’t seem particularly safe. So…for once…wisdom won out. Miracles do happen!!

2024-02-08 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Morning 90’ interval ride and then later in the day I did a 49’ fast finish run and a trash can fire of a strength training workout. This session had everything from missing dumbbells to that gal who sat on one machine for 10’ (I timed her!) between sets, to me just flat forgetting my training program at home.

I've gotten to the point where I just ask if I can work in, then if that person says no I report them to the gym manager.  Gym rules specifically don't let you monopolize equipment and I don't tolerate that crap.  And it's never someone new that doesn't know better.  SMH rant over.

Anyway...as expected I grabbed the last of the 5 treadmills at the hotel gym around 5:40 AM after 20+ warming up on the spin bike.  What an ugly workout but did more or less what I intended (which wasn't much).  Core and PT didn't go much better, but my all-day meeting was productive so at least something was.  I think I'll get in a "stroke, stroke, stroke, turn" swim at the 15-yard pool tomorrow morning.

2024-02-08 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Went for my first swim of the year today. Uggh. 2 months out of the pool = swim fitness all gone. Cut it short at 750m as fatuige had my form was all over the place. And there's no point practicing terrible form. I'm sure it'll come back over the next few weeks. Still, first week with Swim, Bike and Run in it since my 70.3 in December. Back to pretending to be a triathlete. I also pre booked some accommodation for Ironman NZ 2025. Taupo isn't the biggest town, and the family suitable places can sell out a long way in advance. Hopefully I guessed the date right. Only 55 training weeks to go. Haha.

First, congrats on getting back into the pool.  First swim is always brutal.  And smart move to maximize comfort at the race...we booked a B&B literally next to transition at an Oly I did like ten years ago and it was awesome and made for such a relaxing pre-race experience. 

2024-02-08 7:36 PM
in reply to: #5287887

User image

Expert
Hey Y’all!-

I just wanted to check in tonight. Sadly, I managed to erase my comments to a bunch of you sorry about that. I’ll get on it tomorrow or on the weekend.

Sadly I didn’t get a workout in due to the fact that I had to tutor I guess I’ll get to that on Sat when it’s supposed to be 55 here. That’s too nice not to go out on your bike.

Have a good one everyone!
2024-02-09 9:09 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Yes, but unlike Gretchen we don't all get up to start training 45 minutes before going to bed and then do somewhere between a half and full iron distance worth of SBR before breakfast.

If only I had the power to bend time like this!! It would be amazing!!! Also...you are responsible for me spitting coffee on my desk this morning when I read this (somehow I glossed over it yesterday!). Pure gold.
2024-02-09 9:11 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by bulfrog Went for my first swim of the year today. Uggh. 2 months out of the pool = swim fitness all gone. Cut it short at 750m as fatuige had my form was all over the place. And there's no point practicing terrible form. I'm sure it'll come back over the next few weeks. Still, first week with Swim, Bike and Run in it since my 70.3 in December. Back to pretending to be a triathlete. I also pre booked some accommodation for Ironman NZ 2025. Taupo isn't the biggest town, and the family suitable places can sell out a long way in advance. Hopefully I guessed the date right. Only 55 training weeks to go. Haha.

First, congrats on getting back into the pool.  First swim is always brutal.  And smart move to maximize comfort at the race...we booked a B&B literally next to transition at an Oly I did like ten years ago and it was awesome and made for such a relaxing pre-race experience. 

Agreed!! First swim back is always brutal and humbling. it is, fortunately, the one sport in our discipline where you can get back to your previous levels pretty quickly. I started back in January after a 2.5 month break and I'm already back to where I was--perhaps a little faster. Keep at it!

2024-02-09 9:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove Morning 90’ interval ride and then later in the day I did a 49’ fast finish run and a trash can fire of a strength training workout. This session had everything from missing dumbbells to that gal who sat on one machine for 10’ (I timed her!) between sets, to me just flat forgetting my training program at home.

I've gotten to the point where I just ask if I can work in, then if that person says no I report them to the gym manager.  Gym rules specifically don't let you monopolize equipment and I don't tolerate that crap.  And it's never someone new that doesn't know better.  SMH rant over.

Anyway...as expected I grabbed the last of the 5 treadmills at the hotel gym around 5:40 AM after 20+ warming up on the spin bike.  What an ugly workout but did more or less what I intended (which wasn't much).  Core and PT didn't go much better, but my all-day meeting was productive so at least something was.  I think I'll get in a "stroke, stroke, stroke, turn" swim at the 15-yard pool tomorrow morning.

I did ask her at one point if she was done with the machine and she said a couple more sets, to which I responded...sooo....20 more minutes? She gave me this weird half smile and kinda laughed and said no. Then proceeded to continue to sit on the machine while I went off and did two other machines and then came back and did the whole stand uncomfortably close to the machine I now need to finish my workout and basically stare the person down move. I work out at the university gym and there seems to be no established etiquette or rules except you have to wear a shirt. That's the only thing I've ever seen staff tell people, even when people are doing downright dangerous stuff, the staff just ignores it. Alas...it is the only gym in town with an Olympic sized pool (or a pool, period). Plus it is huge and has tons of stuff you wouldn't find in a normal gym.
2024-02-09 9:20 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
In the middle of a triple workout day right now. I was up to swim with masters at 6 (1750yds) and then came home immediately to do an hour Z2 ride. This afternoon is my long run for the week (11.8miles), which I'll start around 2 to be done before the weekend "rush hour". I'm finding this year a bit more difficult to manage than last year (in Egypt) in terms of work/training/life balance. In part it has to be the two extra sessions a week. In part it is the slightly longer sessions. But I think the biggest part is that here at home I have so many other obligations. No one cared what I did in Egypt. I could have trained 24/7 and as long as I showed up to a once a month meeting, I was golden. Here, there are SO MANY THINGS TO DO. Between meetings, interviews (for new hires in my department), doctor's appointments, and work I fee like I do little other than sleep, train, eat, and work...and not much of that last bit (although according to my time cards I'm still putting in overtime). Oh well...as my mother says...this too shall pass (and I always add...Like a kidney stone!).

Hope everyone is killin' it out there!
2024-02-09 5:50 PM
in reply to: #5287890

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
11.8miles this afternoon. Mistakes were made. Lessons were probably not learned. Miles 1-4 were rough and very stiff. Miles 5-9 actually felt really good. Miles 10-11.8 were an abomination of sport. Apparently, one should take more than one bottle of infinite (liquid fuel) for an 11.8 mile run. Sigh…
2024-02-09 6:44 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So in "Opposite of Gretchen World"...

Set my alarm for 5:30, got up, and immediately decided I needed to get to the office early to project-manage the work we did yesterday instead of working out, so a big old red on Training Peaks for me today.  VERY productive half-day in the office before flying home, including some face time with some executives so mentally a good day.  I don't typically sit around and do nothing the day before a race so we'll see.  50 degrees and no wind at post time so it should be fast.

2024-02-09 7:12 PM
in reply to: #5287895

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Good luck on your race Mike!!

2024-02-10 12:16 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm taking an intentional red in TP today. I got up and did my 2:30 ride this morning, but my left anterior shin (down by the ankle) is just not feeling right...and when I say not right, I mean down right painful with a large knot and what looks like some bruising, but I can't really tell. I have no idea what I might have done, but it has been hurting off and on all week, so I'm skipping today's 40' foundation run to elevate, ice, and rest it. Tomorrow is my normally scheduled rest day, so hopefully it will be recovered by Monday. I'll reassess then. For now, I'm trying to avoid the "I told you so" looks from my wife as I wince while trying to move around the house. :D

Mike--How'd the race go? Still champ of the household?
2024-02-10 2:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog @ Mike, 5k race on the weekend is exciting. Do you have a time goal? 

Go out way too fast thinking I'm still 45 years old and can run a 22-flat 5K, then flame out spectacularly around mile 2.2. 

The Plan is to hold low 8s as long as possible (like 8:15ish).  If I can come in sub 25:30 I'll count it as a win. 

Short version:  bad stomach issues all morning, still raced, did OK came in 27-flat on a badly-measured course (3.22 miles, confirmed by at least three other athletes).  26:13 at 5K  (splits 8:13, 8:18, 9:00).  Whack course with a gagillion kids running (some really fast).  Beat the offspring by about a minute.  

TL:DR version to be posted tomorrow morning. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2024-02-10 2:45 PM
2024-02-10 5:47 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by bulfrog @ Mike, 5k race on the weekend is exciting. Do you have a time goal? 

Go out way too fast thinking I'm still 45 years old and can run a 22-flat 5K, then flame out spectacularly around mile 2.2. 

The Plan is to hold low 8s as long as possible (like 8:15ish).  If I can come in sub 25:30 I'll count it as a win. 

Short version:  bad stomach issues all morning, still raced, did OK came in 27-flat on a badly-measured course (3.22 miles, confirmed by at least three other athletes).  26:13 at 5K  (splits 8:13, 8:18, 9:00).  Whack course with a gagillion kids running (some really fast).  Beat the offspring by about a minute.  

TL:DR version to be posted tomorrow morning. 

Great job Mike!!
2024-02-10 5:52 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm done for the week, so here are my totals:
5 runs for 24.84miles (5:36:41)
4 swims 9450 yds (4:26:02)
4 bikes (6:15:08)
2 strength (1:34)

All in all, not a bad week (17:51:51). I'm hoping my rest day works miracles, because my wife is threatening me with a trip to urgent care on Monday if my ankle doesn't feel better. You know what they'll say...rest.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 125

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland