Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2011-08-01 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3624411

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!

Yes, I did have the surgery on my shoulder recently, this time I'm going in to have the female equivalent to your procedure last year, my husband is refusing to let anyone near his "boys" so I'm taking care of it:-)

chichitao - 2011-08-01 2:39 P,M
corstan - 2011-08-01 12:49 PM

Glad to hear you are recovering from your bike accident, and I hope that your wheel faired better than your arm and just needs a new tire. 

We've had a reasonably good weekend here, with the weather cooperating for the most part.  Also happy to have moved off my plateau weight-wise and lost 1.2 lbs this past week. 

Nice short work week, with today being a holiday, but Friday I will be having some minor surgery that will have me unable to do much of anything for about a week...ugh! 

Didn't you just have recent minor surgery?  Is this related?  Can you say what you are having done?

2011-08-01 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3624456

User image

Expert
South Jersey
corstan - 2011-08-01 5:12 PM

Yes, I did have the surgery on my shoulder recently, this time I'm going in to have the female equivalent to your procedure last year, my husband is refusing to let anyone near his "boys" so I'm taking care of it:-)

Glad to hear you are recovering from your bike accident, and I hope that your wheel faired better than your arm and just needs a new tire. 

We've had a reasonably good weekend here, with the weather cooperating for the most part.  Also happy to have moved off my plateau weight-wise and lost 1.2 lbs this past week. 

Nice short work week, with today being a holiday, but Friday I will be having some minor surgery that will have me unable to do much of anything for about a week...ugh! 

Didn't you just have recent minor surgery?  Is this related?  Can you say what you are having done?

Hahaha!!!  John has been dragging his feet on this and I am ready to hurt the man.  We made a deal when I had Logan.  I wanted my tubes tied and he was not quite ready for something like that.  I told him if we did not do it then, it was up to him to get snipped.  It was a scheduled C section so it was perfect timing for me.  Three years later and I still have this dreadful IUD because he won't get it done. 

Things are going surprisingly well here.  I skipped the tri I was supposed to do yesterday for a few reason.  I ran once last week and was hurting.  My form was totally messed up because I was trying to run in a way it was not hurting.  That was the main reason but also because I did not want to be set back 10 days again.  I limped for almost a week after the tri two weeks ago and it took a good 10 days for my foot to start to feel somewhat back to normal.  I didn't want to do that to myself again.

I have not been logging my workouts on here for the past few days but I have been nailing my gym workouts.  I have a new love for the stairmaster but still hate the eliptical.  I am loving working with a personal trainer and lifting on a regular basis again.  I was going to head to the gym tonight to swim but we are having storms with hail the size of quarters.  So a trainer ride it is for me after bedtime. 

2011-08-01 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3624456

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Hope it all goes well for you.  My wife pretty much said I wouldn't be allowed to touch her until I had the procedure done.  She was kinda joking.

And good work on the weight loss.  I've been using the injury as an excuse to eat bad and have undone a lot of the good work I had been doing.  I haven't weighed myself yet but I am scared.  But we bought all the healthy foods and stocked the fridge today so no more excuses.  It's tough b/c I can't work out at all right now, so I need to be extra vigilant with the food.

corstan - 2011-08-01 5:12 PM

2011-08-01 10:35 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Hmmm, interesting thoughts on here today!  I tried to convince Ryan to get "the procedure," but he insists that we might regret it when we're older, IF we decide to have kids.  I'm not convinced...  I figure as soon as male birth control comes out, I'll make him go on that and see how he likes it!

Anyway, I've had a SUPER rough week.  It was supposed to be a vacation weekend for us, but it ended up being the weekend from heck.  Lots of things happening in my family that made me all kinds of emotional.  We try not to stock bad foods in our apartment, but today, I've eaten an entire bag of Tostitos, some ice cream, and some pizza.  That, compiled with the crap we ate while on "vacation," is making me feel awful.  I need to be able to run it off, but alas, I can't.  When it rains, it pours!

OH, and adding insult to injury, I have exams tomorrow and Wednesday. 

On a bright note, I do have my orthopedic appt on Wednesday afternoon to try and get this knee thing resolved.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a quick course of action!

2011-08-02 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

The numbers are in and if it makes you feel any better Erica I packed on 7.4lbs since my last weigh in 2 weeks ago!  But we can always turn things around.  If it were easy everyone would be pencil thin!

Wife and I had been married 5yrs before I got fixed.  We knew we didn't want kids but just never got around to getting it done. 

It is an interesting topic.  Wife and I discuss it often.  We get a lot of weird looks and comments when we tell people we are not having kids.  They just can't believe we don't want any.  The comment we get the most often is, "oh, you will change your mind once you're older."  ummm, no we won't.  But after the weird looks and comments we often get a "I love my kids more than anything, but you guys are lucky" (or any similar comment after the BUT).  It is really fascinating delving into the thoughts and mindset of people on the topic.

Good luck with your exams and doc appt Erica!

Edited by chichitao 2011-08-02 10:06 AM
2011-08-02 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC

This topic has gotten me thinking a lot recently. I realize I am young, but right now, I am much like you, Tim. I have no desire, want, need, anything to have kids of my own. That may change, yes, but does it biologically have to be mine? If one day, I decide that I want to raise a child, I think I would prefer to adopt, give a kid a chance who otherwise wouldn't have one. Again, that might change, but my mind is fairly made up on this one :P

Sorry I haven't been around all that much. Been busy, and you guys have been scaring me with all your injury stories, as I go into my heavy load weeks leading up to my HIM! Don't want to jynx myself. But I'm doing alright. I think I am not super well trained (yet again...), but I am going to be putting in a LOT of hours and miles in the next couple of weeks. I have at least a long ride planned for each of the weekends leading up to my race, with a ride of the course scheduled for 2 weeks from now. I'm getting kinda nervous. I tried to go for a 65/10km brick this weekend, but I was cramping pretty good on the run, so I cut it at a short, slow 5k. I will definitely be doing more bricks than I have been, and had leading up to my last race. I think that really caught up to me.

Logs will start to be kept again, too. That is my promise to you. That, and nutrition. I am going to be focusing on that from now until my race. I haven't been great, but after a few bad weeks, I'm back on, and I'm back down near where I started, so that is good. The trend will continue!

Sorry to hear everyone is having such a hard time. If there is anything I can do to help out, let me know. 

2011-08-02 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3625311

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Sorry about the gain Tim, but I have faith that you will drop it in no time once you are back on track. 

I was never really interested in having kids. I was however, lucky enough to inherit a child through my husband, she is great and I couldn't imagine life without her.  Ray and I did discuss having a child, but we were both of the mind that we enjoyed our lifestyle and if we decided that we wanted to add another family member it would be through adoption, and we would look at adopting an older child that needed a break in this world.

chichitao - 2011-08-02 8:05 AM

The numbers are in and if it makes you feel any better Erica I packed on 7.4lbs since my last weigh in 2 weeks ago!  But we can always turn things around.  If it were easy everyone would be pencil thin!

Wife and I had been married 5yrs before I got fixed.  We knew we didn't want kids but just never got around to getting it done. 

It is an interesting topic.  Wife and I discuss it often.  We get a lot of weird looks and comments when we tell people we are not having kids.  They just can't believe we don't want any.  The comment we get the most often is, "oh, you will change your mind once you're older."  ummm, no we won't.  But after the weird looks and comments we often get a "I love my kids more than anything, but you guys are lucky" (or any similar comment after the BUT).  It is really fascinating delving into the thoughts and mindset of people on the topic.

Good luck with your exams and doc appt Erica!

Edited by corstan 2011-08-02 11:15 AM
2011-08-03 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3625367

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Pete, if you would be willing to swap legs and arms then that would really help me out!

LockOut - 2011-08-02 10:34 AM

This topic has gotten me thinking a lot recently. I realize I am young, but right now, I am much like you, Tim. I have no desire, want, need, anything to have kids of my own. That may change, yes, but does it biologically have to be mine? If one day, I decide that I want to raise a child, I think I would prefer to adopt, give a kid a chance who otherwise wouldn't have one. Again, that might change, but my mind is fairly made up on this one :P

Sorry I haven't been around all that much. Been busy, and you guys have been scaring me with all your injury stories, as I go into my heavy load weeks leading up to my HIM! Don't want to jynx myself. But I'm doing alright. I think I am not super well trained (yet again...), but I am going to be putting in a LOT of hours and miles in the next couple of weeks. I have at least a long ride planned for each of the weekends leading up to my race, with a ride of the course scheduled for 2 weeks from now. I'm getting kinda nervous. I tried to go for a 65/10km brick this weekend, but I was cramping pretty good on the run, so I cut it at a short, slow 5k. I will definitely be doing more bricks than I have been, and had leading up to my last race. I think that really caught up to me.

Logs will start to be kept again, too. That is my promise to you. That, and nutrition. I am going to be focusing on that from now until my race. I haven't been great, but after a few bad weeks, I'm back on, and I'm back down near where I started, so that is good. The trend will continue!

Sorry to hear everyone is having such a hard time. If there is anything I can do to help out, let me know. 

2011-08-03 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3627614

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
chichitao - 2011-08-03 2:16 PM

Pete, if you would be willing to swap legs and arms then that would really help me out!

I would totally call dibs on the right leg, but I might look funny.  Could you start shaving so I can tell if it'll match? Tongue out

Went to the doc today, he didn't say much besides that apparently my kneecaps are ridiculously tight.  Never heard that before!  I go in for an MRI early next week, then I'll meet up with him again late next week, and we'll go from there.  I leave on the 19th though, so I don't know if it's even worth it to do all this now.  If I need surgery, I won't have it 'til I get back from Portland anyway. 

He also said that it may just be that I'm not meant to be a runner.  I refuse to buy that though.  I will run.  I'm actually thinking about trying to run tomorrow, just because I won't hurt myself anymore at this point it seems!

Lastly, despite all my insane eating (it's been awful, trust me), I'm still hovering at about the same weight as usual.  Would you believe that?  I'm calling it a miracle.

TIM, get back on track!  Lose that weight!  You can do it.  7 pounds has got nothin' on you.  Also, are you still planning on visiting Portland this fall with the wifey?

2011-08-04 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3628007

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
SoccerGK - 2011-08-03 7:50 PM
chichitao - 2011-08-03 2:16 PM

I would totally call dibs on the right leg, but I might look funny.  Could you start shaving so I can tell if it'll match? Tongue out

Went to the doc today, he didn't say much besides that apparently my kneecaps are ridiculously tight.  Never heard that before!  I go in for an MRI early next week, then I'll meet up with him again late next week, and we'll go from there.  I leave on the 19th though, so I don't know if it's even worth it to do all this now.  If I need surgery, I won't have it 'til I get back from Portland anyway. 

He also said that it may just be that I'm not meant to be a runner.  I refuse to buy that though.  I will run.  I'm actually thinking about trying to run tomorrow, just because I won't hurt myself anymore at this point it seems!

Lastly, despite all my insane eating (it's been awful, trust me), I'm still hovering at about the same weight as usual.  Would you believe that?  I'm calling it a miracle.

TIM, get back on track!  Lose that weight!  You can do it.  7 pounds has got nothin' on you.  Also, are you still planning on visiting Portland this fall with the wifey?

Haha, I totally would, but the GF has explicitly told me not to do it, so I guess you're out of luck...

2011-08-04 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

The weight is coming down into normal range again.  Down to 206.4 today so only 2.4lbs over what I was 2 weeks ago.  Hit the recumbent bike at the gym 2 nights ago and will try to make it again tonight.  Might try to see how the arm does on the elliptical. 

Best of luck with the surgery Sandra.  How long is recovery?  I was out a few weeks.

Hopefully you will get a good course of action for your knee Erica.  Don't let them tell you you are not a runner!  When do you leave for Portland and how long again will you be there?  No, we are no longer heading up that way.  Ended up being invited by some friends for a Caribbean cruise so we will be doing that instead.  I've never been on a cruise and am a little worried b/c I get bad motion/sea sickness.  We leave in a month from today.

Well Pete, I tried.  And I can't blame your gf b/c I wouldn't want these arms and legs either!   How is the HIM training going?

Speaking of training, I am going to need to ramp up the running quickly once the arm is better.  I've got my yearly marathon relay coming up in 2 months and need to go from almost no running to doing 6mi.  It is disappointing b/c last year I ran it in record time (under an 8min pace) and know I will not come close to that this year.  Oh well, doing is still better than not doing!

2011-08-04 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3628523

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Thanks Tim, I'm told that I shouldn't lift anything for a week, but I'm assuming that the kind of intense workouts I am doing now will be out for a little longer.  I don't want to be out too long, since I'm in the midst of my half marathon training for October and I still have that under an hour goal to do the grouse grind this summer.

I remember that relay marathon last year, you did great! How is your knee doing overall, is the pain still there?  Have you gone to speak with the guy who gave you the shot?

chichitao - 2011-08-04 6:16 AM

The weight is coming down into normal range again.  Down to 206.4 today so only 2.4lbs over what I was 2 weeks ago.  Hit the recumbent bike at the gym 2 nights ago and will try to make it again tonight.  Might try to see how the arm does on the elliptical. 

Best of luck with the surgery Sandra.  How long is recovery?  I was out a few weeks.

Hopefully you will get a good course of action for your knee Erica.  Don't let them tell you you are not a runner!  When do you leave for Portland and how long again will you be there?  No, we are no longer heading up that way.  Ended up being invited by some friends for a Caribbean cruise so we will be doing that instead.  I've never been on a cruise and am a little worried b/c I get bad motion/sea sickness.  We leave in a month from today.

Well Pete, I tried.  And I can't blame your gf b/c I wouldn't want these arms and legs either!   How is the HIM training going?

Speaking of training, I am going to need to ramp up the running quickly once the arm is better.  I've got my yearly marathon relay coming up in 2 months and need to go from almost no running to doing 6mi.  It is disappointing b/c last year I ran it in record time (under an 8min pace) and know I will not come close to that this year.  Oh well, doing is still better than not doing!

2011-08-05 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

It seemed like the last few runs I had the knee was flaring up just a bit.  But I was running longer in an attempt to test it out.  I wasn't running regularly enough to really see how it responds.  The big test will be coming up as I will need to run 3-4 days a week.

I am going to try going back to my old style of running.  A few years ago I switched over to the mid-foot strike running and had been happy with it.  At the time I heard that style lessens injuries, but I just read a recent article that shows no more or less injuries with either running style.  There are running champions that run with both styles.  I am hoping maybe a switch back to the heel striking will help with the injury.

2011-08-08 6:27 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
How is everyone doing? 
2011-08-09 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Hanging in there.  Ready for my cruise to hurry up and get here.  Less than 4 weeks away.  Started my running back up again this morning with an easy 2mi run at 5am.  Going to try the morning workouts again.  The afternoon heat is really wearing on me and I hate running at the gym.  My arm is slowly getting better, enough to finally run today.  Still a few weeks away from riding I think and probably even longer until I can swim.
2011-08-09 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3634867

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Today, I am finally starting to feel human again.  Surgery went well on Friday, no issues and I was home by 1:30PM.  I've been sleeping for days, I stopped taking the pain killers Sunday morning, and I'm tender still, but greatly improved again over yesterday.  I see the doctor this Friday and hopefully will get an idea as to when I can start working out again. 

2011-08-09 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Glad the surgery went well for you Sandra.  Rest up and take it easy!
2011-08-09 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

Glad you are doing ok Sandra.  Like Tim said, rest up and take it easy.  Don't rush back too fast.  Training will always be there. 

Tim, let me know how that 5am is working out for you.  I don't know how I did it for a decent part of last year.  I keep trying now and I keep going back to sleep. 

As for myself, I ran a mile last night and felt pretty darn good.  I am going against most of what my doctor had me doing.  He had me sleeping in a boot which sucked.  I had an awful time sleeping and I would rip it off most nights.  I also stopped the anit inflammatories because they were killing my stomach.  I had terrible heartburn 24 hours a day and indigestion.  I have no pain in my Achilles so I decided to give it a shot.  I walked for 1/4 mile, ran a mile very slowly, and then walked at a decent incline til I hit 30 minutes.  I did not want to push it because I had no idea how it would feel this morning.  It feels fine.  I decided I am going to run another mile this weekend and go from there.  I am going to increase very very slowly and see what happens. 

I have also lost 10 pounds and WILL keep losing.  I know the Achilles will take less pounding as I lose more weight.  So we will see what happens.

2011-08-09 3:53 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

That is some good news there Meggan.  Be very careful with it though.  Congrats on the weight loss too.  That was my thinking as well and that any weight loss would help with the knee issue.

2011-08-09 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3636486

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2011-08-09 3:53 PM

That is some good news there Meggan.  Be very careful with it though.  Congrats on the weight loss too.  That was my thinking as well and that any weight loss would help with the knee issue.

Oh, I am!  I am doing the exercises daily my doctor gave me.  I am only going to run 1 mile twice a week for a few weeks and go from there.  I have big goals and I know rushing my foot is not going to help me reach those goals.

2011-08-09 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Everybody seems to be doing lots better this week! 

I'm glad the surgery went well, Sandra!  I've had like 4-5 outpatient surgeries, and I know how you feel about being out of it for a few days.  Keep us posted on your appointment Friday!  Best of luck!

Meggan, super happy you're able to run a bit!  I would try wearing the boot though at least if you're not taking the meds.  I know it sucks (I used to do the same thing with my back brace), but that's when it really helps!

Tim - I'm kinda mad at you that you aren't visiting me now!  But the cruise sounds awesome.  I'm jealous!

So, I went in to get my MRI yesterday, and I go to see the results Friday. *crosses fingers* I've been swimming with Ryan on Tues/Thurs, but I can only pull, and even though biking hurts too, I'll ride my mountain bike while he runs every now and then.  I have to stay active, even though I haven't been able to do much.

It's scary that I leave for Portland in 10 days.  I'm so nervous now, and I'm going to miss Ryan like crazy.  Ohhhh boy.  At least I get an Olympic size pool while I'm there!

2011-08-10 6:47 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I wore the boot last night Dr. Erica.  And I even kept it on all night.
2011-08-10 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't checked in in a while, but here I am. Glad to hear that everyone is getting better from their various injuries and surgeries! Just be careful, everyone, because no one likes nagging injuries. Heal up right, and you'll all be happier for it. I know I took it easy when I broke my leg almost 4 years ago, and even still, it flares up from time to time. 

So I am training hard for my HIM coming up. I know that I am not getting the run miles in, which is unfortunate, but I will start building it up even more. I'm actually going to my race venue this weekend to ride the course. That should be interesting. I did a lot of riding this past weekend, but none as hilly as what I am up against. Should be interesting. I'm kinda nervous...

2011-08-10 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Had my 2nd day in a row, 5am run.  Feels good to have it done for the day.  Once I am able to swim again I would like to alternate morning runs/swims. 

So I guess you found a place up there Erica?  Will you be taking your dog?  How long will you be up there?  What will you be doing?  So many questions!

Pete, you are such a good athlete I am sure you will do great on the HIM.  Just about 1mo away now.  I checked out the website for that race and the area looks beautiful.  I am jealous.  What kind of weather is predicted for that time of year and will the water be wetsuit legal? 

Oh, and I just learned about new Canadian food today called poutine.  Did I spell that right?  It sounds good, has anyone here had it before?

So, I know it is because I can't work out much and also seeing T2 and Pete train for one, but I am getting the HIM itch again.  There is one next April about 30min from my house that I have my eye on.  We shall see.

Happy Wednesday!

2011-08-10 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3638097

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC

I'm not too worried about finishing, but I don't want o be walking the whole run... so I'm gonna be doing a lot of running from now until then. I'm actually going to be going to the race site this weekend to ride the course, and do a whole lot of training. The weather should be just about perfect. Usually sunny, with cool-ish temps. Water will be wetsuit legal (very rare up here for them to not be... lakes don't warm up THAT much ever :P). It is an absolutely gorgeous part of the country, so I'm glad I'll be able to enjoy the day. 

STAY AWAY FROM POUTINE. It's addictive. How can you go wrong with fries, gravy and cheese? You can't. Until your arteries clog and you die :P You sure spelled it right. It comes from right here in Montreal, and is everywhere here. It's good to try, but don't make it a daily diet kind of thing, just saying. Not good for the scale, or training :P

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103