BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 87

2011-04-05 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3430784

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED
bwingate - 2011-04-05 1:18 PM
jarvy01 - 2011-04-05 12:51 PM

btw......I do long runs up to 12 miles on only water.  Sometimes I'll fill up my bottle with Gatorade.  I can't imagine eating anything while running.  Would it be ok to use the Gatorade Endurance only while doing the HM (that's what they provide on the course)?  They also provide Hammer Gels (ewww).  Will I total bonk or have problems? 

Why can't you imagine eating on the run - its not that hard, and the calories are denser than in liquids, so a mouthful of gel is like 1/2 a bike bottle.  For me, anything over 1.25 hours gets water and maybe gatorade or hammer gels (I like them and I can buy them by the bottle).  anything over 2 hours is gatorade and gels.  I find that if I drink too much I get "sloshy" and uncomfortable, so during half and full marathons I rely on gels and mouthfuls of water. 

I've never needed to eat anything on the run while training (up to 12 miles) and finished fine - almost all these runs with only water.  I guess I can't imagine changing what I've been doing for the last 6 months.  You know? 

How many gels would I have to consume during a training run to simulate the race run?  Would I be faster if I consumed them?  Would I have more energy afterwards?  I could give it a shot.  I want to consume what is on the course, as I don't want to wear a fuel belt or anything for the race.  I am a very, very thirsty runner, and I drink at least 48 oz. on my long runs, so I prefer to drink some of the gatorade on the course.    

2011-04-05 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3430936

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
jarvy01 - 2011-04-05 2:30 PM

btw......I do long runs up to 12 miles on only water.  Sometimes I'll fill up my bottle with Gatorade.  I can't imagine eating anything while running.  Would it be ok to use the Gatorade Endurance only while doing the HM (that's what they provide on the course)?  They also provide Hammer Gels (ewww).  Will I total bonk or have problems? 

Why can't you imagine eating on the run - its not that hard, and the calories are denser than in liquids, so a mouthful of gel is like 1/2 a bike bottle.  For me, anything over 1.25 hours gets water and maybe gatorade or hammer gels (I like them and I can buy them by the bottle).  anything over 2 hours is gatorade and gels.  I find that if I drink too much I get "sloshy" and uncomfortable, so during half and full marathons I rely on gels and mouthfuls of water. 

I've never needed to eat anything on the run while training (up to 12 miles) and finished fine - almost all these runs with only water.  I guess I can't imagine changing what I've been doing for the last 6 months.  You know? 

How many gels would I have to consume during a training run to simulate the race run?  Would I be faster if I consumed them?  Would I have more energy afterwards?  I could give it a shot.  I want to consume what is on the course, as I don't want to wear a fuel belt or anything for the race.  I am a very, very thirsty runner, and I drink at least 48 oz. on my long runs, so I prefer to drink some of the gatorade on the course.    

I just got yelled at for this last week.  You need to practice race day nutrition when you train otherwise you're setting yourself up for GI problems on race day.  Generally its about 200 calories / hour on the run.  You can consume calories through sports drink, gels or a combination of both.  On the run I take a Gel every 4-5 miles and sports drin kwhereever I can get it. 

By comsuming calories when you run you'll also improve the quality of your run.  You should be able to sustain a given pace longer and your muscles should recover better afterwards (because your body used fuel you put it rather than catabolizing muscle).  An average person only has about 90 minutes worth of fuel (glycogen) stored in their bodies (no matter how much you carbo load -- this is a whole nother topic -- carbo loading is really not necessary) so if you don't fuel your body and you're training or racing longer than 90 minutes, you start to break down tissue in order to keep going.

2011-04-05 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3256199

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Here's a good blog post on the issue:  http://dmacleantri.blogspot.com/2011/02/do-you-really-need-to-consume-energy.html

Here's the text of the post:

Short answer:  No, but with a HUGE caveat.
Long answer:  Here we go...
         Carbohydrates are needed as fuel for muscle contraction.  A typical human can store enough muscle glycogen for roughly 60-90 minutes of strenuous exercise.  After that, your stores of readily available glycogen will be very low.  You've gotta either seriously back off the intensity, or run a serious risk of bonking (no longer enough blood sugar for the brain - dizziness, jelly legs, and disorientation are common symptoms of a bonk).  How do we combat this?  By consuming carbohydrates during exercise.  There are countless choices for your CHO source, but time and again, I advise my athletes to consume gels, specific sports drinks, bars, and blocks.  (disclaimer: I always roll with Gu products, but I'm not dumb or that much of a sellout... I do recognize that other companies out there are also making some good products, specifically Clif and Power Bar).
         So what do we want in a CHO source?  Multiple studies have shown that a mixture of sugar types is the way to go.  A glucose:fructose blend has been shown to promote higher carbohydrate oxidation rates than glucose alone.  The blend, when compared with pure glucose, is associated with improved performace, increased fluid delivery and lower probability of GI distress (Jeukendrup).  O'Brien et. al., showed that an approximately equal mixture of fructose:maltodextrin had similar benefits when compared to a blend that was predominantly maltodextrin.
        Why the benefits?  It is suspected that different sugars are going through different transport pathways, and therefore, the sugars are more readily digested and delivered to muscles.  Consuming only one type of sugar can cause a specific transport pathway to get "backed up", and thus CHO delivery hits a bottleneck, and your performance suffers.
         This is where the gels/drinks/bars/blocks come into play.  Surprise (surprise!) but some of the people at sports nutrition companies actually know what they're doing and they want to produce good products.  It's easy to find the carbohydrate blends in sports nutrition products - just look at the ingredients and nutrition info.  Any reasonable product will tell you exactly what carbohydrates they use.  Some will go so far as to tell you the ratio, and some don't.  If no ratios are listed, then just look at the nutrition label.  It should have "Carbohydrates" and "Sugars" listed.  All of the sugars will likely be some combination of glucose and fructose.  Any remaining carbohydrates will likely by maltodextrin (i.e. if there are 25 g of carbohydrates, and 10 g of sugars, then that means there are 15g of maltodextrin).
         I advise all of my athletes to use these specially made products (although I generally only recommend Gu, Power Bar, or Clif) because these companies produce carbohydrate blends in desirable ratios, have different caffeine levels in various products (so you can closely control caffeine intake), and they come in packaging that is convenient to carry and use during exercise.
         Could you use other carbohydrate sources (bread, bananas, etc...)?  Sure, they're cheaper, and in some cases, they can work well.  But you have to be very careful.  "Normal" foods will often come along with excess nutrients that may hinder performance (fiber, fats, excess protein, etc...), and you will have to put some effort into getting a good carbohydrate blend.  Something like white bread with jelly on it comes to mind as a decent CHO source, but really... who wants to carry a bunch of bread and jelly with them while running?  Not me.  I'll keep using my gels and Gu Chomps, thanks.  (also- where are you getting your sodium from if you're relying on bread/jelly/bananas/etc...?)
     The most important thing to remember is, when in intense activities, you only want to give your body exactly what it needs at that moment.  You can worry about vitamins, protein, fats, etc.. when you're sitting around eating dinner. 

References:
1) Jeukendrup, AE "Carbohydrate and Exercise Performance:  the role of multiple transportable carbohydrates"
2) O'Brien WJ, Rowlands DS "Fructose-maltodextrin ratio in a carbohydrate-electrolyte solution differentially affects exogenous carbohydrate oxidation rate, gut comfort, and performance"

2011-04-05 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3431181

User image

New Haven, CT
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-05 4:02 PM

Here's a good blog post on the issue:  http://dmacleantri.blogspot.com/2011/02/do-you-really-need-to-consume-energy.html

Here's the text of the post:

Short answer:  No, but with a HUGE caveat.
Long answer:  Here we go...
         Carbohydrates are needed as fuel for muscle contraction.  A typical human can store enough muscle glycogen for roughly 60-90 minutes of strenuous exercise.  After that, your stores of readily available glycogen will be very low.  You've gotta either seriously back off the intensity, or run a serious risk of bonking (no longer enough blood sugar for the brain - dizziness, jelly legs, and disorientation are common symptoms of a bonk).  How do we combat this?  By consuming carbohydrates during exercise.  There are countless choices for your CHO source, but time and again, I advise my athletes to consume gels, specific sports drinks, bars, and blocks.  (disclaimer: I always roll with Gu products, but I'm not dumb or that much of a sellout... I do recognize that other companies out there are also making some good products, specifically Clif and Power Bar).
         So what do we want in a CHO source?  Multiple studies have shown that a mixture of sugar types is the way to go.  A glucose:fructose blend has been shown to promote higher carbohydrate oxidation rates than glucose alone.  The blend, when compared with pure glucose, is associated with improved performace, increased fluid delivery and lower probability of GI distress (Jeukendrup).  O'Brien et. al., showed that an approximately equal mixture of fructose:maltodextrin had similar benefits when compared to a blend that was predominantly maltodextrin.
        Why the benefits?  It is suspected that different sugars are going through different transport pathways, and therefore, the sugars are more readily digested and delivered to muscles.  Consuming only one type of sugar can cause a specific transport pathway to get "backed up", and thus CHO delivery hits a bottleneck, and your performance suffers.
         This is where the gels/drinks/bars/blocks come into play.  Surprise (surprise!) but some of the people at sports nutrition companies actually know what they're doing and they want to produce good products.  It's easy to find the carbohydrate blends in sports nutrition products - just look at the ingredients and nutrition info.  Any reasonable product will tell you exactly what carbohydrates they use.  Some will go so far as to tell you the ratio, and some don't.  If no ratios are listed, then just look at the nutrition label.  It should have "Carbohydrates" and "Sugars" listed.  All of the sugars will likely be some combination of glucose and fructose.  Any remaining carbohydrates will likely by maltodextrin (i.e. if there are 25 g of carbohydrates, and 10 g of sugars, then that means there are 15g of maltodextrin).
         I advise all of my athletes to use these specially made products (although I generally only recommend Gu, Power Bar, or Clif) because these companies produce carbohydrate blends in desirable ratios, have different caffeine levels in various products (so you can closely control caffeine intake), and they come in packaging that is convenient to carry and use during exercise.
         Could you use other carbohydrate sources (bread, bananas, etc...)?  Sure, they're cheaper, and in some cases, they can work well.  But you have to be very careful.  "Normal" foods will often come along with excess nutrients that may hinder performance (fiber, fats, excess protein, etc...), and you will have to put some effort into getting a good carbohydrate blend.  Something like white bread with jelly on it comes to mind as a decent CHO source, but really... who wants to carry a bunch of bread and jelly with them while running?  Not me.  I'll keep using my gels and Gu Chomps, thanks.  (also- where are you getting your sodium from if you're relying on bread/jelly/bananas/etc...?)
     The most important thing to remember is, when in intense activities, you only want to give your body exactly what it needs at that moment.  You can worry about vitamins, protein, fats, etc.. when you're sitting around eating dinner. 

References:
1) Jeukendrup, AE "Carbohydrate and Exercise Performance:  the role of multiple transportable carbohydrates"
2) O'Brien WJ, Rowlands DS "Fructose-maltodextrin ratio in a carbohydrate-electrolyte solution differentially affects exogenous carbohydrate oxidation rate, gut comfort, and performance"

notice his sponsors

BTW, Bob Babbit, publisher of Competitor Magazine and one the fathers of multisport, competed in the early Hawaii Ironman using bread and jelly as his fuel source. 

2011-04-05 7:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
This is a facinating discussion on mid race fueling. I have traditionally done nothing special, but then look at my numbers. So I have fallen in love with sport beans and do eat a few before a longish run or bike ride. I also took them during my tris. I am not a big one on sport drinks as they give me heartburn, but am going to try a few this season as I am trying to go longer and faster than before. I am getting a lot out of hearing what how those of you doing really long runs and rides do so thanks
2011-04-05 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3431099

Extreme Veteran

kaburns1214 - 2011-04-05 3:36 PM

I just got yelled at for this last week.  You need to practice race day nutrition when you train otherwise you're setting yourself up for GI problems on race day.  Generally its about 200 calories / hour on the run.  You can consume calories through sports drink, gels or a combination of both.  On the run I take a Gel every 4-5 miles and sports drin kwhereever I can get it. 

By comsuming calories when you run you'll also improve the quality of your run.  You should be able to sustain a given pace longer and your muscles should recover better afterwards (because your body used fuel you put it rather than catabolizing muscle).  An average person only has about 90 minutes worth of fuel (glycogen) stored in their bodies (no matter how much you carbo load -- this is a whole nother topic -- carbo loading is really not necessary) so if you don't fuel your body and you're training or racing longer than 90 minutes, you start to break down tissue in order to keep going.

Actually its a little more - probably closer to 3 hours (and I've got zero scientific proof for this)

2011-04-05 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3430936

Extreme Veteran
jarvy01 - 2011-04-05 2:30 PM

I hear you.  Its been working so far, so why mess with it.  Try it on a long run and see how it works.  You might feel better for the second half of the run or you might not.

Generally, I try for one gel every 45 minutes with the last one at about 1 hour to go.   And on my longer runs I usually take in about 24 oz. of water/gatorade, mostly because my fuel belt holds 4 6 oz. bottles, and maybe 2 gels.  For my marathon I'm planning on 4 gels, 24 oz. of gatorade and whatever water I can get on course.

2011-04-06 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3430888

User image

Extreme Veteran
carrie639 - 2011-04-05 2:09 PM

So my avatar is offically incorrect and I can't find a pic small enough to replace it.

I have decided to bail out of the HIM for this year.  Working consulting and still looking for a job does not lend well to training for a long multisport event.  I am getting the runs in and I can fake the swim, but really no bikes.  Plus, after the 1/2 mary a week ago, I could not imagine doing an HIM run AFTER 3-4 hours of exercise.  So I have taken the pressure off myself for now and will do shorter tris this year and focus on running.  Running is my weakness so that is not a bad thing.

Having said that I am thinking of doing the Nashville Rock and Roll 1/2 mary and signing up for the 2:45 pace (slower on purpose since they have pace groups) and then doing the Wisconsin Marathon (1/2 distance) the next week.  I think I can do it.

Also, why don't all running races have pace groups???  And when they do it would be nice if they had one for turtles!!!

Sorry you had to bail on the HIM.  Will you be doing some sprints or olys instead?  Or will you just focus on running?

2011-04-06 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thank you all for the nutrition feedback.  I think I'm going to experiment with it during the next few long runs.  I'm sure I'll find something that works for me. 

Up early this morning for an easy trainer ride, and then I have a 5k to run later.  I'm getting really excited for my swimming workshop (Sat. & Sunday).  I'll try to upload some of the video - before & after.  I'm dying to know where I can improve my stroke.  I know that I've definitely improved my 100 time over the last few months - 1:40 down to 1:30 when I'm pushing myself.  It's nice to see hard work pay off

2011-04-06 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3431937

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

I am already signed up for 3 shorter tris, but my focus will be on running - it is my weakness so it could use alot of work.  So any bike and swim will be cross trainig for me as my #1 goal now is the Chicago marathon!

I just didn't want to training half on all aspects, so I just decided on running . . . plus, I am enjoying that the most right now.

Thanks for the support

2011-04-06 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

Just for fun I signed up for our annual LITH (Lake in the Hills . . . note Hills) run with my nephew this weekend.  (10 miler on Saturday, so will take this race slow)

I will do the 5k  and my nephew Howie will do the kids 1/2 mile.  He only agreed because he gets a medal

2011-04-06 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3432063

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
carrie639 - 2011-04-06 9:53 AM

I am already signed up for 3 shorter tris, but my focus will be on running - it is my weakness so it could use alot of work.  So any bike and swim will be cross trainig for me as my #1 goal now is the Chicago marathon!

I just didn't want to training half on all aspects, so I just decided on running . . . plus, I am enjoying that the most right now.

Thanks for the support

Are you following a plan for Chicago?  I know Jeff has had good luck with the Hal Higdeon running plans.

2011-04-06 10:35 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

One more thought on fueling from http://www.qt2systems.com/tips/:

4) Never, Ever, Bonk - Fuel properly during training. Never step out the door without at least 2 gels (or 1 bar) more than what you believe is required for your workout (at least 1/3 your body weight in CHO per hour). The physiologic impact of a bonk is so great that you just can't afford to let it happen. There are many, many things that you don't have control over in triathlon. This is NOT one of those. Take advantage of that fact.

2011-04-06 10:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT

Right now my training motivation is as up and down as our weather. Yesterday sunny and I had a great swim and run. Today rain truning to snow that is supposed to last through SAturday and here I sit reading posts on BT instead of doing anything. I still have to stand outside in this and shoot golf and softball today in the freeking cold wind if it doesn't start raining too much. Guess I'll drag the bike back to the drainer just to do something

2011-04-06 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3432366

Extreme Veteran

You can tell the weather is getting better - there's less posting and (hopefully) more training.

Yesterday's run was great - shorts, ball cap and a long and a short sleeved shirt.  Haven't been that undressed in ages it seems.  Today, back to the tights, jacket and watch cap.  Still a really nice run.

My training plan has me biking - so I better get with the program and dust off the bike.

2011-04-06 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3432313

User image

New Haven, CT
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-06 11:34 AM
carrie639 - 2011-04-06 9:53 AM

Thanks for the support

Are you following a plan for Chicago?  I know Jeff has had good luck with the Hal Higdeon running plans.

Higdon's plans are good  to get you to the finish line.  If you want to meet a time, I would add in at least 2-4 additional base weeks and at least 1-2 additional runs of 22+ miles.  Aerobicly i was ready for the mary, but i was not from a muscular endurace stand point. 

2011-04-06 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3432321

User image

New Haven, CT
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-06 11:35 AM

One more thought on fueling from http://www.qt2systems.com/tips/:

4) Never, Ever, Bonk - Fuel properly during training. Never step out the door without at least 2 gels (or 1 bar) more than what you believe is required for your workout (at least 1/3 your body weight in CHO per hour). The physiologic impact of a bonk is so great that you just can't afford to let it happen. There are many, many things that you don't have control over in triathlon. This is NOT one of those. Take advantage of that fact.

to add to what kelly said, follow routes where you have rest stops and bring a few bucks.  if you need supplies you can always stop.  On a super hot day you may go through 30-40 oz of water (about the max you can carry without a camel back) in 90 minutes.  

Also, carry a cell phone.  I was 6 miles into a 18 miler last year - on the hotest day of the year I left my house at 1030 to meet my family at the pool [can you say dumb?] - when i realized how stupid i was.  I called my wife and she rescued me. 

2011-04-06 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3432682

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
bwingate - 2011-04-06 2:23 PM

You can tell the weather is getting better - there's less posting and (hopefully) more training.

Yesterday's run was great - shorts, ball cap and a long and a short sleeved shirt.  Haven't been that undressed in ages it seems.  Today, back to the tights, jacket and watch cap.  Still a really nice run.

My training plan has me biking - so I better get with the program and dust off the bike.

I thought this morning would be like yesterday -- I was wrong and froze.  My hands are still cold 8 hours later.

2011-04-06 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Any thoughts on the stinger waffles as carb source mid run?
2011-04-07 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Albuquerque

what happened?? 

We are archived now?

2011-04-07 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
We moved!  I don't like being in the archive!

2011-04-07 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3433412

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

DDVMM - 2011-04-06 9:36 PM Any thoughts on the stinger waffles as carb source mid run?

I have never tried them, but I know people who love love love them. They kind of look like candy.

2011-04-07 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3434054

User image

Master
Albuquerque
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-07 8:30 AM

DDVMM - 2011-04-06 9:36 PM Any thoughts on the stinger waffles as carb source mid run?

I have never tried them, but I know people who love love love them. They kind of look like candy.

I bought a few a few weeks ago. They taste pretty good, but a little dryer than I expected. 

2011-04-07 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh no! Does that mean this group is done? Say it isn't so!!!
2011-04-07 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

I'll keep posting if y'all do. 

BTW got a FB message from my LBS that they had a ton extra of those waffles ordered for some reason and are offloading them cheap.  May grab some for the back to back 90 mile ride next weekend.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 87