Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 125

2024-02-13 8:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Gretchen - I’ve never hoped for a stress fracture in all my life but I hope that’s what you have. And I want to say that aqua jogging is your friend. Some people think that aqua jogging is boring but it’s not. For me, because I’m basically going in circles at the end of a lane, it’s almost hypnotic and almost relaxing. And the water resistant acne makes it a killer muscle workout without the stress of pounding. It may not be popular but I’ll say it. I love aquajpgging. But I think Nicole was right - get some good aqua headphones.

Good luck and let us know when you know more. I got my fingers crossed you get to toe the line of that marathon.

DQ

Edited by Qua17 2024-02-13 8:31 AM

2024-02-13 8:46 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Hey - I know this isn’t tri but I loved the Super Bowl commercials. I Loved the “He Gets Us” commercial about the need for religious acceptance. I even went to the website to learn more. - https://hegetsus.com/en

I think I saw the scrubs duos commercial twice. It was good seeing those guys again and I think I’m gonna watch the series from beginning to end as I find unfun ways of losing weight

The Christopher Walken Imitation ad was by far my favorite and I laughed out loud! David Schweimmer making fun of Jennifer Anniston (she doesn’t remember working with him) was another good one. And finally the Kia skating ad almost made me cry.

What did y’all think?
2024-02-13 12:25 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Hi BDASers:

Well, for the second time in two weeks, I have the stomach bug. I was sick as a dog yesterday and I was up last night. So, no workouts. I hate that because it’s my goal to really walk a lot this month with the hope of not only losing weight but getting ready to start adding some light jogging in March. Back in my Ironman days, I would have practice racing while sick but I’m just not in that mindset.

I weighed myself this weekend and I managed to lose a 1/2 pound which is a disappointment because I had wanted to lose 1 1/2 but didn’t because of some late night cottage cheese. If I’d just have had a 1/3 of a container I would have been fine but the full container caused me to lose some of those weight loses which are so important to me right now. Losing weight will help me feel better because at 242 i feel nauseous everyday even when I don’t have the stomach bug. The docs don’t know what is causing my almost daily nausea - I think it’s nausea caused by fatigue brought about by my terrible sleep apnea which is caused by my weight. So, losing the weight is goal #1.

I got a question for you guys about the thread. It looks like BT didn’t renew the threads and we’re using 2023’s thread moving forward. Have they mentioned any end date. Are we just hoping they don’t close us down? I’ve read some of the thread but have you guys talked about this?

Hope everyone is enjoying the slowness of my snow day.

DQ

BT is...struggling...and around Sept/Oct of last year (2023) Alice posted over in TT that without some number of people signing up for paid memberships, she was going to have to shut the doors. She got however many people she needed to sign up, but I see this as really just more hand writing on the wall--BT is going away soon. We have a FB group that Andrew set up (Andrew--do you have the link?) for the day when Alice finally pulls the plug. It will be sad to see BT go, it was a really great source of information for me when I was new and I have 10 years of training data here (and now archived!)...not to mention the friends I've made in the boards. It feels a bit like a self-fulfilling prophecy though. No improvements/updates have been made in YEARS and there are a lot of better and more user friendly ways to communicate, connect, get training plans, etc now. BT was pretty bad when Alice bought it. I was hoping for an infusion of new blood to revamp the platform and bring back the old activity levels, but it has just continued the downward slide over the last few years.
2024-02-13 12:28 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Gretchen - I’ve never hoped for a stress fracture in all my life but I hope that’s what you have. And I want to say that aqua jogging is your friend. Some people think that aqua jogging is boring but it’s not. For me, because I’m basically going in circles at the end of a lane, it’s almost hypnotic and almost relaxing. And the water resistant acne makes it a killer muscle workout without the stress of pounding. It may not be popular but I’ll say it. I love aquajpgging. But I think Nicole was right - get some good aqua headphones.

Good luck and let us know when you know more. I got my fingers crossed you get to toe the line of that marathon.

DQ

I laughed at this, because it sounds like me when I was talking to my wife yesterday. I said something along the lines of it is a bad day when the *best* diagnosis would be a broken bone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the stress fracture too, although it sounds like the surgical treatments for the other things would actually make the marathon possible because the return to training for running is more immediate. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself--MRI then discuss options with docs...no Dr. Google for me!
2024-02-13 12:30 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
And finally the Kia skating ad almost made me cry.

Exactly! Really pulled at the old heartstrings!
2024-02-13 12:31 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Today was a 1750yd swim with Masters (6am) and then 45' aqua jog (11am--had to go to Arabic class in between, or I would have done a "brick" in the pool). Later today I'm (finally) going to set up my new trainer and then I have an hour of Z2 riding.

2024-02-13 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi BDASers:

Well, for the second time in two weeks, I have the stomach bug. I was sick as a dog yesterday and I was up last night. So, no workouts. I hate that because it’s my goal to really walk a lot this month with the hope of not only losing weight but getting ready to start adding some light jogging in March. Back in my Ironman days, I would have practice racing while sick but I’m just not in that mindset.

I weighed myself this weekend and I managed to lose a 1/2 pound which is a disappointment because I had wanted to lose 1 1/2 but didn’t because of some late night cottage cheese. If I’d just have had a 1/3 of a container I would have been fine but the full container caused me to lose some of those weight loses which are so important to me right now. Losing weight will help me feel better because at 242 i feel nauseous everyday even when I don’t have the stomach bug. The docs don’t know what is causing my almost daily nausea - I think it’s nausea caused by fatigue brought about by my terrible sleep apnea which is caused by my weight. So, losing the weight is goal #1.

I got a question for you guys about the thread. It looks like BT didn’t renew the threads and we’re using 2023’s thread moving forward. Have they mentioned any end date. Are we just hoping they don’t close us down? I’ve read some of the thread but have you guys talked about this?

Hope everyone is enjoying the slowness of my snow day.

DQ

BT is...struggling...and around Sept/Oct of last year (2023) Alice posted over in TT that without some number of people signing up for paid memberships, she was going to have to shut the doors. She got however many people she needed to sign up, but I see this as really just more hand writing on the wall--BT is going away soon. We have a FB group that Andrew set up (Andrew--do you have the link?) for the day when Alice finally pulls the plug. It will be sad to see BT go, it was a really great source of information for me when I was new and I have 10 years of training data here (and now archived!)...not to mention the friends I've made in the boards. It feels a bit like a self-fulfilling prophecy though. No improvements/updates have been made in YEARS and there are a lot of better and more user friendly ways to communicate, connect, get training plans, etc now. BT was pretty bad when Alice bought it. I was hoping for an infusion of new blood to revamp the platform and bring back the old activity levels, but it has just continued the downward slide over the last few years.

As Gretchen said, we set up a back up on facebook for the day we go to log in here and the lights are out. Until that happens all our activity is here, to try and keep a bit of traffic on BT.

Here's the facbook link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1873971316374700
2024-02-13 1:43 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nicole, Good to see your stretching plan is paying off. Nice job getting a ride.

@Gretchen, I have no answer for a crazy TSS from aqua jogging, only that although similar, and a good substitute it is a different thing to running. So your stats and numbers aren't going to roll over exactly. Enjoy your smart trainer debut ride tonight. Did you decide to get on zwift too?

@DQ, Stomach bugs suck. Our little one brought one home from kindy a couple of weeks back and it worked its way through the house. Unpleasant for everyone. And a couple of unscheduled rest days to go with it. Hope that yours passes quickly.

ME, nothing much exciting. We had a 'pancake day' dinner at my parents last night, and got home late enough that by the time kids were in bed and lunches made an evening bike wasn't really an option. Easy 45 minute Z2 foundation run with the dog this morning. Nothing flash, just racking up those miles.

Have a good day all.
2024-02-14 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  Good start to the week for me with nailing all the workouts, except I needed to shorten this morning's swim as my normal pool closed for chemical issues and I have to drive another 15 minutes to the other one. 

Tues:  25' anaerobic bike intervals, 30' treadmill with 4 x 1' @ R pace, 30 strength and core work, then in the afternoon I got abused by my PT - I think we hit the upper limit of my ability to absorb the hip/back strengthening work - I don't think Bulgarian one-legged squats work well for this old guy
Wed:  the aforementioned shortened (1650 yards) swim, then an hour thrashing VO2 max work on the bike - that hurt but more or less hit my targets; no way in hell was I adding a short run after that

@Dave:  man, those stomach things are going around...I think my maladies over the weekend were a result of one but it was fairly mild relative to others I've heard about - three different people I talked to today at work (remote) said they were sick with it; hope you get better

@Nicole:  stretching is good - like Natahlie said you're not 37 anymore; you racing at all this year?  Enjoy the cruise. 

@Gretchen:  get Zwift, you can load your Training Peaks workouts there, and you'll probably find your FTP is a little different on a smart trainer vs. a power meter

@Andrew:  pancakes for dinner sounds awesome! 

Hope everyone is having a good week!

2024-02-14 2:03 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Gretchen:  get Zwift, you can load your Training Peaks workouts there, and you'll probably find your FTP is a little different on a smart trainer vs. a power meter

Do I have to get Zwift? Is there a way to just upload workouts from TP into Wahoo's app and do the structured training without the cartoon? I had Zwift when I first got my trainer and had a coach and I just hate it. I see no point in staring at a cartoon riding a bike. It doesn't make the trainer any more engaging for me. It doesn't entertain me. I don't want an extra $15/mo cost associated with this sport.
2024-02-14 2:05 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2300yds in the pool...followed by another 45' in the pool aqua jogging! OMG is that boring!! I do have waterproof headphones, so I've been taking them and listening to my book (West with Giraffes), but it is so boring--nothing to look at but other swimmers who may or may not look like they are drowning.

Later tonight I'll do a 1:15 Z1 recovery ride (although I'm not sure what I'm recovering from...without surface running things feel too easy!).

MRI scheduled for Friday morning and follow up appointment with doc is next Wednesday.

2024-02-14 2:08 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, I'm not surprised the legs didn't feel like a run. That is a pretty brutal workout you did. Nice job.

Re: power meters vs smart trainer. Yup, they will likely measure slightly differently. But for a lot of smart trainers these days you can sync with your power meter, so that you always use the powermeter to do the measuring to keep things consistent. I'm not sure how tech savy you need to be to do that, but probably a good idea if you can.

Me, Wednesday night, being valentine's day, I was intelligent enough to spend some time with Mrs Bullfrog, rather than jump on the bike. Thursday morning, very tired, debated with myself about staying in bed, but coach BF won and I got up to do my 45 minute Z2 foundation run. Nothing special, just building up the miles. Intention is to get on the bike tonight, but we will see how life goes.

Keep on keeping on everyone.
2024-02-14 2:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Do I have to get Zwift? Is there a way to just upload workouts from TP into Wahoo's app and do the structured training without the cartoon? I had Zwift when I first got my trainer and had a coach and I just hate it. I see no point in staring at a cartoon riding a bike. It doesn't make the trainer any more engaging for me. It doesn't entertain me. I don't want an extra $15/mo cost associated with this sport.

No, you don't need zwift, or any 3rd party app to use your smart trainer. If you want to try an alternative, rouvy and fulgaz are similar, but use real courses if you want to pretend to/practice riding real courses. I've never used either, but fulgaz is associated with Ironman if you want to ride kona or some specific race. But if you want to do some online racing, which can be a fun way to get a hard, hard workout in, zwift is probably your best bet.

I'm not sure about compatibility with the wahoo app sorry. But depending on what garmin you've got , you should also be able to use that to control the smart trainer, so could keep syncing things that way?

Wednesday is only a week away. Hopefully you get good news then and this has just been an unplanned mid season rest period

Edited by bulfrog 2024-02-14 2:20 PM
2024-02-15 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  no Zwift needed, though  you will need some kind of software if you want to use the "smart" function of your trainer (ERG mode) where it forces you to hit the wattage targets.  There are a few like Wahoo or Trainer Road that don't have graphics at all (though Wahoo owns Sufferfest so those are there), then of course Zwift, Rouvy, or Fulgaz which have the immersive graphics that are all kind of different.

2024-02-15 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog  Me, Wednesday night, being valentine's day, I was intelligent enough to spend some time with Mrs Bullfrog, rather than jump on the bike. Thursday morning, very tired, debated with myself about staying in bed, but coach BF won and I got up to do my 45 minute Z2 foundation run. Nothing special, just building up the miles. Intention is to get on the bike tonight, but we will see how life goes. Keep on keeping on everyone.

Smart move, Andrew...happy wife happy life and all.  We just had a quiet evening at home as I can't stand going out on holidays like Valentine's, St. Patrick's, NYE, etc.  Everything's expensive, service is bad, and people get way drunker than they should (well, maybe not Valentine's but you get the picture. 

Great job getting out of bed getting the miles in.  Had the same argument with my coach this morning, and he won as well and I got my almost two hours worth at the gym this morning.  The tempo run part was ugly, so I might have to rethink the sequencing of workouts having VO2 max bike on one day and a tempo run the next.  Old Man Mike can't bounce back like he used to. 

2024-02-15 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 2300yds in the pool...followed by another 45' in the pool aqua jogging! OMG is that boring!! I do have waterproof headphones, so I've been taking them and listening to my book (West with Giraffes), but it is so boring--nothing to look at but other swimmers who may or may not look like they are drowning. Later tonight I'll do a 1:15 Z1 recovery ride (although I'm not sure what I'm recovering from...without surface running things feel too easy!). MRI scheduled for Friday morning and follow up appointment with doc is next Wednesday.

Just think, Gretchen...those swimmers who don't know what they're doing are wondering what in the hell that crazy lady is doing going nowhere in the deep end of the pool. 

2024-02-15 12:35 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove 2300yds in the pool...followed by another 45' in the pool aqua jogging! OMG is that boring!! I do have waterproof headphones, so I've been taking them and listening to my book (West with Giraffes), but it is so boring--nothing to look at but other swimmers who may or may not look like they are drowning. Later tonight I'll do a 1:15 Z1 recovery ride (although I'm not sure what I'm recovering from...without surface running things feel too easy!). MRI scheduled for Friday morning and follow up appointment with doc is next Wednesday.

Just think, Gretchen...those swimmers who don't know what they're doing are wondering what in the hell that crazy lady is doing going nowhere in the deep end of the pool. 

True...but, they often also get to see me swim, which is just as ugly as aqua jogging!
2024-02-15 12:42 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I have Wahoo's tech support on my issue with connecting TP and the wahoo app. I've done all the steps they said to do and still nothing. It will get done...somehow. Harry is on the job! (Harry being my tech support rep). He asked me to send him a screenshot of the month in TP and I was all like...ummm..dude...only a week fits on the screen at a time. :D

Up this morning for a 90' cruise interval ride before work. Then at lunch I did strength training and a descending intervals "run" in the pool. Running faster in the pool just means make more splashing...I think. I hope? At least that is what I did.

V-day was one like any other around here. Like Mike, we aren't big on going out for the manufactured holidays (or, any, really). The restaurants around here are mostly mediocre and over-priced with bad service. Add crowded with college students attempting to show their undying live for someone they've known for a semester and a half and I'll be a hard pass.
2024-02-15 4:39 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

The tempo run part was ugly, so I might have to rethink the sequencing of workouts having VO2 max bike on one day and a tempo run the next.  Old Man Mike can't bounce back like he used to. 

Yup, the older we get the more important recovery time after a long or hard workout increases, and matters. I try to alternate hard and easy days, eg. hard tues/thurs/sat, easy the rest of the week. But that isn't always possible.

If you have to do the 2 hard days back to back, maybe try doing the hard run day 1 and hard bike day 2. Biking on tired legs is a lot easier and a lot less likely to end in injury than running on them.
2024-02-15 4:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I have Wahoo's tech support on my issue with connecting TP and the wahoo app. I've done all the steps they said to do and still nothing. It will get done...somehow. Harry is on the job! (Harry being my tech support rep). He asked me to send him a screenshot of the month in TP and I was all like...ummm..dude...only a week fits on the screen at a time. :D

Lets go Harry!

Have you been able to start riding the new trainer without synching everything? How are you enjoying the upgrade?
2024-02-15 4:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Haha, don't get me wrong, personally I think Valentines day was created by the Hallmark and Hershey's marketing departments. If it were up to me I wouldn't even notice it was a 'special' day. Mrs BF however, loves that crap. Oh well such is life.

Got on the bike Thursday night for 90 minutes. Nothing special, just a Z2 endurance ride but was good to get a reasonable length ride in for a change.

This morning was catching up on a bit of sleep, with a half hour easy treadmill run planned for this evening. Then onto a big weekend with a long run, an interval run and hopefully another decent zwift ride.

Have a good weekend everyone.

2024-02-16 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Very solid Friday with a short swim (1400...wanted 1500 but they had to close the pool for a few minutes so I just bailed) and then strength session, lunch 75' on the bike with some long tempo intervals.  A little sluggish in the pool but otherwise a-ok. 

Have a great weekend, BDASers!

2024-02-16 6:59 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A day of best intentions. Went to the pool at 6 for masters, only to find the lifeguards hadn’t shown up. We waited around a bit doing some dry land work until the on call manager showed up. We got started 25’ late, which means I only got in 2150 of my planned 2750 before I had to leave in order to make it to my MRI appointment in the next town over.

That went well…or, at least the tech was happy I’m good at being still and she got some really good images. She said she didn’t see any stress fractures in the bone, but she did see an area of soft tissue light up right in the area of my pain. Of course, the caveat is she’s not a radiologist. I’m trying not to over think it until my appointment next week.

Lunchtime brought me back to the pool for another aqua jog. I made it 1:42 before I was too cold and experiencing cramps in my legs, arms, and core. The run was scheduled to be three hours, so that’s what I was aiming for. I have no idea if that’s the way to go. I tried looking it up and found everything from one hour running is 2.5 hours in the water to 30’ in the water is equal to 1:20 on land. Who knows! I know it is hella hard to get your hr up in the water and my muscles are TIRED—way more so than after a long run.
2024-02-17 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove  Lunchtime brought me back to the pool for another aqua jog. I made it 1:42 before I was too cold and experiencing cramps in my legs, arms, and core. The run was scheduled to be three hours, so that’s what I was aiming for. I have no idea if that’s the way to go. I tried looking it up and found everything from one hour running is 2.5 hours in the water to 30’ in the water is equal to 1:20 on land. Who knows! I know it is hella hard to get your hr up in the water and my muscles are TIRED—way more so than after a long run.

I'm not sure aqua-jogging is going to replicate a long outdoor run (like 3 hours), no matter how you approach it.  I've always seen (and used) aqua-jogging as a stop-gap while injuries heal to try to maintain fitness.  I can't imagine you're going to get any run gains in the pool.  And your HR is pretty easy to explain...no weight bearing and the water keeping your body cooler (and it sounds like you're swimming in a chilly pool given you got really cold).

2024-02-18 1:18 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by drfoodlove  Lunchtime brought me back to the pool for another aqua jog. I made it 1:42 before I was too cold and experiencing cramps in my legs, arms, and core. The run was scheduled to be three hours, so that’s what I was aiming for. I have no idea if that’s the way to go. I tried looking it up and found everything from one hour running is 2.5 hours in the water to 30’ in the water is equal to 1:20 on land. Who knows! I know it is hella hard to get your hr up in the water and my muscles are TIRED—way more so than after a long run.

I'm not sure aqua-jogging is going to replicate a long outdoor run (like 3 hours), no matter how you approach it.  I've always seen (and used) aqua-jogging as a stop-gap while injuries heal to try to maintain fitness.  I can't imagine you're going to get any run gains in the pool.  And your HR is pretty easy to explain...no weight bearing and the water keeping your body cooler (and it sounds like you're swimming in a chilly pool given you got really cold).

I've got to agree with Mike about the limitations of Aqua Jogging. For now I think keep it up, it is only a few days till you're going to have more information, but depending on your MRI results you might have to adjust your program rather than trying to push on just substituting a run for an Aqua Jog.

Another low/no impact run substitute would be spending some time on the elliptical. Have you got permission for that/considered it?
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 125

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland