BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-08-18 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3051536

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
tri808 - 2010-08-18 8:25 PM I assume you mean that you can't get anything from your computer because your sensor is on the front wheel...not the back.

I was in the same situation when I got my trainer.  I had a front mounted sensor, and when I tried to mount the sensor on the chain stay, it was too far away from the computer to read.

I had to get a cat eye double wireless speed and cadence computer.  The speed and cadence sensor mounts on the rear chain stay so it can record data while on the trainer. 

It costs about $90 on amazon.  $110 retail.  There are other cheaper options, but none that I have used.

If money is tight, keep checking the classifieds on here and slowtwitch.com.  When I got my power meter, I sold my cat eye computer for $50 here in the BT classifieds.

Yep, got that backasswords sensor is on front wheel.  I will have to look into the cat eye.. My current is a cheaper model cat eye which only reads miles, time and average.

2010-08-19 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Thanks guys.  I am still on the fence.  I guess I could pretty much sell my rear wheel and buy a used powertap laced into a training/race wheel for about an even trade money-wise.  I still have no idea what kind of wheel to get.  This is obviously a question I should ask wheelbuilder or someone similar.

2010-08-19 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3052184

User image

Champion
my three choices would be

first would be find one built into a hed jet race wheel (you can train on this no issues)
Find one built onto a DT swiss rim (my personal choice for a PT hub on a training wheel
or a mavic open pro. this thing is bomb proof and should last for a long time.

as for the computer on the trainer. this does not solve the issue outside but if its too short cable/distance wise to make it to the rear wheel just put the computer on the top tube while on the trainer, or do what my dad did and just set the computer on the table next to yo u(wireless one).
2010-08-19 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3052439

User image

newbz - 2010-08-19 6:24 AM my three choices would be first would be find one built into a hed jet race wheel (you can train on this no issues) Find one built onto a DT swiss rim (my personal choice for a PT hub on a training wheel or a mavic open pro. this thing is bomb proof and should last for a long time.

as for the computer on the trainer. this does not solve the issue outside but if its too short cable/distance wise to make it to the rear wheel just put the computer on the top tube while on the trainer, or do what my dad did and just set the computer on the table next to yo u(wireless one).

I believe Carl and I got the same wheel build for our PT.  The kinlin xr300 which is also a pretty sturdy training wheel.  The Mavic Open Pro and the DT swiss is going to be the majority of what you find used on ebay though.  Both solid rims for training...stick a wheel cover on it and you're good to go.

I tried to do the same thing with my computer on the trainer.  I put it on a stool next to me so it could read.  Problem was I had to move the sensor back to the front fork if I wanted my computer to work on the road.  If you're not going to be switching back and forth a lot from trainer to road, then this is a good option.  Takes maybe 5 minutes to move the sensor back and forth from fork to chain stay.

Edited by tri808 2010-08-19 3:11 PM
2010-08-19 7:07 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
I don't know if I am capable of moving the sensor around on my bike - It is on there pretty good and since it doesn't have cadence I think I am ready for an upgrade. So I looked online at Bike Nashbar and there seem to be a couple of options for a computer that will work on the trainer (with cadence) and the price varies from about $40 to $90. They are on sale and I have a coupon - so I guess I just need to decide whether I want wireless or not. Are there any advantages to going wireless? 
2010-08-19 7:15 PM

User image

Advantage of wireless is..."no wires"...LOL

Ok...so I guess what's the downside of wired???  Not much.

- it doesn't look as clean on your bike as you'll have zip ties all over your frame to hold the wire in place.
- additional zip ties and the wire weigh more, which will make you slower...KIDDING 
- it's possible the wire could get damaged during riding, transport, etc.  If the wire gets cut...you need to buy a whole new computer.  They usually don't sell replacement wired sensors.
- it's just not "as cool" as having wireless

2010-08-19 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3053755

User image

Champion
keep in mind some cheap wireless compputers dont pick up as well as the cheap wired ones, so do your reaserch on which ones you pick
2010-08-20 6:41 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
We had an awesome gathering at the tri club last night.  Trek/KSwiss Pros Joe Gambles and Heather Jackson hung out with us and had a question/answer session for about two hours.  Very nice and down to earth people.  Heather is racing Timberman this Sunday and hopes to break the bike course record....the last race she did, she averaged something like 25 mph over the 56 miles.  Pretty awesome.

In sad news, we lost our family dog last night.  Oliver, our yellow lab was killed in front of my dad's house by a car.  He was a beatiful dog with a peaceful and loving heart.
2010-08-20 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3054148

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
jgerbodegrant - 2010-08-20 8:41 PM We had an awesome gathering at the tri club last night.  Trek/KSwiss Pros Joe Gambles and Heather Jackson hung out with us and had a question/answer session for about two hours.  Very nice and down to earth people.  Heather is racing Timberman this Sunday and hopes to break the bike course record....the last race she did, she averaged something like 25 mph over the 56 miles.  Pretty awesome.

In sad news, we lost our family dog last night.  Oliver, our yellow lab was killed in front of my dad's house by a car.  He was a beatiful dog with a peaceful and loving heart.

Sorry to hear about Oliver....it is always tough to lose a family pet.  Cry 
2010-08-20 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3054238

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
dcon - 2010-08-20 8:02 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2010-08-20 8:41 PM We had an awesome gathering at the tri club last night.  Trek/KSwiss Pros Joe Gambles and Heather Jackson hung out with us and had a question/answer session for about two hours.  Very nice and down to earth people.  Heather is racing Timberman this Sunday and hopes to break the bike course record....the last race she did, she averaged something like 25 mph over the 56 miles.  Pretty awesome.

Sorry to hear about Oliver....it is always tough to lose a family pet.  Cry 

x2
2010-08-20 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2010-08-20 7:41 AM We had an awesome gathering at the tri club last night.  Trek/KSwiss Pros Joe Gambles and Heather Jackson hung out with us and had a question/answer session for about two hours.  Very nice and down to earth people.  Heather is racing Timberman this Sunday and hopes to break the bike course record....the last race she did, she averaged something like 25 mph over the 56 miles.  Pretty awesome.

We have a chocolate Lab that is starting to fade.  She has lost 6 lbs since April from an already lean 62lbs.  she eats almost nothing we give her and throws up a lot. Sometimes a couple of times a day.  We had her stomach scoped this week and are waiting on the biopsy results, which should be in next week.  She's my dog too, so I am not liking all the stuff she's going through right now.  BTW, shes 11yrs old and our vet says the life expectancy is 12 for most labs.  It will be a sad day for me when we have to put her down.  So I am, in some ways, feeling your pain.

2010-08-20 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I got my long run in this morning and it was AGONIZING.  I know sometimes these runs are kinda painful or whatever, but today SUCKED.  The last 2 miles were torturous and I wanted so bad to quit.  I didn't eat much yesterday for supper and I didn't get as much sleep as I would like to have gotten last night.  But it's over now and I am more prepared for the upcoming race because of this run.

Now I have to go shopping for a new fridge because our other one is almost dead.  I have noticing this slow fade all week and we are going to get another one before this one crashes.  This one is just over 15 yrs. old so I am not bothering with a repair.

50 mile ride tomorrow.

2010-08-20 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
jgerbodegrant - 2010-08-20 6:41 AM We had an awesome gathering at the tri club last night.  Trek/KSwiss Pros Joe Gambles and Heather Jackson hung out with us and had a question/answer session for about two hours.  Very nice and down to earth people.  Heather is racing Timberman this Sunday and hopes to break the bike course record....the last race she did, she averaged something like 25 mph over the 56 miles.  Pretty awesome.

So sorry to hear about your dog - that really sucks! Hang in there.
2010-08-20 10:49 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
I sent the kids to daycare today and spent all day in my classroom. I was moving furniture, making copies, setting up materials, putting up bulletin boards, etc. And I am still nowhere close to being ready! I'm gonna go in Mon & Tues also, so I will hopefully be all sent up by Weds which is the teachers' 1st day back (kids start the following Mon). Although they do give us time to work in our rooms, there are a lot of meetings and last minute stuff always comes up. So, I will feel a lot better having my room totally ready before then.

Didn't get in my run today b/c my husband had to work early (5am) and then went out with some friends tonight (so I'm with the kids). I wanted to try and get to the gym and do a treadmill run in the afternoon, but got caught up in the classroom.

OWS tomorrow with my swim group. Long run with my running group Sun.
2010-08-20 11:37 PM
in reply to: #3056161

User image

Champion
i also missed my run today, went fishing for 4 hours instead!!
2010-08-21 7:44 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
haha...the Newbz is human.

Heading up to the lake for Timberman.  Have a great weekend all! 

2010-08-21 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3056273

User image

Champion
hahaha indeed.

I caught 4 catfish over 16 pounds! was a good evening, but now my legs look like bugzilla was here.

good luck this weekend!!
2010-08-21 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3056273

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
jgerbodegrant - 2010-08-21 7:44 AM haha...the Newbz is human.

Heading up to the lake for Timberman.  Have a great weekend all! 

Knock 'em dead!!!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!
2010-08-21 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Made it up to the top of Roger's Canyon today.  It is only a 20 mile ride from my house but there is 1050 ft of climbing most of which is the last 1 1/2 miles before you turn around and head back. Had to stop 2x to get my HR under control and almost puked - but I did it! Next time will be easier.

2010-08-21 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3056468

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
robingray_260 - 2010-08-21 1:40 PM

Made it up to the top of Roger's Canyon today.  It is only a 20 mile ride from my house but there is 1050 ft of climbing most of which is the last 1 1/2 miles before you turn around and head back. Had to stop 2x to get my HR under control and almost puked - but I did it! Next time will be easier.

Awesome!  I guess you got a good workout in today.  Anytime you almost puke means an incredible workout.

I got 2 good workouts in this weekend.  My 14 mile run yesterday and a 52 mile ride today and my legs are trashed, along with the rest of my body.  I got home today and told my wife I was done, don't ask me to do anything.  My meals before these workouts were a little to low on carbs and other energy sources.  I was 10 miles from home today and I could only muster up enough legs to get up to about 19mph with a tailwind of 11 mph.  Normally I would be around 21 mph with that kind of tailwind.  I am gonna sleep good tonight.

I couldn't have puked for either workout though.  I couldn't have, my body didn't have the energy to go through all that work.

2010-08-22 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3056798

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Dirk - great job on your workouts.  Usually, i only feel like puking when I mountain bike.  But, there were some killer hills (9% or so) on that ride yesterday and the ascent was nonstop for those few miles.  I find if my HR gets above 170 on the bike that is the point where I feel like fainting and throwing up - also I forget to breathe.

This is the start of my next 2 BIG weeks before tapering for the last race.  Kids will be in school, so I should be able to juggle working and working out. I will attempt my longest run today (about 1hour10min) and hopefully it will be a trail run.

2010-08-22 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
So, I have been in somewhat of a dilemna lately.  new mountain bike vs. new road bike.  What I really want is a  new road bike.  However, my mountain bike (specialized rock hopper) is almost 20 years old and has NO suspension, while my road bike is only 6 years old and is in good shape - just a lower end bike (Fuji Finest). Unfortunately, don't have the $ to buy both. So, I am in the hunt for either a hard tail or full suspension mountain bike. Most likely a womens, since I need a shorter top tube.  Does anyone have any thoughts of brand/model that you like?  I am hoping to get a great closeout deal at one of the LBS, which may dictate the make and model. Maybe next year I can get that sweet new Felt I have had my eyes on!
2010-08-22 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3057115

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
robingray_260 - 2010-08-22 10:13 AM So, I have been in somewhat of a dilemna lately.  new mountain bike vs. new road bike.  What I really want is a  new road bike.  However, my mountain bike (specialized rock hopper) is almost 20 years old and has NO suspension, while my road bike is only 6 years old and is in good shape - just a lower end bike (Fuji Finest). Unfortunately, don't have the $ to buy both. So, I am in the hunt for either a hard tail or full suspension mountain bike. Most likely a womens, since I need a shorter top tube.  Does anyone have any thoughts of brand/model that you like?  I am hoping to get a great closeout deal at one of the LBS, which may dictate the make and model. Maybe next year I can get that sweet new Felt I have had my eyes on!

I'm not a mountain biker so I got nothing here.  I have only been on a bike for the past year son I couldn't really offer much advice for a new roadie either.  Once I can afford a new bike it will be a tri-bike for sure.  Trouble is I will be paying for 2 girls to go to a parochial HS for 3 more years, so unless I hit the lottery it'll be a while.

2010-08-22 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3057410

User image

Champion
does anyone know johns last name? wanting to check and see how his race at timberman goes.

as for the bike choice, tough call.

I'm torn between the two right now as well, mtb would let me ride over the winter, commute in snow, etc.

road bike would be more fun to train on + bike races

(i say this like i have money for either)
2010-08-22 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3057410

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
DirkP - 2010-08-22 2:56 PM
robingray_260 - 2010-08-22 10:13 AM So, I have been in somewhat of a dilemna lately.  new mountain bike vs. new road bike.  What I really want is a  new road bike.  However, my mountain bike (specialized rock hopper) is almost 20 years old and has NO suspension, while my road bike is only 6 years old and is in good shape - just a lower end bike (Fuji Finest). Unfortunately, don't have the $ to buy both. So, I am in the hunt for either a hard tail or full suspension mountain bike. Most likely a womens, since I need a shorter top tube.  Does anyone have any thoughts of brand/model that you like?  I am hoping to get a great closeout deal at one of the LBS, which may dictate the make and model. Maybe next year I can get that sweet new Felt I have had my eyes on!

I'm not a mountain biker so I got nothing here.  I have only been on a bike for the past year son I couldn't really offer much advice for a new roadie either.  Once I can afford a new bike it will be a tri-bike for sure.  Trouble is I will be paying for 2 girls to go to a parochial HS for 3 more years, so unless I hit the lottery it'll be a while.

Oh yeah? then they will be in college!  You won't be getting any financial relief for a while. 

I have thought about getting a tri bike one day, but it will be in the distant future and I am not sure it makes sense for where I live.  I need my triple chain ring for all the frickin' hills/mountains.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105