BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-07-28 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed for Training
Door. County race report is here http://blog.ransick.org/2012/07/door-county-703.html. It's kind of long, sorry.

2012-07-28 9:37 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!
training going okay, just back from a 31 mile ride interrupted by four horses in the middle of the road.  I live and ride in a fairly rural area (we have 3 horses on our pasture) and its not unusual to see wildlife or (in this case) not so wildlife on the road.

Vacation starts in 5 days!  Heading off to Hilton Head for a few days and will be a good break for me. 

Mike- congrats on the race!  Sounds like you had a blast but can I recommend a can of aerosal suntan lotion for next time? Smile

2012-07-29 12:16 AM

User image

Expert

Mike Great 70.3.  I know how it feels to do 69.1 and just waiting to get an official 70.3.  Excellent report as well, loved reading it and it felt familiar.  Help me figure out how to start a blog.  Any good references?  Yours looks so polished, and I want my kids to be able to blog from New Zealand next year.

Gary happy vacation!

2012-07-29 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4335837

User image

Master
St. Louis
leftrunner - 2012-07-29 12:16 AM

Mike Great 70.3.  I know how it feels to do 69.1 and just waiting to get an official 70.3.  Excellent report as well, loved reading it and it felt familiar.  Help me figure out how to start a blog.  Any good references?  Yours looks so polished, and I want my kids to be able to blog from New Zealand next year.

Gary happy vacation!

Thanks!Regarding the blog, I just created an account on blogger.com, used a standard template then added a few standard widgets on the right side. Every once in a while I'll tweak something but like you said, the standard layout looks nice and clean. I took out the domain name ransick.org so it would appear as my site but it just redirects visitors to blogger.com. Go make a test blog there and check it out. One trick I learned was to look at your blog post from a different PC than the one you created it on. Two mistakes I make sometimes is not sizing the pictures right so they look fine in the editor but not once the blog is posted and if I cut and paste text, blogger will change the text to white and leave the background white so you can't read the text. Let us know when the link is when you start one. I find it a great way to let my family and friends know what I'm up to as well as a place to log lessons learned that I sometimes go back and read.Mike
2012-07-29 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4335285

User image

Master
St. Louis
GaryRM - 2012-07-28 9:37 AM

Hey all!
training going okay, just back from a 31 mile ride interrupted by four horses in the middle of the road.  I live and ride in a fairly rural area (we have 3 horses on our pasture) and its not unusual to see wildlife or (in this case) not so wildlife on the road.

Vacation starts in 5 days!  Heading off to Hilton Head for a few days and will be a good break for me. 

Mike- congrats on the race!  Sounds like you had a blast but can I recommend a can of aerosal suntan lotion for next time? Smile

I did put on sunscreen, I just did a horrible job :-(. There are two blotches on my back that the spray reached and run marks where the lotion ran down. If I can figure out how to add a photo to a post, I'll so you my race number sunburned into my arm :-)
2012-07-30 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4323668

User image

Expert
Hammond
Dorm57 - 2012-07-21 7:33 PM

Gary ... first TDF challenge for me too and I won't make my goal either.  Thunder, lightning and rain this Thursday and Friday coupled with last Sunday's crash did me in.  My left leg was swollen, black and blue this morning ... I guess some residual from the crash finally crept in.  My goal was "time" and looks like I'll finish at 87% - 88% ... CRAP! 

Ms. Shelly on the other hand is 100% ... WootWoot - great job Shelly!!

Like you, I'll be glad when this is over with as I'd like to get back to the other sides of training ... running and swimming.

Thanks Dorm- but I still think you are the beast for hammering it out that last day. That was just sheer determination. It made me go out and ride some more. So you definitely get a WOOT WOOT yourself!

Gary congrats on meeting your goal and your team sharing the win- you get a WOOT WOOT as well.

Shelly

2012-07-30 9:56 PM
in reply to: #4338405

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
fitmomma2010 - 2012-07-30 9:37 PM
Dorm57 - 2012-07-21 7:33 PM

Gary ... first TDF challenge for me too and I won't make my goal either.  Thunder, lightning and rain this Thursday and Friday coupled with last Sunday's crash did me in.  My left leg was swollen, black and blue this morning ... I guess some residual from the crash finally crept in.  My goal was "time" and looks like I'll finish at 87% - 88% ... CRAP! 

Ms. Shelly on the other hand is 100% ... WootWoot - great job Shelly!!

Like you, I'll be glad when this is over with as I'd like to get back to the other sides of training ... running and swimming.

Thanks Dorm- but I still think you are the beast for hammering it out that last day. That was just sheer determination. It made me go out and ride some more. So you definitely get a WOOT WOOT yourself! Gary congrats on meeting your goal and your team sharing the win- you get a WOOT WOOT as well. Shelly

Thanks and congrats to you two!  Great competition I and I had way more rides than I normally would have.  Some of the folks on my team just killed the miles. I have to admit I have cut back my riding a little since and running more now.

So one more day and I am off on my vacation.  Hopefully one more run and swim then relaxation time.  I don't have any plans to workout but I will probably hit the treadmill once or twice.  Will be in the pool a lot but mainly splashing with the kids and doing the waterslide.  Will be back in town on Aug 6th.  Everyone be good while I am gone or at least take pictures!!!

2012-07-31 8:19 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!

6 mile run in this morning and I am done until after vacation.  Catch you all August 7th!

2012-07-31 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4340204

User image

Master
St. Louis
GaryRM - 2012-07-31 8:19 PM

Hey all!

6 mile run in this morning and I am done until after vacation.  Catch you all August 7th!

Have a great vacation!
2012-08-01 12:25 PM

User image

Keller
Gary. What is your training volume in each event at peak week before you start tapering for a 70.3?

As you guys know the wife is prego, and found a few weeks ago that there are TWO buns cooking. So, I am having to alter my training to 1 work out per day in the morning. So in theory, I will be shooting for lots of volume each day, and throwing out speed work. Opinions? I am down to 12 weeks to race, so the right plan change is crucial to my confidence for my first 70.3 attempt.

Got a good 1800 straight swim today, and I think I am getting close to a sub 2.5 m/yard pace. But - I am not completely confident in my lap counting.

Short 45 min ride yesterday. I am treating this week like a recovery week, until I decide how I am going to adapt my training plan.

Any and All advice would be welcome.

Tracy
2012-08-01 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4341406

User image

Master
St. Louis

stratigos - 2012-08-01 12:25 PM Gary. What is your training volume in each event at peak week before you start tapering for a 70.3?

As you guys know the wife is prego, and found a few weeks ago that there are TWO buns cooking. So, I am having to alter my training to 1 work out per day in the morning. So in theory, I will be shooting for lots of volume each day, and throwing out speed work. Opinions? I am down to 12 weeks to race, so the right plan change is crucial to my confidence for my first 70.3 attempt.

Got a good 1800 straight swim today, and I think I am getting close to a sub 2.5 m/yard pace. But - I am not completely confident in my lap counting.

Short 45 min ride yesterday. I am treating this week like a recovery week, until I decide how I am going to adapt my training plan.

Any and All advice would be welcome.

Tracy

I put the plan I loosely followed online here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar5EpJvYM2b1dEs0VjFhZlR3Rnh0R1o3WFd1NG1rUXc#gid=0 . Let me know if you have trouble opening it or have any questions.

Due to injuring my knees, I didn't do any of the speed work or intervals the last 12 weeks.  I also missed workout due to work, life, vacations, etc.  I think the big weekend workouts are the key.  I had several 50+ mile rides and while i was ready to get off my saddle after 56 miles, I still felt strong.  I cut several long runs short because of 100+ temps and subsequently struggled on the run but still felt strong when I finished.

2012-08-06 6:28 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!
Just back in town from vacation, not much training but a lot of exercise!  Had a blast, will catch up with everyone including the training question soon.  Hope all is well and everyone's training is going well.

2012-08-07 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

So, first the vacation.  Lots of fun as we did a lot of stuff.  Kayaking, horse back riding, beach trips, pools (slide!), crabbing, etc.  We also spent a day on Daufuskie Island with golf carts which included a water ferry there and back.  Despite all of the activity I gained a few pounds but suspect that a few days back on the diet/training and they will come off pretty quick.  I have to go back to work tomorrow and I am in no hurry.

Got a 20 mile ride in today, a bit stiff but felt great.

As for the question about volume prior to taper my first few HIM's I basically shot for volume and didn't worry about speedwork etc but after reading Time Crunched Triathlete I am not sure that is the best idea.  I like the idea of concentrating on intensity more than volume.  Not to say volume is not important but I think balancing the two is probably a much better idea.  So on this HIM I am going to include more intensity.  So, for example, I do one short, medium, and one long ride per week (occasionally adding one more ride).  The short ride will be where I concentrate on intensity.  Long rides will be in the 2-3 hr range.

Tracey - If you are only going to do one workout per day I would definitely take a look at Time Crunched Triathlete by Chris Carmichael.  It helped me on my sprint and will use it for my upcoming races.

Gotta run!

2012-08-11 11:55 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Where did everyone go?

Back from vacation, catching up at work and restarted workouts.  Things are good, how is everyone's training?

2012-08-11 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4358495

Sorry been M.I.A. here for awhile-

Got busy with life and have been out of town every weekend for a month. Was able to keep up the training (for the most part) but not nearly as much as I wanted. First tri coming up next Sunday 8/19 and I just signed up for another a few weeks from now - Rev3 Cedar Point - Sprint 9/8.

Glad to see everyone is having a good summer - Dorm (I think it was you ...I just read thru the last 3 pages of posts) hope the road rash is healing and you got thru the accident ok.

2012-08-12 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4358495

User image

Expert
Hammond
GaryRM - 2012-08-11 11:55 AM

Where did everyone go?

Back from vacation, catching up at work and restarted workouts.  Things are good, how is everyone's training?

Sorry- I've been racing and training and was just exhausted this week. Trying to catch up in both my groups now.

I raced last Sunday and it was my best and worse race all in one. I was only a few seconds faster in the swim than my first race and actually slower than my second race, slightly faster on the bike than both my other races and slightly slower on the run than both my other races- BUT- I felt awesome. It was by far the hardest, most challenging race I've ever done. It was the longest distance swim, the bike was 18 miles with most of it being hills and the run was hilly as well. Mentally and physically the course was a beast for me and I finished it with pretty close to the same times for my flat course races. That to me was pretty major improvement.

Then I came home and on Wednesday rode 41 miles with 15 of it being hill intervals- I am so excited to find some hills to train on. It's about a 45min drive from my house but will add so much more to my training.

So it's been a great week but an exhausting one. Between the race, the bike riding and work, I've just gone to bed exhausted everynight. I get on the computer with the intention of checking in,  I manage to read a few messages and then fall asleep with the ipad in my lap- lol.

Hope everyone is having great training and racing,

Shelly

Edited by fitmomma2010 2012-08-12 11:19 PM

2012-08-12 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Shelly - Congrats on the race!  I have never done River Cities but would love to someday.  Really liked the RR, great job and hope you are back at it soon.  Any more races this year?  Did you decide on Sugarman?
2012-08-12 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4358700

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
oufly - 2012-08-11 5:16 PM

Got busy with life and have been out of town every weekend for a month. Was able to keep up the training (for the most part) but not nearly as much as I wanted. First tri coming up next Sunday 8/19 and I just signed up for another a few weeks from now - Rev3 Cedar Point - Sprint 9/8.

Good luck on the 19th!!

2012-08-12 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4359426

User image

Expert
Hammond
GaryRM - 2012-08-12 1:45 PMShelly - Congrats on the race!  I have never done River Cities but would love to someday.  Really liked the RR, great job and hope you are back at it soon.  Any more races this year?  Did you decide on Sugarman?
I really, really enjoyed River Cities. Best race schwag of any races I've done. Recieved a large Asics duffle bag, tech t-shirt, regular t- shirt, flip flops, sunglasses, race cap, shoulder tote bag, running socks and all sorts of gels, power bar and ointment samples. The race was very organized and the course was really nice. Pretty scenery and very challenging. They also had lots of cooling stations/ options on the run. Three water stations with ice rags at each plus two cooling mist sprayers in between the water stations. I highly recommend it as a race. My only complaint was that I think they needed a few more kayaks. But overall a great race.I am pretty sure I am doing Sugarman. Just need to get my buns registered. I am waiting on dh to decide if he really wants to ride the MS Race to cure ride. It's the same weekend. I think we've ruled it out but waiting for him to decide 100%. I'll make him decide for sure in the next couple of days but really thinking we don't have the time to properly train for this year so pretty Sugarman will win out.I am also planning on a 5k run in September, and the Girl Power sprint tri in September. Waiting on work to approve the days off to register. I'll add it all to the calendar as soon I register for each, but I'm definitely getting at least one more race in before the season end.Shelly
2012-08-12 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I've been out of the action for a while too ... still recovering from the crash.  I swam some last week and really felt it in the shoulder, so decided to take it easy and only swam ~1/2mile.  Road rash and knee are healing up nicely (thanks for asking Oufly) and beside this LIFE is just there every time I'm slotted for training.  The crash has caused me to re-evaluate the races for the remainder of the year.  I totally missed out on the race planned for August and I've changed to a sprint in lieu of the Oly in October.

I will say that I'm more cautious with preparation now and keeping my 'eyes' focused further down the road than in the past.  It's one thing to crash at ~20mph ... 40mph is an invitation to really serious injury.  Sorry to be a Debby Downer

2012-08-12 8:16 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Dorm - glad to hear you are recovering.  Better to take is easy and heal.  There will be lots of races down the road.

Well, pulled a bone-headed move today.  Dropped off kids at church youth group and went for my planned 8.5 mile run.  Now, its 4:30 pm and hot as blazes out there.  I have plenty of powerade at my truck and one gel along with a saltstick capsule (at the truck).  Start running and don't start my run/walk cycle until mile 4 and didn't follow it consistantly.  Mile 4 I stop for some water and gel.  Mile 6.3 I stop at my truck and drink a bunch of powerade (0 calorie stuff) and talk my salt.  I really needed more than that but took off for the last 2.2 miles.  Well by mile 7 I am really feeling it, hungry, out of energy and turn around and head in.  Managed about 8.3 miles but at a very slow pace.  Got to my truck and demolished a bottle of powerade.  Tried a rice krispie bar in my truck but it was way out of date and dumped it.  Headed to gas station and gatorade (real stuff with calories) and a candy bar to revive myself.  Felt better after that but took me a full hour to really get myself back to normal. 

Next time I will be better prepared.  Also, I haven't been running much that last two weeks and this was a bit much based upon the volume.  Live and learn.

2012-08-15 9:54 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Went out for a run tonight and the first two miles my legs were tight but after that they loosened up.  Hour on the trainer yesterday with intervals didn't help the cause.   I am soo looking forward to fall and cooler temps!
2012-08-17 1:49 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Hey all!  Sorry for my absence.  Things just got out of control in a hurry!  So much new stuff going on.  Oldest started kindergarten and playing football (which I coach), and blah blah.  I've still been training almost daily, just haven't had the chance to get to the computer to log it and say hi.  By the time daily activities are done, I usually fall asleep sitting up.

A few new things for me.  Ran my first stand alone 5k in years.  Very hilly course, but managed a 22:41.  Good enough for 15th in AG and 146th/21000 (I won't say how many walkers!) overall.  A little disappointed because I believe I could have been in under 22, but pleased nonetheless.

Also started a Hank Haney half marathon training plan this week for the Kansas City Marathon in October.  Its a 12 week plan I cut to 10 to fit it in, but I think my base is already there and skipping the first two weeks won't matter too much (I hope).

And I'll be going in a local sprint tri next week.  Last tri of the season I have on the schedule unless I stumble into another fun one.

Gary, sounds like your vacation was a blast!  Glad you had a good time.

Talk to you guys much sooner this time!

Chris

2012-08-17 8:54 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Chris- nice job on the 5k, considering my best time for a 5k is 24:36 you are definitely faster than me.

Swam and ran today but both workouts pointed to me being tired and sore.  Plus while swimming my shoulder started to ache a little.  Probably will take tomorrow off. 

To add insult to injury (or in this case soreness) my wife (a vet) needed the weight of our dogs soooo. Weigh myself, get off scale, pick up lightest dog and she is 48 pounds, Oh this isn't good.  Next dog 75 pounds, can't we just guess at the last dogs weight?  Last dog, 120 lbs, ouch!  No back injury but the third dog is on a diet down to 110 pounds.  Next time, I am hauling the dogs to her office!

2012-08-19 6:25 PM

User image

Keller

Thought I would share a FB post.

Your windshield & My boogers:

To that wonderful person in the little black car that seemed to get upset about my decorative additions to your windshield as you passed me doing in 50 in a 35, unable to stay in your lane. And - you did so close enough to my knee that I was able to notice your phone still in texting position with out leaving the Aero position. 
----My vehicle of choice may not have a combustible engine, but I do not appologize for polluting the air with my bright green excriment that happens to match my bright green riding jersey - that you should have seen a mile away.
----I had the right of way in the lane......that other people call the shoulder of the road!!!  It was my lane.  I was holding 30mph, which by state law is not impeding traffic in a 35 zone, especially when there are three actual lanes.
----I do appreciate you pulling your car over to wait on me to discuss the friendly hand gestures I used to communicate with you.   I am sorry that I couldn't take time to meet you,  But --- I was 3.5 hours into a 4 hour ride, and I was just too tire to show you why short 150lb moron should not try to have conversations with a 6'1 210lb gentleman.   I DID TAKE TIME TO ADD MORE SPECIAL BECK BOOGERS as I rode by you.  That should count for some kind of consideration?
----At the end of the day.  You should be greatful for getting some of bodily fluids for keepsake.  You obviously wanted it, since you drove so @#%* close to me.  Normally, I don't charge people for clearing my nasal air ways.  I really do feel my green meanies really were an additive value to your vehicle and life.  Please let me know where I can I send the bill.  I will even throw in some more decorations in the envelope.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115