BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 87

2011-04-10 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3256199

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED

My training volumes are screwed up. I had a MTB race last weekend, and then next weekend at Winding Trails, followed by one more on April 23rd.  How do I get in the volume, and still have fresh legs?

Next weekend is also the first race of two races that will be part of the Route 66 CT State Championship.  Points combined from Winding Trails and the race on april 23rd will crown the CT State Champ in all three classes (Pro/Expert, Sport and Beginner), so I want to do well.  This is new this year.

Edited by rizer22 2011-04-10 8:03 AM

2011-04-10 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3438347

User image

New Haven, CT

Rizer - haven't posted pics yet, I need to do a little more work on it.  As for both keeping up volume and being fresh, you either need to race at teh end of a rest week, formally taper or race through the training.  Unless the race is an "A" priority race, at most I take an extra rest day.  For example, the day before kelly's race, I did a hour ride and 30 minute run.  Had that been an A race, I probably would gone easy all week and have done a 2 mile light jog and 5 or so pick ups. 

2011-04-10 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3438347

rizer22 - 2011-04-10 8:56 AM

My training volumes are screwed up. I had a MTB race last weekend, and then next weekend at Winding Trails, followed by one more on April 23rd.  How do I get in the volume, and still have fresh legs?

Next weekend is also the first race of two races that will be part of the Route 66 CT State Championship.  Points combined from Winding Trails and the race on april 23rd will crown the CT State Champ in all three classes (Pro/Expert, Sport and Beginner), so I want to do well.  This is new this year.

Hey rizer,

If you like mountain biking you may want to come down to florida they have tracks set up all over with bike bridges and stuff. Pretty cool I don't think you get the elavation changes you get in the north east but still challenging. Good Luck with the races!

Edited by pbrown70 2011-04-10 4:27 PM
2011-04-10 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3438676

User image

Expert
jsklarz - 2011-04-10 3:59 PM

Rizer - haven't posted pics yet, I need to do a little more work on it.  As for both keeping up volume and being fresh, you either need to race at teh end of a rest week, formally taper or race through the training.  Unless the race is an "A" priority race, at most I take an extra rest day.  For example, the day before kelly's race, I did a hour ride and 30 minute run.  Had that been an A race, I probably would gone easy all week and have done a 2 mile light jog and 5 or so pick ups. 

Makes sense.  My "A" race is not until August.  It's only a Sprint distance Tri, but it's in my hometown, so i want to do well.  The MTB races are a series put on from April - September.  I'll stick to my training plan (other than swimming, I haven't done anything for that) and just take a rest day 2 days prior, and a light spin the day before these races.  Thanks for the advice.

2011-04-10 6:03 PM

User image

Expert

Took the family to Bluff Point in Groton today. Never been there, but it was my understanding there is a main loop that goes around the point, that's pretty family freindly.  Somehow, I took a wrong turn and put us on the very rocky singletrack.  I have my 3 year old on the front of my bike on a "WeeRide" set up, my 6 year old on his new Specialized MTB, and my wife on hers, who is very beginner when it comes to technical stuff.  I felt awful putting them through that.  Mostly walked the bikes up the hills until we found the main trail again.  Ughhhhhh

1 hour and 45 minutes = 4.35 miles. Yell   Either way, it was a gorgeous day for weather, and great to get out and expose them to what I love.

2011-04-11 5:39 AM
in reply to: #3438862

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
rizer22 - 2011-04-10 6:58 PM

Makes sense.  My "A" race is not until August.  It's only a Sprint distance Tri, but it's in my hometown, so i want to do well.  The MTB races are a series put on from April - September.  I'll stick to my training plan (other than swimming, I haven't done anything for that) and just take a rest day 2 days prior, and a light spin the day before these races.  Thanks for the advice.

You just need to train through the "races" and make up the additional volume post-"race."  In my schedule, I only race at the end of rest weeks (with the exception of my 2 A races -- one in July and one in November) and even when racing at the end of rest weeks, I still have additional volume to complete post race. 

Racing is a dessert.  Every once in a while its a super tasty treat, but it you have it all the time, the sugar will make you sick.

2011-04-11 6:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

TI workshop went really well.  I am sick of being in the pool though

Started off the workshop with a stroke count of 18.  My problems seem to be crossing over (particularly on the left side), swimming with my eyes facing the wall v. the bottom of the pool, and over rotation (90 v 70).  She said my stroke wasn't bad, but there was definitely room for improvement.  Yesterday my stroke count was 12.  With speed, she said it would be more like 15, which it ended up being once I set my tempo trainer to an appropriate tempo for me.  I'm opening up a lot more but still having some problems with that left side.  I am balanced now, and looking toward the bottom of the pool instead of in front of me is becoming more natural.  I just have to practice what I've learned.  I think it will take a while.  I will post some before and after videos once I receive them in the mail.  I had gotten my 100 time down to 1:30 last week.  I swam lots of 1:20s yesterday

Knee is feeling much better.  8 mile run on tap for this morning.  I am supposed to go for a speed day at the pool, but I'm just not sure I can stand it today.  8 hours in the pool this weekend and I need a break.  I don't know....I'll play it by ear. 

Edited by jarvy01 2011-04-11 6:32 AM
2011-04-11 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3439344

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
jarvy01 - 2011-04-11 7:30 AM

Started off the workshop with a stroke count of 18.  My problems seem to be crossing over (particularly on the left side), swimming with my eyes facing the wall v. the bottom of the pool, and over rotation (90 v 70).  She said my stroke wasn't bad, but there was definitely room for improvement.  Yesterday my stroke count was 12.  With speed, she said it would be more like 15, which it ended up being once I set my tempo trainer to an appropriate tempo for me.  I'm opening up a lot more but still having some problems with that left side.  I am balanced now, and looking toward the bottom of the pool instead of in front of me is becoming more natural.  I just have to practice what I've learned.  I think it will take a while.  I will post some before and after videos once I receive them in the mail.  I had gotten my 100 time down to 1:30 last week.  I swam lots of 1:20s yesterday

Knee is feeling much better.  8 mile run on tap for this morning.  I am supposed to go for a speed day at the pool, but I'm just not sure I can stand it today.  8 hours in the pool this weekend and I need a break.  I don't know....I'll play it by ear. 

I wouldn't be able to handle another day in the pool.  Just remember when you're doing your speed work to try and maintain your form improvements and not slip back. 

2011-04-11 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT

heading to the pool at 11 instead of 5:30 am. Just too crowded then. I am lucky for enough flexibility in my schedule to change. Also the HS swim coach is usually the LG and she will give me feedback on my stroke. I am crossing over on my stroke and not getting my elbows up high. So drills it is.

I was also shooting a thing with our Mayor over a the JR High and was able to talk with a friend who just did IMLB. He and his wife are doing a nine mile run this afternoon and I will join then-Longest run for me in over 10 years- If I don't ever post again you will know I didn't make it. Wish me luck

2011-04-11 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3439323

User image

Expert
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-11 6:39 AM
rizer22 - 2011-04-10 6:58 PM

\I can undestand doing too many Tri's may make you "sick".  I know what you mean.  These races are part of a series though, and points accumalate throught the season.  I am only doing 7 of the 14 races, 14 is way too many.  Nothing in most of June and all of July. 

You just need to train through the "races" and make up the additional volume post-"race."  In my schedule, I only race at the end of rest weeks (with the exception of my 2 A races -- one in July and one in November) and even when racing at the end of rest weeks, I still have additional volume to complete post race. 

Racing is a dessert.  Every once in a while its a super tasty treat, but it you have it all the time, the sugar will make you sick.

2011-04-11 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3439472

User image

Extreme Veteran
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-11 9:08 AM

I wouldn't be able to handle another day in the pool.  Just remember when you're doing your speed work to try and maintain your form improvements and not slip back. 

Yes, I don't think I ought to do all out speedwork quite yet.  I need to focus on rhythm and form. 

Ok, so I ran my 8 miles today.  I decided to take in some calories during the run to see if it made me feel stronger (even though I know I don't really need them for an 8 mile run).  I ate some Gu Chomps (all I had available).  I ordered some Gu Gels and want to use those once they're here.  I actually did find that consuming the Chomps made a difference.  I felt more energetic than I did last week on my run. 

My goal finish time for the half is 2:15.  When should I consume the gels to get the max benefit?  Do you rip them open and drink them?  Do you mix them with water and store them in a flask?  Sorry to ask such silly questions, but I've never used this product before.  I really want a strong finish, so I need to figure out this nutrition situation now. 

2011-04-11 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3438870

User image

Extreme Veteran
rizer22 - 2011-04-10 7:03 PM

Took the family to Bluff Point in Groton today. Never been there, but it was my understanding there is a main loop that goes around the point, that's pretty family freindly.  Somehow, I took a wrong turn and put us on the very rocky singletrack.  I have my 3 year old on the front of my bike on a "WeeRide" set up, my 6 year old on his new Specialized MTB, and my wife on hers, who is very beginner when it comes to technical stuff.  I felt awful putting them through that.  Mostly walked the bikes up the hills until we found the main trail again.  Ughhhhhh

1 hour and 45 minutes = 4.35 miles. Yell   Either way, it was a gorgeous day for weather, and great to get out and expose them to what I love.

That's what it's all about --- sharing the things we care about with our children!  I took my 6 year old, 4 year old, and 2 year old on a run/walk last week.  It was about a mile long.  We would run to a point (my 6 year old would take off!) and wait for the stragglers to catch up.  Obviously my 2 year old is slow.  It took us an hour to cover 1 mile.  1 mile!  Haha.  That's the perfect distance for them.  I don't even want to think about how long it would take my 4 year old to ride her bike 4 miles. 

2011-04-11 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3440033

Extreme Veteran
jarvy01 - 2011-04-11 12:45 PM

Yes, I don't think I ought to do all out speedwork quite yet.  I need to focus on rhythm and form. 

Ok, so I ran my 8 miles today.  I decided to take in some calories during the run to see if it made me feel stronger (even though I know I don't really need them for an 8 mile run).  I ate some Gu Chomps (all I had available).  I ordered some Gu Gels and want to use those once they're here.  I actually did find that consuming the Chomps made a difference.  I felt more energetic than I did last week on my run. 

My goal finish time for the half is 2:15.  When should I consume the gels to get the max benefit?  Do you rip them open and drink them?  Do you mix them with water and store them in a flask?  Sorry to ask such silly questions, but I've never used this product before.  I really want a strong finish, so I need to figure out this nutrition situation now. 

My general plan is one "right" before (0 to 15 minutes) and then one every 30 to 40 minutes during the race.  eat the gels right out of the packets.  Most running shorts have a pocket that will hold 3 or 4 without too much bouncing, or you can safety pin the tops to your waistband.

Remember, its not the first gel that is going to make you nauseaous (sp? wow that looks bad), its the 3rd or 4th one.  So you might need to rethink your plan midway if you start feeling pukey.  (i.e. no more gels, 1/2 a gel at a time, more water, less water, or, ultimately, out with the bad . . . )

2011-04-11 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3440097

User image

Extreme Veteran
bwingate - 2011-04-11 1:12 PM

My general plan is one "right" before (0 to 15 minutes) and then one every 30 to 40 minutes during the race.  eat the gels right out of the packets.  Most running shorts have a pocket that will hold 3 or 4 without too much bouncing, or you can safety pin the tops to your waistband.

Remember, its not the first gel that is going to make you nauseaous (sp? wow that looks bad), its the 3rd or 4th one.  So you might need to rethink your plan midway if you start feeling pukey.  (i.e. no more gels, 1/2 a gel at a time, more water, less water, or, ultimately, out with the bad . . . )

Thanks!  Do I just take a little swig of water with the gel, or doesn't it matter?  I have a little pouch in my race belt that I'll put them in, because there's only 1 Gu station on the HM course - at mile 10. 

2011-04-11 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3439344

User image

New Haven, CT

100s on 1:20 are pretty fast.  will put well in theFOP on the swim

2011-04-11 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3440247

User image

New Haven, CT
jarvy01 - 2011-04-11 2:04 PM

Thanks!  Do I just take a little swig of water with the gel, or doesn't it matter?  I have a little pouch in my race belt that I'll put them in, because there's only 1 Gu station on the HM course - at mile 10. 

strange that the GU is at mile 10.  i would want my last GU before then.  just rip it open and pound it.  drink as much water as you need for it to go down smooth.  Kelly got me on the cherry-lime roctane which seems to be working for me right now.  for long long runs (over 15 miles).  GU chomps are good too if you dont like he slime consistency.

2011-04-11 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3440247

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
jarvy01 - 2011-04-11 2:04 PM

Always take gels with water -- it helps your body digest them.  For a 2:15 goal pace I'd take gels at Mile 4, 7 and 10 (so about 35-ish minutes between gels).

2011-04-11 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3440381

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

Just get your body used to the gels or chomps, whatever you use and you won't feel like you want to puke.  You might get sick of the flavor and never want to see it again . . .

Just tear them open and suck 'em down right before an aid station and wash it with water

2011-04-11 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

I have been using the Hammer Perpetium Solids and used them for the 10 miles on Saturday.  For those that don't know perpetium is for races/runs over 2-3 hours.  It has the carb/protien content needed to keep from tearing the muscles up, and yet the carbs for energy.

I use orange and they taste great.  It takes about 2-3 minutes to chew them and swallow - so only downside is trying to breathe while chewing and not spitting them all over.  They don't give the instant energy the gels do, but the longer lasting consistent energy without the sharps kicks of the gels.  I wash them with water and use gatorade endurance for electrolytes. They come in tubes so I am figuring out the best way of carrying them once jackets become obsolete.

I am going to use them for the next half in preparation for the full in Oct.  I will still use gels for shorter stuff.  I hammer gels which have flasks that are easier to carry and use.

2011-04-11 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

Had a great 10 miles this past Saturday and ran into an older guy doing about 12 minute miles . . perfect for me and kept my HR down.

Did a very, very, very hilly 5k yesterday and was very happy with the results AND I didn't walk regardless of how steep the roads were (which allowed me to pass a bunch )

My nephew, Howie, who is 10 took 1st place in the kids 1/2 mile race!!!  It was funny . . he was neck in neck with a little girl in pink about 500 feet from the finish and he turned and saw her and did an "OH " look and kick it in gear.  It was funny.

2011-04-11 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque

Man I enjoyed my ride today, stopped for a couple of pics along the way. They put in a new bridge for bikes and pedestrians across the Rio Grande so I detoured slightly to go check it out:

2011-04-11 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
8.6 mile run tonight. By far farthest run. Sure helps to have running partners. Had to walk a few times but not very much and I ran every hill. Now I need to keep it up.
2011-04-11 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3441202

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Artist - 2011-04-11 9:20 PM 8.6 mile run tonight. By far farthest run. Sure helps to have running partners. Had to walk a few times but not very much and I ran every hill. Now I need to keep it up.

CONGRATS!

2011-04-11 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3440866

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
abqtj - 2011-04-11 5:56 PM

Man I enjoyed my ride today, stopped for a couple of pics along the way. They put in a new bridge for bikes and pedestrians across the Rio Grande so I detoured slightly to go check it out:

Nice (and it looks warm).

2011-04-11 11:24 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Yeah it was nice today and almost no wind for once. I think it was about 58-60 degrees when I was out riding. Perfect day!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 87