Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2011-10-07 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!

That is awesome on the weight loss Meggan!  Keep up the good work!

Erica, it's really cool you are enjoying it so much up there.  Would Ryan be willing to move out there?

2011-10-10 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Happy Monday everyone! 

I had a good weekend.  We got some amazing rain and cooler temps.  Got a swim and run in on Fri, biked in the rain on Sat, then a run yesterday.  Have a swim planned for today, bike tomorrow, then a run on Wed.  My Rangers won the first game of the series.  3 more wins and we are back in the World Series!  Yesterday's game was rained out so they play again later this afternoon.  Came into work early this morning just so I can get off and watch the game.

We then head to Cleveland on Thur to visit some friends and won't be back until Mon. 

So, all in all I enjoyed my weekend...how was yours?

PS - I forgot to mention it last week, but I ate antelope for the first time ever while in Colorado.  It was amazing.  It was more tender than any beef steak I have ever had but the taste was almost exactly the same.  I bet if they served it to people and told them it was beef, most people would not even question it.  Colorado 'cuisine' is known for their wild game...so you see elk, buffalo, deer, etc. 

Edited by chichitao 2011-10-10 7:34 AM
2011-10-10 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey all! Catching up on posts and sounds like everyone is doing really good.

Tim-glad you have fun in Colorado

Erica-glad you are enjoying your new living arrangements

Meggan-Congrats on the weight loss

Sandra-that type of racing does sound fun! Would love it if they had something similar come to Missouri!

I am still hanging in there. I am due 2 weeks from today. Hoping that she comes a little early, but I am not sure that she is going to. Just getting tired of being pregnant and such. I posted a pic on my blog  www.growingreids.blogspot.com  I get home and don't get on the computer and don't have any pics here at work to post! I will keep you guys posted. Go to the dr. again today.

2011-10-11 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3717441

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

after a great September, October started off pretty rocky.  All was well up until last Wednesday when I woke up full of aches and pains, feeling like I swallowed 30 grit sand paper with a race coming up the following Sunday.  I went to work on Wednesday, but that was a mistake, and so I stayed home Thursday/Friday and took tapering to a whole new level:-)  Saturday we headed up to Kelowna, still not feeling great and yes I ran on Sunday, despite the fact I couldn't breathe, felt nausea starting at 12KM and think I may have been running a fever.  I did a lot of walking the last 7KM, but finished inspite of myself.  We had lunch and a wine tour scheduled for the afternoon, but after the first winery, it was decided that I should head back to the hotel with Ray(who was also sick) pack our bags and make the 4hr trip back home.

It wasn't the weekend I planned but I did get to celebrate 3 of my friends making new PB's.  It was a nice course, lovely scenery and the weather was perfect for running.

Still not feeling great today, but going to hit the track tonight and just coach my running group through a workout(I won't participate), and then hit the pool later for my masters group and see how it goes.

From now till next June, it will only be smaller events(5/10K's) as I focus my training on getting myself ready for my HIM.

2011-10-12 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran

We finally got some of our maternity pics to look at. These were taken the weekend after labor day.

(REID_RB_BLOGSP.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
REID_RB_BLOGSP.jpg (29KB - 11 downloads)
2011-10-12 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3720491

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Beautiful Pics Debbie!  What a nice memory to capture together as a family:-

2011-10-12 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Great pics! good luck in the next couple of weeks!
2011-10-12 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Very nice family pics there Debbie!

So sorry you were sick Sandra.  It sounded rough going through all that and am amazed you got through that race.  I'd have been laying on the couch eating my ramen soup (for some reason when I am running fever, ramen is the one thing that sounds good).  How did the running and swimming go?

I got a good bike ride in last night.  Weather is finally cooling off here and it makes the workouts so much more enjoyable.  Going for a run today.  Will probably be my last workout until next week as we head to Cleveland Thur-Mon.

So I am a little disappointed my Rangers lost last night.  They didn't play well at all.  We are still up 2-1 though with a late afternoon game today.  We might get a chance to play your Cardinals Debbie!

Happy Hump Day!

2011-10-12 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3720731

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Honestly I felt like lying on a couch and eating Ramen, but this weekend had been planned for so long, it was supposed to be a nice getaway with a half marathon thrown in to offset the guilt of the indulgences of the dinners and wine tours we had scheduled.  I was determined to go and hoped that I would either drink or run that bug out of my system, unfortunately I failed on both counts:p 

I went to the track last night, but put on my instructor hat and just led the group through a workout, I didn't do any running because I wanted to save what energy I had for swimming.  I could have easily been persuaded to stay home, rather than go swimming but I went and am glad I did.  It was a tough hour, but I felt better for having done it:-)

Tonight I do TRX and I'm going to start on Jorge's winter maintenance program.  Have to get used to being on the trainer on a regular basis, since the weather hasn't been great and now it is getting dark earlier.

No workouts, runs, or anything planned for Cleveland?  Leaving all the workout gear at home? 

Sorry about your Rangers, hope they do better for you today!

chichitao - 2011-10-12 8:25 AM

So sorry you were sick Sandra.  It sounded rough going through all that and am amazed you got through that race.  I'd have been laying on the couch eating my ramen soup (for some reason when I am running fever, ramen is the one thing that sounds good).  How did the running and swimming go?

I got a good bike ride in last night.  Weather is finally cooling off here and it makes the workouts so much more enjoyable.  Going for a run today.  Will probably be my last workout until next week as we head to Cleveland Thur-Mon.

So I am a little disappointed my Rangers lost last night.  They didn't play well at all.  We are still up 2-1 though with a late afternoon game today.  We might get a chance to play your Cardinals Debbie!

Happy Hump Day!

2011-10-12 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Working out in Cleveland?

I am not sure yet.  I want to take some stuff but not sure how much room I'll have in the suitcase.  Wife and I refuse to check any bags so we fit everything we can into 2 carry-ons.  Since we'll be up there for 5 days I am not sure I can make it all fit.  If I can I will definitely take it.

2011-10-12 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Everyone have a great weekend, I'll talk to you all next week.  Gotta get up at 4am for a 6am flight, ugh!

2011-10-17 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3706372

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Well it was a nice weekend, good weather, albeit a bit chilly.  Sunday mornings run was 2C(35F) to start, first time to pull out the running toque, gloves and long sleeved shirt.  It was a good run though, think I may have finally kicked my cold.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

2011-10-18 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3726498

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Glad you are finally over all that sickness there Sandra and had a good run in the cold.

We had a really good time in Cleveland.  Who woulda thunk it?  Weather was in the 50s-60s.  Beautiful fall colors in the trees.  Toured the rock and roll hall of fame.  Hung out with some good friends and ate way too much food!  The area reminded me a lot of where my brother lives outside Philly.  That was our last trip for a while.  Time to burn off all those calories gained.

Got in a short run to get back into it yesterday and have a group ride tonight.  We had a cold front move through and supposed to only reach 70 today but it is very windy.  Will have to be careful on the ride tonight.

My Rangers made the World Series!  Gonna have to find the time to fit that into my busy schedule now.  Games start tomorrow.

Happy Tuesday!

2011-10-18 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3726498

User image

Expert

Where did the summer go?  I also grabbed my long sleeve running shirt for a run today.  Kind of depressing although we havn't seen 35F yet but been close.  I have heard this winter is gonna be worse than last year -

corstan - 2011-10-17 9:53 AM

Well it was a nice weekend, good weather, albeit a bit chilly.  Sunday mornings run was 2C(35F) to start, first time to pull out the running toque, gloves and long sleeved shirt.  It was a good run though, think I may have finally kicked my cold.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

2011-10-18 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3728402

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

T1, glad you had a good weekend away, it is always nice to be able to enjoy the changing of the colors, top that off with good friends and food, what more can a person ask for. 

T2, we barely had a summer here, and they are also predicting an even longer, colder winter than last year up here.  Thankfully I won't be training for a full marathon this winter, don't think I have the mental strength to get through those really long runs in the wind, snow and below freezing temperatures.

I have now put down my money on my first HIM and am officially registered for the Oliver HIM on June 3, 2012!  Putting down the money makes it all the more real.  I won't be signing up for anything big before then, maybe a half marathon in February, but only to keep my running up through the winter. 

2011-10-18 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3728708

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Good for you Sandra on signing up for the HIM!

I too am thinking about signing up for one.  There is one that is part of that new HITS series that is only 45min away from my house on April 29th.  It's a brand new series with the first race beginning in Dec this year, so I want to see what the reviews are of those races before signing up.

2011-10-18 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3728744

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

That is awesome Tim, would love it if you were doing your first HIM too! I hear you on waiting for reviews, although it is sometimes fun to be the first to do a new Race, I have also found they are ripe with problems, so unless the outfit putting on the race has a proven track record with other courses/races, I would be hesitant to sign up if it were my first HIM. Then there is the course, how difficult is it?  The one I'm doing has been around for years, is highly recommended for first timers, and is just a 3 hr drive.  Your friends and family that come up to support you are also invited into the finisher area after the race to eat, drink and celebrate with you.

chichitao - 2011-10-18 12:38 PM

I too am thinking about signing up for one.  There is one that is part of that new HITS series that is only 45min away from my house on April 29th.  It's a brand new series with the first race beginning in Dec this year, so I want to see what the reviews are of those races before signing up.

2011-10-18 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran

Tim so it looks like we are going to be battling it out for the Series!!! I think the underdogs are going to take it Wink!

So hoping baby girl decides to make her appearance during the series! Monday is my due date and Oct. 27 I will be induced if she is not here. Had contractions last night from 11pm-3 am and then they stopped. I was very disappointed. Hopefully soon though! Will keep you all posted!

2011-10-18 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3728771

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

They finally put the maps up for the race and it looks very friendly.  The swim is in a slow river and will be wetsuit legal (always a plus around here).  Any later in the year and it gets too warm.  The bike is an out and back with only 1200ft of climbing and that is all in the first half, so downhill on the way back.  And the run has only 400ft of climbing.  It's a small scenic town right on the river.  At this point it seems like a perfect race.  I'll probably look at signing up in Jan as they would have put on 2 races by then.

I've only done one tri that was a first time race and it was the worst race I have ever done.  It was just a sprint, but could not imagine how bad it would have been if it was a longer race.  I am hoping that this series will be done well and it seems like the people that are organizing it are very experienced with triathlons. 

It's hard to dish out $250 for a race but that seems to be the going rate for HIMs.  They have an super mini sprint (100y S, 3mi B, 1mi R) that I am hoping I could get my wife to sign up for (and it is FREE!).  Would be cool to be able to root her on and participate in the weekend together.

corstan - 2011-10-18 2:48 PM

That is awesome Tim, would love it if you were doing your first HIM too! I hear you on waiting for reviews, although it is sometimes fun to be the first to do a new Race, I have also found they are ripe with problems, so unless the outfit putting on the race has a proven track record with other courses/races, I would be hesitant to sign up if it were my first HIM. Then there is the course, how difficult is it?  The one I'm doing has been around for years, is highly recommended for first timers, and is just a 3 hr drive.  Your friends and family that come up to support you are also invited into the finisher area after the race to eat, drink and celebrate with you.

chichitao - 2011-10-18 12:38 PM

2011-10-19 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Good thoughts being sent your directions, Debbie and Tim (and your wife)!

Question for the HIM finishers...what would you have done differently in your training leading up to the race?  What would you focus on more based on hindsight?

2011-10-19 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3729628

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
chichitao - 2011-10-19 9:45 AM

Good thoughts being sent your directions, Debbie and Tim (and your wife)!

Question for the HIM finishers...what would you have done differently in your training leading up to the race?  What would you focus on more based on hindsight?

Seconded. Thinking of you guys!

As for the question... probably nutrition, and running hills. I didn't know how hilly my run was going to be, and it was TOUGH. Basically, knowing the topo of the course helps. And know how much of what you're going to take in. I didn't, just kind of winged it. It ended up OK, but could have been much better. Probably could have had a better bike with less cramping.

2011-10-21 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3729642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Thank goodness the weekend is here!  Tomorrow I will be doing my first really long trail run(2-3hrs), I hope I am up to it, the weather is supposed to be wet, but if I didn't run when it rained here, I wouldn't run very much:p 

My husband will be doing the CPAT(candidate physical ability test) on Sunday, the next step to him being a Paid on Call Volunteer Fireman. It is supposed to be difficult, and has to be done under 12 minutes for him to continue on to the next step. He will have to wear at least a 50lb weighted vest.  Unfortunately he was in a car accident this week and has whiplash.  The person who hit him, was impaired(drugs) and was taken away by police in handcuffs. He is going forward with the test regardless,because he can't reschedule the test and he really wants this.

Not much else going on this weekend, possibly going to a charity dinner on Saturday.

Hope you all have a great weekend! 

2011-10-21 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Good luck on your long run Sandra!  And good luck to your husband as well.  That is a really noble thing he is trying to do and hope his race experience and fitness will get him through it.

Wife and I celebrated our 6th anniv yesterday, so we're going to go out for a nice dinner tonight.  Hope to get in a swim in before we go.  Got a 5k race tomorrow morning, then working Sun morning, and have to get in a 30mi ride Sun afternoon.  For our anniv my wife got me a gift certificate to a spa (I know, I know...queue the jokes! ).  I've never been before but she thinks a good massage would be good for me.  So, I've got a massage and man facial scheduled for Mon morning.  I'll let you know how that goes.  Not sure how I feel about hanging out in a robe walking around the business!

Have a good weekend everyone!

2011-10-21 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3733453

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Happy Anniversary!  Have a great evening out ;-p

I think your wife got it right and I think you are going to enjoy your experience.  I've never been to a spa, but I have had some non-therapeutic massage in the past(mostly get sports massage now). You'll have to fill me in on how it goes and if you enjoyed it.

chichitao - 2011-10-21 11:55 AM

Good luck on your long run Sandra!  And good luck to your husband as well.  That is a really noble thing he is trying to do and hope his race experience and fitness will get him through it.

Wife and I celebrated our 6th anniv yesterday, so we're going to go out for a nice dinner tonight.  Hope to get in a swim in before we go.  Got a 5k race tomorrow morning, then working Sun morning, and have to get in a 30mi ride Sun afternoon.  For our anniv my wife got me a gift certificate to a spa (I know, I know...queue the jokes! ).  I've never been before but she thinks a good massage would be good for me.  So, I've got a massage and man facial scheduled for Mon morning.  I'll let you know how that goes.  Not sure how I feel about hanging out in a robe walking around the business!

Have a good weekend everyone!

2011-10-23 8:55 AM

User image

Expert

Sandra - Congrats on signing up for the HIM!  You are gonna do great. Sorry to hear about your Husband and the whiplash.  Hopefully he can still do good at his test.  Here is a little clip for some firefighter inspiration.  This guy was at my 70.3 race in Racine, WI using it as a training race and then he did IMWI this year for 9/11.  He did the whole run in his complete firefighter gear!  Keep in mind that my Racine was was 100+ degrees-ouch.  Made me feel lazy when i was complaining to myself how hot it was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7M_Nnmbn_k&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL5FC31DAEC0BE48BE 

Tim - Congrats on your anniversary. Glad to hear you are thinking of making the plunge into HIM!  As far as HIM advice...  save your legs on the bike for the run.  Work on it during your training and know how hard you can push it on the bike and still have a good run.  I have learned to dread the run becasue I haven't yet figured this out and end up walking around mile 7.  From what I have read and learned is that you will have a much better race if lose 10-15 minutes on your bike and have a solid run then if you were to have a GREAT bike and then end up walking the run and losing 30-45 minutes.  Its all about balance and having the self disipline to believe in your training.  And I also second Pete- nutrition, nutrition, nutrition!

Debbie - We are also just sitting here waiting.  No news yet and no contractions.  My wife has never gone into labor by herself-kinda weird but dr. said here body just might be able to recognize the signs.  We are scheduled to be induced Monday at 8am.  I will keep you guys posted.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103